• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

I wonder how these compare to their other flagship given their armature design. The MDR-EX1000 is pretty much loved by all.
The Ex1000 is a much more neutral sounding phone if the Ex600 is anything to go by. I think the XBA-4 sounds like it'd be a V-shaped phone going by reviews. A_recording over at Head-Fi did a really comprehensive review comparing both

choodi

Banned
Ok need some advice
  • Grado SR80i
  • Audio-Technica ATH-AD700
  • or something else?

I listen to a variety of music at home and while on public transport and would also be using them to watch TV shows and films on my tablet when travelling.

Main genres of music:
  • Metal (Death, Black, NWOBHM)
  • Rock
  • Some electronic

I don't know too much as, quite frankly, I just get confused when I look at all the details and lists in the OP.

Let me know if you need more info

TheExodu5

Banned
Grado SR80 are a no go on public transport since they're open.

AD700 are extremely bass lite (and also open), which on public transport is even worse since road noise cancels out a lot of bass, I feel.

You might want to look at the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Ultrasone HFI-580.

FoxSpirit

I'll have to reprimand anyone who recommends the M-50 without mentioning the totally agressive treble, it's ridiculous. -6dB to get the damn thing back into the mix and even then it sounds sharp. Boring mids.
Ultrasone, same thing, with better mids... and very cheap feeling plastics.

Get Shure SRH-840. Also a bit agressive but a far call from the M-50 or Ultrasones. They are a tad big and heavy but isolation is extreme, ideal for public transport. Some people reported they had to bend the headband a bit if you have a particularly large head.
Alternatively, Fostex T50RP. Haven't heard them myself but from all reports, a golden entry into Orthos, especially if you take a little time to mod them. Very easy.
Or how about Fischer Audio headphones? The FA-003 has excellent reviews and while isolation is not that strong, it's good enough and sound is fun without cutting or metallic highs.

HiResDes

You must be really sensitive to treble presence, I definitely didn't find the M50s to be very sibilant...The mids are there, but yeah not exactly mindblowing, so I kinda agree with that part.

FoxSpirit

You must be really sensitive to treble presence, I definitely didn't find the M50s to be very sibilant...The mids are there, but yeah not exactly mindblowing, so I kinda agree with that part.
I have extended hearing so I am more sensitive to treble presence. And the highs are really out of the mix, I have multiple headphones, I have a pretty HighEnd HiFi setup and nowhere else does stuff like cymbals just brutally cut through the mix. Plus even after hard EQing, the highs still don't sound natural.
Reminds be of my old amp paired with speakers that had pretty agressive aluminium domes. Actually, I think that is where I aquired my great senitivity, at first it was awesome, after a month I couldn't even listen to the setup for 10 minutes without my ears crying out.

Contrary to what you would expect, I find Grado headphones great, the treble doesn't bother my ears at all with them.

But yeah, I could make a big writeup about treble... like the DT880 has good treble but sounds so strained that after some time, it simply enervates me.

vitacola

Hey headphoneGAF,

I'm looking for nice pair of closed headphones. Most of the time I will use them for listening music or watching movies/shows on my laptop and maybe some gaming at home only. My budget: 50€ +/-10€.

Here are two I found on my research:
AKG K518 (my favourite at the moment)
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002F9MFTS/
English link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002F9MFTS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sony MDR-XB500 (I don't need the "extra bass")
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001UE6PDG/
English link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RB24S2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What do you think?
Are there any good alternatives?

Thank you in advance.

Hi CanGAF

Got a quick question and puzzlement. Currently, I am rocking the Superlux HD681 and find the sound excellent for the most part, but I need to upgrade in a couple areas. First and foremost, I would like a more comfortable set.

Secondly, while I love the sound of the HD681's, I feel that they lack just a hair in midrange. I would like the guitars and vocals a little more forward or even completely balanced frequency wise.

Being semi open is what I really want, because I don't want to give up any spatial orientation of instruments.

Lastly, I listen mostly to rock, all forms really. Occasionally I will do orchestral or rap.

You guys got any suggestions?

FoxSpirit

Hi CanGAF

Got a quick question and puzzlement. Currently, I am rocking the Superlux HD681 and find the sound excellent for the most part, but I need to upgrade in a couple areas. First and foremost, I would like a more comfortable set.

Secondly, while I love the sound of the HD681's, I feel that they lack just a hair in midrange. I would like the guitars and vocals a little more forward or even completely balanced frequency wise.

Being semi open is what I really want, because I don't want to give up any spatial orientation of instruments.

Lastly, I listen mostly to rock, all forms really. Occasionally I will do orchestral or rap.

You guys got any suggestions?
I find Grado pretty comfortable and sound wise they seem to be exactly what you want. If you are in the US, you also get them for a great price.

Aguirre

had my dt770 pro's for a while and they are simply fanastic. i've been wearing them for periods of 2-3 hours and they are so good. no ear ache, no sore ears, etc.

Chuckl3s

headphone gaf...am I making a good decision?

0Ivq1.png

I want this set up for my computer desk while I code and do random things. I listen to mainly rock. I heard good things about all three products and I was also considering changing the headphones to the Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

What do you guys think?

Chuckl3s

Portability isn't a concern, I picked that amp in mind. It does both if need be but I really just want something to place on my desk.

pax217

I would probably go with the FiiO combo then, but definitely consider the DJ100

Is it really going to be an improvement worth the $100 extra you're spending over a single E10?

I just wish the S6 had a better sound. They're great for exercise, but my monoprice iems have a better midrange and clearer highs.

I love my MonoPrice IEMs for running, but I wish they stayed in my ears a bit better-- T500's and all. I don't have the "Bass Enhanced" pair, though, which I know fit better... the ones I ended up with sounded terrible.

My life before and after GAF membership.

I've found the one's with the bass enhancement were pretty great. We're talking about the MP 8320, right? The ones that look like a hair dryer. The sound is good, especially for $8, and they're surprisingly durable.

pax217

I've found the one's with the bass enhancement were pretty great. We're talking about the MP 8320, right? The ones that look like a hair dryer. The sound is good, especially for $8, and they're surprisingly durable.

Yeah, the ones I ended up with had to have been duds. They were all treble and a little mid, there were no lows to be found. The other pair of "Hi-fi" IEMs (the non-bass enhanced) were/are excellent and I still use them on a regular basis.

I'd like to order another pair to give it another go 'round but I never think about it when making orders from them.

With the ongoing hot weather and my old A/C frequently on (i.e., loud), I can't tolerate it anymore and now am looking into a closed-back set of cans to act as my summer substitute to my otherwise excellent Grados.

Searched the thread, couldn't find any opinions on the ATH-A900X closed-back headphones. Read good things in this thread about the A900, which has been discontinued by Audio-Technica, but Amazon is selling both versions with prices within ~$30 of each other. Is the noise isolation decent? Any really bad downsides to either version? I don't have any strong preferences to any particular music genre.

They are supposedly sweat resistant as well and have a better cord.

got the sport fis yesterday. the wrap around thing takes some getting used to but overall these are stellar. i personally prefer the really thin, long buds. its like getting ear fucked and it feels weird as hell the first few times you put them on, but the sound is the best then and its creepily quiet with those on.

thanks for the recommendation dude. how do you clean the buds? daily alcohol swabbing? thats what i did with my last pair of earphones.

I don't know if this is ever mentioned in this thread, but in my experience on-ear headphones are better for glass-wearers than over-ear.

I switched from decent on-ear Grado's to a new over-ear set of headphones, and it's really messing with the temples of my glasses. Wish my Grado's still worked :-/

I don't know if this is ever mentioned in this thread, but in my experience on-ear headphones are better for glass-wearers than over-ear.

I switched from decent on-ear Grado's to a new over-ear set of headphones, and it's really messing with the temples of my glasses. Wish my Grado's still worked :-/

Its all about the amount of compression on the ears. My Fischer FA-006's don't clamp down that hard, and they're over-the ear. I know what you mean though. When I'm using my M80's (on-ear), I have to put the glasses arms above my ears, which makes me look a little (more) dorky. Thank god for contacts.

pax217

One of my cars has a wonderful sound system, while the other's is subpar, and in that car I actually wear SR80i's on longer trips along with sunglasses. They are a pretty thin frame but there doesn't seem to be a problem with the SR80's and sunglasses.

That said, I don't wear them all the time

I actually wear SR80i's on longer trips along with sunglasses...

Well, the SR80 sit ON your ear. The ear pads are flat, that's what I mean by on-ear. These are decent for glasses.

The type that is less suitable if you wear glasses is the type where the ear pads has rims, basically cups that go over your ear and sit on your skull. Chances are, they're press into the temples of your glasses, causing irritation.

But yeah, maybe it has to do with the particular shape of your glasses and the cups.

I find Grado pretty comfortable and sound wise they seem to be exactly what you want. If you are in the US, you also get them for a great price.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've never had an opportunity to try the Grado's on. I've heard that they can be uncomfortable for long periods though.

U can wear my Grados for hours without discomfort. Then again, I bent the headband back a little bit to fit my large head. Now they just barely cup my head, but they're very comfy.

chunk3rvd

I had some Sennheiser CX300 earbuds that packed in a few months ago that I've been meaning to replace but I've become reliant on the microphone and volume/skip controls on my iPhone headphones since I picked that up

I'm after a decent pair of in-ear buds ata reasonable price (sub £50) that have the same controls as the iPhone headphones. I've been looking at the Sennheiser ones again but the only thing putting me off is that the mic/controls on the wire look a lot chunkier than the Apple ones. Was hoping this would be a good place to get some suggestions so over to you GAF. Thanks in advance!

HiResDes

I had some Sennheiser CX300 earbuds that packed in a few months ago that I've been meaning to replace but I've become reliant on the microphone and volume/skip controls on my iPhone headphones since I picked that up

I'm after a decent pair of in-ear buds ata reasonable price (sub £50) that have the same controls as the iPhone headphones. I've been looking at the Sennheiser ones again but the only thing putting me off is that the mic/controls on the wire look a lot chunkier than the Apple ones. Was hoping this would be a good place to get some suggestions so over to you GAF. Thanks in advance!
MEElectronics N9P

choodi

Banned
Grado SR80 are a no go on public transport since they're open.

AD700 are extremely bass lite (and also open), which on public transport is even worse since road noise cancels out a lot of bass, I feel.

You might want to look at the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Ultrasone HFI-580.

Ok, so I was pretty much set on getting the Audio Technica ATH-M50s, but I just saw that JB HiFi (Australian electronics retailer) is having a 30% off all Sennheiser headphones sale for one night only this week.

Is there aset of Sennheisers which are equivalent to the M50s that anyone can recommend, or should I just stick with the M50s?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Fucking messed up my TMA-1s somehow, probably a drop. The left ear is rattling like the trunk on a hooptie.

I took it apart, and unsurprisingly its internal construction is so minimalist there isn't much to look for, in the vein of abnormalities.

Not sure whether I'll contact AIAIAI for a repair quote, or start shopping for a replacement. I have been wanting my own HD25-IIs for way too long....
Ok, so I was pretty much set on getting the Audio Technica ATH-M50s, but I just saw that JB HiFi (Australian electronics retailer) is having a 30% off all Sennheiser headphones sale for one night only this week.

Is there aset of Sennheisers which are equivalent to the M50s that anyone can recommend, or should I just stick with the M50s?

The HD25-II is better than the M50s at everything.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
And a fuckload more expensive too

M50 @ $120 typically
HD25II @ $199 typically

...I don't know if I'd call that a "fuckload"...and considering that getting the HD25s cured my "NeedNewHeadphonesAlways Disease", I'd highly recommend them to anyone who likes that sound profile.

If you're getting 30% off the $199, it seems like a hell of a deal.

choodi

Banned
M50 @ $120 typically
HD25II @ $199 typically

...I don't know if I'd call that a "fuckload"...and considering that getting the HD25s cured my "NeedNewHeadphonesAlways Disease", I'd highly recommend them to anyone who likes that sound profile.

If you're getting 30% off the $199, it seems like a hell of a deal.

You forgot the Australia-tax!!

Best prices I can find online here:
M50 @ $169
HD25II @ $399

Drame

How you doing headphone gaf!

I've been rocking Sennheiser HD595's for couple years and just couple days ago I started to wonder what I'll replace them with. They've been in good use and have got quite bit of wear because of it.

595's are no longer in production, I pressume. Is there anything in the current Senn's lineup which is the new 595? Or maybe another brand all together. My budget for the cans is at 150-200€.

vitacola

Hey headphoneGAF,

I'm looking for nice pair of closed headphones. Most of the time I will use them for listening music or watching movies/shows on my laptop and maybe some gaming at home only. My budget: 50€ +/-10€.

Here are two I found on my research:
AKG K518 (my favourite at the moment)
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002F9MFTS/
English link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002F9MFTS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sony MDR-XB500 (I don't need the "extra bass")
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001UE6PDG/
English link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RB24S2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What do you think?
Are there any good alternatives?

Thank you in advance.
Nobody? Maybe some nice Koss?

poweld

Anybody interested in a very lightly used pair of AKG K550 for $260, box and everything? Going to be moving soon and I'm realizing I have too much stuff :(

With the ongoing hot weather and my old A/C frequently on (i.e., loud), I can't tolerate it anymore and now am looking into a closed-back set of cans to act as my summer substitute to my otherwise excellent Grados.

Searched the thread, couldn't find any opinions on the ATH-A900X closed-back headphones. Read good things in this thread about the A900, which has been discontinued by Audio-Technica, but Amazon is selling both versions with prices within ~$30 of each other. Is the noise isolation decent? Any really bad downsides to either version? I don't have any strong preferences to any particular music genre.

I upgraded from the ATH700 to the ATH-900 (not the 900X) a while back. Noise isolation is decent, but not complete. There's no real downside, as ATs are decent all-rounders. I really enjoy listening to classical music with them but if you want pounding bass, I don't think ATH-900s are for you.

Disclaimer: I am in no way an audiophile and these are just my impressions with the 2 sets of cans I've owned, both ATs.

Top Bottom