• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Gilgamesh

They are very neutral sounding, more balanced than the M50, though you may find them a bit bass light at first.

If you're skeptical about jumping, maybe go with something cheaper at first

Edit: I think you'll be happy with those honestly

I am a bit nervous about making the jump. I've been using ~$25 HD202's for 4 or 5 years now.

I think I'll do it. I would prefer a more balanced set over ones that skew to one end of the spectrum.

Thanks for the advice.

So now I am leaning to those SRH840 as well over the M50 because they aren't as bass heavy. But, from what I am reading, the soundstage doesn't seem to be as good on the SRH840 compared to the m50, and they aren't as comfortable to wear. The SRH840 also seem to be significantly heavier? Like, by a pound? Is that right?

Bah. Decisions.

HiResDes

SRH-840 are definitely heavier, but they definitely have comfier cushions...Soundstage is mediocre on both, wouldn't say the M50 were superior at all. I think the KRK 8400 are similar, if you want a slightly lighter option, but they are more analytical and a little bit less warm. KRK 8400's also have better soundstage than either of them.

Really annoying that a lot of the earphones here aren't available in the UK. Need some for in-ears for going on holiday next week. Anything up to £100. So far I've looked at:

Head Direct RE-ZERO
Head Direct RE0
Beyerdynamic DTX101 iE
Velodyne vPulse (can't find them in the UK/Europe)
Vsonic GR06 (can't find them in UK/Europe)
Head Direct RE-262

Open to suggestions. Pretty much every pair of in-ears I've ever owned has broken though, so more than anything I want something that is going to last.

I am reading a review on headphoneinfo.com and it says the M50s leak a lot and don't isolate very well. (I have no idea if it is a good review site at all. Shame they don't have a review for the SRH840 and the one you just suggested so I could compare.

HiResDes

Type in name of headphone then type in headfi

...Read reviews, and or visit your local headphone place and audition them...Guitar centers carry the KRKs and sometimes the Shures.

M_A_C

What are the best in-ears for sound isolation and decent bass? Looking for around $100 to $150, and would perfer buying from Amazon.

The Shure SE215-CL are only $79 on amazon, good deal that would fit the bill?

HiResDes

What are the best in-ears for sound isolation and decent bass? Looking for around $100 to $150, and would perfer buying from Amazon.

The Shure SE215-CL are only $79 on amazon, good deal that would fit the bill?

At that price, yes jump on them.

HiResDes

Really annoying that a lot of the earphones here aren't available in the UK. Need some for in-ears for going on holiday next week. Anything up to £100. So far I've looked at:

Head Direct RE-ZERO
Head Direct RE0
Beyerdynamic DTX101 iE
Head Direct RE-262

Open to suggestions. Pretty much every pair of in-ears I've ever owned has broken though, so more than anything I want something that is going to last.

I would sugguest RE-Zero, given the high impedance of the RE-262s, but I've heard suspect things about their build quality.

Now that they've been out a while and it seems their build quality is quite solid I can also suggest the A161Ps

What do people mean when they call headphones lyrical or analytical or musical and such? Are certain terms like that specific to certain genres of music? Does it matter if a pair of headphones are for studio monitoring?

I would sugguest RE-Zero, given the high impedance of the RE-262s, but I've heard suspect things about their build quality.

Now that they've been out a while and it seems their build quality is quite solid I can also suggest the A161Ps

It took me a while but I found the ones you suggested (A161P) for £69.99. Got some great reviews for the audio quality. I'm a little worried about the cables though, apparently they're very thin.

LCfiner

What do people mean when they call headphones lyrical or analytical or musical and such? Are certain terms like that specific to certain genres of music? Does it matter if a pair of headphones are for studio monitoring?

here’s my interpretation based on what I’ve read people call headphones that I’ve owned.

musical/ lyrical: mid bass frequencies get boosted a bit. treble is shelved a bit to not sound loud.

analytical: no boost to mid bass or bass, presenting as flat a frequency curve as possible. sometimes more treble presence as more treble volume is very often confused with more treble information.

It does not matter if you get a headphone for studio monitoring as they are likely designed to sound neutral and not obviously colour the sound with extra bass or whatnot.

EXCEPT that some of those studio monitors might be designed with higher impedance which means an iPod or equivalent player won’t have enough voltage to get you a high volume. a studio monitor might have an impedance of 300 ohms, which practically demand a headphone amp. a 32 ohm headphone has less need for a dedicated amp.

Head Direct RE-ZERO
Head Direct RE0
Beyerdynamic DTX101 iE
Head Direct RE-262

I can't really recommend any of the HiFiMan's cause of the weird issues with build quality unfortunately. YMMV, but I had a pair of RE262s that died on me like a week after getting them :l They do carry a warranty but it would still suck if they fail right as your warranty expires. A shame cause they make really great phones. I'd try to grab a pair of the GR06s if possible

Kambing

Just wanted to say thanks to those who recommended i check out headfi for the purchase of my Sennheiser HD 650. Received the cans today and my first impressions going from the HD 598 to this is: SO WORTH IT!

Damn. These headphones really can compete with my floorstanding speakers and I've yet to receive my AMP/DAC combo. Wonder what they will like sound then. The clarity and bass response has been awesome from the HD 650.

And just an FYI for those on the fence, i was able to score these headphones for $330 including shipping. Super awesome deal imo considering i paid $250 for my HD 598 from amazon. Anyway, thanks again guys for all the help. Hopefully this does not become an expensive hobby of mine... lol

Enron

Banned
Two pairs of nice headphones and an AMP/DAC on the way?

It's already too late for you. :(

it's true.

/cues fotns meme

In other headphone news, I had to ditch my emu0404 usb that i've been using as an external DAC/amp for the last 6 years in favor of the Asus Xonar essence STX. Pretty big difference.

So I just lost my ultimate ears triple fi iems :'(, whats a good replacement in the 100 dollar range?

Triple-Fis from ebay for ~150. So many people bought multiples during the amazon sales, there are a shitton of these on the bay in both retail and mail-order packaging. Spend the extra 50 bucks and replace your lost ones, otherwise you will be EXTREMELY dissatisfied with whatever you buy in the 100-range.

Malvolio

So now I am leaning to those SRH840 as well over the M50 because they aren't as bass heavy. But, from what I am reading, the soundstage doesn't seem to be as good on the SRH840 compared to the m50, and they aren't as comfortable to wear. The SRH840 also seem to be significantly heavier? Like, by a pound? Is that right?

Bah. Decisions.

I've used the 840's almost daily for a couple years and I would recommend them with a few exceptions. Do not get them if you plan on wearing them out and about. They are big and they are on the heavier side. They are also a bit uncomfortable initially, but this has a lot to do with their weight coupled with their vice like grip on your head. That goes away after some use as they will become a bit more flexible. After a month or so I was able to wear them for hours on end without really even noticing them. Even after they open up a bit though they keep their isolation. Nobody will hear a thing you are listening to and you will hear next to nothing from outside sources once they are on. Just be aware though that they are big and that can turn a lot of people off. For reference:

cc518437_shure_srh840.jpg

I really do love them, but they have their limitations.

I've used a pair of SR80i's for about three years and can't say enough about them. Just got a pair of SR125i's yesterday, and they're even better. Love Grados.

Thanks. I ended up buying the SR80i's today, pretty nifty and I don't find them at all trebly like others have said.

I also bought a 'proper' Marantz separates sound system, only the amp is borked. I'm gutted :(

GenericPerson

Neo Member
I have been lurking these forums for a bit and I decided to join in. I have been searching the web for headphones and I am stuck between a couple.
Some bands I listen to: Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, Rammstein.
Genres: Symphonic Metal, Power Metal, DnB, Dubstep, Acoustic music.

Budget is around €200

Sennheiser HD 598
Ultrasone HFI 2400 (Discounted from €249 to €164 so it fits in my budget)
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO

These headphones don't have the lowest impedance and I will most likely plug them into my PC to listen to music. Maybe I need an amplifier?

In short:
What headphone would you recommend for listening to music, sometimes for extended periods of time. Sound leaking out is no issue, portability neither.

I am open to suggestions.

1stStrike

Banned
Headphone-GAF,

After a few years of using my Denon's I think I'm going to pick up the Grado RS2i's. I checked out both those and the RS1i's, but I don't think the difference is really worth the $200~ between them.

So, I'll have a pair of both open and closed now that I can swap between. These are going to be my first high(er) class open headphones, so what should I expect bass-wise? Can these handle it, or am I going to have tone it down?

I think LCfiner will recommend that you check out the Grado Magnum enhancements. He wrote something about them being the best bang for your buck awhile back, and I think he felt they compared well to the HP1000 even.

1stStrike

Banned
I think LCfiner will recommend that you check out the Grado Magnum enhancements. He wrote something about them being the best bang for your buck awhile back, and I think he felt they compared well to the HP1000 even.

That seems to involve some sort of modding of an existing pair of Grado headphones? Google searches on what you mentioned are rather inconclusive and don't really provide any details on what is required or the cost involved.

LCfiner

That seems to involve some sort of modding of an existing pair of Grado headphones? Google searches on what you mentioned are rather inconclusive and don't really provide any details on what is required or the cost involved.

I guess the Magnum upgrade from Symphones can be a little confusing.

What they do is take a Grado 325i or Alessandro MS2 which you send to them and they replace the drivers and the plastic holder for the drivers.

They keep the outer silver aluminum cup but replace the plastic driver sleeve and driver with a new aluminum sleeve and the new drivers. The drivers are very fast, have less ringing and less treble harshness compared to the higher end Grado drivers (RS2, 325i, PS500, etc).

this is the website: http://www.symphones.ca/

head fi thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/434471/symphones-magnum-upgrade-for-grado-sr325-and-alessandro-ms2

You can email them to get pricing. They offer two services. a “light” upgrade which just changes the drivers and sleeves and costs 300 dollars. (I got this)

Then they have a full upgrade which costs more (I think 200 more) and adds a bling aluminum gimbal that holds the driver and cup assembly. this has nothing to do with sound and is just, well, cool to see well built aluminum gimbals. it reminds me of old HP1000 Grados.

I found that the Magnum upgrade sounded better than the PS500 (though it was close and the PS500 had more bass), which I had with me at the same time and came very close to the older, and more neutral sounding, HP1000 Grados. The sound of the Magnum changes drastically depending on whether you are using bowls or flats. You get more soundstage and sparklier treble with bowls but I ended up preferring the flats as it made them sound a bit closer to the HP1000 and provided real satisfying bass.

The nice thing about the Magnum option is that a used 325 and the light Magnum upgrade will cost a total of 500 dollars. Which is about the same as a used RS1 or PS500 but it will have better technicalities (less ringing and midrange shout, smoother treble) than either of them. It’s still more expensive than a used RS2, though. But I had an old RS2 and I think the Magnum is better.

edit. here’s CSDs of the magnum and the RS1. those peaks that extend way down the waterfall are evidence of resonances or ringing that can produce unpleasant sibilance or glare depending on the frequencies in question. note that the magnum only have a broad ridge around 5k (not too bad) but the RS1 have multiple long, and narrow ridges (more unpleasant) across multiple frequencies. It backs up what my ears have heard with these headphones.

http://www.changstar.com/index.php/topic,107.0.html

http://www.changstar.com/index.php/topic,44.0.html

shira

Anyone tried out the beats Bluetooth studio beats?
Have not found even a half good wireless headphone setup yet.

1stStrike

Banned
I guess the Magnum upgrade from Symphones can be a little confusing.

What they do is take a Grado 325i or Alessandro MS2 which you send to them and they replace the drivers and the plastic holder for the drivers.

They keep the outer silver aluminum cup but replace the plastic driver sleeve and driver with a new aluminum sleeve and the new drivers. The drivers are very fast, have less ringing and less treble harshness compared to the higher end Grado drivers (RS2, 325i, PS500, etc).

this is the website: http://www.symphones.ca/

head fi thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/434471/symphones-magnum-upgrade-for-grado-sr325-and-alessandro-ms2

You can email them to get pricing. They offer two services. a “light” upgrade which just changes the drivers and sleeves and costs 300 dollars. (I got this)

Then they have a full upgrade which costs more (I think 200 more) and adds a bling aluminum gimbal that holds the driver and cup assembly. this has nothing to do with sound and is just, well, cool to see well built aluminum gimbals. it reminds me of old HP1000 Grados.

I found that the Magnum upgrade sounded better than the PS500 (though it was close and the PS500 had more bass), which I had with me at the same time and came very close to the older, and more neutral sounding, HP1000 Grados. The sound of the Magnum changes drastically depending on whether you are using bowls or flats. You get more soundstage and sparklier treble with bowls but I ended up preferring the flats as it made them sound a bit closer to the HP1000 and provided real satisfying bass.

The nice thing about the Magnum option is that a used 325 and the light Magnum upgrade will cost a total of 500 dollars. Which is about the same as a used RS1 or PS500 but it will have better technicalities (less ringing and midrange shout, smoother treble) than either of them. It’s still more expensive than a used RS2, though. But I had an old RS2 and I think the Magnum is better.

edit. here’s CSDs of the magnum and the RS1. those peaks that extend way down the waterfall are evidence of resonances or ringing that can produce unpleasant sibilance or glare depending on the frequencies in question. note that the magnum only have a broad ridge around 5k (not too bad) but the RS1 have multiple long, and narrow ridges (more unpleasant) across multiple frequencies. It backs up what my ears have heard with these headphones.

http://www.changstar.com/index.php/topic,107.0.html

http://www.changstar.com/index.php/topic,44.0.html

Interesting stuff. I looked at the Magnum site and the only deal I see on there right now is a $399 "special" for head-fi members with no other pricing or anything listed. I don't even know what's included in that price.

I'm sure they're great, but I don't want to mod a pair of brand new headphones (I don't buy used) and risk losing out on the warranty or having something go horribly wrong and end up one or both sides dead or something.

LCfiner

Interesting stuff. I looked at the Magnum site and the only deal I see on there right now is a $399 "special" for head-fi members with no other pricing or anything listed. I don't even know what's included in that price.

I'm sure they're great, but I don't want to mod a pair of brand new headphones (I don't buy used) and risk losing out on the warranty or having something go horribly wrong and end up one or both sides dead or something.

yeah, their pricing page is out of date.

I see where you’re coming from. If you’re only going to buy brand new and are very concerned about warranties, then this is not the best option (although they do provide a 1 year warranty on the drivers. those will always be new when you get the Magnum. it’s the old 325i that acts as a shell that is used).

The RS2 are still very nice. I like how light all the wooden Grados are. But if you want something that has some better, stronger bass, and less shrill highs, then consider the PS500. It’s a different type of sound for Grado and very, very good. (also, 100 bucks cheaper than the RS1)

1stStrike

Banned
yeah, their pricing page is out of date.

I see where you’re coming from. If you’re only going to buy brand new and are very concerned about warranties, then this is not the best option (although they do provide a 1 year warranty on the drivers. those will always be new when you get the Magnum. it’s the old 325i that acts as a shell that is used).

The RS2 are still very nice. I like how light all the wooden Grados are. But if you want something that has some better, stronger bass, and less shrill highs, then consider the PS500. It’s a different type of sound for Grado and very, very good. (also, 100 bucks cheaper than the RS1)

Okay, the high shrills would probably put me off. I've heard the Grado's are infamous for those, which on reading up on it, seems like the RSx series is still prone to. Do you know where I can get the best price for the PS500's brand new? I only see 1 being sold on Amazon and it's $595.

LCfiner

Okay, the high shrills would probably put me off. I've heard the Grado's are infamous for those, which on reading up on it, seems like the RSx series is still prone to. Do you know where I can get the best price for the PS500's brand new? I only see 1 being sold on Amazon and it's $595.

Sorry, I don’t know of any places to get cheaper prices. Grado is infamous for keeping MSRP as the actual retail price for their distributors. The best price I saw new was a canadian seller, stereotypeaudio.com , selling them for $580. I think they ship international.

one other option for a grado sound but with less bright treble are the alessandro variants. Grado makes three headphones for alessandro music products. the MS2i is like the 325i but a bit more tamed. the MS pro is like the RS1i but, again, tuned to be less aggressive.

same pricing as the equivalent Grado models.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Anyone tried out the beats Bluetooth studio beats?
Have not found even a half good wireless headphone setup yet.

The Jabra Halo2?

I wish I hadn't dropped my BT8030s in the toilet. Never heard sound that great out of a Bluetooth set, and they don't sell it anymore. Thing was bulky though.

1stStrike

Banned
Sorry, I don’t know of any places to get cheaper prices. Grado is infamous for keeping MSRP as the actual retail price for their distributors. The best price I saw new was a canadian seller, stereotypeaudio.com , selling them for $580. I think they ship international.

one other option for a grado sound but with less bright treble are the alessandro variants. Grado makes three headphones for alessandro music products. the MS2i is like the 325i but a bit more tamed. the MS pro is like the RS1i but, again, tuned to be less aggressive.

same pricing as the equivalent Grado models.

That's what I figured. I guess I'll just end up buying them off WooAudio since they throw in a free headphone stand with it. I'm using a fancy banana hanger for my D7000's right now, and there's not enough room on it for two pairs of headphones :p

I've heard that the Grado's are also pretty clampy/uncomfortable so I'm going to pick up these as well since I've heard good things about them. Any other recommendations on ear pads for Grado's that won't take the fun out of the sound?

LCfiner

That's what I figured. I guess I'll just end up buying them off WooAudio since they throw in a free headphone stand with it. I'm using a fancy banana hanger for my D7000's right now, and there's not enough room on it for two pairs of headphones :p

I've heard that the Grado's are also pretty clampy/uncomfortable so I'm going to pick up these as well since I've heard good things about them. Any other recommendations on ear pads for Grado's that won't take the fun out of the sound?

I love flat pads. But they don’t suit every Grado. be careful. I think they work great on the RS1/ RS2 as they reduce treble harshness and give a pleasing bass boost. they also work great with the magnums. I also find them more comfortable than bowls as they spread the pressure across more of the ear surface area.

but they do not work on the PS500 as the PS500 are tuned for way more bass by default and they sound thick and muddy with flats (at least, for my taste). the PS500 need the extra air inside the regular bowls to disperse the bass to keep it balanced with the mids. the 325 also sound a bit congested and thick with flats since they have amore of a V shaped FR compared to the RS phones.

Your first instinct to go with the RS2 might be your best bet if you want to use flats. But if you’re going to stick with bowls, the PS500 is probably better.

Oh, I also just saw that you have the D7000. the PS500 is more similar to the D7000 with the bass emphasis. but if you want something that’s more of a contrast in sound then the RS2 might be a better option.

I've been thinking about getting a different set of headphones. What's better than the Beyerdynamic DT 770? They are already amped. I'm looking for some great and warm sounding headphones.

Also selling said Beyerdynamic headphones for $200, negotiable if interested.

1stStrike

Banned
I love flat pads. But they don’t suit every Grado. be careful. I think they work great on the RS1/ RS2 as they reduce treble harshness and give a pleasing bass boost. they also work great with the magnums. I also find them more comfortable than bowls as they spread the pressure across more of the ear surface area.

but they do not work on the PS500 as the PS500 are tuned for way more bass by default and they sound thick and muddy with flats (at least, for my taste). the PS500 need the extra air inside the regular bowls to disperse the bass to keep it balanced with the mids. the 325 also sound a bit congested and thick with flats since they have amore of a V shaped FR compared to the RS phones.

Your first instinct to go with the RS2 might be your best bet if you want to use flats. But if you’re going to stick with bowls, the PS500 is probably better.

Oh, I also just saw that you have the D7000. the PS500 is more similar to the D7000 with the bass emphasis. but if you want something that’s more of a contrast in sound then the RS2 might be a better option.

You pretty much just sold me on the RS2's there. While I do love the rich bass that I get with my D7000's, it's not like I'm getting rid of them. They're still going to be here, side by side, with the Grado's so if I want an emphasis on bass then I can just switch to the kings of headphone bass at a whim.

I think I will pick up the RS2's after all and grab those flat pads for them. Worst case scenario, I can always return them if I decide I don't like them. Plus they're a bit cheaper too, so I ultimately save some money going this route.

Thanks for the info and recommendations. Reading random headfi posts and such around google is helpful, but this gives me some details that those were lacking.

bowery

So the M50S is 124 right now on amazon, been looking at them for a little bit and is it wise to jump on them now or do they tend to go down a little cheaper?

I own a pair of Razer Carcharias phones that I use on my PC. I own a pair of Monster Beats by Dre Pro that I use around the house with my mp3 player.

Is there anything that offers as much bass as the Beats Pro but the lightweight/wearability properties of the Carcharias headset?

I would need it to be fairly easily driven, because I don't want to mess with amps. Price isn't huge issue if it's worth it. Portability is definitively a plus.

Main listening: Hard Rock, Hip-Hop, Various Electronic genres (dubstep, electro, trance... etc)

LCfiner

You pretty much just sold me on the RS2's there. While I do love the rich bass that I get with my D7000's, it's not like I'm getting rid of them. They're still going to be here, side by side, with the Grado's so if I want an emphasis on bass then I can just switch to the kings of headphone bass at a whim.

I think I will pick up the RS2's after all and grab those flat pads for them. Worst case scenario, I can always return them if I decide I don't like them. Plus they're a bit cheaper too, so I ultimately save some money going this route.

Thanks for the info and recommendations. Reading random headfi posts and such around google is helpful, but this gives me some details that those were lacking.

I think you’ll be happy with the RS2. there’s always something special about that Grado sound. I’ll always own one, even if it’s just an SR60.

Your future setup of the D7000 and RS2 will be analogous to what I have going with the LCD3 and magnum. One big headphone with heavy bass and big soundstage and one lighter one with a more aggressive, midrange/treble focused sound. I think it’s a good contrast that works.

good stuff. let us know how it goes after you get them.

Kukuk

Banned
I own a pair of Razer Carcharias phones that I use on my PC. I own a pair of Monster Beats by Dre Pro that I use around the house with my mp3 player.

Is there anything that offers as much bass as the Beats Pro but the lightweight/wearability properties of the Carcharias headset?

I would need it to be fairly easily driven, because I don't want to mess with amps. Price isn't huge issue if it's worth it. Portability is definitively a plus.

Main listening: Hard Rock, Hip-Hop, Various Electronic genres (dubstep, electro, trance... etc)

The Sony MDR-XB700's are probably the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn, and they bass quantity on them easily exceeds the Beats Pro's. In fact, I think their overall sound quality might be better.

1stStrike

Banned
So the M50S is 124 right now on amazon, been looking at them for a little bit and is it wise to jump on them now or do they tend to go down a little cheaper?

They were down around $100 once. I don't ever really see any sales on those, so I would go for them now.

I think you’ll be happy with the RS2. there’s always something special about that Grado sound. I’ll always own one, even if it’s just an SR60.

Your future setup of the D7000 and RS2 will be analogous to what I have going with the LCD3 and magnum. One big headphone with heavy bass and big soundstage and one lighter one with a more aggressive, midrange/treble focused sound. I think it’s a good contrast that works.

good stuff. let us know how it goes after you get them.

I just bought them and the flat ear pads I linked earlier, so hopefully they'll arrive this coming week so I can start breaking them in. I haven't had to break in headphones in about two years now, so looking forward to giving these a whirl.

Edit:

This cracks me up.

standf9jsj.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
Ultrasones aren't exactly warm sounding. The 900s are probably some of the best bass centric headphones out there, but they're probably also pretty bright in the top end like most Ultrasones. If you're looking for warm, specifically, you might want to look at the Denons (D5000, D7000).

1stStrike

Banned
Ultrasones aren't exactly warm sounding. The 900s are probably some of the best bass centric headphones out there, but they're probably also pretty bright in the top end like most Ultrasones. If you're looking for warm, specifically, you might want to look at the Denons (D5000, D7000).

If he wants portability I wouldn't recommend the Denon's, though. They don't really hold up well to travel. Hell, I broke my ear cups off my old D2000's in my own house (the single screw on either side snapped).

Top Bottom