• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

T1tan

Neo Member
Are there any recommendations for a good pair of headphones for coding/programming? I'll be working in an office environment so closed would be preferred to open (although I'm not opposed to keeping the volume down) yet they don't have to be noise cancelling. One of the main requirements would have to be comfort. These will be worn from 3 - 8 hours a day. Budget < $200 please.

pax217

Are there any recommendations for a good pair of headphones for coding/programming? I'll be working in an office environment so closed would be preferred to open (although I'm not opposed to keeping the volume down) yet they don't have to be noise cancelling. One of the main requirements would have to be comfort. These will be worn from 3 - 8 hours a day. Budget < $200 please.

I own the Grado SR80s, have for years, and I never get tired of wearing them whether I'm programming or gaming for long periods of time. They're well within your price point, too.

...was my second recommendation, so yes.

joshlee

Alright, so I've spent about a day with my TMA-1's, which I got in the mail yesterday.

They look extremely sexy, sexier than pictures can describe.

Initially, when I put them on for a first listen right out of the box, I got a little scared. They seemed VERY dark and muffled. But after just an hour of listening, I could hear them lightening up. Now, I am in LOVE with them. Amazing headphones, glad I broke down and bought them, thank you K.Jack for sucking the TMA-1's balls throughout this entire thread, and Syracuse022 for being the final push I needed.

I also love how well they match my current laptop (CR-48):

MfytI.jpg

I've had these for almost a year I think now and can't get enough. I use them for everything, I hear sounds that I never knew existed before. Does anyone know how the Tracks compare?

Alright, so I've spent about a day with my TMA-1's, which I got in the mail yesterday.

They look extremely sexy, sexier than pictures can describe.

Initially, when I put them on for a first listen right out of the box, I got a little scared. They seemed VERY dark and muffled. But after just an hour of listening, I could hear them lightening up. Now, I am in LOVE with them. Amazing headphones, glad I broke down and bought them, thank you K.Jack for sucking the TMA-1's balls throughout this entire thread, and Syracuse022 for being the final push I needed.

I also love how well they match my current laptop (CR-48):

MfytI.jpg

That looks beautiful. I'm so tempted to get them but I'm afraid that it'll drop in price after ...

Kukuk

Banned

Check out the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's (80 Ohm). They are incredibly comfortable, and sound fantastic to boot! If I were to compare them to the M50's... They are much better, and for only a little more money. Most notably, the mids are much, much more present, and the soundstage is much larger.

Some people have had complaints about too much clamping force, but their headband is metal, so that's very easily fixed. If you get this fixed, their comfort is some of the best I've ever had on any headphone. The velour is probably the softest I've felt on a headphone pad, and the cups are very large, and very deep, to accommodate ears of every size.

matmanx1

Yeah, no problem. I'd just call Springtree and ask for Matt myself, their response rate is excellent, and Matt is great to talk to. If you do that, you'll be getting your order in ASAP, cause at the moment, Aurisonics is inundated with orders so you might be in the 4th batch of orders which won't go our for awhile. The great thing about Springtree is that they are on the outskirts of Nashville so Dale of Aurisonics hand delivers the phones himself to Springtree, so they are able to fulfill orders extremely quickly once they are in hand. My pair were actually delivered the same day I ordered

Quick response time indeed. Matt already emailed me back with the sale price. I'm tempted to go ahead and call on my lunch break but I don't want my wife to take offense that I ordered my own birthday present even though we've already discussed the purchase. I should probably make life easy for myself and give her the info and let her call tomortow. Domestic tranquility is worth it. =)

Alucrid

Banned
Quick response time indeed. Matt already emailed me back with the sale price. I'm tempted to go ahead and call on my lunch break but I don't want my wife to take offense that I ordered my own birthday present even though we've already discussed the purchase. I should probably make life easy for myself and give her the info and let her call tomortow. Domestic tranquility is worth it. =)

Better hurry! Sale ends in two days. :p

Also, dear Japanese guy, ship out my headphones already.

matmanx1

Better hurry! Sale ends in two days. :p

Also, dear Japanese guy, ship out my headphones already.

Will be ordering the ASG-1's tomorrow! Hopefully they won't take too long to arrive but my birthday isn't until the 14th so technically anytime before that and they will be an early birthday present anyway.

matmanx1

Got my ASG-1's ordered this morning from Matt at Springtree.net. He said that they should get their next batch in on Friday and that my order would either ship then or on Monday depending on the time of day that they receive them. I'm in North GA so I should be getting them early next week and will post my thoughts once I've had a little time with them. Thanks for the recommendations folks.

Schiit Amps... how are they? What's comparable in respective price ranges?

OH, then I'm waiting for those before I order any ASG-1's.

No highs, no lows, it must be Bose.
Just subs, no tweets, it must be Beats.

The funny thing is, the combination of BOSE x BEATS would make for a decent sound sig cause you've got everything but highs covered.

MatManx - I'd give them some time before coming to conclusions. These are similar to the SM3 in that you have to take some time before you can wrap your head around their presentation and sound sig, since they sound so different compared to other phones which tend to be recessed in the mids and more left/right in stereo separation. You'll also want to get some different tips to experiment with outside of fhe stock tips, as the sound signature varies depending on the tips you use. (a combination of distance of the aperture from your ear, seal achieved, depth of seal, and the size of tip opening, all of which influence how sound travels to your eardrum) I'm getting great results from the MeElectronics double flange tip.

poweld

Finally broke down and picked up a pair of HD25-1 ii. You heard that, Davidion? I listened.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Edit: Does anybody have any experience with these with regards to headphone amping? Just wondering if they're sensitive to being overpowered (this bummed me out with my Grado SR80). Thanks in advance.

Waikis

Yo LCfiner, I just saw your FS post in head-fi D: .Shame that's the hpa version, otherwise I would have snapped it straight away.

LCfiner

Yo LCfiner, I just saw your FS post in head-fi D: .Shame that's the hpa version, otherwise I would have snapped it straight away.

ha ha. yeah. that Isabellina is a sizeable investment and is gonna take a while to sell, I bet.

I would use it as a DAC for my stax but, frankly, since the balanced headphone amp is such a big part of the cost I can&#8217;t justify keeping it. Gotta get something that is more DAC than amp and recoup these costs.

the crazy side of me is saying that if I can&#8217;t sell the Isabellina within 6 months that I should just buy another balanced HD800 and use it for the bedroom setup.

matmanx1

Yeah I'm definitely going to give some burn in time to the ASG-1's and experiment with some different tips on them. I've heard folks having good sound out of the stock tips and I've heard other folks say that you have to put a different tip on them to get the best sound. I'm sure much of it comes down to, as you said, the difference in ear size and depth and personal preference and the sound signature that you like.

It's most assuredly going to be an enjoyable process though!

X-Frame

Can anyone advise if a company makes different ear buds that I can use on my MEE CC51p's?

None of the ear buds that came with the earphones fit my ears, and it's quite aggravating having them fall out all the time when I walk.

I've connected my Yulong U100 to my laptop and play the music over Foobar. What is the best way to output the music? At the moment I use the WASAPI output with 24 bit.

remz

I've had these for almost a year I think now and can't get enough. I use them for everything, I hear sounds that I never knew existed before. Does anyone know how the Tracks compare?

tracks sound like shit by comparison.

I have a set of ad900, heard the TMA-1s in a store and kind of fell in love with them. Goddamn that sound signature.

Downhome

I totally forgot about this thread. I'll let a mod kill my thread I just started on this...

When I'm at work, sometimes I like to stick in my earbuds and listen to a podcast, but I prefer to do it in just one ear. The same thing at home when doing work around the apartment. I started with normal earbuds and slicing one side off, then moved to a pair that had the thing where you could hold both together without one having to dangle, and then I found the JBuds J3M single-ear bud. That one works alright, but twice now I've had the wires come apart where they meet for the mic. I just found the JBuds J4Ms rugged ones that are built better supposedly and may try that.

Do you guys know of a better quality earbud like this with a mic that wont cost me an arm and a leg? I'm tired of buying this and that and want to settle on something. Thanks!

pj

Banned
Well, my Ortofon e-Q5s crapped out after 4 months, so I am sending them back for replacement. In the meantime, I think I will get Etymotic HF5 from a local store. Their price is about the same as amazon and they seem to be a good deal in the ~$100 bracket.

I will probably sell the replacement Ortofons I get, so if anyone wants some new in box e-Q5s, I will be letting them go for $220 shipped!

Kerrinck

Can anyone recommed a good in-ear headphone in the 50-60$ range? Will be using it mostly for going to the gym and playing portables.
My crappy skullcandy one I got as a gift just broke so looking to get something more reliable/better quality.

pax217

Can anyone recommed a good in-ear headphone in the 50-60$ range? Will be using it mostly for going to the gym and playing portables.
My crappy skullcandy one I got as a gift just broke so looking to get something more reliable/better quality.

My favorite in-ear in the "Under $100" range is the MonoPrice Hi-fi (not the bass enhancing model)... and it's $8 shipped.

JackEtc

Since my Klipsch Image S4's broke last year and I had lost the receipt (should have just bought them at Amazon...), I've been without a pair of good earbuds for a while now. I've been using the apple earbuds with the mic that came with my iPhone 4S since I got that, but they're starting to hurt just like all iPod earbuds do to me after a while. In fact, I actually have a cut inside my ear because of them.

I started looking for a new set of earbuds and ended up buying the TMA-1s as a set of portable cans, which are soooo great. But there's still times when I'd rather be wearing earbuds instead of them, like walking/running around school or whatever.

So I saw a post or two in here about how great these $7 Monoprice earbuds are, as well as a lot of praise for them on Head Fi. I ordered a pair last week and just got them in.

At first they felt extremely uncomfortable, like I wasn't wearing them right. Seems like that's a common thing though, according to reviews. You wear them upside down, with the cord going up, and around your ear. They feel much better now that I figured that out. Not nearly as comfortable as my now-broken pair of Klipsch Image S4's, but comfortable enough. They will take some getting used to.

But god damn, they are really good for $7, they sound great right out of the box (err, out of the plastic bag, which is how I recieved them). Definitely worth picking up if you want some cheap, great sounding earbuds as something you can just shove in your pocket when listening on the go or as a fallback pair of earbuds.

pax217

But god damn, they are really good for $7, they sound great right out of the box (err, out of the plastic bag, which is how I recieved them). Definitely worth picking up if you want some cheap, great sounding earbuds as something you can just shove in your pocket when listening on the go or as a fallback pair of earbuds.
Exactly as I use them. Love them.

Kad5

Can anyone tell me how to properly use the EQ on my iPhone for playing music?

I like to use my iPhone to play music in my car..

Which EQ is best suited for what type of music?

parasight

Can anyone advise if a company makes different ear buds that I can use on my MEE CC51p's?

None of the ear buds that came with the earphones fit my ears, and it's quite aggravating having them fall out all the time when I walk.

I had the same problem. Couldn't find any other tips that would fit. I need extra small tips.

Ordered the TMA-1s. Excited to get them next week. I'm tired of running through numerous budget IEMs that don't fit well or break easily. So these TMAs are gonna be the most expensive headphones I've bought.

X-Frame

I had the same problem. Couldn't find any other tips that would fit. I need extra small tips.

Ordered the TMA-1s. Excited to get them next week. I'm tired of running through numerous budget IEMs that don't fit well or break easily. So these TMAs are gonna be the most expensive headphones I've bought.

So there's nothing I can do but order new earphones? No company sells accessory ear buds?

So there's nothing I can do but order new earphones? No company sells accessory ear buds?

Wait, I know someone does. Give me ten minutes and I'll find them. I'm on my iPhone.

Edit: Comply was what I was thinking of. I could have sworn they had tips for the CC51's.

CPCunha

soooo...i did a search (a quick one, i'm at work) and couldn't find a thread for audio software configurations.

We have this awesome hardware threads (headphones and speakers) but i'm pretty sure there's people out there in need of help on the software side of things (i'm sure i am). I'm talking about EQ software, recommendations for modded drivers for soundcards, player configurations (SPDIF nightmares) and stuff like that. Some of you guys sound like real audio pros and we, lesser people, would really appreciate the help!

pretty pleaseeeee
<=0)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ordered a pair of the $7 Monohype IEMs last night, because it's annoying reading about them everywhere and not hearing it myself.

Will be pitted against the reigning undisputed champion of my house, the RE-ZERO.

Should be fun.

pax217

Ordered a pair of the $7 Monohype IEMs last night, because it's annoying reading about them everywhere and not hearing it myself.

Will be pitted against the reigning undisputed champion of my house, the RE-ZERO.

Should be fun.

Wedge1_medium.gif

Wait, you're going to compare them to what?!?

Image S4's, sure, but RE-ZEROs... I dunno...

I am currently looking for some headphones which I can use for everyday use, such as listening to music and playing games. I live with other people, so I would prefer to have closed headphones. Portability and comfort are important factors for me. Price range: <$250
Thanks in advanced

pax217

I bought a FiiO E3 on Amazon for $5 for the hell of it, thought I'd be pairing it with my MonoPrice Hi-fis which are my daily buds until the ASG-1's are in my ears... really like the subtle difference it's made. Well worth it.

I am currently looking for some headphones which I can use for everyday use, such as listening to music and playing games. I live with other people, so I would prefer to have closed headphones. Portability and comfort are important factors for me. Price range: <$250
Thanks in advanced

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Popular choices.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

Should be fun.

I got a pair and really not bad at all for 7$.

paskowitz

What genres do you listen to?

Rock 60-90's
Heavy Metal 90's+ (but not screamo)
Jazz all types
Classical
Soundtracks (movies, games, etc)
Other than that a hodge podge of songs that I like but from genres I typically hate.

Beats are not an option. Tried them, did not like them. I am coming from a pair of Shure SE210s that I paid $80 for.

Rock 60-90's
Heavy Metal 90's+ (but not screamo)
Jazz all types
Classical
Soundtracks (movies, games, etc)
Other than that a hodge podge of songs that I like but from genres I typically hate.

Beats are not an option. Tried them, did not like them. I am coming from a pair of Shure SE210s that I paid $80 for.

Well... I guess that's that.

Kidding aside, I'd check out the Vsonic GR07 or the Future Sonics MG7. The GR07 is going to be a more balanced sound, and the MG7 has the more fun/aggressive sound. Both can be found for about $150.

pax217

Between the two, go for the DT770 Pro's. There's not a single thing the M50's do better (well, they are bigger than the M50's, if size is a huge concern).

Price. I always try to suggest about 30% below what people say is their price range just in-case they're already stretched it to see what the options are.

If you're really willing to spend it, then yes, the DT770s are the better option (reason why I listed them first)

Future Sonics MG7.

Nice, I like those.

J2 Cool

Need suggestions. No larger than a $60 budget, preferably $50 or less. Definitely don't have a ton of money to spend at the moment, but want nice headphones for film mixing and such. As well as good sounding everyday use as I've never had good headphones before and feel like I've been missing out.

Specifically after listening to my gf's Bose CQ3's and friend's Sony MDR-XB500's for extended uses recently. Obviously don't have the same money to spend on them but something of quality would be nice. Or at this price, is it just more advisable to grab the $7 earbuds talked about earlier, and wait until I have more to spend?

Hurmun

Neo Member
Yo, this thread is sick!! So happy I found it. I've been trying to get more into headphones and slowly become an audiophile.

So many brands and headphones that I've never seen or heard of before. I'm gonna be here for a while....

EDIT

Actually I need some help looking for some cans. What's the best type for metal music? I listen to bands like Between the Buried and Me, Scale the Summit, Opeth, Protest the Hero, etc...

pax217

Need suggestions. No larger than a $60 budget, preferably $50 or less. Definitely don't have a ton of money to spend at the moment, but want nice headphones for film mixing and such. As well as good sounding everyday use as I've never had good headphones before and feel like I've been missing out.

Specifically after listening to my gf's Bose CQ3's and friend's Sony MDR-XB500's for extended uses recently. Obviously don't have the same money to spend on them but something of quality would be nice. Or at this price, is it just more advisable to grab the $7 earbuds talked about earlier, and wait until I have more to spend?

It sounds like you're more in the market for an open headphone than anything else. What are you looking for in your headphones?

J2 Cool

I don't know honestly. I work in a cubicle area though, so open might disturb the people around me. I'm not a professional sound mixer either, I work on animated films. So I'd like to use it for that, but mostly just want a more dynamic experience with sound than ipod earbuds I've been for years.

remz

Yo, this thread is sick!! So happy I found it. I've been trying to get more into headphones and slowly become an audiophile.

So many brands and headphones that I've never seen or heard of before. I'm gonna be here for a while....

EDIT

Actually I need some help looking for some cans. What's the best type for metal music? I listen to bands like Between the Buried and Me, Scale the Summit, Opeth, Protest the Hero, etc...

Probably some Grado or Alessandro phones. They tend to rock pretty facking hard. Alessandro Ms-1's were my fav in their price range.

Top Bottom