• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

leng jai

Interesting. I've been using the D7000's for over a year and I've never noticed anything of the sort. What kind of music do you listen to?

The D2000's are much less refined in the bass department than the D7000's, but the sound quality between them is not huge.

I have everything tweaked just right for my hearing. If you're complaining of clarity issues with these headphones then you probably didn't have the right setup.

I used the D7000s for a year with the Burson HA160 until I got the T1s. Compared to the AKG 702s and the Beyer T1s and the clarity is not in the same stratosphere. When you have the bass quantity of the D7000s there is always a compromise in clarity and general "airiness". Again if you haven't heard top tier phones without subwoofer bass emphasis it won't be as apparent. The D7000s are fantastic at what they set out to achieve but on music that demands tonal balance they simply fail.

Nephix

If you simply looking for the Sennheiser sound with more bass, then the choice is easy - HD650s (depending on how much you can get them for). Still a very midrange focused phone but with nice deep bass and decent impact. These things are probably one of the best value cans around at the moment for their US street price. Back in the day these used to be the king before the avalanche of ridiculously priced flagships came along.

They scale really well with different levels of equipment so IMO they are the ideal start for someone looking to get into high end headphones.

The problem with the 650s, aside from being outside my pricerange, is that they would probably need a pretty decent amp though, right?

Best price I could find the 650s for was somewhere in the region of €330.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy the D2000s and invest in a portable dac/amp later on to improve the midrange if it's really noticeable; probably something like the fiio e7 or something more elaborate.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
HifiMAN HE-400 pre-order or Sennheiser HD-650?

I can get both for the same price. The HE-400 while are not out yet seems promising considering the lower impedance although lower sensitivity compared to HD-650. Some even compare the HE-300 dynamics to the HD-650.

Desktop source: Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
Portable source: Samsung Galaxy S 2, Fiio E11

Currently own:
Grado SR60
Koss KSC75
Koss PRO4AAT (looking to replace these with AT M50)
Sennheiser PX-100

It's too earlier to flat out recommend the HE-400. If you don't want to wait, you may just go with the HE-300, as quite a few people prefer if to the HD650 anyway.

Amon37

OK I work the night shift therefore on my days off I'm up all night and my wife has deemed I need headphones for my tv watching and gaming. I have a Denon AVR-887 that all my sources plug into so I want something that can plug into that so I can listen to anything through the headphones. Wireless and wired options please 200.00 dollar max price.

3N16MA

Banned
HifiMAN HE-400 pre-order or Sennheiser HD-650?

I can get both for the same price. The HE-400 while are not out yet seems promising considering the lower impedance although lower sensitivity compared to HD-650. Some even compare the HE-300 dynamics to the HD-650.

Desktop source: Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
Portable source: Samsung Galaxy S 2, Fiio E11

Currently own:
Grado SR60
Koss KSC75
Koss PRO4AAT (looking to replace these with AT M50)
Sennheiser PX-100

I'm also looking at the HE-400 as I plan on upgrading from my HD555's. Need something that is good with multiple genres and the HD555's are not bass heavy enough for some genres I listen to. Not looking for boomy exaggerated bass just something more than what the HD555's deliver and are open back. Check out Headfonia, great site and the owner has a pair of HE-400's in hand. Will be posting his impressions pretty soon.

snack

Dammit! I lost my stock Apple earphones. Are there any decent in-ear ones in the $50 range? Thanks.

EDIT: How are the a-JAYS Four?

Mad Max

Hi everyone. I've been thinking about buying a set of decent headphones lately, since my HD201's have been dying for a while now and they weren't all that in terms of audio quality in the first place.. I'm looking currently looking to buy something in the sub ~$160 range, but there are so many options that I have now idea how to even narrow it down. :x Does anyone here have a few recommendations in that price range? I'm mostly looking for something that's good for listening to music as well as watching movies and playing games. I also won't be using an amp for now so it should be something that my laptop is able to handle by itself.

K.Jack

Hi everyone. I've been thinking about buying a set of decent headphones lately, since my HD201's have been dying for a while now and they weren't all that in terms of audio quality in the first place.. I'm looking currently looking to buy something in the sub ~$160 range, but there are so many options that I have now idea how to even narrow it down. :x Does anyone here have a few recommendations in that price range? I'm mostly looking for something that's good for listening to music as well as watching movies and playing games. I also won't be using an amp for now so it should be something that my laptop is able to handle by itself.
Raise your budget a few bucks and get the HD25-II. At $176.68 they're hard to beat.

I'm also looking at the HE-400 as I plan on upgrading from my HD555's. Need something that is good with multiple genres and the HD555's are not bass heavy enough for some genres I listen to. Not looking for boomy exaggerated bass just something more than what the HD555's deliver and are open back. Check out Headfonia, great site and the owner has a pair of HE-400's in hand. Will be posting his impressions pretty soon.

Impressions on Headfi seem to indicate that the HE400 has more bass impact and treble sparkle than the HE300/500, but that the 500 has the best mids and most refined sound. I quite enjoy mids myself.... Hmmm... This may be the first pair of full sized phones that have interested me in a very long time. I may think about selling off some stuff to jump on the HE400

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'd second that. After they burn in, they sound fantastic. They are open, though.

I'm not much for on ear phones so any experience that I have there is limited but you could try looking into the Grado SR80i.

They are way bigger than they looked, they are open but they still cover my big ears entirely. They sound great though. Thanks for the recommendation guys!

3N16MA

Banned
Impressions on Headfi seem to indicate that the HE400 has more bass impact and treble sparkle than the HE300/500, but that the 500 has the best mids and most refined sound. I quite enjoy mids myself.... Hmmm... This may be the first pair of full sized phones that have interested me in a very long time. I may think about selling off some stuff to jump on the HE400

Been reading the same impressions on Head-Fi which seems positive so far. Waiting for a more detailed thoughts from Headfonia but I like what I'm reading to this point.

Kraftwerk

I need your help to save my sisters soul.

Most of her friends in school have bought the Beats headphone, and she wants to get one too. I despise Monster with a passion,and I don't want her to flush her money away.

Recommend a headphone around the $350 range that is actually good.

Been reading the same impressions on Head-Fi which seems positive so far. Waiting for a more detailed thoughts from Headfonia but I like what I'm reading to this point.

Yeah, I'm waiting on the Headphonia review as well. The HE300 weren't punching above their price point so I wasn't interested. I do almost all of my listening on the go, so I've been using IEMs exclusively for years. The logical thing for me to do is to just go the custom route, but a good set of orthos for $400 is quite hard to ignore. I won't be able to make the preorder at this point but if anything, I'm sure these'll go FOTM over at headfi and we'll see a few pairs go for sale.

fuenf

hey guys, i'm trying to decide between the Ultimate Ears 700 and the Audeo PFE 111 / 121. Any recommendations? I was initially going with the Audeo PFEs because they a currently have a sale on their website and include additional audiofilters / accessories for free but i read that the audiofilters dirty up real fast and become unusable. Some people even say the problem is so bad that they have to exchange the filters almost weekly, can anyone confirm this observation?

3N16MA

Banned
I need your help to save my sisters soul.

Most of her friends in school have bought the Beats headphone, and she wants to get one too. I despise Monster with a passion,and I don't want her to flush her money away.

Recommend a headphone around the $350 range that is actually good.

I'm guessing a big part of the reason your sister wants beats is because of their style and image. You can find much better sounding headphones for $350 and under but I'm not sure that sound is her #1 priority. If you want to find her something that is stylish (style is subjective) but also delivers something more than Beats I would look at the V-MODA Crossfade M-80 which are on ear but have gotten great reviews from just about everyone who has tried them. I believe V-MODA will be releasing the over the ear version to the M-80 (not the LP2) at CES.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
On a recent trip across the country I discovered
to my delight
the cans on my Bose headphones had separated from the headband. How both of these freed themselves on the same day I'll never know.

I knew with just a little tape however they could still be used so the dream of getting quality headphones was fading.

I stuffed the three components into my jacket pocket which was now bulging from my right side.

Without much thought and a shit load of force, the woman next to me brought down her arm rest and smashed my headphones into a couple more pieces like a nutcracker.

Looking forward to reading this thread.

On a recent trip across the country I discovered
to my delight
the cans on my Bose headphones had separated from the headband. How both of these freed themselves on the same day I'll never know.

I knew with just a little tape however they could still be used so the dream of getting quality headphones was fading.

I stuffed the three components into my jacket pocket which was now bulging from my right side.

Without much thought and a shit load of force, the woman next to me brought down her arm rest and smashed my headphones into a couple more pieces like a nutcracker.

Looking forward to reading this thread.
Your phones died for your sake man. Higher audio is your calling. Welcome to the brood.

rjfs

Neo Member
Pardon my complete headphone ignorance....

I got the Bose Noise cancelling headphones from work, and while they do a great job of canceling background noise on flights they always hurt my ears/head as it feels like there's all sorts of pressure almost like the headphones are trying to suck my brains out of my ears. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do about it? It's unpleasant enough that I only use them on flights.

I got the Bose Noise cancelling headphones from work, and while they do a great job of canceling background noise on flights they always hurt my ears/head as it feels like there's all sorts of pressure almost like the headphones are trying to suck my brains out of my ears. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do about it? It's unpleasant enough that I only use them on flights.

It's pretty normal for closed headphones, yes.

LordCanti

That's how they keep outside noises out. If you want true noise cancellation, I suggest a pair of IEM's with foam tips. They should have a similar comfort level to the foam ear plugs you may be familiar with, and they'll block out more noise than noise cancelling earphones.

Mad Max

Raise your budget a few bucks and get the HD25-II. At $176.68 they're hard to beat.

Yeah I've been looking at those. The only problem I have with them is that they seem to be more of an on than over ear type of headphones and I'm not sure if that would be comfortable for me or not. On the other hand I've seen a lot of people recommend these.

In the mean time I've also been looking at some other headphones and reading a few reviews here and there. The best headphones in my pricerange that would work with my amp-less setup seem to be the Sennheiser HD25-1-II you mentioned; the AT M50; the Sennheiser HD598 (seems relatively cheap here in europe); the AKG 272 HD; and the Ultrasone Hfi-780.

Can anyone here who has heard/owned one or more of these comment on their quality? Keep in mind that I'm not really concerned about mobility since I will only use this at home.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Alright, I need some headphones to hook to my receiver when playing games at night. I asked for some for Christmas, but the wife got me other stuff (some good stuff, just not headphones).

Some I'm looking cheap.

Better option than the Superlux 662's off Ebay for about $58? Amazon doesn't seem to carry the 662's.. just the 681's.

One's open, one's closed.

HiResDes

Koss ProDJ100's if your receiver is good enough, these beat out most of the headphones in the entire OP depending upon if they're amped right.

NervousXtian

..and I could pair that later with say a Astro MixAmp 5.8 direct to my consoles and go wireless?

TMA-1: For those that have them, what are your thoughts? Good for gaming too? Worth the $200ish? I am also looking at the AD700's (Miss the soundstage of the 555s I use to have) as well for gaming. Going to order either the ad700's or TMA-1s tonight.

Just ordered a new Astro 5.8 Mixamp and I am going to pair them with a new set of headphones (currently I have the ATH-50s and Sony MDR-7506).

LordCanti

Koss ProDJ100's if your receiver is good enough, these beat out most of the headphones in the entire OP depending upon if they're amped right.

fgqr4.gif

NervousXtian

I ended up doing the 681's off Amazon. I read a review that preferred them over the 662's, and the price was better.. and Prime get's them here Thursday.

LCfiner

Just read another very positive impression of the new HE-400 from hifiman over on head-fi. I’m looking forward to reading more impressions at CES and I think I may even jump on a pair sometime in summer 2012. From what I’m reading, they’re really punching over their weight.

NervousXtian

should of went DJ100s if you're gonna be amping them, but good pick nonetheless

Wife would have kicked my ass spending $80 on myself right after Christmas. $37 she could swing, I'll get myself something nicer come bonus time.

K.Jack

Just read another very positive impression of the new HE-400 from hifiman over on head-fi. I’m looking forward to reading more impressions at CES and I think I’ll may even jump on a pair sometime in summer 2012. From what I’m reading, they’re really punching over their weight.

Fuuuuuuuck.

I knew I should have made a move. Just checked Paypal, and the 30 day refund period on my HE-300 just lapsed today.

Fuuuuuuuck.

I knew I should have made a move. Just checked Paypal, and the 30 day refund period on my HE-300 just lapsed today.

You could always put them up for sale. Hell, if you're serious about getting the 400's, you ought to put them up for sale ASAP before FOTM reaches critical mass and the 300s become completely overlooked in favor of the 400's as I'm expecting will be the case.

Here's a link to a pretty nice preliminary impression with some great pics:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out/150#post_8022230
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out/165#post_8022757

lolmark

This is my first time posting in this thread.

I'm looking to spend around $300 on a new pair of headphones. I sorta narrowed my choices to 2 headphones: the HifiMAN HE-400 [which isn't out yet...] and Grado SR325is.

What should I be thinking about before dropping money for a pair? Is it worth being a HE-400 early adopter? I mostly listen to punk/hardcore, hip hop and k-pop.

I'm looking to spend around $300 on a new pair of headphones. I sorta narrowed my choices to 2 headphones: the HifiMAN HE-400 [which isn't out yet...] and Grado SR325is.

What should I be thinking about before dropping money for a pair? Is it worth being a HE-400 early adopter? I mostly listen to punk/hardcore, hip hop and k-pop.
Read the thread I linked to above, the HE400s punch above their price point and are tuned to excel at the genres you listed. I'm definitely going to be a future adopter.

LordCanti

I'd wait for reviews of the HE-400's before doing anything. That guys impressions are based on a "near" production sample (and God knows what will become of the design between now and the finished product). It's also custom wired, and amped with a much more expensive amp than you'll be using (if you were planning on using an amp at all).

I always take early reviews with a massive grain of salt.

The USB cable in that rig sells for like a grand a foot. Just leaving that hilarious nugget here in the spoiler area.

K.Jack

You could always put them up for sale. Hell, if you're serious about getting the 400's, you ought to put them up for sale ASAP before FOTM reaches critical mass and the 300s become completely overlooked in favor of the 400's as I'm expecting will be the case.

It's already too late, as the 400's hype train is at full speed. With the 300s already discounted at $249, I'd be lucky to get $200.

After some thought, I've decided to just fall back. I honestly love pretty much everything the HE-300 is giving me, regardless of what the HE-400 is, so I'm going to keep it.

I'd rather attempt to hold out hope for HiFiMAN releasing a closed ortho with which I could replace my TMA-1. The community is calling out for them to create one, so hopefully they listen sometime in the near future.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Oh man, the IE8s on the train this morning rocked. First time I've used them as part of my daily commute since I got them when I was on vacation.

Isolation was astounding with the Comply TX-500's. Perfect.

Looks like I have two pretty different ear canals, as my left uses mediums and my right uses larges in order to get a good seal...and the depth in left is pretty different than the depth in my right. Not sure how that's affecting sound quality, but the seals take different tips and have different depths.

Either way, awesome IEMs.

It's already too late, as the 400's hype train is at full speed. With the 300s already discounted at $249, I'd be lucky to get $200.

After some thought, I've decided to just fall back. I honestly love pretty much everything the HE-300 is giving me, regardless of what the HE-400 is, so I'm going to keep it.

I'd rather attempt to hold out hope for HiFiMAN releasing a closed ortho with which I could replace my TMA-1. The community is calling out for them to create one, so hopefully they listen sometime in the near future.

Yeah, the 400's really came out of left field. The closed ortho suggestion may come to light someday though. Fang (such an awesme name haha) was in the thread saying that although the 400 sound wasn't to his taste, he wanted to develop a pair of phones that catered more to a western audiophile taste because he had to develop things that would sell, so... It definitely proves that HiFiMan is observing trends in the western community. I felt like the RE262 was the first departure from their house sound, and this is the next.

RubxQub - yeah, I have the same issue, different shaped ears. I get a better seal in one than the other. It's pretty annoying really. I'd probably have a better time of it if I just got custom tips made, but I don't particularly feel like paying for impressions and waiting for molds to be made.

Nightz

Total headphone noob here. I've been using regular Apple earbuds and have been wanting to get some actual headphones for some time now. Due to some game trade-ins, I now have about $170 in credit at Amazon. Can anyone recommend me some good headphones under $200?

Main uses would be during work and occasional late night PC gaming sessions. I work in an office so I don't want anything that'll disturb others. I listen to all types of music...rock, R&B, jazz, classical, electronic, etc.

Again, I know nothing about headphones and I'm just overwhelmed by all the choices out there. Are amps necessary? Any help would be appreaciated!

LordCanti

RubxQub - yeah, I have the same issue, different shaped ears. I get a better seal in one than the other. It's pretty annoying really. I'd probably have a better time of it if I just got custom tips made, but I don't particularly feel like paying for impressions and waiting for molds to be made.

For what it's worth, I did the impressions myself for $20 and the whole process took about two weeks. It would have been quicker, but they managed to finish them on a Friday, and with the holiday, they won't be here till tomorrow even with 2-day air shipping.

The impression part was my biggest hangup before I watched a video of someone doing it themselves on youtube. You literally just jam a cotton ball with a string down your ear, mix some goop together, and then shoot it into your ear with a syringe and wait.

HiResDes

Total headphone noob here. I've been using regular Apple earbuds and have been wanting to get some actual headphones for some time now. Due to some game trade-ins, I now have about $170 in credit at Amazon. Can anyone recommend me some good headphones under $200?

Main uses would be during work and occasional late night PC gaming sessions. I work in an office so I don't want anything that'll disturb others. I listen to all types of music...rock, R&B, jazz, classical, electronic, etc.

Again, I know nothing about headphones and I'm just overwhelmed by all the choices out there. Are amps necessary? Any help would be appreaciated!

KNS 8400

Top Bottom