• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

1stStrike

Banned
PSY・S;39478017 said:
Any recommendations for cheap, decent quality portable speakers? The speakers on the Vita are way too quiet and I'd like to get some portable speakers for it so I don't have to mess around with my computer's speakers.

This is the headphone thread. We don't really do speakers. If you want some earbuds or headphone recommendations we're happy to help, though.

First off, thanks to all the recommendations and help, guys. Good news is that a few days ago I ordered the Shure SRH840's. Bad news is that I am going to have to return them. I think they are just a busted set, because at a very comfortable listening volume, the highs are getting distorted.

Anyway, I don't know if I am going to simply get a refund, exchange for a new pair, or get something else. While the weight isn't an issue, the headphones are just huge and bulky. Even the cord that came with them is thick, heavy, and unwieldy. I can use them at my desk, but I can't use them around my house because of how cumbersome they are. Also, I'm concerned that there are wires exposed on the outside of the ear pieces that run up the side of the headband; I feel that no matter the care I give these, if I ever travel with them, they might break.

I do like their sound (minus the distorted highs on this busted pair), but I wish the soundstage was better.

I mentioned originally that I wanted a nice pair in the 150 range (I could be persuaded to go up to 200). I still don't want something that artificially enhances the bass, and I don't want something that requires an amp.

Is there anything that sounds like the SRH840's that 1: aren't as bulky, making their use around the house uncomfortable; 2: have a better soundstage, 3: preferably still closed.

I understand closed headphones are going to increase the bulk and decrease the soundstage, but I really don't want a lot of leakage from the headphones where everyone around me can listen to what I am listening to. If a pair of opens don't leak too terribly bad, they might work. And if they have a little stronger, or at least a more energetic, bass, that would be alright. Suggestions?

First off, thanks to all the recommendations and help, guys. Good news is that a few days ago I ordered the Shure SRH840's. Bad news is that I am going to have to return them. I think they are just a busted set, because at a very comfortable listening volume, the highs are getting distorted.

Anyway, I don't know if I am going to simply get a refund, exchange for a new pair, or get something else. While the weight isn't an issue, the headphones are just huge and bulky. Even the cord that came with them is thick, heavy, and unwieldy. I can use them at my desk, but I can't use them around my house because of how cumbersome they are. Also, I'm concerned that there are wires exposed on the outside of the ear pieces that run up the side of the headband; I feel that no matter the care I give these, if I ever travel with them, they might break.

I do like their sound (minus the distorted highs on this busted pair), but I wish the soundstage was better.

I mentioned originally that I wanted a nice pair in the 150 range (I could be persuaded to go up to 200). I still don't want something that artificially enhances the bass, and I don't want something that requires an amp.

Is there anything that sounds like the SRH840's that 1: aren't as bulky, making their use around the house uncomfortable; 2: have a better soundstage, 3: preferably still closed.

I understand closed headphones are going to increase the bulk and decrease the soundstage, but I really don't want a lot of leakage from the headphones where everyone around me can listen to what I am listening to. If a pair of opens don't leak too terribly bad, they might work. And if they have a little stronger, or at least a more energetic, bass, that would be alright. Suggestions?
Vmoda M80's. They're in your price range, they're closed but with a decent soundstage, and have some decent bass. They are portable cans though.

flippedb

Banned
My Rockbox'd Clip+ is starting to die on me. No sound on the left channel, I know it's easily fixable, but this would be the third time I do this. So, any recommendations on a good player? Portability is not an issue, I want to play FLACs, ALAC, MP3 and some WMAs I have. External storage is a must and Rockbox would be great as well, since I love its Parametric EQ.

I listen to Jazz, Classical, Indie, Pop, Electronic, etc. My headphones would be the Franken-Klipsch S4 and Audio Technica AD-900 (Main Headphones)

I'd use this guy just at home, I can still fix the Clip for going to the Uni. Thanks Audio-GAF.

Gilgamesh

Sorry to hear that man. I just got mine and already I'm loving them. Great bass, great mid, and great highs. Sure sign of high quality sound equipment: I had to turn off my equalizer immediately because it made the sound so much worse.

Tears from the Max Payne 3 soundtrack was like reaching a higher level of conciousness.

Does anyone have any thoughts on burn in? Should just I leave them shuffling for 4-5 hours a day at a medium volume?

Only recently did I watch Steins;Gate... and now I finally know who your avatar is. Best redhead in an anime ever imo :D
Indeed. Makise Kurisu is truly the best. Now keep your filthy hands off my waifu dammit :l Can't wait for Robotics; Notes this fall. Actually I wish it was fall already. I wanna check out the AS2 and V Sonic's crazy planar magnetic IEM. Can't believe the leaps universals have made in a scant few years. Shit's come a long way since the Sony Ex70

My Rockbox'd Clip+ is starting to die on me. No sound on the left channel, I know it's easily fixable, but this would be the third time I do this. So, any recommendations on a good player? Portability is not an issue, I want to play FLACs, ALAC, MP3 and some WMAs I have. External storage is a must and Rockbox would be great as well, since I love its Parametric EQ.

I listen to Jazz, Classical, Indie, Pop, Electronic, etc. My headphones would be the Franken-Klipsch S4 and Audio Technica AD-900 (Main Headphones)

I'd use this guy just at home, I can still fix the Clip for going to the Uni. Thanks Audio-GAF.
I'd seriously check out the Cowon J3 for your needs

1stStrike

Banned
Indeed. Makise Kurisu is truly the best. Now keep your filthy hands off my waifu dammit :l Can't wait for Robotics; Notes this fall. Actually I wish it was fall already. I wanna check out the AS2 and V Sonic's crazy planar magnetic IEM. Can't believe the leaps universals have made in a scant few years. Shit's come a long way since the Sony Ex70

I'm looking forward to Robotics; Notes as well, although Chaos; Head was total crap so hopefully it's better than that.

And your waifu eh? We may have to duel to the death over this one :D

Oh, and I haven't heard of the magnetic IEM's. The phones from HiFiMan look really nice, though. You're more of a IEM guy, though, aren't you? I only own one pair of them and usually stick to the full sized vs the IEM's :)

I'm looking forward to Robotics; Notes as well, although Chaos; Head was total crap so hopefully it's better than that.

And your waifu eh? We may have to duel to the death over this one :D

Oh, and I haven't heard of the magnetic IEM's. The phones from HiFiMan look really nice, though. You're more of a IEM guy, though, aren't you? I only own one pair of them and usually stick to the full sized vs the IEM's :)

Chaos;Head was handled by an entirely different team than Steins;Gate though. I don't remember which team, S;G was handled by White Fox I think. And to quote Kenshiro: YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD lol

The V Sonic Focus 007 is the world's first planar magnetic IEM. Same tech that's in the LCD2/3. Shit kinda blows my mind. And yeah, I went IEMs over the years cause I'm mostly at work and hardly home, so it didn't make much sense to build a rig at home. After I stepped it up to customs, the desire for full sized phones pretty much evaporated completely. There isn't a thing that my SA5K does better than the ES5. Guys like Anaxilus and HeadphoneAddict have either owned it or heard it all: HD800, LCD2, T1, K1000, HE-5/6, Stax SR007, etc. and they still regard the ES5 very highly. (I think it's both of their respective favorite phones actually) Opinions like that are subjective yes, but they also help me save A LOT of time and money due to curiosity lol

1stStrike

Banned
Chaos;Head was handled by an entirely different team than Steins;Gate though. I don't remember which team, S;G was handled by White Fox I think. And to quote Kenshiro: YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD lol

The V Sonic Focus 007 is the world's first planar magnetic IEM. Same tech that's in the LCD2/3. Shit kinda blows my mind. And yeah, I went IEMs over the years cause I'm mostly at work and hardly home, so it didn't make much sense to build a rig at home. After I stepped it up to customs, the desire for full sized phones pretty much evaporated completely. There isn't a thing that my SA5K does better than the ES5. Guys like Anaxilus and HeadphoneAddict have either owned it or heard it all: HD800, LCD2, T1, K1000, HE-5/6, Stax SR007, etc. and they still regard the ES5 very highly. (I think it's both of their respective favorite phones actually) Opinions like that are subjective yes, but they also help me save A LOT of time and money due to curiosity lol

Ah, see, I'm the complete opposite - I work from home, so I'm home all day :D

Also, I suppose I could just change my avatar in spite :p

steinsgate-14-kurisu-helpful-smile-happy.jpg

Brian i thought i pushed you toward the krk last minute anyway

At the store I went to and listened to them, they only had the shures, the m50, and hd-380's in my price range. They didn't have the krk's, so since I didn't get to test them, I didn't order them when I got home. They also had them somewhat locked down, so that is why i wasn't able to move around much to get the idea that the shure,s weren't going to work around the house. They feel great when stationary, but moving around doesn't work in them.

Since I am going to return the shure,s because they are defective, if I decide to get something else, I guess it will be a blind buy.

flippedb

Banned
I'd seriously check out the Cowon J3 for your needs

Looks great, but I feel I'd be paying for things I don't really use (ie. Big touch screen). Also, does it have Parametric EQ? I can't find info on that.

Is there anything else? I think $150 is a fair price for a good player, but I'd like to pay only for the essentials.

pax217

PSY・S;39478017 said:
Any recommendations for cheap, decent quality portable speakers? The speakers on the Vita are way too quiet and I'd like to get some portable speakers for it so I don't have to mess around with my computer's speakers.

Easy. These are awesome:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10823&cs_id=1082301&p_id=8595&seq=1&format=2

This is the headphone thread. We don't really do speakers. If you want some earbuds or headphone recommendations we're happy to help, though.

There isn't necessarily another audio-related thread, and there are a handful of us who know more than headphones (for instance, I know speakers better than I do headphones, as do one or two other contributing members here) so we can keep it open.

jsrv

So, I bought an Audioengine D1, Sony MDR-Z1000 and an AKG Q701 from Amazon because I couldn't find any place to try them. Had the chance to listen to them for over two (..three?) weeks now, and can safely say that I'm probably not an audiophile.

Prior to those two headphones I've had a Koss KSC75 for years (like maybe 4 or 5 now) and thought that due to the immense price difference the difference in sound would also be similar, I don't really think that's the case. I could definitely hear some things I couldn't with the budget Koss at high enough volume settings, and there are some songs that did sound pretty different in comparison, but they are either far and few in between or I'd have to really look for them (Ie. listen to parts of a song, pause, change headphones quickly, rewind, play). The files I used to try them are 320kbps, FLAC (lossless) and v0.

I don't know, maybe I just set my expectations too high. ...Or maybe I'm doing something wrong. I did find out that closed headphones (Z1000) aren't really for me, so I had that returned earlier. Which is a shame because my S9 could drive that thing without any amp; amazing sensitivity (volume setting 19-24 was more than enough, any higher was deafening). The build quality on that thing was also amazing, I think the whole thing was magnesium. I'm still trying to decide whether the amp/dac + Q701 are worth the money.

LCfiner

The AKG phones you got are known for being a bit polarizing. They perform well with detail but they’re a bit bass lite and have a wide soundstage that can make some songs sound remote or slightly lifeless.

If you want something that might “wow” you, try out a Grado like the SR225. price is reasonable at 200 bucks and its amping requirements are low.

Researched all day and went ahead with the AGK K550s. Sucks not being able to try them on beforehand, but worst case scenario I can just send them right back. They should be here friday, can't wait!

Vmoda M80's. They're in your price range, they're closed but with a decent soundstage, and have some decent bass. They are portable cans though.

I'm going to try and see if anyone has a pair of these around me that I can try on and listen. These look nice, seem light enough to be used around the house, and many reviews say they are very durable. I also like that they are closed (and seemingly keep isolation well).

But, most of the stuff doesn't talk about the sound quality, except that the bass is pronounced, and I can't find any info on it on headroom, so I feel like my judgement isn't that great since i will probably have to buy these blind (deaf). The best detailed review here mentions that they are weak for guitars, which is a bummer considering I listen to mostly rock.

I'll keep looking, but thanks for a suggestion and pointing me in the direction of closed portables.

bedlamite

Researched all day and went ahead with the AGK K550s. Sucks not being able to try them on beforehand, but worst case scenario I can just send them right back. They should be here friday, can't wait!
Just demoed a pair 2 days back actually, did not like them at all. Tried them out of the headphone jack out of my Lumia 800 (these are supposed to run well on portables), as well as a desktop Beyer A1 amp, that was when shit got really disappointing. The 550's output sounds like it's coming from a pair of tin cans. This is coming from somebody who has a pair of q701s and bassy-as-shit TMA-1s and can appreciate the sound from both. The K550 is dead sexy but sadly the sound output doesn't match the look.

Just demoed a pair 2 days back actually, did not like them at all. Tried them out of the headphone jack out of my Lumia 800 (these are supposed to run well on portables), as well as a desktop Beyer A1 amp, that was when shit got really disappointing. The 550's output sounds like it's coming from a pair of tin cans. This is coming from somebody who has a pair of q701s and bassy-as-shit TMA-1s and can appreciate the sound from both. The K550 is dead sexy but sadly the sound output doesn't match the look.

I bought the AKG K550s last month. I like them. I needed closed cans, and wanted something else than Sennheisers for a chance. Many people claim that the bass takes some burn-in. I am not sure, I thought it was OK right out of the box. I've currently put in 50-60 hour or so. They may not be bass heavy, but when I listened to the new Squarepusher and the kicks at 0:13-0.14 of Unreal Square sound awesome. Not skull-crushing, but nicely controlled. Those "Powwwww" synths seem to dive into an endless abyss.

They are LARGE, though. The cushions are relatively soft and in some positions my ears touch the "membrane" covering the drivers. Feels a bit weird, but I don't have any issues with lack of sealing: pushing/twisting them doesn't seem to affect the sound.

Finally, I can wear these for HOURS. I'm living in a hotel for two weeks for work and I basically have them on nearly every night watching movies or listening to music. No problems with either the weight, clamping or sound fatigue.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I find for headphones you usually need at least a couple of hours, if not days, to get used to a new sound signature.

How is the isolation and leakage?
If your M50's are a 1 for leakage, the M80s are a 3. Once they're on your ears properly, anyone outside of a 5 yard radius won't hear anything (at a reasonable volume level). Isolation is great though.

It sacrifices some leakage to give a better soundstage.

jsrv

The AKG phones you got are known for being a bit polarizing. They perform well with detail but they’re a bit bass lite and have a wide soundstage that can make some songs sound remote or slightly lifeless.

If you want something that might “wow” you, try out a Grado like the SR225. price is reasonable at 200 bucks and its amping requirements are low.

Yeah, I should have done something like that from the start though I'm not even sure if I can still return the amp anymore. The difference in sound between the Z1k and Q701 isn't really enough for me to care, in the end it was just a difference in comfort for me. I keep reading how grados sound "out there" compared to other headphones so I could have probably appreciated the difference.

I'm really liking the comfort on the Q701 though, almost as nice as my old clip on KSC75s in that after several hours I sometimes forget I even have them on.

I don't know an awful lot about IEMs, but I got my Yamaha EPH-100 yesterday. Let them burn in for a bit (still a long way to go apparently ) and got one of my friends have a listen who knows a lot more about this sort of thing than me. He said he was going to buy some as soon as he could. He has some x10s (not sure what brand they are) and he feels these sound just almost as good at the moment. Given his cost twice what I paid, these are much better value according to him. On the build quality, the cable isn't great but everything else feels really solid. I think they sound pretty great eve now, but I was coming off of some really crappy ones. Very pleased with my purchase though.

edit: thanks HiResDes and everyone else for the help :)

HiResDes

I don't know an awful lot about IEMs, but I got my Yamaha EPH-100 yesterday. Let them burn in for a bit (still a long way to go apparently ) and got one of my friends have a listen who knows a lot more about this sort of thing than me. He said he was going to buy some as soon as he could. He has some x10s (not sure what brand they are) and he feels these sound just almost as good at the moment. Given his cost twice what I paid, these are much better value according to him. On the build quality, the cable isn't great but everything else feels really solid. I think they sound pretty great eve now, but I was coming off of some really crappy ones. Very pleased with my purchase though.

I read a bunch of reviews before and they all were extremely positive, it's not just you...Good choice

1stStrike

Banned
That's pretty much the worst part of this hobby: the waiting :/

Agreed. It's here, probably about 25 miles away from me, but since they're not delivering today I have to wait till tomorrow. Like most men, I'm all about instant gratification. :p

I've been working on figuring out what songs I want to run through them first. The flat's won't be here until Monday of next week, so I'll have to run them stock for a few days. Will at least give me a chance to see how much of a difference the flat's make in comparison to the stock ear pads, though.

Hey GAF. I love my ATH-M50 headphones at my desk at work. However, much of the time at my job I work on the floor under a smock. As a result I need something in the ear that is good quality (aka won't fall apart and sounds decent).

I would like to spend no more than 50 dollars. BUT, I would be willing to go a little higher. I am a quality/quantity buyer. Thanks for your recommendations!

Edit: Listening will be mostly podcasts and some rock/jazz.

Great thread, although it is not good for my wallet, this year I have already bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 and Klipsch Image S4 earphones. Only last week bought a Fiio E17 headphone amp/dac.

Mainly use my DT770 for gaming, very impressed by them. They are the most comfortable headphones I have worn. Have been using the DT770 and the Fiio E17 with my 360 and really improves the sound separation in games.

Igo

VSonic GR06 £40
Sunrise Xcape Impressive Edition £52
HifiMan RE-ZERO £70
HifiMan RE-0 £57
ATH-CKM500 £52-56

What would you guys reccomend?

I mostly listen to rock, folk, pop, funk, jazz, edm, hip-hop and occasionally some classical. That's kind of a wide spectrum so I guess it just comes down to instrument seperation and crisp clear vocals. I absolutely love the way female vocals sound on etymotic iem's, if that helps.

I'm looking at the GR06 because of the price and i've read they have good isolation, low microphonics, and are durable. I'm going to be wearing them while running so I need something that won't pick up every impact or constantly slip out. I don't mind spending more if the SQ really justifies the extra money.

HiResDes

VSonic GR06 £40
Sunrise Xcape Impressive Edition £52

What would you guys reccomend?

I mostly listen to rock, folk, pop, funk, jazz, edm, hip-hop and occasionally some classical. That's kind of a wide spectrum so I guess it just comes down to instrument seperation and crisp clear vocals. I absolutely love the way female vocals sound on etymotic iem's, if that helps.

I'm looking at the GR06 because of the price and i've read they have good isolation, low microphonics, and are durable. I'm going to be wearing them while running so I need something that won't pick up every impact or constantly slip out. I don't mind spending more if the SQ really justifies the extra money.
Okay I narrowed down your choices based on sound, durability and microphonics...Also if you wear either of those like this:

m6daL.jpg

...It will solve virtually of all of your problems

Hey GAF. I love my ATH-M50 headphones at my desk at work. However, much of the time at my job I work on the floor under a smock. As a result I need something in the ear that is good quality (aka won't fall apart and sounds decent).

I would like to spend no more than 50 dollars. BUT, I would be willing to go a little higher. I am a quality/quantity buyer. Thanks for your recommendations!

Edit: Listening will be mostly podcasts and some rock/jazz.

GR06

LCfiner

Anyone here have Grados (I have SR80i's) that had one of the ear pieces detach? Not sure what the best way to go about fixing it is.

If you mean the metal rod that connects to the plastic “C”, then crazy glue works but it won’t look pretty afterward (from pics I’ve seen of this operation)

if you mean that the plastic block fell off the metal strip in the headband, then you can just pop it back in with some glue and it’ll stay.

but you can also contact Grado too if it’s the first problem or if something else broke

1stStrike

Banned
Speaking of Grado's...

Just got mine in the mail!

They don't fuck around with the extras. You get the headphones, a piece of paper and that's it. No adapters or anything of the sort with these lol.

I'm breaking them in right now and so far I can definitely tell the difference in the mids and even the bass. It's not as powerful as the D7000's, of course, but it is quicker. When the Bass drops on some of my music, like Bassnectar - Lights it doesn't have the same impact, but everything else is more... vibrant. That's how I'd describe it.

Also, as I'd hoped, White Wall - The Guardian sounds fabulous in these.

The flat pads don't come in till next week, so I'll break these in over the next few days and provide a comparison after I'm able to get the flats on and put another week or so in with 'em.

Speakin
They don't fuck around with the extras. You get the headphones, a piece of paper and that's it. No adapters or anything of the sort with these lol.
That got me. I was expecting to hear about all this superfluous shit lol

Glad you got your new toy in, nothing like warming up a new pair of phones and going into critical listening mode

1stStrike

Banned
That got me. I was expecting to hear about all this superfluous shit lol

Glad you got your new toy in, nothing like warming up a new pair of phones and going into critical listening mode

Hah, yeah, I was expecting all kinds of extras or even a nice fancy box like my D7000's came in.

Nope! lol

I can tell so far that I'm not going to enjoy listening to electronic music in these, or bass heavy stuff like Banshee from the Gundam Unicorn OST. But, music that is heavier on guitars, pianos, general orchestral music, and especially vocals are going to be amazing.

I notice that I can hear more details in music too. There's one song I've listened too countless times and there's a pop in it 3/4 of the way through the song that I'd never heard before. :x

Top Bottom