• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

pax217

What kind of device can I put between this and the xboxen that can control the volume?

Does your television have a headphone output? If so, you'd be using your TV to control the volume as your currently do. If not, you'll want to get yourself an amplifier with some kind of volume control. There are plenty of cheap options available such as the following:

- JDS Labs cMoy Amplifiers
They're small, easy to use.

- FiiO Amps
You'll want something with a control knob such as the E9

- Dayton Audio DTA-100a Amp
I like the way it looks, and it's ease-of-use

Those of you who know more, feel free to step in and give some more ideas.

Also, if your TV has an RCA (red & white) output that allows you to control the volume, you could jerry-rig your headphones to that, too.

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
I've been reading some really good info on head-fi.org regarding IEM's and wanted to ask gaffer's what their thoughts are between the SE215 and the SE315. I'm leaning towards the SE215 because of the price but if the SE315's are better for a bit more, I'm willing to go that route. I listen to a lot of hip-hop so good bass would be sweet.

Thanks in advance!

hayguyz

Banned
Does your television have a headphone output? If so, you'd be using your TV to control the volume as your currently do. If not, you'll want to get yourself an amplifier with some kind of volume control. There are plenty of cheap options available such as the following:

- JDS Labs cMoy Amplifiers
They're small, easy to use.

- FiiO Amps
You'll want something with a control knob such as the E9

- Dayton Audio DTA-100a Amp
I like the way it looks, and it's ease-of-use

Those of you who know more, feel free to step in and give some more ideas.

Also, if your TV has an RCA (red & white) output that allows you to control the volume, you could jerry-rig your headphones to that, too.

It'll be on my monitor and it doesn't have any headphone output.

Are there any earbud options with in-line volume control? I can't do on-ear headphones because it hurts too much, and I feel that in-ear headphones will make me not hear the babies. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend too much, but if I can't find what I'm after, I may have to buy one of these amps with a volume knob.

pax217

It'll be on my monitor and it doesn't have any headphone output.

Are there any earbud options with in-line volume control? I can't do on-ear headphones because it hurts too much, and I feel that in-ear headphones will make me not hear the babies. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend too much, but if I can't find what I'm after, I may have to buy one of these amps with a volume knob.

IEMs usually do a pretty good job of noise cancellation, so yeah. That link from MonoPrice earlier was a set of in-ear headphones.

Do you need a microphone that's compatible with the Xbox as well? If price really is a factor then you can't go wrong with MonoPrice products for the cost, but it doesn't look much like they have what you're looking for.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823

andylsun

I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD 565 Ovation headphones for nearly 20 years - the earpads have gone soft, the foam in front of the drivers has disintegrated (this foam cuts out some of the high-end by design, they are too bright without it) and the headband has collapsed. One of the drivers had an buzz, that turned out to be caused by a buildup of 'gunk' on the driver face - once cleaned, the buzz was gone.

I picked up a pair of HD555's and did the 595 mod on them, but finally decided to repair the 565's. Ordered new ear pads, and the HD580 headband which can be adjusted to fit the 565. Will post pics when I get them complete! About $60 from Sennheiser USA, but I think it'll be worth it.

Arcteryx

I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD 565 Ovation headphones for nearly 20 years - the earpads have gone soft, the foam in front of the drivers has disintegrated (this foam cuts out some of the high-end by design, they are too bright without it) and the headband has collapsed. One of the drivers had an buzz, that turned out to be caused by a buildup of 'gunk' on the driver face - once cleaned, the buzz was gone.

I picked up a pair of HD555's and did the 595 mod on them, but finally decided to repair the 565's. Ordered new ear pads, and the HD580 headband which can be adjusted to fit the 565. Will post pics when I get them complete! About $60 from Sennheiser USA, but I think it'll be worth it.

Nice! Let us know how it goes. It's always fun seeing people repair/mod headphones

I've been reading some really good info on head-fi.org regarding IEM's and wanted to ask gaffer's what their thoughts are between the SE215 and the SE315. I'm leaning towards the SE215 because of the price but if the SE315's are better for a bit more, I'm willing to go that route. I listen to a lot of hip-hop so good bass would be sweet.

Thanks in advance!

I think the SE215 will suit your needs well, but I hear that detachable cable design is pretty problematic, like it causes static when it swivels in its socket, and can short out, etc. I know Shure has had a troubled history concerning its replaceable cables, but I'm not sure if they had addressed that with the latest batches of phones. So that would be worth researching.

From my experience, the HP FX-500, Radius DDM and Fischer Audio Eterna are excellent for hip hop if you are craving thunderous bass impact that's textured and extends really low.

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
I think the SE215 will suit your needs well, but I hear that detachable cable design is pretty problematic, like it causes static when it swivels in its socket, and can short out, etc. I know Shure has had a troubled history concerning its replaceable cables, but I'm not sure if they had addressed that with the latest batches of phones. So that would be worth researching.

From my experience, the HP FX-500, Radius DDM and Fischer Audio Eterna are excellent for hip hop if you are craving thunderous bass impact that's textured and extends really low.

Thanks for the reply & info!

pax217

Is there a comparable speaker/home audio thread to this one on GAF that I've missed? This is one of my favorite threads since joining.

All of Phonak's phones carry the "Audeo" moniker actually, they are distinguished by model numbers, 012, 132, and 232. I'm assuming you're referring to the 012. You can't go wrong with any of them in my opinion, but... (I hate having to mention this over and over), if you can, I would seriously try to score a pair of Sony Ex600s from Headfi's For Sale section. I've seen them go for as low as $105 shipped, and speaking from experience, these babies can easily hang with sets up to three times as expensive (They share much of the sound signature with the $600 MSRP Sony EX1000 after all). The fact that they have detachable cables and are quite robustly built is also a huge bonus in the IEM world. Grab a pair of those and you won't really be left wondering what a purchase in the $200-$300 range will net you in terms of performance. They're pretty much the only phones I've heard in a lower price category that don't make me want to rip them out of my ears in favor of the SM3.

Purchased a pair of EX600s today, new, for $120 shipped. Excited, thanks for the rec. Will be considering the ZO2 after a few weeks of listening.

andylsun

I don't think there's a home audio/stereo thread, but perhaps there should be (and I can't make one yet).

I don't have much money to spend on hifi, but have got pretty good at buying classic old amplifiers and repairing/renovating them and putting them in my systems. It's also amazing what can be picked up for free, or ends up at our local town recycling.

My wife keeps wondering why I need 5 pairs of speakers, 6 amps, 5 turntables etc... I've not actually bought any brand new hifi gear for about 10 years (and that was speakers at Richer Sounds, the best hifi store on the planet!) - actually have more fun repairing older stuff.

Is there a comparable speaker/home audio thread to this one on GAF that I've missed? This is one of my favorite threads since joining.

Purchased a pair of EX600s today, new, for $120 shipped. Excited, thanks for the rec. Will be considering the ZO2 after a few weeks of listening.

Nice score! What was your source if you don't mind asking? I got mine for about $130 shipped about 5 months ago from Amazon when Head-Fi hype was ratcheting up, they have since leapt up in price. Oh, and I hope you've got some classical/jazz/vocals in your collection, cause that shit sounds amazing on the Ex600s. Any good recordings do as a matter of fact, they have really great dynamics that make you appreciate the energy of a performance.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Does anyone have suggestions for a good pair of on ear portable headphones? My M50s are just too damn big and inconvenient to lug around unfortunately.

Are the V-Moda M80s as good as they're hyped up to be? I'm hesitant.

pax217

Nice score! What was your source if you don't mind asking? I got mine for about $130 shipped about 5 months ago from Amazon when Head-Fi hype was ratcheting up, they have since leapt up in price. Oh, and I hope you've got some classical/jazz/vocals in your collection, cause that shit sounds amazing on the Ex600s. Any good recordings do as a matter of fact, they have really great dynamics that make you appreciate the energy of a performance.

My favorite albums that I own (I only buy CDs and rip as WAV, and then do test-drives via Spotify for other music) in those genre would be numerous Chet Baker albums (unfortunately not very well recorded or mastered), John Legend's albums, and I have one single Bach collection. I will be adding to my collection here over the next few weeks (I only buy CDs a few times a year after I've been able to listen to everything and figure out what I like) so if you have any suggestions there; don't hesitate.

I tend to use Audioslave's first album as my benchmark when testing a system, unorthodox, I know... but it was recorded so well and sounds so good that I can't help it.

I purchased them from a website called "ValleySeek" that I periodically purchase electronics from.

Alucrid

Banned

There's an audiophile speaker thread. It's not very active though as there's only a few members willing to shell out a couple of thousand of dollars for a nice speaker set up.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348320&page=32

smr00

Banned
Anyone have Astro A40s? My 720s finally kicked the bucket and i am in the market for a new pair of headphones for my TV (thin walls and all, the only time i get to watch movies is at night) so i am looking for the best possible pair of headphones for gaming/blu-rays.

I hear the A40s are great, i wish i could find a pair can simulate surround sound WELL with deep bass if that is even possible, can spend around $300, would prefer to keep it around $200 but $250-300 if needed. Only thing is.. gotta have a way to connect via optical.

pax217

There's an audiophile speaker thread. It's not very active though as there's only a few members willing to shell out a couple of thousand of dollars for a nice speaker set up.

Thanks. Yeah, looks a little discombobulated, but I'll follow it. I haven't had speakers hooked up to my PC in years, and even then they were a pair of active M-Audio monitors. Would love to have a home audio thread running too; perhaps once I become a Member.

CPCunha

a5144240bd7cf90aa790b67b938ac99b6097ba08.png

Been using this duo for a couple of weeks now and i'm really happy with it.
My main is a GradoSR325 but i was really self-aware of using them on buses and stuff because of all the leaking, so i picked up the GM for
the wanderlust and they sound amazing pumping flacs through the E11.

"=0)

nitewulf

Thanks. Yeah, looks a little discombobulated, but I'll follow it.

actually try to read up that thread from the beginning, where there's a lot more speaker/hardware talk. the few of us already have our systems set up, so we dont spam the thread with the same stuff. but we can answer any questions.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
how are aiaiaiai products?
I already have some 595s but the aiaiaiai tracks look like really attractive compact walkin around headphones. the swirls seem ok too, by I always have bad luck with in ear devices.

Ashhong

how are aiaiaiai products?
I already have some 595s but the aiaiaiai tracks look like really attractive compact walkin around headphones. the swirls seem ok too, by I always have bad luck with in ear devices.

I dont see them talked about much in here aside from the TMA-1, which are always highly recommended.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The tracks are some of -if not the most attractive headphones I've ever seen.

pax217

actually try to read up that thread from the beginning, where there's a lot more speaker/hardware talk. the few of us already have our systems set up, so we dont spam the thread with the same stuff. but we can answer any questions.

I'll put that on the to-do this weekend. I've got the home audio setups down pat, it's headphones I know nothing about.

Thanks.

Hey guys, so I wanted some advice on buying two things: a second pair of headphones and an amp.

I currently have the M50's and I thought it was about time to get a different pair. I'm not that experienced in headphones, so bear with me here; I'm looking for something to compliment the M50 by giving me a wider range of listening. Since the M50's are closed, should I be looking for an open set of cans? I really enjoy sound stage, which I find the M50's to be lacking in quite a bit and I know open ones generally offer good sound stage. My budget for the headphones is 100-200$ USD. Main purpose would still be mostly music listening and the occasional computer/gaming use.

As for the amp, does a desktop amp offer a significant difference over a good portable one? I currently just have a E6, and I like it a lot for the most part, but I'm wondering if I want to buy something that will leave me tied to my computer chair. As for an amp, I'm looking for something in the range of 50-100$ USD.

Sanjuro

I'm probably not going to get into the craziness as some of you gents, but was looking to get a solid pair of headphones. I don't listen to a ton of music, but would be used primarily for that and some videos.

From online reviews I've kind of halted at the Sennheiser HD558.

Any personal opinions on this model? Is there a cheaper line in the series that might give similar performance for a better price?

Thanks. :)

andylsun

I'm probably not going to get into the craziness as some of you gents, but was looking to get a solid pair of headphones. I don't listen to a ton of music, but would be used primarily for that and some videos.

From online reviews I've kind of halted at the Sennheiser HD558.

Any personal opinions on this model? Is there a cheaper line in the series that might give similar performance for a better price?

Thanks. :)

I love my HD555's which are the earlier version of this model (though some people don't like the Sennheiser sound, but this is my 5th pair of Sennheisers in the last 20 years). They're drivable on portable devices to reasonable levels. I can't compare them to Grado, Beyer Dynamic, AKG or other manufacturers.

It may depend on the types of music you like and the sources that you like. They are *very* open, so no good in noisy environments. My wife can hear them in the other room when I'm using them, and I don't have them *that* cranked.

If you can find the 555's on closeout anywhere (I got mine for well under $100) they are a steal and can be modified easily to make them equal to the 595's.

pax217

Girlfriend would like a pair of headphones with an in-line mic that's compatible with the iPhone. I bought her a pair of the MonoPrice earbuds, but I'd rather buy her something a bit nicer... what are my best opportunities in the $50 range?

Girlfriend would like a pair of headphones with an in-line mic that's compatible with the iPhone. I bought her a pair of the MonoPrice earbuds, but I'd rather buy her something a bit nicer... what are my best opportunities in the $50 range?

Actual headphones, iem's or earbuds?

FoxSpirit

Not to mention you then get to experience the full brunt of modern "production quality" :-\
Still, finally found a compact speaker that is up to snuff and does not cost €5k+
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35100070&postcount=703

Waiting for that ICS Android update so I can hook up my SGS-II to a FiiO E17. Come on, Google.

Ashhong

I have never been more happy with my M50 purchase. It's rocking my socks off atm. That may or may not have anything to do with drugs.

bedlamite

The tracks are some of -if not the most attractive headphones I've ever seen.
I own a pair of the Tracks. They're a tad bass heavy but not overwhelmingly so, which actually makes for a pretty fun sound signature. The problem with these headphones is that due to their open design they leak copious amounts of sound. I don't want to be that guy on the bus pissing everybody off with his noisy headphones so I've never taken them out. Damn shame.

I've also auditioned the TMA1s, it's a a fantastic headphone for electronic music but the sound was just too dark for everything else.

Reg

Banned
Are there any retailers in Canada that sell the ATH-AD700 headphones? Only place I see them is at amazon Canada for $170.

Krabardaf

Hello everyone, I need an advice for a friend.
After hearing my DT770, he wants one. Only thing is, mine is 250ohm and plugged to an amp. His would be connected to a small HIFI system.
Simply put, should he go with the 80Ohm or the 250ohm?

Thanks!

see5harp

I linked like 135$ a few weeks ago. It will probably happen again as the new models near release.

Well shit homie I hope I don't miss your post. I'm a newcomer here, as I've been satisfied with my headphones for the last 3 years or so. I'm flush with cash and was planning on dropping $400 for IEMs. If I can get those TMA's for $150 shipped I'd probably die of joy.

Tunic

I am looking to try some different headphones than the Beats Solo headphones I have. I am looking to keep price lower than $250. They would only be used for listening to music. It would be nice if they are closed but it wouldn't be a big deal if they are not. Thanks in advance for the help!

Alex

I am a complete dolt when it comes to this stuff, but I just want to buy a simple and cheap amp to boost power/loudness of the headphones I have. Is there anything on the low end that can handle that?

shira

I am looking to try some different headphones than the Beats Solo headphones I have. I am looking to keep price lower than $250. They would only be used for listening to music. It would be nice if they are closed but it wouldn't be a big deal if they are not. Thanks in advance for the help!

You need to specify what time of music you listen to, to get a more specific response.

LCfiner

I am a complete dolt when it comes to this stuff, but I just want to buy a simple and cheap amp to boost power/loudness of the headphones I have. Is there anything on the low end that can handle that?

hey, I know I mentioned a Fiio e11 or a cmoy in your original thread but if all you really want is some volume boost and nothing else, then you should give the fiio E6 a shot. 30 bucks.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

hey, I know I mentioned a Fiio e11 or a cmoy in your original thread but if all you really want is some volume boost and nothing else, then you should give the fiio E6 a shot. 30 bucks.

Yeah the e6 is perfect for your needs.

Amazon!

Alex

Oh, that seems good, will give it a shot, thanks.

Top Bottom