• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

I don't know much on the audio side as far as cans go,but I am looking for some new overhead headphones to use in the gym.some guys that I play ball with swear by the beats line but I am convinced they are just paying for the style.anything similar with good bass and good clarity for good gym use?

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Random question: Anyone have any good recommendations for on-ear/over-ear headphones that have amazing isolation and good sound-leak protection?

Me and in-ear headphones still don't seem to get along and I can't seem to find a reliable custom tip designers for these IE8s and have the process not last months to finally get them.

There's got to be something!

LCfiner

Random question: Anyone have any good recommendations for on-ear/over-ear headphones that have amazing isolation and good sound-leak protection?

Me and in-ear headphones still don't seem to get along and I can't seem to find a reliable custom tip designers for these IE8s and have the process not last months to finally get them.

not sure you'll find something better for your taste than the ultrasones you had before (did you sell them?)

As one extra option, the sennhesier HD-25-1 II have good isolation and are compact. you could trst those out as well (and they're usually found in best buy so it's easy to buy, then return if you don't like them)

Keylime

The Ultrasones didn't have good isolation/leakage-protection, though. They were fairly airy over the ear types. Great sound, just not so much a portable set of cans.

The M80 Crossfades that I have don't isolate that well...at least not nearly as well as my old Beats Solo did.

Trying to find something that's like glued to my head so I can hear myself breathe when I have them on...probably not a real thing, though.

LCfiner

The Ultrasones didn't have good isolation/leakage-protection, though. They were fairly airy over the ear types. Great sound, just not so much a portable set of cans.

The M80 Crossfades that I have don't isolate that well...at least not nearly as well as my old Beats Solo did.

Trying to find something that's like glued to my head so I can hear myself breathe when I have them on...probably not a real thing, though.

damn, dude... very specific requirement.

well, I had those Sennhesier's for a little while and they sure as hell clamped tight - leakage wouldn't be a problem. But I don't think you'll like their aesthetics or the sound (well, the sound isn't bad and it has a fun bass but I never thought it was all that great for the cost)

Keylime

Yeah...figured as much :/

Bleh!

Dumb question, but have you tried Comply tips? They're likely the closest you can get to a custom fit without dealing with molds. I never liked the T400s I got a few years back (they strangled the highs) , but they've introduced some new ones since. The T500s I recently got have a tapered, rounded tip that won't smother the highs while in your ear.

pax217

Had this issue for the short time I used the Altec Lansing UHP326s... but was uncomfortable as can be.

Keylime

Dumb question, but have you tried Comply tips? They're likely the closest you can get to a custom fit without dealing with molds. I never liked the T400s I got a few years back (they strangled the highs) , but they've introduced some new ones since. The T500s I recently got have a tapered, rounded tip that won't smother the highs while in your ear.

I'm using Comply T-500 tips now. The problem I have is that my ear canals are crazy apparently. In my left ear the medium ones are great. But in my right ear the medium ones aren't big enough. Jumping to the large makes the fit insanely insanely tight. I can't win!

I'm using Comply T-500 tips now. The problem I have is that my ear canals are crazy apparently. In my left ear the medium ones are great. But in my right ear the medium ones aren't big enough. Jumping to the large makes the fit insanely insanely tight. I can't win!

Hmmm, you definitely seem to have a similar problem to me. It's not terribly uncommon I think, it just makes it more difficult for us to get a seal than others. I'd probably try experimenting with tips for your "off" ear, you should be able to find something that would work. Have you tried double/tri flange tips? They are tapered, so you should be able to get a good seal regardless of the size of your ear canal.

Septimius

So, I'm in a bind, GAF. Getting new DT 880s, but I'm not sure if I should go for the Pro or the "2005 Edition" version. I've figured the Pro clamps harder, and has the elements closer to the ears, meaning a closer sound-stage. I've heard a comparison that it's like sitting at the first row on a symphony, compared to some rows back (2005 edition).

The price difference is the least of my concern - I just can't really decide on which version to go for. I guess it's better for longer use (and I do use them long some times) to have less clamping - but I guess it's really all down to a 'up close', compressed sound-stage vs a more transparent, relaxed sound-stage. I am really not able to make a pick. I love the neutral, transparent sound of my 2003 DT 880s which broke. I'm guessing I'll end up changing the element that broke, earpads and head band at some point. It'll cost the same as half a new dt880 which is why I'm going for new ones.

I guess the fact that I can repair my old ones will give me a pair that has that transparent sound, so I can go for the pro and have one of each type. At the moment I'm using my audio-technica ATH-ESW9. They have a much more compressed sound, but in games that gives me better immersion, I think. I'm in the middle of everything.

But I don't like the coiled wire. Those are so 80s, and I somehow feel they break sooner than uncoiled ones. But I guess I can change them if need be.

Maybe this settled me a bit. Fixing up the old 2003s would give me two unique but fantastic headphones - then I could use the one suited for the situation. Does anyone have any input on the differences?

Oh, and I'm thinking of going Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for my new work/outside headset. Anything else I should consider in that price range? Looking for closed headphones.

I still haven't really decided this.

Also, I tried buying the pro model from the only store in Norway that seems to have them, seems they were out of stock. I got an email from them explaining it, saying "If I were you, I'd buy the Ultrasound HFI-2400. They're cheaper and a lot better than the dt 880's."

I almost lost it. I told them to cancel the order and that I would do my business elsewhere. The fucking audacity and/or ignorance. I'm guessing ignorance.

Ashhong

I don't know much on the audio side as far as cans go,but I am looking for some new overhead headphones to use in the gym.some guys that I play ball with swear by the beats line but I am convinced they are just paying for the style.anything similar with good bass and good clarity for good gym use?

You know, I am starting to disagree with the notion that Beats users are paying for style. I think they just prefer that bass heavy warm sound signature. I know I love me some bass as well, and can barely appreciate the clarity that higher end phones provide. I would love some Beats, as it pretty much caters to my own taste. I imagine a lot of gym bros would like this too.

Septimius

You know, I am starting to disagree with the notion that Beats users are paying for style. I think they just prefer that bass heavy warm sound signature. I know I love me some bass as well, and can barely appreciate the clarity that higher end phones provide. I would love some Beats, as it pretty much caters to my own taste. I imagine a lot of gym bros would like this too.

It's paying for style because the sound they give off is not worth the money. That is, you can find headphones that give pretty much the exact same sound for less, or others for the same price that will give the same type of sound, only better

Ashhong

It's paying for style because the sound they give off is not worth the money. That is, you can find headphones that give pretty much the exact same sound for less, or others for the same price that will give the same type of sound, only better

This is extremely subjective. Like I said, maybe the sound signature the Beats have is perfect for someone, and they are willing to pay that price for that sound. I guess in some ways it is for style, but that's discounting the possibility that the person just really likes the sound.

icecream

Public Health Threat
You know, I am starting to disagree with the notion that Beats users are paying for style. I think they just prefer that bass heavy warm sound signature.
The thing with the Beats is you pay grossly for the style, and some decent bass-type headphones. If one doesn't mind paying for style, then it's not a problem. But for the value user, there are other choices for bassheads that can exceed its bass quality at the same pricepoint.

3N16MA

Banned

Many people who buy Beats buy them for their style and image. They have no clue about their warm sound signature. Bass heavy headphones are not hard to find.

Alucrid

Banned
This is extremely subjective. Like I said, maybe the sound signature the Beats have is perfect for someone, and they are willing to pay that price for that sound. I guess in some ways it is for style, but that's discounting the possibility that the person just really likes the sound.

He said the same sound signature as the beats, but better. That's not really subjective, unless said person enjoys mediocre sounding phones or something.

Many people who buy Beats buy them for their style and image. They have no clue about their warm sound signature. Bass heavy headphones are not hard to find.
All that needs to be said really. The average consumer views it as a life style accessory with the bonus of serving as a status symbol. These people aren't going to be researching alternative brands, as they just see celebs, athletes and musicians pimping them out, and that's good enough. There are plenty of other phones that offer a warm signature that is bass oriented, without sacrificing clarity as well. The Beats aren't the worst phones out there, but they aren't versatile in any sense and manage to sound only merely okay within a very limited subset of genres. The Sony XB500/700 offer a similarly bass heavy signature but cost much less and offer more clarity than the Beats. Both are available at Best Buy, but when confronted with this fact, I'd wager your average consumer will still elect to buy the Beats if they've got the cash to burn.

matmanx1

All you guys expecting the ASG-1 should invest in some tips to experiment with. I've had good luck with the Meelectronics Double Flange (though I hear the Sennheisser one is even better), but I just got in the Comply T500 tip today and they sound the best to me with this tip, you sacrifice a bit of that soundstage size, but make gains in balance. I'm actually experiencing a layer of sound in the sub bass region I wasn't experiencing with the other tips, likely due to a less than perfect seal; the overall sound just seems more coherent to me. I'm assuming that this is the closest that you can get to the AS-1 in custom form, or an ASG-1 with custom tips.

Evidently my ASG-1's got bumped back to this week before they will ship so I am still waiting but it's all good. I went ahead and ordered a Comply T500 multipack with one each of the different sizes so I can experiment for fit. I generally fall into the small to medium range on headphone tips but not having tried the Comply's before I wanted to cover my bases. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The Boat

So I got a pair of Sennheiser HD 515, I know they're not super hot, but I found them for €40. The thing is, the sound from the left side is clearly "deeper" or louder, so I'm returning them. I guess I don't mind paying a bit more but I'd like something in the €50-€80 range.

I don't have any amp or good sound card, at least not yet and I'm gonna use them for pretty much everything: gaming, movies, shows and all sorts of music from hip-hop to metal. Any recommendations? Keep in mind I live in Portugal.

EDIT: These would be to use at home

I would really appreciate some suggestions, I need to return them soon :)

LCfiner

For that price point I'd recommend the Sony EX600s (Dynamite, LC Finer back me up here) and spend your residual on an amp like the FiiO E6. The EX600s can be had for $130 new, and the E6 for $30.

I should pipe in and just say I am useless for recommending IEMs, lol. The only ones that fit well in my ears (and sound the way I like - open and airy) are Grado GR8 or GR10. Before those, the only ones I used and could recommend were triple.fi 10 and Westone 3.

luffeN

Ok, I need some help. Can't decide between these two headsets:

Sennheiser

Steelseries

I usually only buy Sennheisers but the steelseries look nice and both are rated well.

I can definitely recommend the Steelseries headset. I have been using them for gaming on PC (are you going to use it for that?), watching movies and listening to music until I switched to a different setup. If you have pretty big ears, then maybe the Sennheisers are a better choice. But I didn't like the overall sound when I tested them at a friend. The Sennheisers kind of need more power / volume to get a good sound, but the testing happened quite a while ago, so I could be talking nonsense xD. Have you considered going for the USB version of the Steelseries?

3N16MA

Banned
Xf4VCl.jpg

Looking into the Fidelio L1 as a possible replacement for my HD 555. Initial reviews seem positive and it's build quality seems excellent. Disappointed by the quality control issues involving the HE-400 and not impressed by the CS responses on Head-Fi.

Alucrid

Banned
All you guys expecting the ASG-1 should invest in some tips to experiment with. I've had good luck with the Meelectronics Double Flange (though I hear the Sennheisser one is even better), but I just got in the Comply T500 tip today and they sound the best to me with this tip, you sacrifice a bit of that soundstage size, but make gains in balance. I'm actually experiencing a layer of sound in the sub bass region I wasn't experiencing with the other tips, likely due to a less than perfect seal; the overall sound just seems more coherent to me. I'm assuming that this is the closest that you can get to the AS-1 in custom form, or an ASG-1 with custom tips.

Yeah, tips have been a problem for me. I feel like I need longer tips since the headphones kinda sit in the outer-ear area. Gonna buy a pair of the T500 and see how they fare and gonna check out the head-fi thread for other suggestions.

LCfiner

Xf4VCl.jpg

Looking into the Fidelio L1 as a possible replacement for my HD 555. Initial reviews seem positive and it's build quality seems excellent. Disappointed by the quality control issues involving the HE-400 and not impressed by the CS responses on Head-Fi.

I really like the look of those. I really don’t need any new headphones but these look sweet.

I’ve read that they have pretty dark sound signature - maybe a bit too much for my taste - but I’d love to try them out.

maybe an apple store will have a demo pair.

So I picked up a pair of the monoprice iems but can't really get them to fit for proper isolation. I checked out the head-fi thread for eartip ideas but wanted to know if anyone here has any other suggestions.

My ear canals are on the small side so I definitely prefer either bi-flange or tri-flange for good isolation.

Thanks!

Yeah, tips have been a problem for me. I feel like I need longer tips since the headphones kinda sit in the outer-ear area. Gonna buy a pair of the T500 and see how they fare and gonna check out the head-fi thread for other suggestions.

Tips are a big deal with the ASG-1, moreso than any other phones I've ever come across. I ended up trimming the excess length from the T500 tip to where the inner tube ended and it has been working well for me. The phones fit flush, I get the bass without sacrificing the highs and other micro details that can get lost due to the sound tube getting compressed while in your ear

3N16MA

Banned
I really like the look of those. I really don’t need any new headphones but these look sweet.

I’ve read that they have pretty dark sound signature - maybe a bit too much for my taste - but I’d love to try them out.

maybe an apple store will have a demo pair.

Apple store seems to be the only place that has them right now so I will be looking to see if they have demo pair next time I visit.

Hello guys,
my old headset is dead so I need a new pair. I need big pair (covering the entire ear and not press it) mic is not necessary but I would like one.

Now the biggest question is wireless or not... Heard a lot about how you can hear "static" when using wireless headphones. Not sure how bad it is but still...

Price: Around 150€ tops

Thank you for your time!

*edit*
I can choose from these ones:
http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.aspx?mfr=&bn=10128&sortBy=p&sortOrder=d&zbo2=true

darkandroid

Neo Member
I own the Audio Technica M50, Sennheiser HD 598, and Shure SRH 940, and all of these headphones are great in their own right and have their specific strengths and weaknesses, but as of late out of the three, the M50 has been getting more use, which I use in conjunction with my E7/E9 combo DAC/amp. Probably because of the more pronounced bass impact the M50 has, which goes along well with alot of the pop, electronic and dubstep I've been listening to lately. If I were to compare the three headphones, it would be something like this

Comfort - Sennheiser HD 598 (by FAR) > Audio Technica M50 > Shure SRH 940
Bass Impact - Audio Technica M50 > Sennheiser HD 598 > Shure SRH 940
Bass Detail and Extension - Shure SRH 940 > Sennheiser HD 598 > Audio Technica M50
Overall Detail/Resolution - Shure SRH 940 > Sennheiser HD 598 > Audio Technica M50
Highs/Treble - Shure SRH 940 > Sennheiser HD 598 > Audio Technica M50
Mids - Cant really say....
Soundstage - Sennheiser HD 598 > Shure SRH 940 > Audio Technica M50
Vocal Clarity - Shure SRH 940 > Sennheiser HD 598 > Audio Technica M50

btw, I think we can all agree that the Beats By Dre line of headphones sounds terrible with its mediocre mids and highs and bloated bass, and is overpriced, at least from the sound quality angle. Its just that Monster has better marketing and branding than the other high-end headphone manufacturers. They are stylish looking tho. :)

darkandroid

Neo Member
I usually see the M50s around 120 on Amazon. I'd wait a little, they seem to fluctuate alot.

thats a pretty good deal, I got mine last year around September for about $160, and I would of gladly paid more for them. They are a terrific sounding headphone after burn-in.

accx

Hello guys,
my old headset is dead so I need a new pair. I need big pair (covering the entire ear and not press it) mic is not necessary but I would like one.

Now the biggest question is wireless or not... Heard a lot about how you can hear "static" when using wireless headphones. Not sure how bad it is but still...

Price: Around 150€ tops

Thank you for your time!

*edit*
I can choose from these ones:
http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.aspx?mfr=&bn=10128&sortBy=p&sortOrder=d&zbo2=true

If you're going for a headset with mic i can vouch for the Sennheiser Pc360.
According to reviews and from my friends the mic is one of the best (if not the best) on the market when looking at headsets and i believe it has the same cans as the Sennheiser 595 (which iirc are highly regarded). I can't remember if it was the 595 and can't seem to find any info atm..
They're super comfortable but one thing to note is that they're open headphones so everyone in near vicinity will hear what you're hearing.
They are expensive though.

I've had my sennheiser hd25-1 II for a couple of weeks now (mainly for dj'ing) and i looove the sound. such clarity. I don't have much to compare to though. They block out pretty much all background noise. Not super comfortable even though i have quite small ears.
Highly recommended!

Alucrid

Banned
Tips are a big deal with the ASG-1, moreso than any other phones I've ever come across. I ended up trimming the excess length from the T500 tip to where the inner tube ended and it has been working well for me. The phones fit flush, I get the bass without sacrificing the highs and other micro details that can get lost due to the sound tube getting compressed while in your ear

Yeah, the way the phones sit is way different that any others I've had so no tips have really given me a great seal. Well, good enough to really compare it to the CK-10s. I just ordered a multi-pack of T500s though so I hope that these fit well. Any tips for the memory wire? I guess I need to just take the time to bend them into place so they don't stick out.

matmanx1

Got my ASG-1's yesterday and although I had very limited time to use them so far I can say that I am so far very, very impressed. For such little devices the sound coming out of them is absolutely HUGE and there's an impressive clarity to all ranges of the audio spectrum. I'm not used to being able to actually clearly hear low frequencies with earbuds and that is definitely not the case with the ASG-1's.

As others have mentioned already the build quality of the ASG-1's is excellent and the included Otter Box is a very nice touch. And surprisingly enough the included medium tips actually gave me a really nice seal although I'm still going to experiment with the Comply's I bought just for the sake of comparison.

I obviously need lots more time with the ASG-1's to really get to know them but right out of the box I already love the sound I'm getting. Very impressive product.

I just got the M50s and I'm in EARGASM HEAVEN. I had to find a replacement for my old Sony MDR 7506 but they are very hard to find now for a reasonable price. The Audio Technicas, though, blow them way out of the water. I used to get mid-range fatigue with the 7506, but the M50s is smooth as butter and I can listen for hours. Still could use some burn-in on the edges though.

I own the Audio Technica M50, Sennheiser HD 598, and Shure SRH 940, and all of these headphones are great in their own right and have their specific strengths and weaknesses, but as of late out of the three, the M50 has been getting more use, which I use in conjunction with my E7/E9 combo DAC/amp. Probably because of the more pronounced bass impact the M50 has, which goes along well with alot of the pop, electronic and dubstep I've been listening to lately. If I were to compare the three headphones, it would be something like this

Comfort - Sennheiser HD 598 (by FAR) > Audio Technica M50 > Shure SRH 940
Bass Impact - Audio Technica M50 > Sennheiser HD 598 > Shure SRH 940
Bass Detail and Extension - Shure SRH 940 > Sennheiser HD 598 > Audio Technica M50
Overall Detail/Resolution - Shure SRH 940 > Sennheiser HD 598 > Audio Technica M50
Highs/Treble - Shure SRH 940 > Sennheiser HD 598 > Audio Technica M50
Mids - Cant really say....
Soundstage - Sennheiser HD 598 > Shure SRH 940 > Audio Technica M50
Vocal Clarity - Shure SRH 940 > Sennheiser HD 598 > Audio Technica M50

The HD598 is open circumaural as opposed to closed for the M50s and SRH 940, so the Sennheisers should sound drastically different. I find open circumaurual to be much better for movies/games while closed is better for music (although many classical aficionados like the ambience of open).

Got my ASG-1's yesterday and although I had very limited time to use them so far I can say that I am so far very, very impressed. For such little devices the sound coming out of them is absolutely HUGE and there's an impressive clarity to all ranges of the audio spectrum. I'm not used to being able to actually clearly hear low frequencies with earbuds and that is definitely not the case with the ASG-1's.

As others have mentioned already the build quality of the ASG-1's is excellent and the included Otter Box is a very nice touch. And surprisingly enough the included medium tips actually gave me a really nice seal although I'm still going to experiment with the Comply's I bought just for the sake of comparison.

I obviously need lots more time with the ASG-1's to really get to know them but right out of the box I already love the sound I'm getting. Very impressive product.

Yeah, definitely experiment with the T500s. What I did was I bought a 3 pack of the medium sized tips from Amazon so I would have tips to experiment with. I took an Xacto blade and trimmed the tip down to where the inner tube ended, so that the phones sit flush, and had a more shallow seal. I got the best sound this way, all of the bass impact is preserved without sacrificing clarity, separation, highs, or micro details. It doesn't sound as spacious as the dual flange tips, since that puts the drivers at a considerable distance from your ears, but it's the most balanced sound I was able to achieve.

And I'm glad you find them as Impressive as I do. The bass and separation are really impressive. They seem to be able to slice through the most dense recordings with ease. They don't sound as big as the SM3s to me, as the sound isn't as enveloping, but they are pretty close. I can not wait for Dale to announce the dual driver version, that should place them within the customs ballpark, along with say... The top of the line dynamic custom MG6Pro.

Alucrid - yeah, the T500s should definitely help you out. I had a tough time getting a proper fit with my regular arsenal of tips too. It's the angle that the phones sit at, that is causing that. And do bend the memory wire around your ear once they are seated, they should hold that shape afterwards and you'll be able to pop them in without incident .

Hopefully Pax gets his soon too.

pax217

Hopefully Pax gets his soon too.

I haven't even ordered mine yet. I got the refund for the EX600s, though. I meant to order them by the end of last month but have been drowning at work. I even have Springtree's number saved in my phone, just haven't thought to make the call.

I should order a set of T500's as well, I take it?

Septimius

So, having gone through a process of buying new headphones, as we've all experienced, my response was noticing what people on the street were using. Walking outside some yesterday gave me a final tally of 10 headphones.

1 Studio beats
8 regular beats (and I found the one that's ugliest. Grey. Ugh)
1 DT770

and the only guy I saw wearing earplugs were beats, too.

The fuck. I hate how efficient marketing is.

I was thinking about buying the M50s if I can get a good price on them. They seem to be a pretty good buy if i want to use them for my ipod touch and computer, correct? I've heard tons of good things about them and i'm tired of using my crappy earphones lol.

pax217

The fuck. I hate how efficient marketing is.

...or how ignorant society is. I had to study marketing for six months before beginning my graduate program (in Finance); all I learned was that there are some products that work and will sell themselves to everyone, and then there are products that don't and the stupid consumer will buy them... and there are a lot of stupid consumers. I guess more power to the one who can exploit the inefficiency in [Western] society.

Top Bottom