• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

So I've owned a pair of RS-1s for a few years now and absolutely love them, but recently I've been thinking about adding another pair of headphones to the collection and I don't know that I want to dish out the kind of money that its bigger brothers demand. I don't really browse head-fi much at all, so I've only just recently discovered the Magnum driver mod and I have to admit that I'm awfully tempted to pull the trigger on a pair of these. There are quite a few positive reviews of them over at head-fi, but I'm still a bit skeptical. Anyone here have any experience?

Fou-Lu

It's my birthday today and my brother knew I'd been looking at ATH-M50s, so what do you know, he goes and orders them for me. Best brother ever.

Would you say the RS1s were worth the money you spent on them? I am in the market.
Absolutely, but I will say that they are probably a bit overpriced. If you're not a huge Grado fan, it'd probably be worth just getting a pair of SR-225s as I didn't find the RS-1s to be a big step up over the 225s considering the price gap between the two. I have no regrets about upgrading from my 225s though.

That could be a problem since I get a 503 Forbidden on their website. Regional lock? (Sweden)

J-phonic is based in Japan... Hmm... I just tried their site and it's locked me out too. Let me see if what's going on... J-phonics is distributed via Sensaphonics Japanese site, Sensaphonics.jp, and I'm not seeing the K2 there either... weird. If I find something, I'll PM you, there's probably a thread up on Head Fi detailing what's going on with their site

pax217

Absolutely, but I will say that they are probably a bit overpriced. If you're not a huge Grado fan, it'd probably be worth just getting a pair of SR-225s as I didn't find the RS-1s to be a big step up over the 225s considering the price gap between the two. I have no regrets about upgrading from my 225s though.

I own a pair of SR80s and love them, and was considering the 325s before thinking RS1... Hmm....

pax217

You buying new or used? Might be worth considering browsing around the head-fi for sale forums if you haven't already.

Will probably be used just because it'll be cheaper, but I honestly don't care either way. I searched through Head-Fi, they seem to sell pretty quickly. eBay looks like it'll offer some opportunity here-and-there.

maxxpower

Headphones or earbuds, no IEMs between $40-60.

I prefer crisp-clear sound reproduction with plenty of bass. I'll mostly be listening to black metal, death metal, sludge, bass-heavy synthpop, industrial/EBM.

Any recommendations?

ProductDetailImage.ashx

got these in early last week. replaced a cheap skullcandy pair i had bought to replace my broken HD595 because i was unemployed at the time.

really enjoying them. they're insanely comfortable to wear and the bass is meaty without being overpowered. mid-range could use some clarity, overall i'm really satisfied. came with a mini desktop amp that i've been using. never had one before and i haven't really done any extensive testing to see how much a difference it makes but whatever. i appreciate the additional volume control.

see5harp

You should read up on the sound signature of the ie8 to see if it's something you'd be interested in. It isn't an upgrade so much as it is a sidegrade. You'll be trading in separation, clarity, and speed for much bigger soundstage, better instrument timbre/tonality, bass extension/slam. Whether those variables are ones you'd be interested in, is a question only you can answer. I would personally spring for the FX700 before thinking of the ie8, as I personally think the ie8 isn't that great of a performance/value proposition. It'd be a great buy at $200, but at $300? Naaaaaahhhhhh

I decided to go super cheap and ordered the AIAIAI Fool's Gold Pipe buds. They cost like $50 shipped and honestly they sound fine for that amount of money. Highly considering the Sennheiser 600 or 650 now with the money I saved from not buying super expensive IEM's. I figure I might as well have some nice cans for use indoors. I actually like the AIAIAI cans because of portability and the overall minimal design (and subsequent assumed rigidity). Would the AIAIAI TMA-1's be a good upgrade over the Ultimate Ears? I just assume any mid priced cans will perform a lot better assuming I have appropriate power. What's the lowest people have seen the TMA-1's for?

nib95

Banned
Last shot of my set up as it currently stands ;'(

NibzSetUp.jpg

Anyway, finally found a house I'm after and need the money, so I'm having a massive sell off. Among the list are...

Audeze LCD-2 Rev 2's with Travel Case
Norse Audio Norn 4-Wire cable (for LCD-2's)
Denon D5000's
Shure SE535's
Violectric V200 headphone amp
Alo The Continental Portable Tube Amp
Ray Samuels RSA SR-71 Portable Tube amp
Rein Audio RCA to Mini cable
Rein Audio Balanced Interconnects
iPhone 4S 64GB Black (New and Sealed)

PM with offers if anyone's interested. Ideally in the UK, but internationals fine if you're cool paying shipping.

pax217

So after finding myself reading every post on this thread for the last few days, I've decided to get some new in-ears as well... what's the opinion on Grado's iGi's?

Kinan

Ok, headphone GAF, I need help. Wanted to buy a headphones with mic but can not decide on what would be the better choice.

My boundary conditions:

Must:
have mic somewhere for SWTOR sessions.
be iPad compatible.
comfortable to wear for 2+ hours.
cost not more than 100€.

Would be nice but not necessary:

wireless (bluetooth)
full-size over the ear.
noise reduction
cost around 50€ :)
hidden mic

From what I see Sennheiser Travel MM550 fits ideally to my tastes, but just too damn expensive. Any cheapo options? :)

LCfiner

So after finding myself reading every post on this thread for the last few days, I've decided to get some new in-ears as well... what's the opinion on Grado's iGi's?

I have found practically nothing on these. only a few short posts on Head-fi. I don't remember them being particularly glowing.

Moving up to the GR-8. I had those and thought they were great (I wrote a post about them a while back). note that the ortofon eq5 are similar and cheaper but have bigger, heavier housings. they have a very airy/ lofty sound that reminds me of open headphones and they don't sound closed in or congested like some portable headphones. I really like them (but they are pricey at 300 new. this is another headphone I recommend getting used, if one can, for ~200

pax217

I have fond practically nothing on these. only a few short posts on Head-fi. I don't remember them being particularly glowing.

Moving up to the GR-8. I had those and thought they were great (I wrote a post about them a while back). note that the ortofon eq5 are similar and cheaper but have bigger, heavier housings. they have a very airy/ lofty sound that reminds me of open headphones and they don't sound closed in or congested like some portable headphones. I really like them (but they are pricey at 300 new. this is another headphone I recommend getting used, if one can, for ~200

Thanks, as always. Will put both on my list and keep an eye out. I'm having great luck finding various headphones of all types on eBay that don't necessarily come up with listings on Google.

I'll ask this one since I've always wondered... the best method(s) to break in headphones is...?

Just use them, and don't worry about it. Break in entails playing sound through your phones so that the drivers and diaphragm can supposedly flex and settle in, so you might as well listen while they are "breaking in". In the case of phones such as the Grado GR8 and other armature based transducers, there will be no "break in" as that technology isn't susceptible to the mechanical changes that dynamic driver tech is. However, supposedly multi armature phones can have the crossover "burn in". The whole thing is honestly polarizing, with many supporters and detractors so I wouldn't worry about it.

And yeah, do try searching Head Fi's FS forums. You'll avoid the bid wars of EBay, and a lot of stuff can be found at HF for amazing prices cause people are constantly flipping gear due to "flavor of the month". Case in point: I ran across a guy selling his JPhonic K2 for only $250, you can only buy these customized from Sensaphonics JPN (as they are the only vendor) for $400. I saw another guy sell his Westone ES5 for $475, these can only be purchased directly from Westone for $980. Other great values abound, but those were two of the best deals I've come across.

pax217

just listen to them :)

Burn in effects are minor at best and do not require a lot of time or specialized routines.

I thought this story at innerfidelity made a good attempt at trying to quantify what effects may be heard from burn in.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

Just use them, and don't worry about it. Break in entails playing sound through your phones so that the drivers and diaphragm can supposedly flex and settle in, so you might as well listen while they are "breaking in". In the case of phones such as the Grado GR8 and other armature based transducers, there will be no "break in" as that technology isn't susceptible to the mechanical changes that dynamic driver tech is. However, supposedly multi armature phones can have the crossover "burn in". The whole thing is honestly polarizing, with many supporters and detractors so I wouldn't worry about it.

And yeah, do try searching Head Fi's FS forums. You'll avoid the bid wars of EBay, and a lot of stuff can be found at HF for amazing prices cause people are constantly flipping gear due to "flavor of the month". Case in point: I ran across a guy selling his JPhonic K2 for only $250, you can only buy these customized from Sensaphonics JPN (as they are the only vendor) for $400. I saw another guy sell his Westone ES5 for $475, these can only be purchased directly from Westone for $980. Other great values abound, but those were two of the best deals I've come across.

Thanks to both, learned more about headphones in the last week from this forum than I have in a lifetime.

What's the correct pronounciation of "Westone"? Is it:
1) West-one
2) Wes-stone
3) West-tone
4) Any of those but with "weee" instead of "wes"?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The best you'll do under $100 imo, but the SR850 is semi-open, not closed. If you want a closed design but comparable to the SR850, look into the Superlux 662 or CAD MH310.

TY SIR. LTTP on the response but I'm going to order one tomorrow so I'm currently looking at your suggestion.

The CAD MH310 are 60, normally 100. That has to be a good deal right!?!??

I sent a PM, the CAD's are definitely closed which is a better thing for me. Not that them Samson's aren't impressive. If it's recommended here and has that many great reviews, they have to be good. Semi open is what is pulling me back n forth.

Helmholtz

Hey GAF I want to buy some earbuds that are $25-50. I've been looking at these but I'm not sure. What do you recommend or are these good?
Not sure about those, but I've been using the meelectronics m9 for a while now and I like them quite a bit. A lot of people also vouch for the m6.
Might be a bit below your price point though. For $25-50 you can probably get something even better, but if you want something really cheap that still sounds pretty great those are good.

TY SIR. LTTP on the response but I'm going to order one tomorrow so I'm currently looking at your suggestion.

The CAD MH310 are 60, normally 100. That has to be a good deal right!?!??

I sent a PM, the CAD's are definitely closed which is a better thing for me. Not that them Samson's aren't impressive. If it's recommended here and has that many great reviews, they have to be good. Semi open is what is pulling me back n forth.

The CAD's are just rebranded Superlux's. Seems like a decent deal, if you need to buy from amazon and don't want to buy the Superlux's through ebay.

Mistle

how's the fit? In pictures, the ear pads look really small. Are they comfortable?
The entire headphones are bigger than pictures make them seem. My ears fit in them really comfortably. The only comfort issue I have is, after an hour or so of use, I can feel the headband pressing against the top of my head. It can get very slightly painful. However I don't think this is a problem with the design, but moreso a problem with the shape of my head lol...

Absolutely love the M50s, all those reviews weren't just part of the hype.

Echoes

What would be a better fit for podcast recording, M50 or Sony MDR7506? As in: comfort (for 3 to 4 hours), no sound leakage on higher volumes, and fit. Any one knows?

I'm one hair away from ordering Sony's, but I'm still not sure. 5by5's Dan Benjamin swears by them for recording podcasts.

accx

I'm looking into getting a pair of closed headphones for starting a growing hobby of mine, namely DJ'ing. I've seen the Sennheiser HD25-1 II being recommended but i thought i'd ask here for other recommendations.
around $200 is my budget. Preferably they would also be somewhat decent when producing but it's still in a way early stage at this point.

LCfiner

I'm looking into getting a pair of closed headphones for starting a growing hobby of mine, namely DJ'ing. I've seen the Sennheiser HD25-1 II being recommended but i thought i'd ask here for other recommendations.
around $200 is my budget. Preferably they would also be somewhat decent when producing but it's still in a way early stage at this point.

the other popular 200 dollar pair is the AIAIAI TMA-1. For $300, you go the Beyerdynamic DT1350

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I have gigantic ears that stick out, and the M50s fit great. Ear pads are not small at all. If my ears can fit, anybody's can.

The entire headphones are bigger than pictures make them seem. My ears fit in them really comfortably. The only comfort issue I have is, after an hour or so of use, I can feel the headband pressing against the top of my head. It can get very slightly painful. However I don't think this is a problem with the design, but moreso a problem with the shape of my head lol...

Absolutely love the M50s, all those reviews weren't just part of the hype.

Interesting. They do look small in the pics, compared to other closed headphones, especially the ATH-A700 or Sen 555s. My problem is that my long from top to bottom. I had that problem with my old headphones that clipped my ear in the top.

pax217

A high-end audio group I'm a part of here in Seattle has suggested the "Phonak Audeo" set for my IEM needs... any Gaffers familiar with them? They seem to be below where I was planning on spending; but if they're good enough, they're good enough.

A high-end audio group I'm a part of here in Seattle has suggested the "Phonak Audeo" set for my IEM needs... any Gaffers familiar with them? They seem to be below where I was planning on spending; but if they're good enough, they're good enough.

Phonaks are good, certainly. Their flagship 232 is supposed to be one of the best universals out there, though I'd argue at that price, you may as well step up to customs. I'm assuming you're checking out one of their lower end models though, no?

hayguyz

Banned
I'd like to get some okay earbuds to use for game consoles.

I have my 360 hooked up to my monitor via HDMI right now. My monitor has crappy speakers so I'd like to get something else. I'd like earbuds because those are more comfortable for me. I can't wear headphones on my ears.

I am in no way an audiophile, but I would like them to be good, if that's feasible. Also do they need to have in-line volume control? Or is there some kind of connector I would need to go in between?

pax217

Phonaks are good, certainly. Their flagship 232 is supposed to be one of the best universals out there, though I'd argue at that price, you may as well step up to customs. I'm assuming you're checking out one of their lower end models though, no?

Apparently the "Audeo" model they suggested only runs for about $100 on B&H, probably less elsewhere.

Apparently the "Audeo" model they suggested only runs for about $100 on B&H, probably less elsewhere.

All of Phonak's phones carry the "Audeo" moniker actually, they are distinguished by model numbers, 012, 132, and 232. I'm assuming you're referring to the 012. You can't go wrong with any of them in my opinion, but... (I hate having to mention this over and over), if you can, I would seriously try to score a pair of Sony Ex600s from Headfi's For Sale section. I've seen them go for as low as $105 shipped, and speaking from experience, these babies can easily hang with sets up to three times as expensive (They share much of the sound signature with the $600 MSRP Sony EX1000 after all). The fact that they have detachable cables and are quite robustly built is also a huge bonus in the IEM world. Grab a pair of those and you won't really be left wondering what a purchase in the $200-$300 range will net you in terms of performance. They're pretty much the only phones I've heard in a lower price category that don't make me want to rip them out of my ears in favor of the SM3.

pax217

All of Phonak's phones carry the "Audeo" moniker actually, they are distinguished by model numbers, 012, 132, and 232. I'm assuming you're referring to the 012. You can't go wrong with any of them in my opinion, but... (I hate having to mention this over and over), if you can, I would seriously try to score a pair of Sony Ex600s from Headfi's For Sale section. I've seen them go for as low as $105 shipped, and speaking from experience, these babies can easily hang with sets up to three times as expensive (They share much of the sound signature with the $600 MSRP Sony EX1000 after all). The fact that they have detachable cables and are quite robustly built is also a huge bonus in the IEM world. Grab a pair of those and you won't really be left wondering what a purchase in the $200-$300 range will net you in terms of performance. They're pretty much the only phones I've heard in a lower price category that don't make me want to rip them out of my ears in favor of the SM3.
OK, thanks a ton for the advice. Moving the EX600s to the top of my list. Would a FiiO E6 be an apt amp for them? I like the size of the E6, but if I must go cMoy, then I must...?

OK, thanks a ton for the advice. Moving the EX600s to the top of my list. Would a FiiO E6 be an apt amp for them? I like the size of the E6, but if I must go cMoy, then I must...?

They are supposed to really get funky with the Digizoid ZO. If you can track down a V1, it's about half the price of the current V2 ($99) which supplanted them. That's just all the people who rave about the Ex600/ZO combo on Headfi. I use them flat out of an iPhone 4 and have no qualms with their sound, but if you want DAT BASS, they are supposed to respond well to amping.

I'd like to get some okay earbuds to use for game consoles.

I have my 360 hooked up to my monitor via HDMI right now. My monitor has crappy speakers so I'd like to get something else. I'd like earbuds because those are more comfortable for me. I can't wear headphones on my ears.

I am in no way an audiophile, but I would like them to be good, if that's feasible. Also do they need to have in-line volume control? Or is there some kind of connector I would need to go in between?
Monoprice's 8320 is supposed to be the cat's pajamas at 7 bucks. Word on Headfi is that they're able to hang with earphones up to the $50 range. Hell, at that price, I'm tempted to pick up a pair just for the hell of it.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10823&cs_id=1082303&p_id=8320&seq=1&format=2

pax217

They are supposed to really get funky with the Digizoid ZO. If you can track down a V1, it's about half the price of the current V2 ($99) which supplanted them. That's just all the people who rave about the Ex600/ZO combo on Headfi. I use them flat out of an iPhone 4 and have no qualms with their sound, but if you want DAT BASS, they are supposed to respond well to amping.

Monoprice's 8320 is supposed to be the cat's pajamas at 7 bucks. Word on Headfi is that they're able to hang with earphones up to the $50 range.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10823&cs_id=1082303&p_id=8320&seq=1&format=2
I already own about five pairs of those MonoPrice headphones, and really don't like them :)

While I don't often find myself pursuing said DAT BASS, I do enjoy what I feel is a fuller sound that an amp produces... although I clearly don't have a lot of experience with headphone amps. I'll try them alone first-off. Thanks again.

What would be a better fit for podcast recording, M50 or Sony MDR7506? As in: comfort (for 3 to 4 hours), no sound leakage on higher volumes, and fit. Any one knows?

I'm one hair away from ordering Sony's, but I'm still not sure. 5by5's Dan Benjamin swears by them for recording podcasts.
I have both the M50s and 7506s...I use the 7506s at work to listen to music for hours at a time everyday, I think they're more comfy to use than the M50s for longer periods of time.

Top Bottom