• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

nib95

Banned
There's really no reason to argue this through anecdotal evidence. It's very simple from a signal processing standpoint: When you put two systems in series, the overall transfer function is the product of the individual transfer functions.

That said, I don't think "synergy" is doing anything better than what you can do with a simple equalizer.

Again, mainly disagree with the above. EQ'ing a lot of the time (though not always) simply cannot replicate certain sonic additions amps, source material etc offer up. I wish it could personally, I spend enough time tweaking and EQ'ing, but certain things just cannot be replicated. Especially with respect to sound stage, clarity of sound, bass detail etc. You can up the higher frequencies to make things sound sharper, but often they thin out more than they do with certain amps, likewise, soundstage you just can't replicate, and whilst you can increase or decrease bass quantity, it's very hard to replicate texture and detail.

tokkun

Define the mathematical meaning of terms like "texture", "detail", and "thin out" and we can talk about whether a simple DSP can replicate the effect of the amp on these parameters.

nib95

Banned
Define the mathematical meaning of terms like "texture", "detail", and "thin out" and we can talk about whether a simple DSP can replicate the effect of the amp on these parameters.

How on Earth could I define the mathematical meaning of such terms? That is a bizarre request if I ever heard one.

If you were to do an extremely detailed scan or visualisation of low frequencies (not the vague or more wider reaching frequency charts that give away very little about proper sonic qualities of a device) I'm sure examples of such terms in a more scientific setting would show up.

If you were to ask me to define what I mean by those terms generally speaking, texture for me would refer to exactly that, texture of sound. Try if you can to visualise sound as a material, some being coarse, others smooth, velvety, rippled, buoyant, grainy etc etc. Sonic frequencies share these sorts of qualities directed through to the sound, mathematically speaking it would be the way sound vibrated or bounced around after the hit, beat or whatever of a certain instrument or sound. But bass texture refers to essentially the different tones discussed associated with only bass (or low frequency sounds).

Detail, referring to how accurate a device or headphone can mimic it's original source. Bass detail referring to the clarity of the bass, how true it is in terms of sound, texture, decay, resonance etc.

Many of these things simply cannot be EQ'd in and are inherent properties of the headphone, source, amp etc etc.

There are also other non-related differentiators biologically speaking. Every persons ear canal is unique in shape and thus the way it receives sound waves, hearing quality, ear wax amount, inner pressure etc, different day to day, so all that also takes in to account, less so. Especially when talking about same person testing. These things however are largely unrelated to my argument that EQ'ing cannot always replicate sonic attributes certain devices such as amps etc can affect.

I know certain terms to some people may seem a bit of a farce, but when you've compared and listened to a huge range of headphones, especially on the high end of the scale, you really start to notice the little details such as these. I'm sure most would barely be even to tell the difference, especially without direct A/B same song comparisons, but if you're highly analytical with music listening, they are all things that are fairly easily picked up on.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
And I'm asking how's it any different A/B'ing different phones again? I ain't even talking about cables here, which you're conflating my argument into. I've stated my testing methods. You're entitled to flatly deny such form of testing just as I am likely to read such claims with a margin of error. What's your experience doing non-blind tests? I'm not saying my opinion is better because I did, but I'm interested on your own findings.

Like I said, I've contrasted the E7/E9 combo against the Xonar Essence STX/E9 with the AKG K271 and M50 as my equipment, and I've more or less satisfied my answer. Not enough to spend hundreds because of the diminishing returns and perceivable differences involved, so I've set my limits accordingly.

Even when you A/B phones, the results are biased.

My experience was years A/B'ing gear to fine tune my own setup finding many apparent differences and synergy between components - all of it crashing down during a blind listening test.

It's a watershed moment to realize only that when you can not see the components, you can't find anything but distortion, frequency response, noise floor and a few other well known elements. And you realize properly designed electronics are so transparent nowadays up to the point they're indistinguishable from each other.

All I'm saying is ask a friend of yours help you with it, design the setup properly so you cannot see/know by other means what's being plugged into your headphones and give it a go. Also, be sure to check that your friend cannot communicate anything to you and finally match the level of the signals - volume differences, even small enough not to be perceived as such, can create the illusion of difference.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
There's really no reason to argue this through anecdotal evidence. It's very simple from a signal processing standpoint: When you put two systems in series, the overall transfer function is the product of the individual transfer functions.

That said, I don't think "synergy" is doing anything better than what you can do with a simple equalizer.

While this might be true on a certain level, audio electronics today are so advanced that the human ear can't notice this effect. Double blind tests have been performed and papers published confirming this phenomena.

If you are so inclined, the AES has all their papers and conferences uploaded on their website, just search for double blind ABX and results will come up. They're kinda expensive unless you take their unlimited subscription tho (20$ a pop).

nib95

Banned

My experience was years A/B'ing gear to fine tune my own setup finding many apparent differences and synergy between components - all of it crashing down during a blind listening test.

It's a watershed moment to realize only that when you can not see the components, you can't find anything but distortion, frequency response, noise floor and a few other well known elements. And you realize properly designed electronics are so transparent nowadays up to the point they're indistinguishable from each other.

All I'm saying is ask a friend of yours help you with it, design the setup properly so you cannot see/know by other means what's being plugged into your headphones and give it a go. Also, be sure to check that your friend cannot communicate anything to you and finally match the level of the signals - volume differences, even small enough not to be perceived as such, can create the illusion of difference.

This is simply wrong.

I'd be willing to put down £1000 that with my T1 headphones, blindfolded with a same song A/B test, I could tell you exactly which portable amp of mine (I currently have only one desktop amp, not including my Xonar Essence) out of 3 was plugged in to the headphones. I probably would only need a single listen of the song from each, but at most two (most likely not). But yea, I'd be able to tell them apart. I detailed the sonic differences from the amps on the previous page.

As I said before, there is (perhaps not always) a very real, tangible and often noticeable difference between how different amps affect certain headphones sonically. Obviously the higher up the audiophile chain you go, the more noticeable the differences become.

It's less (but still) noticeable comparing same amp types, i.e solid state vs solid state. But when comparing (for example) solid state vs tubes, the differences are a bit more noticeable. Sometimes the differences among certain amps are glaringly obvious and noticeable.

P.S, there most probably is little or no difference when comparing budget or mid range headphones/earphones with similar amps, since usually they sound lacklustre, less detailed, more cloudy, congested etc to begin with. I'm talking purely high end here. Like for example most of the Beats headphones, they are low impedance and drive easy from any portable device including an iPhone (so an amp is not much use) and on top of that have such a bass heavy and un-accurate, non analytical sonic presentation, it'd be hard to pin point the details and differences anyway. But compare cans like the LCD-2's, HD800, T1 (or mid-high such as K701's, DT880 600 ohm etc) on different mid-high end amps and you can bet you'll hear sonic differences.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This is simply wrong.

I'd be willing to put down £1000 that with my T1 headphones, blindfolded with a same song A/B test, I could tell you exactly which portable amp of mine (I currently have only one desktop amp, not including my Xonar Essence) out of 3 was plugged in to the headphones. I probably would only need a single listen of the song from each, but at most two (most likely not). But yea, I'd be able to tell them apart. I detailed the sonic differences from the amps on the previous page.

As I said before, there is (perhaps not always) a very real, tangible and often noticeable difference between how different amps affect certain headphones sonically. Obviously the higher up the audiophile chain you go, the more noticeable the differences become.

It's less (but still) noticeable comparing same amp types, i.e solid state vs solid state. But when comparing (for example) solid state vs tubes, the differences are a bit more noticeable. Sometimes the differences among certain amps are glaringly obvious and noticeable

Tube amps by their nature can introduce a lot of distorsion depending on how they're designed so yeah, they do sound different... As I've said, things like frequency response, distorsion, etc... can and are noticed regularly. But properly designed electronics will have no noticeable distorsion and a flat plot so the point is moot.

But why don't you go ahead and perform a blind ABX test?

I know some guys who regularly perform those, if you give me all the details of your setup I can pass those to them so they take everything into account and design a proper protocol. These tests are fun to perform =)

Geneijin

My point of contention is this: if you're willing to accept the inherent bias associated with a non-blind test when searching for a headphone, why is it any less acceptable to accept the same bias are inherent when researching DACs and amps? I don't understand why this double standard exists. And I'm not even referring to the high-end (>$500) here. If it's because the appreciable differences are too low and can be too subtle where you can't rule out confirmation bias and the alike, then say so.

nib95

Banned
Tube amps by their nature can introduce a lot of distorsion depending on how they're designed so yeah, they do sound different... As I've said, things like frequency response, distorsion, etc... can and are noticed regularly. But properly designed electronics will have no noticeable distorsion and a flat plot so the point is moot.

But why don't you go ahead and perform a blind ABX test?

I know some guys who regularly perform those, if you give me all the details of your setup I can pass those to them so they take everything into account and design a proper protocol. These tests are fun to perform =)

I've already done blind A/B texts with friends and other audiophile enthusiasts and guessed correct every time. Instead of going off of some test that was performed by who knows who using who knows what as test material, I believe listening to your own ears is the best way to get an account of these things. It's true, in this hyped marketing mad industry full of over priced and under achieving gear, we should be wary, but to outright comment on something without ever having done such tests or comparing yourself is also a bit silly.

And I'm not even talking about distortion etc. I'm talking about actual sonic differences with respect to overall presentation or sound. Soundstage, quality or style of bass, mid or high frequency emphasis, thick, thin, cold, warm, instrumental separation, audio detail, clarity etc etc. All things that switching up amps can affect.

Feel free to pass on my comparison set up and see what they come up with.

Beyerdynamic T1
JDS cMoyBB
Ray Samuels SR-71A
ALO The Continental

Headphone sounds different with all three amps. In some respects, glaringly so. Going from the SR-71A to the Continental takes the sound from a more confined colder more treble hot or detailed sort of sound to something extremely open (much wider sound stage and more three dimensionality), warm, smooth (less high sibilance or sharpness) and full bodied.

I remember writing a short comparison of the SR-71A and Continental at Head.Fi, when blind testing and writing down random assessment comments of the same track, same headphones listened to on both amps, one (the SR-71A) gave the impression I was listening to the track in a small studio room environment, whereas with the ALO it felt like I was listening to it in a fairly large moody club. that's how much of a difference I picked up sonically.

I can assure you, comparisons such as these are not simply made up. The sonic differences between these amps are very real.

http://www.headfonia.com/the-usual-suspects-12-portable-amps-compared/

http://www.headfonia.com/triple-schiit-asgaard-valhalla-and-lyr/

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
My point of contention is this: if you're willing to accept the inherent bias associated with a non-blind test when searching for a headphone, why is it any less acceptable to accept the same bias are inherent when researching DACs and amps? I don't understand why this double standard exists. And I'm not even referring to the high-end (>$500) here. If it's because the appreciable differences are too low and can be too subtle where you can't rule out confirmation bias and the alike, then say so.

It's not acceptable neither, when shopping for a new headphone ideally you shouldn't know which one is sounding.

But the thing is headphones at least do sound different and things like underperforming headphones in aspects like frequency response or stereo separation are easily found. Wether the particular sound signature of a 1000$ headphone is inherently better to someone than a 100$ one, that's where a blind test is useful.

Electronics however will not unless they're poorly designed/executed or you're interacting with phenomena like impedance missmatches or tube distortion (which are easily taken into account). And the results are people spending more than they need to or making poor shopping decisions based on bogus like our fellow member who needed a dac/amp combo for his PC and PS3.

Geneijin

It's not acceptable neither, when shopping for a new headphone ideally you shouldn't know which one is sounding.
But did you not purchase a headphone based on biased impressions to make an informed purchase? If you're willing to accept such reviews can be at least a bit insightful to your future headphone purchase, why is there a double standard when the differences aren't largely perceivable? Weren't you implying people in non-blind tests are more inclined to hear what they want because we're looking for a difference, so there has to be a difference; therefore, there can't ever be a small difference? A false equivalency that's just as bad as assuming there must be a difference, isn't it?

But the thing is headphones at least do sound different and things like underperforming headphones in aspects like frequency response or stereo separation are easily found. Wether the particular sound signature of a 1000$ headphone is inherently better to someone than a 100$ one, that's where a blind test is useful.
Don't you mean headphones at least sound noticeably different? Because that seems to be the crux of all this insistence on a blind test and to invalidate absolutely all non-blind tests from being at least a little informative. If you agree there can be small and subtle differences between sonically similar headphones, why can't the same be said for DACs and amps? I'm equating the two because their differences are of a similarly small level. It's just that DACs and amps are an exception to this rule apparently. Like I said, if it's because the appreciable differences are too small, and it's too susceptible to confirmation bias and the alike, then say so.

Electronics however will not unless they're poorly designed/executed or you're interacting with phenomena like impedance missmatches or tube distortion (which are easily taken into account). And the results are people spending more than they need to or making poor shopping decisions based on bogus like our fellow member who needed a dac/amp combo for his PC and PS3.
The "bogus" tends to be hyperbole and exorbitant, but I also don't think it's completely bogus either. It's why some of us ignore very colorful descriptions and whatnot, right?

kevm3

That's what I assumed but wanted to be sure of before I posted.

Honestly, I STRONGLY disagree with the above posters who say synergy does not exist. (Bitmap Frog and to a lesser extent ElyrionX) I am 100% sure I could, blindfolded tell you differences between certain amps and headphones dependant on such synergy. I can say that because I have blind tested with my equipment, and a range of equipment, and found that certain amps, do indeed offer different sound signatures to different headphones.

Whilst there's no exact science to it (since all amps and headphones have unique sound signatures) combining different amps and headphones together does offer up different levels of 'synergy'.

I have several amps and portable amps for example, and do not use the best or most expensive with all of my headphones and earphones. Quite the contrary, I use whatever amp I personally find has the best synergy with it sonically.

For example, portably speaking. I use my ALO Continental with my Beyer T1, as this hybrid tube amp has a warmer tone, that mellows out the highs somewhat, and gives the overall sound more body. This is perfect for the T1, which is by default a bit more hot on the high frequencies, and absolutely adores tube amps. They truly smoothen out the sound somewhat, at least with the one's I've tried. My SR-71A by comparison, is a bit colder sounding and extenuates the highs a bit more than I'd like (can lead to sibilance here and there which I never get with the tube amps), and takes away some of the fullness of the bass. Add to that the soundstage is much smaller.

With my Westone 4's, even though I have 2-3 other top portable amps to choose from, I actually use it most with my JDS cMoyBB. It might not have the clarity or detail of the SR-71B, but it does have a bit more low end bloat, and a slightly wider soundstage, which is preferable to me personally when using the W4's.
The ALO Continental when paired with the W4's, does offer a huge soundstage, but warms the sound a bit too much and removes a bit more of a sparkle from the highs still. I value the middle ground the JDS cMoy offers (with the W4 anyway). Middle of the road detailing, softer (slightly less defined but more prominent) bass and medium high frequency extension (as oppose to SR-71A's more glaring detail, and the Continentals warmer, smoother signature). The soundstage also falls in-between that of the SR-71A and Continental.

Honestly, synergy is a huge deal. It can make a real, tangible and noticeable difference to the balance or marriage of devices such as an amp and headphone. I actually use my T1's with the SR-71A from time to time when I want a more confined, focused, studio esque sound, as oppose to the smoother more open and warm sound the Continental offers.

I agree sound synergy is essential. You can easily get a slow and dark sound or a bright and edgy sound by pairing the wrong equipment together. Synergy is more important than just stringing together the most expensive components one can find.

epik

Woot .. Thanks to a facebook contest by Sennheiser canada ... I won the HD-25 Originals!

Anyone have a review or a personal experience?

dmshaposv

Woot .. Thanks to a facebook contest by Sennheiser canada ... I won the HD-25 Originals!

Anyone have a review or a personal experience?

Certified Audiophile cans and one of the Best (if not THE best) DJ phones in the market. Slick design, excellent sound, great bass (if you are a bass head and listen to hip-hop/electronic, e.t.c.).

You are one lucky ass son of a bitch.

JackEtc

Just a heads up to anyone who might be looking for a headphone stand, I bought this banana holder off amazon, and it works great with my A700's. It's relatively cheap, too.

KZWLtl.jpg

omgkitty

I finally picked up a FiiO E10 and it's awesome. It gives all my music a nicer sound and more punch. I was wondering though, I have my speakers running through the line out on the back and wanted to know if it is actually powering my speakers as well or if it is just a pass through? I know I can't control the volume with the DAC itself so I was thinking no.

So I've got the Ultrasone Pro 900's in today, and having some problems...

I don't have an amp/DAC yet but just testing it out via the Macbook Pro headphone jack.

After getting the cord connected...and testing it out on a 320kbps Nick Warren set (Global Underground 035: Lima)...the sound is just muddy and has no punch. Bass is terrible too. Just airy sounding.

On my old Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's, this sounded incredibly rich. Now it seems to have no detail and sounds like it's coming out of a cheap 90's boombox. It sounds like that airy, cheap, compressed audio coming out of old 200x200 Real Video movie files we used to know.

Seriously, this sounds really, really terrible.

So what the hell is wrong? Is this a faulty pair (I hope not)??
Is this normal for these to sound this bad without amp/DAC?
Is this the initial break-in process (they haven't been on for more than an hour yet)?

WTF.

Geneijin

Despite the Pro 900's low impedance of 40 ohms, the sensitivity is also low so it requires amp. I would withhold judgment until you get a decent amp at least before concluding you may have received a faulty pair.

TheExodu5

Banned
Could definitely be the jack. I can't see the Pro 900s being called thin compared to the HD 280 (some of the thinnest headphones I have heard).

Definitely test them out on something else before you try anything else.

My HFI-580 sound great off even an iPhone. Just try them off an iPhone/iPod to begin with.

edit: actually, what you're describing is what I would expect the sound to sound like if there was a grounding issue. Whenever the ground isn't hooked up properly, headphones will sound like that. In that case, could be the jack, or the wiring on the headphones.

Despite the Pro 900's low impedance of 40 ohms, the sensitivity is also low so it requires amp. I would withhold judgment until you get a decent amp at least before concluding you may have received a faulty pair.

Yeah, I'll either have D2+E9, D1+E9 or D2+A1 (Maverick's amp, may be better than FiiO) within a few weeks.

But I noticed the main problem...the bass is almost completely silent. With house music for example you'd be hearing a constant thumping bass beat...but I'm not hearing anything, only the highs/mids which sound terribly compressed/airy.
This can't be this bad without an amp/DAC can it?

TheExodu5

Banned
My HFI-580 have extremely tight/heavy bass off even my iPhone. The Pro 900 appear to be similar in terms of impedance/sensitivity, so I wouldn't expect a huge difference.

edit: actually, what you're describing is what I would expect the sound to sound like if there was a grounding issue. Whenever the ground isn't hooked up properly, headphones will sound like that. In that case, could be the jack, or the wiring on the headphones.

At first sound was only coming from the right headphone, but I didn't have the cord in the headphone tight enough (this one has a "replaceable" cord unlike the 280 Pro which are double ended as you probably know).
That was much before my complaints with it though.
When wiggling the cord around in the headphone part, all that happens is I lose audio from one headphone or it returns to the same airy sound. It seems to be in tight and fully.

Could this just be the burn-in/break-in process?

Geneijin

I finally picked up a FiiO E10 and it's awesome. It gives all my music a nicer sound and more punch. I was wondering though, I have my speakers running through the line out on the back and wanted to know if it is actually powering my speakers as well or if it is just a pass through? I know I can't control the volume with the DAC itself so I was thinking no.
Your speakers most likely has an active amp, so your E10 isn't powering it.

My HFI-580 sound great off even an iPhone. Just try them off an iPhone/iPod to begin with.
I think the sensitivity is known to be higher in the HFI series than the Pro series unless I've misheard.

This can't be this bad without an amp/DAC can it?
If your headphones have low sensitivity and high impedance and hooked up to an inadequate source, yes, it can be.

As TheExodu5 said, try a different source like an iPod.

As TheExodu5 said, try a different source like an iPod.

Trying it now with an Android phone playing 192kbps MP3 via stock music player. This is even WORSE. I wasn't even sure audio was coming out of both headphones, but they are. Absolutely silent bass and everything else sounds compressed (at MAX volume).

On the Senn. 280 Pro's this sounded fine.

edit: Back to Macbook Pro, I'm playing around with the OS-level balance. If I set the slider all the way to the left or right, I'm actually hearing bass...but when it's in the middle (default), I'm getting that airy, compressed, bass-less, "overpass" effect. Seriously, in the middle it even sounds distorted.

But set it all the way to right or left, and it sounds semi bass-heavy and "normal" and may be what this is supposed to sound like un-amped.
Even though the balance is set all the way left or right, I still get audio from both headphones. Note it sounds identical when set all the way left OR right.
I'm guessing this may just be some indifference between the headphones and laptop's audio drivers, and only plays normally when the OS-level sets to extreme right/left balance. Then again, why would it sound so terrible with the Android phone then when the Senn. 280's sounded fine?
Is this normal?

Geneijin

Is there a desktop computer you can use to experiment with? Because your phone is probably a worse source than your Macbook Pro judging by your impressions. A grounding issue might also be the problem as TheExodu5 said, but I'm more inclined to assume it's because you have an inadequate source and the Pro 900 being demanding until you can rule that out.

Is there a desktop computer you can use to experiment with? Because your phone is probably a worse source than your Macbook Pro judging by your impressions. A grounding issue might also be the problem as TheExodu5 said, but I'm more inclined to assume it's because you don't have an inadequate source (a better DAC and amp) and the Pro 900 being demanding until you can rule that out.

Not at the moment, not sure I want to hook up my old 1999 Dell desktop to test that out.
Grounding is most likely not the issue, as I've made sure I'm using the correct end of the cord (using the wrong end only gave audio from the right-side headphone), and that it's in tight on both ends.

What I'm saying about the extreme left/right slider solution is that it actually sounds good now (though I'm reserving all final judgement until I get the amp/DAC). Bass sounds heavy and rich and mids/highs are fine, at the least a noticeable improvement over the Senn. 280 Pro's.

But it's just a mystery as to why the OSX "balance fix" works and I can see myself having issues on other sources (like 3DS or Vita) because I can't really configure the balance etc on those, if the sound is going to be anything like it was on the Android phone.

The next big issue may be that it sounds terrible on PC/PS3 via the amp/DAC because I can't configure balance through those. Hopefully not.

Geneijin

I don't have a Macbook Pro so I can't answer that. I'm not even sure what the balancing does by your description unless I hear it for myself, but it sounds like you're getting decent volume from both drivers now by tinkering with it.

But regarding configuring balance, I'm sure you don't have to worry about that when you get your DAC/amp because it sounds more like a Macbook Pro exclusive thing than anything else.

But regarding configuring balance, I'm sure you don't have to worry about that when you get your DAC/amp because it sounds more like a Macbook Pro exclusive thing than anything else. And I never have to worry about configuring "balance" on my setup.

Yes, that's what I think too, but then I get confused because it was giving me that issue with the Android phone.
I am really crossing my fingers the amp/DAC will eliminate this issue because I'm relying on that for PS3/PC audio.

Ordered the Maverick D2 DAC, now deciding between FiiO E9 or Maverick A1 for the amp...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I emailed Aiaiai but no response yet. Does anyone know if the microphone buttons on the tma-1 are compatible with android?

And does anyone know the best deal on them? Best I could find was $170 with free shipping (without mic).

I emailed Aiaiai but no response yet. Does anyone know if the microphone buttons on the tma-1 are compatible with android?

And does anyone know the best deal on them? Best I could find was $170 with free shipping (without mic).
$170? From where? I might have to pick one up myself.

I'm currently using Astro A40s on my PC setup but I want to buy a wireless mixamp and move them to the living room for use with my PS3/360. I'm looking at the ATH AD900 as a possible replacement for my PC setup. Regarding sound quality, are the AD900 markedly better than the A40s (2011 edition) or do I need to shell out more cash for something like the Denon AHD2000 or AHD5000 to gain a real noticeable improvement? These will be used primarily for gaming.

TheExodu5

Banned
Trying it now with an Android phone playing 192kbps MP3 via stock music player. This is even WORSE. I wasn't even sure audio was coming out of both headphones, but they are. Absolutely silent bass and everything else sounds compressed (at MAX volume).

On the Senn. 280 Pro's this sounded fine.

edit: Back to Macbook Pro, I'm playing around with the OS-level balance. If I set the slider all the way to the left or right, I'm actually hearing bass...but when it's in the middle (default), I'm getting that airy, compressed, bass-less, "overpass" effect. Seriously, in the middle it even sounds distorted.

But set it all the way to right or left, and it sounds semi bass-heavy and "normal" and may be what this is supposed to sound like un-amped.
Even though the balance is set all the way left or right, I still get audio from both headphones. Note it sounds identical when set all the way left OR right.
I'm guessing this may just be some indifference between the headphones and laptop's audio drivers, and only plays normally when the OS-level sets to extreme right/left balance. Then again, why would it sound so terrible with the Android phone then when the Senn. 280's sounded fine?
Is this normal?

That definitely sounds like an amping issue, in that case.

The balance might be helping things because as you balance it towards one side, the headphone amp in your Macbook can dedicate all its power to one channel, rather than both.

CPCunha

Help me out guys.

Fiio e7 or the e11?

At home im using a GradoSR325...on the go i have a German Maestro GMP8.35 and i`m getting audio from a Samsung Galaxys2.

i`m torn and i need help!

Max

I am not Max
Help me out guys.

Fiio e7 or the e11?

At home im using a GradoSR325...on the go i have a German Maestro GMP8.35 and i`m getting audio from a Samsung Galaxys2.

i`m torn and i need help!

I'm still trying to decide between the two for PC use with my HD558's

Ashong's used all 3 and prefers the E11, I've also been recommended the E11 by a friend. It's the cheapest too.

Hurm...

kamspy

Wow. The $30 Meelectionics M21's sound worse than my old $9 Skullcandy in every way. :(

Is there a break in period on IEMs or should I assume these are defective or overhyped?

Wow. The $30 Meelectionics M21's sound worse than my old $9 Skullcandy in every way. :(

Is there a break in period on IEMs or should I assume these are defective or overhyped?

Give yourself some time to get used to the sound sig. If you find that you still hate them 2 days later, then yeah, they are either defective or not for you.

Presco

I'm still trying to decide between the two for PC use with my HD558's

Ashong's used all 3 and prefers the E11, I've also been recommended the E11 by a friend. It's the cheapest too.

Hurm...

Wait for the E17 if you can afford it. I was considering both the E7 and E11 but it looks like the E17 is coming within the month.

Impressions from an early reviewer (it's early, so of course positive, and no actual review yet).

https://www.facebook.com/headfonia/posts/261758477220167

guys, when was the last time we posted pics of our headphone collections?

I remember creating a thread ages ago dedicated to that but I don't want to resurrect while this is still active.

They're bright as hell. I mean like, ear peeling bright. As a result, they have a much lower volume threshold before it all breaks up.

Hmmm, sounds like the Etymotics ER-6i. Bitey treble is not fun. Some people seem to have a high tolerance for it, but I could only tolerate phones like the 6i's for about half an hour before I suffer from fatigue. I'd try to return the MEE's and save up your money for something else.

1stStrike

Banned
guys, when was the last time we posted pics of our headphone collections?

I remember creating a thread ages ago dedicated to that but I don't want to resurrect while this is still active.

Can't recall. My "collection" only consists of 2 full sized phones and 1 pair of ear buds, though. I guess, technically, 3 full sized phones if you count my D2000's where I managed to break both ear cups off the headband... they're in a drawer somewhere... :p

FL4TW4V3

So I just ordered the Superlux HD668B and an Indeed G3 amp. What do you think guys, is it a good combo and will the amp be able to drive some more difficult headphones later on?

Top Bottom