• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Anyone know anything about Yamaha EPH-100? They're available for around £80 and they've got some decent reviews. Looking at these or the A161P at the moment.

Go for it. Can't believe you haven't jumped on something yet.

I've been reading so many reviews and forum posts and it's been impossible to find one that doesn't have a complaint about build quality. It's hard to determine a general consensus on anything in this market. Almost as bad as shopping for a TV!

1stStrike

Banned
I've been reading so many reviews and forum posts and it's been impossible to find one that doesn't have a complaint about build quality. It's hard to determine a general consensus on anything in this market. Almost as bad as shopping for a TV!

Just remember that nobody will ever agree 100% on anything. Even books as popular as George Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series has 1 star reviews out there. Use reviews to get a general idea, but don't take them to heart. Just narrow your choices down to 2 or 3 headphones, weigh the pro's and cons and then make the leap.

LCfiner

I gotta pipe in here and say that anyone who wants to upgrade any of the low end Grados like the SR60, 80, 125 that come with comfies should immediately buy a pair of flats from TTVJ.

I got my flats on the SR60 now (they’re usually on the Magnums) and it’s a pretty remarkable transformation from the comfies.

since the comfies are so light and porous, a ton of bass volume is lost in them. the flats are much denser and provide a serious kick in the pants. the lower midrange also gets a little boost.

But the nice thing about popping on flats on these three headphones instead of the easier to find bowls is that they don’t move the drivers away from the ear. these three cans are designed for comfies, which keep the driver close to the ear. putting on bowls makes the midrange a little more distant and makes the treble a little harsher. but flats don’t do this. the midrange stays nice and sweet and forward and the highs don’t get any more strident than normal.

they’re a better system upgrade for those grados (well, at least for the SR60 in my possession now) than any external amp/dac combo.

Man... Someone over at HF is interested in offloading an absolutely pristine Qualia 010... I wish I had the dough to build a rig around those beauties. That definitely ain't gonna be cheap...

Anyone have some good suggestions for comfortable headphones for people with glasses?

I'm thinking the Grado SR80i since they seem a bit smaller and it doesn't look like the headband would put that much force on my ear... but I'm not sure.

1stStrike

Banned
Anyone have some good suggestions for comfortable headphones for people with glasses?

I'm thinking the Grado SR80i since they seem a bit smaller and it doesn't look like the headband would put that much force on my ear... but I'm not sure.

I wear glasses and the Denon series of headphones (D2000/D7000) have been extremely comfortable for me. They're closed headphones, as opposed to the open Grado's, and maybe a bit more expensive than you'd like - but I can wear them for 8 hours a day at work and hardly notice they're on my head.

Those are fine with glasses. They sit comfortably on the ears, and you can adjust the headband if there's any pressure in your ears. They're a fine choice.

1stStrike

Banned
FYI, I had purchased a pair of the Grado RS2i's off HiFi Heaven for $396 - they were an open box model that had been used for display. While I'm normally adverse to used headphones, a display model is OK with me.

However, they contacted me this morning asking if I wanted to get a sealed/unused pair of the same headphones for $49 more - i.e. $445. As that's $50 cheaper than anywhere else on the net, I went ahead and jumped on them.

The display unit is still available, though, so you could save about $100 on these if you bought them.

Just a heads up.

I wear glasses and the Denon series of headphones (D2000/D7000) have been extremely comfortable for me. They're closed headphones, as opposed to the open Grado's, and maybe a bit more expensive than you'd like - but I can wear them for 8 hours a day at work and hardly notice they're on my head.

Thanks for the suggestion. At the very least, I'll look into them :)

Those are fine with glasses. They sit comfortably on the ears, and you can adjust the headband if there's any pressure in your ears. They're a fine choice.

Wonderful! Glad to hear it!

pax217

headphone amp?

I had a nice iphone DAC/amp for my last car. My current car has bluetooth (sounds like shit) and a 1/8" input jack.

Was thinking about a small battery powered DAC/headphone amp to make the iphone should better connected to the input? any ideas?

Looking for something like this :http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ampaign=none&gclid=COSuo6q1-7ACFYS6Kgod93Wv0g

but less money... :p

Wait, you're looking to amp your in-line that's going into your car stereo?

FYI, I had purchased a pair of the Grado RS2i's off HiFi Heaven for $396 - they were an open box model that had been used for display. While I'm normally adverse to used headphones, a display model is OK with me.

However, they contacted me this morning asking if I wanted to get a sealed/unused pair of the same headphones for $49 more - i.e. $445. As that's $50 cheaper than anywhere else on the net, I went ahead and jumped on them.

The display unit is still available, though, so you could save about $100 on these if you bought them.

Just a heads up.

Must pay bills. Must not fall into trap.

LCfiner

headphone amp?

I had a nice iphone DAC/amp for my last car. My current car has bluetooth (sounds like shit) and a 1/8" input jack.

Was thinking about a small battery powered DAC/headphone amp to make the iphone should better connected to the input? any ideas?

Looking for something like this :http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ampaign=none&gclid=COSuo6q1-7ACFYS6Kgod93Wv0g

iPhone compatible DACs are pretty rare and thus expensive.

cheapest one I know of is the HRT istreamer. i think it’s around 200? it’s a DAC only. line level RCA outs. but you could take that and pop it into the 1/8” aux jack in your car and the car’s head unit becomes the amp (it would be the final part of the chain in any case so I’m not sure why you would need an amp if you’re gonna hook it up to the car speakers, anyway)

fake edit. the streamer needs an external power source so you’d need to split off something from the 12V jack and then convert to a USB port for the thing. cabling might be messy as hell.

Flo_Evans

Wait, you're looking to amp your in-line that's going into your car stereo?

Must pay bills. Must not fall into trap.

Well I want to pre-amp it, or get a nicer DAC than is in the iphone. I lost my 4 which was decent, and am back on the 3G. It just sounds like ass.

Just wondering if there is anything I can do to make it better.

FoxSpirit

I'll just leave this here, without words :-D

1d13e78c_IMG_20120618_210615.jpeg

headphone amp?

ha! I've been looking into ipod compatible DAC/Amps all morning after coming across the Fostex. haven't found anything made specifically for an iphone, but you might wanna check out the Leckerton UHA-6S MkII. I'm thinking about gambling on that since the ODAC/O2 is sold out

@FoxSpirit, nice, is that the ODAC/O2? You gonna solder that board into the amp?

FoxSpirit

ha! I've been looking into ipod compatible DAC/Amps all morning after coming across the Fostex. haven't found anything made specifically for an iphone, but you might wanna check out the Leckerton UHA-6S MkII. I'm thinking about gambling on that since the ODAC/O2 is sold out

@FoxSpirit, nice, is that the ODAC/O2? You gonna solder that board into the amp?
Nope, I don't even have a S-III. But yeah, that's an ODAC running directly from the phone. Portable heaven, just what I wanted.
Also, the ODAC will be back in stock end of July or you get it from epiphany audio in the UK where it's still in stock.
Man, I really am pondering getting that combo, as an engineer such an occasion is like a dream :-D

Raw, raw, fight the power :p

Nope, I don't even have a S-III. But yeah, that's an ODAC running directly from the phone. Portable heaven, just what I wanted.
Also, the ODAC will be back in stock end of July or you get it from epiphany audio in the UK where it's still in stock.
Man, I really am pondering getting that combo, as an engineer such an occasion is like a dream :-D

Raw, raw, fight the power :p

yeah, I'd jump on the ODA/DAC combo but it won't be in stock for awhile. I wish there was a way for me to A/B it with the Leckerton, cause as of right now, the Leckerton combo looks highly appealing to me.

Went ahead and ordered the Leckerton UHA-6S MKii after consulting with Anaxilus and Shotgunshane over at HF over which amp/DAC combo would pair best with my ES5. I'm supposed to be expecting excellent clarity and resolution, a black, noiseless background and a very deep sound stage, which is exactly what I want out of the ES5. Can't flippin' wait
uha-6s-mkii_0201.jpg

1stStrike

Banned
Went ahead and ordered the Leckerton UHA-6S MKii after consulting with Anaxilus and Shotgunshane over at HF over which amp/DAC combo would pair best with my ES5. I'm supposed to be expecting excellent clarity and resolution, a black, noiseless background and a very deep sound stage, which is exactly what I want out of the ES5. Can't flippin' wait
uha-6s-mkii_0201.jpg

That looks nice. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks about palm sized? Or is it a bit bigger? Either way, I like the white look on it. Mine is black so it shows dust pretty easily, thus I have to be anal retentive about wiping it off all the time :p

That looks nice. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks about palm sized? Or is it a bit bigger? Either way, I like the white look on it. Mine is black so it shows dust pretty easily, thus I have to be anal retentive about wiping it off all the time :p
Yeah, I decided to go with the silver over the black cause it looks nicer to me. A lot of my black electronics look cool but yeah, dust magnets... And I think it's pretty damned small, here's a pic of Shane's Leckerton next to a Nano and his UM Merlins

http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/34/34de88f9_leckerton.jpeg

1stStrike

Banned
Yeah, I decided to go with the silver over the black cause it looks nicer to me. A lot of my black electronics look cool but yeah, dust magnets... And I think it's pretty damned small, here's a pic of Shane's Leckerton next to a Nano and his UM Merlins

http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/34/34de88f9_leckerton.jpeg

Ah, yeah, about the size I expected it. I think whenever I'm ready for a new one to be built I'm going to aim for smaller so it has the potential to be somewhat portable.

Let me know how it works out for you. I'm wondering how mine will do with my new Grado's. It's been great for my Denon's, but haven't tried it with a good pair of open headphones yet.

I was thinking of picking up this to replace my X-FI Titanium HD in my desktop. Still not sure yet.

Looks so ergonomic, jealous.
lol, I was gonna jump on AlphaPhoenix's ODAC/C421 combo this morning til someone else snatched them both up for the tune of $290 I think.

Check 'em out:
900x900px-LL-dae2d294_ODA1.jpeg

900x900px-LL-709ed7b1_ODA2.jpeg

Would stack real well with an iPhone 4 on top, but eh, if Anaxilus is to be believed, supposedly the Leckerton can't be beat in its price range til you step up to the $650 ALO RX MKIII.

Ah, yeah, about the size I expected it. I think whenever I'm ready for a new one to be built I'm going to aim for smaller so it has the potential to be somewhat portable.

Let me know how it works out for you. I'm wondering how mine will do with my new Grado's. It's been great for my Denon's, but haven't tried it with a good pair of open headphones yet.

I was thinking of picking up this to replace my X-FI Titanium HD in my desktop. Still not sure yet.
I've heard good things about the ASUS Xonar. I'm gonna be using the Leckerton to be driving a pair of custom ES5 IEMs most of the time, which is a really sensitive IEM. I can even hear hiss on my iPhone 4 which is dead silent with all my other in ears. The only full sized can I've got in my possession is the SA5K. I guess I can try out the SA5K to see how the Leckerton handles a full sized can as they are supposed to be pretty picky about source, which is a really big reason as to why I never got around to building a rig for it, it's just too damned expensive to get the synergistic components in line.

1stStrike

Banned
I've heard good things about the ASUS Xonar. I'm gonna be using the Leckerton to be driving a pair of custom ES5 IEMs most of the time, which is a really sensitive IEM. I can even hear hiss on my iPhone 4 which is dead silent with all my other in ears. The only full sized can I've got in my possession is the SA5K. I guess I can try out the SA5K to see how the Leckerton handles a full sized can as they are supposed to be pretty picky about source, which is a really big reason as to why I never got around to building a rig for it, it's just too damned expensive to get the synergistic components in line.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of people using the ASUS Xonar have gone from X-FI to that, since it's much better for headphones. I've been having some weird issues lately too where in the middle of listening to music or watching a video I'll get this weird crackling sound in the background (not like hissing or static, but like something is malfunctioning) and it's worrying me. I'm pretty sure it's the audio card, so going to start there.

Also, is that thing really that sensitive on the setup? I guess you'll have to get it just right and not fuck with it much lol. I am interested in seeing if you can make it work with full sized cans well, though.

Bad news guys. I was changing in a bathroom and had nowhere else to put my headphones but on the ground. I accidentally stepped on them when putting my leg through some pants, and a tiny piece of plastic came off of them. These are ATH-M50s by the way.

The tiny plastic piece acted as a lock for the left side of my phones. It basically retained the headphone's shape. Here are some pics:

C2F2Pl.jpg

See how the left side bends back further than the right?
Here's a closeup of the right (unbroken side):

zSQECl.jpg

PSSf2l.jpg

(don't know why that is sideways)

Using my iPhone camera so it's a little blurry, but here's the piece that fell out:

KbnOxl.jpg

I can force the piece back in, but it pops out when bending the cup backwards. I tried to super glue it in, but it still popped out. I think I'm just out of luck, because my warranty is out too. :(

It's so unfortunate because it's such a tiny piece to ruin the entire thing. Any ideas or tips on fixing this?

But I guess this means I'm ready for my next pair. Luckily, I just graduated HS so I have a ton of cash, and enough to let go. I even have $100 to Amazon, so I'm willing to spend about $250-$300 including that. I really loved my ATH-M50s, but I wouldn't mind trying something new out.

I listen to just about everything, but the pair has to carry techno well (think stuff like Actress). What would you masters recommend? Thanks for any help!!

Yeah, it seems like a lot of people using the ASUS Xonar have gone from X-FI to that, since it's much better for headphones. I've been having some weird issues lately too where in the middle of listening to music or watching a video I'll get this weird crackling sound in the background (not like hissing or static, but like something is malfunctioning) and it's worrying me. I'm pretty sure it's the audio card, so going to start there.

Also, is that thing really that sensitive on the setup? I guess you'll have to get it just right and not fuck with it much lol. I am interested in seeing if you can make it work with full sized cans well, though.

Wish i could help out with that but I don't do much listening from a PC, though I'm planning on running an optical TOSlink to the Leckerton for laptop listening through Fubar when I'm at home. And yeah, the ES5 is really sensitive, I think the ER-6i was the same way, though I'm not sure... It's not issue unless I'm listening to classical or instrumental music. For instance, I was listening to the 25th anniversary Zelda CD earlier, and on the Great Fairy Fountain theme, it's dead silent save for the two harps playing in unison, or rather, it SHOULD be, but I can still hear the background hiss intruding into the music with the ES5 which is really annoying. I'm hoping the Leckerton is dead silent in this regard as that would help immensely with certain recordings

As for driving full sized cans, you might be interested in this:

"Similarly, I really liked what the Leckerton did for my Grado RS-1. I did notice just a tiny bit of airiness missing from the top end, but overall it sounded incredibly good. Bass was punchy and solid, and the soundstage was about as expansive as these Grados ever go with the stock bowls. I mentioned earlier that the highs had a very slight downward slope; it is not enough to deter the RS-1s from rocking in typical Grado fashion. Guitars sounded especially good, with the signature Grado “crunchiness” that reminded me again why the name Grado means world class performance in that area."

from Project86's incredibly thorough review:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/508076/review-leckerton-audio-uha-6s-portable-amp-dac

note that that is the UHA-6S. The MKII that succeeds it is supposed to be even better with a lower noise floor and increased output

HiResDes

But I guess this means I'm ready for my next pair. Luckily, I just graduated HS so I have a ton of cash, and enough to let go. I even have $100 to Amazon, so I'm willing to spend about $250-$300 including that. I really loved my ATH-M50s, but I wouldn't mind trying something new out.

I listen to just about everything, but the pair has to carry techno well (think stuff like Actress). What would you masters recommend? Thanks for any help!!

Pioneer HDJ-2000 or AKG K550

1stStrike

Banned

Time to upgrade. I recommend the Shure SRH840's. Should be more comfortable than your ATH-50's and have better sound to boot. The only downside to the Shure's is that if you have a really big head they might be a bit uncomfortable on top, but that can be gotten around.

Wish i could help out with that but I don't do much listening from a PC, though I'm planning on running an optical TOSlink to the Leckerton for laptop listening through Fubar when I'm at home. And yeah, the ES5 is really sensitive, I think the ER-6i was the same way, though I'm not sure... It's not issue unless I'm listening to classical or instrumental music. For instance, I was listening to the 25th anniversary Zelda CD earlier, and on the Great Fairy Fountain theme, it's dead silent save for the two harps playing in unison, or rather, it SHOULD be, but I can still hear the background hiss intruding into the music with the ES5 which is really annoying. I'm hoping the Leckerton is dead silent in this regard as that would help immensely with certain recordings

As for driving full sized cans, you might be interested in this:

"Similarly, I really liked what the Leckerton did for my Grado RS-1. I did notice just a tiny bit of airiness missing from the top end, but overall it sounded incredibly good. Bass was punchy and solid, and the soundstage was about as expansive as these Grados ever go with the stock bowls. I mentioned earlier that the highs had a very slight downward slope; it is not enough to deter the RS-1s from rocking in typical Grado fashion. Guitars sounded especially good, with the signature Grado “crunchiness” that reminded me again why the name Grado means world class performance in that area."

from Project86's incredibly thorough review:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/508076/review-leckerton-audio-uha-6s-portable-amp-dac

note that that is the UHA-6S. The MKII that succeeds it is supposed to be even better with a lower noise floor and increased output

Ah, no worries. I'm mostly a PC listener, so I keep all of my headphones in the house. If I go out then I use my Victor FX700's with my Zune or Tablet since they're so much easier to travel with (still love them btw). That comment on being good with Grado's is interesting, though. I'm going to have to replace my soundcard first, so it probably won't be until next month or so, but I'll look into this depending on how the Grado's sound with my existing setup.

HiResDes

You could probably check out the V-Moda M80s at your local Apple store or something, those are supposed to pretty good as well.

1stStrike

Banned
940s are in his price range as well : )

True, and they're cheaper than the other two that you mentioned. I was just thinking that he could get an upgrade with these without immediately bumping up to nearly double the cost of his last pair, but perhaps that's for the better as he'd get into the next level of headphones.

HiResDes

I'm buying the AKG K550, I have a phone interview tomorrow with a decent place if I get the job they will be mine...And I'll be selling my Fischer FA-011s, though I've grown to really like them.

Ran rp

Any recommendations for cheap, decent quality portable speakers? The speakers on the Vita are way too quiet and I'd like to get some portable speakers for it so I don't have to mess around with my computer's speakers.

Top Bottom