• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[360] NHL 09 Guild: The Mighty Dyacks of NeoGAF

We've made huge strides offensively, we just need to bury the puck. QVT has slowly become our top scorer, and we need to set players like him up.

If you find that you're getting bumped off the puck too much to score, you may want to switch to a bigger but slower sniper, or a power forward. That may be one problem, but the biggest is a lack of chemistry in the offensive zone. The improvement from last week to this has been gigantic and we need to continue our improvement by getting in our positions and then setting up a pass for a score.

Tell me if the following sounds familiar:

1) We get the puck into the zone on a breakout, but the handler is pinched into the boards and loses the puck.

2) We get the puck into the zone, take a shot, and miss the rebound.

3) We get into the zone, make a nice pass around the boards but nobody is there to pick it up.

4) The puck goes back to a defender on a faceoff and he is pressured backwards, losing the puck or dropping out of the zone.

Here's what we need to do for each:

1) There should be a forward slightly behind you in the center of the ice, or a D-man directly behind you. If not, wrap around the boards (see #3)

2) If you have a clear shot, take it, but realize how poor an angle these shots provide. FOLLOW YOUR SHOT to the net and behind it. Don' stop after you've made your shot. Also, you may want to take it around behind the net next time to set up an easy one-timer, as the D will likely follow you.

3) Tell the D-man opposite you that he needs to get up ice near the boards so he can receive the pass and keep the puck in the zone. Most defensive players don't realize how important this is.

4) As a defender, be ready to receive the pass and immediately move it up to the winger on your side OR to the defender parallel to you. If your back is against the blue line, knock the puck forward at least.

Above everything, skate to open ice. If your team has control of the puck, always skate to open ice. Otherwise, press opposing players to the boards.

Phthisis

We had a real good string tonight where our opponents quit the game because we were beating them so bad. Knocked in a couple good rebound garbage goals, too.

Also, especially tonight with sefskillz and Tsubaki and Zell Rocks, we were clogging up the neutral zone like nobody's business. The guy with the puck was consistently having to turn back because there were absolutely no options with speed between the blue lines. Great job, guys.

daw840

Thanks for the invite. I played a couple of games this afternoon in the league and it was a blast. Hopefully I can retain my spot in the guild.

daw840 - Right Wing - Playmaker - Righty

daw840 - Dave Wright - #23

I am more than willing to change it up as I am just now learning the different nuances of this game.

woodchuck

i've been changing my guy up based on the needs of the team.

i guess i'll do this:

woodchuck - Right Defenseman - Defensive Defenseman - Righty

woodchuck- Dr Tim Whatley - #5

Phthisis

The game matched us up against the IGN hockey forums team, and they wanted us to play human goalie, so QVT stepped his 6'9, 275 lb. frame between the pipes, and we crushed them 6-3 :lol NeoGAF represent.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
He scored the goal with 43 seconds left to send it into overtime. He took another shot at about 15 seconds left that nearly won it. When GAF team needed a goal with a mere 2 minutes remaining in overtime, who could they turn to?

Ivan. Drago. http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/645136

Also the GAF-IGN game was brilliant. 6-3 us with a 5 goal massacre by Marv including a super duper spinaroo.

I give up for tonight. I got one game in. We played well but just couldn't put the puck in the net. I keep having connection issues with EA for some reason. Hopefully these get fixed soon.

FightyF

Banned
DoctorWho said:
I give up for tonight. I got one game in. We played well but just couldn't put the puck in the net. I keep having connection issues with EA for some reason. Hopefully these get fixed soon.

I've been having some issues too in terms of lag, but last night was pretty good. Even with 5 vs 5 against IGN, it played smooth. And then come some game against 2 other guys, and it's bad. But tonight was pretty good. Only one game that was slightly off but I was D and so I didn't have to do critical things like faceoffs and deking, things that lag would completely throw off.

Also Doctor...I was meaning to put in the positions you prefer in that list. If you really want to change, I'll do it. I think though, that if we put in positions we prefer, and then sort it out, it may be a better thing. Of course, when playing games, I'm cool with mixing it up completely at this point.

I'm thinking that we list our preferences, and in a couple weeks time when we get enough responses from players (say, at least 35-40 of our 50 man roster), we'll have a much better picture and sort things out there.

At that point, we look to see who's best at what and look at the top performers and basically situate them in their preferred positions. For example, if there was a left wing spot left, and QVT and I were the options for that spot, QVT has a better points per game ratio, and thus should be there. Ie. It's like training camp...you have to earn your position. Now, that's not to say that puck hogs would be rewarded, but the fact is if people can score, there shouldn't be anything to stop them.

Chemistry is another consideration. Over time we'll get a better feel. Who knows, you could click with another player and become an effective duo. So anyways that's my reasoning for putting in PREFERRED position and player type.

I'll have to admit though, in single player, I can score from a lot of places with a lot of NHL scorers, picking corners and stuff. I thought I was able to transfer that to online, but so far it hasn't worked out, mostly because the players and player types need to be upgraded to match the performance of an NHL scorer.

DRAGO! Hey, I told you in the game, you should use the big shot way more often. If there's a clear line between you and the net, rip it! Anyways, that's what I think. I've noticed in this game that goalies don't cut down the angle, Q remember that one goal where the guy scored against us with a minute left? He was on our blue line and shot it over our goalie's shoulder. Ask any goalie that's just unacceptable, but it seems that EA put a limit to how far a goalie can come out to a shot.

So I think that even if you are a good 30 feet away and no one is in front of you, let her rip. Again IMO.

Next time we play I'll try changing my guy to a "Play Maker" and try to set you up every single time we're in the zone. My guess is that a play maker can get passes through traffic better, so hopefully we'll be able to connect more often. You were saying that it's easy to get the CPU to pass it to you all the time, maybe one element is because they are Play Makers. It would make sense if the game balanced out the types of players for the CPU dudes.

Anyways, I'm typing monster posts in this thread (as usual), I'll cut it here.

No wait, heheh, Q did you look at changing your equipment? If you edit your BaP, and change the sticks, you can get some that give more power, but reduce accuracy. And then you can change the curve, giving you even more power (while again sacrificing accuracy). So if you really want to build on having a lightning shot, that could really help.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
FightyF said:
but it seems that EA put a limit to how far a goalie can come out to a shot.
this is partially true and might be entirely true for ai goalies. there is a default limit to how far you can come out, in playing with goalie offline, there are a lot of times i noticed that i'll need to hold the right trigger and go into 'skate out' mode, just to get out of the default crease in order to cut off the angle. especially on shootouts, where i like to come out and match the skaters speed coming backwards, keeping the angles cut off. so, it's possible, at least with human controlled goalies... though im not sure everyone has picked up on it yet

woodchuck

one of the problems i had in a couple games is that...

the game would freeze for me for about 2 or 3 seconds, and then it speeds up really fast to catch up, and then i'm fucked in terms of positioning or if i have the puck

and im only having these type of connection problems with nhl 09. other EA games work just fine with my connection

FightyF said:
LOTS OF STUFF

On player preference: The problem with me or sef at center is that we're not going to generate goals and we're not the best passers (in traffic), either. Everybody should know this and, since either sef or I will be around, use our ability to screen to their advantage. When one of us is on the ice, we should be moving the puck back to the D to get shots from near the blue line and, with luck, we can deflect them or jump on a rebound.

On QVT: Our wingers need to get behind the net and feed him the puck at the top of the slot. Period.

Oh, right! I forgot to mention what you said about flex and blade curve.

Everybody needs to select a good stick. If you've changed your players weight, make sure you go back and select a more appropriate flex. Flex is the amount in pounds that it's going to take to bend the stick 1 inch (110 = 110 pounds to bend the stick an inch). If you want a harder slapshot from the point, change your weight and test out your shot in the shooting trial. In other words, if you're a big tall guy the more flexible sticks aren't going to generate the power you'll need, at least based on how EA calculates it.

Also, if you're finding that you can't get the puck high enough, switch to a blade curve that has a high shot tendency. A lot of our one-timer attempts have been going into the goalie's legs when there's plenty of room above. By changing the blade curve, even an un-aimed shot is going to have a lot of lift.

I had a lot of fun in those games last night. Too bad we didn't win more, but chemistry should take care of that eventually. Thanks a lot to Justg for the defenseman instruction. I still might prefer wing, but defense is really fun.

FightyF

Banned
dollartaco said:
On player preference: The problem with me or sef at center is that we're not going to generate goals and we're not the best passers (in traffic), either. Everybody should know this and, since either sef or I will be around, use our ability to screen to their advantage. When one of us is on the ice, we should be moving the puck back to the D to get shots from near the blue line and, with luck, we can deflect them or jump on a rebound.

On QVT: Our wingers need to get behind the net and feed him the puck at the top of the slot. Period.

Good stuff. Once I update the OP in a few days in all aspects, I'll also include a link to your post above where you outline those 4 common scenarios with those solutions.

I was able to make it around behind the net multiple times, especially when the opposition had CPU defensemen (usually aren't aggressive enough behind the net)...we did try to dish it out in front, but those CPU defensemen do a decent job of clearing the front of the net. Maybe if we had Drago the Magnificent sitting at the faceoff circle? Or perhaps if I'm a Play Maker I could have better passing ratings that will help me pass it through traffic easier.

Here's a play that would be really simple and effective online.

zo5xv.jpg

1) Wing is bringing puck up along boards. He's probably going to face the most pressure by the time he gets near to the face off point.

2) Wing wraps puck along boards to D on opposite side. It's important that the Dman doesn't come up along the boards (to prevent breakaways in the middle), so the D-man breaks right when he sees the pass and should have enough time to get it.

3) Wing has continued behind the net and the Dman passes it immediately back to him. At the same time, another wing (not center) should move towards the slot.

4) Wing behind net hits wing in slot for a well-positioned slot.

Now, this is all theoretical, but the wrap around pass to begin the play is what will immediately generate a much better attack for us as it forces their forwards (usually human controlled) to play the point. I haven't indicated where the other Dman and center should be (to cleanly demonstrate the main actors), so...

The Dman on the puck side should trail his wing into the zone. This varies from the other Dman, who only breaks to the boards to receive the pass (so he doesn't leave too big a hole open in the center.

The center should move to the empty space to the left of the net to screen the goalie, draw a defender, or help out the wing if he's stuck along the boards.

Edit: The shooting wing in this example is QVT or another power forward. He's a bit slower and has a hard shot, so the other two forwards are more appropriately placed deep in the zone.

X26

Banned
Might be going soon myself. If no one else is on I'll jsut play some random ranked OTP to get a game or two closer to the next card.

X26

Banned
Oh and I logged on for a sec this morning and played a game and noticed everyone's stats are up now, so yay. Although my SO record and VS record is wrong, and I've lost 2 assists it seems

Doytch

I'll be getting on in a few. Transmission lines, electromagnetic fields, and other useless crap I'll never use can all go suck themselves.

X26

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
How do you do this?

xbox live -> online game modes -> custom online team play

make sure you select ranked match or the game won't count towards your progress

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'll on in about 15-20 mins. I need to change up my stick and blade I think because my wrist shot doesn't seem to be generating enough velocity, or consistently hitting the corners.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'm in the dressing room, anyone jumping on?

nvm, I see you guys are in a game, I'll just wait.

And everyone's stats are back, huzzah! Need to get that grade back up, all those early losses took there toll.

Doytch

OK, I've tried out a few configs, and I'm liking this one.

Doytch - Left Defenseman - Offensive Defenseman - Righty

hobart

Place me on the "to be added list." I've asked a few times in the former thread... but... seeing as how we have an official one... might as well put it here!

Seems as if we have a lot of Offensive D guys. I'm really not against starting up someone pretty tank on D... especially if it means I can play (*BIG WINK*)

Anyway handle is: AJ The HeD

I'm on frequently... XBL Friend me... or find me in game... pretty sure you can send me an invite via the club that I started: Salem Sellouts.

Cheers!

Edit: Currently I'm playing as a Center/Playmaker. I don't have any experience winning draws in this mode, however, I do win them almost all the time in Player Vs Online and against the comp. But... again, I've got no problem playing as a D man with D on his mind.

X26

Banned
Hit 20 games played and got +4 attribute points per category, not bad. i'm guessing +5 for the nect one, but getting up to 65 games is going to take awhile

Phthisis

dollartaco said:
Here's a play that would be really simple and effective online.

zo5xv.jpg

I like the idea, but it should be the right winger who gets that pass against the boards and not the defenseman. An interception along any point in that pass and the other team is going the other way with an oddman rush.

That said, it's tough to pull off if that winger has to hold up at the line before the puck is dumped around or is slow.

woodchuck

im also hesitant to even go past the blue line(to keep the puck in the zone) since everyone seems to cherry pick in this game

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
i think 2 passes and shooting is the key to us potting more goals. it seems like when we actually get a pass we all go 'holy shit, a pass, i better shoot!' and then a second later notice that guy that was wide open with a goalie already committing to your position. i think it'll come with more practice, the game will slow down for everyone and we'll be able to recognize when a defense has broken down and find those open areas and open guys... identifying when a shot is just going to be a useless shot, and then making another pass, getting the puck back to the point to let a d man start us over or trying to get the puck to some open ice is going to be key

but with that said, we do need to make our decisions quicker, me included. i get bumped off a puck the second im going to make a play so often, it's frustrating. i think it'll come with more practice, i felt like we were improving last night anyway.

I'm up for tonight. I'll play D again or offense if there is room. I read some defensive and break out theories today, so I'm pretty amped to play again.

FightyF

Banned
hobart said:
Place me on the "to be added list." I've asked a few times in the former thread... but... seeing as how we have an official one... might as well put it here!

Oh yeah sorry, thanks for the reminder, I'm going to put you in the appropriate spot in the waiting list consdiering you posted earlier in that former thread.

Keep in mind that I won't be updating the OP until tomorrow or the day after. If I ever forget about you please remind me, I got a lot of stuff going on at the same time here.

This goes to all those posting/PMing their player info, keep them coming! I'll update the OP in a couple of days, don't let the lack of update within the last 24 hours discourage you.

I got to finish some stuff here, I'll be on maybe after 11pm if anyone's gonna be on.

Sandman42

I had some really fun games tonight with you guys. It seemed like we were clicking well with passing and positioning after a few games. :D

daw840

Yeah, tonight was a lot of fun. I found out something that really pisses me off about this game. The jerseys. Why, OH WHY, can't we have an away jersey and a home jersey?!? The last game we played was white on white.......

Phthisis

daw840 said:
Yeah, tonight was a lot of fun. I found out something that really pisses me off about this game. The jerseys. Why, OH WHY, can't we have an away jersey and a home jersey?!? The last game we played was white on white.......

We can. Press X in the lobby screen before you ready up.

Also, very important thing for everyone who plays defenseman: it is absolutely essential to playing your position that you get your passes away to the forwards as fast as you can. Skate ahead if you can, but if you reach the blue line and still have the puck, you need to either pass it or dump it. Make smart plays, obviously, but if nobody is open, just send it into the neutral zone.

We had so many breakout attempts tonight foiled by the inability of the defense to hit the forwards on the attack, and the other team would take over possession and come right back at us. In hockey, the effectiveness of your rush attack is all funneled through the defenseman who picks up the rebound or loose puck in the defensive zone and passes it up the ice.

FightyF

Banned
Phthisis said:
We had so many breakout attempts tonight foiled by the inability of the defense to hit the forwards on the attack, and the other team would take over possession and come right back at us. In hockey, the effectiveness of your rush attack is all funneled through the defenseman who picks up the rebound or loose puck in the defensive zone and passes it up the ice.

And if there is a problem with the opposition anticipating your passes and taking away your passing lanes, tell the forwards to come back a little more to make shorter passes.

We had troubles against one team last night, and once we made shorter passes we were able to break out and get more chances. By then though it was too late.

Top Bottom