• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good portable amp? The idea of that Vamp Verza being connected to my phone via a case sounds nice but is it worth the money?

andylsun

My sennheiser family.

Started out with the HD-480 back in the 80's (poss early 90's they are made in Germany), then upgraded to HD-560. Used those for at least 15 years until the foam and cable started to wear out. Got the HD-555's after that and modded them to sound like the HD-595. Last year I placed an order for new pads and headband foam on the HD-560's that brought them back to new condition - hence the overlap. The 555's come to work with me every day, and the 560's stay home.

PX200's are for portable listening, along with the CX300-II that I got for $20 on Black Friday (from an authorised dealer). Never got on with IEM's before, but wanted to try them. Not bad, and that will probably be my last upgrade to a pair of IE8's

The PX200's will be moved to gym duty, with the HD25 taking the traveling duties.

VK4fv91l.jpg

XxGs9nCl.jpg

hodgy100

so GAF. my earphones have given in and no that I have money I'm willing to spend a bit more than i usually do ( upto £100 instead of the usual £15 earphones) and get some decent headphones. Ive seen this on amazon and it seems to be the kind of thing im looking for as it can double as a headset, also replacing my now broken turtlebeach headset :(

Just wandering what you guys thought or if you have any other suggestions?

Sethos

Banned
Can anyone recommend me some decent replacement cable for the HD650s? This is my THIRD 'standard' pair that is starting to die on me and it's just annoying now. I'm in Europe, so I'd like to avoid ordering from outside of the EU.

Jarmel

Banned
Anyone have HD800s? I'm thinking about getting repairs on mine and wondering if anyone had any experience with the process?

Jarmel

Banned
All parts should be orderable directly from sennheiser - what's wrong with yours?

Pads are kinda worn down. They obviously would have to be replaced by Senn directly. Also the band keeps falling off so I have to keep snapping it back on, once a month roughly.

Joe

i think i did some damage to my M50's.

i had them plugged into my iPhone 3GS and for some reason on the iPhone they get INSANELY loud, like completely unbearable. i had them on the table and cranked it up to 100% for about 10-15 seconds to see how loud they are off of the head.

they just sound different now. the best way i can explain it is that it feels like the audio equivalent of a little vaseline on a camera lens. it just doesn't seem right, while my other cheapy headphones sound as they always did to me.

do you think it's possible the phone was able to do any damage?

i know it's possible my brain is just messing with me or maybe my hearing is getting worse but something just does not seem right.

e: the more i listen the more i think something is wrong.

Got it back from AT's service department today, this is the note it came attached with:

COULD NOT DUPLICATE PROBLEM

TESTED IN ANECHOIC CHAMBER

TESTED TO SPECIFICATIONS

....and now i just feel like a crazy person.

I'm looking for headphones on a budget. I'm going to spend $30 so it probably won't be an amazing set of headphones for the price. Just looking for something to replace this $5 earbuds I've had for a while since they're starting to die out on me.

I've been looking at the HD201 and the Monoprice 8323. Then I saw the HD428 on sale for $30. Are the 428's worth spending $30? I see they're usually around $100.

HiResDes

I'm looking for headphones on a budget. I'm going to spend $30 so it probably won't be an amazing set of headphones for the price. Just looking for something to replace this $5 earbuds I've had for a while since they're starting to die out on me.

I've been looking at the HD201 and the Monoprice 8323. Then I saw the HD428 on sale for $30. Are the 428's worth spending $30? I see they're usually around $100.

Naw I'd recommend the JVC HA-S400, M30, and if you can handle open the Portapro's over all of those.

Can anyone recommend me a good pair of affordable headphones to watch TV shows with?
I have a hard time understanding what is happening on Game of Thrones with the TV speakers.

pax217

Can anyone recommend me a good pair of affordable headphones to watch TV shows with?
I have a hard time understanding what is happening on Game of Thrones with the TV speakers.

Price range?

The 8323's carry a sound signature similar to that of Beats. I don't think it's a good thing, but they're certainly a good substitute for them if that's what you're looking for.

I like the Koss PortaPro's at $30-40, depending on where you get them. Those are open, though, and they aluminum headband can be uncomfortable if you've got a big head like myself.

I saw Des recommended the HA-S400's; I haven't heard them, but they are popular.

Recently ordered a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A700X Headphones via Amazon but haven't done enough research (I know I know) to see if these headphones are good for the money despite the praised reviews. I recently saw the non X version, ATH-700 for a bit less and hearing that it is also great.

Should I end up returning the pair I bought for the non x version? Or should I stick to what I bought?

I also have a FiiO E07K Portable Amp for better performance if that helps with this decision.

Thank you.

Aadil

Banned
Know its kind of late but finally got my TMA-1's, crisp sound quality, really good on the bass..a bit bigger than I expected so cant use them out and about, and the treble isnt so great at times.

But ive been listening to mainly flacs on them...first tune I listened to was a mp3 on soundcloud and i heard things that I never heard before...

Anybody got some suggestions for something I can get next that is a bit more of daily use like I can use when riding my bike or at the gym,

Also, seeing as the X3 is out and I hate apple...any suggestions for an Mp3 player, that could also play other files like .wav and .flac?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright guys, last I was in here I was recommended the V-MODA Crossfade M-80's for awesome headphones. I have a trip coming up and am getting close to ordering some headphones for it. The two downsides to the M-80s seem to be comfort (because they are on-ear) and leakage.

Are the Crossfade LP2's (over-ear) just as good? I think they would be more comfortable and have less leakage with an over-ear design.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HMBQR2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any other brands/sets I should look at for under $200? (Under $150 preferably).

HiResDes

Yes, I sat down the LP2's and while the aesthetics and comfort are great you are basically getting Beats Pro. I also preferred the Logitech UE6000 and even the Skullcandy Aviators over the LP2.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yes, I sat down the LP2's and while the aesthetics and comfort are great you are basically getting Beats Pro. I also preferred the Logitech UE6000 and even the Skullcandy Aviators over the LP2.

Alright, so if I decide on-ear the M-80's are my best bet for sub $200, but if I decide over-ear the MS400's are the way to go.

Decisions.

Newegg - Klipsch S4i for $69.99 - $34 (coupon expires 4/24) = $35.99

Pretty good deal for the S4i. I know we're in the Soundmagic E10/E30, Vsonic GR-02 camp nowadays, but the S4i's are an absolute steal at that price range for a set with iPhone/iPod controls (usually MSRP fluctuates between $59.99-$99.99). I imagine this is a result of the flat cable IIs being released.

Oh, damn, even better.

Amazon - Logitech UE500 for $24.95

Honestly, I have seen the monster iSpot headphone outperform in almost all areas compared to the Klipsch S4i, and I own both, and have done extensive testing. I prefer bassy, with attention to the highs and unmuffled mids. The iSports are perfect for that, and at $30 every once in awhile on Slickdeals, its hard not to pass up.

Talon

Honestly, I have seen the monster iSpot headphone outperform in almost all areas compared to the Klipsch S4i, and I own both, and have done extensive testing. I prefer bassy, with attention to the highs and unmuffled mids. The iSports are perfect for that, and at $30 every once in awhile on Slickdeals, its hard not to pass up.
I wouldn't run or workout with S4i's though. They're pretty perfect as commuting (for us public transit users) and desk use. Nice thing is that the heads are pretty small.

Haven't heard about the Monster iSports at all, either from this thread or headfi, so I really can't say. Judging by the HeadFi threads, they're workout buds?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
To follow up the "what headphones should I buy" question, is an amp necessary? What benefits does it provide?

EDIT: Damn, just saw the V-MODA M-100's that are over-ear and rated better than the M-80 on-ears. $300 though.... Ugh.

I wouldn't run or workout with S4i's though. They're pretty perfect as commuting (for us public transit users) and desk use. Nice thing is that the heads are pretty small.

Haven't heard about the Monster iSports at all, either from this thread or headfi, so I really can't say. Judging by the HeadFi threads, they're workout buds?

Yes, that's how they're marketed, but the drivers are really great, and you can just take off the inner-ear fitting clip for a more comfortable fit when at your desk (I do), and with a headphone amp they really pump.

To follow up the "what headphones should I buy" question, is an amp necessary? What benefits does it provide?

EDIT: Damn, just saw the V-MODA M-100's that are over-ear and rated better than the M-80 on-ears. $300 though.... Ugh.

I say it is a must if you like bass, or if your headphones don't have enough output with your mp3 device of choice.

I just got a $20 Fiio one and it rocks. There are more expensive ones out there, but this does the job for me and is the right size.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I say it is a must if you like bass, or if your headphones don't have enough output with your mp3 device of choice.

I just got a $20 Fiios one and it rocks. There are more expensive ones out there, but this does the job for me and is the right size.

Interesting. Was thinking of adding one to my headphone purchase.

Now to decide if I can swing $300 for the M-100's or if I need to try one of the other sub $200 suggestions...

Interesting. Was thinking of adding one to my headphone purchase.

Now to decide if I can swing $300 for the M-100's or if I need to try one of the other sub $200 suggestions...

I own the Fiio E5, and I love it, you can get the E6 for $10 more.

I considered the M-100, but I am now looking at the Audio Technica ATH-A900X and the ATH-WS99 Solid Bass. They are similar prices (~$150-180ish), and have large 53mm drivers with a propensity for bass and great reviews.

Impression on the new ATH-WS99 Solid Bass from head-fi (these headphones were just released early this year)

Hi guys (newbie first post) - can't help but giving 2nd opinion about ath-ws99's signature. Today had a chance trying it for half an hour (I know it's brief) but in this half an hour I can confirm I am already in love for it's the FASTEST bass headphone I've ever heard. (I own 10+, ws99's bass is faster than all of the following (subjective) aiaiai tma-1, ath-m50, DT990, V-moda crossfade LP, Harmon kardon BT, image x10, shure se215, Sony field monitor, t50p, DT880, ue700...) in short I just want to say the bass on ws99 may not be the biggest nor deepest but its just SO FAST, you will notice its speed at very first listen, definitely worth an audition, and importantly it doesn't seem to suffer v-shape sound like DT990, meaning the bass compliment mid and high quite well, I am yet to see the frequency response to confirm my suspicion of a quite flat line. - I think its worth the $300 tag because its really a different signature, ESP if you like bass music, this is like an speedy amp+headphone experience. For once the marketing material seem to match the product .... Something like mounting driver closely to the precisely cut aluminum chassis, shallow distance between driver to ear give sense of speed, and that speed is great fun.

Ferr986

I was deadset on getting the ATH-M50 but now I am second guessing myself and want to get the ATH-A900X instead.

Didnt hear the A900X myself but as far as I know they are better in almost everything (mids, highs, soundstage) except bass quantity.

They're a little pricey than the M50 though.

Top Bottom