• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Ashhong

The CW31's have the M21-style mic, which is somewhat ok. The CC51p's have a better design.

The M21 mic is too far down the cord. They say this is so that it is at optimum position if you wear the cord over your ear...which I don't like to do. Even despite that people always complain about the mic. I'll have to keep an eye out for the CC51P. How would you rate the bass on those? Something along the lines of the CX300 would be nice...

The M21 mic is too far down the cord. They say this is so that it is at optimum position if you wear the cord over your ear...which I don't like to do. Even despite that people always complain about the mic. I'll have to keep an eye out for the CC51P. How would you rate the bass on those? Something along the lines of the CX300 would be nice...

Its not for bass heads. Its fantastic for rock and classical. The bass is crisp, and not overpowering.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
AKG K-240s on the way from Amazon, first for serious headphones I've ever really owned. Validate me, headphone-gaf.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I think he'd be better off trying out the RE-Os/Zero from Amazon since their return policy is quite lenient. It'd allow him to at least rule out whether he'd enjoy that sort of sound sig. And if he doesn't, he can return them and spring for the Sunrises.

That makes a lot of sense. Or buy them straight from Head-Direct, as they'll let you audition and return within 30 days.

pax217

To add to our Amazon praise, I bought a pair of dress shoes in December and haven't worn them until the last two weeks... they don't fit very well. I called Amazon this morning and told them exactly what I wrote in the first sentence, they said "No problem" and sent me a return label and gave me a full refund... more than 90 days after the 30-day return policy expired. Love it.

C'mon, my audiophile friends, help a brother out, here!!! Best headphones I can get for under 50$?

If we're talking headphones, we need to know if you want closed or open headphones, but I would say you're going to want the Koss PortaPros for under $50 regardless.

FoxSpirit

C'mon, my audiophile friends, help a brother out, here!!! Best headphones I can get for under 50$?

Earbud: BLOX M2C
Headphone (foldable, on-ear): Koss PortaPro

If it's to be regular full-sized I have no clue, they all sound terrible in comparison, at least the ones I have heard.

Ashhong

About to buy the Thermaltake Isurus if this ebay best offer goes through. Read some damn good things in that head-fi thread. They say the sound is amazing with 150+ hours of burn in. Sounds like a lot but hey, I'll try it. Hope the microphone/pause button works on my Android.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Grrr...something that's really bothering me with these Bowers & Wilkens P5 headphones is that it suffers from the same thing my V-Moda M80s do with sub-bass. For some reason, certain songs with really heavy bass kick just end up sounding flat and distorted.

...and it's not even in typical bass head songs, either.

In the title track Some Nights off the latest Fun. album, the constant bass drum backbeat explodes these headphones with bass, in a bad way. Distorted mess.

Katy Perry's Firework? Same shit. Bass drum obliterates these cans.

Meanwhile my electronic and club tracks hold up absolutely fine, and actually sound great for the most part.

Really frustrating, because it pretty much makes these specific songs unlistenable.

Songs by Bassnectar? A-OK! Great!
Songs by Katy Perry? Distorted mess? WHAT?!

Orayn

Looking to replace my Ultrasone HFI-450 some time in the next few months, would appreciate suggestions for closed cans in the $100-200 range, preferably ones that don't need an amp. My primary concerns are comfort, isolation, and durability. These would be pretty general-purpose headphones for me, so sound character isn't a huge deal as long as they're not completely lacking in any particular area. My Ultrasones and Equation Audio RP-21 before them were both pretty neutral-sounding, so I'd be fine with more of that.

Keylime

Looking to replace my Ultrasone HFI-450 some time in the next few months, would appreciate suggestions for closed cans in the $10 0-200 range, preferably ones that don't need an amp. My primary concerns are comfort, isolation, and durability. These would be pretty general-purpose headphones for me, so sound character isn't a huge deal as long as they're not completely lacking in any particular area. My Ultrasones and Equation Audio RP-21 before them were both pretty neutral-sounding, so I'd be fine with more of that.

Ever look into the Sennheiser HD25-II's? $200. Great isolation. Great sound. Maybe not super high on the comfort scale, but certainly not bad.

Seem to be the go-to recommendation in that price range right next to the TMA-1's from AiAiAi which are fairly similar.

Also, this post may be the single best resource I've ever come across to compare a ton of headphones:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/sho...ool-70-and-oldskool-rpm-33-1-3-added-03-01-12

Dude reviews 100 portable headphones in detail. Amazing.

Orayn

Hmm, aren't the HD-II and TMA-1 both supra-aural? I guess I should add that I'd prefer circumaural. Is there anything like a higher end version of the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro? I tried my friend's set and really liked the design and ergonomics, but the sound left something to be desired.

Edit: Sorry to bombard you with questions. I've been away from Head-Fi for a while, but I'll poke around and read that link.

Keylime

Hmm, aren't the HD-II and TMA-1 both supra-aural? I guess I should add that I'd prefer circumaural. Is there anything like a higher end version of the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro? I tried my friend's set and really liked the design and ergonomics, but the sound left something to be desired.

Edit: Sorry to bombard you with questions. I've been away from Head-Fi for a while, but I'll poke around and read that link.

You sound like a prime candidate for the oft-recommended Audio-Techinica ATH-M50s. You'll be hard-pressed to find a better set of cans for the price and seem to fit all your criteria.

Orayn

You sound like a prime candidate for the oft-recommended Audio-Techinica ATH-M50s. You'll be hard-pressed to find a better set of cans for the price and seem to fit all your criteria.

Sure enough, I've encountered these as well! I had a temporary roommate who was in school for mixing/production/recording who told me they were the go-to headphones among his peers, and also let me try his. This was in August, though, and I'd kind of forgotten the model number since then. Thanks!

One last question: Would they benefit at all from an amp? I wouldn't be averse to building a CMOY if it would make an appreciable difference. I suppose an amp would also open to door to eventually getting some (Darth?) Beyers...

Keylime

Sure enough, I've encountered these as well! I had a temporary roommate who was in school for mixing/production/recording who told me they were the go-to headphones among his peers, and also let me try his. This was in August, though, and I'd kind of forgotten the model number since then. Thanks!

One last question: Would they benefit at all from an amp? I wouldn't be averse to building a CMOY if it would make an appreciable difference. I suppose an amp would also open to door to eventually getting some (Darth?) Beyers...

Admittedly amping is something I have very little experience with so I'd have to leave that question to someone a bit more versed in the matter.

With them being listed at 38ohms, I'd imagine they'd be able to be driven by your typical portable device reasonably well, but would definitely see improvements with amping...but then again I think I'd say this with just about every headphone. These just don't look like they'd require an amp to get solid sound.

Looking to replace my Ultrasone HFI-450 some time in the next few months, would appreciate suggestions for closed cans in the $100-200 range, preferably ones that don't need an amp. My primary concerns are comfort, isolation, and durability. These would be pretty general-purpose headphones for me, so sound character isn't a huge deal as long as they're not completely lacking in any particular area. My Ultrasones and Equation Audio RP-21 before them were both pretty neutral-sounding, so I'd be fine with more of that.
Best suggestions for that would be either the Shure SRH840 or the Fischer Audio fa-003/Brainwavz HM5. Personally I'd go with the former.

I'd stay away from the M50s. The recessed mids detract from the overall sound experience.

Malvolio

Best suggestions for that would be either the Shure SRH840 or the Fischer Audio fa-003/Brainwavz HM5. Personally I'd go with the former.

I'd stay away from the M50s. The recessed mids detract from the overall sound experience.

As someone that's used the 840's almost every day for over two years I can also give them a thumbs up. My only concern in recommending them would be the comfort requirement. Mine took a while to open up and become flexible. For the first few months, they were vice tight on my head. They are also fairly big and a bit heavy. If you have any thoughts at all about using them in public, make sure you see them first. These are not the type of can that can be worn around the neck when not in use.

Performance-wise however, they are everything I wanted out of a reasonably priced set of cans. No amp required, fantastic isolation, extremely durable and mids that are way beyond what I thought I could get in this price range.

Orayn

Both of those also look like they fit my criteria, but I have some slight quibbles with each.

1. The earcups on the Shures look a little shallow - Is this the case? Having my ears pressing against the inner part of the headphone was one of my major gripes about both the Equation RP-21 and Ultrasone HFI-450, and pretty much forced me to mod the latter for improved comfort. I'm okay with a tight headband as long as my ears aren't cramped.

2. The 64 ohm impedance on the Brainwavs makes me think I'll need an amp to appreciate them, which may be a problem if I don't get around to building one. Otherwise, they look really good.

Malvolio

Both of those also look like they fit my criteria, but I have some slight quibbles with each.

1. The earcups on the Shures look a little shallow - Is this the case? Having my ears pressing against the inner part of the headphone was one of my major gripes about both the Equation RP-21 and Ultrasone HFI-450, and pretty much forced me to mod the latter for improved comfort. I'm okay with a tight headband as long as my ears aren't cramped.

2. The 64 ohm impedance on the Brainwavs makes me think I'll need an amp to appreciate them, which may be a problem if I don't get around to building one. Otherwise, they look really good.

I never had an issue with the 840 cups being too shallow. The edges of your ear may brush against the inner foam, but it certainly is never pressed against it. The majority of the contact is on the outer pads.

The only issue I had with them was their grip initially. It's tight and you may want to open them up larger than you normally would for the first month or two just to take some of that pressure off. If you wear glasses it is even more noticeable as they will press against your frames. This all goes away with use though and if you store them in a open and stretched position it takes even less time to get them to be a bit more comfortable.

Ashhong

Yes, yes, yes. I can hardly listen to my M50s without an amp. It gives it a much fuller sound to my untrained, bass loving ears. However, many people on here say they enjoy it without an amp, so I guess it's not completely necessary.

Max

I am not Max
Currently charging the FiiO E17 I just received in the mail today :>

Can't wait to hear how it sounds

thundr51

I picked up a Sony MDR-NC7 sometime last year on the cheap but barely got to use them. Recently I started using them more and OMG these things HURT. They seem to be too tight? or they are pinching my ears...anyway, I'm giving these 19.99 Compusa bargin bin specials to the kids which means I need a pair for myself.

Not looking to pay a grip ($150+) but I do want something that's going to last a while and that is relatively portable (since i'll be taking these to work with me). I've heard that 'circumaural' is the way to to go since they completely cover the ear and there's no pinching or anything. Plus I like the fact that they keep the sound in as I like to turn things up a bit and and don't want to disturb anyone.

So, ideas?

Keylime

Finally pulled the trigger on the HD25's after avoiding it for almost 2 years now for no good reason.

Can't wait to finally hear these things next to my P5's and M80's.

Should have them tomorrow!

LCfiner

Finally pulled the trigger on the HD25's after avoiding it for almost 2 years now for no good reason.

Can't wait to finally hear these things next to my P5's and M80's.

Should have them tomorrow!

Bass is punchy but doesn’t rumble down low (so few cans do, of course) and they have way more treble than the P5, be warned. V-shaped frequency response.

Senn just put out a fancier version of these called the “Amperior”. aluminum cups instead of plastic and a few other changes (lower impedance). Apparently, they sound a bit better but cost a considerable 350 bucks.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/most-excellent-sennheiser-amperior-and-hd-25-1-ii-page-2

While the HD 25-1 II is a good sounding headphone, I would characterize its performance as "very good mid-fi," while my experience with the Amperior reached what I would consider "entry-level audiophile" performance. The Amperiors are the best sounding supra-aural sealed cans I've heard to date, handily besting the DT1350, V-Moda M-80, and, of course, the HD 25-1 II. I love these headphones.

Previously, I've felt the HD 25-1 II had a bit of an edge to them, in the case of the Amperior the highs are simply clear and articulate; there may be the slightest edge to the sound, but it's not bothersome in the least. Sure, they don't manage to pull off the airy, spacious highs of reference quality cans; and neither do they deliver the liquid coherence and transparency that a full-size, open headphone can. But for this type of headphone (small, sealed, portable) they are remarkable.

Damnnit, my ATH-AD700 lost sound in one side!

Anyone know how much it will cost for Audio Technica to repair it or a general headphone repair site (if there is such a thing)?
AT site does not have any info on cost, I have to mail them the product & they will give me a "quote". If they can't fix it, I still have to send them $30 to get it back.

Anyone have any experience with repairing busted headphones or dealing with it?

Mistle

There's an iPhone EQ preset that I use with my M50s that boosts mids a bit and makes the headphones sound amazing. It makes the vocals and soundstage sound much bigger and more pleasant. It's less tight and more "airy", if that makes sense.

I had a pair of Sennheiser 555s break (moving accident and eventually just snapped), are the 558s the next logical step if I want a little bit better sound quality and bass or should I just make the jump to the 598s? I'd like to keep around $250-300 max (less if the difference isn't too big).

The SRH840s have some of the comfiest cups available, a lot of people replace the M50 cups with them too. As for impedance, the Brainwavz benefit from an amp only slightly more than the Shures. Both can run fine unamped out of an iPhone etc.

As for sound, the Brainwavz are pure neutral (probably the best neutral cans available), while the Shures have slightly forward mids and smooth everything else. The Shures have slightly better isolation, larger soundstage and, as said, run marginally better unamped, so that's why I think they would probably be the easier choice. Brainwavz are considerably cheaper though.

If you were going amped in that price range I would probably have recommended the M-Audio Studiophile Q40 instead.

There's an iPhone EQ preset that I use with my M50s that boosts mids a bit and makes the headphones sound amazing. It makes the vocals and soundstage sound much bigger and more pleasant. It's less tight and more "airy", if that makes sense.

Sounds good, do you run them with an amp?

FoxSpirit

I have huge trouble with AT headphones, the way they handle treble makes my tinnitus go nuts. Listened to all off them short of the 2000, there is always this tiny little bite. :-(
Anyone Eurogaffer wanna trade M50s for a Srh840?? Or maybe a Grado SR80i?

Keylime

Bass is punchy but doesn’t rumble down low (so few cans do, of course) and they have way more treble than the P5, be warned. V-shaped frequency response.

Senn just put out a fancier version of these called the “Amperior”. aluminum cups instead of plastic and a few other changes (lower impedance). Apparently, they sound a bit better but cost a considerable 350 bucks.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/most-excellent-sennheiser-amperior-and-hd-25-1-ii-page-2
Pretty much have come to terms with the fact that there doesn't seem to be a portable can that really fits my needs and budget. The AKG K181 seems like a decent choice for a bassier sound with solid isolation, but it reads like it isn't super comfortable and the higher register isn't the best.

As long as the HD25's can handle those low frequencies I referenced earlier without distorting them, I should be a happy camper. The P5's are by no means a bass heavy set, just very good mid-bass. The M80's shape bass better, but still can't get low enough to present those sub-bass heavy tracks without distorting.

Read about the Amperiors, but $150 more and honestly think they look uglier. Went for the jet black HD25's over the Adidas model so I can wear them in the office,

Hoping to fall in love with them.

Was considering the Beyerdynamic 1350's but the Head-Fi head to head video kept describing them as more reference which typically isn't what I go for at all.

We'll see : P

neos

Checking in after a couple of weeks using the HD595, i've falled in love with them.
Not an headfier here, but i think i don't need anything much than this.
Warm sound, excellent stage, and a comfort i've never thought possible.After about 3 hours i was at the pc producing\listening music, i totally forgot i was wearing headphones.
I don't have an amplifier, but as they are i never felt the urge of more volume (in fact i actually never pushed the volume to the max as i often did with my older headphones) and i don't know if the sound will earn something with an ampli.

For 100€ used (but in "as new" condition), i feel i've done a very good deal.

So my sennheiser cx550's were dangling out of my car door and found them to be completely crushed when i got home :-(
My fault, I didn't realise they had fallen out of my pocket.

I was thinking of replacing them with a pair that were compatible with iPhone mic features and have been looking at a Klipsh S4i or an Etymotic MC3.
Has anyone here got experience with either? Or could you recommend something similar in the under £100 price range?

EDIT: Ended up doing lots of research and settled on Ultimate Ears 600vi after some great reviews. Hopefully they work out well.

Davidion

V196h.jpg

jokkir

Are the Sennheiser HD 555 foam mod necessary for a full experience with these headphones? I'm thinking of modding it but I don't want to lose the warranty on them

I have an audio question that is slightly off topic so I hope you audiophiles will kindly indulge me and point me in the right direction :).

My television that I play games on is an old CRT and the sound from its speakers is not great. I do not want to install a surround set up because that is not feasible right now and I don't want to buy a more modern set either.

I have used it and listened to the audio through a set of headphones but the sound output from the headphone port is pretty weedy.

So my question is: can I do anything to boost and/or improve the audio coming out of the headphone port? I believe there are types of amps that are designed specifically for headphones, yes? Would something like that be worthwhile?

Any help at all would be much appreciated :).

pax217

I have an audio question that is slightly off topic so I hope you audiophiles will kindly indulge me and point me in the right direction :).

My television that I play games on is an old CRT and the sound from its speakers is not great. I do not want to install a surround set up because that is not feasible right now and I don't want to buy a more modern set either.

I have used it and listened to the audio through a set of headphones but the sound output from the headphone port is pretty weedy.

So my question is: can I do anything to boost and/or improve the audio coming out of the headphone port? I believe there are types of amps that are designed specifically for headphones, yes? Would something like that be worthwhile?

So to be clear here:
Your Xbox, PS3, Wii, what-have-you is connected to the TV, and your headphones are running out of the TV's headphone jack?

Yes, there are options. We need to know how much you want to spend, and whether or not your TV has an RCA audio output (red and white composite).

I would honestly worry about upgrading your TV, though :D

Everything I've read about them indicates they're not worth the money. Look in the OP for some over the ear's that are in your price range.

+1, you're much better off buying the MonoPrice Hifi DJ headphones if you're considering those.

Keylime

HD25-1 II initial impressions off of listening to half of a song that ruins my existing headphones bass-wise: Glorious

GLORIOUS! Vocal separation during harmonies are amazing and the bass is presented and not distorted...christ this is awesome.

The isolation is godly.

They feel so cheap, though. I swear to god I thought the box was going to be empty when I opened it...

YES! *skeet*

Edit: How the FUCK did anybody even consider putting these HD25's in the same category as the VMODA M80s? These things make those look like a piece of shit. The isolation of these HD25s makes the bass so much more enjoyable than the VMODAs, not to mention it can actually playback those insane sub-bass tracks that gave problems to both my P5s and M80s. The HD25s sound brighter, can get deeper...and have better impact.

God I'm so in love right now. What the fuck. WHAT THE FUCK.

Double Edit: AND THIS IS ALL WITHOUT AN AMP OUT OF AN IPHONE! FUUUUUUU

Triple Edit: Hearing insanely minute details in tracks I've listened to a thousand times through P5s and M80s and IE8s that I haven't heard before. Beautiful.

Quad Edit: ...had these fuckers on reversed. This track has the sound of a person walking from right to left across your head and they were on the left. Owned me!

Ok, I don't know if this is the place to post this but ill give it a shot. The headphones I have been using for watching video on my PS3 and 360 just totally crapped the bed and I am rather irritated. Nonetheless i now am going to buy new headphones and I am looking to get ones i can hook up to my ps3, 360 and my tv / surround sound system and have them actually, you know...work. I do not know very much about how to hook this stuff up and what will and wont work and all the connectors and stuff so I am hoping for some help with finding something good that i can buy in a actual physical store around here so i can go buy them. Money is whatever, cheaper is obviously better but will pay whats needed to get this setup working again.

Kukuk

Banned
HD25-1 II initial impressions off of listening to half of a song that ruins my existing headphones bass-wise: Glorious

GLORIOUS! Vocal separation during harmonies are amazing and the bass is presented and not distorted...christ this is awesome.

The isolation is godly.

They feel so cheap, though. I swear to god I thought the box was going to be empty when I opened it...

YES! *skeet*

Edit: How the FUCK did anybody even consider putting these HD25's in the same category as the VMODA M80s? These things make those look like a piece of shit. The isolation of these HD25s makes the bass so much more enjoyable than the VMODAs, not to mention it can actually playback those insane sub-bass tracks that gave problems to both my P5s and M80s. The HD25s sound brighter, can get deeper...and have better impact.

God I'm so in love right now. What the fuck. WHAT THE FUCK.

Double Edit: AND THIS IS ALL WITHOUT AN AMP OUT OF AN IPHONE! FUUUUUUU

Triple Edit: Hearing insanely minute details in tracks I've listened to a thousand times through P5s and M80s and IE8s that I haven't heard before. Beautiful.

Quad Edit: ...had these fuckers on reversed. This track has the sound of a person walking from right to left across your head and they were on the left. Owned me!

The HD25's are an excellent headphone. I've had the chance to borrow them from my friend on several occasions whenever I was going on a long car ride or something. Their isolation is some of the best I've heard on a non-IEM headphone, and the ever-so-slight bass bump lends itself well to the low hum of a car. I always find that you lose bass when there's low frequency noise around you, and the boosted bass compensates for that.

Overall their sound is a touch too forward for my tastes, but I'd imagine Grado fans would love them to death. Still, I have no fucking idea why someone would recommend the Aiaiai TMA-1's over these. The HD25's are light years ahead of them in technical and musical presentation.

After my last post found these locally and thinking of picking the up, any reason I shouldn't?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Skullca...rome/2137089.p?id=1218311138118&skuId=2137089

I've heard the Aviators. They are actually very, very competent headphones, and probably the absolute best as far as your typical consumer-brand headphones go. They have a surprisingly good mid range, with a fair amount of detail in the upper regions, without being harsh or unnatural. They definitely have a pretty large boost to bass, and it's a little loose, but still, they are very enjoyable to listen to. Even compared to audiophile newbie favorites like the Audio Technica ATH-M50's, I preferred the Aviators.

Alucrid

Banned

Well...if your output on the tv sucks then running an amp from that out put wouldn't do much. If you have a RCA audio outs then sure, an amp could work. Another option would be to get a dac and hook up everything to that and then run the headphones out of it. That's a bit pricier though.

Ok, I don't know if this is the place to post this but ill give it a shot. The headphones I have been using for watching video on my PS3 and 360 just totally crapped the bed and I am rather irritated. Nonetheless i now am going to buy new headphones and I am looking to get ones i can hook up to my ps3, 360 and my tv / surround sound system and have them actually, you know...work. I do not know very much about how to hook this stuff up and what will and wont work and all the connectors and stuff so I am hoping for some help with finding something good that i can buy in a actual physical store around here so i can go buy them. Money is whatever, cheaper is obviously better but will pay whats needed to get this setup working again.

So...are you looking for headphone suggestions or a device to take in the audio outs of the consoles?

Edit: Jesus Rubx, you're going through cans like crazy

thundr51

I've heard the Aviators. They are actually very, very competent headphones, and probably the absolute best as far as your typical consumer-brand headphones go. They have a surprisingly good mid range, with a fair amount of detail in the upper regions, without being harsh or unnatural. They definitely have a pretty large boost to bass, and it's a little loose, but still, they are very enjoyable to listen to. Even compared to audiophile newbie favorites like the Audio Technica ATH-M50's, I preferred the Aviators.

I went to a different store and they had some hooked up and I gave them a listen. Didn't sound bad to me so I figure I'd at least give them a shot. They've got at least 29 days to impress me enough to keep them if not, i'll take them back. I listened to them a bit already and they're not bad. Next week will be the real test.

Top Bottom