• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

eosos

Banned
Alright, I have about $150 for headphones. I need to use them mainly while studying in the library and just normal listening to music. So I really want them to block out sound and I want to make sure that others won't hear them. I'm looking at some Sennheisers, but I really don't know what I should pick. I listen to all kinds of music ranging from electronic to rap to alternative if that helps at all. I looked at the OP and I still can't really decide.

Thanks a bunch if anyone could help me out!

Any recommendations for headhones that are comfortable when wearing glasses?

I've picked up a few that feel comfortable for a while but start to hurt after 30 min or so.

So I've been sticking to IEMs (which I don't like) and on ear ones like Portapros and Sennheisers PX 100 models.

But they seem more prone to breaking than other and for 40-60 dollars I feel like I could probably get something a bit better... though I am not sure.

As I had mentioned at the start of this thread, I have liked my Sennheiser 595 headphones quite a lot. They have fallen short in one thing, though - electric drums. I'm too easily getting popping when I get into the floor toms. That and since there is often other music mixed in, I think it's too much. Any suggestions on some replacement ones? So many good-looking options out there. I'd like to stay under $350 if possible.

LordCanti

Any recommendations for headhones that are comfortable when wearing glasses?

I've picked up a few that feel comfortable for a while but start to hurt after 30 min or so.

So I've been sticking to IEMs (which I don't like) and on ear ones like Portapros and Sennheisers PX 100 models.

But they seem more prone to breaking than other and for 40-60 dollars I feel like I could probably get something a bit better... though I am not sure.

Have you considered ear buds? I believe that Yuin's are pretty highly recommended from ear bud lovers. They don't go inside the ears, so they should be pretty comfortable.

I think their PK3's are in the $40 range. Someone else can tell you if it's the PK3's that are highly regarded, or their higher end models (I haven't tried any of them personally).

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hey all. Work on the PC Thread 2012 is being done and I was hoping some of you could share what you enjoy or recommend for PC headphones and headsets.

I'm currently using ATH-AD700's with a Xonar DG and those work well for me since I can wear them all day. Sometimes I'd like a touch more bass though. I think my other option was M-50's?

If any of you had good $20, $40, $60, $80, $100 recommendations that would be great.

Thanks.

Not strictly a headphone but for those that want an external DAC and AMP for their cans (sometimes the built in amp, specially in a laptop, tend to be noisy) a great choice is the behringer UCA-202; cheap and good, you can't ask more.

iWg8wvamPMzP3.JPG

I'm a far, far cry from being an audiophile, but I do know how to spend dumb amounts of money on stuff. The cable on my old Shure IEMs finally crapped out completely, I did a little bit of research into other universal fit models but ultimately settled on these. Very happy thus far, but a lot of that is just being happy that the right ear isn't crackling and dropping out every three goddamn minutes.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm a far, far cry from being an audiophile, but I do know how to spend dumb amounts of money on stuff.
Sounds like you'll blend in nicely here.

Let us know what you think of them after you get more time.

edit: whoa, those are $400? What are you listening to them through? Something nice I hope....

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Whoa, those Shure IEMs are $400 plus? You weren't playing around.

What are you listening to them through? Something nice I hope....

ty_hot

Bought my first decent headphones a week ago: Sennheiser HD 201

I am really enjoying it, only problem is that the bass is not as good as expected (nearly non existent).

$400 universal fits....when JH5's are on sale for like $360....

*brain explodes*

Yeah for some reason I stopped myself from genuinely considering customs. I think because I do occasionally like to let other people use my earphones (with different sleeves), and general laziness with regards to getting the moulds taken. Plus I live in Australia, not sure how much that would complicate the whole purchasing process (if at all). I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I can get custom sleeves made at least, should the mood ever strike me.

Much more likely though is these things dying in about five years and my pay being high enough by that point for me to be even more dumb about it, and I'll go right to the top of the custom food chain, and still not have anywhere near the ear to ever appreciate the difference.

Yeah for some reason I stopped myself from genuinely considering customs. I think because I do occasionally like to let other people use my earphones (with different sleeves), and general laziness with regards to getting the moulds taken. Plus I live in Australia, not sure how much that would complicate the whole purchasing process (if at all). I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I can get custom sleeves made at least, should the mood ever strike me.

Much more likely though is these things dying in about five years and my pay being high enough by that point for me to be even more dumb about it, and I'll go right to the top of the custom food chain, and still not have anywhere near the ear to ever appreciate the difference.

Fwiw unique melody (china based customs) have an austrailian representative who posts frequently over on headfi. Austrailians post it to them who then sort out all the postage etc and make sure it gets to the right place in china and back. Also handle all the nasty things like import tax etc etc

Chinner

Banned
What kind of music do you listen to Chinner?

well according to my music play genres, alternative,blues, electronic, rock, acoustic, indie.

or i usually listen to artists like radiohead, pink floyd, beatles, bob dyland, jimmy hendrix, lcd soundsystem, black keys etc and i've also been getting into house music lately.

the big rig said:
The CC51's from Meelec are pretty great. They're probably less than 50 euros on amazon.
thanks bro this post was helpful
kenpaul said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...T4H8J1P97MJPCB

Sennheiser HD 518 Open Circumaural Headphones with E.A.R. Technology
this post was not

dmshaposv

well according to my music play genres, alternative,blues, electronic, rock, acoustic, indie.

or i usually listen to artists like radiohead, pink floyd, beatles, bob dyland, jimmy hendrix, lcd soundsystem and i've also been getting into house music lately.

thanks bro this post was helpful

this post was not

Essentially the three best bands in the world. I laud your taste, ducky.

omgkitty

I've never even heard of this band :eek:

are-you-serious.jpg

yeah lcd soundsystem is pretty great too. sucks that they split up but im glad i got to see them live at least once.

They didn't really split up. James Murphy was just feeling that he was getting too old to be doing the same stuff all of the time so they aren't going to be producing anything under that name any more. LCD Soundsystem is basically just James Murphy with some input by others. I'm sure he will do something new in the next few years when he gets tired of dj'ing.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm leaning towards getting the new Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones. They normally go for $299.99, but with my Best Buy employee discount, I can get them for $225.

Should I bite?

Top Bottom