• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

pax217

I was thinking about buying the M50s if I can get a good price on them. They seem to be a pretty good buy if i want to use them for my ipod touch and computer, correct? I've heard tons of good things about them and i'm tired of using my crappy earphones lol.

Yeah, consider something like a $30 FiiO E6 as a complement to them, too.

Just did a quick search, the lowest I could find a new pair of M50's is $140.

I was thinking about buying the M50s if I can get a good price on them. They seem to be a pretty good buy if i want to use them for my ipod touch and computer, correct? I've heard tons of good things about them and i'm tired of using my crappy earphones lol.

I think GAF member Alucrid is selling his for a hundo. Might be worth looking into if you don't mind they're used

Ashhong

Yeah, consider something like a $30 FiiO E6 as a complement to them, too.

Just did a quick search, the lowest I could find a new pair of M50's is $140.

I find the M50 pretty lacking with my E5. I haven't tested the E6 though. The E10 was barely passable, and the E11 does the trick for me.

pax217

I find the M50 pretty lacking with my E5. I haven't tested the E6 though. The E10 was barely passable, and the E11 does the trick for me.

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it, I've found there's a pretty strong difference between the E5 and E6-- but would you at least say the M50s are better with the E5 than without an amp at all? He's going to be using them primarily for portable uses, so I hesitate to recommend anything larger than an E6.

Ashhong

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it, I've found there's a pretty strong difference between the E5 and E6-- but would you at least say the M50s are better with the E5 than without an amp at all? He's going to be using them primarily for portable uses, so I hesitate to recommend anything larger than an E6.

Honestly the E5 just made them louder, which I think a lot of reviews about the E5 state as well. I didn't notice any increase in "quality". The E6 is supposed to improve on that, so maybe it will be enough. The E11 is pretty portable as well though.

Then again, if his MP3 player supports it, a little equalizer tweaking with the E6 will probably be more than enough.

So, just ordered a Cowon J3 to replace my dead iPod Classic.

Anyone know if I should expect much of a difference in sound quality using my Beyer DT250 80ohm and/or Audio Technica ATH ES7s?

neos

My sennheiser hd 457 are at the end of their life, i recently bought a pair of akg k512 but i discovered i don't feel comfortable with closed headphones, mainly because i wear glasses.
However, the akg didn't click with me, the high was good but the mids and the lows was crap (My impression, maybe i'm only used to the hd457 which has prominent bass and i can't judge correctly).

So i'm serching for some advice, for a good couple of open headphones, i will only use them connected to a Logitech z5450 surround system for gaming, movies and music.
If not perfectly balanced, i'd prefer the one with better bass part. I have no amp and i can't go over the €200 budget, so if you want me to get an amp i'll need a cheaper gear!

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Hello thread, new to headphones but I'm in the market so I'm researching. What do you guys do for EQ? I'll be listening exclusively to vinyl, I've got a 1/4" jack on my phono pre-amp but the sound is pretty harsh. I thought there might be a headphone amp with like a simple 2 or 3 band eq, but I'm not really seeing anything. Am I just going to have to buy a separate unit?

pax217

Hello thread, new to headphones but I'm in the market so I'm researching. What do you guys do for EQ? I'll be listening exclusively to vinyl, I've got a 1/4" jack on my phono pre-amp but the sound is pretty harsh. I thought there might be a headphone amp with like a simple 2 or 3 band eq, but I'm not really seeing anything. Am I just going to have to buy a separate unit?

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but I use this in my home theater and love it (at least for my speakers).
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?t=1&products_id=657

For an amp/EQ, I thought the ZO2 was suggested earlier for this, but I may be wrong.
http://www.digizoid.com/zo/

Only big thing that is holding me back from ordering the M50s is the cable length. It seems like it will be too long whether I get the coiled cable or the straight cable. I just need it to reach from my head to my pocket on my pants, really. I'm assuming I'd just have to live with it?

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
How much of an idiot am I for even considering getting the new Beats MIXR headphones? I tried them at Best Buy and the clamp on my head and the clarity at loud volumes made me happy...didn't do an extended test of them or anything but they seems rock solid with a more balanced sound than Beats typically have.

...go ahead...let me have it...

Ashhong

Only big thing that is holding me back from ordering the M50s is the cable length. It seems like it will be too long whether I get the coiled cable or the straight cable. I just need it to reach from my head to my pocket on my pants, really. I'm assuming I'd just have to live with it?

You have quite the dilemma. Straight cable will be way too long. Coiled cable will be a good length but you need to shove the coils in your pockets, which could be difficult. Pretty much have to live with it.

How much of an idiot am I for even considering getting the new Beats MIXR headphones? I tried them at Best Buy and the clamp on my head and the clarity at loud volumes made me happy...didn't do an extended test of them or anything but they seems rock solid with a more balanced sound than Beats typically have.

Beats by Dre...by David Guetta lol. At only 250 MSRP it doesnt seem THAT bad of a price if the sound is as good as you say.

I shall not stand for such foolhardiness. Leave this thread and never return.

Kidding. Whatever makes you happy man. I don't known about the phones in question, but I'd honestly look a little harder.

Nopren

Rubber band around the excess straight cable, is what I do.

Rubber band around the excess straight cable, is what I do.

Not a bad idea.

I was thinking I may get the straight cable and find some sort of cable management. Would buying used in "like new" condition from Amazon be a bad idea? I'm a complete headphone noob.

The Boat

So I went to a music store to see if I could find some JVC HARX700 and no luck, but I found some ATH m20, m30 and m40s too. How do these stack up to the JVC?
I also saw m50s and dt770 pro but those are beyond my wallet. Thanks again!

Talon

Just bought some AIAIAI TMA-1's off of headfi. Tired of losing IEMs every month, so I figured I'd get a good closed pair for my commute/office.

How hyped should I be, headphone-GAF?

remz

Just bought some AIAIAI TMA-1's off of headfi. Tired of losing IEMs every month, so I figured I'd get a good closed pair for my commute/office.

In my opinion... super hyped. I love those phones like no other

darkandroid

Neo Member
I ordered some Shure SRH840's for $130. Did i make the right choice GAF?

maybe.....this headphone is constantly compared with the Audio Technica M50 which is in the same price range, and some people prefer the M50, while others prefer the SRH840. One common complaint with the SRH840 is the 'mid-bass hump', which can make the bass on some songs sound a bit bloated, but if you are a basshead, then this may be a good thing.

matmanx1

Getting to know these ASG-1's is sort of like getting to know some of my music all over again. At first there was a certain unidentifiable quality to what I was hearing but I've now begun the process of getting my head wrapped around it. And I mostly like it.

The ASG-1's are certainly clearer and fuller than any other pair of IEM's that I've ever owned but they also possess a "brightness" that I am not yet familiar with. That "brightness" was the unidentifiable quality I spoke of and I'm not so sure now if they actually are brighter sounding or if my ears are just so trained to hear the "warmth" that you usually get in headphones and earphones these days and the ASG-1's are simply more accurate. Or maybe it's a little bit of both.

At any rate in certain music types it's hardly noticeable (currently listening to Drivin n Cryin which is just good rock n roll and I can't hear it at all here) whereas in other music types or with other bands it's very noticeable. Flogging Molly (to give another example that is still mostly rock n roll) sounds completely different. Not bad different just different. It's like someone moved the instruments around and changed the brand of all the mic's or something. I'm hearing more and hearing differently all at the same time. Which I guess just goes to show you how unique each pair of 'phones or IEM's are and why it's useful (and interesting) to have multiple types on hand.

Anyway, just some rambling thoughts I was having after having owned the ASG-1's for a couple of days and having them connected to my iPod. I've used them on my Vita for gaming as well and that experience has been nothing but impressive but I'll talk about that later.

I just got me a pair of wireless headphones (Logitech g930) and I'm more than happy with them. However I have a problem regarding my 2.1 speakers.

It seems that you can have sound in one or the other only not both at the same time which is killing me right now. Is there any solution to this? I would like to have sound output to both at the same time.

Ashhong

I just got me a pair of wireless headphones (Logitech g930) and I'm more than happy with them. However I have a problem regarding my 2.1 speakers.

It seems that you can have sound in one or the other only not both at the same time which is killing me right now. Is there any solution to this? I would like to have sound output to both at the same time.

Get a headphone splitter?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10429&cs_id=1042901&p_id=7204&seq=1&format=2

edit: how do the logitech connect to the computer?

godnorazi

Banned
man the newer audio technica line looks awesome

A500X, A700X, A900X, TAD-300/400/500

too bad its so hard to find any info on them.. i wouldnt mind paying the import markup since they look so nice but i need more reviews and comparisons

ATD-TAD500_1.jpg

aut17.jpg

neos

My sennheiser hd 457 are at the end of their life, i recently bought a pair of akg k512 but i discovered i don't feel comfortable with closed headphones, mainly because i wear glasses.
However, the akg didn't click with me, the high was good but the mids and the lows was crap (My impression, maybe i'm only used to the hd457 which has prominent bass and i can't judge correctly).

So i'm serching for some advice, for a good couple of open headphones, i will only use them connected to a Logitech z5450 surround system for gaming, movies and music.
If not perfectly balanced, i'd prefer the one with better bass part. I have no amp and i can't go over the €200 budget, so if you want me to get an amp i'll need a cheaper gear!

GAF,Yes or no?

pax217

What do we know about Qinpu headphone amps? I still haven't decided what my headphone amp dedicated to the gaming PC is going to be... have the following in-mind:

- Qinpu A3
- Hifiman EF2A
- Little Dot MKIII

Willing to go higher in price if it's really worth it, but whatever amp it is will be pushing either Grado 325i or RS2's.

Ashhong

Are on-ear headphones still considered closed? I don't think I would get the same seal as over the ear headphones, which would make the sound pretty different, no?

USB sadly

There's probably some software that will enable both, I'll check it out.

Septimius

My god. I got my DT880 Pro today.

These things are.. wow.. They're insane. I might be suffering from good quality headphone deficiency, but these are everything I loved in my old 2003 DT880s, with a few minor tweaks that make them absolutely wonderful.

I'm looking for some headphones or a headset for gaming, movies, music (classical) for around $100-150, although I wouldn't be opposed to spending more if I knew they were really good and comfortable. What are the best options in that range?

Also are either of these decent for the price?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Q8IHEK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O5CCQK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Any thoughts? I've been considering this + an amp: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E9VKUQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Eterniti

I think I'm going to go with what people have recommended here and get the ATH-M50, but I was curious as to why people are using amps? I'm using a Yamaha RX-V665BL receiver for my audio and was just thinking of plugging my headphones into it.

Are there currently any good deals for a set of IEM's? I'm looking to spend no more than ~$80. Listen mostly to metal, also some hiphop. About 50% of the time will just be talk radio though, on average 6 hours a day, so they need to be comfortable. I'd also like at least a little bit of a bass.

Ashhong

I think I'm going to go with what people have recommended here and get the ATH-M50, but I was curious as to why people are using amps? I'm using a Yamaha RX-V665BL receiver for my audio and was just thinking of plugging my headphones into it.

The phones, imo, sound terrible without an amp. You will be more than fine with that receiver though. I plug mine into a Sony stereo that I use as an amp for my computer, and they sound great.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I've dropped my E10 so much that the headphone jack is going wonky, and I'm looking for an excuse to spend $150 on the E17.

Any of you used one yet? I want that treble control...

Mistle

The phones, imo, sound terrible without an amp. You will be more than fine with that receiver though. I plug mine into a Sony stereo that I use as an amp for my computer, and they sound great.

The M50s really don't need an amp at all IMO. They sound brilliant through my comp and surprisingly even better through my iPhone.

Ashhong

The M50s really don't need an amp at all IMO...

I am a bit of a basshead, and was initially looking for that "Beats" sound, so when I first listened to them I was let down. Have you listened to them amped? It makes a world of difference. Sound pretty flat unamped IMO.

Alucrid

Banned
Large T500s provided the perfect fit for me for the ASG-1s. Awesome.

EDIT: Yeah, the fit with all the other tips was laughable. Time to order like 50 pairs of these bad boys.

Top Bottom