• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Yes, because you're EQing up.

EQ down and turn the volume up.

Not surprising that EQ'ing makes sound quality worse. EQ'ing up always adds distortion.

Is there a "level" option on itunes or whatever your using? That would keep the same curve, but set it to curve below line level, eliminating distortion.

I wasn't intending to EQ at all, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm hearing now that it's set to flat. Things actually sounds louder now that it's flat vs. electronic. I'm guessing that's the raised mids or something?

Blah...

Davidion

I wasn't intending to EQ at all, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm hearing now that it's set to flat. Things actually sounds louder now that it's flat vs. electronic. I'm guessing that's the raised mids or something?

Blah...

Yes, the raised mids would have an impact.

Strings would definitely benefit from good mids and would sound better flat, but that doesn't explain the additional kick in the bass you described.

Anyways, the typical EQ "smile" isn't always a good idea anyhow; depending on your gear it can make the music sound overly muffled thanks to the more prominent lower end.

Is it possible a DAC could sound different through optical vs. USB? I switched over to USB and I swear it sounds better.

Maybe it's just one of those happy placebos. Probably.

Septimius

Is it possible a DAC could sound different through optical vs. USB? I switched over to USB and I swear it sounds better.

You'd expect the sound to be served in the exact same stream through USB and optical. You'd guess the buffer size could be the same, too. Maybe there are different conventions to transmitting digital audio via usb from optical.

I'm guessing you wouldn't really know before you see the schematic of the inside of your DAC and know the controllers and what they do. Happy placebo or not; awesome.

pax217

I hate Amazon super saver shipping. Taking over a week for me to get my new sound card :(

Prime has been one of the best purchases I've made in the last few years... but only because I buy everything but my groceries (which I could do also, but it's expensive) from Amazon.

pax217

You'd expect the sound to be served in the exact same stream through USB and optical. You'd guess the buffer size could be the same, too. Maybe there are different conventions to transmitting digital audio via usb from optical.

I'm guessing you wouldn't really know before you see the schematic of the inside of your DAC and know the controllers and what they do. Happy placebo or not; awesome.

As far as digital signals go... 1s and 0s are 1s and 0s... no cable is going to make a difference... there is a possibility that the DAC runs the USB through a different process/eq than it might the optical (maybe they assume if you're running from an optical source it's already EQ'd, whereas with USB you're essentially using the DAC as your sound card?)

If he's running Vista, even outputting to optical he's at the mercy of the crappy drivers. You can download a WASAPI plugin for foobar or whatever you use to bypass those windows drivers. And I know optical is prone to "jitter" and lag, (as is evidenced in the Rocksmith thread where people are advised to play the game with AV cables)

As far as digital signals go... 1s and 0s are 1s and 0s... no cable is going to make a difference... there is a possibility that the DAC runs the USB through a different process/eq than it might the optical (maybe they assume if you're running from an optical source it's already EQ'd, whereas with USB you're essentially using the DAC as your sound card?)

If he's running Vista, even outputting to optical he's at the mercy of the crappy drivers. You can download a WASAPI plugin for foobar or whatever you use to bypass those windows drivers. And I know optical is prone to "jitter" and lag, (as is evidenced in the Rocksmith thread where people are advised to play the game with AV cables)

Thanks for the input. I use foobar2k in Windows 7 with the WASAPI plugin. On optical I output 24-bit, USB 16-bit. Using a HeadRoom Micro DAC and AMP.

If that's the case then you're in the clear. I think the faulty Vista drivers had a higher noise floor or something. Something introduced distortion, I can't remember, but it's not an issue on Win 7.

Crisco

Banned
So other than MixAmp, what other Dolby Headphone + amp solutions should I look at? I think I've decided on an AD700 for my headphone, but I'm struggling to settle on a surround sound DAC + Amp I can use for gaming on my PC and consoles.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Isn't that just lag from HDMI?

So I'm thinking of getting the HiFiMan RE-0 In-Ear Stereo Headphones.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MQ8BL6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm completely clueless on IEH/earbuds & just going from what I read from general user reviews & these seem to be up there in recommendations.

Is there no Sennheiser HD 555 or Audio Technica M50 that are the standard that people recommend?
I'd prefer to buy in-store so I can return them if I don't like them like from Best Buy, but do they even sell any decent quality earbuds? All I ever see from them are Skullcandy & Beats by Dr. Dre.

Isn't that just lag from HDMI?

Just checked. Yeah, you're right, HDMI was the one that had lag, my mistake.

Wednesday: I assume your budget is around $80-100? What kind of music you listen to would be helpful in recommending you some phones. Phones like the RE-0 are very flat, neutral and analytical (provide a very detailed experience over a more fun, and euphonic or "musical" one). Phones like that are great for classical, vocal, and instrumental, but you might want phones that have more of a midrange and bass presence if you listen to rock, pop, jazz, hip hop etc

So I'm thinking of getting the HiFiMan RE-0 In-Ear Stereo Headphones.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MQ8BL6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm completely clueless on IEH/earbuds & just going from what I read from general user reviews & these seem to be up there in recommendations.

Is there no Sennheiser HD 555 or Audio Technica M50 that are the standard that people recommend?
I'd prefer to buy in-store so I can return them if I don't like them like from Best Buy, but do they even sell any decent quality earbuds? All I ever see from them are Skullcandy & Beats by Dr. Dre.

I bought these and shipped them back. The clarity was outstanding but they had weak bass (my fault for not trusting reviews) and didn't suit most of the music I wanted to listen to. They probably would've been superb for classical or something, but I swapped these with the Klipsch S4 and I'm way happier. YMMV.

Antiwhippy

Hifiman RE0 are very reputable but be warned that the build quality can be pretty wonky sometimes.

You might want to look at the Brainwavz line too. I have the M3 and for the price they are very good, and the build quality is pretty good too.

HiResDes

26EWU.jpg

HiResDes

BTW I have those Isurus that everyone was raving about on Headfi, and I'm just not too crazy about them whatsoever. I also owned the Audio Technica's that the same poster went crazy for and though I thought they were great back in the day, there's no way I'd have traded either my lowly Soundmagic PL50s nor Eternas for them whatsoever. The bass is okay I guess, but the overly aggressive mid-range creates an artificial sounding effect to my ears. The Isurus sound somewhat similar though less detailed, and much more uncomfortable even with MEElectronic bi-flanges, which are my go to....

HiResDes

Isurus, decent I guess, but be prepared to pay in discomfort for it's somewhat decent value in sound. I'd much rather spend the extra thirty bucks for some Fischer Audio Silver Bullets. I'm only willing to put up with discomfort if the phones sound at least good as Radius DDM's, which somehow fit a worlds better using bi-flanges. Yo PM me your address I'll send them to you within the next week. Fuck em', if you're a basshead get some Fischer Eternas, no substitute under a hundred bucks.

Anyone know if the $100 difference between the Sennheiser 595s ($145) and 598s ($250) is worth it? I don't mind spending the extra money if it is and I'm sure there is a difference, but $100 worth anyone know?

I bought these and shipped them back. The clarity was outstanding but they had weak bass (my fault for not trusting reviews) and didn't suit most of the music I wanted to listen to. They probably would've been superb for classical or something, but I swapped these with the Klipsch S4 and I'm way happier. YMMV.

This guy
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-234-iems-compared-ue-500-paradigm-shift-e3m-added-04-08-12#post_6492051
seems cuckoo for the RE0 (Sound - 8.3/10) & seems to rate the Klipsch S4 low (Sound - 6.7/10).

Would the RE0 be any better if you use EQ to up bass?

Help me out, guys. In-ear, $50 or less.

Here is a good review thread of every price class of in-ear headphones (including the $40-$60 range).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-234-iems-compared-ue-500-paradigm-shift-e3m-added-04-08-12

LCfiner

Anyone know if the $100 difference between the Sennheiser 595s ($145) and 598s ($250) is worth it? I don't mind spending the extra money if it is and I'm sure there is a difference, but $100 worth anyone know?

I'm not sure if anyone here has owned both. I've read they're very similar. not sure if it's worth double the price...

Alucrid

Banned
This guy
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-234-iems-compared-ue-500-paradigm-shift-e3m-added-04-08-12#post_6492051
seems cuckoo for the RE0 (Sound - 8.3/10) & seems to rate the Klipsch S4 low (Sound - 6.7/10).

Here is a good review thread of every price class of in-ear headphones (including the $40-$60 range).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-234-iems-compared-ue-500-paradigm-shift-e3m-added-04-08-12

No. Well, they're still better, but EQing like that would be pointless and I doubt EQing would get the bass to have as much quantity as you would like.

So is it Gaf's concensus that the TMA-1's are the best portable cans in the $100-200 range. I don't need overwhelming bass, I listen to mostly rock, acoustic, and jazz. How do they compare to the HD25?

LCfiner

So is it Gaf's concensus that the TMA-1's are the best portable cans in the $100-200 range. I don't need overwhelming bass, I listen to mostly rock, acoustic, and jazz. How do they compare to the HD25?

hmm. careful. the TMA-1 are voiced very dark. they're designed mostly for electronica.

For the genres you listed, I would personally recommend the Grado 225 (tops off the 200 dollar limit). If you don't mind less bass and a bit shrieker treble, just grab the SR60 for 80 bucks.

Antiwhippy

Depends on what you want.

If you want a very bass focused sound the TMA-1s for sure. If you actually want some details on the high ends the HD25s are much better.

hmm. careful. the TMA-1 are voiced very dark. they're designed mostly for electronica.

For the genres you listed, I would personally recommend the Grado 225 (tops off the 200 dollar limit). If you don't mind less bass and a bit shrieker treble, just grab the SR60 for 80 bucks.

I have the SR80i already. I just want some on ear portable cans that I can use for my walk to classes. Are the HD25 decent for the music I listen to?

Antiwhippy

The HD25s are pretty much closed grados.

Though I only have the Alessandro MS1 to compare. They are very similar cans though.

Also the portability and isolation of the HD25s are incredible.

Not even close. The AIAIAI TMA-1s are probably the most bass skewed and muddy portables in the price range. Highly recommend you back away.

The HD25s are superlative for rock and so-so for acoustic (recessed mids hamper this). Would recommend them though. If isolation isn't an issue then certainly get some Grados.

For something a bit more "all round", you might want to look into the V-Moda M80s.

Kukuk

Banned
Not even close. The AIAIAI TMA-1s are probably the most bass skewed and muddy portables in the price range. Highly recommend you back away.

Holy shit, someone else on Neogaf that hates the TMA-1's. I thought I was the only one.

Keylime

The HD25s are superlative for rock and so-so for acoustic (recessed mids hamper this). Would recommend them though. If isolation isn't an issue then certainly get some Grados.

For something a bit more "all round", you might want to look into the V-Moda M80s.

Can't say I agree with the V-Moda M80s. I've got a set and compared to my HD25s they sound like ass. Just don't sound nearly as impressive or isolate nearly as well. I don't even think they look that sexy after having them for awhile.

I should probably audition the two of them side by side on a lot of different songs to articulate the differences better than "they sound like ass" but I was never wowed with those cans vs. the HD25s made an immediate impression with me.

Holy shit, someone else on Neogaf that hates the TMA-1's. I thought I was the only one.

Ditto, I don't see the appeal, outside lo-fi electronica.

Can't say I agree with the V-Moda M80s. I've got a set and compared to my HD25s they sound like ass. Just don't sound nearly as impressive or isolate nearly as well. I don't even think they look that sexy after having them for awhile.

I should probably audition the two of them side by side on a lot of different songs to articulate the differences better than "they sound like ass" but I was never wowed with those cans vs. the HD25s made an immediate impression with me.

The M80s are fairly well received for over-all balance. You however prefer a V-shaped sound signature which the HD25s deliver better the rest in that price range.

They certainly don't isolate as well though, I'll give you that.

I wouldn't be able to power the HD 25 with just my iPhone I bet. Would my E6 power it sufficiently?

You can run the HD25s out of an iPhone no problem. They benefit from an amp though, especially in mid-bass. E6 should be more than enough.

Keylime

Aye, can definitely drive the HD25s out of the iPhone directly without a problem. Obviously an amp makes things better, but it's not like they sound lackluster without amping or anything like that.

The M80s are fairly well received for over-all balance. You however prefer a V-shaped sound signature which the HD25s deliver better the rest in that price range.

They certainly don't isolate as well though, I'll give you that.
Fair enough, perhaps the sound signature of the M80s doesn't match what I'm looking for...but they are firmly on my don't recommend list just because the can size is a little small making head-placement a little awkward to get right for a good seal, the isolation isn't that great, and the cord frays because it's wrapped in some kind of cloth material and is too stiff. The cord gets knotted and never really ever straightens out from use. Mine still has the original bends put in the cable from when I first unwrapped them. Too stiff.

Just don't think they make for a great portable headphone, even if the sound signature is preferable for some folks.

Blunt

Banned
An opportunity has presented itself where I can purchase a pair of band new B&W P5 headphones for around half the usual asking price at my local hi-fi haunt. I recently bought and am in the process of rebuilding my home theatre setup with the Bowers & Wilkins 600 range of speakers and am chuffed to bits with them.

What say you, Can-GAF-Gods?

I'm not sure if anyone here has owned both. I've read they're very similar. not sure if it's worth double the price...

After all my questions I ended up going with the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PROs. I was reading up on headfi (and skimming back through this thread) and they seemed like a good choice for the price range, and since I had Sennheisers before, it would be cool to try something new. Thanks for the help though.

Davidion

I think you just single-handedly turned me off of the TMA-1s.

This guy

I tried but they still weren't right for me. I like to listen to electronica, rap, and some indie rock. If you're a discerning soft listener, I think you'd prefer the RE0, but if you like having good bass, the Klipsch are way better IMO.

I'm more of an average listener, so I found the amazon reviews more useful (large sample size!): http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-IMAGE-S4-Noise-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B001V9LPT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334157936&sr=8-1

Again though, this is just personal preference. But for bass the RE0 pales in comparison to the S4 in my experience.

Alucrid

Banned
I tried but they still weren't right for me. I like to listen to electronica, rap, and some indie rock. If you're a discerning soft listener, I think you'd prefer the RE0, but if you like having good bass, the Klipsch are way better IMO.

I'm more of an average listener, so I found the amazon reviews more useful (large sample size!): http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-IMAGE-S4-Noise-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B001V9LPT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334157936&sr=8-1

Again though, this is just personal preference. But for bass the RE0 pales in comparison to the S4 in my experience.
The re0s have superb bass. Its clarity and extension is unbelievable. It is however very neutral, but it isn't not good.

If you want fun thumping bass grab a pair of eternas like des said or look at the hippos. The bass is more analytical for the hippos though.

Top Bottom