• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Didnt hear the A900X myself but as far as I know they are better in almost everything (mids, highs, soundstage) except bass quantity.

They're a little pricey than the M50 though.

On Amazon there is only a $30 difference ($119 for M50, $149 for A900X) so the price is a non issue. Portability is more of a concern as I plan to take them to and from work and will use them at home, at work, on vacation and long trips and that type of thing.

I always have this problem too. Research it too damn much. Keyboards, mice, monitors, etc. Once I pull the trigger, I am happy with what I get but the journey there is a pain.

Ferr986

On Amazon there is only a $30 difference ($119 for M50, $149 for A900X) so the price is a non issue. Portability is more of a concern as I plan to take them to and from work and will use them at home, at work, on vacation and long trips and that type of thing.

Well, I only have the M50. They're ok for taking them to work (if its in the office), planes, hotel... I dont think they're good for outdoor use though, or physical work or training, too big IMO.
A900X seems the same, maybe a little bit bigger. Should be the same.

Well, I only have the M50. They're ok for taking them to work (if its in the office), planes, hotel... I dont think they're good for outdoor use though, or physical work or training, too big IMO.
A900X seems the same, maybe a little bit bigger. Should be the same.

Yeah, don't plan to use them in any sort of physical way. The only thing that might even be close is if I'm wearing them while walking around town listening to music but even then, I don't really do that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Finally bit the bullet and got Beyerdynamic DT770 (80ohm)

It was really tough call for me between M50 and these headphones, but these seemed more comfortable when I wore them for longer periods of time, but they are also notably less loud. They are also pretty huge, but I don't really care. The loudness is a bit of a problem with these - they're definitely not loud enough with iphone, and about loud enough on laptop only if if turn the volume all the way up, which probably distorts the laptop sound out too. Especially bad if you want to equalize things a bit, as you always have to lower pre-amp slider if you want to push any EQ up, which makes sound volume even lower of course.

I was looking into getting a small headphone amp, and the cMoy from JDS Labs always comes highly recommended. It is however 70$ for a rechargeable verson, whereas Fiio e5 is something like 20$. I also have to admit I'm iffy on the very prospect of any kind of headphone amp as it introduces another AD-DA conversion which can't possibly not degrade the sound, correct? Am I going to be trading sound quality for sound volume?

I was deadset on getting the ATH-M50 but now I am second guessing myself and want to get the ATH-A900X instead.

Hate shopping for this lol.

Didnt hear the A900X myself but as far as I know they are better in almost everything (mids, highs, soundstage) except bass quantity.

They're a little pricey than the M50 though.

Now I have found the "Dr. Dre Beats Pro Killer" according to Head-Fi. The Ultrasone HFI-580 - Great, precise bass with clear mids and highs. Large 50mm drivers too. Price is $189. I may get these... It's funny how the more research you do the more confused you become. However, there are multiple threads with 10+ pages that discuss multiple headphones with bass (which is what I want), and at the middle price range, these are king (opinion, but many people's opinion). I may just bite on these ones. I am done with 40mm drivers, I have the Klipsch Image Ones and love them, but I want larger, precise drivers now.

Edit: I just bought the FiiO E11 for $60 today. Upgrading my $22 FiiO E5 and will post impressions here.

HiResDes

580 are awesome, but the clamping force is too much for most...You will find them uncomfortable, same with the Denon Hp700...Also Major Williams you really shouldn't succumb to the hype that larger drivers equates to a more precise sound...That's really really silly.

....If you just want great bass that doesn't muddle the rest of the sound spectrum to much look into the M-Audio Q40. Trust me, I've tried many of the hyped headphones on Headfi and I know the weaknesses that they often gloss over.

Geneijin

The ATH-WS55 might be a option if price and portability is a concern ($69.95). I don't own the ATH-M50 anymore, but I prefer the sound of the ATH-WS55 more honestly. It has better separation and clarity but less detail, definitely not as forward, and a somewhat smaller soundstage compared to the ATH-M50 although I wouldn't praise the soundstage of the ATH-M50 much either.

HiResDes

Anyone recommend the best set @ $150 range?

Such a vague question. Everyone keeps asking for the best this and best that without any input of their own. What genres do you like? Do you prefer open or closed headphones? Give us something. There's no best headphone for every single thing and every single person.

Geneijin

As HiResDes said.

I prefer open headphones more than closed headphones, but they're not feasibly portable or sensible outdoors. So when and where you'll be using your headphones is a factor people typically overlook. For example, I like open headphones but sound leakage could be a problem if you have to be concerned about bothering people.

HiResDes

Finally bit the bullet and got Beyerdynamic DT770 (80ohm)

It was really tough call for me between M50 and these headphones, but these seemed more comfortable when I wore them for longer periods of time, but they are also notably less loud. They are also pretty huge, but I don't really care. The loudness is a bit of a problem with these - they're definitely not loud enough with iphone, and about loud enough on laptop only if if turn the volume all the way up, which probably distorts the laptop sound out too. Especially bad if you want to equalize things a bit, as you always have to lower pre-amp slider if you want to push any EQ up, which makes sound volume even lower of course.

I was looking into getting a small headphone amp, and the cMoy from JDS Labs always comes highly recommended. It is however 70$ for a rechargeable verson, whereas Fiio e5 is something like 20$. I also have to admit I'm iffy on the very prospect of any kind of headphone amp as it introduces another AD-DA conversion which can't possibly not degrade the sound, correct? Am I going to be trading sound quality for sound volume?

You bought a fairly high impedance headphone that is really not meant to be portable whatsoever. An E5 will not help much. You're gonna need a decent amp and a DAC unless your laptop comes with a good soundcard. I don't even think you can bypass the subpar DAC in the iPhone so I wouldn't worry about that. For what you want I'm not sure you made the best or most cost effective choice and this is coming from a former DT770 owner.

CRS

You bought a fairly high impedance headphone that is really not meant to be portable whatsoever. An E5 will not help much. You're gonna need a decent amp and a DAC unless your laptop comes with a good soundcard. I don't even think you can bypass the subpar DAC in the iPhone so I wouldn't worry about that. For what you want I'm not sure you made the best or most cost effective choice and this is coming from a former DT770 owner.

It's too bad this is so expensive but he can pick up the Vamp Verza.\

I really, really, really, want one. :'(

Mew2

Neo Member
Such a vague question. Everyone keeps asking for the best this and best that without any input of their own. What genres do you like? Do you prefer open or closed headphones? Give us something. There's no best headphone for every single thing and every single person.

Yeah I guess it was kinda nooby of me to ask so vaguely

I listen to hardcore music (heavy bassy metal sounding rock I guess?)

I want to be able to hear the Bass Drops/808 and still be able to hear crisp vocals.

Mostly rock, I appreciate the heavy lows...but anything that does mid to low range well^^ Over ear ftw

CRS

It'll come down...In about three years lol.

ibwxyMNy2Jkhqu.gif

HiResDes

Okay given your choices I'd recommend the Phiaton MS400, basically you're looking for a really warm headphone with a strong midrange and good low range, but you're not gonna miss the detail in the treble range, which is why I think the Phiaton MS400 would be good. If you're okay with open headphones and are willing to sacrifice a little bit of bass the Audio Technica ATH-TAD500 have a spectacular midrange and can be had a relatively low cost.

Geneijin

I would think the laptop is simply inadequate from what was already said. In cases where volume has to be turned all the way up, it's a sure sign of being underpowered.

The 8323's carry a sound signature similar to that of Beats. I don't think it's a good thing, but they're certainly a good substitute for them if that's what you're looking for.

I like the Koss PortaPro's at $30-40, depending on where you get them. Those are open, though, and they aluminum headband can be uncomfortable if you've got a big head like myself.

I saw Des recommended the HA-S400's; I haven't heard them, but they are popular.
Yeah the headphones are mainly for PC gaming, watching Twitch streams, and some music listening.

I was looking at the 8323's because I was doing some research into headphones in that price range and saw a lot of people recommending them. The downside I read about them is that they're pretty uncomfortable. My sister has a pair of Beats (unfortunately) so if they're a bit like them then I probably wouldn't like those.

I'm more into closed headphones that can give some good isolation so I can focus on what I'm listening to easier. I do read good things about the Koss but them being open pretty much turns me off of them.

Looking at Das' suggestions I was leaning towards the M30 but I don't know if I should get those or the HA-S400s.

HiResDes

I'd personally go with the M30's unless you can spring ten bucks more for SR850s

Both are some of the most comfortable cans in their class and are good all-arounders though not particularly spectacular in any range.

...Never mind about the SR850's as they're partially open and don't isolate all that well.

Geneijin

I'd personally go with the M30's unless you can spring ten bucks more for SR850s

Both are some of the most comfortable cans in their class and are good all-arounders though not particularly spectacular in any range.

...Never mind about the SR850's as they're partially open and don't isolate all that well.
The CAD MH310 is like a closed cousin of the SR850.

Edit: Clamping is much stronger than the SR850 however.

I always have this problem too. Research it too damn much. Keyboards, mice, monitors, etc. Once I pull the trigger, I am happy with what I get but the journey there is a pain.

They are actually quite a bit different. The M50 obviously being a studio monitor headphone and is much more portable since it collapses down to be carried in its small pouch. The A900x goes for a more "open" style sound even though it has a closed back. The A900x won't isolate as much as the M50, has a looser feel on the head and is quite a bit bigger overall. If you plan to take them on the go at all and put them in a bookbag, get the M50. If you are just going to be keeping them at home and using them at a desk, I would go A900x, but then in that case I would get an open headphone instead anyway.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't need it to be portable, I just want to listen to them at work. I gave iphone situation as an example, but I don't plan on ever using them with it. Laptop is macbook pro (retina) which was more than plenty loud with every other headphone I've ever tried with it, so I figured this won't be much of a problem. But it kind of is, when I want to equalize the sound at least. I guess I'll give cMoy a try. I'm not sure what other cans I could have gone with to be honest. It was a hard decision between this and M50, but I found these more comfortable so that was a deciding factor. Other similarly (or more expensive) priced headphones I tried, I just didn't like the sound.

I have to ask now, what did you buy after DT770s? Being closed type is a must for me btw, because of listening at work.

rofl Are you serious? I just ordered these. Time to see if Amazon will give me a $20 refund.

They are actually quite a bit different. The M50 obviously being a studio monitor headphone and is much more portable since it collapses down to be carried in its small pouch. The A900x goes for a more "open" style sound even though it has a closed back. The A900x won't isolate as much as the M50, has a looser feel on the head and is quite a bit bigger overall. If you plan to take them on the go at all and put them in a bookbag, get the M50. If you are just going to be keeping them at home and using them at a desk, I would go A900x, but then in that case I would get an open headphone instead anyway.

Yeah, the plan is that I want to listen to them at home and listen to them at work, then take them back home. Might even leave them at work overnight. Or just leave them at home and find a better portable pair. Ones that I can use during vacation or long trips. In that case, should I just go for the M50 or is there a better pair? I listen to pretty much everything.

rofl Are you serious? I just ordered these. Time to see if Amazon will give me a $20 refund.

Yeah, the plan is that I want to listen to them at home and listen to them at work, then take them back home. Might even leave them at work overnight. Or just leave them at home and find a better portable pair. Ones that I can use during vacation or long trips. In that case, should I just go for the M50 or is there a better pair? I listen to pretty much everything.

Call them and try to cancel before it goes out. Maybe they'll give you the refund that way.

At the price of the M50, for taking them places, they are probably your best bet. The Shure 840 and Ultrasone HFI780 would also be good choices but are a little more expensive. I use the M50 at work because they isolate well and when the headband has been stretched are comfortable all day. Since they are a very popular studio monitor they are pretty good at just about everything. I mostly listen to rock and jazz. I ordered the Shure 940 earpads from Amazon a while back and put them on my M50 because they are much more comfortable than the pleather for me.

If you have a Guitar Center near you, they will let you try them out.

Call them and try to cancel before it goes out. Maybe they'll give you the refund that way.

At the price of the M50, for taking them places, they are probably your best bet. The Shure 840 and Ultrasone HFI780 would also be good choices but are a little more expensive. I use the M50 at work because they isolate well and when the headband has been stretched are comfortable all day. Since they are a very popular studio monitor they are pretty good at just about everything. I mostly listen to rock and jazz. I ordered the Shure 940 earpads from Amazon a while back and put them on my M50 because they are much more comfortable than the pleather for me.

If you have a Guitar Center near you, they will let you try them out.

I will look into the Shure 840 and HFI780. Seems like the 840 is preferred but I was just quickly looking at the threads in the head-fi forums.

Thanks!

HiResDes

You're gonna find them extremely bass light, also Soundmagic HP100 > Shure SRH840. Many people prefer the HFI-580 over the 780 as well because of the somewhat fatiguing highs, also note the tight clamping force of both.

580 are awesome, but the clamping force is too much for most...You will find them uncomfortable, same with the Denon Hp700...Also Major Williams you really shouldn't succumb to the hype that larger drivers equates to a more precise sound...That's really really silly.

....If you just want great bass that doesn't muddle the rest of the sound spectrum to much look into the M-Audio Q40. Trust me, I've tried many of the hyped headphones on Headfi and I know the weaknesses that they often gloss over.

I put a comma in there on purpose. I want larger drivers AND precise drivers in my next headphone. I could buy 50mm driver headphones for $40 probably, but that's not what my sentiment was :) Appreciate the advice though.

I am looking for booming bass, with clear highs and mids (clear enough really, I dont need perfection on mids and highs), around the $200 price range closed-back over ear design. Prefer them to have the ability to take the headphone cord out. I'll have to look at the Q40s

You're gonna find them extremely bass light, also Soundmagic HP100 > Shure SRH840. Many people prefer the HFI-580 over the 780 as well because of the somewhat fatiguing highs, also note the tight clamping force of both.

Agreed the Shure is not as comfortable and probably bass light to most.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to return/cancel the A900X and look into a more portable pair. Soundmagic HP100 being at the top of the list.

So it is too late to cancel the A900X but I did get a $20 refund. Still looking into a more portable pair as well. Just out of curiosity, will amazon still do returns with a used product? I want to try them both out and return the one that I don't like as much.

So it is too late to cancel the A900X but I did get a $20 refund. Still looking into a more portable pair as well. Just out of curiosity, will amazon still do returns with a used product? I want to try them both out and return the one that I don't like as much.

HeadRoom will absolutley let you try them and return them. Also, if you call them I think they'll match Amazon's price. They have top notch customer service and gave me a good deal on the HE400's just because I asked. I actually spoke to Jorge who runs the place.

HeadRoom will absolutley let you try them and return them. Also, if you call them I think they'll match Amazon's price. They have top notch customer service and gave me a good deal on the HE400's just because I asked. I actually spoke to Jorge who runs the place.

Cool, I will look into those. I'm sure that after a while, I will get annoyed taking these to and from work and would be nice to have a pair that I can leave at work and also use them for travel while having the A900X as more of a home pair. For now anyway.

Amazon's return policy is great - most of their resellers are good too. Most of my packages come with a return label, and I get a full refund when I do have problems.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just ordered the Fiio E17 USB DAC Amp for $99.

I was going to post the deal here, but when I checked the product page the price reverted.

Hey guys, I had a question that I thought you may be able to help me out with.

When my wife was a kid she came down with meningitis, and thankfully she survived, but not without hearing damage. Turns out she is deaf in one ear. Aside from her really hilarious habit of spinning in a circle when trying to locate where sound is coming from, it doesn't typically impede on her day to day life.

The big problem is that I have been noticing more and more lately that bands/musicians have been isolating instruments and parts of music to only one stereo side, while something different happens on the other side. As you can imagine, this has a huge negative impact on people who can only hear out of one side.

So, I was wondering if there are any headphones out there that will blend stereo sound into mono. I know she prefers ear buds, but one of the bad things about them is that she hates having them in her deaf ear, so the other just sort of flops around. It would be a nice bonus if there were single ear stereo-to-mono set ups for people in her situation, and I figured if anyone knew anything about such a thing it would be people in this thread. Please let me know if anyone knows of such a thing! Her birthday is rapidly approaching and I was thinking this would be a nice gift.

Geneijin

Hey guys, I had a question that I thought you may be able to help me out with.

When my wife was a kid she came down with meningitis, and thankfully she survived, but not without hearing damage. Turns out she is deaf in one ear. Aside from her really hilarious habit of spinning in a circle when trying to locate where sound is coming from, it doesn't typically impede on her day to day life.

The big problem is that I have been noticing more and more lately that bands/musicians have been isolating instruments and parts of music to only one stereo side, while something different happens on the other side. As you can imagine, this has a huge negative impact on people who can only hear out of one side.

So, I was wondering if there are any headphones out there that will blend stereo sound into mono. I know she prefers ear buds, but one of the bad things about them is that she hates having them in her deaf ear, so the other just sort of flops around. It would be a nice bonus if there were single ear stereo-to-mono set ups for people in her situation, and I figured if anyone knew anything about such a thing it would be people in this thread. Please let me know if anyone knows of such a thing! Her birthday is rapidly approaching and I was thinking this would be a nice gift.
Can't you just downmix with foobar's stereo to mono DSP?

Edit: foobar2000> Library > Configure > Playback > DSP Manager > Available DSP > Downmix channels to mono

Sethos

Banned
Well, my HD650 cables went all bonkers and figured it was time to pull the trigger on a new set.

Decided to give the Philips Fidelio X1 a try as they come highly recommended, has the extra bass I'm looking for at they were in a nice price-range for me. Can't wait to take them for a spin.

( Oh and the cable is a standard jack, not all that proprietary stuff )

Sethos

Banned
...Oh man, I completely forgot about its US release here. I didn't know it was time, and my wallet is not happy right now. I'm not sure if I should thank you.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3QD94O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: What are your initial impressions so far Sethos?

Oh nothing yet, just ordered them online so they are still on the way - Really excited.

As for your wallet, if it's already unhappy you might as well go full monty and make it cry. I will share some impressions once I get it and given it a fair shake.

wizard

Banned
Hello people's I was hoping you could give me a recommendation for some headphones.

I listen to music non stop when I'm on public transportation and then while I'm at work. I generally use my in house surround sound for all audio once I'm home.

Most of the songs I listen to are in 320k, lots of black metal, indie, folk, industrial, prog rock, electronica and post punk. I'm looking for something pretty high quality my budget is up to 250$. The thing is I need some closed headphones since I don't want to be obnoxious with my music in public and at work.

Any suggestions? I've just been using earbuds and would really like to upgrade.

Thanks!

HiResDes

Hello people's I was hoping you could give me a recommendation for some headphones.

I listen to music non stop when I'm on public transportation and then while I'm at work. I generally use my in house surround sound for all audio once I'm home.

Most of the songs I listen to are in 320k, lots of black metal, indie, folk, industrial, prog rock, electronica and post punk. I'm looking for something pretty high quality my budget is up to 250$. The thing is I need some closed headphones since I don't want to be obnoxious with my music in public and at work.

Any suggestions? I've just been using earbuds and would really like to upgrade.

Thanks!

If you're okay with on-ear headphones Sennheiser HD-25 are going to be your best bet

Fina1e

Does anyone know where I can get some replacement AKG K550 earpads or if there is another line in which I can use as an alternative?

Top Bottom