• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

thatbox

Banned
Would an amp improve my Akg k242 HD headphones by that much? And if they do, any recommendations? This is just for PC use.

If you're just using your motherboard sound right now, a standalone DAC or soundcard would probably be a bigger improvement than an amp.

Ashhong

If you're just using your motherboard sound right now, a standalone DAC or soundcard would probably be a bigger improvement than an amp.

I'm using my motherboard sound and a Sony stereo acts as an amp. Would a soundcard be pretty helpful still?

I think someone recommended a 20$ soundcard on newegg once but i forgot what it was..

thatbox

Banned
I'm using my motherboard sound and a Sony stereo acts as an amp. Would a soundcard be pretty helpful still?

Depending on your receiver, you may be able to use your stereo's DAC, which would probably be free improvement. Can you output optical from your motherboard to your receiver?

The last motherboards that I remember as having decent sound were nForce2-based boards, so as far as I know using a dedicated DAC would probably be the biggest improvement for most computer users. I just made that upgrade with the E10 on this computer and it was very noticeable (and I only use SR-60s).

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
The RX unit is just an additional wireless mixamp to add a second headset to the 5.8 system. This won't work on its own and requires the base station.

The Mixamp pro has all the same features and and inputs as the 5.8 but is not wireless. Order it if wires don't matter. I have one of each, wired for the pc, wireless in the living room. The lack of wires running across the floor in the living room is a huge plus in my book.
Thank you sir for the info. Because I used to own the 5.8 system/headset but recently gave them away. And I didn't want to downgrade myself ordering the pro unit.

Ashhong

Depending on your receiver, you may be able to use your stereo's DAC, which would probably be free improvement. Can you output optical from your motherboard to your receiver?

The last motherboards that I remember as having decent sound were nForce2-based boards, so as far as I know using a dedicated DAC would probably be the biggest improvement for most computer users. I just made that upgrade with the E10 on this computer and it was very noticeable (and I only use SR-60s).

All I see on my stereo is a CD Optical Out and the standard analog inputs. I do have an optical out on my computer though.

thatbox

Banned
This?

It's a lot cheaper than I thought. I was expecting a more costly thing.

That's what I got, yeah, after reading this thread and doing research elsewhere.

That sounds right. I would still be using my stereo as an amp connected to this soundcard though, would that be ok?

Absolutely. The main thing is just to get a DAC that isn't all gummed up by the rest of the electronics on your motherboard. A decent soundcard or a USB DAC will send a clean signal out to your stereo. Turn your volume up and see how much background hiss you get, for example. A lot of that should be gone with either option.

Ashhong

I honestly don't notice any hiss at the loudest volume my ears can handle (ie, normal listening volume). But for 20$ it can't hurt haha

LCfiner

I thought I’d write a little post with some impressions of a used STAX combo I just got on Friday. It’s a relatively new SR-407 ear speaker (those brown rectangular things that look like they come from original trilogy Star Wars) plus an older SRM T1-S tube energizer in good shape.

Hywe9.jpg

I was feeding them with the Isabellina DAC and listening to mostly 256 AAC iTunes plus a few FLAC demo songs here and there.

The combo sound very good. However, to my surprise, the soundstage is not very large and doesn’t create a real “out of the head” experience as I was expecting. For that sensation, absolutely nothing I’ve listened to can match the mighty HD800. these are about on par with the D7000 for soundstage. good but not otherworldly.

But this less expensive setup than the HD800 provides similar amounts of detail and speed and has absolute wonderful tonality. It’s not quite as bright as the HD800 and sounds incredibly lifelike and natural. For a 600 dollar headphone (when new), it’s ahead of other headphones that I have used in that price range. But, of course, it also requires a more pricey, specialized “energizer” to run, so it’s hard to make it a budget hifi setup.

There is no obvious coloration to the sound that I can identify unlike with my other headphones, aside from the hD800. As much as I love my RS1 and D7000, they are not exactly presenting the music neutrally - they add their own flavour. The RS1 pushes the treble and upper midrange in your face. They’re very fun but not “natural”. The Denon D7000 has head rattling bass and still has great midrange and speed but it’s also obviously exaggerated in a different direction from the RS1 with that bass.

The Stax has much more in common with the HD800 in that it is more flat across the frequency spectrum, producing a more natural sound that can provide incredible detail and make you appreciate the subtleties of great recordings.

I’d say they provide a bit less bass than the HD800, but I have never felt the HD800 bass to be weak, when amped with enough power. The midrange “feels” more intimate and warm but I think that’s just how my brain is interpreting the more closed in soundstage compared to the HD800. It’s not a warm, lush headphone. It just presents the same details I have previously associated with the HD800 and its distant soundstage with a soundstage closer to my other dynamics so it might seem more lush.

My biggest issue with the headphones is comfort. They press more tightly on the sides of my head than I really like and the pleather pads and lack of air circulation makes my ears feel rather warm. The HD800 is much more comfortable and that’s real important to me.

I don’t know if I can keep these. On one hand, they are my second favourite headphone sound I have heard behind my HD800. But on the other hand, they are not the most comfortable headphone and require a dedicated, specialized (and huge) headphone amp. I would run out of desk space if I kept it around with my current setup. I bought them looking to replace my existing phones with something potentially cheaper but I don’t think I will ever find something to replace the HD800 without spending more money than I feel comfortable with. (like a stax SR-009 at 5K, lol)

Still, I think this type of mid-range Stax setup beats similarly priced “high end” dynamic cans if your goals are natural sound and a life like presentation. I can definitely appreciate the love behind Stax out there.

CPCunha

...about to get a Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium hd....am i doing it right? (been using my motherboard soundcard for ages now...and i'm looking for some good speakers so i figured a soundcard should be on the same league...)

Give me some recommendations!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Can anybody recommend some good wireless headphones? Ones in the $100 and $200 price range. And where to get them. I've checked Amazon and certain other high profile places but they don't seem to have ones that fit the criteria.

LordCanti

Can anybody recommend some good wireless headphones? Ones in the $100 and $200 price range. And where to get them. I've checked Amazon and certain other high profile places but they don't seem to have ones that fit the criteria.

I would wait for a sale on the Sennheiser RS170's or 180's. Both have been in the $200 range on Amazon before, according to camelcamelcamel (which tracks Amazon prices). You could try the lower end RS-120's if you want for $70.

Wireless headphones are really hit or miss in my experience. They aren't worth the money, unless a cable is just completely a deal breaker. The more expensive ones are supposedly pretty bullet proof though, in terms of not picking up enough static to be noticeable, while still being reasonably mid-fi (not beating out wired solution though).

Echoes

Based on the info above, you may want to go for the T1's instead. The LCD-2's have a more intimate, around the head sort of sound. It's detailed with gorgeous bass, but not incredibly spacious or stage like. More like a surround sound theatre room or studio kind of presence.

For rock, a little more space, speed, detail and soundstage goes a long way, and the T1's offer that (I personally pick my T1's over my LCD-2's every time for rock).

The LCD-2's might be better with pop however, dependant on the track, but if it's mid bass heavy instead of sub bass (sub bass is prominent with mainly Hip Hop and RnB. Dance and pop generally favour mid bass and here the T1 excels).

But lastly, with instrumentals, the T1 is the one to go for. Again, the extra space, high emphasis and sharper (but still relatively sweet) detailing will help with instrumental separation, imaging and hall or stage resemblance.

But they are both remarkable cans. You can't really go wrong with either.
I'd like your input on this: my ears are very sensitive to highs, I don't know how to express it.. let's say "treble booming" or peaking; voices like Rihanna just pierce right through my ear and I rarely get comfortable listening to her on higher volumes where I don't have problems listening to any rock/metal band for hours. What's the one of these two that has a balanced high, or not that sharp?

nib95

Banned
I'd like your input on this: my ears are very sensitive to highs, I don't know how to express it.. let's say "treble booming" or peaking; voices like Rihanna just pierce right through my ear and I rarely get comfortable listening to her on higher volumes where I don't have problems listening to any rock/metal band for hours. What's the one of these two that has a balanced high, or not that sharp?

If you want smoother, more laid back or less vivid high's, definitely go for the LCD-2's. T1's high's are far more extended. Still sweet, but more likely to be sibilant over the LCD-2's on certain rarer tracks, especially based on your description.

I thought I’d write a little post with some impressions of a used STAX combo I just got on Friday. It’s a relatively new SR-407 ear speaker (those brown rectangular things that look like they come from original trilogy Star Wars) plus an older SRM T1-S tube energizer in good shape.

Hywe9.jpg

I was feeding them with the Isabellina DAC and listening to mostly 256 AAC iTunes plus a few FLAC demo songs here and there.

The combo sound very good. However, to my surprise, the soundstage is not very large and doesn’t create a real “out of the head” experience as I was expecting. For that sensation, absolutely nothing I’ve listened to can match the mighty HD800. these are about on par with the D7000 for soundstage. good but not otherworldly.

But this less expensive setup than the HD800 provides similar amounts of detail and speed and has absolute wonderful tonality. It’s not quite as bright as the HD800 and sounds incredibly lifelike and natural. For a 600 dollar headphone (when new), it’s ahead of other headphones that I have used in that price range. But, of course, it also requires a more pricey, specialized “energizer” to run, so it’s hard to make it a budget hifi setup.

There is no obvious coloration to the sound that I can identify unlike with my other headphones, aside from the hD800. As much as I love my RS1 and D7000, they are not exactly presenting the music neutrally - they add their own flavour. The RS1 pushes the treble and upper midrange in your face. They’re very fun but not “natural”. The Denon D7000 has head rattling bass and still has great midrange and speed but it’s also obviously exaggerated in a different direction from the RS1 with that bass.

The Stax has much more in common with the HD800 in that it is more flat across the frequency spectrum, producing a more natural sound that can provide incredible detail and make you appreciate the subtleties of great recordings.

I’d say they provide a bit less bass than the HD800, but I have never felt the HD800 bass to be weak, when amped with enough power. The midrange “feels” more intimate and warm but I think that’s just how my brain is interpreting the more closed in soundstage compared to the HD800. It’s not a warm, lush headphone. It just presents the same details I have previously associated with the HD800 and its distant soundstage with a soundstage closer to my other dynamics so it might seem more lush.

My biggest issue with the headphones is comfort. They press more tightly on the sides of my head than I really like and the pleather pads and lack of air circulation makes my ears feel rather warm. The HD800 is much more comfortable and that’s real important to me.

I don’t know if I can keep these. On one hand, they are my second favourite headphone sound I have heard behind my HD800. But on the other hand, they are not the most comfortable headphone and require a dedicated, specialized (and huge) headphone amp. I would run out of desk space if I kept it around with my current setup. I bought them looking to replace my existing phones with something potentially cheaper but I don’t think I will ever find something to replace the HD800 without spending more money than I feel comfortable with. (like a stax SR-009 at 5K, lol)

Still, I think this type of mid-range Stax setup beats similarly priced “high end” dynamic cans if your goals are natural sound and a life like presentation. I can definitely appreciate the love behind Stax out there.

Good stuff. Yet to try a Stax yet. Though when I get back in to London I should finally be able to test a pair of SR-009's. I'd never buy a pair myself though, not even if I was filthy rich. Something about the SR-009's and the LCD-3's just rub me the wrong way. Just feel they're pushing the diminishing returns thing TOO far, and add to that the whole whole host of launch issues with both was woeful.

Yoritomo

Anyone eyeing the FiiO E17? I'm really interested after that review but $140 CAD, I don't know...

Absolutely. I'll order one as soon as more impressions surface. The fact that it docks with the e9 is awesome.

I'll just have to figure out what to do with my e7 when I get it.

LCfiner

Good stuff. Yet to try a Stax yet. Though when I get back in to London I should finally be able to test a pair of SR-009's. I'd never buy a pair myself though, not even if I was filthy rich. Something about the SR-009's and the LCD-3's just rub me the wrong way. Just feel they're pushing the diminishing returns thing TOO far, and add to that the whole whole host of launch issues with both was woeful.

I feel very similarly. The QC problems with the LCD3 has been really crazy. It seems worse than the kind of stuff people give Grado grief over.

And, even without those issues, the majority of impressions (not all, but most) have said it's a minor improvement over the LCD2. hardly a ringing endorsement for a 2 grand headphone.

I'd like to hear an SR-009 but I have no idea how rich I'd have to be in order to buy one and not feel "bad" about it. I also wonder if I would notice the improvement immediately over the HD800. (The more headphones I listen to, the more I love the HD800. I thank my lucky stars I picked one up used at a good price. I'm not sure if anything will unseat it)

Thank you for this thread.

I was looking for a cheapish but decent pair of IEMs to use purely for my 3DS since my existing pair had a straight jack [like iPod ear buds] and that was making it awkward to play the 3DS from a practical standpoint.

So I had a look in this thread not expecting any guidance at the sort of budget I was looking for and was pleasantly surprised to see just what I was looking for i.e. suggestions of what to buy, where from [with links] and tiers of quality/price. This was most helpful so thank you :).

I decided on a pair of BRAINWAVZ M2 IEM Earphones and I must say I have been absolutely delighted with them. For just under £30 they were a steal and I couldn't argue that twice the price would have left me disgruntled. For my purposes i.e. an IEM purely for my 3DS, they are pretty much perfect so again, thank you :). Ironically I know use the Hori Wheel and I could probably get away with using my existing IEMs but I am so happy with my new pair that I don't regret the purchase a jot!

At some point I will want to treat myself to a new pair of headphones [or two :p] so I definitely know where to go!

ty_hot

My Fiio E6 arrived yesterday. My sennheiser HD201 sounds much louder and with the same great quality. I can finally listen to music in my phone without problems. :)

Hywe9.jpg
I know these are a pretty iconic set of Stax phones, but got damn, the difference between these and the SR-007 Mk. II aesthetically are like night and day. Probably not a fair comparison as the Mk. II are probably one of the most beautiful phones out there, but still WTF

Arcteryx

fellow head-fier here, branching out to some other forums ;)

Recently decided to pick up some quality iems, after moving to a new place and walking more (= more time to listen to music, rather than commute).

Decided to go with the Westone UM2: really impressed so far with them. Been trying out different tips, settled on the medium Olives, pretty great balance (Complys muffled the highs a bit for me). Definitely some nice iems for the bargain I got them at (local Westone dealer was clearing some stock for $150 off usual online prices).

But as always, the head-fi bug is kicking in, and I'm already researching custom iems :( lol

As for cans, I've got some HD600s that I ABSOLUTELY adore. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

Recently decided to pick up some quality iems, after moving to a new place and walking more (= more time to listen to music, rather than commute).

Decided to go with the Westone UM2: really impressed so far with them. Been trying out different tips, settled on the medium Olives, pretty great balance (Complys muffled the highs a bit for me). Definitely some nice iems for the bargain I got them at (local Westone dealer was clearing some stock for $150 off usual online prices).

But as always, the head-fi bug is kicking in, and I'm already researching custom iems :( lol

As for cans, I've got some HD600s that I ABSOLUTELY adore. Some of the best money I've ever spent.
There was a guy on HF selling his ES5 for only $500 or so. God, I should have jumped on them and sold off some of my iems later on. That is an absolutely stupid good price for them

Fou-Lu

Think the fact that one of the buds on my M3s snapped in half at the seam will be covered by warranty? Otherwise I'm going to be dropping my Vita preorder for some new headphones, which I'd prefer not to do.

Alucrid

Banned

Hm. Did you have to alter the olives at all for them to fit on your IEMs? I was putting some on my Eternas and it was near impossible to do. I had to cut the plastic bit in the middle so it could stretch on to them.

Echoes

If you want smoother, more laid back or less vivid high's, definitely go for the LCD-2's. T1's high's are far more extended. Still sweet, but more likely to be sibilant over the LCD-2's on certain rarer tracks, especially based on your description

Sweet! Thanks. Any penalty from ordering via eBay? Woo Audio *might* not ship to me.

--

What's the best portable amp? My IEMs are TripleFi, Senn CX980i, and Klipsch X10. I mainly use the TripleFi. Are FiiO the best (E17?) or do people talk about them because their products are affordable? I'd like to get a portable amp and I'm wondering. Budget is open.

nib95

Banned
Sweet! Thanks. Any penalty from ordering via eBay? Woo Audio *might* not ship to me.

--

What's the best portable amp? My IEMs are TripleFi, Senn CX980i, and Klipsch X10. I mainly use the TripleFi. Are FiiO the best (E17?) or do people talk about them because their products are affordable? I'd like to get a portable amp and I'm wondering. Budget is open.

I know it might seem like I splurge cash around like candy, but it's really only to get a sense of how far things go, and how the audiophile journey really scales. I still, deep down, believe that much of the audiophile world is a giant joke where marketing and consumer prices have gotten rabidly out of control.

My advice is to honestly just grab a JDS cMoyBB for portable IEM use and be done with it. Honestly, it's not that far off some of the more expensive portables. In-fact, it actually does some things better.

Point is, unless your portable amp needs to be powering high end cans (I sometimes take my gear to my other half's and as such need powerful portable gear to use with my larger cans, that isn't actually strictly for portable, or should I say, mobile use), the JDS will be more than ample. It's my go to portable amp for my W4's despite owning a fair few others.

If you don't like the idea of using a mint tin for an amp, or want to push the boat further but still maintain some value for money, your best bet is probably the new JDS c421 or one of Fiio's new products.

Echoes

Thank you guys. I like the JDS cMoyBB but I'm going to order E11 right now since it's aesthetically more appealing (I use an iPhone).

It's gonna be a great month for the audiophile in me!

nib95

Banned
Thank you guys. I like the JDS cMoyBB but I'm going to order E11 right now since it's aesthetically more appealing (I use an iPhone).

It's gonna be a great month for the audiophile in me!

Bear in mind, the cMoy imo sounds slightly better than the E11. The cMoy's bass is a touch on the soft side, but the soundstage with it seems wider and instrumentals a touch more articulate. E11 from what I can remember is slightly warmer sounding, has a touch more noise and is less detailed, clean or spacious. Depending on the kind of sound you want, either will suit you well and there's not a lot of difference between them to be honest, but sonically, the cMoy is imo superior.

Echoes

Oh, yeah, one last thing.

I record a podcast, and (obviously) the Denon aren't really suitable for that; I have to set the volume way down when recording, as the mic usually picks up the sound. Are the Sennheiser HD-280 good for this situation? Note that I suspect I'll be using them for anything but recording, so what I really care about is comfort and isolation. My sister has a Bose QuietComfort but, ironically, it's not comfortable for me. I could sit for up to 4 hours in a recording session, so comfort is a vital part.

I love the HD-280 because you can fold them and therefore preserve more workspace, which is ideal for my small desk (2 headphones [and soon 3] with an amp is too much). Should I go for them, or does anyone has other recommendations? I heard the Sony MDR7506 is good for recording as well.

Edit: Thanks for your input nib95, I guess I'll pick up the cMoy since they're about the same price. I'm just not sure which version to get (there are 4 on the site)...

Mistle

Just ordered a pair of ATH-M50's after months of deliberation. Unfortunately I couldn't try them out anywhere but the internet pretty much universally recommends them. I'll be using them for recording/mixing on the computer (thus the flat response will be great), but mainly just music listening from iPhone. Hopefully they sound amazing in both regards.

I currently own ES7's, which I really do like (and will continue to use for portability sake), but I want something with a tad more bass and "fuller" sound, which these apparently have. Can't wait to hear them.

Darklord

Banned
I got the E10 today. It seems...not that great. I can boost the sound higher and it can handle that better but the clarity of my headphones aren't as good and things just come off a bit rougher. I used the "rock" setting on the realtek controls, is there a way to get something similar on this? Because basically, it feels like everything went back to default.

Nopren

After being in possession of the TMA-1's for over a year, they finally sent my replacement headband. My pair was part of their first production, and therefore built with a headband that would be fit for a life-size bobble-head.
Oh well, new headband fits much better, and celebrated my now usable headphones with some Party Rock Anthem, and holy shit, dat BASS. My HD25 I-II might have to take a rest for a while.

Internet high five! Got mine on right now listening to some mixes from the Groundbreaking Electronic Music thread. What have you listened to? What do you think?

Internet high five! Got mine on right now listening to some mixes from the Groundbreaking Electronic Music thread. What have you listened to? What do you think?

I mostly listened to Hip-Hop on my way home and they're fantastic, exactly the right amount of bass. Always bugged me out when I tried the Dr. Dre beats. Justice blew me the fuck away though. Good lord I got goosebumps. I can't recommend these headphones enough.

thatbox

Banned
I got the E10 today. It seems...not that great. I can boost the sound higher and it can handle that better but the clarity of my headphones aren't as good and things just come off a bit rougher. I used the "rock" setting on the realtek controls, is there a way to get something similar on this? Because basically, it feels like everything went back to default.

Make sure your E10's bass boost is on, and/or use a software EQ.

LCfiner

hmm.

I had an E10 for a while and I never noticed anything sounding "rough". It produced a pretty neutral amplification (bass boost off). I certainly didn't notice details being lost compared to other, more expensive amp/dacs I've tried.

Do you know how that rock setting in software adjusts the frequency curve? typically, rock EQ boosts bass and treble in a V shape. so those extra levels for the treble might give the impression of more detail since those little details are just louder. just a thought - I don't know if that's the case you have here.

Darklord

Banned
hmm.

I had an E10 for a while and I never noticed anything sounding "rough". It produced a pretty neutral amplification (bass boost off). I certainly didn't notice details being lost compared to other, more expensive amp/dacs I've tried.

Do you know how that rock setting in software adjusts the frequency curve? typically, rock EQ boosts bass and treble in a V shape. so those extra levels for the treble might give the impression of more detail since those little details are just louder. just a thought - I don't know if that's the case you have here.

Rough was the wrong word. It didn't sound as clear as when using realtek. It sounded more muffled and when testing movies I found it to be better without the E10. maybe it is the treble, is there anyway to change that with an E10?

LCfiner

Rough was the wrong word. It didn't sound as clear as when using realtek. It sounded more muffled and when testing movies I found it to be better without the E10. maybe it is the treble, is there anyway to change that with an E10?

no, you can't adjust the treble with the E10. there's only a bass boost. treble adjustment would need EQ - either software or hardware. (or new headphones, lol. Grado for life)

Gila

Any of you guys have the klipsch s4i? I'm thinking about buying T-100 comply foam tips, cause the silicon tips that come with the s4i's are way too uncomfortable.

Should I do this?

Any of you guys have the klipsch s4i? I'm thinking about buying T-100 comply foam tips, cause the silicon tips that come with the s4i's are way too uncomfortable.

Should I do this?

Comply's are real comfy, but there's a certain model that doesn't neuter the highs. Not sure if it's the T-100 or not, I'd do a little research before buying.

Ended up buying the cMoy v2.03 Amp to use at home with my desktop on-board sound card w/DT770 Pro, work with the Superlux 662's and the walk to work with the Marshal Majors.

So far tried it on the DT770 and Majors and its a world of difference so thanks the the recommendations in the OP, they have all turned out great.

This is the first time I've used a amp and I'm kinda blown away by the difference, even at this low level. Might invest in a more serious one for home and a dedicated sound card for the PC.

Highly recommend getting the/an amp for anyone on the fence.

Top Bottom