• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Kukuk

Banned
I don't know honestly. I work in a cubicle area though, so open might disturb the people around me. I'm not a professional sound mixer either, I work on animated films. So I'd like to use it for that, but mostly just want a more dynamic experience with sound than ipod earbuds I've been for years.

You could look into the AKG K81DJ's. They run about $50, and sound really nice. They actually do a lot well, for that matter. They have probably the best isolation in the sub-$100 price range, they are built very well, and of course, they sound nice. They are a touch on the bassy side, but their sound signature lends itself well for long listening times, without getting fatiguing.

Normally I'd recommend the Sony MDR-V6's for this price range, but their prices have been skyrocketing lately, and if you look around for cheaper prices, you have a very good chance of finding fakes.

If you want to save yourself some money, the Koss KSC-75's, despite their price, are a strong competitor in the sub-$100 price range. They are open, so you'd have to keep volume down, but they are balanced and detailed enough for amateur sound production.

Waikis

ha ha. yeah. that Isabellina is a sizeable investment and is gonna take a while to sell, I bet.

I would use it as a DAC for my stax but, frankly, since the balanced headphone amp is such a big part of the cost I can’t justify keeping it. Gotta get something that is more DAC than amp and recoup these costs.

the crazy side of me is saying that if I can’t sell the Isabellina within 6 months that I should just buy another balanced HD800 and use it for the bedroom setup.

I have never really paid any attention to the differences between dac, do you think that upgrading my dac from paradisea w/ a red bank tube to a RWA isabellina would have a significant improvement?

LCfiner

I have never really paid any attention to the differences between dac, do you think that upgrading my dac from paradisea w/ a red bank tube to a RWA isabellina would have a significant improvement?

significant? I highly doubt it.

I have not heard the paradisea but reviews of it make it seem like it has a similar signature as the isabellina dac. which is to say smooth and slightly warm. I have not read that your unit has problems with imaging or smearing details. those faults typically lie in cheap, built in dacs.

I've listened to a few high end DACs and plenty of low end ones, as well. with my hearing, I am not very sensitive to differences in DACs. I can define tonal shifts easily enough but all the good ones (HRT MS2+, Isabellina, headroom desktop dac) provide clear precise details and good wide soundstages (when I test with headphones that have a big soundstage) with clear imaging. That's really what I'm looking for. I've never listened to a high end DAC and thought one was clearly worse or better than another.

I am currently waiting on a used benchmark dac1 pre in shipping which is supposed to be about as neutral and uncolored as a DAC can be. if i can notice a difference over my current headroom unit as DAC, then it stays. if I can't (or if i dislike the tonality with my Woo GES), then it'll go on the sale block.

pax217

You could look into the AKG K81DJ's. They run about $50, and sound really nice. They actually do a lot well, for that matter. They have probably the best isolation in the sub-$100 price range, they are built very well, and of course, they sound nice. They are a touch on the bassy side, but their sound signature lends itself well for long listening times, without getting fatiguing.

Normally I'd recommend the Sony MDR-V6's for this price range, but their prices have been skyrocketing lately, and if you look around for cheaper prices, you have a very good chance of finding fakes.

If you want to save yourself some money, the Koss KSC-75's, despite their price, are a strong competitor in the sub-$100 price range. They are open, so you'd have to keep volume down, but they are balanced and detailed enough for amateur sound production.

Has anyone tried MonoPrice's DJ headphones yet? I might have to order a pair to see how they compare to the Hi-fi buds.

Alucrid

Banned
Anyone interested in like new M-50s? I've barely used them (owned for a year-ish) since I prefer and just bought new IEMs. $100 shipped (prefer US only). Can get pics tomorrow when I have a decent light source if needed.

Zeppelin

Hey headphone GAF,

I need a pair of really robust IEMs for work this summer. Does such a thing even exist? Sound quality is secondary but they need to fucking last.

Geneijin

Need suggestions. No larger than a $60 budget, preferably $50 or less. Definitely don't have a ton of money to spend at the moment, but want nice headphones for film mixing and such. As well as good sounding everyday use as I've never had good headphones before and feel like I've been missing out.
The CAD MH310.

I don't know... I might be prepared to break the $100 if I can be convinced they're really durable.

There are durable phones that you can get in that price bracket, but durability as a trait is pretty uneven across the board. I've spent $300+ on phones that have pretty questionable build quality, and by the same token, I've spent around $80 for phones that have superb build quality so... it definitely varies. I will say that the vast majority of issues come from phones shorting out due to poor strain relief/thin wires, so it's best to go with a pair of phones where you can replace the cable in the event that that does occur. At the 100+ mark, you should probably look at the Shure SE215, the Sony Ex600 and if possible, the Panasonic HJE900. Out of the three, the Panasonic probably has one of the best build qualities I've ever come across. The driver housings are made of cubic zircon, and the detachable cable is really beefy featuring great strain relief and metal jacks. It's hard to come across these days unless you're willing to buy preowned, which I was able to find a pair on Head-Fi for $90 shipped about a year ago. Otherwise, I'd look at either the Sony or the Shure

Zeppelin

There are durable phones that you can get in that price bracket, but durability as a trait is pretty uneven across the board. I've spent $300+ on phones that have pretty questionable build quality, and by the same token, I've spent around $80 for phones that have superb build quality so... it definitely varies. I will say that the vast majority of issues come from phones shorting out due to poor strain relief/thin wires, so it's best to go with a pair of phones where you can replace the cable in the event that that does occur. At the 100+ mark, you should probably look at the Shure SE215, the Sony Ex600 and if possible, the Panasonic HJE900. Out of the three, the Panasonic probably has one of the best build qualities I've ever come across. The driver housings are made of cubic zircon, and the detachable cable is really beefy featuring great strain relief and metal jacks. It's hard to come across these days unless you're willing to buy preowned, which I was able to find a pair on Head-Fi for $90 shipped about a year ago. Otherwise, I'd look at either the Sony or the Shure

Good advice. Like you say, it's the wires I'm worried about. I'm very likely to get tangled up into them in my job. I'll check out the ones you suggested. Thank you!

Good advice. Like you say, it's the wires I'm worried about. I'm very likely to get tangled up into them in my job. I'll check out the ones you suggested. Thank you!

If you buy through Amazon, you might want to invest in a warranty (accidental damage protection). It helped me out with my last pair.

No prob. Oh and Shure has a 2 yr. warranty on their products if I'm not mistaken. I don't know exactly what is covered, but that is worth looking into as well

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

4c812b38_IMG_7911.jpeg

0e684362_IMG_7936.jpeg

Detox

Broke my 4th buds in 6 months. I have no idea what it is I only use them while commuting with my iPod tucked in my right pocket. I then stuff the headphones in my pocket once I get to my destination not really being delicate with it. Without fail one ear fails and then the other follows. I'm thinking of going for the tma1's because cans might have better cable quality? I'd like to know if they leak a lot of noise - don't want to disturb everyone around me and how stylish are they if I'm going to be wearing them out? Other suggestions for headphones with good cable quality, buds or cans will be also be appreciated.

^ Judging from your post, it has more to do with your usage habits than your buds being poorly made. I'm not just saying that, cause I've actually managed to short out a pair of JVC FX500s doing the exact same thing you did, and at $150, those were definitely one of the more well made pair of phones I've encountered. No matter how well made a pair of phones appears to be, you still ought to treat your gear with care and respect, especially if they are a bit of an investment.

You can even get a pair of apple buds to last a while by carefully winding them up and storing them in a case when not in use, and using them with a right angle plug adapter. The majority of shorts occurr due to failure at stress points near the jack or near the cable entry on the driver housings. That's why these areas feature some form of strain relief (.usually rubber tubing or some variation on that) to reinforce those common failure points. Even so, you put a lot of unnecessary strain on the cable when you just shove it in your pocket, which causes it to get kinked up in your pocket and tangled, and you untangle them later... Repeat that over the span of several months and the wiring will fail.

To add to that, a lot of manufacturers still use a straight plug design which causes unnecessary strain to the jack when it's in your pocket. The jack is just sticking straight up, so the point beyond the jack, gets bent at all these severe angles when you move around or sit down. If you're gonna keep your phone in your pocket, I'd advise you to get a right angle plug adapter.

If you wanna go the full sized can route, then the TMA will probably suit you well. It features a detachable cable design should your cable fail.

Detox

Thanks for the detailed reply. The detachable cord sounds perfect for undoubtedly another cord I will eventually break. Beyond that what should I do with the cans and the cord when I'm not using them? In most classes I could just place them on the table but when I need to put them away does it come with a case?

Coil up the cable when you're not using it. The TMA's body is very tough and durable, so you don't have a whole lot to worry about there, just don't toss them in the bottom of your backpack, and shove books on top. They don't come with a hard case, just a zip pouch, but it doesn't hurt to invest in something more secure since you did drop the dough for them and want them to last.

LeleSocho

Banned
Weird request: there is any headphone that are wireless but with a receiver with a 3.5mm jack to use it with my computer/ipod nano whatever i want??

Right, I want to increase my audio experience at home, don't have the ability to set up my awesome hifi where I'm living at the moment.

So I have a maximum of £50, am looking for some over head's, I mainly listen to hip hop/rap and electronic music. I don't have to worry too much about sound isolation as these will only be used at home, so opened or closed I don't mind. I just want to get the best sound I can get for that price.

Thanks

frostbyte

I got Beats Solo as a present from my uncle. From what I've heard, these apparently are pretty bad. Could people tell me how bad these really are? and are they fragile? Also, the headphones were $130. Was that overpriced?

Kukuk

Banned
I got Beats Solo as a present from my uncle. From what I've heard, these apparently are pretty bad. Could people tell me how bad these really are? and are they fragile? Also, the headphones were $130. Was that overpriced?

Do you like them? I wouldn't worry too much how they stack up to other headphones if you like them.

The general consensus is that they do have pretty poor build quality, but if they have a good warranty you might not need to worry about it.

Trojita

I tried to use my shure In Ear Headphones that I got awhile ago, but man they sounded like shit after using my HD598's. I don't know if maybe I didn't have them in all the way or had the wrong ear piece on the end, but the whole time I was thinking I needed an AMP or something.

Thing is they were pretty damn top of the line when I got them.

LCfiner

I tried to use my shure In Ear Headphones that I got awhile ago, but man they sounded like shit after using my HD598's. I don't know if maybe I didn't have them in all the way or had the wrong ear piece on the end, but the whole time I was thinking I needed an AMP or something.

Then perhaps you did need an amp. :) high end IEMs can benefit from a dedicated amp.

although I haven’t heard a good IEM that sounded like shit without one. the amp might clean up some details and expand soundstage but it won’t totally reinvent the sound of an IEM.

keep in mind that the 598 are pretty good and very few IEMs have the same kind of open, airy sound you get from open ear cans like the 598.

Trojita

I found the name of the IEM's. They are the Shure SCL4. I got them on sale, but hadn't used them too much even though I bought them back in 2008.

It's not that Beats Solos are bad, so much as they represent a rather poor value in terms of price/performance ratio. The thing is, you can get phones in that price range that would smack the Solos in terms of balance, resolution, etc., but until you hear those things yourself, you might not be able to appreciate that sort of sound. Even after hearing it, you might not learn to appreciate it. Most consumers have this sort of mentality engrained into their subconscious that more bass=better. It doesn't seem to matter whether the bass is well defined, or possesses texture, or whether it bleeds into the midrange obscuring the rest of the sound, it's just that more=better. When you experience something more balanced, you might not be impressed by it at the onset, because it's not bludgeoning you with copious amounts of bass, but you do start to realize that you can hear much more detail in your music, like going from an oversaturated SD TV to an HDTV. Some people are never able to really wrap their head around that, and that's okay, but you do miss out on a great deal of how music ought to sound, listening to phones that have a severe frequency curve.

The vast majority of IEMs are never going to really need an amp to shine, so it's either the fit (get some more tips to experiment with) or the phones themselves. Being Shure, depending upon when you got them, the tech might be pretty outdated. Shure hasn't really kept up with the IEM game, their best phones are the SE215, and the 535, both of which are relatively recent, the SE215 is a pretty great value, the 535 I consider to be pretty damned overpriced. Stuff like the e2C, E3c, E4c etc. have long been surpassed by a recent wave of phones that cost quite a bit less than those phones did at retail.

Edit: the SCL-4 is just the E4c in a different housing, so yeah, old single armature tech. You can get good performance out of a single armature, but it requires really careful tuning. These days, most manufacturers will opt for multiple armatures to cover various frequencies and use a crossover to blend it all together. You would generally get better performance across the spectrum this way. Even an early example such as the triplefi 10 would better the SCL4 in many ways, and you'll often see those on sale during Black Friday. Technology has improved quite a bit since the Tfi 10 then though, and while being sonically superior, they are pretty bulky and prone to a poor fit

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Thanks for the detailed reply. The detachable cord sounds perfect for undoubtedly another cord I will eventually break. Beyond that what should I do with the cans and the cord when I'm not using them? In most classes I could just place them on the table but when I need to put them away does it come with a case?

The TMA-1s as a unit are as close to unbreakable as any headphones can be, and the cord is too thick to do any damage, unless you swing swords like shinobi.

frostbyte

Do you like them? I wouldn't worry too much how they stack up to other headphones if you like them.

The general consensus is that they do have pretty poor build quality, but if they have a good warranty you might not need to worry about it.

They're ok but I think the bass is a bit too heavy though. I'm not particularly good at hearing these things though.

It's not that Beats Solos are bad, so much as they represent a rather poor value in terms of price/performance ratio. The thing is, you can get phones in that price range that would smack the Solos in terms of balance, resolution, etc., but until you hear those things yourself, you might not be able to appreciate that sort of sound. Even after hearing it, you might not learn to appreciate it. Most consumers have this sort of mentality engrained into their subconscious that more bass=better. It doesn't seem to matter whether the bass is well defined, or possesses texture, or whether it bleeds into the midrange obscuring the rest of the sound, it's just that more=better. When you experience something more balanced, you might not be impressed by it at the onset, because it's not bludgeoning you with copious amounts of bass, but you do start to realize that you can hear much more detail in your music, like going from an oversaturated SD TV to an HDTV. Some people are never able to really wrap their head around that, and that's okay, but you do miss out on a great deal of how music ought to sound, listening to phones that have a severe frequency curve.

Again, I think they're ok but the bass is a bit too heavy. My ears are untrained so I really am not sure if my judgement is right though. Could you recommend another pair of headphones that's in the same price range so I could compare the difference?

Thanks in advance.

Kukuk

Banned
You could try out something like the Ultrasone HFI-580. They still have a lot of bass, but not at the cost of the rest of the spectrum, it might give you the illusion that they have less bass.

This graph might give you an idea of what to expect:
graphcompare.png

Reading left to right, is frequency. Bass, mids, highs, and how far above or below the "0" line shows how far above or below neutral a frequency is. The graph shows that the mids and highs on the Solos is very, very recessed, while the bass is brought waaaay up.

The Ultrasones, in comparison, have a very balanced sound, with nothing going too terribly far from neutral.

So my buddy offered me a pair of astro 2011 a4s. I wanted only the amp, but he offered me both the headset and the amp.

I already have a pair of sennheiser hd 445s. They're not that high end, but they were my first pricey pair and I love how they sound. I heard an amp would do me good, but I'm not sure if I should bite for that astro headset.

I'd be doing this for mainly gaming, and music on the side. What do you guys think?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So my buddy offered me a pair of astro 2011 a4s. I wanted only the amp, but he offered me both the headset and the amp.

I already have a pair of sennheiser hd 445s. They're not that high end, but they were my first pricey pair and I love how they sound. I heard an amp would do me good, but I'm not sure if I should bite for that astro headset.

I'd be doing this for mainly gaming, and music on the side. What do you guys think?

Well... how much?

Presco

He was gonna charge me 200 for the headset and amp. 130 for the standalone amp if I buy it new. I haven't looked into it much but I read the headset isn't that great.

Skip or sell the headset, not worth it in the slightest. The mixamp isn't an "amp" in the traditional sense and it will be useless for powering phones. If you are buying it thinking you will get better performance of existing headphones or musical improvements in your listening experience then you are buying it for the wrong reasons.

It does directional sound in multiplayer FPS (or any game, really) very well. It does chat very well. It has an optical input. If those sound like selling points to you then buy it. It is great at what it does but it is not for everyone.

You could try out something like the Ultrasone HFI-580. They still have a lot of bass, but not at the cost of the rest of the spectrum, it might give you the illusion that they have less bass.

This graph might give you an idea of what to expect:
graphcompare.png

Reading left to right, is frequency. Bass, mids, highs, and how far above or below the "0" line shows how far above or below neutral a frequency is. The graph shows that the mids and highs on the Solos is very, very recessed, while the bass is brought waaaay up.

The Ultrasones, in comparison, have a very balanced sound, with nothing going too terribly far from neutral.

Good lord that frequency curve is rough. I actually took the liberty of going to Best Buy this afternoon and spending time with all of their demo headphone units. (Klipsch Image One, Skull Candy Aviator, Beats Solos, various Sony sets to name a few) I just had to crack a smile when I switched over from the severely EQ'd control "demo tracks" to my own iPhone. God damn, it was like someone flipped on a switch that totally sucked out the mids, threw a blanket on the highs, and jacked up the EQ on the bass. Across the board, all of the phones had terrible balance, claustrophobic soundstage, very low resolution, and had trouble resolving any songs outside of pop music, which is undoubtedly what they are tuned to perform best at. Rock, classical, jazz? Fugghedaboutit. The only decent set I encountered was a pair of Sony "studio phones" for $150, sad stuff all around, can't believe they are perpetuating this sort of scam and getting away with it :/

They're ok but I think the bass is a bit too heavy though. I'm not particularly good at hearing these things though.

Again, I think they're ok but the bass is a bit too heavy. My ears are untrained so I really am not sure if my judgement is right though. Could you recommend another pair of headphones that's in the same price range so I could compare the difference?

Sure, in that $200 price range, you can check out the aforementioned Ultrasone 580, Sennheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic DT880, TMA-1, or the AKG K701/2. If you're a little patient, you can frequently find all of the aforementioned in Head-Fi's For Sale section for about $200. In any case, whichever set you decide to go with, it should be quite easy for you to distinguish exactly what's different between your Beats and those phones. Should be night and day actually.

So I finally got my Blox M2C's in the mail and they are fucking amazing

Congrats. I recommended the M2Cs in the past but wasn't quite sure whether Blox was still selling them because every time I visited their site, it would say "sold out". Good to know they are still available

Septimius

So, I'm in a bind, GAF. Getting new DT 880s, but I'm not sure if I should go for the Pro or the "2005 Edition" version. I've figured the Pro clamps harder, and has the elements closer to the ears, meaning a closer sound-stage. I've heard a comparison that it's like sitting at the first row on a symphony, compared to some rows back (2005 edition).

The price difference is the least of my concern - I just can't really decide on which version to go for. I guess it's better for longer use (and I do use them long some times) to have less clamping - but I guess it's really all down to a 'up close', compressed sound-stage vs a more transparent, relaxed sound-stage. I am really not able to make a pick. I love the neutral, transparent sound of my 2003 DT 880s which broke. I'm guessing I'll end up changing the element that broke, earpads and head band at some point. It'll cost the same as half a new dt880 which is why I'm going for new ones.

I guess the fact that I can repair my old ones will give me a pair that has that transparent sound, so I can go for the pro and have one of each type. At the moment I'm using my audio-technica ATH-ESW9. They have a much more compressed sound, but in games that gives me better immersion, I think. I'm in the middle of everything.

But I don't like the coiled wire. Those are so 80s, and I somehow feel they break sooner than uncoiled ones. But I guess I can change them if need be.

Maybe this settled me a bit. Fixing up the old 2003s would give me two unique but fantastic headphones - then I could use the one suited for the situation. Does anyone have any input on the differences?

Oh, and I'm thinking of going Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for my new work/outside headset. Anything else I should consider in that price range? Looking for closed headphones.

matmanx1

I'm hoping my ASG-1's will ship today. Matt from Springtree said today would likely be my shipping day and I'm just one state south of him so that should make for a comparably short wait.

I've been holding off on Uncharted: Golden Abyss beyond the first couple of chapters just because I want to experience that game with my new IEMs. The music, in particular, is fantastic if poorly represented by my standard Apple phones. I can't wait to hear my music and games for the first time all over again.

The Boat

So I got a pair of Sennheiser HD 515, I know they're not super hot, but I found them for €40. The thing is, the sound from the left side is clearly "deeper" or louder, so I'm returning them. I guess I don't mind paying a bit more but I'd like something in the €50-€80 range.

I don't have any amp or good sound card, at least not yet and I'm gonna use them for pretty much everything: gaming, movies, shows and all sorts of music from hip-hop to metal. Any recommendations? Keep in mind I live in Portugal.

EDIT: These would be to use at home

All you guys expecting the ASG-1 should invest in some tips to experiment with. I've had good luck with the Meelectronics Double Flange (though I hear the Sennheisser one is even better), but I just got in the Comply T500 tip today and they sound the best to me with this tip, you sacrifice a bit of that soundstage size, but make gains in balance. I'm actually experiencing a layer of sound in the sub bass region I wasn't experiencing with the other tips, likely due to a less than perfect seal; the overall sound just seems more coherent to me. I'm assuming that this is the closest that you can get to the AS-1 in custom form, or an ASG-1 with custom tips.

Top Bottom