• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Nightz

I've been using them for 3 weeks now. Love them. Although it won't please the people who only listen to hip-hop.

Nothing really stood out the first minute I had them on. But that's what these cans are all about. Neutral, natural sound with just enough warmth to it. First thing I noticed was how clear the vocals were. For the money, these cans are definitely awesome.

How's the fit and comfort? I'm ready to pull the trigger, but I've seen some reviews saying that comfort could be better.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Hey guys, I have a pair of EWS9 that keep breaking at the hinge. Anyone know of headphones that have a similar sound?

My Fiio E7 just showed up.

e5f40d47.jpg

Having the bass boost makes a huge difference with the AD700's! Any recommended settings for the Fiio E7 when used with the AD700s?

What volume range should I keep it in for best quality?

dmshaposv

How do you like them? :)

Considering I skipped on the much neutral sounding Shure SRH840s, in comparison the TMA's are instantly fun as hell without an amp. The mids are great, vocals sound great and bass is specatcularly punchy. Quite similar to Sennheiser HD-25 II (a friend has a pair so I cross-checked). Also not as dark or "muffled" as someone told me earlier on - but then I don't claim to be a hardcore audiophile so I don't know how they come to their conclusions.

Great for on the go (quite light) and with your mp3 player of choice, really sexy build quality (many people have asked me about them, so they definitely make you "stand out" for sure).

I am using them for some video recording stuff and surprisingly the clean mids helped me with getting some good n' clean voiceover work. Sound leakage is also not bad, but not the best either.

Nopren

I'm rolling with HD 25-II hooked up to a Cowon J3, so I really don't need an amp for anything, but by god that FiiO looks sexy.

Doc Holliday

The build quality of ESW9 is bad? That's a shame.

yep, the hinge keeps breaking from everyday use. i love the sound, but I hate being scared of putting on them because of how delicate that hinge is. My warranty runs out in a month so I picked up the m50s just in case.

shit, while playing Halo ODST I was getting some serious static from the Fiio e7. Anyone have issues like this before? It seems if I bump it a little it fixes it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Well I broke my pair of Creative Aurvana Live last week and while I loved them to death I decided to try something different in the land of the budget (read ~$50) semi-portable cans that I use on the go, mainly for something sturdy because I've gone through 2 CALs in a little more than 3 years, they aren't exactly the most sturdy things in the world

Picked up a pair CAD MH310 thanks to the praise from Karish a couple of weeks ago and talking about it a bit with my pal Geneijin.

My pair arrived and these things absolutely rock out of the box. Can honestly say out of the box they sound better than my CAL which I loved. The clamp on these things is ridiculously tight but that'll loosen up a bit over time so I'm not too worried. They are a little more bulkier than I was expecting but since I throw these into my bag anyway I kind of prefer it.

RTS83

Well I bought my AKG K702's some companions this week:

-Fiio E7 for portable Amping

-Fiio E9 for combining with the E7 and driving them at home.

-Fiio L9 LOD to connect my ipod to the E7.

Long and short = the sound is amazing. I had burned them in quite a bit and thought they sounded good with my E5 out of my laptop card but with the DAC in place...yup...However, these are very much open cans and I needed something that would allow me to listen in the library.

Hopped on Ebay and landed a pristine set of Audio Technica ATH-A950LTD's for $170 shipped (guy included a 1st gen 8gb ipod touch which I sold for $70 - headphones were about $100). Cans had been burnt in for about 20 hours and then went unused since (according to him.)

Much more of a "fun" sound and MUCH easier to drive than are the K702's. Much more punch in the base department but my .FLAC recordings lose some of their luster (to be expected I'd say.)

All in all though? I have the K702's now hooked permanently into the E9, the A950's ready to go out with me and to the library...my audio life is pretty good :)

dazed808

shit, while playing Halo ODST I was getting some serious static from the Fiio e7. Anyone have issues like this before? It seems if I bump it a little it fixes it.

As much as I love the Fiio range for the sound quality they give for budget price the build quality is patchy to say the least. My og e9 & e7 are still going strong after 14 months continuous use but I had to send back 2 a1 amps because of loose connections causing constant static and my 2nd e9 has the same issue on the 3.5mm input but as I don't use that I didn't bother swapping it out.

As much as I love the Fiio range for the sound quality they give for budget price the build quality is patchy to say the least. My og e9 & e7 are still going strong after 14 months continuous use but I had to send back 2 a1 amps because of loose connections causing constant static and my 2nd e9 has the same issue on the 3.5mm input but as I don't use that I didn't bother swapping it out.

Turns out it was the headphone cable extension I was using, not the Fiio. Kind of a relief.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yeah, the 400's really came out of left field. The closed ortho suggestion may come to light someday though. Fang (such an awesme name haha) was in the thread saying that although the 400 sound wasn't to his taste, he wanted to develop a pair of phones that catered more to a western audiophile taste because he had to develop things that would sell, so...
I can't be the only one who was shocked by his honesty there. He pretty much said he doesn't like how it sounds, which then made me wonder if I would like it, because everything I've bought that he tuned to "his" taste (RE2, RE-ZERO, HE-300) has been lovely to my ears.

I really don't like when creators go outside of themselves to try and please another perceived market. But I guess Fang has to pay the bills. I just hope the 400s don't blow up then he sells me out completely.

How's the fit and comfort? I'm ready to pull the trigger, but I've seen some reviews saying that comfort could be better.

I have no issue with the comfort. However if you have a big head (say, if you're the type of person that can't find a cap that fits your head) then I think it would get uncomfortable after a long period of time. Wearing them as I type now and I think they're totally fine. They don't sit on too tightly.

Isolation is great with these cans btw. And the build quality, while not necessarily impressive, is good. They don't feel cheap at all.

RTS83

Dammit, Audio Technica's 3-D wing design is the be-all-end-all of headphone comfort. That's going to make switching back and forth rather difficult...however if I decide to continue my little collection I will look to their top of the line without hesitation. The 950's can hardly be felt on my head at all.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I'll say that I have the TMA-1's and I love them.
Sounds good to me.

Considering I skipped on the much neutral sounding Shure SRH840s, in comparison the TMA's are instantly fun as hell without an amp. The mids are great, vocals sound great and bass is specatcularly punchy. Quite similar to Sennheiser HD-25 II (a friend has a pair so I cross-checked). Also not as dark or "muffled" as someone told me earlier on - but then I don't claim to be a hardcore audiophile so I don't know how they come to their conclusions.

Great for on the go (quite light) and with your mp3 player of choice, really sexy build quality (many people have asked me about them, so they definitely make you "stand out" for sure).

I am using them for some video recording stuff and surprisingly the clean mids helped me with getting some good n' clean voiceover work. Sound leakage is also not bad, but not the best either.

I appreciate the detail impression. I'm definitely ordering these tomorrow morning. I get that these don't need an amp. But I just read a review that said they really shine with one. Would you recommend an amp too? If so, which?

I'm new to high quality audio, but I can't wait to jump in. Already have a playlist of FLAC files waiting. Lucky for me, honeycomb (android) supports flac, so I can use my tablet as media player.

omgkitty

Sounds good to me.

I appreciate the detail impression. I'm definitely ordering these tomorrow morning. I get that these don't need an amp. But I just read a review that said they really shine with one. Would you recommend an amp too? If so, which?

I'm new to high quality audio, but I can't wait to jump in. Already have a playlist of FLAC files waiting. Lucky for me, honeycomb (android) supports flac, so I can use my tablet as media player.

Haha that is the same review I read before I bought mine. They sound wonderful unamped. I just recently got an Fiio e10 and it does make them sound better giving them more punch, but these are not headphones that sound like crap until you amp them. If you buy them and are just running them through your computer or phone or whatever, you will be happy. Plus, if you are into some of the same genre's I am (mostly electronic, dance, indie rock.....things like that) then these are the headphones for you.

Nightz

I have no issue with the comfort. However if you have a big head (say, if you're the type of person that can't find a cap that fits your head) then I think it would get uncomfortable after a long period of time. Wearing them as I type now and I think they're totally fine. They don't sit on too tightly.

Isolation is great with these cans btw. And the build quality, while not necessarily impressive, is good. They don't feel cheap at all.

Thanks. I don't have a big head (or at least I don't think I do) so I think I should be ok. Ordered them earlier and they should be here on Saturday.

Chorazin

Nice! Cant wait till they here!

You're gonna love them, they're awesome for the price! Comfy, relatively light, and built like a tank. Did you get an amp to go with them? If not, I recommend looking into one. It doesn't need it, but I think they sound better with the amp.

omgkitty

Yeah I know how good they are and so on I just make a big deal about spending £100+ on things :p

Went to buy them and they are back up to £170 so I shant be buying them anytime soon. Probably for the best atleast until I'm into febuary/new pay check!

Oh man I just did the conversion rate and that's around $260 here. That's kind of shitty considering I got mine for around $170. If you get the chance to get them on sale again I would go for it, but if you're not hurting for some I would say wait at that price. Also I know you're a Drive fan so you may want to check this out.

Doc Holliday

You're gonna love them, they're awesome for the price! Comfy, relatively light, and built like a tank. Did you get an amp to go with them? If not, I recommend looking into one. It doesn't need it, but I think they sound better with the amp.

Yep! i have my little altoid box of joy with me at work :D

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
tma-1, ordered :O

I just know the wait will be killing me. 2-3 Days to process shipping alone, and its the weekend. :/

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
As someone who likes collecting packages, TMA's box is one of my prized possesions, very funky yet classy. Pity I've not found much use of the spare foam pads, though.

Is your TMA box as hard to slide open as mine though? The other day I and a friend were having a good laugh trying to see who could get it first. We both failed after much effort.

I can't remember how I got it the first day. I would have gone insane the headphones had actually been in the box when we were messing around with it.

omgkitty

Is your TMA box as hard to slide open as mine though? The other day I and a friend were having a good laugh trying to see who could get it first. We both failed after much effort.

I can't remember how I got it the first day. I would have gone insane the headphones had actually been in the box when we were messing around with it.

I had the same issue. It just doesn't want to slide straight off. Dat sexy box:

AIAIAI6101HP-2-Packaging.jpg

Oh man I just did the conversion rate and that's around $260 here. That's kind of shitty considering I got mine for around $170. If you get the chance to get them on sale again I would go for it, but if you're not hurting for some I would say wait at that price. Also I know you're a Drive fan so you may want to check this out.

Yeah its mental. Not only for the fact they are from bloody Europe so you would think the USA would pay a premium but nope. I dont really understand why they are cheaper for you. Even from AIAIAI they are £180 odd converted from whatever crazy currency denmark use!

omgkitty

Yeah its mental. Not only for the fact they are from bloody Europe so you would think the USA would pay a premium but nope. I dont really understand why they are cheaper for you. Even from AIAIAI they are £180 odd converted from whatever crazy currency denmark use!

Stupid Danish Krone's! 1 krone is like 17 cents here. That seems like a dumb conversion to me.

Does anyone own the HD558s? If so how are they for gaming? I like my AD700s, but they feel like they are going to slide right off my head. I want something more secure.

I can't be the only one who was shocked by his honesty there. He pretty much said he doesn't like how it sounds, which then made me wonder if I would like it, because everything I've bought that he tuned to "his" taste (RE2, RE-ZERO, HE-300) has been lovely to my ears.

I really don't like when creators go outside of themselves to try and please another perceived market. But I guess Fang has to pay the bills. I just hope the 400s don't blow up then he sells me out completely.

Yeah, I agree on being taken aback by his bluntness, but I think to myself... Since when has HiFiMan ever put out a bad product? Some of their phones might not be to the taste of others, but they are all objectively more than capable phones that perform at, or above their price points. I think that the way most of his phones are tuned are pretty telling of his music tastes. He's thinking Western tastes lean more towards pop/rock/hip hop, so the bass and treble emphasis makes sense. I'm not expecting a V or U shaped phone by any means, but a phone that sounded like an RE262 with more bass quantity/impact would be amazing

So, never did buy any headphones I was thinking about a few months ago. But got a $100 bonus so willing to spend around $100-$150 now for a nice pair. Just going to be using them for at work and watching movies and traveling. Nothing crazy heavy duty, but comfort is a big plus since I'll have them on a lot.

Thinking about Sennheiser HD555, Koss PRODJ 100 or Grado SR80. Any others I should be aware of in that style?

luiztfc

I bought an AD700 and I'm wondering what would be the best way to power them. It hasn't arrived (might take a month yet), but I'm debating if I should buy a Fiio 7 or just use my pc motherboard as my pc will be my only source. I have a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 and it has a spdif output (and apparently, it uses Realtek ALC889 drivers), but I don't know if this will be enough.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The M50's are on sale at Amazon for $130 right now. I'm thinking about biting >_>

I already own a pair of ATH-AD700's and Sennheiser HD598. I've hardly used them at all but I'm looking for I guess something a bit less bulky than the AD700's to use with my handhelds.

Top Bottom