• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Hey Audio-GAF, any advice?

So right now I have these:
ath_m50_1.jpg

Audio Technica M50's. They're great, but after an 40 minutes or so, they really start hurting my ears, along with some sweatiness occasionally. I'm looking for some new headphones along with a bit of a bigger budget right now, roughly $350. What I want:

-Comfort from extended wear
-Noise Canceling
-Quiet for outsiders

Any recommendations?

Also, I know bose is crap, but I also tried these on at a Best Buy some weeks ago and they felt awesome. The most comfortable I've ever tried. Anything that compares to that comfort would be great.

If you're looking for Bose, you've come to the wrong place lol

A few questions;

1. Did you like the sound of the M50s?
2. What music will you be listening to?
3. Going to be using an amp?

If you're looking for something similar in sound to the M50s (with a V-shaped frequency), then you might want to try the Phiaton PS500. Ridiculously comfy headphones, like on par with low end Senns (HD428, PX100 etc) that seemingly exist for nothing but comfort. Great detail, though the cold "analytical" sound may not be to everyone's tastes.

Another option (a much cheaper option) here is to just replace the earpads on the M50s. A popular choice for this are the Shure SRH840 (or 440) ear pads, which should fit on without any difficulties and are more comfortable and less sweaty. Amazon or Ebay should have them.

If you still want a new pair of cans, let us know what sort of genres you'll be blasting and I'll get you a few more recs.

Hey Audio-GAF, any advice?

So right now I have these:

Audio Technica M50's. They're great, but after an 40 minutes or so, they really start hurting my ears, along with some sweatiness occasionally. I'm looking for some new headphones along with a bit of a bigger budget right now, roughly $350. What I want:

-Comfort from extended wear
-Noise Canceling
-Quiet for outsiders

Any recommendations?

Also, I know bose is crap, but I also tried these on at a Best Buy some weeks ago and they felt awesome. The most comfortable I've ever tried. Anything that compares to that comfort would be great.

Just buy earpad replacements & replace the M50s. They come off & back on as easy as socks do.
You can even glue them on to the earpads of your M50 like this dude
http://www.head-fi.org/t/553303/ath...ncredible-comfort-and-sound-5megapixel-photos
1000x500px-LL-d1fd337b_IMG_20110509_133107.jpg

tokkun

Thanks for the reply.

Do you guys have any opinions on IEMs that are fitted with an ear mold versus the MEElectronics S6 persay. Is it worth it to get a fitted pair or are the tips for the S6's basically good enough?

I've owned a lot of different IEMs and have used pretty much every type of tip, but everyone's ear canals are different, so YMMV.

In terms of sound quality, custom tips are definitely the way to go. The seal is a lot better than anything else (with the possible exception of the deep insert tri-flange Etymotics), and that makes worlds of difference when it comes to bass reproduction. Comfort is decent (with acrylic molds, I don't have any silicone yet), but I'm always aware they're in my ear, and it can get fatiguing after an hour or so of having them inserted. The main disadvantage is the cost; custom shells cost at least 2-3x the cost of the S6.

In terms of comfort, I've always found Comply tips to be the best. They can be comfortable enough that I will forget they're in my ears, and the seal is good. The weakness is that they have a noticeable roll-off on higher frequencies, so I wouldn't recommend using them with bass-tilted IEMs like the IE8, MG7, or Klipsch S4, except for podcast/audiobook use.

Shure Olives are another popular foam tip. I haven't noticed the same negative affect on sound quality as the Complys and they are more durable, but the seal isn't quite as good. More importantly, they cause pain for me as the foam is denser and exerts more pressure on the ear canal, so I rarely use them except on short trips.

Sony Hybrids are probably the most popular aftermarket universal silicone tips. Personally I don't find them to be noticeably better than the standard silicon tips you get from every other company, and the seal is typically not good for me. But (like all univeral silicone tips) they're nearly indestructible and can be washed to remove wax build up, so they will last forever.

AnGer

So had to abandon my old headphones, a pair of Sennheiser IE6 and a pair of Sennheiser HD 25 SP-II.

Now I am looking for two new pairs - a pair of IEMs and a pair of closed over-ear/on-ear headphones. As far as my budget goes, I‘d like to spend about 100-200€ on both.

The IEMs will mostly be used in combination with my iPod classic as will the headphones. The latter will also be used in combination with my MacBook Pro on the train and an aeroplane adapter plug as well.

Having replaceable cables is welcomed, though it is not necessarily a deal breaker if they aren‘t replaceable on the IEMs, but the headphones should come with replaceable cables since I prefer to use shorter cables when not using the computer at home. Pouches are a must have.

So had to abandon my old headphones, a pair of Sennheiser IE6 and a pair of Sennheiser HD 25 SP-II.

Now I am looking for two new pairs - a pair of IEMs and a pair of closed over-ear/on-ear headphones. As far as my budget goes, I‘d like to spend about 100-200€ on both.

The IEMs will mostly be used in combination with my iPod classic as will the headphones. The latter will also be used in combination with my MacBook Pro on the train and an aeroplane adapter plug as well.

Having replaceable cables is welcomed, though it is not necessarily a deal breaker if they aren‘t replaceable on the IEMs, but the headphones should come with replaceable cables since I prefer to use shorter cables when not using the computer at home. Pouches are a must have.

What sort of music will you be listening to? Going to have a portable amp or run them straight from your iPod etc?

AnGer

Music's coming straight from the iPod and the styles I listen to vary rather greatly though most of it is rock, classical, electronica and jazz.

andylsun

Does anyone have any experience in comparing Stax Lambda headphones to something like Sennheiser HD595/600?

Ever since I saw a review of the Lambda earspeakers back in the 90's, I've wanted to try them and go electrostatic.

I hope to be able to afford to buy a used pair off the bay later this year, but want to know if it's really a step up from the 595/600's.

I'm budgeting around $500 + new foam pads.

pax217

Does anyone have any experience in comparing Stax Lambda headphones to something like Sennheiser HD595/600?

Ever since I saw a review of the Lambda earspeakers back in the 90's, I've wanted to try them and go electrostatic.

I hope to be able to afford to buy a used pair off the bay later this year, but want to know if it's really a step up from the 595/600's.

I believe there is at least one man here who does, and he's here almost daily... you'll get a reply soon enough...

LCfiner

I owned a used Stax SR 407 and a T1-S driver. (this sells for around $1200 used). It is a huge step up from midrange cans and was much better than the HD600 I briefly owned (it was also around on par with the Senn HD800 and was better than a grado RS1, in my opinion). pros are amazing clarity and great high frequency extension without sounding harsh or having any glare. negatives were lack of bass impact and overall comfort (those rectangular ear speakers weren’t great for my head).

I don’t have any experience with older Lambdas or lower end Lambdas currently in production (SR207 or 307). I’ve read good things about classic Lambda pros or the 404LE lambda.

you should definitely try out an electrostatic if you can but you may need to increase the budget slightly since older stax driver units (the T1, for example) are still pretty expensive used.

As expected, the best place I’ve found to find them used are the head-fi “for sale" forums. good luck

andylsun

I owned a used Stax SR 407 and a T1-S driver. (this sells for around $1200 used). It is a huge step up from midrange cans and was much better than the HD600 I briefly owned (it was also around on par with the Senn HD800 and was better than a grado RS1, in my opinion). pros are amazing clarity and great high frequency extension without sounding harsh or having any glare. negatives were lack of bass impact and overall comfort (those rectangular ear speakers weren’t great for my head).

I don’t have any experience with older Lambdas or lower end Lambdas currently in production (SR207 or 307). I’ve read good things about classic Lambda pros or the 404LE lambda.

you should definitely try out an electrostatic if you can but you may need to increase the budget slightly since older stax driver units (the T1, for example) are still pretty expensive used.

As expected, the best place I’ve found to find them used are the head-fi “for sale" forums. good luck

Huge step up from HD600 is what I hoped to hear. Will keep an eye out on head-fi and other places to see if I can get something later in the year. I really want to keep in my budget, so will be patient.

LCfiner

Huge step up from HD600 is what I hoped to hear. Will keep an eye out on head-fi and other places to see if I can get something later in the year. I really want to keep in my budget, so will be patient.

right but keep in mind that was based on the SR 407 and T1S combo, which is over two times your budget.

I can’t say “huge step” for any of the lower tiers (or much older stuff) since I never owned them - and be careful not to buy into Ken Rockwell reviews for older Stax stuff. his blog comes up near the top on google searches and his stax reviews are, um, a little too effusive with praise without bringing up any negatives (at least based on his reviews of equipment that I’ve owned).

Oh, and you may be able to keep within your budget by getting an energizer that takes speaker taps from a regular speaker amp and produces a Stax output. those are cheaper than a dedicated stax amp and may allow you to get a better ear speaker.

My M50s came in today. They sound great coming from little $8 earphones, and they also are in very good condition! I'll test them out more extensively tonight, I'm sure.

Mission

Anybody had experience ordering the Yuin PK3 on eBay? I'd order off Amazon but they don't ship to Canada and the eBay offers from China and Hong Kong do, for the same price. Are people making knock off PK3s?

I could order from Amazon to a border depot and drive the hour to get them but time is pretty tight these days.

pax217

Looking for some good headphones (no ear buds) for $100-$150

Main use will be for listening to music and gaming(music more important though) on ipod and pc.

might buy a amp down the road.

help?

looked at these so far but i dont know much about this stuff. Some noise canceling would be nice but more concerned with sound clarity.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ARSMXQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZG9TMA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006GCCWW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm a big supporter of Grados, I've always believed they're the best "bang-for-your-buck" cans out there... I will say now though that you shouldn't bother with the SR125i's when the jump in quality is so drastic to the 225i's for $50 more. I would recommend the ATH M50's out of the ones you've listed.

Also realize that the KRK's and M50's are closed, while the Grados are open. Grados also really hate being powered (relative to the other sets of cans you have there), so an amp might be iffy depending on which amp it is.

I'm a big supporter of Grados, I've always believed they're the best "bang-for-your-buck" cans out there... I will say now though that you shouldn't bother with the SR125i's when the jump in quality is so drastic to the 225i's for $50 more. I would recommend the ATH M50's out of the ones you've listed.

Also realize that the KRK's and M50's are closed, while the Grados are open. Grados also really hate being powered (relative to the other sets of cans you have there), so an amp might be iffy depending on which amp it is.

i would prefer closed just for the slight noise canceling. i usually have fans on and what not when listening to music. I dont know if that would be a issue with open headphones.

those 225i look great but i really dont want to spend more than $150. Open to other choices as well if you know any better ones

LCfiner

i would prefer closed just for the slight noise canceling. i usually have fans on and what not when listening to music. I dont know if that would be a issue with open headphones.

those 225i look great but i really dont want to spend more than $150. Open to other choices as well if you know any better ones

Another (closed) option in your price range are the fostex T50RP

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/fostex-t50-rp.php

HiResDes

It's not necessarily bad, it's about as flat as say an AKG...It's just pretty much a perfectly flat headphone. If you were a hip-hop listener I'd say steer clear of it. However, it's flatness makes it a really versatile headphone in all other genres.

It's not necessarily bad, it's about as flat as say an AKG...It's just pretty much a perfectly flat headphone. If you were a hip-hop listener I'd say steer clear of it. However, it's flatness makes it a really versatile headphone in all other genres.

I mostly listen to folk, ambient, electronic, hip hop instrumental, singer/songwriter, noise.

HiResDes

Hmm I'd say yes for sure if you were going to be amping, but if not the bass will definitely seem a bit light at first...It goes really low, just doesn't have a lot of impact.

HiResDes

Hey guys, looking for some headphones. Looking for ones that give crisp loud bass to keep my ass awake.

My budget is $80 and currently have my eyes on these.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M13GA4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I do not care about noise cancelling and mainly listen to EDM.

Need some feedback if these are a good purchase.

Numark makes pretty good shit so those could be good.

The XB500 are also good in terms of bass, as are these if you're trying to go real cheap

CSX

Sony MDR-XB500 or XB700's. They have about the most bass you can get in a headphone.

I had xb500s in the past. It had bass but i was constantly bothered by how murky it made everything sound outside of bass.

Sold it to a friend for $20 :p

Kukuk

Banned
I had xb500s in the past. It had bass but i was constantly bothered by how murky it made everything sound outside of bass.

Sold it to a friend for $20 :p

Then give the XB700's a try. They have a much more emphasized high end.

Put my GR07 in my beanie, along with my Cowon J3 DAP.

Left beanie in the car.

Dad brings beanie in, not knowing its contents; no earphones/DAP are brought in.

Dad goes back out to car; brings in DAP.

Don't think anything of it; will retrieve GR07 later.

A couple of days pass.

Dad brings in run-over, destroyed GR07.

Son cries (not quite, but totally felt like doing so).

AH-FUCKING, WELL.

I've already purchased a new pair. Best 'phones I've owned.

HiResDes

I think something like Fischer FA-004s would be a better value, if you can find them in-stock anywhere...Otherwise I say fuck it, check out those Numarks, the PHX DJs are supposedly very good.

Hey guys, looking for some headphones. Looking for ones that give crisp loud bass to keep my ass awake.

My budget is $80 and currently have my eyes on these.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M13GA4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I do not care about noise cancelling and mainly listen to EDM.

Need some feedback if these are a good purchase.

Sounds like you're looking for Creative Aurvana Live!

Should be just about in your budget and they are probably the best bassy cans in the price range. Have the same drivers as the much recommended Denon D1001Ks, but have more clarity, detail and arguably a wider soundstage. You can feel the bass rumbles and everything else is fairly laid back.

Golden Ears charts
Review by the inimitable Tyll from Inner Fidelity
he loved them

After reading some of this thread, I think I'm interested in the Sony MDR-XB700's. I do listen to some bass heavy music, but are they also a decent headphone if I wanted to sit down and listen to some lighter stuff? I should also add that my other option would likely be the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones.

After reading some of this thread, I think I'm interested in the Sony MDR-XB700's. I do listen to some bass heavy music, but are they also a decent headphone if I wanted to sit down and listen to some lighter stuff? I should also add that my other option would likely be the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones.

A few questions;

1. What's your budget?

2. What will you be running them out of (PC, iPod etc) and will you be using an amp?

3. Portability a requirement?

Top Bottom