• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40-50 games that get PS5 Pro upgrades will receive 4K/60 across the board and modes that can ramp up to 120FPS or 8K

BlackTron

Series X is already 20% more powerful than base ps5

Dude it has been a long, long time since we were talking about next gen specs before systems came out. Conversation moved a bit in a few years time.

PS5pro being 35% more power than ps5 will suddenly make it 4 times more powerful? 😂
Where did 35% come from?
Improved ray tracing: over base ps5. Lmao.

There is very good reason why Mark Cerney showed ps4 games instead of latest titles to show the jump in quality. He didn’t wanted to show artifacting mess when upscaling from 720p to 4k by zooming in 8 times.
Well thanks for your take but I think I'd still like to see for myself.

Ronin_7

On that shit emulator they have? Most likely.

There is no good reason why those games aren't 4k even on PS4 Pro.
I love the emulator, played every Ps2 game so far and it's butter smooth.

Sure resolution could be higher but that's my only complain.

Three

Series X is already 20% more powerful than base ps5.

PS5pro being 35% more power than ps5 will suddenly make it 4 times more powerful? 😂
Your numbers are out of your ass.

There is very good reason why Mark Cerney showed ps4 games instead of latest titles to show the jump in quality. He didn’t wanted to show artifacting mess when upscaling from 720p to 4k by zooming in 8 times.
He showed more PS5 only games than "PS4 games" but keep going

star-wars.gif

hlm666

8K? Are people with a 4090 even attempting to utilize that?
For shits and giggles yeh I guess.

I guess if we are just going to use the output buffer size now ..............

I imagine it's rather pointless without an actual 8k display to view it on but well have at it I guess.

Bernardougf

Series X is already 20% more powerful than base ps5.

Oh shit we are back in pre-gen trash talk ! I love it.... call all the crazies back.. time for that 9 TF tweet and xbox s is better than Ps5 too ... lets go!

Oh shit we are back in pre-gen trash talk ! I love it.... call all the crazies back.. time for that 9 TF tweet and xbox s is better than Ps5 too ... lets go!
12>10.

Nothing crazy about it.

Nobody is able to explain why games don’t show that sort of advantage, when in pc land, every small component makes actual difference.

Again, one of the companies has a reputation of doing slimy things to sabotage competitors.

Bernardougf

12>10.

Nothing crazy about it.

Nobody is able to explain why games don’t show that sort of advantage, when in pc land, every small component makes actual difference.

Again, one of the companies has a reputation of doing slimy things to sabotage competitors.
Hey bro I not even mad .. with MS peacing out we have to use nostalgia wars to keep this thing going ... good one.

BlackTron

I know there are devoted fans for all brands but how do you get this far into the gen actually believing X is 20% more powerful than 5?

I don't get it. Where does it come from? Do they think every single last dev is unfair to MS and doesn't bother optimizing games? Is the extra 20% of power negated by Series S? Is it held down by a gnome inside the console?

I mean maybe it comes from old gaf threads but if you want to do things that way then Switch is a dead system...

PS5 vs X trade blows on paper and 5 wins in the real world thanks to better engineering and it's proven again and again.

To say X is 20% stronger than 5, and Pro is only 35% ahead of that, just comes off as desperate to make the Pro appear hardly more powerful than a Series X, about ten percent more, which is mental illness at best, disinformation at worst.

BlackTron

Literally the first time in human history a console leveraged its power in a different way than a computer.

Edit: I can't cope with how bad an example it really is because in PC it's typical to slather on extra power that is not efficiently balanced or utilized the way it could have been in a finely crafted console.

GameCube specs looked weaker yet had some great graphics compared to PS2 and Xbox. How? Did Nintendo sabotage Xbox games development to make sure they couldn't utilize their specs at the same rate they were in GC, ensuring they would not be too outclassed? Uh, yeah, that's happened...no other way fathomable right. lol

Last edited:
I'm currently holding off on my second play through of Death Stranding, do you guys think it's a good idea to wait for the Pro? I'm not sure if we'll get full Pro patch which would be great, but I do remember the games resolution mode running at 60 FPS at 4K from what I remember, but there was a lot of dips in frame rate. I'd imagine the Pro would resolve this problem with ease.

Literally the first time in human history a console leveraged its power in a different way than a computer.

Edit: I can't cope with how bad an example it really is because in PC it's typical to slather on extra power that is not efficiently balanced or utilized the way it could have been in a finely crafted console.

GameCube specs looked weaker yet had some great graphics compared to PS2 and Xbox. How? Did Nintendo sabotage Xbox games development to make sure they couldn't utilize their specs at the same rate they were in GC, ensuring they would not be too outclassed? Uh, yeah, that's happened...no other way fathomable right. lol
This is some next level cope.

A more powerful GPU produces better graphics. End of story.

If its not doing that, thats the proof in itself.

saintjules

Gold Member
I'm currently holding off on my second play through of Death Stranding, do you guys think it's a good idea to wait for the Pro? I'm not sure if we'll get full Pro patch which would be great, but I do remember the games resolution mode running at 60 FPS at 4K from what I remember, but there was a lot of dips in frame rate. I'd imagine the Pro would resolve this problem with ease.

I'm going in day one. I guess for me it's about what the Pro will do with games that are not Pro Enhanced. Do they take advantage of PSSR upscaling without a patch. I think for the AA / AAA games, the devs might make more of a push to patch in their games. We'll have to see.

I think if you're uncertain, wait to see what it delivers. You may not find one at launch but at least when you do you'll know what it's capable of doing. I'm fully expecting the Pro to do the job that it intends. I will never doubt Cerny.

Last edited:

kevboard

there is a mode that runs at 1800p 60fps locked
not sure if a Pro patch would make a big difference in this game

and if you have a VRR screen and play the 4k quality mode, you will also barely notice any drops.
during gameplay the quality mode is almost locked 60fps, it only drops in cutscenes and some extremely heavy scenes (boss fights with lots of effects for example)

in these worst cases the quality mode is often 50fps with some rare drops below 48fps. it is inside the VRR window 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
This is some next level cope.

A more powerful GPU produces better graphics. End of story.

If its not doing that, thats the proof in itself.

Except that's bullshit when it comes to consoles. You can throw out 12>10 all you want but that only applies with everything else being equal and that is not the case. If you want to pretend PS5 and XSX APUs are exactly the same except for CU count and frequencies then I guess that's an easy way to make yourself believe in the "slimy platform" things as the reasoning behind all this. If you want to talk about "next level cope" then start there.

Except that's bullshit when it comes to consoles. You can throw out 12>10 all you want but that only applies with everything else being equal and that is not the case. If you want to pretend PS5 and XSX APUs are exactly the same except for CU count and frequencies then I guess that's an easy way to make yourself believe in the "slimy platform" things as the reasoning behind all this. If you want to talk about "next level cope" then start there.
Other stuff doesn’t matter.

GPU is directly coupled to your screen via HDMI. Thats most important thing.

If other things like processor etc are causing bottleneck, I wonder what pro is gonna do in that case.

BlackTron

ZCm27AL.gif

But in seriousness, this should be a point of research for nvidia / amd.

Some incomprehensible factor related to high clock speeds/ less CU results in 20% performance gains.

Silicon companies are fools to invest in larger chips when they should be over clocking them.

It's not really an incomprehensible factor. Most people who have been following games for more than awhile get that consoles achieve more with less due to custom design. Exactly how much more, with how much less, comes down to how well they do.

Based on your logic a game running on a spec better on paper should run better every time, regardless of device, architecture or software layers. From extreme empirical evidence going back decades, we know that this is not true.

Cerny beat MS's hardware designers (again) and you can't cope with that. That's all there is to it.

Topher

Gold Member
ZCm27AL.gif

But in seriousness, this should be a point of research for nvidia / amd.

Some incomprehensible factor related to high clock speeds/ less CU results in 20% performance gains.

Silicon companies are fools to invest in larger chips when they should be over clocking them.

Users "overclock". Not manufacturers. Nothing incomprehensible about two differently designed systems, running on different operating systems and using different APIs not matching up with a theoretical teraflop number. You need to throw away that four year old Xbox playbook.

Last edited:
It's not really an incomprehensible factor. Most people who have been following games for more than awhile get that consoles achieve more with less due to custom design. Exactly how much more, with how much less, comes down to how well they do.

Based on your logic a game running on a spec better on paper should run better every time, regardless of device, architecture or software layers. From extreme empirical evidence going back decades, we know that this is not true.

Cerny beat MS's hardware designers (again) and you can't cope with that. That's all there is to it.

Users "overclock". Not manufacturers. Nothing incomprehensible about two differently designed systems, running on different operating systems and using different APIs not matching up with a theoretical teraflop number. You need to throw away that four year old Xbox playbook.
All this “stuff” boils down to secret sauce, we all know that.

If there are inefficiencies in system, they don’t remain forever. Devs learn to work around them.

Different APIs and OS is not really relevant here. These are consoles built for max efficiency. They both should be extremely lean.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
He is saying Sony is paying developers to make Xbox games worse than PlayStation games.
Honestly (and I don't believe this) some of the people who I talk to that know things do honestly think some devs only optimize for the bigger player base PS5 and then just give the Xbox the same code basically and don't waste resources optimizing for such a small crowd on the Series X to get a little more juice out of it

And some gobble it up

King Dazzar

Honestly (and I don't believe this) some of the people who I talk to that know things do honestly think some devs only optimize for the bigger player base PS5 and then just give the Xbox the same code basically and don't waste resources optimizing for such a small crowd on the Series X to get a little more juice out of it

And some gobble it up
To be fair. If I were a studio, I'd spend more time optimising for my largest audience. And then you have the parity challenges across the two Xbox SKU's...

Topher

Gold Member
All this “stuff” boils down to secret sauce, we all know that.

If there are inefficiencies in system, they don’t remain forever. Devs learn to work around them.

Different APIs and OS is not really relevant here. These are consoles built for max efficiency. They both should be extremely lean.

So all the talk about tools on the Xbox side lacking was just bullshit?

And some gobble it up

Well....they can't give Xbox the same code as they are built on different APIs, but yeah I'm not buying that either. I'm more inclined to believe that the more generalized SDK being used is more of a factor. This was discussed early on along with the lack of tools for Xbox devs for optimizing. Sony's APIs, in contrast, have been consistent and fully mature is what I believe many said. No way to know for certain though as most devs can't speak on these things.

I'm going in day one. I guess for me it's about what the Pro will do with games that are not Pro Enhanced. Do they take advantage of PSSR upscaling without a patch. I think for the AA / AAA games, the devs might make more of a push to patch in their games. We'll have to see.

I think if you're uncertain, wait to see what it delivers. You may not find one at launch but at least when you do you'll know what it's capable of doing. I'm fully expecting the Pro to do the job that it intends. I will never doubt Cerny.

Just watched DF's technical review on DS1, and yes seems like they have a 4K mode which targets 60, but tends to drop a lot as well, I remember on my first playthrough, especially during fast traversal that there was screen tearing. I imagine the Pro will comfortably iron this out.

As for PSSR, then yes it needs to be patched into the game via developer input to work and can't simply work automatically. However there will be a "boost mode' which will benefit games which feature dynamic resolution scaling i.e hitting the upper end of the DRS range for whatever game that is, also games with unlocked frame rates or targeting certain frame rates will benefit (60/120hz).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Just watched DF's technical review on DS1, and yes seems like they have a 4K mode which targets 60, but tends to drop a lot as well, I remember on my first playthrough, especially during fast traversal that there was screen tearing. I imagine the Pro will comfortably iron this out.

As for PSSR, then yes it needs to be patched into the game via developer input to work and can't simply work automatically. However there will be a "boost mode' which will benefit games which feature dynamic resolution scaling i.e hitting the upper end of the DRS range for whatever game that is, also games with unlocked frame rates or targeting certain frame rates will benefit (60/120hz).

Isn't dynamic resolution something that really became a thing this generation? If so, I'm guessing we shouldn't expect PS4 games to benefit from this "boost mode".

StereoVsn

I know there are devoted fans for all brands but how do you get this far into the gen actually believing X is 20% more powerful than 5?

I don't get it. Where does it come from? Do they think every single last dev is unfair to MS and doesn't bother optimizing games? Is the extra 20% of power negated by Series S? Is it held down by a gnome inside the console?

I mean maybe it comes from old gaf threads but if you want to do things that way then Switch is a dead system...

PS5 vs X trade blows on paper and 5 wins in the real world thanks to better engineering and it's proven again and again.

To say X is 20% stronger than 5, and Pro is only 35% ahead of that, just comes off as desperate to make the Pro appear hardly more powerful than a Series X, about ten percent more, which is mental illness at best, disinformation at worst.
You don’t understand. A small startup like Microsoft can’t possibly compete with the Sony behemoth in financial resources! It’s a damn conspiracy!

conspiracy-theory.gif

KaiserBecks

To be fair though, at the start of this generation, it was a very popular narrative that Xbox, while being stronger on paper, was actually going to be weaker because it didn’t have Sony‘s magic custom ssd power (I can’t remember the marketing term). Remember that desert tech demo? These days it’s all a wash.

I just watched a YouTube that all games will have PSSR without a need for a patch. Is this true?
How on earth would the toolkit auto disable FSR, enable PSSR and up render the UI and graphics underneath with separated resolution values? Fan boys spitting lies.

There are engines that handle physics via the frame rate, so frame rate unlocking would break titles as well. It would be an unholy mess to a tightly controlled library.

No.

BlackTron

To be fair though, at the start of this generation, it was a very popular narrative that Xbox, while being stronger on paper, was actually going to be weaker because it didn’t have Sony‘s magic custom ssd power (I can’t remember the marketing term). Remember that desert tech demo? These days it’s all a wash.

Right. In those days, Sony fans insisted SSD would win all. Xbox fans were pleased they had the performance over PS5 and didn't think the storage would be a big deal. But that was before systems came out and we were years into the gen.

You could be forgiven for being in either camp, personally I put more stock in 20% more power than SSD, but we had to wait and see. Now that we have seen, you need to be clinically insane to think that Series X is more powerful than PS5, as evidenced by needing conspiracy theories to explain the situation such as Sony making sure developers do not do Xbox versions justice.

Topher

Gold Member

Agree....the marketing didn't match up with reality for either of those.

Agree....the marketing didn't match up with reality for either of those.
IDK. At least the SSD paid off. I mean didn't give it any extra power, though I don't remember those claims. I do remember people saying the Series couldn't pull off some things that required that speed because it's SSD was slower, which was most likely wrong and hyperbole.

It definitely helped with load times, and a few games developed their games around the tech. I sure as hell don't want to ever go back to HDDs in a console. Not when you have stuff like Right Apart and Astrobot.

Topher

Gold Member
IDK. At least the SSD paid off. I mean didn't give it any extra power, though I don't remember those claims. I do remember people saying the Series couldn't pull off some things that required that speed because it's SSD was slower, which was most likely wrong and hyperbole.

It definitely helped with load times, and a few games developed their games around the tech. I sure as hell don't want to ever go back to HDDs in a console. Not when you have stuff like Right Apart and Astrobot.

Yeah....I agree. It is definitely beneficial tech and I'm glad it is there. Not trying to downplay it. The hyperbole you mention is what I'm talking about. This wasn't the massive advantage for PS5 that some thought it would be. And I'm including myself in that group.

SenkiDala

If ya think 4k is waste of compute resources, let me tell ya about 8k
Now that I know the PS5 Pro is all about make the quality mode 60 fps, I really don't see the point so much. When on the OG/Slim PS5 I see MANY games coming out only at 30fps without the choice of a performance mode at 60, then I'll think about getting a pro. But as long as I have the choice...

And I don't see many games being locked at 30 on PS5, Dragon's Dogma II... What else ?

The only 2 games that I sadly felt "well I wouldn't mind some extra power" is FFXVI and FFVII Rebirth (and even those ones, once you're into it, it's ok, I platinium FFXVI no problem, had a fun time). All the other games I played are 100% great on 60 fps performance mode.

And yeah I'm thinking 4K is a waste of ressources, 1440p is PERFECTLY fine in all my usages. And I'm playing on a 65" OLED TV.

Top Bottom