• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Zeth

Any of you guys have the klipsch s4i? I'm thinking about buying T-100 comply foam tips, cause the silicon tips that come with the s4i's are way too uncomfortable.

Should I do this?

I have them, but don't mind the tips, so I can't really help.

I'm slowly being driven insane by YouTube comments/arguments on every single audio-related video being about the fucking Beats. It's not healthy.

I love watching videos of people showing the "best" Beats fakes that sell for $100+ and "look just as good". Makes my blood boil.

fat pat

Any of you guys have the klipsch s4i? I'm thinking about buying T-100 comply foam tips, cause the silicon tips that come with the s4i's are way too uncomfortable.

Should I do this?

get them right away. They do wonders for those. Get the tx-100, with the earwax guard. 5 more bucks, but nothing will get jammed down the tube.

I have them, but don't mind the tips, so I can't really help.

I'm slowly being driven insane by YouTube comments/arguments on every single audio-related video being about the fucking Beats. It's not healthy.

I love watching videos of people showing the "best" Beats fakes that sell for $100+ and "look just as good". Makes my blood boil.

Hahaha, I was actually on Head Fi the other day and noticed a thread labeled, "Do you ever get called out for not having Beats?"

Fuckin thread was like 228 pages hahaha

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
People are so damn lazy, just throwing out a price without saying anything specific such as genre they listen to or open/closed. Read the OP, it lists everything and majority of the links have reviews

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
People are so damn lazy, just throwing out a price without saying anything specific such as genre they listen to or open/closed. Read the OP, it lists everything and majority of the links have reviews

I looked and couldn't find what I needed and want advice from people who actually have them on here. Not some random feedback. It's not asking a lot and I certainly didn't come asking without already doing some research.

I looked and couldn't find what I needed and want advice from people who actually have them on here. Not some random feedback. It's not asking a lot and I certainly didn't come asking without already doing some research.

Are you in need of on-ear or over the ear? Open headphones or closed? The more specific you get, the easier it is to narrow a pair down for you.

If you're going for closed, the Superlux in the OP have been recommended by many. If you want something open, I'd say SR60's from Grado are nice, but $10 outside your price range.

LiquidMetal14

You see, I would rather have something bigger since bud headphones have always felt less.....crisp in terms of sound. So I guess over the ear would be my choice.

LiquidMetal14

Thanks for the responses. Would noise cancellation be better with over the ear or bud headphones? I used to have a pair that was over the ear and wrapped on the back of your head and they worked ok. I would almost assume cancellation of some sort would be the norm by now no?

The Sony's have always been recommended. If you go with the Superlux, I'll quote the ebay description (which make them sound a little better than they might be):
As for the sound image presented by these headphones, the HD662 gives you the feeling of actually being on stage with the artists while the HD662F makes you feel as if you sitting on the front row and the HD662B puts you in the middle of the concert hall.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170711110606+
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superlux-HD...951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a14ca3e37
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superlux-HD...A%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=21&pmod=170608458414&ps=54

Thanks for the responses. Would noise cancellation be better with over the ear or bud headphones? I used to have a pair that was over the ear and wrapped on the back of your head and they worked ok. I would almost assume cancellation of some sort would be the norm by now no?

Most iem's that are "noise canceling" in your price range just pressurize your ear keeping sound out. Over the ear's will generally have better noise control.

LiquidMetal14

Classical, many types of game music, 80's

I want over the ear unless there's a really comfortable and great sounding in ear set.

Big rig, are them the cheapest place for that? Or is the regular price about the same on other retailers? Sounds tempting pending opinions on the SQ.

Ashhong

There are both open and closed over the ear headphones, as described in the OP you said you looked at. It's a very important aspect to which headphones you would want.

LiquidMetal14

I'm clearly not an expert. I looked at almost all the links in the OP and read parts and other forums. I want opinions from people who have them. I got some links up above so it's a good barometer for me.

I will sleep on it and look some more tomorrow.

There are both open and closed over the ear headphones, as described in the OP you said you looked at. It's a very important aspect to which headphones you would want.

If he's looking at noise canceling, then I think he wants over the ear. They're generally bigger, and don't leak sound like open cans.

However, open headphones will give you a better soundstage (like you're near the actual instruments playing).

If they're for home use, don't worry about cable length, but if you want to go out with these, get a pair with a shorter cord or with a removable cord. This is all stuff that will affect your decision. Des is better at explaining it than I am.

Ashhong

I feel like I'm saying the wrong thing because it doesn't seem like people are following...where is hires when you need him?

I feel like I'm saying the wrong thing because it doesn't seem like people are following...where is hires when you need him?

It's late where I am. Chalk it up to exhaustion. The seed has been planted, he'll figure some shit out tomorrow and will have a better idea of what he wants.

see5harp

I'm sure a bunch of people here have the Sennheiser ie8's. I have rocked the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's since launch year and they've served me well. Finally just got sick of how often the wire comes out and will be spending some tax refund to upgrade. I would go with over ear but I really need a daily use pair that I can bring into work and not look like a complete asshole. Has anyone made the jump from Triple Fi to IE8? Is it a big jump in terms of sound quality?

panty

I've been thinking about new headphones/sets recently. I have a Koss "gaming" headset which I guess is alright but I want something better.. Could you guys help me with these?

These have caught my eye, BEYERDYNAMIC MMX-300 or Sennheiser PC350. It should have a built-in mic and 3.5mm connectors. These two don't need amps am I right?

Arcteryx

I'm sure a bunch of people here have the Sennheiser ie8's. I have rocked the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's since launch year and they've served me well. Finally just got sick of how often the wire comes out and will be spending some tax refund to upgrade. I would go with over ear but I really need a daily use pair that I can bring into work and not look like a complete asshole. Has anyone made the jump from Triple Fi to IE8? Is it a big jump in terms of sound quality?

What gives you the impression that would happen? haha

You should read up on the sound signature of the ie8 to see if it's something you'd be interested in. It isn't an upgrade so much as it is a sidegrade. You'll be trading in separation, clarity, and speed for much bigger soundstage, better instrument timbre/tonality, bass extension/slam. Whether those variables are ones you'd be interested in, is a question only you can answer. I would personally spring for the FX700 before thinking of the ie8, as I personally think the ie8 isn't that great of a performance/value proposition. It'd be a great buy at $200, but at $300? Naaaaaahhhhhh

see5harp

What gives you the impression that would happen? haha

I spend nearly my entire day with my headphones on. In an office environment I can't be lugging around huge full size cans to and from meetings. I also need to be somewhat discrete. The amount of music and breadth of genre would probably best be suited with full size cans but it's just incompatible with the type of listening I do on a daily basis. These headphones need to be small and mobile. When I get home I probably wouldn't need cans as I have a great home theater and no roommates ;).

see5harp

You should read up on the sound signature of the ie8 to see if it's something you'd be interested in. It isn't an upgrade so much as it is a sidegrade. You'll be trading in separation, clarity, and speed for much bigger soundstage, better instrument timbre/tonality, bass extension/slam. Whether those variables are ones you'd be interested in, is a question only you can answer. I would personally spring for the FX700 before thinking of the ie8, as I personally think the ie8 isn't that great of a performance/value proposition. It'd be a great buy at $200, but at $300? Naaaaaahhhhhh

You know I really like the Ultimate Ears. The amount of bass I've gotten over the years has been perfectly fine because I'm usually sitting at work and don't need to be completely rattled. Another option I have is to maybe just go cheap on the buds (like those Sennheiser fitness branded ones that are waterproof) and go a little crazy on full cans like the Senn 650 or 600. I'm not sure I'm sold on those wooden JVC buds. I like the look of them and most impressions seem to be glowing in terms of overall sound, but I'd have to hear them for myself first.

Arcteryx

I spend nearly my entire day with my headphones on. In an office environment I can't be lugging around huge full size cans to and from meetings. I also need to be somewhat discrete. The amount of music and breadth of genre would probably best be suited with full size cans but it's just incompatible with the type of listening I do on a daily basis. These headphones need to be small and mobile. When I get home I probably wouldn't need cans as I have a great home theater and no roommates ;).

oh I see. haha I thought you were talking about over-ear iems making you look like an asshole

I was puzzled :)

LiquidMetal14

Ok I read more of the OP but honestly, I think I've settled for something closed and I don't care if it's one of those that hugs behind your head or over but judging by the descriptions, that's what I would want.

Anything up to 80 dollars will work. I hate earbud style so skip anything like that. While I'm asking, what's the cheapest place to buy a pair?

Checked out the Samson SR850. Sounds really good for the price. Is that the best value or is there something slightly better for a little more? I can spend up to 80 but these here are already looking really good for the price.

Fou-Lu

I'm thinking ATH-M50s are looking the best in the price range, so I'll probably be pulling the trigger on ordering them soon unless someone has any reason why I shouldn't. It just kind of hurts that I've seen people getting them for like $100 and the best I can find is $160 that ships to Canada.

MrBig

I'm thinking ATH-M50s are looking the best in the price range, so I'll probably be pulling the trigger on ordering them soon unless someone has any reason why I shouldn't. It just kind of hurts that I've seen people getting them for like $100 and the best I can find is $160 that ships to Canada.

I got mine for $110 and have absolutely no regrets.
The cord on mine got strained in some way after a year of use (I had accidentally fallen asleep with them on and have no idea what happened, but they weren't on my head in the morning) and AT replaced the cord and the earpads on it for free under warranty.
They're quite comfortable but I have experienced irritation with them occasional after 8+ hour sessions, but not during normal use.
Sound good through my Zune HD and Android tablet but while at home I have to route sound to them through my reciever/amp because I have a DTR laptop with no dedicated soundcard and they sound absolutely terrible on it. I don't know if that holds true for all laptops or if mine is abnormal.

pax217

So I currently own a pair of Grado SR80s and have had and loved them for years...

...I think in the next month here I'm going to purchase:

- Grado SR325i
- Little Dot MKii

Any objections from a more experienced headphone user? These will primarily be used for gaming on the PC, secondary for music.

Setre

I’m thinking of buying my first IEM in preparation for the launch of the Vita. So has anyone got recommendations for an all-around good IEM?

LCfiner

So I currently own a pair of Grado SR80s and have had and loved them for years...

...I think in the next month here I'm going to purchase:

- Grado SR325i
- Little Dot MKii

Any objections from a more experienced headphone user? These will primarily be used for gaming on the PC, secondary for music.

You might want to consider a used rs1 for 500 and ditch the amp for now. Or get a nice cheap one like a cmoy for some volume gain and some increased bass extension.

Well that depends if you want a slightly more mellow grado sound. The 325 is more aggressive than the rs1 and you may be after that. My feeling is there is more noticeable improvement going to the rs1 unamped than using the 325 with an amp.

Either way I think you'll be happy moving up to a higher end grado. I love em

pax217

You might want to consider a used rs1 for 500 and ditch the amp for now. Or get a nice cheap one like a cmoy for some volume gain and some increased bass extension.

Well that depends if you want a slightly more mellow grado sound. The 325 is more aggressive than the rs1 and you may be after that. My feeling is there is more noticeable improvement going to the rs1 unamped than using the 325 with an amp.

Either way I think you'll be happy moving up to a higher end grado. I love em

I'll consider the RS1s, I was actually going to choose them over the 325s but I wasn't sure about a justification of price... if the amp is unnecessary over the RS1s then that's fine. Thanks.

LCfiner

I'll consider the RS1s, I was actually going to choose them over the 325s but I wasn't sure about a justification of price... if the amp is unnecessary over the RS1s then that's fine. Thanks.

I would not say an amp is totally unnecessary. But I am saying I would use a cheap amp for now (like a JDS Labs cmoy which shares a lot of similarity to the Grado RA-1 amp) and then get something like an asgard (250 bucks) or a nice amp/DAC unit later on.

That speaks to how much I like the RS1 over other Grados I've listened to (yes, even out of an iPod with a 1/8” adapter).

From my experience, it’s always been transducers first, sources and amps second - upgrading those for most headphones is a subtle change.

FFChris

I've been lurking in this thread for a few months now and on the basis from a few recommendations from you guys decided to buy some Sennheiser HD558s for home use. £100 from Ebay, and I immediately regretted the purchase.. until they came through the post.

These things are incredible. The step up from ordinary headphones to these is like night and day. Worth every penny!

pax217

I would not say an amp is totally unnecessary. But I am saying I would use a cheap amp for now (like a JDS Labs cmoy which shares a lot of similarity to the Grado RA-1 amp) and then get something like an asgard (250 bucks) or a nice amp/DAC unit later on.

That speaks to how much I like the RS1 over other Grados I've listened to (yes, even out of an iPod with a 1/8” adapter).

From my experience, it’s always been transducers first, sources and amps second - upgrading those for most headphones is a subtle change.

This would be my first headphone amp, in all reality I'm still running my SR80s from an Audigy ZS and like I said, have loved them. I plan on upgrading the sound card to an HT Omega Claro (not sure which one) as well (which I've read that people forego an amp with those cards a lot of the time anyway).

How are those cMoy amps? I've read a lot about them but always brushed them off because they're in an Altoids can.

thatbox

Banned
I've been lurking in this thread for a few months now and on the basis from a few recommendations from you guys decided to buy some Sennheiser HD558s for home use. £100 from Ebay, and I immediately regretted the purchase.. until they came through the post.

These things are incredible. The step up from ordinary headphones to these is like night and day. Worth every penny!

Welcome to the party!

LCfiner

This would be my first headphone amp, in all reality I'm still running my SR80s from an Audigy ZS and like I said, have loved them. I plan on upgrading the sound card to an HT Omega Claro (not sure which one) as well (which I've read that people forego an amp with those cards a lot of the time anyway).

How are those cMoy amps? I've read a lot about them but always brushed them off because they're in an Altoids can.

I have an old cmoy that I have not used in a while. it’s not even one of the pricier (and cleaner/ better built) JDS labs models. It’s a really great little amp. good power for a portable package, good price and nice sound with a little bump for the bass.

But, if you are going to get a real powerful sound card with a good built-in dac and a more powerful on board amp, then a cmoy would probably not be needed, in my opinion.

kunu

I've owned a pair of Grado SR80s for about a year now, love them, and now I'm looking for a pair of closed so I can use them out of the house.

Main pair I've been looking at that is in my price range is the ATH-M50s. How do these compare sound-wise to the SR80s? I know that having a closed pair of cans sacrifices some soundstage, but how else do these two compare? Also, is an amp necessary?

pax217

I have an old cmoy that I have not used in a while. it’s not even one of the pricier (and cleaner/ better built) JDS labs models. It’s a really great little amp. good power for a portable package, good price and nice sound with a little bump for the bass.

But, if you are going to get a real powerful sound card with a good built-in dac and a more powerful on board amp, then a cmoy would probably not be needed, in my opinion.

I might pick up the cMoy just to have it around anyway (paired with Klipsch S4's and a Droid phone?), I tend to listen to music when I go to Mariners' games to drown out the drunks the my vicinity. Perhaps one of the FiiO amps would serve me better for this?

Anywhere under $200, not including shiping.

At the $200 price range for great all arounders, I'd look into the Sony Ex600, V-Sonic GR07, and the Earsonics SM2.

I own the Ex600 and SM3 myself. The GR07 and Ex600 are supposed to be quite close in sound signature. I'd advise you to try to buy used from Head Fi whenever possible, as you can usually save quite a bit versus purchasing new at MSRP (of course check the seller feedback. I've been buying from there for years and never had problems for what it's worth) For instance, the Ex600 can't be found for less than $200 new these days, but I've seen more than a few go up on headfi for around $110-130 shipped. The SM2 is like $250 MSRP from Earsonics but I've see it as low as $150 shipped.

Out of all three of those phones though, I'd probably try to track down the SM2 as the sound sig is not far off from the SM3 which I consider to be quite a level above other IEMs I've heard, as well as being perfect in terms of portable applications (light, comfortable, easy to drive, doesn't suffer from cord noise) which I can't say for many other IEMs I've tried. There's also just something about the Earsonics presentation that feels really holographic compared to other IEMs I've heard, which, even the biggest in terms of soundstage, feel flat and 2D in their left/right imaging. They can convey space and intimacy, and positioning in a way that is totally unique to anything I've heard. Whether this is something you'd enjoy, I don't know, but they're the only IEMs that fool me into thinking I'm listening to something much larger than in ear phones.

Of course this is limited to production as I feel they convey what the engineer intended in presentation. An album like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy will sound grander and more enveloping than something like, Guns and Roses' Appetite For Destruction for instance. But different approaches to production really take you be surprise on Earsonic's phones compared to the more even and linear presentation that other phones force onto albums. The two aforementioned albums sound more or less similar in presentation on my FX500s for instance.

Anyhow, definitely try researching before you make a decision, because only your ears can really guide you.

So I just pulled out my M-Audio Firewire 410 thinking it might add some power to my AKG k240s - it's mainly a recording interface, two MIC IN, MIDI IN, etc, but it has phone inputs and if I remember correctly has a preamp of some kind. Don't really remember the specs on it. Is this something viable to use to give these cans some juice? I feel like I've heard quite a difference, but it could be placebo. Here's an image:

41F1RB2BMKL.jpg

Geneijin

Ok I read more of the OP but honestly, I think I've settled for something closed and I don't care if it's one of those that hugs behind your head or over but judging by the descriptions, that's what I would want.

Anything up to 80 dollars will work. I hate earbud style so skip anything like that. While I'm asking, what's the cheapest place to buy a pair?

Checked out the Samson SR850. Sounds really good for the price. Is that the best value or is there something slightly better for a little more? I can spend up to 80 but these here are already looking really good for the price.
The best you'll do under $100 imo, but the SR850 is semi-open, not closed. If you want a closed design but comparable to the SR850, look into the Superlux 662 or CAD MH310.

Top Bottom