• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Man

My iPhone earbuds have started breaking.
I need new ones for my jogging sessions. Any suggestions for below $200?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Quoting for new page :)

Just saw that I can buy Klipsch Image X10i for under $200. Should I?

I had them before and loved the sound and fit, but I fucking lost them! Seems like a good deal, just need someone to push me over the edge...

Recon

Banned
I got a pair of Studio Beats for Christmas but returned them because of all I've heard regarding them being overpriced. I'm looking at other headphones that are cheaper than the Beats but just as good or better. Do the M50's compete? They're only $136 on Amazon right now. I mostly listen to rap music, but mix in all other genres. Also would be used for watching movies/shows on my computer.

Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 are great. They are similar to the ATH-M50s but with a lot more emphasis on bass.

Should be a good place to ask.

Anyone know of any reasonably priced AV receivers that support Dolby Headphone?

Anyone have any opinions on how Yamaha's "Silent Cinema" compares to Dolby Headphone?

ty_hot

i've been using my android phone with my Sennheiser HD201 (yes, i am new to this), but I think it doesn't sound as loud as it should. I was thinking about buying an amplifier, like a Fiio E5, do you think i am going to get good results with this? I watched a review about the E3 and it distorts a lot on louder volumes and using AAA battery sounds like i am back to 1990. Is there any better option on this price range? (15-20 obamas)

In any case, what media players do you use? I've heard Sansa players have great audio quality, is it true? What about their price, reasonable? In general I use my headphone only at home or in the bus (when traveling, not small distances) so size doesnt really matter.

Alucrid

Banned
i've been using my android phone with my Sennheiser HD201 (yes, i am new to this), but I think it doesn't sound as loud as it should. I was thinking about buying an amplifier, like a Fiio E5, do you think i am going to get good results with this? I watched a review about the E3 and it distorts a lot on louder volumes and using AAA battery sounds like i am back to 1990. Is there any better option on this price range? (15-20 obamas)

In any case, what media players do you use? I've heard Sansa players have great audio quality, is it true? What about their price, reasonable? In general I use my headphone only at home or in the bus (when traveling, not small distances) so size doesnt really matter.

I wouldn't bother personally.

HiResDes

E6 duh

JackEtc

So I've had my AD700's for almost a month now, and I really love them. I got a 2.1 set for my computer for Christmas (nothing special) and had been using only them for a few days, and just put back on the headphones again, and damn they sound great.

I only have one gripe about them, though. I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but holy shit, the "wings" on them or whatever make my hair look fucking STUPID. It looks like I have a little mohawk on top of my full head of hair, because the sides of my hair are pressed down by the wings and the center isn't. I can't wear them if I plan on going out within the next few hours, or late at night after I take a shower so that my hair won't look like it in the morning for school, which sort of blows.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
E6 is almost 30 on ebay. And it's LED might bother me, isn't there a way to turn it off?

Anything half-decent amp you buy is going to cost as much or more than a set of headphones that cheap.

It's a good investment for the next pair you buy, because you can only go up from the HD201.

Quoting for new page :)

I bought those Klipsch like a month ago as an upgrade from my now dead (RIP) S4 and I have to say I love them!!! Definitely less punchy than the S4 but clearly more analytic and cristaline, aaaaand, I can't stress enough how comfortable they are.

That and their small size makes them perfect. I'll be more careful with the cable, though, cause that's what killed my S4.

So, do it!!!!! :)

omgkitty

I know a lot of the guys in here post in the "What are you listening too thread?" so I was wondering if there is currently a January thread? I have not seen one at all and it's not there when I search.

Before I knew better, I bought a pair of skull candy headphones and they broke after like 2 months. I spent $40 and I was pissed lol. I really miss how much better headphones sound compared to earbuds. I listen to music very often on my iPod and I also want headphones I could use instead of my PC speakers. Not sure how much I want to spend.. maybe $150 at most. It'd be cool if they looked nice too :p any recommendations? I know very little about good headphones.

HiResDes

Earphones can sound damn good my friend, Skullcandy's products aren't really up to par to the better budget offerings than can be had.

If you're looking for a cheap stop-gap until you find the headphones you're looking for., I recommend the JVC Marshmellow ones. They have pretty good sound, are like 10 bucks (5 for some models on amazon), are durable and fit nice and comfortably thanks the the memory foam tips.

omgkitty

Anyone have any tips for keeping foam tips clean? I've only had mine about a week now and they already have a little bit of wax on them that doesn't seem to want to come off. Is this just something that happens or can I clean them off?

omgkitty

aiaiai_capital_banner_01_4392.jpeg

Found a few more colors of the new Capital headphones. They don't have any other pictures besides this bumper image from their site.

Lanbeast

So I bought some shitty 10 dollar headphones a little while back and the left side came apart. Looking to snag another pair but was looking sub $30ish. I listen to a lot of podcasts and some music, but I've never owned a nice set of headphones so I'm not too picky.

Saw the Brainwavz M2 & M3 listed on the OP, but the M1's are only $40 on Amazon. I wear them in the office at a desk and on the bus to and from work. Would these be a good buy or could you guys suggest something better, keeping in mind that cheaper is a good thing.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Damn I wish I could have those Studios, but two different pairs of TMA-1s would be so redundant....

Currently I'm running on Sennheiser HD 380 Pro with a NuForce uDAC 2 headphone amp. I'm wondering what the next step up for me is. My absolute #1 requirement is they must not leak sound. This means any open-air headphones are basically out of the question, no matter how awesome they are. And not all closed air headphones can stop sound leak at high volumes either.

The Sennheiser HD 380 Pros I'm using are currently phenomenal in this regard, I can practically deafen myself and people 3 feet from me have no Idea I'm even listening to anything.

So what would be a good step up on the cans that would provide better, richer sound while still keeping sound leakage to an absolute minimum?

3N16MA

Banned
I'm liking the Monster Turbine Pro Copper so far but I am really missing the remote/mic. I feel lost without it as I use it all the time and pulling my iPhone out every time I want to do something is annoying. At $95 I feel like keeping them around just because it's such a great deal but without the remote/mic I doubt it's going to come along on my commute. Also as much as I try I never feel 100% comfortable with IEM's. I would love to find the Sennheiser IE 8i for a great price since they seem like the perfect IEM for me.

I think I'm going to head up to Best Buy just to check out some headphones. Any specific brands I should keep an eye out for? or even specific models? I listen to a lot of electronic and rap, so good bass is important to me, but headphones with good sound overall would be excellent.

Ashhong

Fuck.........might have to think about selling my M50s :O

I think I'm going to head up to Best Buy just to check out some headphones. Any specific brands I should keep an eye out for? or even specific models? I listen to a lot of electronic and rap, so good bass is important to me, but headphones with good sound overall would be excellent.

I dont think Best Buy is going to have very much in terms of headphones that would be recommended here. I predict there only being Beats and wireless headphones...is there at least a Guitar Center around you?

So I'm pretty excited; I was at Guitar Center today looking around at headphones and saw the AKG k240s, and had a $20 off $99 coupon, so I ended up getting them. I figured for an entry level set, that was a good price to pay and would really get me on the track to higher quality ones someday. Man, they are COMFORTABLE. I was used to this shitty pair of on-ear Sony that really hurt my ears (I wear thicker plastic glasses) and these are just a dream. They are sounding really great right now, but from my understanding they should be amplified. Would the FiiO E10 be a decent enough amp to run these through? Eventually I'd like to get a Little Dot MkII or something, but for now I am trying to keep prices low. Also, burn-in, any suggestions there?

I'm really excited to get into this scene. My wife put them on and listened to a few tunes and understood what I meant when I said "once you hear music through a good set of headphones, it's different..." Anyway, any suggestions for a newcomer would be greatly appreciated.

SUPREME1

Banned
I've been itching to purchase a decent pair of headphones and have my eyes on this set here:

Audio-Technica ATH-M30

41ZMYEEwz%2BL.jpg

I can't spend the kind of money that will get you some of the nice headphones being posted in this thread... but I also don't want to spend money on a shitty pair of headphones.

What say you Soon-to-deaf-GAF?

Alternatively, I was keeping an eye on are these:

Sennheiser HD448

41ieNeftbuL._SS400_.jpg

These were actually my number one choice but the price went up by like $20 from the last time I saw them and I no longer feel I'd be getting the best bag for my buck.

The top pair is $30 cheaper than the bottom pair right now. Unless the bottom pair is by far a nicer pair of cans, I'll go for the top pair.

Again, what do you guys think?

LCfiner

So I'm pretty excited; I was at Guitar Center today looking around at headphones and saw the AKG k240s, and had a $20 off $99 coupon, so I ended up getting them. I figured for an entry level set, that was a good price to pay and would really get me on the track to higher quality ones someday. Man, they are COMFORTABLE. I was used to this shitty pair of on-ear Sony that really hurt my ears (I wear thicker plastic glasses) and these are just a dream. They are sounding really great right now, but from my understanding they should be amplified. Would the FiiO E10 be a decent enough amp to run these through? Eventually I'd like to get a Little Dot MkII or something, but for now I am trying to keep prices low. Also, burn-in, any suggestions there?

I'm really excited to get into this scene. My wife put them on and listened to a few tunes and understood what I meant when I said "once you hear music through a good set of headphones, it's different..." Anyway, any suggestions for a newcomer would be greatly appreciated.

1. Don’t worry about burn in and go out of your way to do it. just listen and enjoy your cans. Burn in effect is likely to be very minor. see: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break (and my own experiences jive with this)

2. The Fiio E10 is a quality little DAC/amp. I picked one up and it packs quite a bit of power and is very small and unobtrusive. I’d say it’s a very good place to start if you want to bypass your computer’s internal sound processing and don’t want to spend over $100.

jdavid459

M50s don't have that subwoofer Bass you're looking for, the HFI-580 would be a good pick if you can get over the clamping force or the M-Audio Q40, but you're gonna need at least a small amp with the Q40.

Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 are great. They are similar to the ATH-M50s but with a lot more emphasis on bass.

Thanks guys, going to check into these options further. I went to a local guitar center that sells audio gear and the guy working was really hyping up/trying to sell me on this pair right here, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Beyerdy...losed-Studio-Headphones-102512019-i1126937.gc . Would these be another pair to consider? Thanks for helping me out, its hard to buy expensive headphones when stores don't have them on display and available to try.

HiResDes

Thanks guys, going to check into these options further. I went to a local guitar center that sells audio gear and the guy working was really hyping up/trying to sell me on this pair right here, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Beyerdy...losed-Studio-Headphones-102512019-i1126937.gc . Would these be another pair to consider? Thanks for helping me out, its hard to buy expensive headphones when stores don't have them on display and available to try.

Yeah, but you're gonna wanna amp those signficantly.

ryan-ts

Looking to spend up to $250 on a new pair of headphones, GAF. You guys know whats up so I thought I'd ask for some recommendations.

I'd like pair that has a warm sound, closed, decent sound stage, amp not a necessity and not ridiculous looking. I'm in no hurry to buy them though, so if there's a pair that usually drops to 250 or so on Amazon but doesn't have that price right now, I can wait.

HiResDes

Looking to spend up to $250 on a new pair of headphones, GAF. You guys know whats up so I thought I'd ask for some recommendations.

I'd like pair that has a warm sound, closed, decent sound stage, amp not a necessity and not ridiculous looking. I'm in no hurry to buy them though, so if there's a pair that usually drops to 250 or so on Amazon but doesn't have that price right now, I can wait.

GMP 8.35

Fjordson

I got a pair of Studio Beats for Christmas but returned them because of all I've heard regarding them being overpriced.
I'm in a similar situation. Got the iBeats from my wife for Christmas. I'm always grateful for new earphones and I actually think they sound great, but every other review I read online is basically "WORST PRODUCT EVER! STOPPED WORKING AFTER THREE DAYS!". I'm babying the things, but it's making me insanely paranoid. Almost want to preemptively return them before they do break :lol

Top Bottom