• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

TrounceX

There are 2 versions of the M50s - straight and coiled. I have the straight.

That...kind of irritates me. I see it now on Amazon the M50S must indicate the straight cable huh? Damn.

Regardless I find the ear cups too small. I'll often spend 4 of more hours straight wearing headphones while practicing so it absolutely needs to fit perfectly.

I'm checking out these DT770's right now and they look HUGE which is perfect.

Before I make another mistake though, I see they have an 80ohm and 250ohm model. What do you guys think? Again, mainly going to be used through a digital keyboard.

edit: oh wtf I'm watching a youtube review of the DT770's and it has the damned coiled cable again.

pax217

Before I make another mistake though, I see they have an 80ohm and 250ohm model. What do you guys think? Again, mainly going to be used through a digital keyboard.

edit: oh wtf I'm watching a youtube review of the DT770's and it has the damned coiled cable again.

I thought the DT770 Pro (the 80ohm model) had a 3m straight cable? My mistake, sorry.

TrounceX

I thought the DT770 Pro (the 80ohm model) had a 3m straight cable? My mistake, sorry.

Maybe it does, actually.

tbh I'm having one hell of a time figuring this out. They have 4 different versions, all with different ohms, some have a "pro" denomination, and apparently some may have a straight cable and some may not.

????

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If "actual sound quality is less of an issue", you might as well buy a set of JVC HARX700s and be done with it.

pax217

Maybe it does, actually.

tbh I'm having one hell of a time figuring this out. They have 4 different versions, all with different ohms, some have a "pro" denomination, and apparently some may have a straight cable and some may not.

????

Your typical "Pro" is going to be 80ohms. There is/was a limited edition that was 32ohms. I think the standard DT770 is 250ohms. I'm pretty sure if it says it's Pro, but is not 80ohms (or 32 for the LE) it's lying. There are no OEM straight cabled models that I'm aware of.

Here is this:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49261

Don't know if you confident enough in yourself to do it, but it doesn't look hard and choosing your own cable will greatly improve your opinion of your headphones.

If sound quality really isn't that big of a deal you could always give these a shot:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p..._id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=4#feedback
They're not closed, but you can use whatever cable you want, they sound great (they won't be DT770s or M50s, but they're good), and they're $20.

TrounceX

If "actual sound quality is less of an issue", you might as well buy a set of JVC HARX700s and be done with it.

Those look nice, but the ear cups look a bit small again. Similar to my M50's. I probably have large ears.

Your typical "Pro" is going to be 80ohms. There is/was a limited edition that was 32ohms. I think the standard DT770 is 250ohms. I'm pretty sure if it says it's Pro, but is not 80ohms (or 32 for the LE) it's lying. There are no OEM straight cabled models that I'm aware of.

Here is this:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49261

Don't know if you confident enough in yourself to do it, but it doesn't look hard and choosing your own cable will greatly improve your opinion of your headphones.

If sound quality really isn't that big of a deal you could always give these a shot:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p..._id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=4#feedback
They're not closed, but you can use whatever cable you want, they sound great (they won't be DT770s or M50s, but they're good), and they're $20.

Thanks for the great advice. You've been a big help. I think I'll go with the DT 770's and replace the cabling myself.

T-Matt

So I'm looking for an iem that leans more towards the clarity side than a bassy sound signature. I'm not looking for a top line analytic sound, just more clarity and less focus on bass. My interest in bass for these would be more focused on controlled bass with details. One headphone I've considered is the meelectronics a151 but I'm obviously open to suggestions. Wanting to spend around 50-75$

my grado sr60i's came in today listening to them right now, and I have to say that they are pretty awesome for the price. Glad I bought them, but anyone that uses grado's do you guys use the stock pads or something else?

I've got the stock pads on my sr80i's, but I think their different from yours. Don't know if they're better or not, but I enjoy mine.

Help, please!

I just received my Sennheiser HD 558 from Amazon and the second I step out for work my idiot brother takes 'em to the home theatre and blasts them on max volume to play God Of War III. Now, I can't stop noticing that the left side is giving out more sound, as if the balance was off, and there is a constant faint whisper in the background.

Is this me mindfucking myself or could the headphones be actually damaged? How can I contact Amazon to find out if I can exchange them? Also, what is the slowest and most painful way to kill a person?

Thanks.

It is entirely possible to blow a driver by operating phones at maximum volume for extended periods of time.. yes.

And do the symptoms of a blown driver include what I described?

Edit: I am so fucking pissed right now... I wanted my listening experience to be damn near immaculate and now I'm listening for flaws every second instead of enjoying myself. Fucking fuck.

K.Jack

So I'm looking for an iem that leans more towards the clarity side than a bassy sound signature. I'm not looking for a top line analytic sound, just more clarity and less focus on bass. My interest in bass for these would be more focused on controlled bass with details. One headphone I've considered is the meelectronics a151 but I'm obviously open to suggestions. Wanting to spend around 50-75$

If clarity is key, why not spend $79 on the RE0? Nothing else in that price range will compete.

Edit: I am so fucking pissed right now... I wanted my listening experience to be damn near immaculate and now I'm listening for flaws every second instead of enjoying myself. Fucking fuck.

Exchange them.

You can't prove why they don't sound right either way, so just assume they came like that.

Exchange them.

You can't prove why they don't sound right either way, so just assume they came like that.

Isn't there a test I can run before sending them back? The problem is I'm no audiophile and I'm afraid I wouldn't know what to listen for.

The amp they were plugged into has 1000W output and he had it cranked to 33 which is the maximum the volume'll go.

Can the 558 withstand that much punishment? I don't want to go through all the hassle on account of me just being paranoid... :/

Isn't there a test I can run before sending them back? The problem is I'm no audiophile and I'm afraid I wouldn't know what to listen for.

The amp they were plugged into has 1000W output and he had it cranked to 33 which is the maximum the volume'll go.

Can the 558 withstand that much punishment? I don't want to go through all the hassle on account of me just being paranoid... :/

1000W? Christ man... Yeah, your phones are likely toast if you are hearing volume differences between the two sides :l

Whats the problem? Amazon exchanges are so hassle free its ridiculous. You can even have them send out the new pair BEFORE you send your old one back.

How? I already submitted the exchange request and printed the labels. One thing I'm worried about is the packing slip that came in the box, which I don't have anymore. The package came by UPS and I have the email with the tracking code. I don't know if that'll do.

Also, any amps suggestions? Please?

Ashhong

How? I already submitted the exchange request and printed the labels. One thing I'm worried about is the packing slip that came in the box, which I don't have anymore. The package came by UPS and I have the email with the tracking code. I don't know if that'll do.

Also, any amps suggestions? Please?

Well when you go through the return process with Amazon (was it shipped and sold by Amazon?), there are multiple choices for how you want to handle it. Maybe it's not available for all items if you didn't see it. I just know that I've seen it.

Amazon is extremely easy going about their exchanges. You'll be fine.

Sh1ner

Are there any other makes that create modular IEMs like Shure? I am looking to upgrade myself to shure se425s.

I have found the shure se315 to be the most comfortable set I have ever had. I believe the se425s are supposed to add on the bass quantity. In other words I think the SE425s would be perfect for me, modular design check, comfortable fit check, bass quanitity more than the se315s check.

I am pretty much sold on the se425s. I just want to have gafs opinion before I go spending 170quid on these. link to headphones: http://www.shure.co.uk/products/earphones/se425

A second question, Are there headphones less than 50 quid that provide a good quality sound as SE315s or SE425s out there? I don't believe it but a friend of mine swears that there is. I am waiting for them to get back to me with links.

Try turning them around, and hearing them from with the opposite ear. Sometimes if you have a wax buildup or are congested, it'll sound like your headphones arent balanced properly.

pax217

Amazon is extremely easy going about their exchanges. You'll be fine.

+A Million. I buy everything but perishable food items from Amazon now (Prime is a Godsend), and have returned a radio simply because I didn't like it as much as I thought I would... not only did they pay the return shipping, and give me a full refund, they credited me $4.00 for my troubles.

Are there any other makes that create modular IEMs like Shure? I am looking to upgrade myself to shure se425s.

A second question, Are there headphones less than 50 quid that provide a good quality sound as SE315s or SE425s out there? I don't believe it but a friend of mine swears that there is. I am waiting for them to get back to me with links.

There was a guy who posted regularly on Headphone-GAF a few weeks back that had Shure SE425s for sale over there, he might still have them if you filter back probably about twenty pages.

If you mean headphones under 50 quid and not other IEMs, the Koss PortaPros are getting a lot of attention right now, but I have yet to hear them.

Could you please suggest a few headphone amps to properly enjoy the Senn's 558?

No need for the bump, the most knowledgeable people on here have subscribed to the thread.

As for your headphone issue, I would consider your source. I know my Grados do not like being plugged into the headphone output on my receiver and really give me a lot of grief when I decide to do so, but they absolutely shine on my (currently) unamp'd gaming PC.

You have a few options for amps, are you going to be using these as portables or strictly on your PC/home theater? How much are you looking to spend on an amp?

Sh1ner

+A Million. I buy everything but perishable food items from Amazon now (Prime is a Godsend), and have returned a radio simply because I didn't like it as much as I thought I would... not only did they pay the return shipping, and give me a full refund, they credited me $4.00 for my troubles.

There was a guy who posted regularly on Headphone-GAF a few weeks back that had Shure SE425s for sale over there, he might still have them if you filter back probably about twenty pages.

If you mean headphones under 50 quid and not other IEMs, the Koss PortaPros are getting a lot of attention right now, but I have yet to hear them.

No need for the bump, the most knowledgeable people on here have subscribed to the thread.

As for your headphone issue, I would consider your source. I know my Grados do not like being plugged into the headphone output on my receiver and really give me a lot of grief when I decide to do so, but they absolutely shine on my (currently) unamp'd gaming PC.

You have a few options for amps, are you going to be using these as portables or strictly on your PC/home theater? How much are you looking to spend on an amp?

Excellent, thanks for the great news and yes I mean IEMs. I am definitely gonna have a backtrack through this thread!

edit:
nib95 was trying to sell shure 535s on page 145, he got banned though. He was selling a few other items on top. Checked neogaf bans. No explanation why he was, assuming it was related to the sale.

edit2: he bought up a certian scorned ww2 errrm person in a non related thread which got him banned. His sale is good! Balls.

pax217

Excellent, thanks for the great news and yes I mean IEMs. I am definitely gonna have a backtrack through this thread!

edit:
nib95 was trying to sell shure 535s on page 145, he got banned though. He was selling a few other items on top. Checked neogaf bans. No explanation why he was, assuming it was related to the sale.

edit2: he bought up a certian scorned ww2 errrm person in a non related thread which got him banned. His sale is good! Balls.

I'd use some of the product searchers out there, I'm finding SE425s for about $225 on eBay (the equivalent of 150ish pounds?)

As for IEMs that sound that good, the only thing I can think of in that price range are the Sony EX600s. I only had them for a few days (not broken in yet) before I returned them to buy the ASG-1's (of which I haven't yet because I'm a moron), but they were great and I will definitely be buying another pair of them after I get the ASG-1/portable amp situation in place.

Which reminds me, if you're going to be spending in that range, you should really check out the Aurisonics ASG-1's. Ha ha.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm thinking about getting a pair of cans that I wouldn't mind wearing at work. I was thinking about getting closed ones and was thinking about getting those Limited Edition M-50's. Is there anything different about them sonically compared to the regular M-50's?

pax217

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArzzUg_cGVljdC1mTXVXM0xYbmhLUms0Z0EwSUctU3c

Anyone have anything they can add to this? I really don't have much experience with amp pairings, so that'd be a big help, plus I feel like I'm missing a lot of opportunities in the lower price ranges.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of cans that I wouldn't mind wearing at work. I was thinking about getting closed ones and was thinking about getting those Limited Edition M-50's. Is there anything different about them sonically compared to the regular M-50's?

No sir, they're just silver. Remember that they're closed, so anyone trying to get your attention at work is going to have trouble if they're not in your eye sight... but maybe that's what you want :)

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual

I'm assuming you're talking about a home stereo receiver/amp? I doubt your brother actually put 1000 W into the headphones. If you are hearing a significant imbalance in the phones, you should exchange them. As was said previously, you don't know whether the phones came like that or not so just assume they did.

Hagi

Might be a silly question but fuck it i need an extension cable for my cans will any do? is there anything i should worry about?

The Boat

So JVC HARX 700 vs HARX 900 any opinions?

Still haven't made the jump to the HARX 700 as planned (been busy), so of course still open to other suggestions around this range, around €80 being the max.

Wow, I got my "RE-ZERO"'s today, but I'm pretty sure they are "RE0"'s they sent instead. Was someone at HIFIMAN high when they thought up the names of these products?

The label on the box says RE-ZERO, but on the actual packaging it says "RE0" and it doesn't have/need that 3.5mm balanced cable. So I'm guessing these are definitely the RE0's?

edit: Yeah, says RE0 on the cable. Weak. They do sound pretty great though. Definitely enough bass for me, they sound very crisp and clear.

Wow, I got my "RE-ZERO"'s today, but I'm pretty sure they are "RE0"'s they sent instead. Was someone at HIFIMAN high when they thought up the names of these products?

The label on the box says RE-ZERO, but on the actual packaging it says "RE0" and it doesn't have/need that 3.5mm balanced cable. So I'm guessing these are definitely the RE0's?

edit: Yeah, says RE0 on the cable. Weak. They do sound pretty great though. Definitely enough bass for me, they sound very crisp and clear.

Yeah, those are definitely Re-0 if they don't have balanced plugs. You'd definitely love the RE262 if you enjoy the RE-0 sound. You can typically find them on head-Fi for about $120 shipped or so, they respond very well to amping

^ I have the R0 too, very nice IEMs. I enjoyed them until I vacuumed them and broke the cable.

Bought a Fostex T50rp the other day. $70, nice clear non-tiring sound, a bit lacking in bass. Can't say they're better than my Grado S60, tho. The Grados are a bit more in your face and fun to listen to.

Hopefully since I bought them through Amazon it will be pretty painless to swap them for the correct ones. I'm so bummed, was really looking forward to getting my new headphones today.

Get'sMad

Finally sent my HD600s in to Sennheiser to get repaired. If they send me back a refurbished pair (which they did when I had a problem with some 595s) I'm thinking about selling those and then grabbing some 650s....we shall see.

Thanks for the reply.

The headphones sounded amazing plugged to the home theatre at just above half volume. Battlefield 3 was like being stuck in an IMAX theater, and the music in games like Journey and LIMBO I could hear beatifully detailed.

For reference, the home theatre the headphones were plugged into is a Sony DAV-HDX900W. I'm only using it to take advantange of the fiber optics output of the PS3.*

I'm looking to spend anything below $200 on a headphone amp strictly for home use. I was looking at this, but I don't know if it'll work with a PS3.

*I'd like to know if I can also output sound through USB from the PS3, and how that is quality wise.

pax217

Thanks for the reply.

The headphones sounded amazing plugged to the home theatre at just above half volume. Battlefield 3 was like being stuck in an IMAX theater, and the music in games like Journey and LIMBO I could hear beatifully detailed.

For reference, the home theatre the headphones were plugged into is a Sony DAV-HDX900W. I'm only using it to take advantange of the fiber optics output of the PS3.*

I'm looking to spend anything below $200 on a headphone amp strictly for home use. I was looking at this, but I don't know if it'll work with a PS3.

*I'd like to know if I can also output sound through USB from the PS3, and how that is quality wise.

I used a very cheap USB DAC for a headset for online play a few years ago, it wasn't bad and the PS3 recognized it all right away, but I run my PC through my receiver to my headphones for the same fiber optic reason (audiophiles will swear over the analog RCA interconnects, but honestly, optics just plain sound better on my home theater).

Whatever you buy, I'd buy it from Amazon or someone with a solid return policy so if it doesn't work you could easily replace it. I'd recommend the "HRT Headstreamer DAC/Amp" over the Creative Labs DAC. It's about the same price. For a lower priced USB/DAC, try the Fiio E10.

I used a very cheap USB DAC for a headset for online play a few years ago, it wasn't bad and the PS3 recognized it all right away, but I run my PC through my receiver to my headphones for the same fiber optic reason (audiophiles will swear over the analog RCA interconnects, but honestly, optics just plain sound better on my home theater).

Whatever you buy, I'd buy it from Amazon or someone with a solid return policy so if it doesn't work you could easily replace it. I'd recommend the "HRT Headstreamer DAC/Amp" over the Creative Labs DAC. It's about the same price. For a lower priced USB/DAC, try the Fiio E10.

Thank you so much for your help. Just to clarify, does the HRT have an optics input?

Geneijin

If you can return them, return them. But I do want to say it's not irregular to hear a channel imbalance if the recording is like that or poor because quality sound imaging can and will differentiate that. Now if it's a severe imbalance, then I'd be really concerned and it's simply better to be safe than sorry.

You can use a USB DAC with a PS3?

Thank you so much for your help. Just to clarify, does the HRT have an optics input?

Looks like the Headstreamer is USB only, HRT's offerings are really good though, but with a phone like your Senn, the improvements won't be as dramatic as you'd think since your phones are rated at 50 OHMs and should be reasonably efficient so long as you're not plugging them into an iPod. Any receiver ought to do the trick so long as it can output a clean, noise free signal. A USB/DAC is a must if you plan on using a laptop/PC as a source though cause the headphone inputs have similar output power as a portable media player and tend to be poorly shielded, resulting in a lot of noise/signal distortion.

pax217

A USB/DAC is a must if you plan on using a laptop/PC as a source though cause the headphone inputs have similar output power as a portable media player and tend to be poorly shielded, resulting in a lot of noise/signal distortion.

Yeah, I hate it when I'm stuck in the office on weekends with my laptop and have no DAC available. The audio on my laptop is horrid and buzzes like crazy.

You can use a USB DAC with a PS3?

I used one and it recognized it as an accessory, worked straight forward. I don't remember what brand/model it was, and I'd probably have to dig through my garage to find whatever it was. Regardless, if the PS3 has USB Audio out (which it does) then a DAC should work just fine.

No optics input, but USB is a digital input anyway so it'll be the same signal (which is only 2ch anyway). If you really want to take advantage of the optical output then the Creative Labs should work fine, I just haven't used any of their products in years so I couldn't tell you what'll be good and what won't.

-------
UPDATE: Just tried running my E10 through the PS3, it only recognizes it for voice, so maybe I was mistaken. Perhaps you may want to stick with the Creative Labs, Sleeps7alk3r.
REUPDATE: Sleeps7alk3r, take a look at the "Firestone FUBAR IV." It's more expensive, but it's got what you want and I think it'd outperform the Creative Labs.
or the "Zero DAC", which is liked on Head-Fi and can be found easily on eBay for less than the Creative Labs.
-------
Researching amps with optical inputs, I came across the Sennheiser Orpheus... wtf? Does anyone know anything about this beast?

Looks like the Headstreamer is USB only, HRT's offerings are really good though, but with a phone like your Senn, the improvements won't be as dramatic as you'd think since your phones are rated at 50 OHMs and should be reasonably efficient so long as you're not plugging them into an iPod. Any receiver ought to do the trick so long as it can output a clean, noise free signal. A USB/DAC is a must if you plan on using a laptop/PC as a source though cause the headphone inputs have similar output power as a portable media player and tend to be poorly shielded, resulting in a lot of noise/signal distortion.

EDIT: Nevermind. Thank you again, pax217.

No optics input, but USB is a digital input anyway so it'll be the same signal (which is only 2ch anyway). If you really want to take advantage of the optical output then the Creative Labs should work fine, I just haven't used any of their products in years so I couldn't tell you what'll be good and what won't.

-------
UPDATE: Just tried running my E10 through the PS3, it only recognizes it for voice, so maybe I was mistaken. Perhaps you may want to stick with the Creative Labs, Sleeps7alk3r.
REUPDATE: Sleeps7alk3r, take a look at the "Firestone FUBAR IV." It's more expensive, but it's got what you want and I think it'd outperform the Creative Labs.
-------
Researching amps with optical inputs, I came across the Sennheiser Orpheus... wtf? Does anyone know anything about this beast?

Great. Because I was just skimming over the comments in an unboxing of the Creative Labs and one said that neither the DAC or the amp were very good, not audiophile or studio grade.
whatever that means...

pax217

EDIT: Nevermind. Thank you again, pax217.

Great. Because I was just skimming over the comments in an unboxing of the Creative Labs and one said that neither the DAC or the amp were very good, not audiophile or studio grade.
whatever that means...

Happy to help.

I more-or-less don't think the "Creative Labs X-Fi [enter marketing labels here]" DAC would have been the best choice, especially for the money. I think that "Zero DAC" should do you just fine, even though I haven't heard it (others seem to like it a lot, especially after a prolonged burn-in period).

Geneijin

The Aune Mini DAC X1 might be a option, but I haven't read enough about the newer Aune product.

http://en.auneaudio.com/html/en_products/NewDesign/X-Series/X1-Series/

The Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 could be another attractive choice, but I've heard average things about the headphone amp. Still, it should be adequate for a HD558.

Yeah, I had no luck with my Matrix Cube either. It would have been nice if it did.

Helmholtz

The Brainwavz HM5s are literally rebranded Fischer Audio FA-003s. They are very good neutral cans, maybe even the best available depending on your tastes. They are light, comfy and have excellent detail and you should be able to to drive them quite easily from an iPhone etc without an amp. They are highly recommended and rather cheap too, IIRC. NeoGAF user Cajunator has the Fischer Audio FA-003s (again, exact same headphone), so he can perhaps further advise on what to expect.
The Brainwavz HM5 are in stock now, and they're extending the pre-order price of $120 until Sunday I believe. I ordered a pair myself. Don't know a ton about them, but from what I've heard (including the quoted post), they're supposed to be pretty good, so I'm excited. I decided to go amp-less for now. Free shipping worldwide is a plus for me, since I live in Canada :)

K.Jack

But how much did you pay?

$79 = RE0
$99 = RE-ZERO

If you paid the latter, you need to make a fuss. The ZERO is superior, just in my opinion and experience with the two.

Fun Fact: HifiMan pronounces the RE0 as R-E-Oh

Top Bottom