• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

A few questions;

1. What's your budget?

2. What will you be running them out of (PC, iPod etc) and will you be using an amp?

3. Portability a requirement?

1. I'd like to keep it $100 or less.

2. Will be running them out of my iPhone or laptop most times. Haven't really looked into amps, but wouldn't be opposed to buying one if I had to.

3. I don't care much how portable they are. I'm mostly an earbud guy, so I have a nice pair that I can use on the go.

I've almost exclusively used earbuds so I'd like to get into my first pair of headphones for fairly cheap just to try them out.

halogamer

Banned
I'm looking for some wireless headphones to hook up to my TV and play games/watch tv. My budget is ~$100. I am willing to go maybe $30 higher. The headphones must have an optical input (only audio output my TV has). I was looking at the Turtle Beach ones, but I thought I would come ask GAF first.

Keldor

Just received my Ms2i. I was just listening to my Koss Portapros last night thinking how I was worried that I'd be disappointed with the Ms2. All I can say is these are by far the best headphones for rock and metal that I've ever heard. Before this, my favorite can was the A900, but this is on a whole other level. Everything is so clean and crisp and although these aren't the headphones for bassheads, for rock and metal, it's the perfect amount. Thanks for all the help guys.
afZPMl.jpg

54ubal.jpg

How much is it worth spending on audio equipment if my main source of music is Spotify on an iPad? I'm not sure how DACs work exactly, so I'm not sure if a DAC would be great for this setup as it would clean up the low-quality streaming files, or if a DAC is preferable if you're using a high-quality source.

I was thinking about getting that Fiio E7/9 combo and a decent pair of phones, but I'm not sure if that would be overkill or not given that I'm not listening to FLAC files (or even 320 kbps mp3s).

Yeah that's overkill.

Just get decent headphones that can run efficiently off an iPad.

Alright, that works, saves me money I guess. I've been wanting to have a decent headphone setup for awhile but streaming music is so convenient that I really don't see myself buying a decent source (and the CD's or albums that go along with it) until I have my own place (currently renting a room).

So I guess I'll revise my question to: what should I look at getting if I want the absolute best sound I can get out of the iPad + Spotify combo?

HiResDes

2. Will be running them out of my iPhone or laptop most times. Haven't really looked into amps, but wouldn't be opposed to buying one if I had to.

3. I don't care much how portable they are. I'm mostly an earbud guy, so I have a nice pair that I can use on the go.

I've almost exclusively used earbuds so I'd like to get into my first pair of headphones for fairly cheap just to try them out.

CAD MH310

HiResDes

Yo I didn't know those existed, they look like rebranded Fischer 004s, similar to how the HM5's are rebranded Fischer 003s...This is all a good thing, considering they are cheaper. Adding to OP.

HiResDes

Yo I think I am right:

415n2l%2B4OrL.jpg

Fischer_Audio_FA-004_2.jpg

Frogbeats is currently selling the FA-004s for £47.50, which would equal roughly 60 dollars!

The HM3 are selling for less than $40!

Genres? Price Range?

I listen to a little of everything, if possible I want headphones that can do equally well with a wide range of music. I definitely don't want phones that cater to one genre. Good bass would be nice.

As for price, I was planning on getting the Fiio E7 and 9 and a decent pair of headphones, so I'd say around $400 would be my limit, but like I said for the forseeable future they're only going to be used with an iPad with the Spotify app, so I don't want to pay more than I need to. Basically wondering what the max I should spend is before I won't get any noticeable improvement with the next step up.

Again the CAL!s are probably the best suggestion here (by that I mean, they'd be the ones I'd pick in your position lol). Their one big downer is their portability, as they don't have particularly good isolation. If that's not a problem, then I highly recommend them. In the price range, you'll struggle to find headphones with the depth of clarity in bass, mids and treble as the CAL!s, they are really laid back, with a nice rich warmth from the bass transitioning well into the mids. If you read Tyll's review, he said they compete with headphones 5 times the price and he's not kidding. They may not be as good as say, Philips Fidelio L1s, but they are 80-85% of the headphone for 25% of the price. They will sound great with whatever you're listening to. Added bonus, they don't need an amp (though even the cheapest of amps can always provide a difference on headphones, for these it's not essential).

Another suggestion for you to look into;

Koss Pro DJ100. These are cheaper than the CAL!s but they do require an amp, more so than most cans in this price range. That said, with an amp they are terrific headphones for the money. Not as bassy as the CAL!s but not lacking in bass either, it's less warm/rumbly but more detailed and well-balanced. Upper-mids have a slightly forward tilt, so these sound good with vocals too.

Damn, those look pretty classy. Those aren't overdoing it with Spotify as the source?

I like that they're closed, I rent a room in a house, and I tend to stay up late. I also like that they apparently don't need an amp, I've been out of the loop regarding headphones for years now, but the last time I was in the market generally anything that cost over $250 or so required an amp (Senn 595s, AKG 701s, Beyer DT880s, etc.) Thanks for the recommendation!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well, if you're not going to get an amp might as well go all out. :p

Besides, it'll scale if you decide that you'd want something more as far as music files/source goes.

Well, if you're not going to get an amp might as well go all out. :p

Besides, it'll scale if you decide that you'd want something more as far as music files/source goes.

I could get a small amp if it'd help, browsing through the Amazon reviews though there's multiple people claiming it doesn't need one...

I'm not too worried about volume, I'd only want to get an amp if it made a tangible difference in the sound.

Well, I am listening to $500 headphones so I'm staying below $100.

True.

That makes the decision very easy. Get a Fiio E10 asap because you haven't even heard half of what your headphones can do yet.

EDIT: Should note, it's a USB DAC/Amp, plug it in, switch your output in Foobar/Mediamonkey/JRiver etc to WASAPI 24 bit and away you go.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If you can spare $250 the O2/odac combo at jdslabs is an even better value.

edit: huh, I guess jdslabs hasn't really made one of those into a combo yet.

If you can spare $250 the O2/odac combo at jdslabs is an even better value.

It's not better value compared to a Fiio E10 at $70. It's better, but it's not over three times better.

And to be honest, I'd be probably go for the Audio-GD NFB-12.1 for $215 (with it's dual Wolfsons) at that price range.

edit: huh, I guess jdslabs hasn't really made one of those into a combo yet.

You can get them as a combo on JDSLabs, you need to select it from a drop down on their ODAC page. It's $285.

Awesome :) Thanks a bunch.

You're welcome, enjoy!

Again the CAL!s are probably the best suggestion here (by that I mean, they'd be the ones I'd pick in your position lol). Their one big downer is their portability, as they don't have particularly good isolation. If that's not a problem, then I highly recommend them. In the price range, you'll struggle to find headphones with the depth of clarity in bass, mids and treble as the CAL!s, they are really laid back, with a nice rich warmth from the bass transitioning well into the mids. If you read Tyll's review, he said they compete with headphones 5 times the price and he's not kidding. They may not be as good as say, Philips Fidelio L1s, but they are 80-85% of the headphone for 25% of the price. They will sound great with whatever you're listening to. Added bonus, they don't need an amp (though even the cheapest of amps can always provide a difference on headphones, for these it's not essential).

Another suggestion for you to look into;

Koss Pro DJ100. These are cheaper than the CAL!s but they do require an amp, more so than most cans in this price range. That said, with an amp they are terrific headphones for the money. Not as bassy as the CAL!s but not lacking in bass either, it's less warm/rumbly but more detailed and well-balanced. Upper-mids have a slightly forward tilt, so these sound good with vocals too.

Thanks for all of your help. I think the CAL!s are the way I'm going to go. 95% of the time they are going to be used in my home or another environment where noise isn't an issue. Once or twice a year they would probably be used when I'm traveling on an airplane. Do you think the amount of noise they'd let in during a flight would be tolerable or would they let enough sound out to bother anyone around me?

Thanks for all of your help. I think the CAL!s are the way I'm going to go. 95% of the time they are going to be used in my home or another environment where noise isn't an issue. Once or twice a year they would probably be used when I'm traveling on an airplane. Do you think the amount of noise they'd let in during a flight would be tolerable or would they let enough sound out to bother anyone around me?

Won't be a problem, the CAL!s isolation is only poor in comparison to other full sized closed cans. Even then, there's very little leakage at all and certainly not enough that anyone would hear on a flight. You yourself may have to crank up the volume though.

Won't be a problem, the CAL!s isolation is only poor in comparison to other full sized closed cans. Even then, there's very little leakage at all and certainly not enough that anyone would hear on a flight. You yourself may have to crank up the volume though.

Thanks again. This is my first foray into a set of full sized closed cans, so I don't know that much about them. Sounds like the CAL!s are the ones I should buy though.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Hello friends. I'm good on the full-sized headphone front, but I find I'm in need of something highly portable. Here are my needs:

- Must be able to carry them in my pocket comfortably
- Must fit in my small-ish ear canals comfortably
- Must sound amazing with amazing bass

Budget: $1000 I guess? Will easily go over to whatever to get something that would work well for me. Any help finding something would be appreciated!

FoxSpirit

Hello friends. I'm good on the full-sized headphone front, but I find I'm in need of something highly portable. Here are my needs:

Budget: $1000 I guess? Will easily go over to whatever to get something that would work well for me. Any help finding something would be appreciated!

That sounds like custom IEMs will be the perfect answer. Man, 1k for IEMs.

halogamer

Banned
I'm looking for some wireless headphones to hook up to my TV and play games/watch tv. My budget is ~$100. I am willing to go maybe $30 higher. The headphones must have an optical input (only audio output my TV has). I was looking at the Turtle Beach ones, but I thought I would come ask GAF first.

Can someone help me? I think my post got overshadowed by the amazing one lol

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Can someone help me? I think my post got overshadowed by the amazing one lol

I haven't kept up with gaming headphones, but I can say that the Turtle Beach X41s sounded great, felt comfortable and took an optical input.

Az

If possible could some of you help me out to pick decent in-ear headphones. I listen to mainly HipHop, with some Reggae and Rock on my iPhone. So, currently I am using the ones that came with the iPhone. What I care about is that the sound is clean and that other people can't hear it. I am guessing up to $100 would be enough for a decent pair.

I see so many different ones listed I just cannot make a decision.

When I plug my M50s into my computer I notice that they do not go as loud as they do when I plug them into my iPod. Quality is pretty much exactly the same whether I'm listening from my iPod or computer, the computer is just quieter and I'm not sure why. My speakers that are plugged into my PC go very loud. I have onboard sound on my motherboard if that might be it.

Any ideas?

HiResDes

If possible could some of you help me out to pick decent in-ear headphones. I listen to mainly HipHop, with some Reggae and Rock on my iPhone. So, currently I am using the ones that came with the iPhone. What I care about is that the sound is clean and that other people can't hear it. I am guessing up to $100 would be enough for a decent pair.

I see so many different ones listed I just cannot make a decision.
Go with the sunrise audio sw xcape ie. in the OP

1k+ budget? Now you're playing with power lol. If you've got the money and you find most things have a poor fit for you due to your small ear canals, custom fit IEMs are the way to go. Personally, I think the Westone ES5 are amazing. I routinely lose mondo amounts of sleep a day just cause I'm addicted to listening to them. If you value good balance, absolutely magical mids, and an all around involving set of phones that sound amazing straight out of a phone, you should seriously look into them. Westone also uses a hybrid vinyl/acrylic material to build them, so comfort will exceed typical acrylic shells. I know Jerry Harvey's JH16 probably has the best bass slam and quantity out of the custom offerings. I'd see if there is a way to audition the JH16 and the ES5 around your city and go from there

There is also Aurisonic's upcoming AS2 custom that's reputed to hang with heavy hitters like the UM miracle, JH16 etc. early reports from those who have heard them are very positive. They are a hybrid Balanced Armature/Dynamic Driver configuration utilizing next generation custom made armatures. You can wait it out for impressions on those as well.

joesmokey

you'll have an eargasm with those denons. I need to upgrade my d2k with those
Better do it fast before they go out of production. That's why I finally jumped in, got the last one from Amazon.

So far the bass is so much more fun than my K701s, exactly what I was looking for.

I got my CAL!s yesterday and I'd like to thank you for your help. They were exactly what I was looking for.

McArkus

Hello everyone, I'm looking for advise for some good headphones, I will use them for music in my laptop (from classical orchestra to some electronic, rock, and strings) and also for playing games on pc and ps3 (battlefield 3, uncharted 3, and other atmospheric games like bastion and Journey). Also I will only use them on my place but they need good noise insulation for the noisy neighbors but also would like something comfortable that can wear for 3 or 4 hours. My budget goes from $100 to $250.

CRS

Bass okay?

It's great but I think I'm gonna have to invest in an amp. Feel like they need a little more than what my sound card has to drive them. I thought the Xonar STX would have been overkill so I only ended up getting a Xonar DG instead of the STX. They sound great though, bass is really nice, mids are clear, no over-clamping issue, and they're really comfortable.

I have a question though, the impedance on the 900s are 40 Ohms, but I found an option under the headphone section in my mixer's settings that can increase the gain for cans with impedance's > than 64 ohms. If I changed it to that, could it damage my 900s?

Kukuk

Banned
It's great but I think I'm gonna have to invest in an amp. Feel like they need a little more than what my sound card has to drive them. I thought the Xonar STX would have been overkill so I only ended up getting a Xonar DG instead of the STX. They sound great though, bass is really nice, mids are clear, no over-clamping issue, and they're really comfortable.

I have a question though, the impedance on the 900s are 40 Ohms, but I found an option under the headphone section in my mixer's settings that can increase the gain for cans with impedance's > than 64 ohms. If I changed it to that, could it damage my 900s?

Nah, it would only make it louder. It could also make the signal more noisy, since usually changing the gain settings on an amp increases the output impedance (lower output impedance is usually always better).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
M50's can be gotten today new for $100 at soundprofessionals. You can spend 25 more dollars for the limited editions.

I don't know whether I want the coiled or straight cable version, and I'm actually thinking about getting the limited edition version just because I like the colors. It only comes with a straight cable though.

Man you guys are making me want to get the D5000's, but I don't have the money for it.

Top Bottom