• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Yeah it mentions the balanced plug and everything. Kraft Street either made a mistake or is trying to pull a fast one.

Bottom line is you didn't get what you paid for, so go get them

Should have a new set tomorrow afternoon, we'll see. I hope they aren't trying to be sneaky, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Ashhong

Yeah it mentions the balanced plug and everything. Kraft Street either made a mistake or is trying to pull a fast one.

Bottom line is you didn't get what you paid for, so go get them

He said the packaging said RE-ZERO but the phones are RE-0
lol.gif
sounds fishy!

purg3

slept with Malkin
picked up a pair of Sennheiser pads for my grado's. They seem to make a little bit of difference comfort wise. I only have a couple of hours on them since I got them earlier in the week, but damn do they start to hurt after a bit. Kind of new comfort wasn't going to be top of the list with these, but shit lol. At least these pads seem to alleviate that a bit, plus I like the way they look with them.

jpMX5.jpg

thatbox

Banned
picked up a pair of Sennheiser pads for my grado's. They seem to make a little bit of difference comfort wise. I only have a couple of hours on them since I got them earlier in the week, but damn do they start to hurt after a bit. Kind of new comfort wasn't going to be top of the list with these, but shit lol. At least these pads seem to alleviate that a bit, plus I like the way they look with them.

jpMX5.jpg

Doesn't that put the drivers too far away from your ears?

Yeah, it's really weird. There is a rather official looking label affixed along one side of the package that says RE-ZERO, has a barcode and stuff, but then every place else its obviously RE-0.

Woot, I got the correct RE-ZERO's today. The little label on the side says the same thing as the incorrect RE0's I got, so I'm guessing it was an honest mistake.

edit: Sampled a few things, I'm really liking them so far. I bought these to use at work, but man, I kind of want them for home use, even though I know I wouldn't use them often. The detail and clarity is just amazing. I compared them to an old pair of Sennheiser HD 280's I have, and it's a night and day difference.

Woot, I got the correct RE-ZERO's today. The little label on the side says the same thing as the incorrect RE0's I got, so I'm guessing it was an honest mistake.

edit: Sampled a few things, I'm really liking them so far. I bought these to use at work, but man, I kind of want them for home use, even though I know I wouldn't use them often. The detail and clarity is just amazing. I compared them to an old pair of Sennheiser HD 280's I have, and it's a night and day difference.

Glad you like them. If that's your preferred signature, you'd have to spend quite a bit more if you're looking for a phone that's more detailed than the RE-0/Zero (2-4x actually)

pax217

That's good to hear. The plan was to stick with these for however long they last (hopefully its a while).

I know there's a lot of complaints about the RE-Zero's durability, but if you just take care of them (ie. Don't toss them around, pull them by the cable, etc) then they'll last you as long as you'd like.

maggiespharmer

Neo Member
I recently purchased a pair of sennheiser hd428 for cheap. I am satisfied with them for the price but I feel they are lacking a bit of warmth and bass. I use them with my iPod touch and understand it might not be driving them to their full potential. I'm looking into purchasing a portable amp I can take to work and use at home occasionally. I'm pretty much sold on the fiio e7 at this point but was just wondering if gaf had any experience with it and suggestions to a better alternative at the same price range (around $100)

Max

I am not Max
I'm looking at the Fiio E17 at the moment and was wondering if it would be a good idea to have with my HD558's for use with my PC

like this; headphones > e17 powered through USB > motherboard

Is this possible? What other wires do I need?

LCfiner

I'm looking at the Fiio E17 at the moment and was wondering if it would be a good idea to have with my HD558's for use with my PC

like this; headphones > e17 powered through USB > motherboard

Is this possible? What other wires do I need?

that’s the exact purpose d the the E17, so, yes, it’s possible. all you need is a USB cable, that comes with the E17. that will provide both power and digital audio data.

I’ve read good things about the E17 but I don’t know if you need to spend that kind of money if you only plan on using 558s for the foreseeable future. if you think you might move up to, say, the sennheiser HD600 or 650 down the line, then, yeah, you could invest in the E17 now.

Sh1ner

I'd use some of the product searchers out there, I'm finding SE425s for about $225 on eBay (the equivalent of 150ish pounds?)

As for IEMs that sound that good, the only thing I can think of in that price range are the Sony EX600s. I only had them for a few days (not broken in yet) before I returned them to buy the ASG-1's (of which I haven't yet because I'm a moron), but they were great and I will definitely be buying another pair of them after I get the ASG-1/portable amp situation in place.

Which reminds me, if you're going to be spending in that range, you should really check out the Aurisonics ASG-1's. Ha ha.

Bought for £190 without custom tips. I thank you for your input pax217. My ears will owe you a debt of gratitude when they arrive.

I have also added an order comment of mentioning that neogaf is reccomending the AG-1s and requested if they could give us a discount code new customers gaf sends its way. Slim chance but I thought what the hell :)

Max

I am not Max
that’s the exact purpose d the the E17, so, yes, it’s possible. all you need is a USB cable, that comes with the E17. that will provide both power and digital audio data.

I’ve read good things about the E17 but I don’t know if you need to spend that kind of money if you only plan on using 558s for the foreseeable future. if you think you might move up to, say, the sennheiser HD600 or 650 down the line, then, yeah, you could invest in the E17 now.

Sounds perfect then. I'm not worried about the price of it, and it is always good to have for if I ever buy even better headphones in the future, then

edit: nevermind

Dynamic3

What's the best Windows (and Mac if different) application to convert my FLAC library to ALAC? Also, is their any loss of quality when converting or does it stay lossless?

Thanks.

hypernima

Banned
I'm looking for something similar for my Sennheiser 515HDs

I got them for 50 on amazon some time ago. I was wondering if it was still possible to get that good a deal on headphones still? Anyone got some recommendations?

I need to stop reading this thread. I keep thinking I need this or that. I need to take stock, and just listen to my SR80i's. With the proper setup, I can't imagine a better sound.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Something that frustrates me is reading headphone reviews. I recently got the B&W P5's because I love how well they isolate and how comfortable they are...and they look amazing. I know the audio lacks sub bass, has pumped up mid-bass and has tapered highs...why? Because I read a thousand reviews! I definitely hear what they are saying now that I listen for it...but I think grading any colored headphones gets really tricky. The EQ of the headset was likely done for a specific purpose and sound. Naturally this won't cater to everyone and it isn't trying to be reference.

When I just listen to music and make my own decisions about quality I seem to walk away a lot happier. Knowing about the sound signature on my headphones makes me think about headphones instead of music...and that sucks.

Something that frustrates me is reading headphone reviews. I recently got the B&W P5's because I love how well they isolate and how comfortable they are...and they look amazing. I know the audio lacks sub bass, has pumped up mid-bass and has tapered highs...why? Because I read a thousand reviews! I definitely hear what they are saying now that I listen for it...but I think grading any colored headphones gets really tricky. The EQ of the headset was likely done for a specific propose and sound. Naturally this won't cater to everyone and it isn't trying to be reference.

When I just listen to music and make my own decisions about quality I seem to walk away a lot happier. Knowing about the sound signature on my headphones makes me think about headphones instead of music...and that sucks.

I agree. But even if I don't read reviews, the character of the headphones becomes apparent over time. I had the Sony MDR7506 for years and I began to realize that I couldn't listen to them after 2 or 3 hours. Then I read some reviews and saw lots of people complaining about "mid-range fatigue" - and that's exactly what it was.

pax217

I need to stop reading this thread. I keep thinking I need this or that. I need to take stock, and just listen to my SR80i's. With the proper setup, I can't imagine a better sound.

I think the same thing, but different headphones will serve different purposes in sound for sure. I wouldn't bother listening to music or watching movies with my SR80i, but I don't bother listening to anything but them when playing PC games-- they're just what I need for gaming... But for music, I require a more defined stage and therefore prefer the higher level Grados, and for movies I tend to use my home theater but will periodically find myself with a closed pair of headphones on.

It really depends on what you're doing.

Stick around and contribute. A lot of people think they need to spend a ton, they don't. They need to spend what they want to get the most utility out of their purchase.

LCfiner

Let me tell you. there is better sound. :p

I like my Grados, but there's headphones out there that provide more and better bass, less shrill highs, and significantly more realistic soundstage and instrument positioning.

I'm not suggesting you break the bank, but there's definitely a long way to go above the SR80 for under 500 dollars.

Anyway, I bought this DAC/Amp off of Amazon on the basis of them having an optical input and 6.35 mm 'phone out, and man am I let down.

The sound is pretty much bass-less (I'm not a bass freak, I'm just stating what I heard).

It sounds flat and trebly, like there's no punch to anything. The Low/High Gain switch only makes things hush quiet or loud as fuck.

It's currently hooked up to my PS3 and so far the only game I've played let out this super loud static noise and played no sound whatsoever, even after the game had loaded.

For comparisons sake, I had my headphones (Sennheiser HD 558) plugged into a Sony home theater receiver and the sound was punchy, wide, crisp and defined. This thing just sounds cheap, in my opinion.

Is there anything I can do, or is this what it is?

pax217

It's currently hooked up to my PS3 and so far the only game I've played let out this super loud static noise and played no sound whatsoever, even after the game had loaded.

Yikes, sorry to hear, sounds like a nightmare.

The static and then silence you're hearing is the amp's inability to decode whatever it is the PS3 is putting out. Try changing your PS3's output to optical, and then PCM only, not 5+ channel Dolby Digital or DTS.

All-in-all, I'd check the return policy of the seller if you're not happy with the sound of the amp with your headphones.

This is the same problem I mentioned I had with my Grados on my Onkyo receiver awhile ago.

Yikes, sorry to hear, sounds like a nightmare.

The static and then silence you're hearing is the amp's inability to decode whatever it is the PS3 is putting out. Try changing your PS3's output to optical, and then PCM only, not 5+ channel Dolby Digital or DTS.

All-in-all, I'd check the return policy of the seller if you're not happy with the sound of the amp with your headphones.

This is the same problem I mentioned I had with my Grados on my Onkyo receiver awhile ago.

Yup. I imagined that was it and changed it. Still the quality was subpar.

Either way, this thing's going back to where it came from and I, well, gotta learn to read up before buying shit.

What's your take on Turtle Beach DSS or that Creative Labs x-fi I mentioned days earlier?

pax217

Yup. I imagined that was it and changed it. Still the quality was subpar.

Either way, this thing's going back to where it came from and I, well, gotta learn to read up before buying shit.

What's your take on Turtle Beach DSS or that Creative Labs x-fi I mentioned days earlier?

Sorry to hear it didn't work out.

As for Turtle Beach, I've only heard their headphones, and I didn't like them (at all)-- but it looks like there are a lot of reviews for the DSS processor and they seem generally positive, a bit lower for the DSS2. I would consider it if I was in your shoes.

As for the Creative Labs X-Fi, I'd do some reading up on how it performs with the PS3. There's got to be something out there on it. The Turtle Beach DSS is designed to do exactly what you're looking for, while the Creative Labs is designed for a lot of different applications (as is the amp you purchased) and you might run into a similar problem, and if you do, Creative Labs support is horrid.

A good way to test whatever it is you buy is to listen to your favorite song (one you've heard a million times, know the ins-and-outs of every note, doesn't matter what genre as long as there's instruments) a few times through and try to pick out what you're hearing both in tone, and sound stage.

KJTB

Sup Gaf, I'm back again looking for a new set of headphones :) Last year you guys really helped me out with my decision to get myself a nice pair of the AIAIAI TMA-1 but unfortunately the left side is basically dead after some abuse (I accidentally dropped them like an idiot, I wanted to cry D:) and even more unfortunate is that I don't have a warranty for them.

Anyway, I have quite a bit of cash saved up and considering my birthday is coming up I figured I'd treat myself to a pair of nice, new headphones! (not to mention that the money I get from my birthday will help pay for the new cans ;D). I'm looking for headphones in the 200-250 price range that has at least decent bass. I'd also prefer to have closed headphones but will consider open headphones.I won't go over 300 dollars because I just can't afford that :/ Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance guys, love this thread!

TLDR: Need a new set of close headphones for 200-250 dollar price range.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out.

As for Turtle Beach, I've only heard their headphones, and I didn't like them (at all)-- but it looks like there are a lot of reviews for the DSS processor and they seem generally positive, a bit lower for the DSS2. I would consider it if I was in your shoes.

As for the Creative Labs X-Fi, I'd do some reading up on how it performs with the PS3. There's got to be something out there on it. The Turtle Beach DSS is designed to do exactly what you're looking for, while the Creative Labs is designed for a lot of different applications (as is the amp you purchased) and you might run into a similar problem, and if you do, Creative Labs support is horrid.

A good way to test whatever it is you buy is to listen to your favorite song (one you've heard a million times, know the ins-and-outs of every note, doesn't matter what genre as long as there's instruments) a few times through and try to pick out what you're hearing both in tone, and sound stage.

Eh... I opted to just get a receiver that I could take with me to college for about the same price. As you said any decent receiver would do the job with these headphones. This one is a Pioneer VSX-921-K 7.1 3D etc, etc... So, I'm good. :)

what are the best iPhone compatible earbuds for around 130 euros/170 dollars?

currently I have these BOSE earbuds.

Apparently Bose aren't as good as I thought and I'd like to upgrade.

In-Ears make my head hurt.

I'd take a look at some of the Blox and Yuin phones. Blox' M2C are a great value at $40 (?) I think. Yuin's OK1 are their top of the line earphone, so I'd research that if you're curious how far your dollar will take you (though, at 150 ohms, you will have to amp it). Sennheiser has a really great top tier earbud too, but the model name escapes me at the moment. And finall, Blox are supposed to be coming out with a new bud that blows the doors off of the competition. No word on ETA at the moment, (so you might want to just grab the M2C to tide you over and upgrade down the line.) but the members of Head-Fi who've had a chance to hear it say Blox have definitely got something special on their hands

remz

Sup Gaf, I'm back again looking for a new set of headphones :) Last year you guys really helped me out with my decision to get myself a nice pair of the AIAIAI TMA-1 but unfortunately the left side is basically dead after some abuse (I accidentally dropped them like an idiot, I wanted to cry D:) and even more unfortunate is that I don't have a warranty for them.

Anyway, I have quite a bit of cash saved up and considering my birthday is coming up I figured I'd treat myself to a pair of nice, new headphones! (not to mention that the money I get from my birthday will help pay for the new cans ;D). I'm looking for headphones in the 200-250 price range that has at least decent bass. I'd also prefer to have closed headphones but will consider open headphones.I won't go over 300 dollars because I just can't afford that :/ Any recommendations?

Are you sure they're dead? could just be a busted (removable) cable? just wondering because sometimes the cable on mine slips out a bit...

LCfiner

what are the best iPhone compatible earbuds for around 130 euros/170 dollars?

currently I have these BOSE earbuds.

Apparently Bose aren't as good as I thought and I'd like to upgrade.

In-Ears make my head hurt.

In addition to the Blox and Yuin stuff, look into the Sennhesier MX 980 (quite a bit more expensive, though).

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_expression-line_502870

I’ve read good things. top notch earbuds. And they should be available from some large stores making it easy to return, juts in case.

Ashhong

You really gotta try them out and see what fit your ears. Nothing have fit my ears better than cheap Senns CX300. I've come to prefer them over my meelectronics IEM buds at the gym.

Is there any real difference between FLAC and ALAC? I've been slowly replacing my MP3s with lossless versions, and as an Apple user I'm leaning towards ALAC, but most people seem to use FLAC.

The Sennheiser ones are the only ones I found on our local Amazon. Yuin and Blox are nowhere to be found. :/

You'd have to go to their respective sites I believe. I don't think Blox sells through other vendors.

Is there any real difference between FLAC and ALAC? I've been slowly replacing my MP3s with lossless versions, and as an Apple user I'm leaning towards ALAC, but most people seem to use FLAC.

They are both lossless formats, so no, there shouldn't be any difference between the two where sound quality is concerned.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

1. Are you sure you're past the 1 year of manufacturer's warranty AIAIAI provides?

2. Even an out of warranty repair will be much cheaper than a whole new set of $200+ cans

3. In any way you should contact AIAIAI. Their customer service might surprise you.

Top Bottom