• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

I'd go for the Takstar Hi-2050 honestly if they're more comfortable. You'll be wearing them for how many number of hours? It's why I tend to avoid on-ear headphones unless they're portable as I won't wear it long enough for the discomfort to start.

Edit: Scratch that. I rather file a dispute through ebay than some possibly questionable site.

Indeed comfort is very important, but it's hard to say how much more comfortable Takstar is than Superlux 681 Evo or Somic MH463 with ATH-M50 pads.
What worries me about Takstar though is the fact it's pretty light on the bass.
I love a very tight and heavy bass, which makes it feel like I'm getting punched in the face, but not too "boomy".
This is pretty much what dt250 delivers with some bass boost, it kind of feels right on.
I also need clear highs on somewhat high volume, since I have a bit hard time hearing those frequencies.

By the way, you can buy Takstar 2050 for $60 on ebay.

Sucks that I can't go somewhere and try those out.

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se846.html

New Shure flagship. NINE HUNDRED NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS

Got damn am I curious about this expensive ass piece of kit

That's one pretty damn cool design (that it's customizable)

LCfiner

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se846.html

New Shure flagship. NINE HUNDRED NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS

Got damn am I curious about this expensive ass piece of kit

Man, these companies move fast. one company comes out with a $1000 universal IEM and all the others follow.

AKG, FitEar, Tralucent, Ultrasone and now Shure.

well, I'm part of the problem as I'm in love with the tralucent 1plus2. :p (Put my Lawton modded D7000 back on sale because of these things)

Man, these companies move fast. one company comes out with a $1000 universal IEM and all the others follow.

AKG, FitEar, Tralucent, Ultrasone and now Shure.

well, I'm part of the problem as I'm in love with the tralucent 1plus2. :p (Put my Lawton modded D7000 back on sale because of these things)

Apparently Swimsonny thinks the Rhapsodio R^2 universal is as good as the 1P2 at 1/3 the price ($400). A guy I talk to (Soundfreaq) just emailed the company about buying one. He also put in a order for the Ocharaku Kaede/Kuro, and the 1P2. It'll be interesting to see which phone emerges the victor (I hope the R^2 lol)

LCfiner

Apparently Swimsonny thinks the Rhapsodio R^2 universal is as good as the 1P2 at 1/3 the price ($400). A guy I talk to (Soundfreaq) just emailed the company about buying one. He also put in a order for the Ocharaku Kaede/Kuro, and the 1P2. It'll be interesting to see which phone emerges the victor (I hope the R^2 lol)

After reading your post, I just checked HF and read a post by swimsonny about that R2 and he did say it was very close but he said there's a little glare with treble with the R2 - apparently it's only weakness?

I would certainly be tempted to try them but I think I'm more sensitive to upper mid glare/ brightness than most so I'll be sticking with the 1plus2 for a while. At least until some company comes out with a comparable IEM that perhaps skews slightly darker than the 1plus2 while costing a third as much, lol.

I am still really interested in that new VSonic 7007 with the twin BA and the dynamic driver behind them. early CAD models showed it arranged like the AKG 3003. I think they were expecting MSRP to be around 300 or a bit more. Very curious to read impressions about those.

After reading your post, I just checked HF and read a post by swimsonny about that R2 and he did say it was very close but he said there's a little glare with treble with the R2 - apparently it's only weakness?

I would certainly be tempted to try them but I think I'm more sensitive to upper mid glare/ brightness than most so I'll be sticking with the 1plus2 for a while. At least until some company comes out with a comparable IEM that perhaps skews slightly darker than the 1plus2 while costing a third as much, lol.

I am still really interested in that new VSonic 7007 with the twin BA and the dynamic driver behind them. early CAD models showed it arranged like the AKG 3003. I think they were expecting MSRP to be around 300 or a bit more. Very curious to read impressions about those.

Yeah, Soundfreaq got a reply from Rhapsodio this morning. Universal form of the R^2 is ready to go for $400. He's out of money after the Kaede/1Plus2 and I'm outta money cause I just dropped some on a couple of speakers. I think he and I will go half and half on a pair down the line in the name of science. Still waiting it out on the Aurisonics ASG-2, couple of impressions out of the Canlanta meet seem to put them on a par with the JH13 FreqPhase but at 1/3 the cost.

And yeah... Been waiting it out on the Vsonic 7007 for forever now, if its better than the TPEOS H-200 it'll be a hit for sure. Curious about that new Stage Diver 3 IEM as well , it's getting some attention on German hi-fi forums and looks comparable in build quality to FitEar's 334, guy I talk to (Mimouille) is getting them soon and can compare them to 1P2/Kaede/Miracle. I dunno, that Shure flagship aside, there seems to be a rising number of phones in the $400-600 range that can duke it out with $1K+ flagships, that's definitely a good thing in my book

Swim does a little shoot out between the 1P2 and R^2 here: http://www.inearspace.co.uk/inearspace/Tralucent_1plus2_Hybrid_Earphone_Review.html

Geneijin

Indeed comfort is very important, but it's hard to say how much more comfortable Takstar is than Superlux 681 Evo or Somic MH463 with ATH-M50 pads.
What worries me about Takstar though is the fact it's pretty light on the bass.
I love a very tight and heavy bass, which makes it feel like I'm getting punched in the face, but not too "boomy".
This is pretty much what dt250 delivers with some bass boost, it kind of feels right on.
I also need clear highs on somewhat high volume, since I have a bit hard time hearing those frequencies.
That would depend on how much you value some people's comparison of the Takstar Hi-2050 to the Beyerdynamic DT880/990 if you've read some of them. As an owner of the DT990 250 ohm version, if the Takstar Hi-2050 is indeed similar, there's no way the Takstar Hi-2050 will be light on bass. Light bass would be the AKG K271 or the AD700 in terms of quantity and extension. Otherwise, what an inaccurate comparison that's been made. Still, the Somic MH463 are said to be even warmer than the Takstar Hi-2050, so you'll probably like them more as it sounds like there's a mild mid-bass hump judging by that, and you want more punchy bass right? If they're the same price even with buying replacement pads and achieve similar comfort levels, get the Somic MH463. The construction of the Takstar Hi-2050 looks better to me though. Currently waiting on my Gemini HSR-1000 to arrive (supposedly a rebrand of the Takstar Pro 80) before I decide on anything else.

HiResDes

I'm going to cop those Takstar for scientific purposes and because they would be the perfect foil to my Fischer FA-011 I think.

Geneijin

They really do look nice though

113ces.macpredac.jpg

LCfiner

Yeah, Soundfreaq got a reply from Rhapsodio this morning. Universal form of the R^2 is ready to go for $400. He's out of money after the Kaede/1Plus2 and I'm outta money cause I just dropped some on a couple of speakers. I think he and I will go half and half on a pair down the line in the name of science. Still waiting it out on the Aurisonics ASG-2, couple of impressions out of the Canlanta meet seem to put them on a par with the JH13 FreqPhase but at 1/3 the cost.

And yeah... Been waiting it out on the Vsonic 7007 for forever now, if its better than the TPEOS H-200 it'll be a hit for sure. Curious about that new Stage Diver 3 IEM as well , it's getting some attention on German hi-fi forums and looks comparable in build quality to FitEar's 334, guy I talk to (Mimouille) is getting them soon and can compare them to 1P2/Kaede/Miracle. I dunno, that Shure flagship aside, there seems to be a rising number of phones in the $400-600 range that can duke it out with $1K+ flagships, that's definitely a good thing in my book

Swim does a little shoot out between the 1P2 and R^2 here: http://www.inearspace.co.uk/inearspace/Tralucent_1plus2_Hybrid_Earphone_Review.html

Oh yeah, I remember that part of the review now. For some reason, i thought he was comparing it to one of the pricier Custom models.

So, in an earlier post I said I was curious to find something that was close to the 1plus2 but maybe skewed a little darker instead of a little brighter (as the R2 apparently does)

well it didn't take long to find something. The Sony MDR 7550 (EX800 in Japan). I got the 7550 for $180 off ebay, brand new and they're probably the best deal I've gotten for IEMs. I bought them a few weeks ago before I saw the used 1plus2 deal on head-fi. I think they used to sell new for $350 but the MSRP hasn't been respected for a while.

These are extraordinarily good. I owned the Sony EX600 and sold them to a friend of mine. The EX600 were very good but slightly sibilant in the high end and didn't have quite the same texture and details as other high end IEMs like the heir 4ai or the new 1plus2.

The 7550 is another notch above the EX600 and puts the detail level at the same level of the Heir 4ai and is closer to the 1plus2. It's a little darker sounding than the 1plus2 - mids are slightly thicker - to my ears and there is zero sibilance or glare whatsoever even on my most troublesome songs. the soundstage is huuuuge and the bass is excellent with nearly as much impact and extension as the 1plus2.

Compared the heir 4.ai: the MDR 7550 has much more bass impact and similar bass detail and quality level. Has similar mids and treble quality but sounds a little lighter and has a bigger soundstage.

Compared to the 1plus2, the MDR 7550 has slightly less tight bass - it's a little looser and slower. It has a darker midrange and less treble presence. The overall sound loses just a little bit of the transparency and extreme clarity of the 1plus2 so it's not quite at the same level of technical proficiency. But it's not as big a difference as the EX600 vs the 1plus2 and is closer in quality. I love how it nearly matches the soundstage and bass quality/quantity of the 1plus2 - those are qualities that are very rare in IEMs.

I'll likely keep the 1plus2 but at least now I have a sub $200 IEM that I would be very happy using out and about when I might be paranoid about losing the 1plus2 :)

Interesting. I had a convo with another guy who auditioned the 1P2 for a spell (Soundbear) who clued me in on exactly what you just shared: that the 1P2 was basically a 7550 taken to the next level. That sounds like quite the bargain for the level of SQ you are describing. I'll likely gun for the R^2 once I get some more funds going, since those are only a bit more and supposedly on a par with the 1P2. I dunno, I'll wait it out for some more impressions to pour in I suppose. Anyway... I finally, FINALLY harpooned my white whale this morning, snagged a pair of FitEar TG334. I'm really bummed I missed out on the same flippin pair twice in the span of the same week (334 plus 000 cable for $1000!) but luckily a reputed member with a pair contacted me about selling and the rest is history.

I'll probably swap the 334 with SoundFreaq's 1P2 or FIBASS down the line. I guess between the 334, incoming ASG-2 and Flat4 SUI I'm set for awhile. At least until curiosity of the new FitEar Parterre (FitEar Multidriver tuned for an expansive hall like soundstage? Consider me interested) and Shure 846 overtake me, but I'll at least have a substantial bargaining chip in the form of the 334, as those hold their resale value very well due to limited availability. I guess the only phone I really must hear at this point is the FIBASS due in part to their notoriously "ruthless" transparency, of which there supposedly exists no equal (unless we're talking Stax 009 I guess)

Edit: And... Just as I hit send, my subs are refreshed over at HF with the following: http://www.head-fi.org/t/662182/fitear-parterre/15#post_9428389

God damn it. FitEar transparency with a full sized can presentation? Welp.

LCfiner

Ooh, the fitear 334. good stuff. I've read a lot about them. I'd love to be able to compare the 1plus2 against the 334 side by side. Impressions seem to indicate the 334 are darker, slightly more lush and intimate. Be sure to come in here with your impressions.

Ooh, the fitear 334. good stuff. I've read a lot about them. I'd love to be able to compare the 1plus2 against the 334 side by side. Impressions seem to indicate the 334 are darker, slightly more lush and intimate. Be sure to come in here with your impressions.

You live in Canada no? If customs fees weren't a problem I wouldn't mind doing a swap with you if you really wanted to hear them. I sold DigitalFreak my SM64s a week ago and he lives in Manitoba. Told me to mark them as $100, so I dunno lol

LCfiner

Yeah, I'm just worried about taxes. I don't mind marking something under 100 if its a couple hundred bucks. But for something iver a grand I wouldn't want to take that chance - for both our sakes.

But knowing myself, if I see a 334 for sale used in Canada at some point ill probably bite and take a hit on shipping with whatever model I later sell after the demo :)

Yeah, I'm just worried about taxes. I don't mind marking something under 100 if its a couple hundred bucks. But for something iver a grand I wouldn't want to take that chance - for both our sakes.

But knowing myself, if I see a 334 for sale used in Canada at some point ill probably bite and take a hit on shipping with whatever model I later sell after the demo :)

Yeah that's a shame man. Too bad you don't live in the good ol' US of A (well, for the purposes of swapping phones at least)

And lol, give ol' Romy's 334 impressions a read:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/597146/fitear-to-go-334-suyamas-custom-iem-made-universal/180#post_8330943

You know you want 'em :D

OH and Shigzeo wrote some stuff up for that fancy pants Shure flagship here: http://ohm-image.net/opinion/audiophile/2013/5/11/sound-impressions-shure-se846

How's the fit on these universal customs?

Not sure to be honest. I find that with my ears at least, supposed "ergonomic" designs (SM3, ASG-1, SM64, etc.) don't work that well given that the concha of my left ear is quite different from my right. I can never attain a comfortable fit on my left ear with any of those designs as they attempt to fill too much of the ear, leading to a lot of discomfort over time. I hear the ASG-2 is whittling off a lot of the fat from the G-1, so that may be the first of these phones with an ergo form factor that does it for me.

That's really the one thing that is sorta buggin' me about the 334/1P2, is that potential for discomfort, since the housings are actually really large to accommodate all the crazy shit inside. I hear the cables on either the 334 and 1P2 are kinda ghastly too, all function and little regard for form, kinda pisses me off at that price point. I might have to look into a BTG Starlight/Sunrise cable in the future

That would depend on how much you value some people's comparison of the Takstar Hi-2050 to the Beyerdynamic DT880/990 if you've read some of them. As an owner of the DT990 250 ohm version, if the Takstar Hi-2050 is indeed similar, there's no way the Takstar Hi-2050 will be light on bass. Light bass would be the AKG K271 or the AD700 in terms of quantity and extension. Otherwise, what an inaccurate comparison that's been made. Still, the Somic MH463 are said to be even warmer than the Takstar Hi-2050, so you'll probably like them more as it sounds like there's a mild mid-bass hump judging by that, and you want more punchy bass right? If they're the same price even with buying replacement pads and achieve similar comfort levels, get the Somic MH463. The construction of the Takstar Hi-2050 looks better to me though. Currently waiting on my Gemini HSR-1000 to arrive (supposedly a rebrand of the Takstar Pro 80) before I decide on anything else.

I researched a bit more and I'm actually sold on it.
Just like you said, it seems have an enough good sounding bass and if I want to push it some more, I'll just buy an amp.
It's also said that the highs are clean, which I like.
Takstar seems so much more comfortable and well-built.
Thanks for making me reconsider it.

I looked into the Pro 80 a bit, as a possible closed option, but then I found a "design review" and apparently 2050 and Pro 80 use the identical drivers.
Couldn't really justify the $30 price bump then.
Their new flagship, Takstar HD6000, could be interesting though, as one guy claim it's like Pro 80 on Steroids.

airomjosh said:
Just received the Takstar HD6000 and out of the box, I am already impressed. For me, they are worthy to be Takstar's flagship. They are better than Pro80 in all departments. The first thing I noticed is the amount and quality of bass they can give. Very snappy, tight, articulate and goes realy deep. I am sure they will be loved by bass fanatics. Mids are sweet and intimate, but not too forward. The highs are also there smooth and no trace of sibilance. I really love the sound signature that is why I ordered another pair for future modifications. These are my impressions and please take them with a pinch of salt.

$100 seems a bit too much though, at that point it feels like I could just as well rise my budget and buy a more expensive, well-known brand at around $150.
Made an offer at $80 to a guy, if he rejects it, I'll probably just make it easy for me and go for Takstar HI-2050.

I also read about rewiring to dual entry with some copper cable, which seems to push the sound quality even more.
I do love how some people just chop off the cable and put in a jack though, so it's detachable, just like my dt250 (but with a standard 3.5mm jack connection).
I'm too noobish to do this shit, can you go somewhere and ask to get this done?
Can't really think of any store doing this kind of work, even if it's an audio/video store.
Probably a dumb question, since I live in a "small" town in Sweden and most of you don't.

FL4TW4V3

A question for you guys: I already own the Superlux 668B with aftermarket valour pads combined with a cheap 6922 tube headphone amp and I'm looking for an upgrade in the same cost region. What should I go for? I'm between the Somic MH463 with a set of TurtleBeach pads, Takstar 2050 and the EFi-82 MT. Would the difference in audio quality be noticable and do you think it's a good upgrade? Finally for which one would you go for? I'm listening mainly using my iMac and as for genres I'd say mostly Electronic, Metal with some soundtracks thrown in.

A question for you guys: I already own the Superlux 668B with aftermarket valour pads combined with a cheap 6922 tube headphone amp and I'm looking for an upgrade in the same cost region. What should I go for? I'm between the Somic MH463 with a set of TurtleBeach pads, Takstar 2050 and the EFi-82 MT. Would the difference in audio quality be noticable and do you think it's a good upgrade? Finally for which one would you go for? I'm listening mainly using my iMac and as for genres I'd say mostly Electronic, Metal with some soundtracks thrown in.

I'd recommend you to have a look here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread
There they talk a lot about Takstar, Superlux and Somic headphones.

Comparisons between MH463 and HI-2050 which seems fairly accurate: Post 1 - Post 2
Generally the soundstage and bass is better with MH463 and HI-2050 is more neutral with better detail.
I have no idea about the EFi-82 MT.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey GAF headphone crew:

I currently own regularly use both UE 6000 and Klipsch S4. The problem I'm having now is that I've been working out a lot (walking & jogging) and the Klipsch just clearly aren't designed for that (constantly slipping out). Are there any good headphones for this purpose?

I've done both Amazon and Google searches and even the more recommended headphones in this space seem to have serious flaws or are just super cheap so people reviewing them have no standards. Money not really an issue, just want headphones that provide good sound (not GAF-audiophile-level good, but decent, hopefully at least as good as my Klipsch) and don't slip out while exercising.

Talon

Hey GAF headphone crew:

I currently own regularly use both UE 6000 and Klipsch S4. The problem I'm having now is that I've been working out a lot (walking & jogging) and the Klipsch just clearly aren't designed for that (constantly slipping out). Are there any good headphones for this purpose?

I've done both Amazon and Google searches and even the more recommended headphones in this space seem to have serious flaws or are just super cheap so people reviewing them have no standards. Money not really an issue, just want headphones that provide good sound (not GAF-audiophile-level good, but decent, hopefully at least as good as my Klipsch) and don't slip out while exercising.
Meelectronics M6. They're cheap, sound good and I use them for running.

Tantric

Alright, so I think I want to get a better quality set of headphones. I've started looking a little, but hopefully I can get some better guidance here.

Use:
-Long gaming sessions, need to be comfortable
-Positional audio capability would be nice
-Music tastes are mostly rock and electronic, but I like quite a bit of classical when the mood hits me
-Like the bass to be solid, but not boomy
-Only used at home, doesn't need to be portable
-I'd be willing to spend up to $200, but if a $50 pair can do what even better

I plan on getting a external DAC for my PC, possibly the E17. Thanks for the help!

HiResDes

Alright, so I think I want to get a better quality set of headphones. I've started looking a little, but hopefully I can get some better guidance here.

Use:
-Long gaming sessions, need to be comfortable
-Positional audio capability would be nice
-Music tastes are mostly rock and electronic, but I like quite a bit of classical when the mood hits me
-Like the bass to be solid, but not boomy
-Only used at home, doesn't need to be portable
-I'd be willing to spend up to $200, but if a $50 pair can do what even better

I plan on getting a external DAC for my PC, possibly the E17. Thanks for the help!

Do they need to be closed?

HiResDes

I've got mixed feelings on that. At first I wanted them to be closed to block out sound, but I guess it's not a must considering I live alone.

I use open and they are fine unless someone is in the same room as you...As long as there is a wall they won't be able to hear anything coming from them if that gives you an idea of how loud it sounds. Most open headphones sound like a phone playing at medium volume when cranked up to an outsider.

Tantric

I use open and they are fine unless someone is in the same room as you...As long as there is a wall they won't be able to hear anything coming from them if that gives you an idea of how loud it sounds. Most open headphones sound like a phone playing at medium volume when cranked up to an outsider.

What's the advantage, just the more open sound stage? Do you have to have the volume louder for it to "feel" the same as a closed set?

ameratsu

Can anyone comment on the durability of MEElectronics A161P IEMs? A few reviews on amazon say they aren't very durable.

I've been using sub $30 IEMs for years and am generally satisfied, except with durability. I treat my IEMs pretty rough evidently (having them in a pocket back pocket, dropping) so I'd like to know what IEMs are durable and sound good for the price. I'm tired of replacing pairs and just want something that will actually last.

Budget is $100, mostly listen to electronic and hiphop.

HiResDes

Can anyone comment on the durability of MEElectronics A161P IEMs? A few reviews on amazon say they aren't very durable.

I've been using sub $30 IEMs for years and am generally satisfied, except with durability. I treat my IEMs pretty rough evidently (having them in a pocket back pocket, dropping) so I'd like to know what IEMs are durable and sound good for the price. I'm tired of replacing pairs and just want something that will actually last.

Budget is $100, mostly listen to electronic and hiphop.

Get the Hisoundaudio Crystal

or if you want to save money the Astrotec AM-800

HiResDes

New confirmed budget killer IEM:

Astrotec AM-800

ljokerl of headfi said:
LL

Details: Beautiful wood-and-metal earphone from Astrotec
Current Price: $65 from lendmurears.com (MSRP: est $65)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 112 dB | Freq: 8-27k Hz | Cable: 3.9' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 4.5mm | Preferred tips: stock single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (3/5) - Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), foam eartips, and soft carrying pouch
Build Quality (4.5/5) – The housings of the AM-800 are an extremely handsome combination of brushed metal and lacquered wood, with fit and finish deserving of a much higher price point. The cable is more plasticky and memory-prone than the excellent rubberized cord used on the AM-90 model but still resists tangling well and feels sturdy. The strain reliefs, too, are supple enough to inspire confidence in the construction
Isolation (2.5/5) – Average due to the shallow fit and vented design
Microphonics (4/5) – Decent when worn cable-down; nonexistent otherwise
Comfort (4/5) – The wood-and-metal housings are surprisingly lightweight and designed for a shallow fit. Comfort is very good with both silicone and foam tips

Sound (7.8/10) – While the cheaper DX-60 is a passable-yet-forgettable entry-level headset, the AM-800 leaves the lasting impression of a solid all-around performer. It pursues a mildly v-shaped signature with punchy bass and bright treble. The low end is similar to that of the VSonic GR06 – slightly above neutral in quantity, but far from overbearing. There is less impact and subbass depth compared to the VSonic GR02 Bass Edition but better control compared to the Brainwavz M5 and the lower-end Astrotec DX-60, with the latter sounding downright sloppy in comparison to the AM-800.

The bass is quick enough that midrange bleed is a non-issue, and the overall balance is better than with many competing sets. The AM-800 is less mid-recessed than the GR02 Bass Edition and MEElec CC51, for example. The mids are clear and open-sounding, making competitors such as the Brainwavz M5 appear a little veiled and congested in comparison. The treble of the AM-800 is smoother and less sibilant compared to the GR02 Bass Edition but can still get a touch harsh next to some higher-end sets. There is more treble energy than with sets such as the Brainwavz M5—a good thing in my book—and top-end extension is good as well.

The presentation of the AM-800 is on the large side, with an airy, out-of-the head feel. It is a little wider and more spacious than the VSonic GR02BE and similar to the GR06, albeit with a touch less depth. The treble extension helps, as does the lack of congestion typically caused by mid-bass bloat. Overall, while the AM-800 doesn’t quite have the imaging of higher-end sets, it is more than capable enough for its price bracket.

Value (9/10) – The AM-800 is one of the best-looking earphones I’ve come across in a long time, but it’s more than just a pretty face. Average isolation aside, the AM-800 is the total package – well-made, comfortable, and plenty good-sounding. The clear, mildly v-shaped sound puts the performance of the AM-800 in good company with the likes of the ECCI PR401 and VSonic GR06. All in all, there’s really not much to complain about here – the AM-800 is a great mid-range earphone for both first-time IEM users and those seeking to upgrade from an entry-level model.

Pros: Great aesthetics; well-built; impressive sound quality
Cons: Mediocre isolation

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, that's super affordable, I've actually been looking for some iems without a mic too. They all have mica these days.

Servbot24

Banned
They missed the mark on the design, but the price is good. I'll keep an eye on them.

Do you guys have recommendations for running headphones? They have to be either relatively cheap or extremely durable.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think they loom elegant in that photo, I could see them seeming cheap in person though.

HiResDes

New interesting things:

Sony MDR-MA 900

350x263px-LL-f2de1f68_100_0486.jpeg
350x263px-LL-4db36e5e_100_0494.jpeg
350x263px-LL-bab8e43c_100_0489.jpeg
350x263px-LL-a4edd56d_100_0490.jpeg

swbf2cheater said:
Soundstaging was the only reason I was interested in this headphone. As I loved my F1 and HD650...the Ma900 fell way short of both of these other models. Its not small by any regard, its quite large. But, not special. Its not lively or dynamic. But, it is one of the lightest and more air filled I've heard in the past few years. Once again, Ideal for monitor use. Separation qualities are just as good as my HD600, not as good as the HD650, L1 or K550. All of which have more space between instruments, but these all also have a much more thick and heavy sound versus the Ma900 that has an extremely satisfying and relaxing tonality to it.

The Bass on the MA900 is light and forgiving. Earlier here on the forums, I had mentioned the bass as being absent of slam. I was wrong. This is only true at low volume levels and during the burn in experience. Beyond 75 hours, I noticed the bass slam increase. Its the only piece of sonic quality I noticed audibly change over the course of my time with it. Slam can get a bit annoying and pokey if you EQ, if not, don't worry. Slam won't bother you, its on the lighter end without any EQ and through my Bottlehead Crack, which has very good bass all around, the experience was lacking deepness, rumble and fun factor. Sony told me that this set was supposed to have excellent bass due to its revamped Bass Reflex tech. So, why not pit it against my JVC DX1000 and Fidelio L1 since both of these set have insanely stellar bass?

The midrange reminds me of the Sennheiser HD598, which I very much enjoyed. Not too distant, not forward. My DX1000 is forward, the MA900 certainly cannot be expressed as a forward mid range. Depending on your gear, it is very well suited for amplification or sources that are regarded as sounding great with Sennheisers. The sound presentation is very similar. Via my Bottlehead crack ( which is known for being one of the best amplifiers for Sennheiser sound ) paired incredibly well with the Sony. Clarity is just good, not great. The Midrange on my L1 and K550 are noticeably more clear with and without amplification. Its not broad. Vocals are smaller than I expected on a 70mm headphone driver. Yet, one that is also angled, the experience is lacking. Certainly not bad, but do not expect " Giant Killer Midrange "

The Highs are also quite dry. The set all around is "Dry". Thats the best word I can use to describe it. Its not the set of headphones you want to use for listening to music and trying to enjoy it. But then again this is Head Fi. To some around these parts, Analytical and cold sound is a good thing, Dryness is desired by some. Thats great if you enjoy these qualities, I am not one of these people. I prefer a warm and fun sound. Proof that it can be done in the hifi world is in the JVC DX1000. It seems like the more expensive you get, the more analytical things get. Not always the case, but most of the time it is. The more expensive, the harder to drive and sometimes even getting very uncomfortable or heavy. Such is the path to destruction for the future of Audio in my opinion. Lighter, more efficient, easier to use is the way I hope things turn out in the next decade or two. The Ma900 highs have a hint of brightness but not at all harsh or enough to state its annoying. Again, the set is relatively dry and fatigue free all around.

his headphone performed on a stellar level for online gaming and general internet browsing. I would never wear any headphone I've touched for the past decade for gaming. Not even the AD700. The Ma900 bested them all for gaming enjoyment and relaxation. You can wear them indefinitely and never get soar or tired. Clamp factor is very low, it rests on your head very easily and stays cool due to its breathable mesh like earpad and headband fabric covers. I enjoy sitting outside with these headphones on, its a dream come true to have $300 sound quality in a full size headphone that I can literally go for a walk with. Yes, they are open back and leak a ton, but if you are lucky like me, have a deck or porch or similar places you can take walks around and nobody will bother you or even see you, then this headphone is a godsend. It feels amazing to wear the headphone outside. From a front and rear view, the headphone seems so low profile and skinny, nobody would ever think twice to make fun of you! Its great. The cable is also unacceptable, take a look at the Fidelio L1's stellar cable: Fabric laced, tough, detachable, beautiful...the Ma900 cable is generic and flimsy. It can and should be improved.

Overall, the set is one of the best relaxing and monitor headphones out there. I won't be recommending anything else to mixers or engineers in the near future, nor anyone else looking for an excellent gaming and media headphone. It slammed the competition in that regard, however, the set is again so darned dry and boring, I cannot use it for musical enjoyment. The set is not musical to me. But I am sure there are some who love this sound and it offers a great alternative for anyone who wants something more laid back and easy to use. Sony has been doing a fantastic job and I am very excited to see and hear their new gear coming out in the near future. Thank you to Melissa and Carla over at Sony. You both were incredibly nice and professional, thank you so much for the demo and chance to review this headphone for you.

Reid Heath Acoustics 950i

LL
LL
LL
LL

roma101 said:
Bass: Starting with the low end, these give a nice tight bass response without being overpowering at all. Plenty of punch, impact, and decent extension/articulation also. Not on the level of a DT 1350 extension-wise, but for a can that cost 5x less, I was pretty impressed with the SA950i and how they do quite a great job of delivering some nice detail and texture down low. I'd say it's the right amount vs. something like the K81DJ/K518 which I feel overpowers mids and highs a bit. In comparison, SA950i sounds fun, textured and more controlled. I was pleasantly surprised to find how good drums and piano sound on these. Very nice sense of decay and power.

Mids: My favorite part about these headphones. The mids on these are smooth, lush and full-bodied. Vocals sound very rich and there's very good detail/layering in the mids. I find that strings sound great and fairly natural with no fatigue. Love these with rock and acoustic especially but I feel these are a good all-rounder with just about any genre.

Highs: So while there is decent extension up top (I can hear cymbals and other high frequencies quite clearly), there is a bit of roll-off which might give a slight sense of murkiness/lack of air. I find it quite acceptable however because I can still hear plenty of detail up top. I normally never EQ my headphones but just for kicks while they were plugged into my iPod, I boosted the treble a bit and found that the 950i responds very very well to EQ. Plenty of air and sparkle up top.

Soundstage/Imaging: Again, very impressive for a small portable. They've got better soundstage than the HD25 - very similar to the M-80 in this respect. Imaging is pretty decent as well to my ears as I have a pretty good sense of instrument placement around my head.

Isolation: Doesn't deaden outside sound like my DT 1350, but I have to say they isolate pretty well. I would say they isolate a couple of notches below them, which is good so you're also aware of your surroundings. I can easily wear them out and about, on trains and buses and still be able to enjoy my music. The impactful bass also helps in those environments.

Comfort: Very, very comfortable for an on-ear. Probably the most comfortable on-ear I've tried since the M-80 and ES10. They have the right amount of clamp and I can easily wear these for a couple of hours. Not bad indeed. The only gripe I can see people having with the ear cups however, is that they don't really swivel horizontally. This doesn't bother me in the slightest though.

BQ/Style: I think these look and feel more expensive than they are. These could have been priced much higher to the consumer public and I think this is where RHA makes a big statement about what they're about. Not only does the SQ impress at the price point, but it's in an elegantly stylish portable package and looks way better and more luxurious than a lot of headphones at this price point. The only quibble I have that reveals that it could be less expensive are the ear pads. The quality is pretty cheap - it would have been better if they used some better-quality pleather pads. Otherwise though, I could care less. They look great, sound great, and feel great with good isolation. Not bad at all.

So overall, I can't tell you how impressed I am with this little sweet portable that sounds pretty balanced across the spectrum with pretty natural timbre. I think the titanium-coated drivers make a substantial difference in the lush, natural tone. I call it my favorite grab n go can 'cause I constantly find myself reaching for them around the house. They're just so easy to handle and throw in a bag. For a mere $60, if you're looking for a can with great features (detachable, iPhone cable really comes in handy and those features usually tend to come with more expensive headphones) without breaking the bank, that's light, comfy, and stylish (I find them very elegant-looking and I have ALWAYS been a fan of a head-conforming, understated black/silver or plain black cans) then I really feel these will be your best bet. To my ears, these sound better than headphones like the K81/518, RP-HTX7 and the more expensive Philips Downtown just to give a few examples. Obviously, at the price tag these are not going to be the most refined headphones you've every heard but I find myself grabbing these more often than some of my more expensive cans just because they're a lot of fun to listen to while also remaining comfortable, uber-portable and light.

Sunrise Audio Ray

LL
LL
LL
LL

ljokerl said:
The Ray comes in plain-looking cardboard packaging but boasts a plethora of pack-ins, including a very nice hard shell carrying case and all of the necessary cables - a rather long mini USB cord, a short 3.5mm interconnect, and an LOD for previous-gen Apple devices.
The construction of the Ray is simple, but solid. It is similar in size to my Fiio E7, only a little wider and shorter. The finish of the aluminum case is part brushed, part sandblasted. The top of the unit holds a Sunrise plaque underneath a clear plastic window. Two indicator lights signal on/off and charge states.

The front of the amp holds a smooth volume knob that doubles as the power switch, as well as input and output jacks. The rear has only a mini USB port. The unit is well-designed in being able to accommodate two large 3.5mm plugs side by side. The jacks can also handle 4-pole TRRS plugs, which are used by IEMs and headphones with headset functionality.
Specifications

Wolfson WM8740 DAC Chip + TI PCM2706 USB Receiver

Output Power: >250mW (16Ω load); >36mW (300Ω load)

SNR: ≥109dB (Amp); ≥104dB (DAC)

Distortion: <0.001% (Amp); <0.007% (DAC)

Frequency response: 10Hz~100kHz (Amp); 10Hz~20kHz (DAC)

Battery: 1500mAh Li-polymer

Charge time / play time: 3.5 hours / 30 hours

Product Size: 90mm*60mm*15mm (L*W*H)

The Ray is a very simple device &#8211; there are no gain settings, no onboard EQ, and no Coax or optical input. The volume control is the only means of interaction with the amp and there isn&#8217;t even a line-level output jack. I don&#8217;t know if this minimalism is what&#8217;s responsible but the Ray lacks all of my usual portable amplifier pet peeves. There is no audible voltage spike when powering on the amp &#8211; the one that usually results in an annoying loud &#8220;click&#8221; when an amp is powered on or off and can even damage headphones in extreme cases. The noise floor is quite low - with the UE 600, which is one of my most sensitive armature-based IEMs, I can just barely detect a hint of background hiss. Contrast this with the $500 ADL Cruise Amp/DAC, which left me completely cold due to its excessive background noise with most armature-based IEMs.

The Ray&#8217;s volume control remains sensitive all the way down and the unit avoids another issue common with amps that use analog potentiometers - there&#8217;s no channel imbalance even at the very lowest volumes. This is not something I can say even for my iBasso D10. Lastly, the unit seems to be properly shielded from interference and works fine when stacked with a phone &#8211; an issue that plagued older Fiio models, for example. Combined, these factors lead to the Ray being one of the better amp/DAC combos I&#8217;ve tried for use on the go.

The DAC section of the Ray uses a popular chip combination, pairing a Wolfson WM8740 DAC with a TI PCM2706 USB Receiver. I tested it mostly in DAC mode but it had very similar tendencies when used only as an amp. The Ray is quite transparent but pursues a slightly leaner, tighter, and less warm sound than my Fiio and iBasso units. The bass is very clean and quick, and seems to be reduced just a touch when used with earphones that have extremely low impedance, such as the UE600. I still like the iBasso D10 best with the UE600, followed by the Fiio E7 and Sunrise Ray. With the less sensitive UM Miracle, I ended up having a hard time choosing between the slightly warmer D10 and the leaner, tighter Ray, but both sounded better to me than the E7.

Sets with a signature that&#8217;s warm and smooth, on the other hand, pair noticeably better with the Ray. The V-Moda M-80, for example, had the quickest and cleanest bass and was closest to a neutral balance, and thus my ideal sound, out of the Ray. The Sennheiser HD580, too, sounded a little more open and effortless from the Ray compared to the Fiio and iBasso units while keeping the same quantity and quality of bass. This clean, well-separated sound was a consistent trait of the Ray and I liked the unit with all of the headphones I tried. Driving power was clearly plentiful and the HD580 sounded no less effortless than it does out of my full-size Tianyun Zero amp/DAC. In fact, I had no problem using the Ray as my primary source both at home and at work for a couple of weeks.

Wrap-up

In my long-term listening impressions I compared the Sunrise Ray to a Fiio E7 and iBasso D10. To my ears, the Ray easily beats the E7 despite having fewer bells and whistles. And, while it doesn&#8217;t pair quite as well with ultra low-impedance earphones as the D10, it offers a tight and quick sound that paired very well with most of the warmer-sounding headphones I tested &#8211; a sound I actually prefer. The bottom line is that the Ray provides a no-frills listening experience that avoids the common vexations of other portable amps and will likely be replacing my D10 as my primary headphone test bed. Well done, Sunrise.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Uuugggghhhh... the sickness is getting to me and I'm just getting tired of the same experience. Besides by Grados and IEMs I really want some closed circumaural cans but I don't have funds to get them and when I do I should be getting a replacement commuter bike instead. Oh, to be rich...

Septimius

What's the advantage, just the more open sound stage? Do you have to have the volume louder for it to "feel" the same as a closed set?

If you know you'll be using them alone forever(.jpg), then open can be advantageous. Closed will sound a bit too closed, and that's not necessary if you won't be bothering anyone else. They'll be more boomy and boxy, which isn't something to strive for. I like semi-open. It means I won't bother anyone unless I do use louder volumes, and I get away from the boominess without opening it up too much, which might give a too light sound.

I'd definitely say it's a preference thing. Don't worry about noise, as any audio masks lower volume noise (called auditory masking).

A guy at work has open headphones. That sucks. A lot.

Tantric

If you know you'll be using them alone forever(.jpg), then open can be advantageous. Closed will sound a bit too closed, and that's not necessary if you won't be bothering anyone else. They'll be more boomy and boxy, which isn't something to strive for. I like semi-open. It means I won't bother anyone unless I do use louder volumes, and I get away from the boominess without opening it up too much, which might give a too light sound.

I'd definitely say it's a preference thing. Don't worry about noise, as any audio masks lower volume noise (called auditory masking).

A guy at work has open headphones. That sucks. A lot.

I feel like i'm almost ready to get the DT990 Pro, but I just thought of another reason I might not want open. I might be getting a electronic drum kit in the near future, and in that case I could see the passive noise cancelling being an advantage.

What about the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO?

Servbot24

Banned
If I could indulge the thread for a moment, what are some of your guys' all time favorite headphone designs? I want to try my hand at designing and modeling some, and want to start with some good inspiration.

Top Bottom