• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

For what it's worth, I did the impressions myself for $20 and the whole process took about two weeks. It would have been quicker, but they managed to finish them on a Friday, and with the holiday, they won't be here till tomorrow even with 2-day air shipping.

The impression part was my biggest hangup before I watched a video of someone doing it themselves on youtube. You literally just jam a cotton ball with a string down your ear, mix some goop together, and then shoot it into your ear with a syringe and wait.

I dunno... I'd probably rather leave that to a professional, the idea of syringing impression material into my ears, (not to mention the margin for error) is not a particularly comfortable one :/ I'd go the custom route only if the cables on my SM3's fail, or if I one day step up to the UM Miracles/Westone ES5. However, the hybrid technology found in the AKG K3003 makes me want to just wait it out and see if that won't trickle down into something more affordable.

LordCanti

I dunno... I'd probably rather leave that to a professional, the idea of syringing impression material into my ears, (not to mention the margin for error) is not a particularly comfortable one :/ I'd go the custom route only if the cables on my SM3's fail, or if I one day step up to the UM Miracles/Westone ES5. However, the hybrid technology found in the AKG K3003 makes me want to just wait it out and see if that won't trickle down into something more affordable.

If money or time isn't an issue, then a professional is the way to go. I was looking at around $50-$100 for local audiologists to do it though, and it would have taken awhile to get an appointment. Since the company was having a group buy discount, I didn't have time to wait. The cotton ball in the ear is to stop the impression material from getting to the sensitive portions of the ear, but I can still understand the hesitation.

I probably should have just went for the JH5's when they were on sale for $350 or so, but I couldn't really justify the expense to myself. That's a lot to spend for something with very little resale value anyway, especially since I couldn't demo it before purchasing, which I was able to do with the TF10 customs (assuming that they don't fudge the sound signature when turning them into customs, which they shouldn't).

Nightz

Looking at the genres you listen to, these are pretty much the best bang for buck.

Gotcha. In terms of amplifiers, is one necessary to make the sound experience better? If so, which ones would you recommend? I listen to my music from an Ipod Touch if that matters.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
TMA-1: For those that have them, what are your thoughts? Good for gaming too? Worth the $200ish? I am also looking at the AD700's (Miss the soundstage of the 555s I use to have) as well for gaming. Going to order either the ad700's or TMA-1s tonight.

Just ordered a new Astro 5.8 Mixamp and I am going to pair them with a new set of headphones (currently I have the ATH-50s and Sony MDR-7506).

How much are you paying for the tma-1's? Lowest I could find was 170 shipped. I'll be ordering in a few days.

Edit: nvm, I see you went the ad700 route.

should of went DJ100s if you're gonna be amping them, but good pick nonetheless

What do you recommend regarding amping with these headphones? I've been lurking the thread a bit lately as I'm ready to dive in, but want to start out cheaper first.

Headphone usage mainly electronic like UK Garage/Funky, 2-step, ambient; jazz, alternative.

How much are you paying for the tma-1's? Lowest I could find was 170 shipped. I'll be ordering in a few days.

Edit: nvm, I see you went the ad700 route.

The ones on Amazon are $199, but I heard the AD700s are better for gaming. I already have ATH-50s for more bassier headphones.

harSon

Banned
I received my HD-598s in the mail today and OMG... coming from $10 earbuds, I realize I've been missing the fuck out. It's almost like I've never heard most of my playlist, I'm picking up on aspects of the beats that I didn't know existed!

HiResDes

Gotcha. In terms of amplifiers, is one necessary to make the sound experience better? If so, which ones would you recommend? I listen to my music from an Ipod Touch if that matters.

Any decent low end Amp/Dac combo will do, but they sound decent without one.

I received my HD-598s in the mail today and OMG... coming from $10 earbuds, I realize I've been missing the fuck out. It's almost like I've never heard most of my playlist, I'm picking up on aspects of the beats that I didn't know existed!

So it beings.

See ya in a couple years when you have a $1000 amp, $800 DAC and $1000 cans. :-(

HiResDes

What do you recommend regarding amping with these headphones? I've been lurking the thread a bit lately as I'm ready to dive in, but want to start out cheaper first.

Headphone usage mainly electronic like UK Garage/Funky, 2-step, ambient; jazz, alternative.

The FiiO E10 on high gain might be a decent start if you're not trying to spend any money. However, something like the Nuforce Icon HD is going to be much better, albeit quite expensive

LordCanti

Man it's weird to have hard plastic jammed into your ears, even if it's fitted to the exact dimensions of your ears. Much more comfortable than any other IEM I've ever tried though, possibly with the exception of the barely there Etymotic ER-6i (which sounded kind of iffy, and was impossible to remove from the ear). To my ear, the audio signature didn't change at all from the stock TF10's with the comply tips (which is mostly what I auditioned, since they were the only tips that fit in my ears).

Probably the best $220-$250 (I forget) I've ever spent for audio gear. I say probably because I got my K701's on sale for $200. If only they were comfortable >< Still considering either selling them off, or taking the drastic step of sanding off the head bumps.

I've been using them for 3 weeks now. Love them. Although it won't please the people who only listen to hip-hop.

Nothing really stood out the first minute I had them on. But that's what these cans are all about. Neutral, natural sound with just enough warmth to it. First thing I noticed was how clear the vocals were. For the money, these cans are definitely awesome.

Question for you guys.

So I just got my ATH-AD700s today, and comparing them to the HD555s I had for a month, I think I liked the 555s a lot better.

Maybe I am just crazy, I think the big thing is that the Sennheisers were a bit more snug. And the 700s feel HUGE.

What are your thoughts on the comparison of the two (or the 558 that replaced it)? It will be matched up with an Astro mixamp for gaming. I have some ATH-50s that I use for most of my music.

HiResDes

Yeah I don't know what you were expecting, definitely not an upgrade at all, but a mere sidegrade really. I did find the soundstage on the 700s to be impressive though.

JayDub

tumblr_lv56xyT0w31qlpy73o1_500.gif

Anyone know which headphones these are?

AZ Greg

Question for you guys.

So I just got my ATH-AD700s today, and comparing them to the HD555s I had for a month, I think I liked the 555s a lot better.

Maybe I am just crazy, I think the big thing is that the Sennheisers were a bit more snug. And the 700s feel HUGE.

I preferred the 555s too. Like you mentioned, wasn't a fan of how they fit. They kinda just float there. Which makes them comfy, but not my cup of tea.

Yeah I don't know what you were expecting, definitely not an upgrade at all, but a mere sidegrade really. I did find the soundstage on the 700s to be impressive though.

I preferred the 555s too. Like you mentioned, wasn't a fan of how they fit. They kinda just float there. Which makes them comfy, but not my cup of tea.

My question is then, how are the Sennheisers 558/555's for gaming? I know the AD700s are recommended for those hooking them up to mixamps for gaming.

Mistle

So I'm thinking of upgrading my ATH-ES7's..

F2MAa.jpg

To the ATH-ESW9

KQLhY.jpg

I really like the sound of my ES7's but lack of padding on the headband always gives me a sore head. I can't stand it anymore lol. I noticed the ESW9 has padding, so it should solve that problem, while also giving be better sound.

How is the sound of them though? I listen mainly to "rock" music I guess you could generally call it (bands like Brand New, Muse, Green Day, Coldplay, Radiohead, The Living End, Blink 182, Say Anything etc), and also some hip-hop like Kanye/Outkast every now and then.
I prefer my headphones to be a tad on a bassy side, but not overpowering. I really dislike harsh trebles of course, so the smoother the better. It's hard to describe- I like bright guitars/vocals, but I also want them to have a deep, punchy back-end to them. Nice and tight, where I can feel the kick of drums. A bigger soundstage is always a plus too but I understand there'll be a limit when it comes to closed headphones.

Pretty much, if they sound like an improved version of the ES7's, then I'll be happy. I love the look of them also!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I run them through only an iPhone. I considered getting one of those small FiiO amps but I'm not sure how much it would actually improve the sound.

LordCanti

My question is then, how are the Sennheisers 558/555's for gaming? I know the AD700s are recommended for those hooking them up to mixamps for gaming.

I haven't heard the 558's, but the 555's are okay for gaming. They're very comfortable, and have a reasonably mid-tier sound (after taking out the sound destroying foam anyway).

Can they be bought anymore? I thought they got discontinued.

AZ Greg

Has anyone compared the HD555/558 to the AD700s for gaming and soundstage?

Might just have to order the HD558s and compare them.

I never really use headphones for gaming, but when I was researching and looking into 555 vs. AD700, the AD700s were generally given the edge for gaming.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
So I'm thinking of upgrading my ATH-ES7's..

To the ATH-ESW9

I really like the sound of my ES7's but lack of padding on the headband always gives me a sore head. I can't stand it anymore lol. I noticed the ESW9 has padding, so it should solve that problem, while also giving be better sound.

How is the sound of them though? I listen mainly to "rock" music I guess you could generally call it (bands like Brand New, Muse, Green Day, Coldplay, Radiohead, The Living End, Blink 182, Say Anything etc), and also some hip-hop like Kanye/Outkast every now and then.
I prefer my headphones to be a tad on a bassy side, but not overpowering. I really dislike harsh trebles of course, so the smoother the better. It's hard to describe- I like bright guitars/vocals, but I also want them to have a deep, punchy back-end to them. Nice and tight, where I can feel the kick of drums. A bigger soundstage is always a plus too but I understand there'll be a limit when it comes to closed headphones.

Pretty much, if they sound like an improved version of the ES7's, then I'll be happy. I love the look of them also!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I run them through only an iPhone. I considered getting one of those small FiiO amps but I'm not sure how much it would actually improve the sound.

I love the sound and looks of my ESW9 but the build quality is absolute shit! The hinges will break! Just the act of placing the headphones on will break the hinge at some point. I'm returning mine for repair this weekend for the second time in 3 months. I'ts so sad because I love the way these headphones sound. I'm actually thinking of buying DT 880 or the M50 because I'm afraid my esw9s will break after the warranty expires.

Kraftwerk

I'm looking for the most compact/minimal wireless headphone I can find. I just want something nice and sleek, if there is one out there.

I never really use headphones for gaming, but when I was researching and looking into 555 vs. AD700, the AD700s were generally given the edge for gaming.

You are right, tons of the reviews that compare the two on amazon favor the AD700s. I will be sticking with these. Thanks for helping me put this decision to rest.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Has anyone compared the HD555/558 to the AD700s for gaming and soundstage?

Might just have to order the HD558s and compare them.

What kind of gaming are you using them for? Because the reason AD700s get recommended a lot for gaming is for competitive gaming. Games like CoD where hearing footsteps give you a big advantage, the AD700s are perfect since the lack of bass and huge soundstage allow you to hear the small details and hear where enemy footsteps are coming from with a bit more clarity since the bass doesn't muddle the mid range at all.

Honestly, if you aren't using the headphones for the competitive advantage, then i'd say go with whatever suits your taste. Personally the HD 555s to me are good enough for competitive gaming, and are fun overall headphones for all types of games.

HiResDes

Okay I'm over these...Selling my DT770's 250 OHM for 110 shipped. Will ship anywhere to the continental U.S. It's just easier and I have more experience doing it. They're great headphones, but you need a decent amp to drive them. Tube amps works best.

LCfiner

Any chance of keeping it under $300? D:

I don’t know of many hybrid amps, to be honest. I don’t read about them often.

My personal suggestion for pricing under 300 dollars is to stick with solid sate. But maybe someone will have a suggestion for a hybrid that has got good reviews.

HiResDes

What are the advantage of a hybrid, are they easier to maintain than sole tube amps? Seems a bit like a waste to me. I'd just get a Little Dot MKIII and call it a day

I don&#8217;t know of many hybrid amps, to be honest. I don&#8217;t read about them often.

My personal suggestion for pricing under 300 dollars is to stick with solid sate. But maybe someone will have a suggestion for a hybrid that has got good reviews.

Might just have to grab the matrix m-stage that everyone gives good reviews about when pairing it with the akg's.

Or any tube amp recommendations too. Never had anything with a tube and wanted to give one a whirl. I did order an Indeed/Bravo little hybrid tube amp to try out since it was cheap about a week ago, but supposedly it won't be here till next month.

LCfiner

I did a real quick search for curiosity and it turns out the &#8220;starving student&#8221; DIY amp is a hybrid. (I had previously thought it was all tube)

http://www.pmillett.com/starving.htm

there are probably places that build them for you for under 300 if you want one. (I would still recommend a solid state, though)

omgkitty

Might just have to grab the matrix m-stage that everyone gives good reviews about when pairing it with the akg's.

Or any tube amp recommendations too. Never had anything with a tube and wanted to give one a whirl. I did order an Indeed/Bravo little hybrid tube amp to try out since it was cheap about a week ago, but supposedly it won't be here till next month.

I did find this.

I think the indeed/bravo tube amp should be about the same as the starving student one if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll start researching up on them.

Alivor

I've had my TMA-1s for about half a year at this point, and I still love them just as much as when I first got them. They sound much better from my laptop than my iPod. I know that I should have an amp, but I still think that they sound really good un-amped.

OK, played some ODST last night with the AD700's (ampless) and they are starting to grow on me. Still thinking of getting the HD 558's to compare.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
OK, played some ODST last night with the AD700's (ampless) and they are starting to grow on me. Still thinking of getting the HD 558's to compare.

Did you read my response in this page about my thoughts on the AD700s?

IMO you are just wasting money by buying hd558s to compare, either keep them or return and get the 558s. AD700s get recommended because of the clarity, soundstage of hearing where footsteps are coming from at the cost of bass impact etc.

Did you read my response in this page about my thoughts on the AD700s?

IMO you are just wasting money by buying hd558s to compare, either keep them or return and get the 558s. AD700s get recommended because of the clarity, soundstage of hearing where footsteps are coming from at the cost of bass impact etc.

I don't play multiplayer online for FPSs, but I do want to create a surround sound like experience while using headphones for gaming. It was why I bought the 5.8 mixamp from Astro.

I was thinking that the HD558 would be a nice middle ground. Good soundstage and some more bass.

Top Bottom