• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Alucrid

Banned
Nom nom nom!

These Comply Tx-500 ear tips make my IE8s sing! The seal is so gorgeous and comfy...super nice lows.

A little worried about the longevity of these, but man it's magic the difference a good seal makes on the sound.

Finally done with my headphone swapping for a bit. Sennheiser IE8s it is.

So did you go from the beats to the ultrasones to the ie8s in like the span of a week?

ruxtpin

Banned
Umm... I can't really sift through this entire thread, but I'm looking for a headphone setup that I can use with my PS3/360 (and occasionally my PC). I've heard good things about the Astro A40s, but I know those are kind-of pricy. I'd like something that's everything in one.. So... Any recommendations? I saw a brand advertised with the launch of MW3 as well.

Geneijin

That's a good question. I'm on my iPhone, so not the best means to do research, but I didn't seem to notice any sources. The only source I can find at the moment is this:
http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.p...ion=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

Russian based. I think Des ordered from them and was complaining about how long it took to dispatch or something. Your best bet might be EBay. Are you concerned about warranty?
They're notorious for having slow shipping times, unresponsive and slow customer service, and varied packaging quality. It's the only reason why I don't have the FA-011 yet. Just unwilling to risk the trouble.

Speaking of which, here's hoping the Brainwavz HM5 really is a rebranded FA-003. Frogbeats is out of stock, and I ain't buying from gd-audiobase.

1stStrike

Banned
I was going to buy a pair of headphones from gd-audiobase once. Waited something like a month and in the end I ended up cancelling because they were so damn slow. Apparently, the wooden headphones are made to order and I just kept getting one excuse after another until I finally said fuck it.

I really wanted those headphones too D:

1stStrike

Banned
The FA-002W?

Also, I'm surprised you were able to get so many replies from Dmitri.

Yeah. I got like 4 emails back from him in total and he kept saying that one thing or another was delaying it. I'm a pretty patient person and can understand a product taking a couple weeks when it's made to order, but by the end my patience was gone. I was stuck using the HD555's and was losing my mind so I just bought my D7000's.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
So did you go from the beats to the ultrasones to the ie8s in like the span of a week?

Roughly a week, yeah. A fun trip for sure!

Surely there are some Vsonic GR07 owners/fans in here? Man, they're such an all-round excellent earphone. Great sound, super comfy and immense build quality. Paired with my Cowon J3 and a Hippo Box+, it's a pretty augasmic portable setup.

Geneijin

Yeah. I got like 4 emails back from him in total and he kept saying that one thing or another was delaying it. I'm a pretty patient person and can understand a product taking a couple weeks when it's made to order, but by the end my patience was gone. I was stuck using the HD555's and was losing my mind so I just bought my D7000's.
Ouch. Sorry about that happening.

I hear so many good things about the Fischer Audio phones in general, but when one of their biggest retailers are known for such bad/slow service, why reward that...

My eterna's took over 4 weeks.
That's their average wait time, especially if you're in the U.S. apparently.

tokkun

Surely there are some Vsonic GR07 owners/fans in here? Man, they're such an all-round excellent earphone. Great sound, super comfy and immense build quality. Paired with my Cowon J3 and a Hippo Box+, it's a pretty augasmic portable setup.

I'm an impulse buyer, and they don't seem to offer many sales in the US.

ElyrionX

So I auditioned the Westone UM3X and the Etymotic ER4P. The UM3X has the samw veil I heard in the Westone 4 and lacks the separation and clarity I'm looking for. The ER4P had decent separation and clarity but was a little too bright and too much emphasis on the highs. However, auditioning the ER4P was more of an afterthought today because prior to that, I was listening to something far better; the AKG K3003.

My god. My fucking god. The K3003 are truly in a class of their own in the IEM space. I own the IE8 and have heard the W4, SE535 and UM3X. Not one of them even comes anywhere close to the clarity and separation and tonal balance the K3003 offers. They are highly analytical and fairly neutral. The bass is detailed and ever present but only comes to the forefront when needed. The highs are tight and controlled and never sibilant. The mids are just so ever slightly forward but are never dominant. These IEMs are the only ones I have found that comes anywhere close to replicating the Beyerdynamic T1. Simply incredible.

At more than a thousand dollars, they are not cheap. However, I don't wish to go down the customs route so these are my only option for now. My only concern is that the cable is non-detachable and I fear that should the cables be subject to the occasional bout of stress (a distinct possibility since I will be using them while traveling and commuting), I might end up with a $1000 deadweight.

What are some good high quality headphones for working out? I heard the Power Beats by Dre were really bad.

I would recommend the Koss KSC75. They sound way beyond their price, but since they are so cheap, you won't have to worry about beating them up a bit. They won't fall off. They're open so you can hear others around you better.

LordCanti

What are some good high quality headphones for working out? I heard the Power Beats by Dre were really bad.

I don't recommend spending a lot for something you're going to drench in sweat. I especially don't recommend actual headphones for working out (IEM's are so much more convenient) but I guess that's a matter of opinion.

scy

The Vmoda Crossfades are Amazon's gold box deal today for 68% off if anybody is interested.

For some reason, I read that as their newer M-80s lol

JLabs J6s are also currently (10:50-ish AM CST) on sale too for $30 for the next hour at Amazon; then again, these things always seem to be on sale every time I notice them. I liked the J2/J3 years ago as a nice cheap IEM, though I've yet to have a pair actually last a year. Though, they've warranty replaced mine each time so far.

Roughly a week, yeah. A fun trip for sure!

Ah, replaced the Ultrasone's with IE8s? I suppose that's working out well for you then or is there a next step planned :x

Maxim726X

Hey total noob here, had a quick question about hooking up my HD-202s to my TV while I'm gaming.

I'm assuming I need an adapter or something?

Hey total noob here, had a quick question about hooking up my HD-202s to my TV while I'm gaming.

I'm assuming I need an adapter or something?

Depends on the TV. Many flat panels already have 3.5mm jacks for headphones.

Do you have the TV set up to a receiver? Many receivers have headphone jacks too.

Maxim726X

Depends on the TV. Many flat panels already have 3.5mm jacks for headphones.

Do you have the TV set up to a receiver? Many receivers have headphone jacks too.

No receiver. I have a Samsung 50 inch DLP... Is that too old a model? I'm not at home right now otherwise I'd check.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Ah, replaced the Ultrasone's with IE8s? I suppose that's working out well for you then or is there a next step planned :x
They are, and no Plan B. The Ultrasones were great, just not the most portable for my needs since I listen on the go 90% of the time.

Really bass, but somewhat lacking in clarity. Still with the right genres you'll appreciate them.

I've had mine for about 8 months now, and compared to other iem's in the same price range (notably the Senn. CX200/300's), the bass isn't that powerful. I think they have a very balanced sound, and a better mid-range than most in the price range.

I don't actually have those. Last time I needed iems, one of the guys here mentioned the CW31p's and I got them on sale.

I'd recommend Meelec for their customer service alone.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
uflDFl.jpg

so this happened. it broke off in my audio jack. these are about a year and change old. What's my best course of action?

I will be using headphones more for playing my V-Drums and listening to music when I move next month. I have really liked my Sennheiser 595s, but they seemed to get overpowered by low end when playing the V-Drums with music mixed in. As it turns out, this seems to be because they already have what seems like an overbearing low end sound.

I got some AKG K 702 headphones. I know they are brand new, so the low end is not quite what it will be (and this has been the case with all cans I've used). Out of the box the mids and highs are so much nicer. The bass is not as strong, but it doesn't sound worse per se. It just doesn't occupy the same amount of space in the sound.

edit: Oh, and they are extremely comfortable.

So far, so good :)

nib95

Banned
best pair of Sennheiser headphones for around 80 british pounds ?

If you can stretch to £100 I have a spare pair of brand new Fostex T50RP's I could sell you (I also own a modded pair myself). Or I simply recommend you buy them online. If you don't mind doing a quick mod, these will sound 2-4 times their worth. Basically all you need is bluetack, cotton wool and black felt.

http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:T50RP_m2.jpg

Other variants here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571549/fostex-t50rp-modification-summary-links

Search about them online. Best value for money that exists in the audiophile world imo.

HTuran

Actually is that a Jamie XX Ep on second look?

It is indeed, good eyes! 'Far Nearer/Beat For' single, up there with James Blake as my favorite artist this year.

What pair is that and how is it?

As Alucrid mentioned, they're the TMA-1s. It's hard to give a comparative statement, as these are my first pair of on-ear phones and apparently they take a few hours to 'burn in', but they're incredible so far. You just get lost in them. Stunning industrial design, too.

Presco

Hey guys, for anyone looking for an outstanding price on a very nice iem, the MEE CC-51P (version with inline mic) are currently $29.99 on the MEE website with the coupon code CC51P_WOW. I just got the email with the code and promptly ordered a pair. These are normally $90 and I think are generally considered a very good buy at that price.

For people in Canada, the Turbine Pro Copper will be $99 on boxing day online at futureshop. Website says they have >4000 pairs. I'm planning on picking up a pair of those as well.

Joule

Hey guys, for anyone looking for an outstanding price on a very nice iem, the MEE CC-51P (version with inline mic) are currently $29.99 on the MEE website with the coupon code CC51P_WOW. I just got the email with the code and promptly ordered a pair. These are normally $90 and I think are generally considered a very good buy at that price.
Thanks for the heads up on that. Picked up a pair for family.

Top Bottom