• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

LCfiner

it’s about the same price (50 bucks cheaper) than the Fostex HP-P1, which does the same thing.

the main difference is that this V mode thing is iPhone 4/4S only due to the shape. the fostex amp/dac is carried separately (this seems like a big plus as you can use it with future iPods, iPads, etc).

then, of course, we have no idea how the v mode vamp actually sounds. the fostex has gotten good reviews for SQ. I have less confidence in Vmoda to match the SQ.

1stStrike

Banned
it’s about the same price (50 bucks cheaper) than the Fostex HP-P1, which does the same thing.

the main difference is that this V mode thing is iPhone 4/4S only due to the shape. the fostex amp/dac is carried separately (this seems like a big plus as you can use it with future iPods, iPads, etc).

then, of course, we have no idea how the v mode vamp actually sounds. the fostex has gotten good reviews for SQ. I have less confidence in Vmoda to match the SQ.

Yeah, if I'm going to spend that much money on a portable amp I want something that works with everything. I suppose if you're a hardcore iPhone enthusiast then this might appeal to you depending on the quality of the audio produced by it.

These things sure will make iPhones even more lucrative to steal anyway.

Edit: Speaking of DACS, what do you guys think of the Hi-Fi Man EF2A with my RS2i's and D7000's? I'm thinking I'd be better off getting a DAC than another soundcard, and this is about the same price as the ASUS Xonar I was looking at.

It's been over a year since I had em but might as well shoot em an email. Basically the metal rod is disconnected from the plastic earpiece, tried screwing it back and adding a layer of masking tape to the rod to make it fit better but that didn't work. If all else fails its super glue time.

1stStrike

Banned
After a couple days with my Grado RS2i's here's how things stand right now vs the Denon D7000's.

Comfort: This goes to Denon hands down. The Grado's aren't uncomfortable, but after longer periods of wearing them (a few hours) they do put pressure on my ears which doesn't happen with the Denon's. Also, the ear pads can get a bit itchy at times in the Grado's, while the Denon's have this nice plush feel. Don't get me wrong - the Grado's aren't uncomfortable, they just aren't as comfortable. They are much lighter than the Denon's, though, which is a positive. I was surprised at just how much lighter the Grado's are - no neck fatigue at all from these.

Sound: There's no clear winner here. I'm comparing a fabulous pair of headphones to another fabulous pair of headphones here, both in about the same price range, and one closed with one open. No songs sound bad in either pair, but there are definitely songs that sound better. The sound of the Grado's is exactly what I was looking for in my acoustic music, live recordings, orchestral pieces and songs which have a lot of female vocals. The Grado's really bring out the depth in these. Sound stage is good too - in most cases, better than the Denon's.

Cord Length: It's definitely a lot shorter than the Denon's and is just right imo. It makes these headphones so they're actually portable, while in comparison, the Denon's cord seems to have several feet that I just don't have a use for. So, the Grado's win in this department.

I'm still happy with my purchase on these and have been regularly swapping between my Grado's and Denon's depending on the type of music I'm listening to. Also, if the heavier Denon's begin to fatigue my neck then I can swap to the Grado's with ease.

Final Verdict: Depending on the type of music you listen to you can't really go wrong with the Grado's or the Denon's. Both are equally great, just at different things.

DAC stuff: I just need to come to a decision on which DAC I want now. I was looking at the O2/ODAC combo from JDLabs which seems like a good combo for the price. Anyone have any feedback on this and if it would be a good match for my headphones?

Was listening to my Senneihser 555s today and I noticed distortion during lows, mostly hiphop stuff.

I unplugged my headphones from my amp and directly into my ipod. Still distorted.
Wondering if it could just be the ipod, I hooked my 555s into my pc. Still distorted.

Pretty bummed. I have no know-how when it comes to fixing these sort of things and pretty upset that I won't be able to replace them for months. I've wanted to upgrade for a while but have been hesitant due to being completely broke for the past few months.

1stStrike

Banned
Was listening to my Senneihser 555s today and I noticed distortion during lows, mostly hiphop stuff.

I unplugged my headphones from my amp and directly into my ipod. Still distorted.
Wondering if it could just be the ipod, I hooked my 555s into my pc. Still distorted.

Pretty bummed. I have no know-how when it comes to fixing these sort of things and pretty upset that I won't be able to replace them for months. I've wanted to upgrade for a while but have been hesitant due to being completely broke for the past few months.

I have a pair of those which I haven't used in a while. They don't do bass well and will distort/rattle on songs with a lot of bass.

1stStrike

Banned
Thanks for the reply. Sorta kinda comforted, but its only in the left side. What would you recommend as a 555 upgrade?

For a bass heads, I'd usually recommend something like the Denon series (D2000, D5000, D7000) depending on budget, as they're top notch in that department and have no trouble with any hiphop, but I'm assuming you're going to be traveling with these and the cords are far too long to use them for anything but desktop headphones.

What's your budget for an upgrade? I'm sure we can find you something.

For a bass heads, I'd usually recommend something like the Denon series (D2000, D5000, D7000) depending on budget, as they're top notch in that department and have no trouble with any hiphop, but I'm assuming you're going to be traveling with these and the cords are far too long to use them for anything but desktop headphones.

What's your budget for an upgrade? I'm sure we can find you something.

Around $200. The bass on the 555s was my biggest complaint, but I loved the amount of clarity and detail, would be a little reluctant to sacrifice either for the sake of bass.

I do listen to a fair amount of hip hop but also listen to tons of punk/indie

so, guys, because of new glasses, have to change headphones. Was roking the ATH-FC700, but tried the creative $20 earbuds (iem's??) and i kinda liked them but the sound is kinda meh

any good sub 100 IEM's? i read about the JVC HA-FXT90 and was wondering how good are those.

thanks in advance :) you guys rocked my ears with the AT's you recommended

1stStrike

Banned
Around $200. The bass on the 555s was my biggest complaint, but I loved the amount of clarity and detail, would be a little reluctant to sacrifice either for the sake of bass.

I do listen to a fair amount of hip hop but also listen to tons of punk/indie

Here's a few recommendations. Do your own research on them and see which you like best. Can't really go wrong with any of these, though.

Ultrasone HFI-780

Shure SRH840

Sennheiser HD25-1 II

Echoes

Asking for a friend: is there a DAC/Amp that supports 7.1 & DTS? Mine is the NuForce Icon HDP but I'm pretty sure it doesn't do that.

He has the Astro amp but looking for a pumped up amp that's not just good enough. Any recommendations?

Haven't visited this thread in a while, but what the fuck is up with the TMA-1s? I would have thought their price would have gone down by now...

1stStrike

Banned
Got my flat ear pads for my Grado's today. They definitely make a noticeable difference in both bass quality and overall comfort. I wear glasses and the stock pads were pinching me a bit, but changing out to flat pads distributes the pressure to a wider area and thus increases comfort without pinching my ears against my glasses.

So, I'd say the rule of thumb for these is, if you wear glasses and/or want better bass, go for flat pads.

pax217

Haven't visited this thread in a while, but what the fuck is up with the TMA-1s? I would have thought their price would have gone down by now...

Headphone prices rarely drop.

The only reason they'd drop in price is if there were more headphones on-par with them in the market.

Got my flat ear pads for my Grado's today. They definitely make a noticeable difference in both bass quality and overall comfort. I wear glasses and the stock pads were pinching me a bit, but changing out to flat pads distributes the pressure to a wider area and thus increases comfort without pinching my ears against my glasses.

So, I'd say the rule of thumb for these is, if you wear glasses and/or want better bass, go for flat pads.

Got them on my "to buy" list for the 125's. Thanks.

viciousDC

Banned
Damn you are living the life, and you can eat prime rib whenever you want? Jeez

?

I'm a bit of an audiophile. The top prime rib joint in DC is off K street where all the high end lobbyists, non profits, contractors, and NGO's keep offices. I work... off K street. Not whenever I want but I eat out on works dime at least two days a week in the area.

?

I'm a bit of an audiophile. The top prime rib joint in DC is off K street where all the high end lobbyists, non profits, contractors, and NGO's keep offices. I work... off K street. Not whenever I want but I eat out on works dime at least two days a week in the area.

A guy gives you a compliment and you respond with a question mark, and a seemingly defensive explanation...?

You both sound like dicks.
jk :)

Listened to some classical music from Legend of the Galactic Heroes on my Beyerdynamic dt880s, damn so perfect. The tones are very accurate and sharp!

Phandy

Hello Headphone-GAF,
I've been doing a bit of looking around and thinking, and I was hoping some you guys might help.
I'm always the kind to really get some opinions before I drop money on something like this.

What I need, is basically over-ear, closed headphones. Price around £60/$100.
I will be using them for gaming/music so a good all rounder in terms of sound I guess.
And I will be wearing them for a long time, so comfort is quite important. I could be wearing them all day at my desk. Hence the over-ear aspect, on-ear headphones make my ears hurt after a while. I feel I have pretty normal sized ears though.
(also, I'm a sucker for a nice slick looking pair of headphones)

I've been looking at:

Any Senn 429/39/49 seem about right (WHY ARE THERE SO MANY)
(I tried a friends 555's and they were super comfy)
Koss proDJ100s
(got from OP, but I'm worried they wont be 'over-ear-enough')
Sony XB500s
Creative Aurana Lives
Shure SRH240s (these look pretty slick)

Edit- Also looked in Fisher Audio ones, they look great, and nice prices too.... out of stock :(.

Basically I was hoping someone might be able to say, "Those sucked" or "Those were really comfy", or make any other suggestions I might have missed.

Appreciate any help guys, Thanks.

Kukuk

Banned
As far as comfort goes, there's not a better headphone than the XB500/XB700's.

Personally I'd go for the XB700's, if you can find a pair within your budget (prices have been all over the place lately) since they have a larger soundstage than the XB500's, and that's definitely going to be better for games.

LCfiner

Hmm. weird. I thought the XB500 was awfully uncomfortable. clamped hard against the ears and since there’s no airflow with those oversized pads, it made the ears sweat after a few minutes. It also sounded like garbage.

I’d recommend literally anything else.

shira

As far as comfort goes, there's not a better headphone than the XB500/XB700's.

Personally I'd go for the XB700's, if you can find a pair within your budget (prices have been all over the place lately) since they have a larger soundstage than the XB500's, and that's definitely going to be better for games.

PX100's are super comfy.

Yeah the XB??? series is like ear muffs and they are heavy.

Kukuk

Banned
The XB500's aren't my favorite headphone ever, but I still think they are pretty good, especially for the $50 price range. Obviously the bass is the focus on them, but their mids and highs aren't terribly recessed.

And I don't know how your ears can get too sweaty, since they do have air vents, but I've heard the complain before. I personally never had a problem with it though.

Still, I really would recommend the XB700's over them. Ear pads are larger, so they are even more comfortable, and have a little bit of a spiked treble range, which gives them a little bit more energetic sound. And, again, the soundstage is much larger.

PX100's are super comfy.

Yeah the XB??? series is like ear muffs and they are heavy.

I never got the complaint about heavy headphones. Do some people just have super skinny necks that have trouble holding up their heads? Even orthodynamics like the HE-500's or LCD-2's I could see myself wearing for hours at a time.

shira

The XB500's aren't my favorite headphone ever, but I still think they are pretty good, especially for the $50 price range. Obviously the bass is the focus on them, but their mids and highs aren't terribly recessed.

And I don't know how your ears can get too sweaty, since they do have air vents, but I've heard the complain before. I personally never had a problem with it though.

Still, I really would recommend the XB700's over them. Ear pads are larger, so they are even more comfortable, and have a little bit of a spiked treble range, which gives them a little bit more energetic sound. And, again, the soundstage is much larger.

I never got the complaint about heavy headphones. Do some people just have super skinny necks that have trouble holding up their heads? Even orthodynamics like the HE-500's or LCD-2's I could see myself wearing for hours at a time.
Super dangerous to have heavy phones.

1stStrike

Banned

My Denon's are fairly heavy, a very noticeable difference between them and my Grado's, and they do give me some neck fatigue after a few hours of wearing them. I usually have to take them off a couple times a day if I'm wearing them at work and on my personal time for anime/movies/music and so on.

It's not a matter of having a weak neck, it's simply extra strain that you're placing on your neck over a long period of time. You may not always notice it, but if your neck ever feels stiff after wearing headphones, or you feel the need to crack it, then you've experienced it in some form.

Kukuk

Banned
Honestly, unless you're putting well over 8 hours, I just can't see how it would be an issue. When I had my Proline 750's, a fairly heavy headphone, I'd put easily 6 hours at a time on them, and never experienced any discomfort in my neck. The pressure on my ears becomes an issue loooong before any pressure on my neck does.

krioto

Ok head-phone GAF - please advise me.

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD380 pro's and have been very happy with them (i run them off a Sony A829 Walkman) and love the sound quality and noise cancelling ability.

I am looking for a new pair to use at home - where I don't have to be worried regarding other people hearing what I'm listening to (I'm a conscientious commuter!)

So, what are the best sounding headphones for around $500?

HiResDes

Hello Headphone-GAF,
I've been doing a bit of looking around and thinking, and I was hoping some you guys might help.
I'm always the kind to really get some opinions before I drop money on something like this.

What I need, is basically over-ear, closed headphones. Price around £60/$100.
I will be using them for gaming/music so a good all rounder in terms of sound I guess.
And I will be wearing them for a long time, so comfort is quite important. I could be wearing them all day at my desk. Hence the over-ear aspect, on-ear headphones make my ears hurt after a while. I feel I have pretty normal sized ears though.
(also, I'm a sucker for a nice slick looking pair of headphones)

I've been looking at:

Any Senn 429/39/49 seem about right (WHY ARE THERE SO MANY)
(I tried a friends 555's and they were super comfy)
Koss proDJ100s
(got from OP, but I'm worried they wont be 'over-ear-enough')
Sony XB500s
Creative Aurana Lives
Shure SRH240s (these look pretty slick)

Edit- Also looked in Fisher Audio ones, they look great, and nice prices too.... out of stock :(.

Basically I was hoping someone might be able to say, "Those sucked" or "Those were really comfy", or make any other suggestions I might have missed.

Appreciate any help guys, Thanks.
Not over ear enough, that's the silliest thing I've ever heard. The Koss are by far the best headphones you listed, though they require a bit of amping to reach their full potential.

Ok head-phone GAF - please advise me.

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD380 pro's and have been very happy with them (i run them off a Sony A829 Walkman) and love the sound quality and noise cancelling ability.

I am looking for a new pair to use at home - where I don't have to be worried regarding other people hearing what I'm listening to (I'm a conscientious commuter!)

So, what are the best sounding headphones for around $500?
Hifiman HE-400 are only $399

Thanks for the heads up- I'll make sure to get flat pads when I order my Grados.

Phandy

Not over ear enough, that's the silliest thing I've ever heard. The Koss are by far the best headphones you listed, though they require a bit of amping to reach their full potential.

I meant purely as a size thing. They appear round in shape and I read several people saying they pressed on their ears a bit. I could be wearing these for a long time is all, I'm just worried about getting anything that is uncomfy.

Also I won't be using an amp (I might get one in the future, but I can't afford one now). Is it likely to make a huge difference without using one?

pax217

I meant purely as a size thing. They appear round in shape and I read several people saying they pressed on their ears a bit. I could be wearing these for a long time is all, I'm just worried about getting anything that is uncomfy.

Also I won't be using an amp (I might get one in the future, but I can't afford one now). Is it likely to make a huge difference without using one?

When you say a "size" thing, do you mean you want them to be huge like the Beyer DTs?

TxdoHawk

I had a pair of Klipsch S4's. Loved them. Only IEM's I could deal with comfort-wise out of the ones I tried. They're now missing, I believe they fell out of my pocket and someone scooped them up. It has been awhile, though...has anything else come out in the budget IEM range that I should look at? Comfort is my main concern. Buying a pair and making them comfortable with foam tips is a no-go, I tried Comply and they need to be replaced way too fast (I blame my gross ear canals, they output metric tons of wax.)

Phandy

When you say a "size" thing, do you mean you want them to be huge like the Beyer DTs?

No I just want the 'cup' to be over my ear. I've tried on some over-ear closed headphones that can still sit on your ear a bit and I get the feeling they might start to hurt after a whole day of wearing them.

I think the best solution is for me to go somewhere and see If I can try any on.
Anyone know any good shops for headphones in London?

I had a pair of Klipsch S4's. Loved them. Only IEM's I could deal with comfort-wise out of the ones I tried. They're now missing, I believe they fell out of my pocket and someone scooped them up. It has been awhile, though...has anything else come out in the budget IEM range that I should look at? Comfort is my main concern. Buying a pair and making them comfortable with foam tips is a no-go, I tried Comply and they need to be replaced way too fast (I blame my gross ear canals, they output metric tons of wax.)

I'd definitely check out the V Sonic GR06. Or you can hear to headfi and check out Joker's huge 244 IEM comparison thread and look at listings in your price range

Is there a rough price ratio for amps to headphones? Like, if you buy 500 dollar headphones, you should be looking at 100 dollar amps, then 50 for $250 headphones? Or is that too difficult to do since portable amps are different than desktop amps?

LCfiner

Is there a rough price ratio for amps to headphones? Like, if you buy 500 dollar headphones, you should be looking at 100 dollar amps, then 50 for $250 headphones? Or is that too difficult to do since portable amps are different than desktop amps?

that's tough to day. the ratio probably inverses after you spend 1000 for a headphone, lol. 1K headphone "needs" a 3K amp, according to some people. (i don't agree, btw)

It also depends on the impedence of the headphone (600 ohm beyers need more of an amp than 32 ohm Grados, even if they're the same price) or if you're looking for preamp features, tubes, portability, built in DAC etc.

Top Bottom