• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

mhayze

Don't think I've seen this posted here, but Jude put up the "Head-Fi Summer 2012 Buying Guide" here. Interesting read for those who want to see what's out there and generally liked in each category. Only a few major omissions from what I saw.

Kukuk

Banned
Anyone here have the Sony MDR-ZX700's? I've been using them a bit lately, and for low-level listening I really like them, but for higher volume (not really all that high, mind you), I feel they are really, really sibilant. Anyone have a similar experience with them?

I know that this is an audiophile thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a Wireless Bluetooth Stereo headphone? I want a decent set to use at work since I have a tendency to just get up and start walking away from my desk while I have my headphones attached to my cell, and rather not drop my phone anymore than I already have.

Thinking of going from the ATH-50s to the DT 770 Pro-80s.

Should I expect a nice upgrade in comfort and audio quality? Wll mostly be used for gaming on the PC and wit my astro mix amp 5.8.

Just wanted to say that I'm very very satisfied and happy with Monster customer support. Two weeks ago, the Turbines that I've been using as my gym headphones broke; right earbud just stopped working, and I called customer support, and will be getting a new pair shortly because of their lifetime warranty.

If anyone is looking for a good/really good set of earbuds I highly recommend the turbines. I've had them for almost 2 years and find them to be very comfortable and overall able to produce awesome sound for any types of music.

Kukuk

Banned
Thinking of going from the ATH-50s to the DT 770 Pro-80s.

Should I expect a nice upgrade in comfort and audio quality? Wll mostly be used for gaming on the PC and wit my astro mix amp 5.8.

Absolutely. Comfort will be a huge upgrade, since the cups are bigger, and the pads are much softer.

Sound quality will also be a big upgrade, thanks to a better mid range and bigger soundstage. The better mid range might not make much of a difference for gaming, but for music it makes a huge difference.

FoxSpirit

I know that this is an audiophile thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a Wireless Bluetooth Stereo headphone? I want a decent set to use at work since I have a tendency to just get up and start walking away from my desk while I have my headphones attached to my cell, and rather not drop my phone anymore than I already have.
Why not get a Sansa Clip+ instead?? Super cheap, great quality and you can get regular headphones. The disadvantage with Bluetooth sets is that you pay a huge premium and they always underperform.
Oh yeah, and what's your budget?

Absolutely. Comfort will be a huge upgrade, since the cups are bigger, and the pads are much softer.

Sound quality will also be a big upgrade, thanks to a better mid range and bigger soundstage. The better mid range might not make much of a difference for gaming, but for music it makes a huge difference.

Got it. Will be nice to consolidate my ATH 50s and AD700s into one pair that meets them halfway. Will pick them up at Guitar Center tomorrow.

pax217

Did Sony discontinue the EX600's? I'm not seeing any price fluctuations in the market anymore, just fewer distributors with prices gradually increasing.

http://nuforce.com/hp/products/speaker-cube/index.php
Can anyone tell me anything about this that isn't on this page? I have a MonoPrice speaker that has the same features, but would love a high-end one.

Just wanted to say that I'm very very satisfied and happy with Monster customer support. Two weeks ago, the Turbines that I've been using as my gym headphones broke; right earbud just stopped working, and I called customer support, and will be getting a new pair shortly because of their lifetime warranty.

If anyone is looking for a good/really good set of earbuds I highly recommend the turbines. I've had them for almost 2 years and find them to be very comfortable and overall able to produce awesome sound for any types of music.

What else have you used that you could give us a comparison to? We're pretty quick to throw those out the window when people ask for headphones.

I've used plenty of Monster Cables in the past, only to find that they all performed the same or in some cases even a bit poorly than other options. With that in mind, and knowing their consumer base to be the same people that think their Bose speakers (that aren't 901s) sound amazing, I've always assumed they're just as bad.

(Disclaimer: I still use a Monster PowerCenter on my PC, it's great. I don't, however, use one on my home theater)

How much do you want to pay? If not a lot, here you are:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10823&cs_id=1082702&p_id=5926&seq=1&format=2
If more, I'm not much help. I still live in 1999 and think wireless connections are of the devil.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Had a chance to listen to the the AKG K550 recently.

The bass impact is not as good as the sennheisers HD25, but the bass extension extends a little further, it has a clearer sound and the soundstage is actually pretty damn good for a closed model. Feels like a small advantage over the HD25.

Is buying a $400 headphone responsible when my HD25s are working fine? :p

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Shipping will probably be too inconvenient as I'm from australia.

Mostly joking anyway. Despite my gear lust I'm going to save up for a ODAC/amp combo. :p

Picked these up at GuitarCenter for $179.

HOLY SHIT DO THESE SOUND GREAT! I did have to use my FiiO USB amp to get good volume from it, but worth every penny! AND SOOOO COMFORTABLE!!!

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone in here can point me in the right direction. I'm definitely not knowledgeable about headphones but I'm looking to replace my current ones.

I have an older pair of Sennheiser HD 570's that I received as a gift, which have served me well for a number of years (7-8). However now it seems the driver on the left has decided to give up and frequently has a buzzing noise when playing louder sounds.

I'd like to get a new pair without breaking the bank (really, $150 or less) but I'd like them to be as good as my current HD 570's were (or maybe even better if tech has advanced a lot in the last years).

I've heard good things about the ATH-A700 (http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?products_id=318) however my main concern is it seems may places local in my area do not offer demos and do not offer a return policy for headphones due to "hygienic reasons".

For me $150 is a lot of money especially for something I can't return, so I'm hoping someone who if I'm really lucky has some experience with the HD 570 or similar unit can make some comparable recommendations. While I will listen to some music with them, the primary purpose is PC gaming (though a built-in mic is certainly not a requirement).

HOLY SHIT DO THESE SOUND GREAT! I did have to use my FiiO USB amp to get good volume from it, but worth every penny! AND SOOOO COMFORTABLE!!!

I've read very good things about this as well and I'd even scrap together the extra money to get them over my budget, but everything seems to say they require a headphone amp? If that's correct (your post seems to say it as well) then I guess that would add too much to the sticker for me.

poweld

I'm glad you mentioned him. I kept forgetting who it was on GAF that made my amp D: Bad memory is bad.

@poweld: It's still going strong, by the way. This thing is built like a tank.

Glad to hear it! I've still got two of them - one for the office, one for home - both used everyday for years now and not a single issue here either.

@Antiwhippy: If you're interested in the K550s we should talk.

D

Get some Koss Pro DJ100, and then save the rest for a cheap dac/amp, I'm serious

...Trust me man

Okay that's an interesting choice, I'd never considered Koss before. I can actually get them at a place like Best Buy and thus return them if I don't like them.

For a "cheap dac/amp" is there a model in particular? Something like the FiiO E10? I also looked at the Astro Mixamp as well since it seemed to have some interesting gaming applications but not sure if it's as good.

Will it make a big difference in quality for the headphones? I have a set of Logitech Z5500 that do have a headphone jack on them if that eliminates the need for an extra headphone amp. I can't say I was ever super-impressed with the volume on it though, I'd frequently have to dial it up to 80% volume to get anything halfway decent from the HD 570's...

X-Frame

Yo Kev, have you ever tried the HD 280 Pro's and if so, how would you compare those to the 280's?

HiResDes

Okay that's an interesting choice, I'd never considered Koss before. I can actually get them at a place like Best Buy and thus return them if I don't like them.

For a "cheap dac/amp" is there a model in particular? Something like the FiiO E10? I also looked at the Astro Mixamp as well since it seemed to have some interesting gaming applications but not sure if it's as good.

Will it make a big difference in quality for the headphones? I have a set of Logitech Z5500 that do have a headphone jack on them if that eliminates the need for an extra headphone amp. I can't say I was ever super-impressed with the volume on it though, I'd frequently have to dial it up to 80% volume to get anything halfway decent from the HD 570's...

They sound good unamped, but the bass really comes out the more they are amped. They scale really well. They're like the Valve of headphones. Get them first and see how well you like them unamped.

They sound good unamped, but the bass really comes out the more they are amped. They scale really well. They're like the Valve of headphones. Get them first and see how well you like them unamped.
That's one hell of an endorsement. What kind of signature do those have? Too bass heavy?

Enjoy them! I have the 880s

attachment.php

Every tone is so sharp and I dont even use an amp yet.

Those MrSpeakers Mad Dog's got excellent reviews and I will admit that I am tempted. I'll be bookmarking their store at least.

In other news, I bought Fischer DBA-02's to replace my current busted portables. The current ones also hurt my ears if they're on too long, so it was a good excuse to switch. Hopefully, I've made a good choice here.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Don't think I've seen this posted here, but Jude put up the "Head-Fi Summer 2012 Buying Guide" here. Interesting read for those who want to see what's out there and generally liked in each category. Only a few major omissions from what I saw.

Wish we could get this sticky'd over on the gaming side as it's a good general reference!

CPS2

Sorry if this has been answered a million times, but can anyone recommend some good portable battery powered headphone amps?

accx

So i got my replacement CC51P from Meelectronics today. Only took 3 working days from the US to Europe, which i would consider fast!

When i first bought them about a year ago i reported that the left channel felt muffled but i never bothered exchanging them. Now that i'm trying the replacement (because they broke) it sounds like a whole different sound.
I might be imagining things since it's been a couple of weeks since i listened to my old ones, but i'm starting to think that my old ones were broken from the start.
The most noticable change is that i can't hear the same muffled sound in left channel (i can hear some but that's because i have worse hearing on left side), And the sub tones seems a lot deeper than before.

Thanks again for telling me to contact Meelectronics and thanks to Meelectronics for the fast replacement and excellent customer service!

Nightz

Anyone have recommendations for headphone stands? I want something to put on my desk to hold my Astro A40's. Do banana racks work as well as some people say?

I had asked earlier in the thread about the TMA-1 studios and was wondering if they're worth the markup or if I should stick with the regular, on the ear versions.

Any major differences between full-sized cups and the non-studio versions?

Thanks as it'll help me narrow down which version to get.

pax217

Regarding stands, watch out with anything that has a leather headband that's not reinforced. It'll begin to bend/crease wherever the band contacts the stand arm. This is a problem with all my Grados and my installed wall-arm-things

CPS2

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check em out. I was close to getting a total airhead or total bithead but i probably don't need to spend that much.

poweld

Anybody interested in a very lightly used pair of AKG K550 for $260, box and everything? Going to be moving soon and I'm realizing I have too much stuff :(
Reposting before I go through alternate channels. Hit me with a PM if you're interested.

Thanks!
D

andylsun

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone in here can point me in the right direction. I'm definitely not knowledgeable about headphones but I'm looking to replace my current ones.

I have an older pair of Sennheiser HD 570's that I received as a gift, which have served me well for a number of years (7-8). However now it seems the driver on the left has decided to give up and frequently has a buzzing noise when playing louder sounds.

Don't give up on your HD570's. My HD565's were doing the same thing (buzzing during loud passages of music). Turned out to be a build up of 'gunk' on the face of the driver. It was causing the driver to touch the plastic screen in front of it. Cleaned it off and they are back up and running. You may also need new pads after a few years. The driver wiring is very fragile so take it easy when you get the driver off the earcup.

Hope it's ok to post the link, but check out the pics I posted here - http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=327533

Irnbru

SWEET MOTHER OF LORD JESUS. I just got the fostex mad dogs.
THEY BLOW MY MIND.

They feel so comfortable, and the sound. Rich mids, no silibance, the bass, THE BASS. Its not that kind that overtakes, its just that lush, perfect bass.

Listening to crystallize by XX, the voices were close to my ears, while I could feel the bass away on the soundstage. They are 4x better then my TMA-1s, and 2x better then my triplefis. Just, so incredibly blown away right now.

choodi

Banned
So I ordered a set of ATH-M50s (turns out Amazon do deliver them to Australia, you just have to select the ones sold by Amazon Export Sales).

They should be here in a week or two.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to make recommendations for me. I really appreciate it.

I'll also be back to give my impressions once they arrive and I have a chance to pay around with them.

Hey all.

I know sometimes you have to really choose between either 'good' or 'cheap', but.. if I were looking for a decent set of headphones for general PC usage, around 20-30 bucks, would you have any recommendations?

I try to stay cheap because for some reason I go through them so fast, even though I try to take care of them. =/

Edit: Oh, also, hopefully something with a USB connector. The audio inputs on my PC are messed up and you really have to spend ages wiggling the plug around to get sound in both ears, and it's a bit annoying.

Top Bottom