• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40-50 games that get PS5 Pro upgrades will receive 4K/60 across the board and modes that can ramp up to 120FPS or 8K

Taycan77

No, it’s pointless unless you got tons of GPU power left doing nothing. You’d sooner crank up every setting to the max and use 4K than low settings/8K.
For GT7 PD have a 1080p/60 version for PS4, 4K/60 for PS5, 1080p-1440p/120 for PS5, plus a PSVR2 version.

Now they're looking at a 4K/60/RT version for PS5 Pro, while the journalist talked about an 8K version (I assume 60fps).

PD are likely one of the devs Cerny mentioned are working on multiple Pro modes.

Back in the day PD had a 1080i mode on PS2, they've always pushed tech and I'm sure they'll do it again. Doesn't mean their entire focus is on 8K, it's just a tech curiosity.
Imagine if all games were optimized for a 4090, it would destroy what the Ps5 pro can do ! The ones saying the ps5 pro can do better than a 4090 , it's just about optimization!
Ever more powerful PC GPU's are ultimately pointless unless the limits are also pushed in the console space. Right now people are using their 4090's to run glorified PS4 games. As we start to move to PS5 only titles, developing for PS5 Pro will only help PC gamers to get the most out of their hardware.

Last edited:
For GT7 PD have a 1080p/60 version for PS4, 4K/60 for PS5, 1080p-1440p/120 for PS5, plus a PSVR2 version.

Now they're looking at a 4K/60/RT version for PS5 Pro, while the journalist talked about an 8K version (I assume 60fps).

PD are likely one of the devs Cerny mentioned are working on multiple Pro modes.

Back in the day PD had a 1080i mode on PS2, they've always pushed tech and I'm sure they'll do it again. Doesn't mean they're entire focus is on 8K, it's just a tech curiosity.

Ever more powerful PC GPU's are ultimately pointless unless the limits are also pushed in the console space. Right now people are using their 4090's to run glorified PS4 games. As we start to move to PS5 only titles, developing for PS5 Pro will only help PC gamers to get the most out of their hardware.
Were basically still waiting for ps5 only games...ps5 is just the stepping stone to get to ps6 , I think!

BlackTron

Imagine if all games were optimized for a 4090, it would destroy what the Ps5 pro can do ! The ones saying the ps5 pro can do better than a 4090 , it's just about optimization!

I'm not saying that the PS5 Pro is better hardware than a 4090, hardly. HOWEVER

If Pro offers a hardware/software combination that does in fact breach what 4090 effectively achieves, for $700, then it doesn't really matter, they have a really good package on their hands. Even if it achieves it a different way, or with less power, or using tricks we'd call "cheating". Doesn't really matter, it is in fact doing better than a 4090. If someone wants to rectify that they can go update the game on PC, until then, this is what people are actually playing, not theorizing.

That's IF it's really hitting these performance targets that is, not saying these guys are lying but I really want to see this thing out in the wild.

K' Dash

8K?

fYttFAvaJGm.gif[\img]

Zacfoldor

I am playing Wukong right now and posting from my phone, and I cannot wait for this shit.

I don’t give a fuck, dude, I don’t give a damn what it costs, buff this bullshit! Day last year.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

I’ve been studying everyone’s responses in the background since the announcement of ps5 pro…I hate to tell you all, but a pro version of a console doesn’t make better games. Seems like y’all are looking for a mid-gen refresh that will magically make devs have creative aspirations again. Not gonna happen, sorry to tell you.
I don’t think anybody believes that the PS5 pro is going to cause better imagination in games, lol. We just want wukong to play clearer.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I'm not saying that the PS5 Pro is better hardware than a 4090, hardly. HOWEVER

If Pro offers a hardware/software combination that does in fact breach what 4090 effectively achieves, for $700, then it doesn't really matter, they have a really good package on their hands. Even if it achieves it a different way, or with less power, or using tricks we'd call "cheating". Doesn't really matter, it is in fact doing better than a 4090. If someone wants to rectify that they can go update the game on PC, until then, this is what people are actually playing, not theorizing.

That's IF it's really hitting these performance targets that is, not saying these guys are lying but I really want to see this thing out in the wild.
Maybe the game development for the 4090 has just been half-assed til now, and the Pro will push it further ahead.

Black Myth Wukong desperately needs a PS5 Pro patch

Right now though I think the devs are pretty overwhelmed by their instantly 20 million selling game, they also need to patch stuff on PC too

It's interesting that they did not give us 8K stats. They said around 10% of TVs use VRR, so I would assume 8K penetration is < 1%.
TV inertia is a real problem for anyone who wants to support new technology. People keep TV's for 10+ years so often if you support stuff like HDR and VRR you'll probably have like 5% of your total player base actually using that stuff, everyone else is still playing at SDR 60 hz fixed refresh rate

BlackTron

Maybe the game development for the 4090 has just been half-assed til now, and the Pro will push it further ahead.

Why though? Will devs make updates for 4090 because they want it to sell better? Will Nvidia try to make this happen through some influence or clout, while gaming cards remain an afterthought compared to AI? Seems like 90 level will likely remain a poor value excess card (in terms of $ per compute) for brute forcing effects, res and frames.

Edit: I don't want to sound too negative over 4090, it's obviously an insane card. I think we all know that if there was a dedicated console with 4090-like hardware, it would be utter insanity. When I picked up Series X a few years ago I was shocked to learn it had a CPU the same strength as my old gaming PC it was replacing because it could no longer handle games (a 4690k). But well no shit, that's consoles vs PCs for you. Story as old as time, PC has always been more expensive and needed extra headroom while console gave you hardware-tailored performance. Sure Nvidia can tweak game-ready drivers but each machine still has a different hardware spec/config. That's just an inherent part of PC that isn't going away because just now a console did something efficient, they've been spanking PC at this for eternity.

So it's not a big insult to a PC card to say a lesser console hardware can match it. But, being the top PC card, it's a huge compliment to the console punching that far above its weight lol. This is more like when I had a PC with a good Nvidia card in 1999 and it was completely ruined by Dreamcast which cost almost nothing in comparison lol

Last edited:
Black Myth Wukong desperately needs a PS5 Pro patch

Right now though I think the devs are pretty overwhelmed by their instantly 20 million selling game, they also need to patch stuff on PC too

This is the #1 most concerning aspect of the Pro ....it could be a game changer and easily worth the price but ONLY IF DEVS ACTUALLY DECIDE TO PATCH THEIR GAMES!

No mention of Black Myth patch. No mention of the Ray Tracing poster child, Cyberpunk 2077? What about 2 other games that look amazing on PC with Rt Gi but are disappointing on console, Control and Dying Light 2! There are many more 3rd party games that are crying out for better IQ and ray tracing on console but we're ENTIRELY DEPENDENT ON WHETHER DEVS/PUBS PATCH THEM!

Sorry for the all caps but this is something that bizarrely seems to be passed over in these discussions over the Pro. It's the giant elephant in the room. It's easy for gamers to say "oh they'll get patched im not worried" but will they?? How many ps4 games never got patched for PS5/SX and if they did, how long did it take for them to be patched? I know im still waiting for RDR2, Mafia Remake, Dishonored 2, Gears Ultimate, Ryse, Driveclub, Gravity Rush 2, Arkham Knight, Kingdom Come Deliverence, Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive, Watch Dogs 1/2, AC Unity/Syndicate/AC Ezio Collection, the Order, Last Guardian etc ...High profile games that people hoped would be patched that never came

There's no guarantee with how stingy publishers are that they'll even greenlit the extra effort it would take to get tangible benefits out of this console

BlackTron

define "effectively"
because you won't see anything close to the "full Raytracing" modes as Nvidia now calls them (effectively path tracing) in modern games that are releasing these days.

Pretty big deal right there. I basically meant (more or less) similar settings/effects, different under-the-hood stuff to achieve it only.

bitbydeath

Why though? Will devs make updates for 4090 because they want it to sell better? Will Nvidia try to make this happen through some influence or clout, while gaming cards remain an afterthought compared to AI? Seems like 90 level will likely remain a poor value excess card (in terms of $ per compute) for brute forcing effects, res and frames.

Edit: I don't want to sound too negative over 4090, it's obviously an insane card. I think we all know that if there was a dedicated console with 4090-like hardware, it would be utter insanity. When I picked up Series X a few years ago I was shocked to learn it had a CPU the same strength as my old gaming PC it was replacing because it could no longer handle games (a 4690k). But well no shit, that's consoles vs PCs for you. Story as old as time, PC has always been more expensive and needed extra headroom while console gave you hardware-tailored performance. Sure Nvidia can tweak game-ready drivers but each machine still has a different hardware spec/config. That's just an inherent part of PC that isn't going away because just now a console did something efficient, they've been spanking PC at this for eternity.

So it's not a big insult to a PC card to say a lesser console hardware can match it. But, being the top PC card, it's a huge compliment to the console punching that far above its weight lol. This is more like when I had a PC with a good Nvidia card in 1999 and it was completely ruined by Dreamcast which cost almost nothing in comparison lol
I’m just trying to remain optimistic, it’s possible the tricks they learn whilst developing the PS5 Pro could be ported to the 4090 as PC hardware typically isn’t coded for due to the large variety available, they just brute force everything.

Just implement PSSR to replace FSR2.0 and it would likely be a huge improvement in image quality.

If Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't get a Pro update to either get rid of FSSR or give us a fuller suite of RT then the Pro will be a huge failure in my eyes ....that's the ONE game I wanted to see a Pro update for, what with it being so transformative and amazing with RT on PC ...

I have no confidence it will happen considering it wasn't mentioned at the reveal ...these are the types of games that would justify the Pro and its price
..same goes for Black Myth, RDR2, hell even SW Outlaws and Space Marine 2 would be awesome candidates for a Pro patch ...very concerning that these weren't hinted at during the showcase or in rumblings this past week ....

Last edited:
This is the #1 most concerning aspect of the Pro ....it could be a game changer and easily worth the price but ONLY IF DEVS ACTUALLY DECIDE TO PATCH THEIR GAMES!

No mention of Black Myth patch. No mention of the Ray Tracing poster child, Cyberpunk 2077? What about 2 other games that look amazing on PC with Rt Gi but are disappointing on console, Control and Dying Light 2! There are many more 3rd party games that are crying out for better IQ and ray tracing on console but we're ENTIRELY DEPENDENT ON WHETHER DEVS/PUBS PATCH THEM!

Sorry for the all caps but this is something that bizarrely seems to be passed over in these discussions over the Pro. It's the giant elephant in the room. It's easy for gamers to say "oh they'll get patched im not worried" but will they?? How many ps4 games never got patched for PS5/SX and if they did, how long did it take for them to be patched? I know im still waiting for RDR2, Mafia Remake, Dishonored 2, Gears Ultimate, Ryse, Driveclub, Gravity Rush 2, Arkham Knight, Kingdom Come Deliverence, Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive, Watch Dogs 1/2, AC Unity/Syndicate/AC Ezio Collection, the Order, Last Guardian etc ...High profile games that people hoped would be patched that never came

There's no guarantee with how stingy publishers are that they'll even greenlit the extra effort it would take to get tangible benefits out of this console
No patch for TLG is one of the most painful ones. I get that it was a sales failure after a decade of development but to just leave it with that 30 fps cap forever is so sad

What's interesting about TLG is that if you have a physical disc of the game like me, you can put it in the PS4 Pro with the console not connected to the Internet and it will happily run v1.0 at 60 fps but the game has crashes that were patched but the patches also add the 30 fps cap

But you are right, the nice thing about PC gaming is that you can just run the game faster when you upgrade your PC, devs don't need to do shit. Not so on consoles and it's one of the biggest issues PS4 Pro had and it will be an issue with PS5 Pro too

Last edited:

BlackTron

by that definition the Series X can also "effectively" do the same, but I'd never claim that

Ok let me put it another way, "effectively" meaning a very similar visual experience actually running it. That would make, presumably both X and 5 Pro not "effectively" the same as 4090 by simple notion that full raytracing is not there.

I didn't mean to make such a specific definition, but TBH if PS5 Pro hits similar targets but with slightly weaker ray tracing, that's still impressive, and delivering probably a much closer experience to 4090 than Series X.

But this is a mix of assertion and speculation because I don't even know for sure how games perform on this IRL.

kevboard

Ok let me put it another way, "effectively" meaning a very similar visual experience actually running it. That would make, presumably both X and 5 Pro not "effectively" the same as 4090 by simple notion that full raytracing is not there.

I didn't mean to make such a specific definition, but TBH if PS5 Pro hits similar targets but with slightly weaker ray tracing, that's still impressive, and delivering probably a much closer experience to 4090 than Series X.

But this is a mix of assertion and speculation because I don't even know for sure how games perform on this IRL.

the thing is, that these days the visual differences in general are so small that you could even argue the Series S or One X delivers a similar visual experience.

the feature sets of modern GPUs hasn't changed much in the last decade or so.
these days the differences really just come down to the resolution and how much Raytracing hardware can cope with.

and the 4090 currently is a pretty standout piece of hardware in that regard, nothing comes even close (which sadly means no real competition...)

I don’t think anybody believes that the PS5 pro is going to cause better imagination in games, lol. We just want wukong to play clearer.
Me too…but I’ll be damned if 80% of posters here don’t act like the ps5 pro was supposed to be the next coming of Christ with the comments around here 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

BlackTron

the thing is, that these days the visual differences in general are so small that you could even argue the Series S or One X delivers a similar visual experience.

the feature sets of modern GPUs hasn't changed much in the last decade or so.
these days the differences really just come down to the resolution and how much Raytracing hardware can cope with.

and the 4090 currently is a pretty standout piece of hardware in that regard, nothing comes even close (which sadly means no real competition...)

I mean, systems have gotten more samey than when you could tell them apart by looking at screenshots/compressed youtube, yes. But while actually playing it, I definitely tell the perf difference between the Series S, X, and 3070 in the same game.

The 4090 is indeed top by a wide margin, but where they might be able to reduce some of that margin is the console "secret sauce". While I want to say a 4070 level card could never close that gap with pixie dust, actually, I admit I'm intrigued at how close this console can get. As contrary as it seems to do so, I wonder if they can lower the internal resolution due to PSSR resulting in more headroom for effects, in tandem with the new AMD RT solution (which I just hope doesn't suck, lol). This is exactly the kind of ingredient-balancing though that can make a console so effective vs a PC (we will see how effective).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I mean, systems have gotten more samey than when you could tell them apart by looking at screenshots/compressed youtube, yes. But while actually playing it, I definitely tell the perf difference between the Series S, X, and 3070 in the same game.

The 4090 is indeed top by a wide margin, but where they might be able to reduce some of that margin is the console "secret sauce". While I want to say a 4070 level card could never close that gap with pixie dust, actually, I admit I'm intrigued at how close this console can get. As contrary as it seems to do so, I wonder if they can lower the internal resolution due to PSSR resulting in more headroom for effects, in tandem with the new AMD RT solution (which I just hope doesn't suck, lol). This is exactly the kind of ingredient-balancing though that can make a console so effective vs a PC (we will see how effective).
We don't even know of they will get close to a 4070 performance and now we are imagining if they get close to 4070 performance they might be able to get close to 4090 performance? It's only a 100% performance increase, we see that all the time?

Last edited:

BlackTron

We don't even know of they will get close to a 4070 performance and now we are imagining if they get close to 4070 performance they might be able to get close to 4090 performance? It's only a 100% performance increase, we see that all the time?

In another thread they said it was around 4070 and I was inclined to believe it because same source also said base PS5 close to 4060, and the latter seemed true based on my own experience.

BlackTron

I’m just trying to remain optimistic, it’s possible the tricks they learn whilst developing the PS5 Pro could be ported to the 4090 as PC hardware typically isn’t coded for due to the large variety available, they just brute force everything.

This would be an easier leap to make for me if PS5 Pro at least used Nvidia technology. I usually try to keep an open mind for ideas, however unlikely, but I'm just not seeing it.

Not that anything is wrong with Nvidia tech. But just as its gains did absolutely nothing for AMD. I wouldn't expect games fine tuned for a Sony/AMD console to result in big differences on a 4090. On AMD cards.... maybe?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
On that shit emulator they have? Most likely.

There is no good reason why those games aren't 4k even on PS4 Pro.
Too true, I can get most PS2 games running at 6x Res on my Phone at 60fps
It's crazy that the PS4 or PS5 can't get them running at 1440p across the board to guarantee compatibility.

Series X is already 20% more powerful than base ps5.

PS5pro being 35% more power than ps5 will suddenly make it 4 times more powerful? 😂

Improved ray tracing: over base ps5. Lmao.

There is very good reason why Mark Cerney showed ps4 games instead of latest titles to show the jump in quality. He didn’t wanted to show artifacting mess when upscaling from 720p to 4k by zooming in 8 times.

Top Bottom