• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

see5harp

I'm going to have to send some of those cheap AIAIAI Pipe phones in for replacement. Customer service response was pretty fast but jesus I really have to send them to Denmark? They really need to get distribution in the U.S. I all of the sudden don't want to spend the money for the TMA phones.

I recently ordered DD770 80ohm cans, with a Fiio 6. While they sound great, I think I was expecting a little more. I'm wondering if a Fiio6 is too small of an amp to power these through a work laptops integrated sound? Also, I've been streaming through pandora one's high quality. Would i notice a difference in quality if i listened to some 320 br music?

Tess3ract

Banned
Is there any real difference between FLAC and ALAC? I've been slowly replacing my MP3s with lossless versions, and as an Apple user I'm leaning towards ALAC, but most people seem to use FLAC.
Use flac instead of alac because flac is more widely supported.

LCfiner

Except good luck playing it on the ones that arent if you have it in alac...

Not everyone can afford an ipod or iphone

if you are using equipment that allows you to hear differences between FLAC and, say, 320 mp3, then you're using headphones that cost about the same as an iPad and more than an iPod. plus a separate, portable amp/dac.

money isn't the issue here. convenience is.

KJTB

1. Are you sure you're past the 1 year of manufacturer's warranty AIAIAI provides?

2. Even an out of warranty repair will be much cheaper than a whole new set of $200+ cans

3. In any way you should contact AIAIAI. Their customer service might surprise you.

I'll have to give it a shot, for sure.

pax217

I'll have to give it a shot, for sure.

Glad to hear. You really already bought one of the better pairs in that price range, there's no need to get anything else unless you don't like them.

if you are using equipment that allows you to hear differences between FLAC and, say, 320 mp3, then you're using headphones that cost about the same as an iPad and more than an iPod. plus a separate, portable amp/dac.

money isn't the issue here. convenience is.

This is true. I want to disagree because I'm the "value" guy (aka cheap, as my girlfriend would say), but it took a lot for me to be able to notice the difference in file types... through speakers.

I still don't have a headphone setup that can really tell the difference between Robert Downey Jr's album in uncompressed WAV vs 320 MP3 (maybe slightly on the computer, but no way on the mobile), but it took almost $3k in a 2.1 system to really make audio shine for me... and I'm still not satisfied... damn you, western culture.

Alright, so I'm negotiating a deal with a guy sellin the Westone ES5, so I may be leaving the universal realm. If that happens, I'll probably be selling off a couple of my phones here. ASG-1, SM3 and Ex-600 may be up for grabs. :/

Alucrid

Banned
Alright, so I'm negotiating a deal with a guy sellin the Westone ES5, so I may be leaving the universal realm. If that happens, I'll probably be selling off a couple of my phones here. ASG-1, SM3 and Ex-600 may be up for grabs. :/

Hmmm. How would you say the impact and quantity of bass compares between the SM3 and ASG-1s?

Hmmm. How would you say the impact and quantity of bass compares between the SM3 and ASG-1s?

They're pretty close in terms of quantity, and impact. I'd say the bass on the ASG-1 is tighter through A/Bing the phones. The primary difference between the two, is the presentation and mids. I think the SM3 sounds more enveloping due to the mids being so forward, and they are a lot smoother overall, the SM3's mids are very lush sounding. I don't ever get listening fatigue from the SM3, even after hours of listening.

The ASG-1, though more detailed, seems to fatigue me after a few hours of listening, an issue which will likely be addressed once Dale sends out those filters. I'd give tone to the ASG-1 too, but dynamics have a leg up on BA phones there. At the moment, I wouldn't really put either over the other, they both have their strengths. I was just shocked that Aurisonics put out a phone that genuinely gave the SM3 a run for its money at quite a bit less.

Alucrid

Banned
They're pretty close in terms of quantity, and impact. I'd say the bass on the ASG-1 is tighter through A/Bing the phones. The primary difference between the two, is the presentation and mids. I think the SM3 sounds more enveloping due to the mids being so forward, and they are a lot smoother overall, the SM3's mids are very lush sounding. I don't ever get listening fatigue from the SM3, even after hours of listening.

The ASG-1, though more detailed, seems to fatigue me after a few hours of listening, an issue which will likely be addressed once Dale sends out those filters. I'd give tone to the ASG-1 too, but dynamics have a leg up on BA phones there. At the moment, I wouldn't really put either over the other, they both have their strengths. I was just shocked that Aurisonics put out a phone that genuinely gave the SM3 a run for its money at quite a bit less.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the run down, I was hoping they'd be a bit different in terms of bass. I think I'm going to wait and see if a pair of UM3X comes up on headfi then. I tried to get used to the midrange of the ASG-1s, but it wasn't working and even with the filter in the works I feel iffy. I still found the mids to be fatiguing/harsh for me at least, especially snares.

XOhgn.jpg

Fuck...

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Fuck. :(

XOhgn.jpg

Fuck...

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Fuck. :(

If you really liked them, you can have them remolded into customs by InEarz. Otherwise it's time to upgrade baby :D

Alucrid - Hmmm, seems like you are leaning more toward the analytical side of things. The UM3X and SM3 are supposed to be pretty close technically, but totally different presentation wise. That's what I'm getting from Joker's comparison. Doesn't sound like the UM3X would be my bag though. I can see a UM Miracle or UERM in your future if you ever get into customs.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
In case anyone was curious, I bought the Beats Mixrs just to try them at my house for a long period of time in a controlled environment.

Long story short: they sounded just like the Beats Solos to a T...overly bassy and washed out mids/highs. They will be going back to Best Buy promptly.

...I had to know!

In case anyone was curious, I bought the Beats Mixrs just to try them at my house for a long period of time in a controlled environment.

Long story short: they sounded just like the Beats Solos to a T...overly bassy and washed out mids/highs. They will be going back to Best Buy promptly.

...I had to know!

...wait... Are your listening tastes evolving? Weren't you just fine with that sort of sound before?

I ended up buying the Westone ES5s. Part of me wonders how much time and money I would have saved if I just jumped straight into customs, but I'm glad I took the scenic route if only to appreciate the leaps and sidesteps in quality that different sets of phones bring

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Don't give me too much credit. The set I'm rocking now are the B&W P5's which apparently aren't all that revered in the audiophile community as an amazingly good set for the price.

I'm more than willing to spend the money on cans that look insanely great, feel great on my head, and isolate incredibly well. The sound quality to my ears isn't perfect...the sub-bass is noticeably weaker than I'd expect given the amazing mid-bass...but all the other perks more than make up for it to me for now.

I'd read that the Mixrs had a combination of the Solo's bass with the Pros more improved upper register. To my ears it was a muddy mess. The bass felt great, but SLAUGHTERED the rest of the sound spectrum.

My P5s seem like very good all arounders. Not $300 worth of sound quality, but easily $300 worth of product when you consider the total package in my opinion. Love the portability and style.

Get'sMad

Sennheiser's customer service is the shit. Left headphone on my 2 year old 600s went out and I sent them in a week ago and got them back today. They replaced both drivers and threw in new earpads and a cable as well. I have to burn these things again, but oh well, I have a new pair of headphones basically.

pax217

Sennheiser's customer service is the shit. Left headphone on my 2 year old 600s went out and I sent them in a week ago and got them back today. They replaced both drivers and threw in new earpads and a cable as well. I have to burn these things again, but oh well, I have a new pair of headphones basically.

I'm considering HD650's as my next pair of cans, this helps. Thanks.

That's fucking awesome. No wonder they have such a fanbase!

see5harp

I'm about to spring for some new Sennheiser's. I really would like to stick to a small company like AIAIAI but I just don't wanna deal with having to ship stuff to Denmark.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm about to spring for some new Sennheiser's. I really would like to stick to a small company like AIAIAI but I just don't wanna deal with having to ship stuff to Denmark.

You are in the US, so there's no need to worry.

AIAIAI had a Maryland address for me when my TMA-1s needed servicing.

Turnaround was about a week and some change, and they sent me a brand new pair, in retail box with all of the accessories.

Is there a any chance that Amazon could have simply remitted the same item I returned as a new one?

Because if that's not the case I'm done with Sennheiser. This time I'm sure as shit the left can on my 558's is louder than the right.

I kept thinking I was slightly deaf on my right ear until it occured to me to wear the headphones backwards. My right was cured, now my left ear was going deaf.

It's bugging the shit out of me. I don't care if I sound like a brat/bitch, but that's just the way it is.

Could you please suggest a comparable or even better set of 'phones in the $200-300 range? (can go beyond $300, too, if it's worth it.)

Thank you, in advance.

EDIT:

Great. I happen to slam Sennheiser on the same page everyone is raving about them...

Ashhong

Is there a any chance that Amazon could have simply remitted the same item I returned as a new one?

Because if that's not the case I'm done with Sennheiser. This time I'm sure as shit the left can on my 558's is louder than the right.

I kept thinking I was slightly deaf on my right ear until it occured to me to wear the headphones backwards. My right was cured, now my left ear was going deaf.

It's bugging the shit out of me. I don't care if I sound like a brat/bitch, but that's just the way it is.

Could you please suggest a comparable or even better set of 'phones in the $200-300 range? (can go beyond $300, too, if it's worth it.)

Thank you, in advance.

EDIT:

Great. I happen to slam Sennheiser on the same page everyone is raving about them...

I dont see Amazon doing that, but I would try one more time if you like the headphones and sound.

The Boat

So I just got my JVC HARX 700 and they sound amazing! I'm not really an audio expert, but they sound super balanced, the bass isn't too deep but it's there and the trebles are very pleasant and well defined.
They're also really comfortable and the build quality seems pretty good for the price.
Maybe I'm speaking nonsense, but those are my first impressions :p

Now for some questions:
1) For the break-in is there any specific kind of music I should feed the beast or will anything do? Should I just leave them hooked to the pc/mp3 player for as long as possible and play whatever I have?

2) Also, all my poor PC has is an on-board sound card, something I need to fix, so I'm wondering is there a big difference between hooking the headphones to the speakers (which is more useful because I can adjust the volume easily) or directly to the pc?

3) When hooked to the speakers/pc no sound is playing I hear some very faint static in the back (if the volume is turned somewhat high, but not that high), what's up with that?

Thanks in advance and thank you for the recommendation!

Alucrid

Banned
So I just got my JVC HARX 700 and they sound amazing! I'm not really an audio expert, but they sound super balanced, the bass isn't too deep but it's there and the trebles are very pleasant and well defined.
They're also really comfortable and the build quality seems pretty good for the price.
Maybe I'm speaking nonsense, but those are my first impressions :p

Now for some questions:
1) For the break-in is there any specific kind of music I should feed the beast or will anything do? Should I just leave them hooked to the pc/mp3 player for as long as possible and play whatever I have?

2) Also, all my poor PC has is an on-board sound card, something I need to fix, so I'm wondering is there a big difference between hooking the headphones to the speakers (which is more useful because I can adjust the volume easily) or directly to the pc?

3) When hooked to the speakers/pc no sound is playing I hear some very faint static in the back (if the volume is turned somewhat high, but not that high), what's up with that?

Thanks in advance and thank you for the recommendation!

1) Doesn't matter. Just listen to music normally.

2) Probably won't make a difference.

3) Probably the onboard sound card.

pax217

I dont see Amazon doing that, but I would try one more time if you like the headphones and sound.

This.

Thank you, in advance.

EDIT:

...and you're 100% sure it isn't the source that's doing it?

mhayze

Finally sent my HD600s in to Sennheiser to get repaired. If they send me back a refurbished pair (which they did when I had a problem with some 595s) I'm thinking about selling those and then grabbing some 650s....we shall see.

I have a pair of each - the 650 is more of a sideways move, mainly a slightly sweeter treble, and.. different bass - but still these two sound quite similar unless you hear them back to back Maybe slightly clearer, but some of that may be the cables too. I don't have stock cables on either any more.

For years, these were my primary headphones. The 650s are a great example of scalability - they sound better and better as you move up to higher end amps (especially balanced amps) because they can move the somewhat slow drivers with more authority. There are now some really interesting choices in this price range though, I don't know if I'd buy the 650s any more as my primary headphones, because they have a relatively pronounced upper bass tilt that colors the sound (but in a fairly musical way) and not as fast as some other choices in this tier. Because they've been available for many years, you can often pick up a good used pair on head-fi, and parts are easy to find as well.

Wolfwood0

Neo Member

Ashhong

Thanks. I should look into getting a cheap sound card.

It's definitely the sound card. Something about interference and grounding. I have asked that before and people have posted a 20$ soundcard on newegg that is supposed to be good. I haven't actually purchased it and can't remember the card though...

The Boat

It's definitely the sound card. Something about interference and grounding. I have asked that before and people have posted a 20$ soundcard on newegg that is supposed to be good. I haven't actually purchased it and can't remember the card though...

If you do please post it here :)

Talon

Absolutely thrilled with my AIAIAI TMA-1s. It's a little bass heavy, but the detail's all there. Honestly, it's fun to listen to all my old favorite songs and catch new details.

It doesn't sound quite as nice as my roommate's Grado's, but these are perfect for commuting/work.

Ashhong

With an onboard amp it's well worth it. It's already easting massively into the space for $100 cards.

$22 AR and SH is hard to argue.

Hmmmm that rebate doesn't say only newegg. I assume I can use it at Amazon? I currently have a Sony stereo plugged into my comps motherboard, and acts as my amp for my headphones. Would it be dumb to keep that for when I use my headphones? I would then basically be going through 2 amps...

Darkatomz

Hmmmm that rebate doesn't say only newegg. I assume I can use it at Amazon? I currently have a Sony stereo plugged into my comps motherboard, and acts as my amp for my headphones. Would it be dumb to keep that for when I use my headphones? I would then basically be going through 2 amps...
Dual amping = bad.

Ashhong

Dual amping = bad.

Hm...then that poses a predicament. I use this stereo as my main PC speakers....I guess I could leave them connected to the motherboard and connect my headphones to the soundcard. I'd just have to go and switch between the 2 through Windows. Oh well I guess

see5harp

You are in the US, so there's no need to worry.

AIAIAI had a Maryland address for me when my TMA-1s needed servicing.

Turnaround was about a week and some change, and they sent me a brand new pair, in retail box with all of the accessories.

I just sent an email to ask whether my earbuds can be serviced here. Crossing my fingers. If they hook me up here I'll have no problem getting some tma's at full price.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I just sent an email to ask whether my earbuds can be serviced here. Crossing my fingers. If they hook me up here I'll have no problem getting some tma's at full price.

Did you fill out the return form on the website first? LINK.

After that custo service should send you an email with the address of the US distribution partner.

Top Bottom