• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[360] NHL 09 Guild: The Mighty Dyacks of NeoGAF

X26

Banned
Atleast 2 of us on now, although I'm going to be away for a few mins fixing something to eat

AJ and me just netter gaf a nice 4-1 win though, boom-shaka-laka-laka-boom

FightyF

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Holy crap, I just got back from being banned :( ... Stupid too human thread. I thought people weren't allowed to troll it and someone tried to do it rather subtly with a photoshop and calling them out got me banned lol.

Anyway, I've been playing as a goalie and I'm fairly good. I noticed Fighty has been trying to catch on, but I've got a pretty good handle on the position now. I actually played goalie when I was younger, which helps a little with the angles.

Yeah I played goalie in ball hockey leagues, so I'm accustomed to cheating to sides and cutting down angles, but the problem I had was with the camera. I've found that the Be a Pro cam set to low is the best, and it seems that you have too.

BTW, did you check your online messages in the game? Until you do I can't send an invite (gives me a "fail to send" message).

Has anyone else noticed chugging in the game when playing the goalie with the camera set to low? Every game I've played online has had it set to low and the chugging can really screw you, but I think I'm adjusted to it.

Finally, do you have to use the person you created offline for your online play? For instance, I used my real name for offline, but I wouldn't want that as my online guy. Do I have to start a new guy and build his stats?

Yeah it chugs but it's better for seeing up ice.

Go to "Performance Tracker" in the main menu to change your online guy.

I'm ready to play and I'd be more than happy to take the goalie position if you don't like it fighty.

I'm not so averse to it now, but yeah if you are playing a season as a goalie you'll have way more experience so whenever you are on and we have 6 players go for it.

EDIT: One more thing, the goalies are backassward EA. If you say you're right handed, they put the glove in your right hand :lol. That's right, so if I was playing your baseball game, I would field the ball, drop it to my left hand, fling the glove off, grab the ball with my right hand, and throw it.

I think what they really meant was their "catching" hand.

Just to keep everyone up to date on the team management, as I'm going to be busy in the next little while...
Gonna try to update my list of players tonight (but not on the thread) and send out PMs as well. Let everyone know deadline is on the 24th. When the dust settles by the 25th, I'm redoing the rosters, including those on the wait list, popping those who have yet to accept invites on the wait list, and everyone else off.

I'll update the OP during the weekend. "Finalized" list of players and wait list, remove temporary players if needed (looks like they may all get in), update pics, position details, etc.

purg3

slept with Malkin
FightyF said:
Just to keep everyone up to date on the team management, as I'm going to be busy in the next little while...
Gonna try to update my list of players tonight (but not on the thread) and send out PMs as well. Let everyone know deadline is on the 24th. When the dust settles by the 25th, I'm redoing the rosters, including those on the wait list, popping those who have yet to accept invites on the wait list, and everyone else off.

I'll update the OP during the weekend. "Finalized" list of players and wait list, remove temporary players if needed (looks like they may all get in), update pics, position details, etc.

Let me know if you need help with any of that stuff.

A quick update for the OP: I've switched from Right Wing to Center - I get a lot of time at center so I figured I ought to switch positions.

FightyF

Banned
Yeah I will need some help, because you can't send mass PMs on GAF, you have to send the same message individually to all, and you can't send them one right after the other, like posting, you have a wait a minute or so between each one, so it takes a while to send to 20 people.

I've got their GTs, now I just gotta find out their GAF handles, at that point I'll make a list and we'll split it up between us. I'll type a message you can copy and paste.

Thanks!

FightyF

Banned
-edit- purg3 I just found out that you only have to wait 30 seconds between messages, it makes it a lot easier. Disregard this message, i can send them myself.

I'm just gonna keep it here so it's easy for me to copy and paste! Thanks for the offer though.

Ok purg3, here are the people we have to send it to, I'll split it up in half so we each take each:

Your list:
Kifimbo
yodathesoda
blackMamba1187
Frillen
Treo360
SIP YEK NOD
Blakero
TurtleSnatcher​

Mine:
ghostmind
BarrelMakingPenguin
ALeperMessiah
MickD
Soroc
arne
Jazzy Network
JakOfTheShadows

Copy and paste the following for your subject and message:

Subject:
[NHL 09] Sept 24th is last day to join GAF team

This message is being sent out to everyone who expressed interest in joining the GAF NHL 09 team, but did not do so as of yet. Due to the large waiting list, we need to cut out invites that aren't being accepted, and those who have yet to own the game. This will be done on Sept. 24 (2 full weeks after the game's release).

There are 2 catagories of people here:
[LIST=1]
[*]Who have received invites, but are not accepting them
Solution: Go to the Xbox Live option, choose "Community", choose "Player Hub" and you should be able to check your messages there.
[*]Those who's GamerTags give the "fail to send" error, due to one of two reasons: (a) don't yet own the game, or (b) those who haven't checked the online feature and thus registered themselves on EA's servers
Solution: buy the game. If you have it, go to the Xbox Live option, choose "Community", choose "Player Hub" and you will register your GT to EA's servers, allowing for me to send you an invite
[/LIST]

[u]Those who have recieved, but have yet to accept invites[/u]
Kifimbo
DBShop
blackMamba187
SuperYlvis
BetaHawk
SIP YEK NOD
On The Rochks

[u]Those who have not set up their game to recieve invites[/u]
[i](those who don't yet own the game, or haven't went to the online portion of it [try going to the "Xbox Live" menu option, into the EA Sports League option, and clicking down the right analog stick to check your messages)[/i]
MINI Pez
ghostmind
PheonixOfFlames
ALeperMessiah
Dezed13
M1ckD
Soroc
arne360
JazzyJeff v2K

[u]Those who's GamerTag could not be found[/u] (add me "TerraRhythm" as a friend, and I can add you via another method by sending an invite over my Friends List)
JakOfTheShadows (I've sent a friend invite, add me)

Check out the official team thread here:
[url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335166[/url]

If you have any questions send them to FightyF via PM. If you have any legitimate excuses (ie. Hurricane Ike has affected many here) let him know so that you aren't cut from the team unfairly. If you are still interesting in joining but won't get the game for the next little while, let FightyF know and you will be added to the waiting list.

On the 25th, the team's roster will be finalized and all those in the waiting list wanting to get in will be put on the team if there is enough space.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks for your help purg3! Note that I used the (noparse)(/noparse) tags so that you can just copy and paste that and it should format beautifully in the PM with lists and indents.

BTW there was one guy who epik had on his list "Dezed13", but I searched and couldn't find who posted that GT...I also checked the forum's userbase for that name but couldn't find anyone. Whoever it was, they haven't posted in either thread so they're gone.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Ok Fighty, I'm in. I've sent a FR to the NHL 09 Gaf GT and awaiting acceptance. Anyone can feel free to add squatingyeti.

GT: Squatingyeti
Player: Squating Yeti
Position: Goalie
Style: Butterfly
Number: 25
Willingness to take shots in the face for the team: I'm your Huckleberry.

Doytch

Damn FightyF, I know what you mean about Offensive D playing as a forward. I just played a game as RW, scored 4 and got 4 assists. The slapshot is devastating, and you can destroy people while in the corners. :lol

purg3

slept with Malkin
pheeniks said:
me and woodchuck are in. anyone else?

michael beasley with a hat trick!

I'll be on shortly, gotta rematch my friend.

EDIT-in lobby now

GG tonight, didn't lose a match. I think I had 12+ points in 4 games and got my Veteran card too.

FightyF

Banned
X26 said:
3 -> 4 (20 games) -> 4 (65 games) -> ? (105 games + B grade) -> ? (150 games + A- grade)

Yeah i'll update the OP with stuff like that when I update it this weekend. Maybe a faqs section or something.

daw840

Online now if anyone wants to join. I want to try my new power forward, I seem to be a lot better offline with him. I just hope that translates online.

X26

Banned
Yea it seems we're finally getting used to the gameplay and playing together, you look at the recent club games in the menu lately and the win streaks are really good. Probably won't be too much longer until we're at .500

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Let me protect your net [/hurlihy boy]

CAN WE STOP THIS CRUEL GAME! Let the boy protect your net. [/Chris Farley]

Let me shut out the other team [/hurlihy boy]

For the LOVE OF GOD! He's already protecting your net, just let him shut out the other team [/chris farley]

:( :(

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'll be on later tonight, anyone else going to be on? Can't wait to get some games in since I haven't played in a few days.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Wow, I was just playing some team online of my own. Does it always chug so bad for the goalie when there's over 6 people playing in the game? How the heck are you supposed to play the position that requires exact angles and positioning when the game chugs so hard, not because lag, but because EA coded it so badly? It chugs offline if you play using the low camera and goalie, just not as bad.

Oh well, kept my team in it w/ a save % of 93, but they were like the three blind mice trying to find the cheese lol.

X26

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Wow, I was just playing some team online of my own. Does it always chug so bad for the goalie when there's over 6 people playing in the game? How the heck are you supposed to play the position that requires exact angles and positioning when the game chugs so hard, not because lag, but because EA coded it so badly? It chugs offline if you play using the low camera and goalie, just not as bad.

Oh well, kept my team in it w/ a save % of 93, but they were like the three blind mice trying to find the cheese lol.

I played goalie once in random teamplay, and the first first shot I was lagged so bad I couldn't make it across in time anbd said fuck this and left, which is why oif you look at the clubs stats I have a 30.00 GAA :lol

Can't remember if the room was entirely full though

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
X26 said:
I played goalie once in random teamplay, and the first first shot I was lagged so bad I couldn't make it across in time anbd said fuck this and left, which is why oif you look at the clubs stats I have a 30.00 GAA :lol

Can't remember if the room was entirely full though

Yeah, problem is, it's not even lag most of the time. The game engine itself can not handle the low viewpoint for goalies. Even playing offline, if there's action coming down to your side, you'll get some chugging. Online, it can be downright ridiculous. You mean to scoot over just a tad, it chugs so hard you fly across the crease.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
So what's the consensus here? I need some work when good players get a breakaway, but outside of those I stop most everything. Should I not play goal and focus on having a forward?

Treo360

squatingyeti said:
So what's the consensus here? I need some work when good players get a breakaway, but outside of those I stop most everything. Should I not play goal and focus on having a forward?

No, we need a solid goalie. Last night playing against that #2 ranked team proved that there are way too many people looking to exploit that Goalie "glitch."

BTW, what was up with the missed passes last night? That shit was way annoying. Although I know that my BAP player was to blame as I just checked my stats and I was at 65% for passing! Fuck, I need to play offline more to build the stats.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
You can build stats offline for your online player? Also, I'm really solid on everything in goal, it's just the breakaways. There's no way to get the AI to simulate what real people do on a breakaway so I can't really practice it.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Unbelievable, teams exploit the AI goalie by swooping and going high with their shots, but if you play human goalie they go behind the net and you magnetize to the post so you can't stop the one timer.

Also, unless they screw up on their breakaway there's not much chance you'll stop a good player. Game totally favors the other players vs. the goalie.

Maybe I'm just venting as I just had the worst game ever.

Phthisis

squatingyeti said:
Unbelievable, teams exploit the AI goalie by swooping and going high with their shots, but if you play human goalie they go behind the net and you magnetize to the post so you can't stop the one timer.

Also, unless they screw up on their breakaway there's not much chance you'll stop a good player. Game totally favors the other players vs. the goalie.

Maybe I'm just venting as I just had the worst game ever.

Not your fault. Those other jackasses were constantly interfering with me all over the ice when I didn't have the puck, and not only me, but with our other players. No penalties, of course, but I got called twice on bullshit stick lifts or legitimate checks.

I'm pretty much done with this game online. It fucking sucks. It's unblanced, there are too many goal exploits, people play like assholes. It sucks.

When the roster update comes out, it will go back in my 360 for franchise mode, but that's about it.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Yeah, it also encourages hitting people without the puck. It only calls it sometimes and people just check the hell out of whoever is open. When I play OTP I never give up more than two goals, but twice now playing club I've given up a large number.

I'm not sure what's worse, having the AI goalie let stuff go or having the other team just move the puck back and forth on a breakaway until the goalie has to commit. In real life, the player must commit first, but if you wait here, you don't stand a chance.

X26

Banned
honestly, if you end up getting matched up with a team your recognize from division 1, just leave, not worth dealing with all the exploits. The top teams for example, every member averages well over 1 goal a game, many 2, that does not happen when you're playing legit.

I enjoy playing EASHL, but the amount of exploits and cheap play make it a joke as far as it being a competitive league.

FightyF

Banned
X26 said:
honestly, if you end up getting matched up with a team your recognize from division 1, just leave, not worth dealing with all the exploits. The top teams for example, every member averages well over 1 goal a game, many 2, that does not happen when you're playing legit.

I enjoy playing EASHL, but the amount of exploits and cheap play make it a joke as far as it being a competitive league.

Or we can pause the game forever and annoy them to no end, forcing them to quit. Get a freebee win. That's my exploit. Heheh I'm such an asshole.

Sorry guys I haven't played much. Was gonna try last night, but my sound isn't working on the 360. Gonna try some stuff tonight to see if it's the optical cable or something...but it's odd and I'm worried it's my 360. Yes I did check the output settings. And my optical switcher (yes it's a ghetto setup and I'm not using a reciever).

Top Bottom