• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

I'm going to be selling my AD700 headphones real soon to help pay for a 3DS if anyone is interested. I would sell them to a US GAFer for $70 shipped. Good condition, original owner from Amazon, box included. I can post a pic if anyone is interested.

I never use them anymore since I have my M50 and HE400.

mr stroke

Got these yesterday

ATH-M50

Sound great so far. Lots of clean bass(though not as good or loud as my Denons) and really comfortable. Only complaint is the cheap feeling plastic, they look great but I don't know how they will hold up over the years. Amazing sound for the money($119)

LCfiner

Coincidentally, I heard the M50 for the first time today. friend bought one. definitely a V-shaped FR but it's fun and the subbass is solid. There's some glare in the high mids and the treble isn't super smooth but it's still a good sub-$200 closed can.

Talon

...that moment when you remember your right ear canal is shaped differently then your left one, so you need to use the triple flange for it with IEMs.

rinse82

Looking to replace my s4i's, damn cord is tearing. Great sounding headphones, but not too durable.

Anyone have experience with the Marley Zion's?

I'm looking specifically for in-ear, and these ones seem to get good reviews.

xlarge.jpg

Ha! Beets

http://gizmodo.com/5994271/beets-parody-headphones-are-actually-not-a-prank

lolmark

I have the Shure SE215-K's but after several months of regular usage, the audio on the right ear cuts out. Anyway to fix this problem?

...that moment when you remember your right ear canal is shaped differently then your left one, so you need to use the triple flange for it with IEMs.

Ugh, I'm more of the 'my ear canals are small side but even a small flange can get stuck though medium is too big' person. Usually it's my right ear canal that has had flanges stuck once in a while but anything bigger is just not comfortable at all.

One of these days I should look into custom tips. -_-

Talon

Ugh, I'm more of the 'my ear canals are small side but even a small flange can get stuck though medium is too big' person. Usually it's my right ear canal that has had flanges stuck once in a while but anything bigger is just not comfortable at all.

One of these days I should look into custom tips. -_-
Have you tried the Comply Foam Tips? The small ones might do the trick for you.

Man, I see those pictures of the DIY at home silicone customs on Headfi and start laughing. Looks like a bizarre growth out of their ears.

Have you tried the Comply Foam Tips? The small ones might do the trick for you.

Man, I see those pictures of the DIY at home silicone customs on Headfi and start laughing. Looks like a bizarre growth out of their ears.

I need to order some because I swear I hate my canals sometimes but it's usually not the end of the world.

Well, once the refund comes in, time to buy a new portable amp and some tips. Probably some new iems too.

pax217

I got a new job, hence why I haven't been here-- going to begin attempts at making LC jealous for the months of his "Eh, these LCD2's are OK, I think I'll just sell them and buy something else"... the only question is, how?

LCfiner

I got a new job, hence why I haven't been here-- going to begin attempts at making LC jealous for the months of his "Eh, these LCD2's are OK, I think I'll just sell them and buy something else"... the only question is, how?

At this point, unless you go for broke and get a Stax SR009 and a BHSE, I've "been there and done that." :p Your best bet is just getting something you're super happy with :)

A more useful piece of info for anyone browsing this thread. The Sony MDR EX600 are excellent IEMs for $150 or so. They are a little harsh with some high frequencies but not by much and their bass is solid, nicely impactful and well extended. good wide soundstage and involving mids. I recommend them for anyone considering an IEM in this price range.

jacobs34

Hello thread. I've had the AT AD 700's for a couple of years now and I'm looking to upgrade to something a bit more powerful on a budget of around $500. My musical taste span the spectrum, everything from the Beatles to Daft Punk. I wouldn't be against buying a DAC/AMP combo, but I'd like to stay close to the budget. Any suggestions?

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't care what anyone says, the AKG K702 still sound friggin' fantastic unamped. Listening to Rush - La Villa Strangiato right now and it sounds sublime.

Kukuk

Banned
I don't care what anyone says, the AKG K702 still sound friggin' fantastic unamped. Listening to Rush - La Villa Strangiato right now and it sounds sublime.

I know, right? I even thought the much higher impedance K601s sounded great unamped.

I hear a lot of weird headphone claims that I just don't get. Another one I hear a lot is that the Fostex T50RPs aren't worth owning if they are unmodded.

coldfoot

Banned
How are steelseries V2's? I am the kind of guy who was happy with the Fatal1ty hs-980 until it broke so not a high end audiophile here.

TheExodu5

Banned
I thought the Steelseries V2 were pretty abysmal considering the price. I returned them promptly.

For the money, I've been most happy with cheaper Plantronis sets as far as gaming headphones, to be honest. Their quality varies pretty greatly from year to year though...not sure how their current models are faring. My last pair of $30 Plantronics had better tone and soundstaging than the Steelseries V2, at 1/3 the price.

Right now I use the Sennheiser PC360 for PC usage, but I hesitate to say that they're worth their asking price.

For the price of the Steelseries V2, you could consider the Senheiser HD558 or Audio Technica AD700. Just add on a $5 Zalman clip on mic. The mic quality won't be nearly as good as a boom, but it's not terrible.

coldfoot

Banned
I thought the Steelseries V2 were pretty abysmal considering the price. I returned them promptly.

For the money, I've been most happy with cheaper Plantronis sets as far as gaming headphones, to be honest. Their quality varies pretty greatly from year to year though...not sure how their current models are faring. My last pair of $30 Plantronics had better tone and soundstaging than the Steelseries V2, at 1/3 the price.

Right now I use the Sennheiser PC360 for PC usage, but I hesitate to say that they're worth their asking price.

For the price of the Steelseries V2, you could consider the Senheiser HD558 or Audio Technica AD700. Just add on a $5 Zalman clip on mic. The mic quality won't be nearly as good as a boom, but it's not terrible.

I will not use a clip on mic under any circumstances, so I just ordered the Plantronics 380. Hopefully it's good.

TheExodu5

Banned
That one SEnnheiser headset is godlike, but it's probably out of your budget range.

It's really good, but it's horribly overpriced. Sound-wise, it's pretty equivalent to the HD558, yet it's double the price. The mic on mine died, sadly. Headsets are just too fragile...I've resigned to never buy an expensive one again.

And back to listening to the AKG K702...Holy shit Massive Attack - Paradise Circus sounds godlike on these. I guess I should start listenign to Massive Attack now.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I just got pairs of:

Soundmagic E-30's - $40
Brainwavez M5's - $40
Monoprice 108320 - $12

And straight out of the box the Monoprices are beating the other two, which some of the highest rated sub-50 dollar earphones. I need to break them in but here are my very first impressions of some cheaper IEM's...

Soundmagic E-30's: Very clear and detailed. Not a ton of bass but the bass that is there is very distinct and controlled sounding, which makes you forget the slight lack of bass after about 3 seconds. The upper mids/lower highs region can get very slightly harsh on some songs, I'm thinking this might smooth out after they're worn in. Imaging is realllly good, easily the best imaging of the bunch. Really balanced overall. Also the most comfortable of the group.

Brainwavz M5: Mids sound good, there's no harshness, although they're kind of scooped in the lower mids for that V shape everyone loves. Upper mids seem to be boosted. There seems to be some roll-off in the highs, not annoying but it makes them sound slightly boxy when combined with the low end. The lows are really strong but uncontrolled. Pretty flabby and not at all tight like the E-30's. The subs are rolled off, and that combined with a flabby upper bass region and scooped lower mids makes the low end just sound weird. Comfort is average on these. They isolate better than the other two.

Monoprice 108320: The mids are very, very good. Smooth like butter. Highs sound good too, maybe the slightest bit of roll-off at the extreme top end. Whereas the M5's had major issues in the upper bass region (like around 150hz), these have some issues a little lower in the bass region (like 60-100hz I'm gonna estimate). That region is a little too prominent and not tight enough. That's my only real gripe with the sound. Overall these are fucking AMAZING for 12 dollars, and without having been broken in, the best sounding of the group overall. Not that comfortable, I don't know if they'd work for really super long flights. An hour bus ride would probably be fine.

Now then...what's the best way to break all these in?

coldfoot

Banned
I love cheap but good quality headphones, so I was thrilled when I ordered a pair of Monoprice IEM's for $8 and they sent me two pairs...It's a shame they're so uncomfortable though.

HiResDes

Vsonic GR02s are my favorite in the range, followed by the Astrotec AM90, and for like ten bucks more the Fischer Audio Silver Bullets. I don't think the M5 are as great as I first had hoped after spending a little time with them and I apologize for ever recommending them. I still like the E30 a bit more than the Monoprices though. The comfort is really an issue and I don't think they quite match them in clarity.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Vsonic GR02s are my favorite in the range, followed by the Astrotec AM90, and for like ten bucks more the Fischer Audio Silver Bullets. I don't think the M5 are as great as I first had hoped after spending a little time with them and I apologize for ever recommending them. I still like the E30 a bit more than the Monoprices though. The comfort is really an issue and I don't think they quite match them in clarity.

The Bass Edition GR02's or which edition? What makes you like them over the E30's?

I think I might agree with you on the E30's if the 4-8khz region smooths out just a tad after they're broken in. A little EQ seems to put the bass right where it needs to be. The imaging and clarity are phenomenal on the E30's for the price.

TheExodu5

Banned
I will not use a clip on mic under any circumstances, so I just ordered the Plantronics 380. Hopefully it's good.

They seem close in terms of their older Plantronics 770, which was a fantastic model. Hopefully this one is just as good. They probably won't be quite as comfortable due to the lack of the stretching headband though.

Let me know how they are in any case...I might pick up a set as a spare to my Sennheisers. Also please comment on the comfort level...for PC use I find comfort is by far the most important aspect, even ahead of sound quality. It doesn't matter how good a headset sounds if it's causing discomfort in the long run.

Now then...what's the best way to break all these in?

Just listen to them :D

I've had the 8320s for about a year and loved every minute. A bit large, but still amazing. Have you swapped out the tips or has Monoprice changed them at all? Made a world of a difference for me.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm still pretty skeptical when it comes to headphone break-in. I tend to warm to any headphone over time, but I'm of the opinion that it's more psychological than anything. As I become more fond of a certain sound there's the impression that it's somehow improving.

HiResDes

Is anyone here excited for the soon-to-come FiiO X3 DAC? I can't wait for the reviews to come out.

It's a DAP I heard, which is even more exciting.

LL
LL

Anyway, thanks for everyone in here that you guys still interested in our X3, since the project is still under developing, I really hope the same story happen again. but I don't want our users misunderstand us. so below maybe something you will interested.

1, When we will release our X3? Around June 2013.

2, M.S.R.P, almost the same as before although the cost increase a lots, we feel very sorry to our fans so we decide not to increase the price too much , the target M.S.R.P in U.S is about $150 ~ $180, 20% higher in Europe because the VAT is different.

3, Some modification between the original design.

A, Small changes in the appearance, includes a aluminum cover on the front panel, and small changes on the back panel.

B, The screen size changed from 2.2" 220*176 to 2.4" 320*240 TFT, it is not a great TFT displayer cause hard to purchase the best TFT from Samsung or Sharp , as you know, they always ask a very huge purchase order.

C, The 18 pins dock is removed so X3 can't not docked into our E9/E09K .

D, Added build in Flash, maybe 8G, still support microSD card, up to 64GB.

E, CPU, dual core 600 Mhz, actually it is designed for table and other device, we hope it should have better performance in decoding the APE and fastest response to any control

F, DAC, one WM8740, not so perfect, but still very good to an DAP which designed for audiophile, we notice that SONY, iRiver also used WM8740 in their new portable DAC/AMP and DAP.

G, Hardware bass/treble/balance control, it is more useful than a software EQ which more easy in a MP3. the original design does not support any EQ or Bass/Treble/Balance control.

H, AMP section change from TPA6130A to AD8397 which used in our ALPEN ( E17 ), I think most of our fans already know how good it will be in sound quality.

I, Better battery life because the new CPU consume less power now and we also put a bigger battery inside X3,

J. Very simple and iPod style UI , it is just the same style but not a similar UI as iPod. support album cover , lyric display, ID3

K, Almost support any kinds of music up to 192K/24BIT. includes MP3, OGG, AAC, WMA, FLAC, APE, WAV.

So far the project go smooth but anything is possible so it is not a promise to our fans. as we have too many new model running at the same time, please be patient before we have further news. I will try to update any news but nothing more to share with you right now.

Yes, now support APE/FLAC/WAV/WMA/ALAC , all up to 192K/24B, is X3 will be the first DAP which support so many kind of Lossless 192/24 music in the world?

Geneijin

It's more about being accustomed to the sound than any break-in occurring. You just start to notice more or less characteristics you may or may not have known before.

HiResDes

Also did ya'll see this?

V-MODA Invents VAMP VERZA and Metallo, the World’s First Hi-Fi Amplifier, DAC, Battery and Docking Metal Case for Samsung Galaxy S III, S IV, iPhone 5

LL
LL
LL
LL

Milano – March 13, 2013 – V-MODA, designer of the award-winning, crowdsourced Crossfade M-100, announces its latest inventions, VAMP VERZA and Metallo case. Geared for the modern audio connoisseur, VERZA transforms your smartphone into a mobile hi-fi system. Designed in Italy and made in Japan, it builds off of the original VAMP for iPhone 4/4S featuring an integrated 150mW x 2 headphone amplifier, 2 DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converters) and a 2200mAh battery pack. VAMP VERZA also introduces the patent-pending VERZADOCK that seamlessly integrates with popular smartphone and tablets.

VAMP VERZA can be used as a standalone Hi-Fi USB Audio amplifier, or mobile audiophiles can dock it with the machined METALLO case built specifically for the Samsung Galaxy S III. Future cases for the Samsung Galaxy S IV, Note II and iPhone 5 will be available in the upcoming months. Metallo slides and locks onto VERZA’s high-performance audio engine with the VERZADOCK rail mechanism designed for optimal precision and tactility. The case can be used independently with the included back cover for times when portability is more important than function.

Audiophile Sound & Anti-interference Technology

VAMP VERZA’s audiophile-grade dedicated DACs extracts pure digital output from your computer, Android, or iOS device via USB/micro-USB and converts it into analog form for the purest mobile audio listening experience. VERZA’s 150mW x 2 amplifier delivers enhanced power for higher end headphones and up to 7 hours of playback. Low noise anti-interference is provided by Burr Brown, AKM DAC and a 6-layer PCB, features usually found only in hi-end digital players. These features isolate the components so your audio sounds more like the original recording with less resonance, radio interference and background noise. VAMP’s rotary volume knob allows you to finely control your volume and the hi/lo gain switch adjusts the output level.

Additionally, professional musicians can use the VAMP VERZA with their computer or portable device to audition, mix and master projects on the road trusting the sound is consistent from device to device.

USB Battery Charger and Optical Output

The 2200 mAh lithium-ion battery can be used as a backup power source for virtually any USB powered device, and can double most smartphone’s battery life. Another unique feature is an optical audio output that allows you to connect VAMP VERZA to your A/V receiver, DJ mixer or aftermarket car stereo via Toslink or SPDIF optical audio, transforming your device into a Hi-Fi grade audio source.

Metallo Case

The new designer Metallo cases defend your smartphone and are forged from a single aluminum metal block similar to the design process of a MacBook. Each unit takes nearly an hour to machine the unique V-ANGLE design and finishes. The lightweight Metallo can be used independently of the VAMP VERZA as one of the back plates is designed for ultra-portable use. The second back plate, VERZADOCK, bolts onto the VAMP VERZA’s 4-bolt main so that you can slide and lock the phone onto VAMP VERZA. The precision is unique and even the sound when switching the plates or docking was tuned to emulate unsheathing a sword. When docked to VAMP VERZA, it locks safely into place with a sliding lock mechanism. To use your camera, simply pull the case out and up.

VAMP VERZA Features

• Designed in Italy, Made in Japan

• VERZADOCK Compatible (patent-pending)

• Hi-Fi 150mW x 2 (USB Mode), 130mW x 2 (iOS Mode) amplifier

• 2200 mA/h battery with up to 7 hours of playback

• Charges iPhone, iPod and USB devices

• 2 Dedicated DACs (USB/iOS)

• 6-Layer PCB for low noise, anti-interference

• Rotary dial volume control/on-off switch

• Variable Gain Switch

• Optical Audio Output

• 3 Distinct Sound Enhancement Modes

o Pure Audio

o Bass Enhancer (iOS Mode Only)

o 3D (Optimized for Home and Car stereos)

• Lightweight 190g

Metallo Case Features

• Designer protection for your phone

• V-ANGLE Lightweight Machined Metal

• Interchangeable VERZADOCK Plate (patent-pending)

• Sliding lock mechanism (patent-pending)

• Compatible with Vamp VERZA AMP/DAC/Battery Pack

CRS

Oh my god. I want that. But that means I would have to take my Pro 900s out and I can't do that.

I don't know if it's me or the music but sometimes I feel like the left channel is breaking on me when there's heavy bass.

coldfoot

Banned
They seem close in terms of their older Plantronics 770, which was a fantastic model. Hopefully this one is just as good. They probably won't be quite as comfortable due to the lack of the stretching headband though.

Let me know how they are in any case...I might pick up a set as a spare to my Sennheisers. Also please comment on the comfort level...for PC use I find comfort is by far the most important aspect, even ahead of sound quality. It doesn't matter how good a headset sounds if it's causing discomfort in the long run.

They came yesteday and I've been using them. First impressions are that while it does not sound better than any other sub $50-headset with 40mm drivers, their comfort is absolutely outstanding. The design makes if as if it's not resting on your head, there's almost zero pressure to the top of your head. Far, far better than my old Fatal1ty HS-980's. Also the ear pads are not cheap pleather but a suede-like material, which does not get as hot as the pleather in many other cheap headsets. I also like having volume controls and mic mute on the left earcup instead of an inline controller, it reduces extra pressure, weight on the cable. The cable material is also much more robust than my HS-980's.

So in short, average audio quality but superior comfort.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
It's a DAP I heard, which is even more exciting.

LL
LL

Anyway, thanks for everyone in here that you guys still interested in our X3, since the project is still under developing, I really hope the same story happen again. but I don't want our users misunderstand us. so below maybe something you will interested.

1, When we will release our X3? Around June 2013.
Oh, hello. I'm definitely interested. Especially since my brother just lost my Creative Zen.

At this point, unless you go for broke and get a Stax SR009 and a BHSE, I've "been there and done that." :p Your best bet is just getting something you're super happy with :)

A more useful piece of info for anyone browsing this thread. The Sony MDR EX600 are excellent IEMs for $150 or so. They are a little harsh with some high frequencies but not by much and their bass is solid, nicely impactful and well extended. good wide soundstage and involving mids. I recommend them for anyone considering an IEM in this price range.

Heard the new JPS labs Abyss is supposed to be mind blowing and outperforms the 009. Http://www.abyss-headphones.com

It's supposed to require some kind of monster rig to properly drive however. Quad Jecklin Floats are also something I'm quite interested in as they are literally ear speakers. If only there were meets around me on the scale of Can Jam :(

Oh, and since I know you're always on the lookout for new phones - if you dig the Ex600, you should check out the Ocharaku Flat-4 SUI. They're similar in a number of ways (bright, capable low end, wide soundstage), but the Flat-4 is technically better in every measure. Soundstage on the Flat-4 is their real hallmark, projecting a remarkably large stage with an incredible sense of depth. I almost hesitate to compare them against other IEMs simply because the perceived space they project is much more akin to a full sized headphone (in truth, the space projected by the F-4 seems to extend further than my SA5K and Mad Dogs, with better layering than both), dwarfing the ES5, SM3, EX600 and FAD Heaven VI (all quite impressive in their own right). The F-4s immersion factor, high level of detail retrieval, and superb dynamic range are my favorite things about them.

It's not perfect of course, and weaknesses that come to mind are: a slightly hot upper midrange, which makes them more fatiguing than other phones. I feel it's similar to the Ex600 in that respect, though nothing as bad as the SA5K. The slightly thin/recessed midrange might make a scant number of recordings come across as flat and uninvolving compared to lusher phones such as the ES5, FAD Heaven VI, SM3 etc. They're also quite revealing of poor recordings, but aren't obnoxious about it like say on the ER-6. The fit can be kind of finicky compared to most phones due to the placement of the phase correction tube and their build quality, while solid, lacks strain reliefs at the housing and jack.

Those caveats aside, I find them to be tremendous performers and one of the best deals currently going (my conversations with fellow F-4 owners on HF state that the F-4 can go toe to toe with the To Go 334, K3003, 1plus2, FIBASS etc) and would suffice as a replacement for a full sized can on the go (aside from their average isolation of course)

That VAMP phone case DAC/AMP looks crazy. Muppetface over at HF recently teased that she's listened to a prototype for what she considers to be a paradigm shifting portable amp, one that can garner comparisons to full sized rigs. She's under NDA about it, but I'm pretty excited to see what it is she's heard considering all of the TOTL gear she's heard/owned

andylsun

Just pulled the plug on a pair of Sennheiser HD25-ii-i. I'm doing quite a bit of air travel now and wanted to upgrade from my PX200's.

Wow, what an upgrade! Going to burn them in before my flight on Thursday, and loving them already.

Will gather all my Sennheiser headphones tomorrow and post a picture of the growing family.

HiResDes

New headphones pop up all the time, but the Sennheisers HD25 remain one of the top three best headphones for $200 or less. In semi-related news, Phiaton MS400 are only $130 right now!

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Picked up a pair of House of Marley Exodus headphones last week, enjoying them immensely. I really dug their look, and they sound great. Probably going to pick up some MEElectronics A151-BK IEMs for when I go to the gym or when I don't want some big over-ears on my head during the summer.

Top Bottom