• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Aadil

Banned
So im thinking about my next set of cans.

Over the ear and closed...
Like I said I just got my tma's which are pretty good, especially for bass, i like the plain and simple design but they are just too big too carry around all the time and wear on a daily basis.

Any ideas for something similar but a bit more portable? Soemthing really good for bass and electronic music but also able to other genres good too (like an all rounder thats specially good for bass (dnb jungle dub garage etc)

On another point, anyone know anything about HiFi Man He-400, looking to get them for my next pair of at home use, i love the design but not too sure about whether they will fit specs for above...I'd look at different headphones but impedance is important because im not too good (too lazy) to start getting involved with amps.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I'm normally a fan of the "Bose Blows LOL" team, but a buddy at work let me borrow his Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones recently and while the actual audio quality is nothing to rave about (it's serviceable - not distractingly lacking, not anything I'll be soon be tossing out my Senn HD580s for, and perfectly fine for most movie watching/game playing) the actual sound canceling is amazing.

I got the unplanned joy of testing them at a particularly noisy hotel with a nightclub blasting music until 2AM and even with no source and just the sound cancelling on it pretty well eliminated all that wonderful background noise.

He says he'll sell them to me for $120 and since I have a need for headphones with good sound cancellation and they're in great shape, I'll likely be biting. I would never pay the normal retail place for them, but I will say I'm impressed with what they can do. Unless there's anything in that price-range now with superior sound cancellation (outside the IEM realm, just not a fan) that I'm unaware of...

bedlamite

So im thinking about my next set of cans.

Over the ear and closed...
Like I said I just got my tma's which are pretty good, especially for bass, i like the plain and simple design but they are just too big too carry around all the time and wear on a daily basis.

Any ideas for something similar but a bit more portable? Soemthing really good for bass and electronic music but also able to other genres good too (like an all rounder thats specially good for bass (dnb jungle dub garage etc)

On another point, anyone know anything about HiFi Man He-400, looking to get them for my next pair of at home use, i love the design but not too sure about whether they will fit specs for above...I'd look at different headphones but impedance is important because im not too good (too lazy) to start getting involved with amps.

V-Moda M80s, more portable than the TMA-1s and a more well-rounded sound signature

Aadil

Banned
V-Moda M80s, more portable than the TMA-1s and a more well-rounded sound signature

cheers..seen them before as someone mentioned but to be honest aesthetics also play a part, i like really subtle simple stuff, and those are a bit too triangley for my liking! hope i aint being too picky there!

Izayoi

Banned
I need honest opinions from people who have listened to both on identical hardware.

T1 Tesla or HD800?

I listen to everything from hip-hop to dubstep to classical, so it's needs to be well-rounded.

I'm currently using the DT-880s. My amp is the WooAudio WA6 with a Sophia Princess, my DAC is the Yulong U100.

HiResDes

LCfiner

I need honest opinions from people who have listened to both on identical hardware.

T1 Tesla or HD800?

I listen to everything from hip-hop to dubstep to classical, so it's needs to be well-rounded.

I'm currently using the DT-880s. My amp is the WooAudio WA6 with a Sophia Princess, my DAC is the Yulong U100.

HD800 might not be satisfactory for the hip-hop or dubstep as the bass is even but not massively punchy the way big speakers (or a few other headphones) can be.

On the other hand, The HD800 is incredible for classical and any live recording acoustic performance as the details and soundstage is on another level.

The T1 doesn't have the same wide soundstage or the same level of clarity and precision as the HD800 but it's a bit punchier and might be better as an all rounder. and, to some ears, it can be quite harsh and sibilant with treble.

You might want to consider the LCD3. it'll dominate the hip-hop dubstep and has almost the same detail retrieval and clarity of the HD800 for classical. Soundstage is not quite the same as the HD800 (but no headphone has the wide stage of the HD800). It's an excellent headphone.

TH900 is another TOTL choice that will give you more bass punch than the HD800 and is easier to drive, a bit more treble happy, and more comfy than the LCD3. But not as reference quality

Ok headphone gaf... My GF wants to buy me headphones for my b-day. She offered beats by dre but as we all know there are much better options out there. I want a over the ear noise canceling pair. I listen to all types of music but metal and hip hop are my main genres. What are some of the best on the market right now for a decent price?

T1 Tesla or HD800?

Between the two, it's an easy win for HD800s. They have much better clarity across the board, while the T1 has painful treble resonances and blurred details due to unnaturally large decay and a stabbingly bright sound signature. Basically a one way ticket to high frequency hearing loss.

HD800 is pretty analytical, but sounds amazing with classical music, possibly the best there is for this genre.

Hip hop and dubstep love Audeze LCD-3s. Something to think about.

Want something in between (sounds good with everything) that will run on your setup? Try Hifiman HE-500s.

Do they have kind of info at all on it? Impedance at the very least? I would like to avoid buying a new amp, if possible.

It's a modded Fostex t50rp, so impedance is 50 ohms.

Ok headphone gaf... My GF wants to buy me headphones for my b-day. She offered beats by dre but as we all know there are much better options out there. I want a over the ear noise canceling pair. I listen to all types of music but metal and hip hop are my main genres. What are some of the best on the market right now for a decent price?

Does it have to be noise cancelling? Most over the ear headphones can isolate outside noise perfectly without it (and noise cancelling messes up the sound quality)

If you have to though, pick something good that let's you turn off noise cancelling when you don't need it, like Logitech UE6000s.

Does it have to be noise cancelling? Most over the ear headphones can isolate outside noise perfectly without it (and noise cancelling messes up the sound quality)

If you have to though, pick something good that let's you turn off noise cancelling when you don't need it, like Logitech UE6000s.

No doesn't have to be. I actually thought the noise canceling ones had better quality. Guess you learn something new everyday.

No doesn't have to be. I actually thought the noise canceling ones had better quality. Guess you learn something new everyday.

It's a bit of electronic trickery to try and artificially reduce outside noise by introducing false counter-signals along with the music. Generally though it only makes your music sound dulleded and a bit skewed without providing any tangible benefits to isolation. Not good.

What kind of music are you into?

It's a bit of electronic trickery to try and artificially reduce outside noise by introducing false counter-signals along with the music. Generally though it only makes your music sound dulleded and a bit skewed without providing any tangible benefits to isolation. Not good.

What kind of music are you into?

I listen to everything... My top genres are:

Hip hop
Metal
Dub step/electronic

I listen to everything... My top genres are:

Hip hop
Metal
Dub step/electronic

Looks like you need sum bass bro.

Decent price is subjective, but I'd say it's pretty hard to top $90 M-Audio Q40s for hiphop and dubstep/electronica under $100. They do kinda need an amp to sound the best though, but even a cheap one like a Fiio E6 would do. Obviously the more you invest the better the returns.

If you're not interested in amping, the FOTM Audio-Technica M50s are also good value under $100. They are very clean sounding headphones, decent bass though not the sub-bass presence of the Q40 but have a bit more sparkle. Should be a good match with metal.

Want something sexy? Get your GF to buy you Phiaton MS400s. Do fairly well with all your genres and are the ultimate penis envy of the Beats wearing masses. Don't need an amp either.

If you don't mind open headphones with sound leakage, then the Philips Fidelio L1s walk all over the above headphones IMO. A little more pricey, but a little more nicey. Wonderfully extended bass, nice smooth and warm mids, slow rolloff of the highs that means plenty of detail but little harshness. These would be my pick at $200 or below, probably.

Looks like you need sum bass bro.

Decent price is subjective, but I'd say it's pretty hard to top $90 M-Audio Q40s for hiphop and dubstep/electronica under $100. They do kinda need an amp to sound the best though, but even a cheap one like a Fiio E6 would do. Obviously the more you invest the better the returns.

If you're not interested in amping, the FOTM Audio-Technica M50s are also good value under $100. They are very clean sounding headphones, decent bass though not the sub-bass presence of the Q40 but have a bit more sparkle. Should be a good match with metal.

Want something sexy? Get your GF to buy you Phiaton MS400s. Do fairly well with all your genres and are the ultimate penis envy of the Beats wearing masses. Don't need an amp either.

If you don't mind open headphones with sound leakage, then the Philips Fidelio L1s walk all over the above headphones IMO. A little more pricey, but a little more nicey. Wonderfully extended bass, nice smooth and warm mids, slow rolloff of the highs that means plenty of detail but little harshness. These would be my pick at $200 or below, probably.

Man thanks for all this input. I appreciate it. Going to research all of these now. Those Fidelios look great.

Esiquio

Hey Headphone-GAF, looking to buy some in-ear headphones with in-line controls. I opened mostly every link in the OP but it seems like very few of those have in-line controls or a microphone. This is important to me because I use the controls quite often with my iPhone and iPod nano. My budget is around $150, could go over that if the headphones look good enough, if I could get it off of Amazon that is greatly preferred. I'll have those devices for a little while longer, but I honestly have no idea if in-line controls on headphones are somewhat universal and would work on an Android or W8 phone.

The ones I saw were the following:

Bose® MIE2i Mobile Headset

MEElectronics A161P Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphone with Inline Microphone and Remote

Munitio NINES Tactical Earphones with 1 Button Universal Mic Control - Deep Gold

Harman Kardon In Ear AE Headphones HARKARAE

Klipsch Image X7i - Black In-Ear Headphone

Etymotic ER23-HF3-BLACK HF3 In-Ear Headset with 3-Button Remote Control for iPod, iPhone, iPad (Black)

Scosche IEM856MD Reference In-Ear Monitors with tapLINE III Remote & Microphone (Black)

Note: Never used IEMs, so no idea if I'd like them at all. I've been using the old Apple headphones for a long, long time for my in-ear needs. I have Astro A40's and a nice Sennheiser eH350 for my household needs - these would be just for travel, exercise, etc. (which is actually a hell of a lot). I basically just have no idea what to get out of those choices (and I'm sure many others I don't know about). Quality is important to me, but comfort trumps it as long as the quality is good, and it better be for ~$150. I listen to a wide variety of music, from reggae to Daft Punk and classical guitar and spoken word.

Please help, I hope my post has been thorough enough to elicit some good suggestions :)

Sethos

Banned
Well, here we go

12atkz1.png

Initial impressions;

- Very comfortable
- Bass has a nice punch compared to my HD650s, however less than what I expected from reading reviews
- It enhances treble a bit too much in some songs, so it sounds very flat and really pierces your ears but it's minor stuff.

But they do sound great off the bat, already beating my HD650 by quite a lot and doesn't need the same amping. Can't wait to really break them in and get a replacement cable for the stock one that supposedly has such high resistance that it can have an effect on the sound.

We'll see.

HiResDes

Hey Headphone-GAF, looking to buy some in-ear headphones with in-line controls. I opened mostly every link in the OP but it seems like very few of those have in-line controls or a microphone. This is important to me because I use the controls quite often with my iPhone and iPod nano. My budget is around $150, could go over that if the headphones look good enough, if I could get it off of Amazon that is greatly preferred. I'll have those devices for a little while longer, but I honestly have no idea if in-line controls on headphones are somewhat universal and would work on an Android or W8 phone.

The ones I saw were the following:

Bose® MIE2i Mobile Headset

MEElectronics A161P Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphone with Inline Microphone and Remote

Munitio NINES Tactical Earphones with 1 Button Universal Mic Control - Deep Gold

Harman Kardon In Ear AE Headphones HARKARAE

Klipsch Image X7i - Black In-Ear Headphone

Etymotic ER23-HF3-BLACK HF3 In-Ear Headset with 3-Button Remote Control for iPod, iPhone, iPad (Black)

Scosche IEM856MD Reference In-Ear Monitors with tapLINE III Remote & Microphone (Black)

Note: Never used IEMs, so no idea if I'd like them at all. I've been using the old Apple headphones for a long, long time for my in-ear needs. I have Astro A40's and a nice Sennheiser eH350 for my household needs - these would be just for travel, exercise, etc. (which is actually a hell of a lot). I basically just have no idea what to get out of those choices (and I'm sure many others I don't know about). Quality is important to me, but comfort trumps it as long as the quality is good, and it better be for ~$150. I listen to a wide variety of music, from reggae to Daft Punk and classical guitar and spoken word.

Please help, I hope my post has been thorough enough to elicit some good suggestions :)
A161Ps easily.

ZZMitch

I have been using Etymotic HF5s for a few years now. Unfortunately, one of the ear pieces stopped working a few weeks ago. I have really enjoyed them, especially their noise canceling (great for mowing the lawn).

The question is, should I go and buy them again or is there something else out there that is better for me now. I don't want to spend more than $100.

Thanks Gaf!

HiResDes

I have been using Etymotic HF5s for a few years now. Unfortunately, one of the ear pieces stopped working a few weeks ago. I have really enjoyed them, especially their noise canceling (great for mowing the lawn).

The question is, should I go and buy them again or is there something else out there that is better for me now. I don't want to spend more than $100.

Thanks Gaf!

The only IEM that comes to isolating nearly as well in that price range with arguably better sound quality are the Shure SE215, though you might find their sound signature to a bit too warm and bassy coming from the HF5s, but I like them more.

ZZMitch

The only IEM that comes to isolating nearly as well in that price range with arguably better sound quality are the Shure SE215, though you might find their sound signature to a bit too warm and bassy coming from the HF5s, but I like them more.

Thanks for the link. I'll probably stick with the HF5s then but I'll do a bit more research.

Young Magus

I'm currently using the KNK-KRS 8400 that were recommended in this thread. Enjoying them but is there a better cord that I can find? The one that was given was a bit too long for my taste. Also would these work better with a Amp?

I use MEElectronic bi-flanges with my A161 and Fischer Silver Bullets and those go deep enough to suppress noise on an adequate level on planes for me.

Older post, but are you talking about these?

http://www.meelec.com/product_p/tipset3-bf50m-mtn-gy.htm

I decided to get a pair of A161 after seeing you talk about them so much. It is crazy to see how much of a difference a quality pair of headphones can make a difference. I think I'm partial to more bass heavy IEMs/headphones but don't want it to be too distracting.

I plan to just try out these for a while before deciding on which one I want and then sell the rest.

Hello AudioGAF! I apologize if my question has already been answered but I'm somewhat busy and don't have time to read all the previous replys.

I'm looking for a good pair of open/closed headphones somewhere in the $100-$250 range. They will be used for work only so either powered by a laptop or galaxy nexus. I listen to all genres but gravitate towards hard rock/electronic/podcasts most of the time. Thank you in advance!

TheExodu5

Banned
Hello AudioGAF! I apologize if my question has already been answered but I'm somewhat busy and don't have time to read all the previous replys.

I'm looking for a good pair of open/closed headphones somewhere in the $100-$250 range. They will be used for work only so either powered by a laptop or galaxy nexus. I listen to all genres but gravitate towards hard rock/electronic/podcasts most of the time. Thank you in advance!

Ultrasone HFI-580 get my recommendation in that price range, as they are my current work headphones. Fantastic headphones for electronic music, and still quite good for rock (I listen to metal and electronic music mostly). They're low impedance and very easy to driver. They're over the ear, closed headphones, but they project a pretty large soundstage for closed earphones. My only complaint is that they could probably be a bit more comfortable for long listening sessions.

Ultrasone HFI-580 get my recommendation in that price range, as they are my current work headphones. Fantastic headphones for electronic music, and still quite good for rock (I listen to metal and electronic music mostly). They're low impedance and very easy to driver. They're over the ear, closed headphones, but they project a pretty large soundstage for closed earphones. My only complaint is that they could probably be a bit more comfortable for long listening sessions.

Alright. Thanks for the quick reply TheExodu5! Now back to C++

terrible

Banned
I've seen the Aune T1 suggested in here a few times and read some reviews/impressions on Head-Fi and it looks good to me, but does anyone here know if it'd be a good pairing with Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohms (among others) for listening to rock, pop, and some electronic music?

I was looking at the Magni+Modi too but if the Aune T1 can add some warmth that'd be better for my taste I think. I'm a complete noob so sorry if this is a dumb question but since it's a SS amp and tube DAC rather than being a tube amp does the Aune T1 still have a typical tube sound?

If you're curious I've just been using them with a Xonar DG. They get plenty loud (I listen at about 50% volume) but I'm sure they would still improve noticeably with a better amp which I knew prior to buying them. Time to upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Any recommendations for someone using the Sony wireless headsets (the ones with digital surround) looking to upgrade? 150 is probably the most I'd be willing to spend, but we'll see. I've had these Sony ones for a while, and I'm pretty impressed with them, but I know I can get better. And it is TECHNICALLY a headset, which isn't necessary for this upgrade.

Based on
•I need something comfortable. I am the kind of person who used to HATE headphones. These Sony ones are the first in a while to make me feel comfortable wearing them and even then, I want something more comforting that I can wear for longer gaps without my ears getting hot.
•Better sound quality than my current ones. Obviously.
•NO elastic-y band. I figure most don't use that, but I put them on once and they squeezed my glasses and felt awful.
•Sound isolation. Not that big of a deal. I won't have someone in the same room as me, but there will be someone next door. So I'm pretty generous on this one.
•Wireless, obviously.
•It's a given but something that will carry me from PC to PS3 and (likely) to PS4.
•'bigger head' friendly

I think that's it. Any suggestions?

Esiquio

I decided to get a pair of A161 after seeing you talk about them so much. It is crazy to see how much of a difference a quality pair of headphones can make a difference. I think I'm partial to more bass heavy IEMs/headphones but don't want it to be too distracting.

I plan to just try out these for a while before deciding on which one I want and then sell the rest.

I also just bought a pair of A161 based on HiResDes' strong recommendation. I get them tomorrow, hope I like 'em!

Esiquio

Currently listening with them right now. First pair of IEMs. I love it! Gonna set back the A900X. Between these and the WS55, I think I am set.

So I see the link you posted from HiResDes shows these:

TipSet3-BF50M-MTN-GY-2.jpg

Which don't look like anything that comes with the stock A161P's:

And under the list of compatible earphones, I don't see the A161P's listed. So am I missing something here? Do the bi-flange silicon tips make a difference compared to the stock tips?

I use the small tips as they fit my ear best.

I do have a question though, when it is plugged in and there is no music playing, I hear a crazy amount of static. I take it that this isn't suppose to be normal...

edit: Read that it could be related to the PC, which it is. Never mind!

Esiquio

I use the small tips as they fit my ear best.

I do have a question though, when it is plugged in and there is no music playing, I hear a crazy amount of static. I take it that this isn't suppose to be normal...

edit: Read that it could be related to the PC, which it is. Never mind!

So I just got them and I'm pretty impressed. Definitely got some bass I never heard with my Apple headphones. Trying on the different tips to see which suits me best right now, but I'll probably end up sticking with the ones they already had on. Really impressed by the packaging and all the stuff you get with it.

As far as the static, yeah, I hear that when it's plugged into my computer as well. I have an old, but decent sound card that does 7.1 and other jazz but the signal isn't totally silent, most likely because I'm running it through a 3.5 mm cable, as the optical audio doesn't output very loud. Everything sounds fine once I start playing music, though.

Do these headphones require some time to "break in" or anything? I hear its like that for some types, wasn't sure what to expect.

Aadil

Banned
Sennheiser HD25 or House of Marley Exodus

I've seen you mention HD25 quite a lot, so im really considering them as my next set of 'on the move' headphones.
Whats the bass like on them? And are they quite well rounded for different music types (although predomionantely electronic)
Theres HD25 SPII and HD25-1 II. Whats the difference?

Also anything else thats worth considering?

Whats can GAFs opinion on the HiFiMan HE-400 for at home use?

HD-25s for on the move and the HE-400 for at home use?

andylsun

I've seen you mention HD25 quite a lot, so im really considering them as my next set of 'on the move' headphones.
Whats the bass like on them? And are they quite well rounded for different music types (although predomionantely electronic)
Theres HD25 SPII and HD25-1 II. Whats the difference?

Also anything else thats worth considering?

Whats can GAFs opinion on the HiFiMan HE-400 for at home use?

HD-25s for on the move and the HE-400 for at home use?

I picked up my HD25-I II last month - a few weeks breaking in and for the headband to loosen (they clamp pretty tight fresh out of the box) and they are amazing. Can be driven fine from ipod/iphone to high volume, and they isolate well. Leave them stock for a good while, as a lot of people on head-fi obsess about the steel cable, but it's really not an issue.

I listen to electronic mainly and they are awesome for that. The bass isn't goosed, but when it's there it goes low (e.g. Limit to your Love sounds awesome). Yet to find anything I don't enjoy listening to them with (including classical, rock, vinyl rips etc)

The HD25 SPII are a completely different/cheaper headphone and not as good. Worth saving up for the HD25-I. The 'II' at the end means they come in new packaging, with an extra set of pads (pleather and velour) and a carry bag. The headphones themselves are pretty much unchanged since their introduction in the late 80's.

I like them so much now that I also use them at home instead of my HD560 and HD555's. You'll be surprised!

TheExodu5

Banned
Any recommendations for someone using the Sony wireless headsets (the ones with digital surround) looking to upgrade? 150 is probably the most I'd be willing to spend, but we'll see. I've had these Sony ones for a while, and I'm pretty impressed with them, but I know I can get better. And it is TECHNICALLY a headset, which isn't necessary for this upgrade.

Based on
•I need something comfortable. I am the kind of person who used to HATE headphones. These Sony ones are the first in a while to make me feel comfortable wearing them and even then, I want something more comforting that I can wear for longer gaps without my ears getting hot.
•Better sound quality than my current ones. Obviously.
•NO elastic-y band. I figure most don't use that, but I put them on once and they squeezed my glasses and felt awful.
•Sound isolation. Not that big of a deal. I won't have someone in the same room as me, but there will be someone next door. So I'm pretty generous on this one.
•Wireless, obviously.
•It's a given but something that will carry me from PC to PS3 and (likely) to PS4.
•'bigger head' friendly

I think that's it. Any suggestions?

Just so you don't think you're being ignored, this probably isn't a very good place to ask about wireless headphones. It's pretty rare for audiophiles to use or know much about them.

Septimius

Between the two, it's an easy win for HD800s. They have much better clarity across the board, while the T1 has painful treble resonances and blurred details due to unnaturally large decay and a stabbingly bright sound signature. Basically a one way ticket to high frequency hearing loss.

HD800 is pretty analytical, but sounds amazing with classical music, possibly the best there is for this genre.

I've been going out and trying to understand the difference between the HD800 and the T1, and I can't seem to find something akin to this. First off, high frequency hearing loss is from too much volume, no matter what the frequency. When too much power hits the ear, they damage the hair cells. This is called noise induced hearing loss, and is unrelated to frequency, and is only related to power (dB).

I have found that the HD800 have a bigger sound-stage, but I can't find any conclusive things about 'stabbingly' bright sound signature. But please, it is a bold statement to say that they'll damage your ears, and it did stick with me, before I came to and remembered that noise induced hearing loss is power-related.

I'd just like to get this straight, and say that there is no way the T1 can damage your ears, without you cranking the power too much, and then it'll happen just the same as with any other headphone. So, let's try to refrain from damaging statements. It can deter people from buying the T1 on faulty grounds, but it comes of as kind of biased, too.

I received my ATH-M30s on tuesday and while I really like them I think I might return these to Amazon to get something else. After listening to music for an hour while gaming they start to become uncomfortable on my ears. I noticed when I received them that there was barely any padding for the speaker and my ear rests right on it so it starts getting irritated when I wear it over time.

I'm not sure what I'm going to replace them with. I may spring for a pair of open or semi-open headphones if that helps at all but I still want to go with a closed pair. I want to keep the budget between $30 - $40.

I'll be checking out the OP for suggestions but if anyone has suggestions of their own feel free to post them.

HiResDes

I honestly don't know of a pair of more comfortable closed headphones in the price range, besides maybe the Sony XB500 and those have lackluster sound quality in comparison.

...Hmm, you might like the JVC HA-RX700 more, they have more lush padding, but they get really hot fast.

Top Bottom