• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

pax217

So is there a consensus on the best overall ear buds or the most comfortable ones on the market?

The simple answer is "no." Different people prefer different things. I prefer full accuracy in my sound, to what it was intended to be (and sometimes that means it sounds like crap), while others may prefer warmer tones or might be bassheads.

There are, however, many pairs of IEMs that stand out in their respective price range... so the question is, what's the price range we're talking about?

pax217

Dammit, I went to Amazon and saw they had a rebate that ended yesterday for 10$. Would have made it 17$ shipped :(

Rebate is still up for me, in U.S., if that makes a difference.

I really want one of the Xonars (DG, D1, Essence) or one of those HT Omega (Claro?) cards, I am still using a Creative Labs ZS2 from like 10 years ago.

Ashhong

Rebate is still up for me, in U.S., if that makes a difference.

I really want one of the Xonars (DG, D1, Essence) or one of those HT Omega (Claro?) cards, I am still using a Creative Labs ZS2 from like 10 years ago.

Yea a new one started on April 1. Showed up on Amazon after I posted that. Already ordered :D

yarden24

hi headphone gaf,
I was wondering if anyone could help me, I want to buy a pair of in ear earphones,with I hope good sound quality for no more then say 60-70$,
if I could get some recommendations it would be very much appreciated!

hi headphone gaf,
I was wondering if anyone could help me, I want to buy a pair of in ear earphones,with I hope good sound quality for no more then say 60-70$,
if I could get some recommendations it would be very much appreciated!

What kind of music do you listen to?

ES5's just got delivered according to DHL, 'cept... I'm sitting here at work :l eh well, probably a good thing seeing how they won't fit my ears anyhow :l

hmm mostly rock and electronic music, not very bass heavy

iems hopefully

There's a lot of buzz on the Thermaltake Isurus over at Head-Fi. They are allegedly rebadged Audio Technica CK-99s, so clean presentation, great extension on both ends, and would be good for rock and electronic according to the OP. They go for about $30-40 it seems. I don't have much experience with budget offerings though, so I'd do the research before pulling the trigger, but... They sound like they're phones that are punching at the $100 price range from what I've read about them

Ashhong

That's because they keep you looking cool when you wear them.

lol.gif

Those do intrigue me though. I could use new IEMs to replace my M21s. Is there any word on that more bass heavy hifiman product?

yarden24

There's a lot of buzz on the Thermaltake Isurus over at Head-Fi. They are allegedly rebadged Audio Technica CK-99s, so clean presentation, great extension on both ends, and would be good for rock and electronic according to the OP. They go for about $30-40 it seems. I don't have much experience with budget offerings though, so I'd do the research before pulling the trigger, but... They sound like they're phones that are punching at the $100 price range from what I've read about them

hey ill happily pay less if its the best, but I can find those for less then 30$, are there better quality headphones for more cash but still in my price range?

pax217

hey ill happily pay less if its the best, but I can find those for less then 30$, are there better quality headphones for more cash but still in my price range?

If you want to pay more, the CC51's are in that range... just remember that price doesn't always denote quality, otherwise Beats and Bose headphones would be in the $30 range instead of 5 to 10x that.

Ashhong

"Best" is highly subjective unfortunately. A phone like the HifiMan RE-O or the RE-Zero are two of the most technically capable phones at the $100-150 price range, but their linear presentation isn't going to be for everyone. Some people like more of a midrange (like myself) or bass oriented signature because it sounds more engaging to them. Unfortunately, most of us can only offer impressions that are informed by our own ears. I want to state that I've read reviews by people who have a lot more experience with equipment than I do, and I simply hear things differently than they do.

So, use other's impressions to form a general idea of what something might sound like, but let your ears guide you. A lot of people who get into this hobby do end up buying and reselling a lot of gear trying to find that one phone that can satisfy their needs.

Anyway, if you don't feel like going with the Thermaltake, I'd recommend the Sunrise Xcape Impressive Edition. It has good clarity, with a warmer, fuller sound signature, thought it may be outside your price range by just a bit.

qcf x2

This has probably been answered a few times already, but are there any quality iphone replacement earbuds? And by iphone replacement I mean something with a mic so I can use it to answer calls and such.

So, my dad prettty much stole my headphones and now I need some new ones.

What's the best I can get for under 50$?

Been hearing some good things about JVC HA-RX700.

Also: they absolutely MUST be comfortable.

I suggest getting a new dad first.

Zing! Nah, he's alright, his old ones were competely dead so he hijacked mine... but he gave me 50$ to go buy some new ones.

Right now I'm using some old ones that my girlfriend had... very comfy, but they sound like shit, lol.

A couple friends of mine have picked up those Bowers and Wilkens P5 on ear Headphones, and they are pretty slick, but they are 300 bucks here in Canada, which is way to rich for me right now. I wouldnt get enough use out of them to justify that price right now.

Soooo, question is, whats out there thats closer to 100 bucks and is a small/low profile (like the P5s) on ear headphone?

The simple answer is "no." Different people prefer different things. I prefer full accuracy in my sound, to what it was intended to be (and sometimes that means it sounds like crap), while others may prefer warmer tones or might be bassheads.

There are, however, many pairs of IEMs that stand out in their respective price range... so the question is, what's the price range we're talking about?

I was thinking under $60.

Going along with the reviews, the Yuin Pk3 Earphones, Brainwavz M2 & the Sennheiser CX300 are the recommended bunch.

The reviews seem to be out of date though? anything better or from a company that has is the go to in sound quality?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
There is no easy answer like the one you seek.

It'd be better if you list the genres of music you listen to, and what matters most to you as far as sound (ie bass? treble?). Then someone can try to point you in the right direction.

I will tell you that anyone who recommends the CX300 for anything should be ignored. It's trash.

Grakl

I was thinking under $60.

Going along with the reviews, the Yuin Pk3 Earphones, Brainwavz M2 & the Sennheiser CX300 are the recommended bunch.

The reviews seem to be out of date though? anything better or from a company that has is the go to in sound quality?

I'm currently using the MEElectronics A151 buds. The company has excellent quality in pretty much all of their earbuds, and these are great as well. As the reviews note, unless you turn em up a bit you won't feel bass too much, but everything else is amazing for the price. One year warranty as well for a full refund.

If you need bass, I'd recommend the MDR-V6s and not some IEMs. These are comfortable and have a good amount of bass as well as great sound quality. It used to be $60 - I'm not sure why the price increased, but I'm sure you can find a lower price somewhere on the internet. Unfortunately, one of my wires failed on these and the left side doesn't work; not sure if I'm ever gonna fix it.

Just got the ES5s in a few hours ago. I was able to squeeze a pair of Complys on the end of the sound bore and get a decent seal just to sample their sound signature and... god damn.. the wait to get these things remolded is gonna be painful. Even without an optimal seal or the sound tubes not correctly oriented to fire directly into my ear canal, these things sound fucking nuts. The clarity, balance, detail, speed, separation and just overall fullness of the sound is unlike anything I've heard, god, I haven't been productive at all since these things arrived, I just keep playing ONE MORE song :/

yarden24

"Best" is highly subjective unfortunately. A phone like the HifiMan RE-O or the RE-Zero are two of the most technically capable phones at the $100-150 price range, but their linear presentation isn't going to be for everyone. Some people like more of a midrange (like myself) or bass oriented signature because it sounds more engaging to them. Unfortunately, most of us can only offer impressions that are informed by our own ears. I want to state that I've read reviews by people who have a lot more experience with equipment than I do, and I simply hear things differently than they do.

So, use other's impressions to form a general idea of what something might sound like, but let your ears guide you. A lot of people who get into this hobby do end up buying and reselling a lot of gear trying to find that one phone that can satisfy their needs.

Anyway, if you don't feel like going with the Thermaltake, I'd recommend the Sunrise Xcape Impressive Edition. It has good clarity, with a warmer, fuller sound signature, thought it may be outside your price range by just a bit.

If you want to pay more, the CC51's are in that range... just remember that price doesn't always denote quality, otherwise Beats and Bose headphones would be in the $30 range instead of 5 to 10x that.

man its hard to choose these things... I mean I looked up some reviews but its really hard to know what phones are actuly better thne others.. its all so subjective.

ok RE-0 for 75$, sunrise Xcape I.E for 85$, CC51's for 60$, or Thermaltake Isurus for 30$. any chance I can get some pro's and con's for them? sorry for all the questions but Im really not sure here =/

Ashhong

Well one pro I can think of is that you can get the CC51 with a mic if you want to use it for your phone. However I not happy with the mic on my M21, it's pretty lame. Also I would wait for that price to go down. Pretty sure I saw it on Amazon like last month for under 40.....or around there.

From what I read about the Isurus, is that it has a great sound for the price. They use the same drivers as the more expensive Audio Technica CKM-99 IEMs which usually sell around 99$. Reviews state that the Isurus just sound like an "unrefined" CKM99, meaning harsher mids and highs, but still great. Think I also read an Amazon review stating that they aren't that comfortable.

FoxSpirit

That noone mentioned the BLOX M2C so far does not shine a good light on earbud Gaf. $45 shipped and one of the best earbuds to boot.

K.Jack

ok RE-0 for 75$, sunrise Xcape I.E for 85$, CC51's for 60$, or Thermaltake Isurus for 30$. any chance I can get some pro's and con's for them? sorry for all the questions but Im really not sure here =/

Well, he RE0 is objectively the "best" IEM you have listed here, and it's not even close. It's only con it that the bass lacks impact, which can be remedied if you have bass boost.

man its hard to choose these things... I mean I looked up some reviews but its really hard to know what phones are actuly better thne others.. its all so subjective.

I've owned a bunch of Meelec stuff. The CC51P's have a really great neutral sound. The series below, the CW31's (which were discontinued), are a little warmer but aren't as crisp sounding. I'd watch the prices on amazon, but I've had no complaints with them.

Also, they have a different mic setup from the M21's Ashhong mentioned.

pax217

Just got the ES5s in a few hours ago. I was able to squeeze a pair of Complys on the end of the sound bore and get a decent seal just to sample their sound signature and... god damn.. the wait to get these things remolded is gonna be painful. Even without an optimal seal or the sound tubes not correctly oriented to fire directly into my ear canal, these things sound fucking nuts. The clarity, balance, detail, speed, separation and just overall fullness of the sound is unlike anything I've heard, god, I haven't been productive at all since these things arrived, I just keep playing ONE MORE song :/

What amp(s) are you running with them? They sound awesome.

Alucrid

Banned

So what are you upgrading to next? :p

see5harp

Did you fill out the return form on the website first? LINK.

After that custo service should send you an email with the address of the US distribution partner.

I got an e-mail back from the Dane after mentioning that a friend mentioned a service center in the states. Apparentely the fact that my address was in California was overlooked. Thanks man! I will be buying those TMA-1's shortly.

yarden24

Well, he RE0 is objectively the "best" IEM you have listed here, and it's not even close. It's only con it that the bass lacks impact, which can be remedied if you have bass boost.

actuly from what ive read the sunrise Xcape I.E is very close sound quality wise, is that not true?

actuly so after shipping the RE0 will come up to 89$ the sunrise Xcape I.E to 83$, so not much off a difference, the RE0 is objectivley better?

Ashhong

I've owned a bunch of Meelec stuff. The CC51P's have a really great neutral sound. The series below, the CW31's (which were discontinued), are a little warmer but aren't as crisp sounding. I'd watch the prices on amazon, but I've had no complaints with them.

Also, they have a different mic setup from the M21's Ashhong mentioned.

Seriously? Are the mics alot better on the cw and cc models? Really don't like the mic and also the mic placement on the m21

What amp(s) are you running with them? They sound awesome.

Have not bothered connecting them to anything other than my iPhone 4 running 320 kbps mp3s, though I have read that they scale to source improvements quite well. I was only planning on listening for an hour or so and get to other things... So much for that, I ended up listening til 2 AM :l Even with the faulty seal and the phones practically upside down (the guy whom they were molded for, surely has bigger ears than I do) I could hear the amount of compression applied on panned vocal tracks on some songs. It's not wholly bothersome though, since I was listening analytically, but it's definitely easily noticeable on the ES5s which due to their transparency and presentation... Just made every other phone I've heard to date sound quite recessed across all spectrums.

Soundstage, imaging, timbre, just the incredible smoothness of the overall sound is amazing. I put on a live Fela Kuti track and it felt like I was there. Actually, I've noted that these phones give me a feeling of "being there at the venue" more than anything I've come across. Close your eyes and there you are, it's incredible. Bass reproduction was so effortless, on drum solos, the impact of the snare and kick drum is more palpable than any IEM I've heard, dynamic or not. And upon peering into the housing, I noticed that the subwoofer driver is even larger than all four mid/hi tweeters combined. Apparently the ES5 can handle quite a bit of EQ without distorting, but I honestly wouldn't want any more than what's on hand.

It's very full bodied along with the mids and highs, and despite the copious amount of detail being presented, the sound is always amazingly smooth. Vocals were definitely a stand out in their performance, they were just astonishingly clear and lifelike, well above the SM3/ASG-1. With the SM3/ASG-1, in the end, I couldn't really bring myself to put one above the other, they both had elements that I really enjoyed and I regard them quite highly. With the ES5, after two songs or so, I could already tell that it was something else altogether. Everything just sounds so meaty and fleshed out. Basslines were driven with authority and had excellent texture and timbre, guitars had grit and muscle and just leapt out of the mix, drums pounded, and you could practically make out the sticks slamming the skin, it's just so vivid sounding.

Of course it's garbage in- garbage out. I found everything I listened to, to be immensely enjoyable, but on contemporary, hyper compressed recordings, detail retrieval extends only as far as the source will allow, so good luck hearing the aforementioned in a crappy recording lol. Put on a well mastered album like something by King Crimson or Pink Floyd or Boston and you'll be in awe.

I can say with certainty that they are clearly out of the league of hi end universals, which is a relief since I'd hate for them to be an incremental improvement or sidegrade at their going price.

I plan on taking some notes just so I'll have something to compare the final remold to. I expect the proper remold to sound even better due to a very much so suboptimal seal and firing angle. Bone conduction will likely make the bass presentation much more cohesive as well as improve extension on both ends. Details and overall presentation should get a bump as well, since they are literally upside down firing the sound through a pair of Complys. They're a dual bore design so I'm almost certain I'm muddling the sound by doing this, but I just had to get a taste of what people were raving about. The only thing that really sucks is that I will not be able to share this sound with others because I love being able to allow others to hear what I hear.

Alucrid: I think I'm done for a long time, honestly. I've read quite a bit of info comparing the ES5 to the Miracle, JH16/13, UERM, and even full sized cans like the LCD-2. It doesn't get any better really, just different in overall presentation. I'd have to spring for a Stax or LCD-3 setup to get noticeably better improvement. And I wasn't one of the mega million winners lol. I'm gonna try to recoup the money spent on other IEMs to offset the cost of the ES5's but if I can have this level of sq with me at all times, I think it's totally worth it. Only thing that sucks is remold time, I think it takes about a month. I've got a flight to NYC in a month for my sister's graduation and having these with me on the flight would make for a very enjoyable experience.

K.Jack

actuly from what ive read the sunrise Xcape I.E is very close sound quality wise, is that not true?

actuly so after shipping the RE0 will come up to 89$ the sunrise Xcape I.E to 83$, so not much off a difference, the RE0 is objectivley better?

I never should've used the world objectively in a discussion about sound. Excuse that mistake.

I'm one who values detail and clarity above all else, and the I.E. stumbles in a few places the HiFiman's don't (because they're tuned to be fuller and warmer than the original Xscapes). But at the same time, your ears may not "enjoy" the ultra-analytical tuning of their IEMs.

I never should've used the world objectively in a discussion about sound.

I'm one who values detail and clarity above all else, and the I.E. stumbles in a few places the HiFiman's don't (because they're tuned to be fuller and warmer than the original Xscapes). But at the same time, your ears may not "enjoy" the ultra-analytical tuning of their IEMs.

I think he'd be better off trying out the RE-Os/Zero from Amazon since their return policy is quite lenient. It'd allow him to at least rule out whether he'd enjoy that sort of sound sig. And if he doesn't, he can return them and spring for the Sunrises.

Presco

My CC51Ps gave out on me today :(

Bought them around Christmas so they really didn't last long. Seems to be an issue with the stress relief (or lack thereof) near the 3.5mm jack. Just contacted MEE's warranty department so hoping for a quick replacement. Such a shame because these quickly became my go-to everyday iPhone IEMs. Super comfortable, great clear sound, and a nice mic. It will be a long couple of weeks while I wait for my replacement. I have plenty of other IEMs but nothing with a good mic for calls.

My CC51Ps gave out on me today :(

Bought them around Christmas so they really didn't last long. Seems to be an issue with the stress relief (or lack thereof) near the 3.5mm jack. Just contacted MEE's warranty department so hoping for a quick replacement. Such a shame because these quickly became my go-to everyday iPhone IEMs. Super comfortable, great clear sound, and a nice mic. It will be a long couple of weeks while I wait for my replacement. I have plenty of other IEMs but nothing with a good mic for calls.

If it's a straight jack, you should get a short right angle plug adapter, it'll save you some grief down the line

Top Bottom