• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[360] NHL 09 Guild: The Mighty Dyacks of NeoGAF

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
got my beer league tonight at 10, so i can't make it. i should be around more for games this week though

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Yeah, a lot of teams have now figured out how to exploit a human goalie. If you go behind the net, not really behind just past the red line, the human goalie must magnetize to the post or you can score a goal off him. However, when he magnetizes to the post, you can pass to the front of the net (or side) and he won't unmagnetize (making words up) fast enough to slide across and make the save.

It's not even fun to play goalie against a team that just exploits the hell out of the game. If they're not exploiting the human goalie, they're abusing the AI goalie. Swoop from the boards to center ice and fire high post far side. Goal ~90% of the time.

boo7z

Has anyone had issues connecting to only EASHL games? I'm able to play ranked and unranked matches no problem but there seems to be a problem with my connection for EASHL. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
It's probably not you. The lobby system is atrocious. There's been a couple of times with me and someone else where we've literally tried for about 8 minutes before finally being able to get a match going.

boo7z

squatingyeti said:
It's probably not you. The lobby system is atrocious. There's been a couple of times with me and someone else where we've literally tried for about 8 minutes before finally being able to get a match going.

I had to had port 8080 to my forwarding list. Works fine now.

squatingyeti said:
Swoop from the boards to center ice and fire high post far side. Goal ~90% of the time.
That's why there's a defense. Nobody should be allowed to freely glide across the middle of the offensive zone like that. It would probably be goal in the NHL 90% of the time too if defenses allowed it. :D

FightyF

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Yeah, a lot of teams have now figured out how to exploit a human goalie. If you go behind the net, not really behind just past the red line, the human goalie must magnetize to the post or you can score a goal off him. However, when he magnetizes to the post, you can pass to the front of the net (or side) and he won't unmagnetize (making words up) fast enough to slide across and make the save.

It's not even fun to play goalie against a team that just exploits the hell out of the game. If they're not exploiting the human goalie, they're abusing the AI goalie. Swoop from the boards to center ice and fire high post far side. Goal ~90% of the time.

Yeah that first one is the goal I was talking about in the last thread, usually a goal, but if you have human defense neither should be an issue.

I remember a few games where people were attempting the goal line play and this is all they could muster and we shut them down pretty easily.

Easier said that done, yes, but it's something we can work at. Again, I'm sorry for not playing that much often, I got the sound working (bad optical cable...it was from monoprice I thought they were good?), just gotta swap that cable each time I go from PS3 to 360 and with WO:HD out that's gonna happen a lot.

Priority #1 is to update the OP, I'll get on that. Live went down last night for the upgrades, right when I wanted to do it. I'll see if I can do it now after I address all my PMs here.

Kingpen

I'm about 99% sure that I think I am going to trade NHL09 in today for a pre-order for Dead space.... 2k9 has won the war again for me this year, and I'm finding that I am drawn more to NHL2k9's franchise mode with the varied results I get each game. Participating in the EASHL has been fun with you guys, but there just is too much inconsistency with lag and money goals to make it fun. Also, in the gameplay of NHL09, I'm just tired of seeing George Laraque type players doing crazy dekes that only the superstars should be able to do.

Please feel free to give my spot on the roster to someone on the waiting list.

EDIT: I did let NHL 09 go today in trade... hope you guys master the exploits and win the cup!

How do you do spin-o-ramas and other fancy dekes?

My buddy pulled a spin move in a shootout and he won't tell me how or he really does have no clue how he did it

BigJonsson said:
How do you do spin-o-ramas and other fancy dekes?

My buddy pulled a spin move in a shootout and he won't tell me how or he really does have no clue how he did it

yeah, i've seen it done online too....NO clue

daw840

I am also a little curious about this. I have seen people actually skate backwards to the goal and spin around and shoot.

Shitty

I've only played 2 online games with one of my friends from work

First game he won 2-0
Second game he won 1-0 in a shootout

Both times he pulled off a spin move =/

All I seem to be able to do is skate in and try and one time or wire it since its so easy to get someone off the puck

FightyF

Banned
BigJonsson said:
My friend said he hit the vision control button and was able to do the spin-o-rama shot......

I will try it later

Yeah you hold it down and then go to your opposite hand IIRC and you do a spin. Haven't noticed it being abused online though because a hit still flattens you and the puck goes in an unpredictable direction. Sometimes it's more useful to try a deke sending the puck in along the boards, and if they hit you, your team-mate can come in and scoop this up.

I'd like to apologize for not updating the OP in a timely manner, and want to thank purg3 in keeping the games going! If anyone here played Resistance with the GAF clan, you saw that it took a dedicated player (Kittonwy) repeatedly posting reminders of game nights where everyone played at the same time. With all the great Fall games coming out, I think we may have to do that here. What do you guys think?

purg3

slept with Malkin
FightyF said:
If anyone here played Resistance with the GAF clan, you saw that it took a dedicated player (Kittonwy) repeatedly posting reminders of game nights where everyone played at the same time. With all the great Fall games coming out, I think we may have to do that here. What do you guys think?

Sounds like a good idea, but I think the problem is having the thread in the online forum, some people forget about it. Unless you send game times and updates through the NeoGAF NHL gamertag to remind people.

AirBrian

So do people not use the "User CP" link on GAF? It's so handy for checking to see if there are new posts in your subscribed threads.

AirBrian

pheeniks said:
i have no idea what that is. but we best get some games in tonight, it's been a while.
Really? Click on "User CP" in the top left of the page. It sends you to your control panel, where it lists all your currently subscribed threads. When you post in a thread, it automatically subscribes you to that thread. You can also manually subscribe to a thread without posting in it by using the tools menu next to the search menu. Anyhow, it's super handy for checking to see for new posts in your threads.

And I can't tonight. Still at work and won't be going home any time soon. :-( Damn fiscal year-end!

boo7z

I think everyone is frustrated with the unreadable disc / freezing sh*t. I downloaded the Mega Man 9 demo and after that NHL would freeze on me every other game. I kept on doing the clear cache thing and it didn't help. So I delete the Mega Man demo and guess what? Back to normal.

It obviously has something to do with a recent game or system update but I'm not sure what. I can't believe MS &/or EA hasn't been sued over this bug. It is terrible.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Drago coming out of retirement on Sunday night it is.

warcraft school rock band and fifa really got to me here but I kinda didn't want to tarnish his legacy as the greatest most dominant power forward or all time.

FUCKING NHL 09 . . . I spend a few hours trying to figure why my 360 wasn't working but apparently it is NHL 09 that is broken and gives bogus 'disc unreadable errors'. Bastards. I guess I'll clear the cache and hope that helps.

Grrrr.

/Rant.

Just downloaded today's patch, I seem to be getting A LOT more penalties. I was 40 games into my dynasty with only 23 power play chances, and now I've had three in one period

funkmastergeneral said:
Just downloaded today's patch, I seem to be getting A LOT more penalties. I was 40 games into my dynasty with only 23 power play chances, and now I've had three in one period

Sorry to be lazy but I gotta run, what does the patch include?

Also, why aren't any of us playing anymore???

woodchuck

so like, does nobody play this anymore?

me and pheeniks play pretty consistently. still a lot of fun. the patch seems to make it harder to score and remove some of the exploits. also, getting into a game seems to be easier with less of the blank screens

Zzoram

I just got this game, and I created a pro that plays left wing. I'm still pretty new so if there is a GAF crew that is sorta new as well, I would like to play with you guys.

Gamertag: Zzoram

I have a Gold card to redeem, I just haven't entered the code yet, so my account may show up as silver. I plan to redeem it soon though, I just don't have anyone to play online with yet.

PBY

Banned
okay guys, am i doing something wrong? i literally play this game every day for 2-3 hours, and i never see anyone in the dressing room. Whatever, if anyone wants to play me 1 v 1, here my tag peterb0y...

Top Bottom