• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

mr.rager

Hey guys I need some advice. I'm picking up a HD650 pretty soon and i'm looking for a desktop amp to power it. Any suggestions on a amp around the 200-250 mark? I'm thinking of picking up a little dot mark 3 since a lot of people say it does a great job of driving the 650s. Also do I need a DAC? From what I read on head-fi, a quality amp is a much bigger upgrade if you have an already decent DAC. I'm currently using a x-fi titanium fatal1ty and i'm not too sure about the DAC quality on it.

mr.rager

You want a tube amp?? For solid state, the propably best value product is the Objective O2 for $150.

I'm open to getting either a solid state or tube amp. I was actually looking at solid state amps and one of the most common suggestions was the little dot mark v and schiit bifrost. Both of these apparently get rid of the "veil" senn cans supposedly have. Anyone with either of these amps want to share their opinions on it? Thanks for the suggestion on the Objective 02, I will definitely read up on it.

I'm open to getting either a solid state or tube amp. I was actually looking at solid state amps and one of the most common suggestions was the little dot mark v and schiit bifrost. Both of these apparently get rid of the "veil" senn cans supposedly have. Anyone with either of these amps want to share their opinions on it? Thanks for the suggestion on the Objective 02, I will definitely read up on it.

I dunno, if you're looking at amps to lift veils, then maybe you ought to just consider a different set of cans entirely. The Fostex Mad Dogs cost less than the HD650 and are more well balanced and are better on a technical level

mr.rager

I dunno, if you're looking at amps to lift veils, then maybe you ought to just consider a different set of cans entirely. The Fostex Mad Dogs cost less than the HD650 and are more well balanced and are better on a technical level

Not really looking to lift the "veil". Personally, I love the way Sennheisers sound. Been reading a bit more and it definitely looks like i will be getting a mark v.

mil6es

i'm thinking of buying some Monster Turbines tomorrow, can anyone give me the low down on these to save me making a potential mistake??

Not really looking to lift the "veil". Personally, I love the way Sennheisers sound. Been reading a bit more and it definitely looks like i will be getting a mark v.
Well, if you know your sound sig then you're making the right choice.
i'm thinking of buying some Monster Turbines tomorrow, can anyone give me the low down on these to save me making a potential mistake??
Depending on how much you get them for, the turbines are a solid set of phones actually.

mil6es

funny story is my House of Marley: Redemption song headphones broke but they're insured in-store so I only have to put some cash on top (about £70) so I thought I might as well

mil6es

My old headphones were £70 but I'm gonna return them tomorrow and the monsters are £140 so I only have to pay the difference.

My old headphones were £70 but I'm gonna return them tomorrow and the monsters are £140 so I only have to pay the difference.
Christ... Wait, which model of the Turbines are we talking about? The regular turbines or the Copper/Gold/Miles Davis etc? There's some pretty big differences between the various models

Irnbru

I'm listening to the Fostex mas dogs, and sadly all I've got is an e10 to boost them and their a e6 on the road. But what an experience. I've never had such a powerful headphone. It brings out all the mids, highs, and bass so perfectly, without any overtaking the other. So you get a clean signal, but its so much fun to listen to. My tmas might have louder bass, but its more of a thud compared to the resounding bass that the mad dogs put out. The highs have the same definition of the triplefis but the soundstage give them such a more powerful feeling as well.

I'll put up direct impressions with songs when I'm back home with me e10. And the comfort is equally amazing with the leather band upgrade. Such a steal for the 200 I got them for, I feel like I robbed a bank.

just the standard turbines (gun metal) not the Pros or the special editions
Bah, I was afraid you'd say that. 70 GBP is more than what I'd personally pay for a pair of vanilla Turbines, and at 140 GBP; they are outrageously overpriced. There are better options at the 70 GBP price point if you're willing to look. I'd check out Joker's IEM comparison thread on Head-Fi if you're looking for options

LCfiner

You may want to consider the skullcandy aviators from that list. I think they sound pretty good, honestly. and I've heard lots of high end stuff.

But if you want to stick to IEMs, then nevermind. You can check out head-fi for impressions of the various Monster IEM models. I doubt many here have heard all the variations and can comment on them.

vertopci

Looking at getting some headphones for work and decided on the M50s.

Is the E11 worth it over the E5? Also looking for an MP3 player if anyone has any ideas. Was going to pick up the Cowon J3 but it seems its discontinued and I don't believe there's a replacement for it :(

HiResDes

I'm listening to the Fostex mas dogs, and sadly all I've got is an e10 to boost them and their a e6 on the road. But what an experience. I've never had such a powerful headphone. It brings out all the mids, highs, and bass so perfectly, without any overtaking the other. So you get a clean signal, but its so much fun to listen to. My tmas might have louder bass, but its more of a thud compared to the resounding bass that the mad dogs put out. The highs have the same definition of the triplefis but the soundstage give them such a more powerful feeling as well.

I'll put up direct impressions with songs when I'm back home with me e10. And the comfort is equally amazing with the leather band upgrade. Such a steal for the 200 I got them for, I feel like I robbed a bank.

People getting the headphones I want before me : (

...But look forward to the full impressions in all seriousness : )

Quick

Banned
I'm looking to get some bluetooth headphones. I guess the criteria is: affordable, great sound, USB-charged, long lasting battery. I don't exactly know where to start off. I will primarily use it on my iPod Touch to listen to music.

What say you, Headphone-GAF?

X-Frame

Are there any headphones that sound very similar and are in the same price range as the HD 280 Pro's?

I have them, and they sound amazing for the price but they just hurt my head and become uncomfortable after medium use.

For the record, I listen to 90% metal and rock genres.

LCfiner

NOW we are talking about an interesting comparison.
What gear will you hook them up to?

dac will be HRT MS2 and ODAC

amp will be burson soloist for the baseline with both headphones and then I'll be using the pico and ALO continental (just got this portable monster on Wednesday) to see how they drive the Mad Dogs in particular. I'm looking to beef up my work listening setup.

side note: The ALO continental holds its own against the Burson Soloist driving LCD3s! it's seriously impressive. it's a little more forward/strident with upper mids and little less punchy with bass but it's not something that's really noticeable when just listening casually. it's pretty nice and has me rethinking my desk setup.

Keldor

Picked up a set of D5000s but haven't used them much because I've been so into my Alessandro MS2s. From what I've heard, it is a nice contrast to the MS2. Music sounds smoother and the bass goes really deep.

Now I'm looking for a set of closed portable cans. My price range is around $200. There are so many to choose from that it's a little overwhelming. I mostly listen to heavy metal but will also be using them with my Vita. I'd like something that's a nice middle ground between the MS2 and D5000. Nice detail with decent bass that's fast enough to keep up with metal music. I've considered the TMA-1 but I haven't heard how they fare with metal. Ive also considered the HD-25 but man, those things are ugly. Of course sound is my first priority, and if those fit the bill, so be it. I've got a big head so clamping force could also be an issue. Then there's the Ultrasone 780, 580, and the Shure 840s. My head is spinning. Give me some guidance headphone Gaf.

LCfiner

I am putting some hope in the Mad Dog modified fostex t50rp as a closed, portable headphone. when I get them in, I'll give some impressions compared to other closed headphones I've heard.

but these are 250, not 200 (and they're not exactly small or fashionable, either)

if you want to get something with no fuss that's built to last, grab the sennheiser hd25 1-II.

Keldor

I am putting some hope in the Mad Dog modified fostex t50rp as a closed, portable headphone. when I get them in, I'll give some impressions compared to other closed headphones I've heard.

but these are 250, not 200 (and they're not exactly small or fashionable, either)

if you want to get something with no fuss that's built to last, grab the sennheiser hd25 1-II.
Thanks. I'll be looking forward to your impressions. I can probably stretch my budget a little if it's worth it.

Of these (Shure 840, TMA-1, Ultrasone 580/780, HD-25 II, M50, ATHESW9A, M80), which ones would fit best for metal?

pax217

amp will be burson soloist for the baseline with both headphones and then I'll be using the pico and ALO continental (just got this portable monster on Wednesday) to see how they drive the Mad Dogs in particular. I'm looking to beef up my work listening setup.

side note: The ALO continental holds its own against the Burson Soloist driving LCD3s! it's seriously impressive. it's a little more forward/strident with upper mids and little less punchy with bass but it's not something that's really noticeable when just listening casually. it's pretty nice and has me rethinking my desk setup.

I hate you.

LCfiner

Thanks. I'll be looking forward to your impressions. I can probably stretch my budget a little if it's worth it.

Of these (Shure 840, TMA-1, Ultrasone 580/780, HD-25 II, M50, ATHESW9A, M80), which ones would fit best for metal?

I have only heard the senns and the esw9 In that list. Esw9 is not great for fast paced rock or metal. It's very lush. The hd 25 is a better fit as its more lively and treble tilted. I can't comment on the others.

I hate you.

What can I say, I like trying out new equipment :)

I do make an effort to sell items I don't use after checking them out so nothing sits on a rack or in a closet if I'm not using it frequently. That would be a waste.

The M-80 is great for rock. The only thing negative about them is that the treble isn't as crisp as something like the HD 25 II. The treble is smooth, and less fatiguing. But if you want cans with a great mid-range, something the HD 25 lacks, the M-80 is great. Great for almost any genre.

bedlamite

You can rule the TMA-1s out, they've got a muddy sound signature that excels at electronic music but sucks for rock. I also own the HD-25 and M50, I'd go with the HD25 if you can afford it. It's more portable than the M50 and goes better with metal.

Esch

Banned
I just got the Koss ProDJ100's. Great sound overall. Any recommendations for an amp/maximizing my audio?

I was thinking of maybe copping a FiiO E7/E10, mostly listening to stuff on my laptop (games and music)

Irnbru

Oh man I wish I had that kind of gear to pair with my mad dogs, in a couple paychecks I will be picking up an O2, since I'll just be using the e10 as a dac.

People getting the headphones I want before me : (

...But look forward to the full impressions in all seriousness : )

Haha, I got them on your recommendation to earlier in this thread :) I've been looking for an outstanding pair on the cheaper side of things, was about to hit the HE-400s, but went with the Fostex's, couldn't be happier.

Side note: I enjoy the look of the Fostexs. They remind me of some old classic headphones, plus they are so comfortable its wonderful. As to the 250 remark, yeah, thats the usual price. I was able to get a pair that had a shiny mark on it for a huge discount which was awesome, can't even tell unless you look closely.

HiResDes

I just got the Koss ProDJ100's. Great sound overall. Any recommendations for an amp/maximizing my audio?

I was thinking of maybe copping a FiiO E7/E10, mostly listening to stuff on my laptop (games and music)

Fiio E10 would be a good choice, and if you find them a little bass light the M50 pads increase bass a bit, but the only downside is how hot they get after a while.

Esch

Banned
Fiio E10 would be a good choice, and if you find them a little bass light the M50 pads increase bass a bit, but the only downside is how hot they get after a while.
Thanks. I dont quite understand the difference between the E7 and E10, as theyre essentially priced the same, but I guess the reviews seem to be lauding the E10 more.

Should I wait for these things to "burn in" or cop the amp first?

I was able to scrape together some extra money and now I was seriously looking at the DT770... but does Guitar Center no longer carry them? It doesn't appear on their page any longer and says it may be either out of stock or no longer carried... but why would they delete the product page if it was just out of stock? :(

I was hoping to get a local place to pricematch their $179...

EDIT -HiResDes I know you told me get the Koss and spend the rest of the money on a amp/dac but on top of getting a bit of extra coin I stumbled upon a Fiio E10 2nd hand in perfect shape for very cheap... so I could squeeze it in, so now I figure I'm gonna push my luck the whole way and try for a pricematch on those DT770. So I did take at least 50% of your advice ;)

HiResDes

Thanks. I dont quite understand the difference between the E7 and E10, as theyre essentially priced the same, but I guess the reviews seem to be lauding the E10 more.

Burn in happens in all in your head, but yes give them some time. The E7 is an older model, more portable, but less powerful.

LCfiner

The E7 has a battery and can be used as an amp for a portable player or an amp/dac unit for a computer.

The e10 cannot be used with portable players and has no battery. It is only meant for use with computers. It is also a bit better sounding than the e7

Necrovex

I am going out of town on Wednesday (I'll be in a car for eleven hours), and I need a new pair of portable headphones ASAP (so, please limit the headset to Amazon).The primary usage of this headsets will be for my MP3, Vita, and 3DS. I am seeking something very durable and will bring the most bang out of my buck. My price range is around $50-$60, though I would prefer something cheaper if at all possible.

CPS2

Tested out the FiiO E6 today, it's nice! :D

I should've bought something like this ages ago, spent all this time messing around with my phone's service mode to try and make it louder and getting nowhere. Now it's all good.

Ordered some Mad Dogs. I'll put up my impressions compared to the HD650, K702, and D2000 when they come in. Some of those might end being for sale if I like the mad dogs enough, there isn't much reason for me to have this many headphones.

Esch

Banned
Burn in happens in all in your head, but yes give them some time. The E7 is an older model, more portable, but less powerful.

The E7 has a battery and can be used as an amp for a portable player or an amp/dac unit for a computer.

The e10 cannot be used with portable players and has no battery. It is only meant for use with computers. It is also a bit better sounding than the e7
Thanks yall

Krabardaf

Went from a bit disapointing Beyerdynamic DTX101iE to Vsonic GR02, and I am in awe.
Fantastic earphone, probably the best I've ever had. (And I've had a few, I change once a year because they all broke after some time...)
Very surprised, and pleased by the acoustic isolation, I can't hear me walking, which is really strange. And the basses are huge! Never had earphone that delivered so much on this point.

Overall the sound is a little less pure, clearly there is more bass, but that doesn't mean the mediums and highs aren't correct. They're perfectly fine, and theses earphones won't saturate, even at high volumes.

Quality seems very decent, they look solid, and the wire is absolutely frictionless. Tons of spare tips(but only one biflange, which is by far the best), and a little bag.

I am truly impressed, they are more than twice cheaper than the Beyerdynamic, and to me, they're undoubtedly better all around.

If it wasn't for this thread, I would probably never had heard about them, so thanks OP!

FoxSpirit

Bah, I need a better portable than the Clip+. Too congested. The much lauded E11 only adds to that. Plus maybe I need to burn in my MC2 more, I swear the old demo-models I heard had much better seperation of music layers.
I'll propably make a pouch for an ODAC+O2 combo, casette walkman style but how to feed it? :-(

Top Bottom