• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Large T500s provided the perfect fit for me for the ASG-1s. Awesome.

EDIT: Yeah, the fit with all the other tips was laughable. Time to order like 50 pairs of these bad boys.

Just as i suspected. If you get more of them, like say off Amazon, I'd try trimming the foam down to where the inner core ends to see how it works out for you. So how are you liking them compared to the CK10?

Alucrid

Banned
Just as i suspected. If you get more of them, like say off Amazon, I'd try trimming the foam down to where the inner core ends to see how it works out for you. So how are you liking them compared to the CK10?

I'm not sure if anything can really beat the CK-10s, they're my dream headphone. That said, the ASG-1s are nice as well, there's just something about the way it presents the mids that seems off to me. I can't really nail it. I wonder if I just need to give it a bit more time to get used to it, especially now that I have a decent fit.

If it doesn't work out I might look at DBA-2s, UM3Xs, SM3s or Westone 4s.

Ashhong

Bought a pair of M50s. :D

Now I need an amp.

Do not think my dinosaur Pioneer receiver will cut it.

You would be surprised. My like 8 or so year old Sony stereo works wonders. If you want a portable amp, I would recommend the Fiio E11. Sounds great. The E6 might be enough also, but I haven't tried it. E5 is definitely not enough.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
E6 has the same amp section as the E7, which I say as if that means anything to anyone.

Just know that it blows the E5 away, and reportedly sounds even slightly better than the E7.

Ashhong

E6 has the same amp section as the E7, which I say as if that means anything to anyone.

Just know that it blows the E5 away, and reportedly sounds even slightly better than the E7.

I actually had the E7 too. The amp part of it was...decent. If it's better than that then the E6 is probably good enough, depending on his preferences.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Well it goes like E11 >>>>>> E6~E7

I would just go for the E11, having owned two of the three.

Are there currently any good deals for a set of IEM's? I'm looking to spend no more than ~$80. Listen mostly to metal, also some hiphop. About 50% of the time will just be talk radio though, on average 6 hours a day, so they need to be comfortable. I'd also like at least a little bit of a bass.

Anyone?

You would be surprised. My like 8 or so year old Sony stereo works wonders. If you want a portable amp, I would recommend the Fiio E11. Sounds great. The E6 might be enough also, but I haven't tried it. E5 is definitely not enough.
I guess it's that I want surround sound, or virtual surround sound, or whatever it is.

Ashhong

I guess it's that I want surround sound, or virtual surround sound, or whatever it is.

Que? I am not sure an amp is going to give your M50s more of a surround sound...I think your receiver will do good. Give it a shot before you order an amp. Add some equalizer to it if you can and it will be great!

My trusty old Grado S60s finally succumbed to the decade of abuse I subjected 'em to.

Looking at open headphones in the $100-200 dollar range. Considering the $100 Allessandro Model One, the Grado S80, but also the Sennheiser 555.

I find open headphones so much better for talking while listening (on Mumble or Skype). So open is a must.

Leaning towards the Sennheiser, but if there's other ones I should consider, let me know.

My trusty old Grado S60s finally succumbed to the decade of abuse I subjected 'em to.

Looking at open headphones in the $100-200 dollar range. Considering the $100 Allessandro Model One, the Grado S80, but also the Sennheiser 555.

I find open headphones so much better for talking while listening (on Mumble or Skype). So open is a must.

Leaning towards the Sennheiser, but if there's other ones I should consider, let me know.

I doubt I'm much help, but the SR80i's are amazing. My only gripe is that they lack some bass. I think they're a little bit better with bass than your SR60's.

Hifiman RE Zero, VSonic GR06, Beyerdynamic DTX 101

If you want a little bit of bass, get yourself a FiiO E6 as well.

How do the RE0's compare to the RE Zero's? $100 is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

edit: Nevermind, the RE0's have a ton of people complaining how they stopped working after only a few months.

Any other recommendations for around/under $75? Preferably if it's available at Amazon since I got some store credit. Thinking about maybe the MEElectronics A151-BK for $50 or maybe the Etymotic Research MC5 for $10 more.

How do the RE0's compare to the RE Zero's? $100 is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

edit: Nevermind, the RE0's have a ton of people complaining how they stopped working after only a few months.

Any other recommendations for around/under $75? Preferably if it's available at Amazon since I got some store credit. Thinking about maybe the MEElectronics A151-BK for $50 or maybe the Etymotic Research MC5 for $10 more.

MC5's aren't gonna have the bass you're looking for. I'd look into the Xears XE200Pro or the Fischer Audio Eterna. You can get the Xears here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Xears-X...ccessories&hash=item3371d5f0e0#ht_1353wt_1270

Alucrid: Any phone paired up next to the CK10 is gonna sound off, especially given that the ASG-1 and CK10 are so different. There are some boosted frequencies in the midrange on the ASG-1, since they were designed for stage monitoring, which is why guitars and vocals seem to pop out of the mix. Dale is working on some filter tips to make the sound more in line with "audiophile" tastes, which should address that. And I don't think the DBA-02 will do it for you, cause to my understanding, that's just a CK10 jr. Maybe SM3/W4, those are more laid back/natural sounding phones. The SM3 sounds sort of similar to the ASG-1 but doesn't have that midrange hump you are experiencing.

Que? I am not sure an amp is going to give your M50s more of a surround sound...I think your receiver will do good. Give it a shot before you order an amp. Add some equalizer to it if you can and it will be great!
Like the Astro MixAmp. I don't know.

I looked at my receivers, and they are all so old, there is no digital input.

Ashhong

I misplaced my meelectronic headphones, so have been back using my CX300. I guess I'm am just a lost cause because these, with their increased bass, sound much better than the M21, and they fit better which is a huge plus.

What IEMs are like the CX300..but better? Meaning same amount of lows but maybe more clarity in the mids/highs?

pax217

I read a review for the Xears, and they sound pretty solid, especially for the price, but I can't find them for sale, and that Ebay auction has ended.

Keep your eye on eBay, they'll come up. All those other headphones I listed can be found for $75 on eBay, Froogle, etc. Yes, the RE-Zeros are fragile, but people appreciate them nevertheless. If you're planning on being active with them, then the Xears are the way to go.

Keep your eye on eBay, they'll come up. All those other headphones I listed can be found for $75 on eBay, Froogle, etc. Yes, the RE-Zeros are fragile, but people appreciate them nevertheless. If you're planning on being active with them, then the Xears are the way to go.

Cool, thanks. I'm going to keep an eye out on eBay then and try to get the Xears.

Septimius

Can someone recommend me a tube headphone amp? I'd love to have one where you can actually see the tube, because it's so frickin' sexy. Maybe I'll go with some 600 Ohm headphones with them. This is a future purchase, but I like to drool a bit.

EDIT: Also, people keep saying this and that headphone sounds weak without an amp. Really? My 250 Ohm headphones are exactly the right loudness on my iPhone with max volume, and they sound fantastic. I have noticed an aetheric quality with either my PS3 or TV DAC or headphone amp, because there's something that's a bit different listening to music through them to my DT880s, but I can't say I ever needed an amp. I know I want to have two setups, one that's surgical in its precision and detail - perfectly neutral and reference for working on music and analytically listening to music. But I also want pretty much the exact same thing still (I mean, I feel the bass in on my DT880s is enough, so I don't need more. I've tried the ATH-M50, but I feel the bass is too much) - but I don't mind throwing a tube into the mix. I already love the 12AU7 that I'm using in a guitar effect of mine, so I know what the analogue can entail. I also think it's so deliciously decadent to have a tube amp setup, and I'm also contemplating going for one with a good DAC, and maybe try keeping it digital up to it, if that could help the sound. My multi-effect for guitar has a digital out, but I have yet to try it, since I trust its DAC more than my M-Audio FastTrack Pro (does anyone have anything good or bad to say as this as a DAC or amp?)

LCfiner

Can someone recommend me a tube headphone amp? I'd love to have one where you can actually see the tube, because it's so frickin' sexy. Maybe I'll go with some 600 Ohm headphones with them. This is a future purchase, but I like to drool a bit.

If you’re looking at tube amps with an eye toward good looks, i’d put woo audio stuff near the top of your list.

The WA6 is a good all rounder.

(I have no idea what your budget is)

Ashhong

I don't understand. Why would I use a receiver if it's analogue? Just to make it louder? I'd still be using the computer's DAC.

Aren't all headphone amps analog? It powers the headphones better so that they can perform as intended, or closer to it. It doesn't just make it louder.

Septimius

(I have no idea what your budget is)

Me neither. I probably could use $2000 on headphones and an amp. Maybe I'll end up closer to $1000. I dunno.

Aren't all headphone amps analog? It powers the headphones better so that they can perform as intended, or closer to it. It doesn't just make it louder.

But more power equals louder. And my headphones are amply loud even with 250 Ohm and an iPhone. I'm really paranoid about loudness, though. I freaked when I figured I'm down to like 17.5KHz listening range :< The only reason I would get an amplifier would be to have some analogue love in there (ie, tube amp) to actually alter the sound in a positive, but not intrusive way. Having an amp that changes the balance of the sound would be detrimental, and loudness is something my ears can live without. That's why I'd also be interested in an amp with a particularly good DAC.

EDIT: Just checked. 17.8KHz

Why do you need a headphone amp going straight into your computer using ATH-M50s?
Mine are plenty loud and I equalize through the computer.
It's not necessary, but I thought that the reason to get an amp/sound card/receiver is for a higher quality DAC; higher quality sound.

Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Ashhong

It's not necessary, but I thought that the reason to get an amp/sound card/receiver is for a higher quality DAC; higher quality sound.

Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

All I know is that there is a world of difference when I plug my M50s into my stereo/amp instead of straight into the computer. Loudness was never an issue for me. But using the amp changes the quality, not just the loudness, a great deal.

I dont really know what I'm talking about either. I just know first hand experience with my equipment.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Shoutout to AIAIAI's customer service. Replacing my headphones was easy and painless.

The Y-cable snapped. Which.. yeah that sucks and probably is indicative the Tracks poorly designed. But replacing them was a breeze.

Izayoi

Banned
If I'm amping Tesla T1s is there going to be any real difference between the WA6, WA6SE, WA22, and the WA5-LE aside from price and aesthetics?

pax217

pretty much.

unless he’s interested in a Zana Deux from Eddie Current. :)

We could name amps and headphones all day, but you guys just love to push people's budgets to the max! Ha ha ha

I'd say WA6 with a pair of RS1s (or someone try that Magnum upgrade on the 325i!) and some solid interconnects... call it a day.

How's your latest setup working out? Still loving it?

LCfiner

We could name amps and headphones all day, but you guys just love to push people's budgets to the max! Ha ha ha

I'd say WA6 with a pair of RS1s (or someone try that Magnum upgrade on the 325i!) and some solid interconnects... call it a day.

How's your latest setup working out? Still loving it?

yeah, still loving the setup. I upgraded the old DAC to a Benchmark DAC1. I notice a small but welcome improvement so that’s nice.

and, hey, Septimius said he had 1 or 2 grand to spare. So now I don’t feel bad recommending the top end stuff :)

if someone only had 500 bucks, I’d recommend a Sennhesier HD600 and a Yulong D100 or Hifiman EF2A dac/amp combo. that would sound awesome.

pax217

yeah, still loving the setup. I upgraded the old DAC to a Benchmark DAC1. I notice a small but welcome improvement so that’s nice.

and, hey, Septimius said he had 1 or 2 grand to spare. So now I don’t feel bad recommending the top end stuff :)

if someone only had 500 bucks, I’d recommend a Sennhesier HD600 and a Yulong D100 or Hifiman EF2A dac/amp combo. that would sound awesome.

Glad to hear you're still loving it. I think about it periodically while listening to my SR80's and get jealous.

How would one get their hands on a D100 for less than $350-400? I really like the design and price of the EF2A, but am really having a hard time not wanting to just continue saving for a WA6... I've heard none of these, though. Ha ha

All I know is that there is a world of difference when I plug my M50s into my stereo/amp instead of straight into the computer. Loudness was never an issue for me. But using the amp changes the quality, not just the loudness, a great deal.

I dont really know what I'm talking about either. I just know first hand experience with my equipment.

The amp acts as a form of equalizer - there's no real "improvement" going on with the raw material. I prefer my music to be as flat as possible anyway - I barely use any EQ.

If anything, the M50s make me want to ditch my entire itunes/amazon collection and just go back to CDs.

LCfiner

Glad to hear you're still loving it. I think about it periodically while listening to my SR80's and get jealous.

How would one get their hands on a D100 for less than $350-400? I really like the design and price of the EF2A, but am really having a hard time not wanting to just continue saving for a WA6... I've heard none of these, though. Ha ha

oops, I meant the Yulong U100, not the D100 for that price I had mentioned.

I’ve wanted to try a WA6 for a while just because it seems like such a good, all round mid to hi end tube amp. just never happened (and now it might be too late cuz the DAC1 headphone output is pretty good on its own for other mid-end dynamic cans I’ll try out).

Lausebub

Banned
Two headphones: Sennheiser PX360 BT for 130€ or Sennheiser MM500X for 250€

Does anybody of you guys know whether the MMs sound better than the PXs? On paper, they're almost the same.

I'm probably going with the PX360BT - > 120€ is nothing to scoff at!

Septimius

How much can really be gained with a Woo Audio WDS-1 (DAC) over, say, my current sound-interface that I got for studio purposes? How hardcore is it really necessary to take the conversion? It's just starting to feel that we're getting into the territory of where a couple of percent better sound will cost 50 times more than a superb setup.

DT880s with my M-Audio FastTrack Pro - 600$?
Tesla T1 with WDS-1 and some Woo Audio headphone amp - $3000

It's deliciously decadent, but it's almost like it's too much :p

LordCanti

How much can really be gained with a Woo Audio WDS-1 (DAC) over, say, my current sound-interface that I got for studio purposes? How hardcore is it really necessary to take the conversion? It's just starting to feel that we're getting into the territory of where a couple of percent better sound will cost 50 times more than a superb setup.

DT880s with my M-Audio FastTrack Pro - 600$?
Tesla T1 with WDS-1 and some Woo Audio headphone amp - $3000

It's deliciously decadent, but it's almost like it's too much :p

Assuming that your current DAC is of reasonable quality, it's likely that you wouldn't notice the difference. I mean, you might, but it would probably be more placebo than anything.

Septimius

Assuming that your current DAC is of reasonable quality, it's likely that you wouldn't notice the difference. I mean, you might, but it would probably be more placebo than anything.

Precisely. It most definitely should be, as it is a well renown brand and product for studio use. I guess there's other places you can put your money. If one of the Woo Audio amps has a built in DAC, I probably could go for that. I don't mind ditching as much cable as possible.

pax217

Started this
Headphones, IEMs & Amps -- Google Docs
to try and nerf the frequency of questions asked here...

...if you'd like to be a part in editing/building it (which there are a few of you on here that will not be named who I need their help in doing so) please PM me your e-mail so I can allow you access to editing.

So far I've only listed headphones I have heard/am highly familiar with; I know we could build a nice repository together, Headphone-Gaf!

Arcteryx

Started this
Headphones, IEMs & Amps -- Google Docs
to try and nerf the frequency of questions asked here...

...if you'd like to be a part in editing/building it (which there are a few of you on here that will not be named who I need their help in doing so) please PM me your e-mail so I can allow you access to editing.

So far I've only listed headphones I have heard/am highly familiar with; I know we could build a nice repository together, Headphone-Gaf!

Is it mainly just little blurbs or will it be full featured reviews?

I have access to DT880, HD600, HD650, Westone UM2, and a couple cheaper alternatives as well, so if need be I can writeup some reviews as well (have some already on HeadFi that I can adapt). Also have a WooAudio 3 and Apogee Duet if needed for the AMP/DAC section.

Top Bottom