• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wow I'm surprised nobody commented on the M-50's being that cheap again.

Anyway, I don't know why but I'm thinking about getting the AH-D5000's. I was going to order the M-50's for that cheap, but they were a bit bigger than I was expecting when seen atop someones head and if I'm going to order the ultimate end all headphones for home use, I'm thinking about getting the 5000's. They are also getting phased out and the replacements look like crap imo.

I can still get them for $429.

For reference, this is my current setup.

ATH AD-700 (The headphone jack is still slightly crooked, so I either need to replace it or the cable as well, I'm not really sure how to go about it).
Sennheiser HD598

how much of an improvement would the Denons be? Would it be better to spend the extra money getting them over the M50s?

LCfiner

Anyway, I don't know why but I'm thinking about getting the AH-D5000's. I was going to order the M-50's for that cheap, but they were a bit bigger than I was expecting when seen atop someones head and if I'm going to order the ultimate end all headphones for home use, I'm thinking about getting the 5000's. They are also getting phased out and the replacements look like crap imo.

ATH AD-700 (The headphone jack is still slightly crooked, so I either need to replace it or the cable as well, I'm not really sure how to go about it).
Sennheiser HD598

how much of an improvement would the Denons be? Would it be better to spend the extra money getting them over the M50s?

The D5000 will probably blow your mind compared to the AD-700 (I’ve owned both years ago). They are very good headphones and that is a good price. But they have massive, untamed bass that can colour the sound negatively as it creeps into the midrange.

If you don’t have on already, I recommend a modest headphone amp (or amp/DAC combo) to tame the bass a bit. you don’t need to spend a fortune here. just something like a uDAC2 or Fiio E10 to power them better than a PC headphone port.

I was about to get the M50s, but I need some headphones that can take alot of abuse. by denons cracked:(

I heard that the fanny wang 2001 is insanely durable? anyone who can confirm? i dont mind the worse sound and weird name and beats rip off. I just need something that wont break when im abusing them.

Sennheiser HD598

Infinite improvement, though you'd really want to get an amp to drive them with.

The M50s seem to be caught in a never ending cycle of FoTM based on price and I don't think it's deserved. The Denon D5000s are about as good as it gets in "mid-fi" for closed, dynamic cans and absolutely destroy the M50s, but even at the $120 price range there are better choices. You won't find much improvement with them over what you already have, outside bass slam I'd imagine.

I say save for the D5000s, they are fantastic headphones in the price range and their upgrade ceiling is virtually limitless. You can get a cheap Fiio E10 DAC/amp and save later for something a little more powerful (Shiit Lyr has great synergy with the D5000s for example).

I was about to get the M50s, but I need some headphones that can take alot of abuse. by denons cracked:(

I heard that the fanny wang 2001 is insanely durable? anyone who can confirm? i dont mind the worse sound and weird name and beats rip off. I just need something that wont break when im abusing them.

You're looking for V-Moda M-80s. All but indestructible cans with fantastic sound quality. No need to sacrifice.

(Alternatively, Sennheiser HD25-IIs do the same)

CPCunha

I'm in love with my German Maestro GMP8.35 and i gotta tell you, they're built to last...and they sound just FANTASTIC.

FoxSpirit

I find the M50 really overhyped. They are clear, yes. But the treble is biting and forward and even after eqing remains unnatural. Plus the mids sounds lifeless... good if you haven't heard a range of phones but once you have heard something with proper mids and smooth treble they are basically dead.

Kambing

I just got a desk and monitor for my computer (used it comfy couch style) and am thinking of upgrading my cans. Primarily, the reason is that i think they are really lacking in quality when compared to my floorstanding speakers. The bass sounds muffled and the sound is lacking clarity.

Current Setup:

- Sennheiser HD 595
- Fiio E7 and Denon 4311 Receiver

Thinking of:

- Sennheiser HD 650
- NuForce HDP

Just wondering if the amp/dac i am considering is overkill in anyway? And for anyone that has upgraded from the HD595 to HD650 was/is it worth it? Any input would be appreciated.

FoxSpirit

Yes, because the 650 are that awesome. There is only a handfull of cans that sound as good as proper floorspeakers, those cans do.

The NuForce HDP is prolly nice but... let's say after the comments they shot at nwavguy for his critique of the uDac, as a tech company they faiiiiil. Complete by ear design with ridiculous reasoning when things go haywire.
Oh yeah, plus again people on amazon and headfi remarked on fatiguing highs... and AKG702 again pushing the limits of yet another amp.

The Yulong D100 is supposedly much better for the same price, unless you need the preamp function of the HDP. Or get ODAC+O2 or the ODA end of summer and save a few bucks, but also on the luxury. ;-)

LCfiner

I just got a desk and monitor for my computer (used it comfy couch style) and am thinking of upgrading my cans. Primarily, the reason is that i think they are really lacking in quality when compared to my floorstanding speakers. The bass sounds muffled and the sound is lacking clarity.

Current Setup:

- Sennheiser HD 595
- Fiio E7 and Denon 4311 Receiver

Thinking of:

- Sennheiser HD 650
- NuForce HDP

Just wondering if the amp/dac i am considering is overkill in anyway? And for anyone that has upgraded from the HD595 to HD650 was/is it worth it? Any input would be appreciated.

The DAC/amp is not overkill. The 650 is used on systems costing thousands of dollars and will sound great - it scales up well with good gear.

I’ve read good things about the Yulong D100 and I had a different Yulong product (the D18 DAC) and the build quality and sound was awesome.

Kambing

Yes, because the 650 are that awesome. There is only a handfull of cans that sound as good as proper floorspeakers, those cans do.

The NuForce HDP is prolly nice but... let's say after the comments they shot at nwavguy for his critique of the uDac, as a tech company they faiiiiil. Complete by ear design with ridiculous reasoning when things go haywire.
Oh yeah, plus again people on amazon and headfi remarked on fatiguing highs... and AKG702 again pushing the limits of yet another amp.

The Yulong D100 is supposedly much better for the same price, unless you need the preamp function of the HDP. Or get ODAC+O2 or the ODA end of summer and save a few bucks, but also on the luxury. ;-)

The DAC/amp is not overkill. The 650 is used on systems costing thousands of dollars and will sound great - it scales up well with good gear.

I’ve read good things about the Yulong D100 and I had a different Yulong product (the D18 DAC) and the build quality and sound was awesome.

Thanks a lot for the responses guys!

Looks like i am set on purchasing the HD650. Pretty excited about it now heh. I was thinking about getting the HD800 but really can't justify the price. The HD800 would be more expensive than one of my floor standing speakers lol.

Where do you guys tend to purchase your headphones? I am thinking about amazon or ebay. The prices on the HD 650 are also kind of sketch, in the fact that they range from $325-470, depending on the seller... Kind of worried about buying a counterfeit item if such a thing is possible. But if they are legitimate, then saving $100+ would be nice.

Anyway, will definitely look into the amp both you mentioned. The NuForce just popped up when i googled heh.

Thanks again

Does anyone know of any wireless "over the head" style headphones that connect over Bluetooth?

I went into Best Buy earlier today and they told me that they didn't have them. I'm sure I can get them online somewhere but I want Gaf's recommendation.

Thanks

Kambing - you ought to check the For Sale/Trade section on Headfi. The HD650 is being bought and sold all the time over there. Just do your research on the seller and take necessary precautions and you should be able to score a second hand pair in great shape for $300 or less

LCfiner

I buy used on head-fi :p

For new stuff, lots of people here have bought on amazon and I’ve picked up a couple from dealers that have secondary stores through amazon. beach audio was one such place.

B&H photo and J&R are OK

the thing with the HD650 is that for a long time stores were allowed to sell them for well below MSRP. But Sennhesier has clamped down the past year or so and that’s why more stores are selling them now at 500. same thing happened with the HD800. you used to be able to find them new for round 1200. Good luck getting that price now. it’s much harder to find them under 1500.

So a ~350 price for the HD650 is not an automatic scam (due diligence checking online retailers still applies). it’s just a place that hasn’t been forced by Senn to get up to MSRP prices recently.

Trojita

Well the place I was thinking about getting the Denon 5000's, I'm kind of afraid of using because the store might be shady. I can get a factory refurbished one for $389.98 though, so I think I'm going to do that.

I'm also looking for more portable headphones. Something that can take a beating if need be. I still have my original case for my Sennheiser 598's because I'm afraid to travel with them. The headphones that I have right now, the IEM SCL4's, I haven't really used at all. Has IEM technology drastically changed from when I bought those?

Right now I'm leaning more to portable on ear headphones. I was thinking about getting the Sennheiser HD25-1 II or the ATH-ESW9. I don't think the latter can take a beating though.

For IEMs, what would be the best in the 150-250 price range? The Monster Turbine Copper?

HiResDes

Well the place I was thinking about getting the Denon 5000's, I'm kind of afraid of using because the store might be shady. I can get a factory refurbished one for $389.98 though, so I think I'm going to do that.

I'm also looking for more portable headphones. Something that can take a beating if need be. I still have my original case for my Sennheiser 598's because I'm afraid to travel with them. The headphones that I have right now, the IEM SCL4's, I haven't really used at all. Has IEM technology drastically changed from when I bought those?

Right now I'm leaning more to portable on ear headphones. I was thinking about getting the Sennheiser HD25-1 II or the ATH-ESW9. I don't think the latter can take a beating though.

For IEMs, what would be the best in the 150-250 price range? The Monster Turbine Copper?

You like that bass right?...So yeah that's not a bad choice at all.

These also have great bass:
HJE900
JVC HA-FXT90
Xears TD4

Hisound Audio Crystal (Currently out of stock)

Trojita

I just want all around awesome sound. Maybe I do want the bass, there was something magical there when first putting on the HD598's.

LCfiner

I’ve owned both the ESW9 and HD 25. they’re both good. I preferred the ESW9 (creamier mids, smoother sound) but they are infamous for being a little weak and the plastic swivels break often.

the HD 25 are famous for being almost unbreakable. There’s a reason that design has remain unchanged for decades.

I’ll also throw in that if you want some surprisingly decent sound from earbuds (with solid bass) in a package you can toss around and not worry about, try to get some hisoundaudio PAA-1 Pro (the pro bit is important) they’re around 40 bucks and sound a little like my Grado SR60. lively, punchy, good midrange.

TheExodu5

Banned

Sennheiser HD598

Do you like the AD-700 sound signature? Might be worth checking out the AKG K702 if you do. World class headphones for relatively cheap. The K702 are great when paired when a good source. Their bass won't rattle you, so if you're looking for bassy cans, you might want to look elsewhere. Still, I feel the K702's bass is the most controlled and accurate bass I've heard to date in headphones.

Compared to the AD-700, the AKG K702 are basically a better version of that. If you're looking for an airy and spacious presentation, incredible transparency, lots of detail, and well controlled bass, they're a solid choice.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hmmm..all-rounders? Hard to fault the Sennheiser HD-650. They don't really "wow" me, but they don't really do badly with any material.

If you liked the HD-598, you might be fond of the Sennheiser sound signature.

I'm about to buy Audio Technica ATH-M50s, but before I do, I want to check some stuff.

Firstly, I won't be using them for hip-hop or rap. They will be used for classic rock (Springsteen, Patti Smith, Beatles), Radiohead, some classical music (Chopin, which is piano, and string quartets), and podcasts. I don't want things that are all lows and geared for rap and dubstep-nonsense. Secondly, I want something that is comfortable to wear. Three, I want them to be closed so that other people won't hear what I am playing. Fourth, I've come to the decision to get the M50s from comments in this thread, this review, this Lifehacker article, and because they are under 150 bucks, which is my absolute ceiling on price. Also, these seem to be fairly portable considering how they fold (and their durability).

So, baring these requirements (the music I listen to, their comfort, them being closed, and their relative portability), do these seem like a good match for me? Oh, and these will be my first nice pair of headphones.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
So GAF I'm trying to stop my friend on wasting 300+ on beats and I need GAFS help here.

BTW, I suggested HD 598, did I screw up?

bedlamite

So GAF I'm trying to stop my friend on wasting 300+ on beats and I need GAFS help here.

BTW, I suggested HD 598, did I screw up?
Very different cans, the 598 is semi-open headphone with an emphasis on mids, the Beats are closed with a strong bass emphasis.

Sony XB500s will give him a similar bass kick for half the price
He can also try the Ultrasone HFI-580s
V-Moda M-80s also have a distinctive look but have a more neutral sound
Aiaiai's TMA-1s look good and are great for dance music, but the coiled cable drives me crazy, not good for portability

Kukuk

Banned
Very different cans, the 598 is semi-open headphone with an emphasis on mids, the Beats are closed with a strong bass emphasis.

Sony XB500s will give him a similar bass kick for half the price
He can also try the Ultrasone HFI-580s
V-Moda M-80s also have a distinctive look but have a more neutral sound
Aiaiai's TMA-1s look good and are great for dance music, but the coiled cable drives me crazy, not good for portability

The TMA-1's are Beats-tier.

The HFI-580's are always a good recommendation though.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm counting down the days until my E10 dies, so I can justify an E17 purchase, with clear conscience. I hear it's awesome.

Sucks that I just spent my HifiM RE272 money on new glasses. Damn me for understanding priorities.

The TMA-1's are Beats-tier.

Here we go again....

Ocho

I recently got a gaming PC and I want to know what's the best way to experience surround sound with headphones. I currently own an ATH-M50 headset. Should I get one of those virtual surround amps? Get a virtual surround usb headset?

Probably has been asked before but I couldn't find any info in the last few pages.

Thanks.

I'm about to buy Audio Technica ATH-M50s, but before I do, I want to check some stuff.

Firstly, I won't be using them for hip-hop or rap. They will be used for classic rock (Springsteen, Patti Smith, Beatles), Radiohead, some classical music (Chopin, which is piano, and string quartets), and podcasts. I don't want things that are all lows and geared for rap and dubstep-nonsense. Secondly, I want something that is comfortable to wear. Three, I want them to be closed so that other people won't hear what I am playing. Fourth, I've come to the decision to get the M50s from comments in this thread, this review, this Lifehacker article, and because they are under 150 bucks, which is my absolute ceiling on price. Also, these seem to be fairly portable considering how they fold (and their durability).

So, baring these requirements (the music I listen to, their comfort, them being closed, and their relative portability), do these seem like a good match for me? Oh, and these will be my first nice pair of headphones.

HEY GUYS MAYBE I SHOULD GET BEATS?!?

pax217

Does anyone know of any wireless "over the head" style headphones that connect over Bluetooth?

I went into Best Buy earlier today and they told me that they didn't have them. I'm sure I can get them online somewhere but I want Gaf's recommendation.

Thanks

MonoPrice.com has a few pairs you should check out.

I recently got a gaming PC and I want to know what's the best way to experience surround sound with headphones. I currently own an ATH-M50 headset. Should I get one of those virtual surround amps? Get a virtual surround usb headset?

Probably has been asked before but I couldn't find any info in the last few pages.

Thanks.

Get a good sound card. The HT Omega or ASUS Xonar series are the best cards around for now. Check those out.

Trojita

HEY GUYS MAYBE I SHOULD GET BEATS?!?

Are you 100% set on Closed Headphones? I'm just asking because at that price range open cans would make those genre of music sound much better. The M-50 are great, but most people get them for their music and bass abilities.

Are you 100% set on Closed Headphones? I'm just asking because at that price range open cans would make those genre of music sound much better. The M-50 are great, but most people get them for their music and bass abilities.

Yes. Closed is what I want because I don't want other people hearing my music in a quiet setting. Or, are some opens more quiet than others? If they are relatively quiet, I can be persuaded to go open.

pax217

The significant other gave me a nice surprise this afternoon...

Apparently SR125i's were going for $100 last week on Amazon (I didn't see it) and she picked them up for me because she knew they were a "higher number" than the Grados I was using (SR80i's)

Been running a lot of break-in on them for the last 6 hours, but the biggest standout from the SR80i's is the midrange... sounds great. Otherwise, I'd say bass is on-par with the SR80i's, at least for now. Stage feels a bit narrower, but that could be some kind of psychological thing because these are substantially heavier than the SR80i's.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm thinking about picking up a FiiO DAC/amp for the CAL!s I just bought. Any suggestions as to which one I should be looking at?

I'd wait until you know that you really need one.

I don't feel good with telling you to buy a DAC which cost as much as your cans.

Can you buy headphone parts e.g. the actual skeleton/ frame? I have Sennheisers that are totally beat up, pieces of foam coming off etc. I was thinking maybe I could transplant their guts into another frame, I know they aren't mega expensive but they're really good and work fine otherwise.

EDIT: Actually, I might buy the Grado SR80i. Anyone got them?

LCfiner

Can you buy headphone parts e.g. the actual skeleton/ frame? I have Sennheisers that are totally beat up, pieces of foam coming off etc. I was thinking maybe I could transplant their guts into another frame, I know they aren't mega expensive but they're really good and work fine otherwise.

I’ve had all sorts of Grados. I have the SR60 and have had the Alessandro MS1 (which is like the SR125). plus some higher end ones.

Re: the sr60 they’re pretty awesome for the price. high mids and treble are aggressive but it makes a lot of guitar and vocals sound amazing. bass isn’t very strong but is present and punchy.

Epix

I hope this is the right place for this question:

Can I voice chat with headset/mic combo running over optical to my sound card?

pax217

I've used a pair of SR80i's for about three years and can't say enough about them. Just got a pair of SR125i's yesterday, and they're even better. Love Grados.

I hope this is the right place for this question:

Can I voice chat with headset/mic combo running over optical to my sound card?

As long as the optical allows for a line-in, then probably. What card is it? That'd probably get you a definitive answer.

M_A_C

The significant other gave me a nice surprise this afternoon...

Apparently SR125i's were going for $100 last week on Amazon (I didn't see it) and she picked them up for me because she knew they were a "higher number" than the Grados I was using (SR80i's)

Been running a lot of break-in on them for the last 6 hours, but the biggest standout from the SR80i's is the midrange... sounds great. Otherwise, I'd say bass is on-par with the SR80i's, at least for now. Stage feels a bit narrower, but that could be some kind of psychological thing because these are substantially heavier than the SR80i's.

Dude, tell her to post them deals for us next time!

Top Bottom