• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

kamspy

So I just ordered the Superlux HD668B and an Indeed G3 amp. What do you think guys, is it a good combo and will the amp be able to drive some more difficult headphones later on?

There is only 1 <$100 headphone that competes with it. I went through 5 pairs trying to find the best value under $100. The Superlux's were my favorite, but I wear a size 8 ballcap and the clamping was too much. Very neutral sound though, some might find it boring it's so neutral. Personally, I like a little sound signature and kept the Sony XB500s out of all the pairs I tested. I would have been content with the Superlux if not for the clamping.

LCfiner

What's the general consensus on the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A?

I think they're great. Lush sound with a bump in the lower midrange makes them fun to listen to. Good, strong bass, too.

They don't have a very aggressive high end but it's not lacking for detail.

Kyaw

I think they're great. Lush sound with a bump in the lower midrange makes them fun to listen to. Good, strong bass, too.

They don't have a very aggressive high end but it's not lacking for detail.

I see. Worth paying >£200 for?
Any other alternatives at that price range? (Closed, semi-portable, engulfs ear)

Bananakin

Okay gaf, I'm getting tired of using apple's earbuds for my music listening, so I'm looking to get some decent over-ear headphones. I'm thinking something under $100, since I'm by no means an audiophile, but I'm open to higher prices if it's genuinely worth it. An inline remote for iPhone control would be a plus, but not 100% necessary. Any suggestions? What's the best deal for my money?

LCfiner

I see. Worth paying >£200 for?
Any other alternatives at that price range? (Closed, semi-portable, engulfs ear)

200 pounds is a lot. I paid 220 USD from beach audio via amazon.

I don't think they're worth double that.

Here are the portable, on ear headphones I have listened to for comparison, listed from most favorite to least favorite.

ESW9 - good balance of detail and fun, lush sound but still has good detail.

Beyerdynamic DT1350 - incredible detail but very hard to get a decent fit and decent sound.

Sennheiser hd25-1 II - very fun with big bass and lively treble but sound seems congested and lacking detail for complex instrumental parts compared to DT1350

Bowers Wilkins P5 - bit too much of a muffled sound. Tries to present a similar presentation to the esw9 but lacks the detail and midrange that I liked with the esw9

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I fall in love with the HE-300, then HiFiMAN introduces the HE-400 out of fucking nowhere, their cheapest ever planar magnetic set at just $349.

fml

Ashhong

I'm still trying to decide between the two for PC use with my HD558's

Ashong's used all 3 and prefers the E11, I've also been recommended the E11 by a friend. It's the cheapest too.

Hurm...

It's really a case of your needs. If you need it for the PC mainly I would get the E7 as the DAC is pretty good. I have a very nice amp going on my PC so only needed something for portable needs.

The E7 was also good as a portable amp, and the giant battery life was a plus. But the E11 is cheaper and provides a slightly better sound. So if you are going to use it a lot on the PC, get the E7, if you are mostly going to use it for portable, get the E11.

Of course you can also wait and see on the E17.

LCfiner

I fall in love with the HE-300, then HiFiMAN introduces the HE-400 out of fucking nowhere, their cheapest ever planar magnetic set at just $349.

fml

well, it’s 350 only for pre-orders. regular price is 400 and will take effect soon. still seems like a good price, of course, assuming it comes relatively close to the HE-500 in SQ

kamspy

So I changed out the ear pieces in the Meelec M21s and they sound and feel alot better. When I go back to work I'm gonna take home some foam earplugs and try that little mod.

LordCanti

My custom TF10's got completed today. I don't have them yet so I don't know how they fit or sound, but I'm pleased with how the colors and the logo turned out.

(Blurred out my name)
QtPH9.jpg

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Those look sweet Canti. Where'd you get it done?

LordCanti

Those look sweet Canti. Where'd you get it done?

InEarZ/Fisher Hearing. It was $125 all told (there is a Head-Fi group buy going on right now, or it would have been $30 more)

Alucrid said:
Can't see the image at work, what design did you end up going with?

I went with Amuro's logo from CCA (The Unicorn looking one). I decided that I didn't want to explain the NERV logo to everyone I know, lol.

Unicorn Gundam. Gendo disapproves

Amuro was killing fools in his mobile suit before Gendou was born ;P

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Can someone recommend me some decent headphones, would prefer on ear, in the $50-100 range. I was looking at seinheiser, but they have a shitload of options and i found one i like and its "bass enhanced" which im not sure about.

I listen to a lot of rock, metal, to everything like jazz, blues, country and rap, so pretty neutral sounding would be best.

LordCanti

Any advice on how to keep my iem tips from falling off. I'm running out of replacement tips for my CW31p's.

Falling off how? In your ears? If so, I'd say you need smaller tips (the friction from them being too large is dragging them off the stem). If you mean falling off when they are out of your ears, you need tips that actually fit your stems. That shouldn't be happening.

Falling off how? In your ears? If so, I'd say you need smaller tips (the friction from them being too large is dragging them off the stem). If you mean falling off when they are out of your ears, you need tips that actually fit your stems. That shouldn't be happening.

I meant when they're around my neck, not in use. I am buying them directly from Meelec, so they should be the right size.

LordCanti

I meant when they're around my neck, not in use. I am buying them directly from Meelec, so they should be the right size.

I've never had a pair from them, but it sounds like they don't put a lot of thought into how their tips are going to fit on the stems. I've had multiple IEM's (Shure, Etymotic, Ultimate Ears, etc) and I've always had to struggle to take off the tips. They always fit very securely.

Maybe you could put a small rubber band around the tips once they are on the stem to hold them in place? That's if the stem is long enough for that, of course, and if the tips have space for it. If not, I'm not sure what you should do.

Jhriad

Can someone recommend me some decent headphones, would prefer on ear, in the $50-100 range. I was looking at seinheiser, but they have a shitload of options and i found one i like and its "bass enhanced" which im not sure about.

I listen to a lot of rock, metal, to everything like jazz, blues, country and rap, so pretty neutral sounding would be best.

I'm not much for on ear phones so any experience that I have there is limited but you could try looking into the Grado SR80i.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
thanks guys, just added them to my cart in amazon.

Would it be recommended to use a LOD for iphone4s with them?

Nephix

I would very much appreciate some guidance in deciding which headphone to buy. I'll provide some basic information first.

I currently own a Sennheiser PC360 headset and I like the comfort levels and the clarity of the sound, but the bass is just nowhere to be found; I want to find something new with a punchier bass but with the same level of comfort and possibly a really decent midrange.
It's going to be used mainly for listening to music, virtually every single genre ranging from rock, hip hop, jpop/kpop to classical music and trance. If it's also suitable for some gaming, that's a plus as well I guess. The genres I listen to the most are bolded.

The price range I'm looking at is anything up to €200. So far I've read about and looked at the m50, d2000, srh840 and the fa-003 but sadly I can't try out any of them as they're not available in any store near me. Basically all I can find in stores are the beats and a bunch of wireless headphones. What I can say after reading about them is that there are really mixed opinions about the m50's, a recessed midrange on the d2000's, low level of comfort on the srh840 and the fa-003 being almost too neutral.

Finally, I should mention that the headphones are going to be unamped. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

pixelated

HifiMAN HE-400 pre-order or Sennheiser HD-650?

I can get both for the same price. The HE-400 while are not out yet seems promising considering the lower impedance although lower sensitivity compared to HD-650. Some even compare the HE-300 dynamics to the HD-650.

Desktop source: Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
Portable source: Samsung Galaxy S 2, Fiio E11

Currently own:
Grado SR60
Koss KSC75
Koss PRO4AAT (looking to replace these with AT M50)
Sennheiser PX-100

1stStrike

Banned
I would very much appreciate some guidance in deciding which headphone to buy. I'll provide some basic information first.

I currently own a Sennheiser PC360 headset and I like the comfort levels and the clarity of the sound, but the bass is just nowhere to be found; I want to find something new with a punchier bass but with the same level of comfort and possibly a really decent midrange.
It's going to be used mainly for listening to music, virtually every single genre ranging from rock, hip hop, jpop/kpop to classical music and trance. If it's also suitable for some gaming, that's a plus as well I guess. The genres I listen to the most are bolded.

The price range I'm looking at is anything up to €200. So far I've read about and looked at the m50, d2000, srh840 and the fa-003 but sadly I can't try out any of them as they're not available in any store near me. Basically all I can find in stores are the beats and a bunch of wireless headphones. What I can say after reading about them is that there are really mixed opinions about the m50's, a recessed midrange on the d2000's, low level of comfort on the srh840 and the fa-003 being almost too neutral.

Finally, I should mention that the headphones are going to be unamped. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Go with the D2000's. The midrange is fine and the bass doesn't drown it out at all. The bass on the D2000's punches more than its big brother, the D7000's (bass rolls smooth as silk in them), but the D2000's are fine for that price range.

They're also comfy for gaming and movies as well, as I used mine for both before upgrading. They can also be driven unamped without any issues. I went quite a while with just my D2000's before I got mine.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Soooo I get back to my desk and find my pair of Audio Technica ESW9 are BROKEN. The right speaker doesnt work at all. When I shake it, theres a noise coming from the inside, indicating theres something loose.

This fucking sucks. Ive had them for less than a year, great headphones but now I dunno what to do. Can I send them in to get fixed or should I just go get a new pair?

Urgh

leng jai

Go with the D2000's. The midrange is fine and the bass doesn't drown it out at all. The bass on the D2000's punches more than its big brother, the D7000's (bass rolls smooth as silk in them), but the D2000's are fine for that price range.

They're also comfy for gaming and movies as well, as I used mine for both before upgrading. They can also be driven unamped without any issues. I went quite a while with just my D2000's before I got mine.

Never heard the D2000s but I did find D7000's bass intruding into the midrange at times. I'd imagine the D2000s would be significantly worse in this regard as well. I guess to comes down to what sort of clarity you're used to.

mr.rager

Hey guys I need some advice. I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones for around 300$. I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD558 and HD598. From what I read the difference between the two is marginal. Does anyone have any experience with these 2 headphones? Also willing to listen to suggestions on other pairs.

LCfiner

I gotta disagree here. I had the D5000 (and later a modded MD5000) and the midrange on the D5000 stock felt very distant compared to other headphones I&#8217;ve used and especially against the modified (damped drivers) MD5000.

The bass does step into the midrange. It&#8217;s not a terrible sounding headphone but it&#8217;s really a very V-shaped FR.

leng jai

To be honest any headphones with "big bass" will inevitably have it seep into the other frequencies, it just comes with the territory. Especially with the Denon line, I would classy them as extremely bass skewed phones, so only get them if thats what you're looking for.

LCfiner

To be honest any headphones with "big bass" will inevitably have it seep into the other frequencies, it just comes with the territory. Especially with the Denon line, I would classy them as extremely bass skewed phones, so only get them if thats what you're looking for.

Very true, but those modified MD5000 (lawton audio damping mods) were the only headphone I have heard that had real hard hitting bass (nearly as strong as the stock) plus forward, awesome mids.

I haven’t heard that anywhere else. But I heard it once so I know it’s not entirely impossible!

I think I regret selling them, lol (due to a combination of an awkward, heavy cable and comfort issues with the old J$ pads they came with)

Nephix

Never heard the D2000s but I did find D7000's bass intruding into the midrange at times. I'd imagine the D2000s would be significantly worse in this regard as well. I guess to comes down to what sort of clarity you're used to.

I have a feeling that might be a problem in my case since all the Sennheisers I've listened to have had recessed bass and pronounced midrange, at least as far as I can tell. I do want these headphones to sound kind of different than my Sennheisers though.

leng jai

I have a feeling that might be a problem in my case since all the Sennheisers I've listened to have had recessed bass and pronounced midrange, at least as far as I can tell. I do want these headphones to sound kind of different than my Sennheisers though.

If you simply looking for the Sennheiser sound with more bass, then the choice is easy - HD650s (depending on how much you can get them for). Still a very midrange focused phone but with nice deep bass and decent impact. These things are probably one of the best value cans around at the moment for their US street price. Back in the day these used to be the king before the avalanche of ridiculously priced flagships came along.

They scale really well with different levels of equipment so IMO they are the ideal start for someone looking to get into high end headphones.

Just got a pair of Audio Technica A900's yesterday. From my research, it seems like these are good headphones that are cool to hate on for whatever reason.

Anyway, I needed something that didn't need an amp, that would be closed (suitable for using in a quiet office), and that would sound good running off an iPhone or plugged into my work computer. With all the research I did, these fit all that criteria. I got them for $169. So far I'm really impressed by them, coming from the Sony 7506s that I'd been using for several years now.

They do seem to leak more noise than I expected. And they're really big. I can see these things out of my peripheral vision! So I don't know if I can use these at work. I'd like to think I don't care what I look like, but I don't want my co-workers looking at me like I'm crazy. Lots of people wear headphones (earphones) in my office, but most of them are using iPod earbuds. Going to be a tough call whether I take these to work or not. They don't have a bag, don't fold up. Not easily transportable like the 7506s are.

LordCanti

Soooo I get back to my desk and find my pair of Audio Technica ESW9 are BROKEN. The right speaker doesnt work at all. When I shake it, theres a noise coming from the inside, indicating theres something loose.

This fucking sucks. Ive had them for less than a year, great headphones but now I dunno what to do. Can I send them in to get fixed or should I just go get a new pair?

Urgh

That something rattling around is probably a wire that has come off of the driver. The fix may be as simple as resoldering the wire to the board, but it's hard to say without looking at it. See if you can't find instructions on how to open the headphones. If you can't, you don't have many options other than factory service.

HifiMAN HE-400 pre-order or Sennheiser HD-650?

I can get both for the same price. The HE-400 while are not out yet seems promising considering the lower impedance although lower sensitivity compared to HD-650. Some even compare the HE-300 dynamics to the HD-650.

Desktop source: Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
Portable source: Samsung Galaxy S 2, Fiio E11

Currently own:
Grado SR60
Koss KSC75
Koss PRO4AAT (looking to replace these with AT M50)
Sennheiser PX-100

Considering your current setup, I'd say HE-400. The 650's are hard to drive, and notorious for being difficult to pair with an amplifier. Honestly, I'd be reluctant to purchase a brand new product based on nothing but the previous products from a company though. Yeah it's a $50 savings, but if you hate them, are they going to let you return them?

Kevin

Looking for some feedback so any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know a great deal about good sounding headphones and with hundreds of options available it's a bit daunting trying to choose a pair that best suits me.

I'm looking for a pair that that has good support across the board: PC/PS3/360/Blu-Ray/Music

$150 is the sweet spot but I am willing to go up to $300. For those who watch Blu-Rays and play games, how expensive should you go before you stop realizing a climb in audio quality. What is the sweet spot in terms of sound quality and price?

So what's a great pair that will work with all of my media and have well produced sound to deliver an immersive experience? Currently looking at the Turtle Beach x41 which I hear both good things and bad things for. Does Gaf have any better suggestions? Thank you for the help!

1stStrike

Banned

Interesting. I've been using the D7000's for over a year and I've never noticed anything of the sort. What kind of music do you listen to?

The D2000's are much less refined in the bass department than the D7000's, but the sound quality between them is not huge.

I have everything tweaked just right for my hearing. If you're complaining of clarity issues with these headphones then you probably didn't have the right setup.

Top Bottom