• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

This is coming in the mail today and I foresee countless hours actually making my dude.

And is there anything I should know before playing it? Like not opening the chests in FFXII to get the Zodiac Spear? :lol

oatmeal

Banned
brandonh83 said:
This is coming in the mail today and I foresee countless hours actually making my dude.

And is there anything I should know before playing it? Like not opening the chests in FFXII to get the Zodiac Spear? :lol

There are a ton of downloadable characters. I'm using the Link 1 model. It's great.

Thinking about getting some Castlevania models. :D

What about when it comes to keeping/selling items/equipment... I read something about how if you keep... something... it makes getting some of the swords easier later on?

Anyway it just came a few hours ago, finishing up some stuff on Dragon Age before I take the plunge.

Celcius

°Temp. member
After debating on whether or not to get this game for the longest, I finally picked it up and yesterday I cleared the story. It's definitely one of my favorite ps3 games now. I've never liked a zelda game but this game is awesome. :D

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just cleared the game on FROM mode. This time I also saved the princess. :D
I don't think I'll be trying spelunker mode though. :lol
Has anyone here platinum'd it yet?

BeeDog

celcius said:
Just cleared the game on FROM mode. This time I also saved the princess. :D
I don't think I'll be trying spelunker mode though. :lol
Has anyone here platinum'd it yet?

Yep. If you managed to finish FROM Mode, then Spelunker Mode is a frickin' piece of cake, especially if you upgraded your main weapons decently in the previous run. Spelunker Mode uses the normal difficulty level when it comes to spawns and enemy health.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I thought spelunker mode would be like trying to beat megaman 9 without taking damage (aka near impossible) but I just beat the first temple on spelunker mode thanks to the encouragement. I'll see how far I can get.
Some of the comments people make to spelunker had me laughing :lol :lol

edit: Wow, just made it all the way to the flame temple in spelunker mode. I just might be able to go all the way...

oatmeal

Banned
What's up with people playing in the zoomed in camera?

God I couldn't stand it, changed it in minutes...

Classic 2D 3/4's for me. :D

I just started this today and I'm at the end of the third dungeon now. So far I'm loving it. For a Zelda clone it's so self-aware and focused on what makes that series so fun that I really can't fault it at all. Whereas I ironically want the Zelda series to go in a different direction, in this game I find it charming how I know exactly what will happen and what item I will find next just by looking at my surroundings.

I have two complaints at the moment, thought. The first is the blur that happens in the distance which looks kinda... odd. It's not ugly, but it's not attractive either. Just a puzzling artistic choice. It's a shame there's no option to change it in the screen menu, since you can customise so much stuff. The other is related to the UI, as I'm finding that the bars at the top of the screen which show your health and items often obscure the holes that shoot arrows at you from the top of the screen. I have to actively look to see if they're there and even then it's hard to sometimes judge just how far along the wall they are. Two minor niggles, but ones that could've been easily avoided.

But yeah, other than that it has great personality and charm, made even better by the fact I of course downloaded a Link skin and named my character appropriately. :D

Celcius

°Temp. member
Well, yesterday I made it to the dark tower (still in spelunker mode). I'll be tackling it tonight but it's the part I've been dreading (multiple floors & bosses w/o warps). I'm sure I can get through it if I just don't give up.

Davidion

Foliorum Viridum said:
I just started this today and I'm at the end of the third dungeon now. So far I'm loving it. For a Zelda clone it's so self-aware and focused on what makes that series so fun that I really can't fault it at all. Whereas I ironically want the Zelda series to go in a different direction, in this game I find it charming how I know exactly what will happen and what item I will find next just by looking at my surroundings.

I have two complaints at the moment, thought. The first is the blur that happens in the distance which looks kinda... odd. It's not ugly, but it's not attractive either. Just a puzzling artistic choice. It's a shame there's no option to change it in the screen menu, since you can customise so much stuff. The other is related to the UI, as I'm finding that the bars at the top of the screen which show your health and items often obscure the holes that shoot arrows at you from the top of the screen. I have to actively look to see if they're there and even then it's hard to sometimes judge just how far along the wall they are. Two minor niggles, but ones that could've been easily avoided.

But yeah, other than that it has great personality and charm, made even better by the fact I of course downloaded a Link skin and named my character appropriately. :D

You can set the camera to different angles in the overworld. The default camera angl threatened to make me blind.

Davidion said:
You can set the camera to different angles in the overworld. The default camera angl threatened to make me blind.
But I have no problem with it in the overworld. It's in the dungeons where the UI gets in the way, and I can't change the camera angle there.

Not that I want to - I just want the UI to be designed better!

OnPoint

oatmeal said:
Anyone got any tips on beating the final fucker?

Yeah, kill him.

Bring a couple potions and just stab away. He's seriously a pushover

AniHawk said:
About an hour in and yeah, this is pretty awesome.

It's the best 2D Zelda game since The Minish Cap, definitely better than either DS game. Enjoy it while it lasts.

AniHawk

So I'm at the 6th temple right now, and I really like the game, but the one thing that bugs me is the dungeon design. It's fun to go through once, but I hate that when you die, it just basically becomes this unfun challenge maze to get to the part where you died.

McLovin

I've been holding off but I think I'm getting this game today. I probably would have bought it sooner if it was a download on psn or something. Not saying I want it to be cheaper, but I would gladly download it off psn for full price.

Owensboro

celcius said:
Last night I finally cleared the game on spelunker mode! :D
Hah, holy crap dude. I don't even want to think about doing that. I get so careless at certain points in this game I probably wouldn't even make it past the first dungeon!

Davidion

Is there an easier way to grind for gold? My bitchy completionist side won't let me try the final dungeon without a maxed out giga sword. :lol :(

BeeDog

Davidion said:
Is there an easier way to grind for gold? My bitchy completionist side won't let me try the final dungeon without a maxed out giga sword. :lol :(

The easiest way to grind for money by far is by slaying zombies in the swamp area near the last dungeon. Keep killing them, leave one or two zombies alive, then leave and return and all zombies will respawn.

Facism

almost picked this up monday, but was stopped by completely useless employees not having any initiative at CEX Leicester. 6 employees on the floor, a massive queue, but only 1 guy manning the tills. Rest were sorting discs or trying to chat up the female employee whilst slowly stacking shelves. had to leave after 15 minutes of lining up when i realised the guy had only served 3 people since i stood there, plus my parking was running out.

Plebs couldn't get a job in Mcdonalds because it'd be too much hard work for them :/

Davidion

BeeDog said:
The easiest way to grind for money by far is by slaying zombies in the swamp area near the last dungeon. Keep killing them, leave one or two zombies alive, then leave and return and all zombies will respawn.

I've been doing this, but it really isn't all that fast considering the obscene amounts of money that it takes to max the damn thing out. Oh well

*twitch*

Celcius

°Temp. member
Playing on from mode instead of the default difficulty makes enemies drop more coins (and gold more often). Another good place for farming coins is the graveyard.

AniHawk

Foliorum Viridum said:
Isn't that the same as any of the old Zelda games, too?

Right, and this is 2010.

Don't get me wrong, I really love that this game was made, but I wish it was a little more modern or even clever in the level design.

I don't know, the whole charm of the game for me is the fact that the gameplay mechanics are based on the retro classics. It'd be a bit weird if I died in a room and respawned there or something.

I get annoyed with outdated game design in a lot of games, so I understand your complaint, but this is one of the rare instances when I'm not. It was honest about being a homage to that era and that's what I got. Managed expectations, I suppose.

AniHawk

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't know, the whole charm of the game for me is the fact that the gameplay mechanics are based on the retro classics. It'd be a bit weird if I died in a room and respawned there or something.

I get annoyed with outdated game design in a lot of games, so I understand your complaint, but this is one of the rare instances when I'm not. It was honest about being a homage to that era and that's what I got. Managed expectations, I suppose.

See, I think the overworld is pretty fantastic and not at all difficult to get around, and that's in part thanks to them not being 100% retro about it. I mean, if the overworld was supposed to be like Zelda 1's, there'd be less caves, less townspeople, very few sidequests at all, and no directions on where to go next. Aside from that, it's really the only part of the game where you use any of your items aside from the anchor/wire rod, which is kinda strange. I was hoping there might be some puzzles with some of the other magic spells, but it's pretty much the first two that ever get used, and occasionally the freeze spell is needed. The burn rod was almost unnecessary.

I guess I'll use this to segue into my final thoughts about the game since I just beat it:

I really do like this game a lot. It feels like something From Software did because they couldn't get permission from Nintendo to make a Zelda game and decided "fuck it, we'll do it anyway." And instead of being a cheap knockoff, it feels like a loving homage. And I'm sure part of it was due to Atlus's localization too (I'm not sure if "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this!" and "It's a secret to everybody" were in the Japanese version, but they were nice touches). And man, I called this game "Lego Zelda" months before release, kinda jokingly, but I didn't realize there'd be Death Mountain, Moblins, or blue centaurs. At the start of the game, I felt like it had this cool Link's Awakening vibe, probably due to the overworld, but now that I've beaten it, the overall experience felt more like the first game due to how long you stay in the dungeons.

It's weird, but in my mind I sorta consider it a Zelda game in the same way the Oracles or Minish Cap were. Not Nintendo's Zelda, but a pretty good approximation with some good additions. Of course, that's a little unfair to From Software to say that it's "like Zelda, but!" There are so many sidequests and things to do that the world feels more alive than any recent Zelda game. There are probably too many swords to go after, especially if you just wind up taking care of the Giga sword or Hero's sword, and I don't get the point of all the key items, but that stuff is optional. Regardless of how necessary some of that optional stuff is, others being actually useful, like the Hero Shield, empty bottles, and getting the three fairies (well, that's probably more of a neat extra than being useful), make exploring feel like you're actually accomplishing something... something else that I don't think has really been touched upon in an EAD Zelda since Majora's Mask.

And I guess it wasn't all Zelda, but a little Final Fantasy too. The character designs resembled them in parts, and stuff like Lake Garland and setting out to collect orbs from a castle are clearly references to the first game in that series (and starting the game by waking up is a classic video game cliche).

If From Software ever makes another one, I think it would be fun to go after the 16-bit world next, since I think they did a damn good job in the 8-bit. Not sure how that'd work though.

Overall, this is one of my favorite PS3 games. Right behind Valkyria Chronicles and A Crack in Time. It's just the type of game I like (probably because it's a video game and From Software made it to be a video game). Numerically speaking, I think it's an 8/10.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I finally got the trophies for "All Around the World" and "That's a Big Fat Sword".:D
Now I wish that I'd had this maxed out giga sword during my spelunker playthrough. One swing kills everything within a 1-mile radius.:lol

edit: The best way to farm gold is by playing From Mode and killing the enemies in the swamp near the dark tower. It only takes ~30 minutes to get 9999 gold.

Diablos

I finally got this game on Monday and really haven't been able to put it down.

Just got past the
Water Temple
. So much fun. Love the exploration, old school RPG vibe, simplistic yet addicting gameplay, graphics, music, setting, custom character options, everything.

It might be copying Zelda, sure... but it's done in such a way that allows it to stand for itself.

The data music, however, shamelessly copied the Dragon Quest series. :lol

Custom characters are pretty damn cool. I like downloading a bunch of them, then selecting a different one every time I play to keep it fresh.

You know, at times, it's a great idea to just jump into something blindly and hope its good. I had forgotten about this game and decided to give it a try. My previous knowledge of it consisted solely of a few screen shots(literally like two), so I had no idea what type of game it was. I had assumed it was some sort of turnbased RPG, but I really didn't know.

I am in love with this trip down memory lane. I mean, this game is brilliant on so many levels. I can't describe what I felt once I realized it was indeed a homage to the older style of zelda gameplay. It was right about the time I walked into the first dungeon and saw the enemies, the layout, the room design...fuck me, this is greatness and no one can tell me anything different.

Clipper

I've been playing the game for the last two weeks and this morning I got my Platinum Trophy at last! I bought the game at launch, but was distracted by other games until now.I thoroughly enjoyed the whole game except for one thing...

How can they justify the times you have to beat on the Dash Circuit tracks? It took me many hours of play and a few different play sessions (interleaved with finishing Spelunker Mode) to train my skills so they were good enough to beat those two tracks under the required time. I don't know how many times I had to use that restart button, but it was a lot. Getting times like 20.05 for the first one was especially infuriating. At least the second circuit was a little more forgiving, but I really do think they set the bar too high on these.

On the bright side, I do really love how they changed most of the main quest dialogue for Spelunker Mode. Especially the Aqua Sage part. For the rest of the game, the nostalgia, parodies and general style of the game were all pretty great, as I was expecting. I do look forward to a sequel, but hope that they at least allow a little more room for error on Dash Circuit if it returns.

OnPoint

abstract alien said:
You know, at times, it's a great idea to just jump into something blindly and hope its good. I had forgotten about this game and decided to give it a try. My previous knowledge of it consisted solely of a few screen shots(literally like two), so I had no idea what type of game it was. I had assumed it was some sort of turnbased RPG, but I really didn't know.

I am in love with this trip down memory lane. I mean, this game is brilliant on so many levels. I can't describe what I felt once I realized it was indeed a homage to the older style of zelda gameplay. It was right about the time I walked into the first dungeon and saw the enemies, the layout, the room design...fuck me, this is greatness and no one can tell me anything different.

I hope you enjoy it the whole way through.

Read this only after you've completed the game, and tell me if you agree or not:

Did it start to feel a bit like work in temple 5? Maybe it happened for you in 6, but you have to agree the final area trudges along. It's overall still a great game and tribute, but the ending areas could have been given a bit more love

IrishNinja

damn this game. i'm never gonna find the 5th dungeon! ;_;

i can see its at the top-right corner of the map. i try from south of that, and nothin (hookshot cant reach). i try from the west, and its a dead-end filled with purple death-goo. sadness.

Clipper

IrishNinja said:
damn this game. i'm never gonna find the 5th dungeon! ;_;

i can see its at the top-right corner of the map. i try from south of that, and nothin (hookshot cant reach). i try from the west, and its a dead-end filled with purple death-goo. sadness.
Neither of those is the correct way. Here's some directions that might help:
From the castle, go East until you cross the bridge, then follow the path South and quickly curving back to North. Where you would usually turn off East to go to the desert, continue North instead. Keep going North, using the Wire Rod on the way, and you will find Jim's Shack at the bottom of the volcano and you should be able to find the way from there.

OnPoint said:
I hope you enjoy it the whole way through.

Read this only after you've completed the game, and tell me if you agree or not:

Did it start to feel a bit like work in temple 5? Maybe it happened for you in 6, but you have to agree the final area trudges along. It's overall still a great game and tribute, but the ending areas could have been given a bit more love
Will do, but it may take me a while. For some reason, complex puzzles I can run through, but the simplistic of things tends to breeze right over my head. I damn near flipped my ps3 over in agony after being lost in the same dessert loop for over an hour(right outside the inn) trying to get to the damn third temple. The same thing constantly happened to me while playing wind waker as well...its like the answer is right in front of me but I look past it. I'm so glad I don't function like this is the real world :lol

Clipper

abstract alien said:
Will do, but it may take me a while. For some reason, complex puzzles I can run through, but the simplistic of things tends to breeze right over my head. I damn near flipped my ps3 over in agony after being lost in the same dessert loop for over an hour(right outside the inn) trying to get to the damn third temple. The same thing constantly happened to me while playing wind waker as well...its like the answer is right in front of me but I look past it. I'm so glad I don't function like this is the real world :lol
Did you not talk to the NPC (in the inn IIRC) that tells you to
walk between the cactuses
?

Clipper said:
Did you not talk to the NPC (in the inn IIRC) that tells you to
walk between the cactuses
?
Yeah, I did, but I'm not sure what I was smoking at the time :lol

Just beat the aqua temple, life up get, stab me stab me, its comin...BAM, etc.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just beat this in one sitting, 21 hours :lol Fuck I love From Software, such a good company.

Well, off to the next difficulty! It's most likely going to kick my ass.

BeeDog

Yoshichan said:
Just beat this in one sitting, 21 hours :lol Fuck I love From Software, such a good company.

The fuck what

Yoshichan said:

You crazy?

I'm just waiting for my platinum now. Beat Spelunker Mode today in under 6 hours, so my PS3 is just idling for the next 4.

Don't know if it was worth it to go for platinum and I wouldn't recommend doing it...

BeeDog

YianGaruga said:
You crazy?

I'm just waiting for my platinum now. Beat Spelunker Mode today in under 6 hours, so my PS3 is just idling for the next 4.

Don't know if it was worth it to go for platinum and I wouldn't recommend doing it...

The only hard obstacle when going for the platinum is the Dash Circuit, which is infuriatingly hard. The rest is easy... Found this to be a surprisingly easy plat. :p

BeeDog said:
The only hard obstacle when going for the platinum is the Dash Circuit, which is infuriatingly hard. The rest is easy... Found this to be a surprisingly easy plat. :p
Yeah it wasn't hard, just playing through the game 3 times wasn't really fun in the end.
I also thought Dash Circuit was managable, but I hated, HATED Block Defense and Blockout.

Jarlaxle

I just finished the 5th dungeon.

I must have spent about 45 minutes in the room right before getting the fire wand. I kept hitting the red and blue switches over and over again and trying to move all the blocks to try and get in the room. It literally took me 45 minutes to realize that you could just walk by the red blocks. Sometimes it's hard to see things with the 3-D with the isometric view. At times I wish it had the look of Zelda for playablity's sake although the graphics are pretty cool.

I can't say I really cared for that one too much but I'm definitely enjoying the game and the music is awesome. I should be able to finish this up this weekend in time for Reach.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Jarlaxle said:
I just finished the 5th dungeon.

I must have spent about 45 minutes in the room right before getting the fire wand. I kept hitting the red and blue switches over and over again and trying to move all the blocks to try and get in the room. It literally took me 45 minutes to realize that you could just walk by the red blocks. Sometimes it's hard to see things with the 3-D with the isometric view. At times I wish it had the look of Zelda for playablity's sake although the graphics are pretty cool.

I can't say I really cared for that one too much but I'm definitely enjoying the game and the music is awesome. I should be able to finish this up this weekend in time for Reach.
Hahaha I did the same exact thing in that dunegon. I had to go to a strategy guide for the first time when I hit that point in the game.

Top Bottom