• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS owners, what are you currently playing?

Before I got one, if you would have told me the lineup of games coming to the system there's now way that I would believe that I wouldn't like the system. I've played just about every big game on the system, and I have only really cared for Project X Zone and FE:A so far, and both got boring to me pretty early on.

Edit: Oh yeah, I have ALBW still. I need to play that. I may be retracting my original statement soon.

Yeah, I hope it and ALBW do it. RPGs are my favorite genre and I don't understand why none of the games have clicked with me yet. Hell I even liked my 360 and Wii U and they have fewer exclusive games(especially RPGs) than the 3DS. Fingers are crossed.

SMT IV is one of the most fun RPG games I have played. I guess you didn't enjoy it?

SmokyDave

Playing? I'm playing the waiting game and hoping that Bravely Default will justify my 3DS purchase after 3 years.
Have you tried Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars?

As someone that doesn't really gel with the 3DS library, that one game is the reason that I have to own the device. It's a cracking top down strategy game by the chap behind XCom. Not much to look at, but it plays like a dream.

Comandr

Well two of my charming friends decided that now would be a good time to pick up Monster Hunter again. After finding out that I lost 150~ hours from my save mysteriously disappearing from both the Wii U and my 3DS, I am starting all over so we can play together.

I hate you mon hun.

I love you mon hon.

3D Ecco and Bowser's inside story. Just finished the latter.

Next on my pile is Bravely Default demo (yes I'm in Europe and we've had the demo for months...) and Attack of the Friday Monsters.

I'm on my second playthrough of this game (HarmoKnight), and I'm surprised that it isn't brought up on the 3DS-focused threads.
I think the price put people off (so they are waiting for a sale it seems like the case of make it 50% more so people go wild for 33% off). Also the demo was kind of hard (the boss fight in particular).

Well I was halfway through both both Bravely Default and Fire Emblem but my brother bought me a copy of Pokemon unexpectedly. We've been ploughing through both X and Y and I'm currently about to face the Elite Four after 80 hours.
After that I'll finish off FE and BD, I still play Animal Crossing each day (400 hours, still not done) and then I have Project X Zone and Rhythm Thief both unopened.
I've got two more Phoenix Wright games to go too before I can finally start PW5 which is also unplayed.
Phew!

Nothing, currently. Haven't turned it on in a while because of work and exams and since the games I was playing before (Bravely Default, Etrian Odyssey IV and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate) aren't exactly ideal for short bursts, I've been spending more time with my Vita and OlliOlli.

I will however return to the 3DS in full force in a few days when I have submitted this translation I'm working on.

Hedja

Fire Emblem Awakening.

I have Dream Team to play too. Occasionally play Animal Crossing and the odd StreetPassed game.

Planning to buy Kid Icarus Uprising once my backlog is cleared.

Nothing. I haven't played anything on my 3DS since A Limk Between Worlds. Not really interested in Bravery Default of Kirby Triple Deluxe so I probably won't be playing it for a while.

Luckily I've had my Vita though.

Letep

I've been playing Senran Kagura Burst, Animal Crossing, A Link Between Worlds and the Sega 3D classics.

Bravely Default soon!

Before I got one, if you would have told me the lineup of games coming to the system there's now way that I would believe that I wouldn't like the system. I've played just about every big game on the system, and I have only really cared for Project X Zone and FE:A so far, and both got boring to me pretty early on.

Edit: Oh yeah, I have ALBW still. I need to play that. I may be retracting my original statement soon.

Im with you

I bought it last year(?) specifically for Fire Emblem, but knowing that I can play Mario 3d land, luigi's mansion, animal crossing, and a bunch of other stuff I was excited about. the only thing that's ever not been a letdown in some way was Fire Emblem itself.

I beat the first dungeon in LBW and haven't really touched it since

the Bravely Default demo was enough to make me jump on that, though. I was loving what I played so that might be the next game for me.

aechris

Supposed to be getting sunk into Bravely Default, but Witch & Hero is way too addictive - it's not very varied but it has that "just one more go" quality about it. I would love to see it fleshed out more with variety in weapons, enemies, locations etc.

yft9f3jSHCCmDjlf4UVuwtnJvs_Y-asw.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation! I had never even heard of the game and it's a lot of fun!

dc89

I've got so many games I need to finish. Mainly Bravely Default & Luigi's Mansion 2.
But then I've got DS games too, currently working through the 4th Layton game and I've got the two subsequent ones waiting for me.

Breeding my team in Pokemon X, all I need is my shiny honedge and any raw cottonee to breed with (I want a whimsicott).

Playing BD right now as well and holy fuck this game is amazing.

Haven't played it in almost a month. Really need to finish up A Link Between Worlds (just got master sword, I think). Also stupidly close to the end of LM2, but one of the missions pissed me off and I haven't wanted to play it since.

RiamuBME

Surprisingly, I wrote down today a list of games that I wanted to finish before March. I wrote them all down on a notepad and then stared at it for a while. I realised all of them were 3DS games. They were:
Bravely Default
A Link Between Worlds
PW:AA - Dual Destines
Virtue's Last Reward
Fire Emblem: Awakening

No wonder the 3DS was the top selling console of last year. So many great titles.

Insaniac

Shin Megami Tensei and Zelda:ALBW when I'm not putting hours into MH3U.
I'm putting too many hours into MH3U so i haven't really played those two in a while

teeny

Slogging my way through Bravely Default.

I loved it at the beginning but then the pacing really takes a hit and I have struggled to work through it. Then it picks back up again at the end and my enjoyment has renewed.

Apart from that, Animal Crossing: New Leaf which I always love returning to. The cart has a permanent slot in my 3DS case and it is one of the few games I really wish I had gotten digitally.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Funny, I only play the 3ds when I am on a trip trip see the family like 2 times a year. The rest of the time it sits in a drawer...

Great games... but somehow if I am back home I don't touch it :(

Vexxan

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. Got it for cheap during NintendoUK's pricing error together with Mario & Luigi Dream Team Bros. which I have yet to start playing.

Animal Crossing New Leaf.

I love it, of course, but I have a ton of criticism for it.

This is the 5th game in the series, and it's still so primitive in design.
All activity in the game feels like a farce.. It really needs to be a deeper experience, imo.

Everything about it is just too shallow, and yet the hub experience is just enough fun to keep you coming back... You want more, but it barely delivers..

1) I wish the other residents in town were more than just husks with one of 5 or so personalities. I see them shake a tree every so often, or pretend to fish, or carry around a net, but they never actually do any of it. It's so abhorrently shallow.

I want to see an animal shake fruit out of a tree, eat a piece of it, then sell the rest at the store. They should be doing all the things you do, and more. I want to see them occasionally unearth a fossil and donate it to the museum, or show it off in their house, or sell it because they need money to buy more stuff. At least give me the illusion that that's happening, because they don't do anything but walk around.

2) Fishing and Bug catching have the potential to be much deeper meta games.
I could take it really far, but why not start simple, like having to carry a bucket of bait with your fishing rod. Different kinds of bait can attract different kinds of fish. Perhaps there could be multiple types of fishing rods based on the bobber, sinker, or fishing style. I'm talking simple here, like maybe 3 types of rods or so to make fishing 3 times more interesting. Get this, Kapp'n could open a bait shop on the beach that might typically carry a rod or two and the bait of the day...

You could also actually see a slight size difference in the insects and fish you find. Perhaps that information could be recorded and tied to that insect or fish, making it unique. I know they keep a record of largest caught fish, but I want more than that.

Stuff like this..

3) More places to go..

There might be a cave or two in each town you could explore.. You'd find unique bugs, fish, minerals (mineral collecting could join fish and bug collecting instead of just being another item to sell).

Perhaps there a 'deep forest' entrance as well, where there'd be a lot of trees, more of that bug action, and you could find the occasional NPC walking around. Maybe this is where there the campsite could be located.

4) More things to collect:

With places like a cave and deep forest, there's potential to not just make the insect and fish game deeper, but add to it with collectable minerals, mushrooms perhaps.
A library could open up in town, where you could donate books given to you by other animals, or that you'd find in various places. The book collecting game could be just as deep as fish and insect... even deeper. Get this, full public domain books and stories.. There's really no reason not to do it! At the very least they could do intense summaries of some public domain classics or fables. You could get a book case at home which could hold a number of books you find.

You could open the book and read it with the 3DS on its side, flip through the pages one by one via stylus.. At the very VERY least, why not have poem books. Each book would contain a famous poem. It'd be just another simple thing to collect at least.

5) More control over the design of your house!
Ideally, I'd like you to be able to make a very very basic floor plan. Something like move around a coupe squares on a grid symbolizing a floor plan. In a more basic way, at least let me choose what upgrades I want in the order of my choosing.. Maybe I want a house with a basement sooner than I want a second floor. Maybe I want rectangular rooms instead of square ones..

6) More shops!

Remember the toy store in Brave Fencer Musashi that sold action figures?
Yeah,... Aside from there already being potential for collectable figurines (think figurines of Mario, Kirby, other Nintendo characters), this store could also have furniture in the toy genre. We can go deeper.... Why not playable board games, like Chess?
Why not the ability to play cards? How about wooden marble mazes you could play by walking up to the thing, pressing A, and then it zooms in onto a gyro controlled marble maze..

You know how the animals will invite you to their houses?

Now you could actually DO something instead of pretending you're doing something.
Maybe an Animal that invites you to his house will ask you to look at his book collection, or play with his toys.. It's like you could actually do something while at their houses.
Play a game of cards against him. Hell, group card game night event!

Buh.. So much potential... so much potential wasted! I don't know why they want to keep the experience the epitome of simplicity.

I'm not suggesting to take it as far as your character having to eat and pee. No. Clearly the game wants to focus on a simple, relaxed experience. That said, expand upon the simplicity by simply adding more content. At the least, again, just add more collectable items...

Hm.

CaVaYeRo

Almost finished Layton 6. Then it's time for Bravely and Picross E3. Meanwhile I'll complete Phoenix Wright, which I'm playing with my GF since she needs live localization. Yeah, thank you, Capcom.

Not Bravely Default because for some reason Nintendo decided to produce even less copies than niche publishers would do and now the thing goes for 60€+...

heyf00L

Mario & Luigi Dream Team

So far it's been really slow to get going. I hope it picks up. Some of the new battle elements are great, but there's still not much variety in attacks or enemies yet. Disappointed so far.

oakenhild

Mario Tennis GBC. It's still as good as I remembered.

Just bought this, pretty fun once you get passed the first 20 minute tour in the tour mode. The RPG elements are so great. It's really too bad the new 3DS tennis didn't deliver.

Also, the original Ace Attorney on DS. I had started it a few years ago, but going back to it now to try and beat it. It's more trial and error than I remembered. Sadly, using some guides to speed up the play through a bit.

ohlawd

Nothing. Got a 3DS backlog but don't feel like touching it.

Eagerly waiting for Bravely Default and Yumi's Odd Odyssey.

Mario & Luigi Dream Team

So far it's been really slow to get going. I hope it picks up. Some of the new battle elements are great, but there's still not much variety in attacks or enemies yet. Disappointed so far.

It's a real slow start, unfortunately.

I'm probably a quarter of the way through, maybe 30 percent through, not sure. It's still a bit slow, but picks up.

Let me give you a tip. I did this in Bowser's Inside Story when I realized how easy the game was... I never once upgraded my armor.

So I'm still using Thin Wear and Run Down Hammer and whatnot.. It's starting to get challenging though, so I started to use some misc. upgrades. I'm also avoiding most battles though so I don't get overleveled.

Battles have been a bit trickier, and I think I like that. You sort of have to manage it yourself to keep the right difficulty balance, unfortunately.

Top Bottom