• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Aaaaawwwwww yeah! Stax 009 in the house. Congratulations. May I ask what you're using as the driver (or amp + energizer) and Dac? Just curious.

Thanks!

DAC is a Gungir fed from an iHifi 960 via optical. Much improved over it's USB performance, mind I haven't got the upgraded board. Seems a good fit for the 009s though, the bass and upper mid emphasis help balance out the marginal glare in the treble without compromising transparency like on a tube DAC.

Amp is a Stax SRM-323S for now, aka the best unmodified amp they currently produce. Does really well with the 009s, not so much with the 007s. You can get them for $500ish though, so it's the perfect stopgap while saving for or building better. I'd probably roll with it for keeps if it had balanced output tbh.

How are you liking dat 1+2?

LCfiner

Thanks!

DAC is a Gungir fed from an iHifi 960 via optical. Much improved over it's USB performance, mind I haven't got the upgraded board. Seems a good fit for the 009s though, the bass and upper mid emphasis help balance out the marginal glare in the treble without compromising transparency like on a tube DAC.

Amp is a Stax SRM-323S for now, aka the best unmodified amp they currently produce. Does really well with the 009s, not so much with the 007s. You can get them for $500ish though, so it's the perfect stopgap while saving for or building better. I'd probably roll with it for keeps if it had balanced output tbh.

How are you liking dat 1+2?

very, very nice. The 323s is a really nice amp - I had one and enjoyed it a lot. At this point, the only way to go up for amplification is to get one of those limited production, hand built units like a BHSE or Liquid Lightning. :)

The tralucent 1plus2 are absolutely incredible. bass impact that's almost like a good full size - think TH900 or LCD2 - with a very wide soundstage and excellent clarity. no veil, no muddiness, very fast and crystal clear. And, thankfully, no sibilance or glare at all. Highs sound very lively and sparkle but there's no discomforting bite to them. And it can be driven to (imo) 90% of its potential out of a tiny ipod nano. so, yeah, very happy with it.

I did have to change the stock cable for ergonomic reasons. that heavy braided silver cable was stiff and micorophonic. I'm using a very pliable and well made Magnus 1 cable now (I had received this free from Heir as a gift to apologize for shipping problems).

I can't recommend anyone spend over a grand on an IEM (or even over $300 considering how good the cheaper stuff like the Philips S2 or Sony MDR 7550 are) but if you already got the money and value portability in any way I would recommend the 1pus2 over full size cans like the LCD2 or HD800.

Waikis

New headphones arrived today...

they are pretty good.

Congrats dude, you will not be disappointed. Still my favorite on ear portables.

Dayum,

I just ordered a stax 007 mk1 which I will pair with Eddie current Electra (whenever Craig wants to ship it....).

Septimius

I feel like i'm almost ready to get the DT990 Pro, but I just thought of another reason I might not want open. I might be getting a electronic drum kit in the near future, and in that case I could see the passive noise cancelling being an advantage.

What about the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO?

I wouldn't recommend them. Well, of course it all depends on usage and desired sound, but the DT880 and DT990 are similar in characteristics, whereas the 770s kind of aren't. They're heavier on the bass and are overall not close to the neutral emphasis the 880 and 990 have. If you do wish to go for closed, there are several other alternatives I'd consider. I had a bout with this when I was figuring what headphones to bring to work. I didn't end up buying them, since I just started bringing my 880s everywhere I go. But I tried everything from M50, 770 and a lot of 100-200$ range. My clear favourite for this type of usage (wearing outside, closed, passive noise canceling) were the Shure 840. They're what, 150$? They sounded good, and while they might colour the sound, at least they do it consistently, and not just an outrageous amount of emphasis on the 20-50Hz, and muddy mids. They were generally heavier on the bass, but in a nice, comfortable way, that gives you a sort of.. Just imagine sitting in a heavy textured couch that you just sink into. It might not be your favourite chair, like these headphones wouldn't be my favourite pair, but damn it's a nice feeling once in a while.

If you are a studio guy, remember that closed is a big advantage when it comes to vocals. If noise bleeds out of the headphones, you will pick it up with a good mic. If you're concerned about hearing your own drumming against the electric kit through open headphones, I think there's no need to worry, even with open headset. Generally, healthy volume (think 40% lower volume than the average music listener uses today) will mask the drumming. I have never played an electronic kit with open headphones, though, so I can't say. I think the 880s would be a safe bet, anyway, for you. They've been my main set for the last 5 years (three iterations worth) and they sound great. The semi-open build will be a nice compromise for all the things you've set forth, and they generally considered to be top-tier, only beat by those pesky 1000$ headphones in many regards.

If I could indulge the thread for a moment, what are some of your guys' all time favorite headphone designs? I want to try my hand at designing and modeling some, and want to start with some good inspiration.

I have two design philosophies when it comes to headphones:
1) Aesthetically pleasing (form over function)
2) Engineering brilliance (function over form)

The first type are the types of headphones that are made to look. Urban Plattan is one example. Sleek design, vivid colours, I love them. I really wanted to get a pair just for their looks, but sadly, after giving away a pair as a christmas gift, I learnt that their sound are just going too far out of my way just for their looks. ATH ESW9A are definitely a pair of this type. What I wouldn't give for a pair of over-the-ear mahogeny-side-covered headphones (anybody know any with wood?). They just look fantastic, and to me they're an accessory more than headphones.

The second type are the types of headphones that are just built to be amazing headphones. I think Beyerdynamic really cover this. Their T1 is the epitome of their design. It's just like they're made by an engineer to be sturdy, be well made, and are just perfected to sound good, with sound first in mind. This is where the headphones just end up being a piece of art due to the engineering feat they are. Shure 840 are "good looking" by the same regard. I'm probably stepping on some toes, but the Sennheiser HD800 never did hit me as beauties. Probably just something about it being different proportions.

I'd say the T1 are a great example where form comes first, and the aesthetics fall into place because of it. And the Urban Plattan are the exact opposite. I just want them because they're of great design. The two things that are present in both of these are simplicity and knowing that the details are what makes it shine.

To see a cross of these two, try the Beyerdynamic headphone customizer, where you can choose the color and materials the parts of your headphones should be made of. You can wind up with some ridiculously sexy headphones there, where you can do that crazy color design on already existing works of engineering beauty.

There are some headphones out there that are the typical over-designed, over-priced, self-alleged avant garde stuff. They just come across as something only someone with too much money and not enough understanding would buy. Like Bang&Olufsen. Don't strive to emulate those.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Any IEM's have a good soundstage like an open full sized headphone and bass like I've heard the IE80's described to have, but with a cheaper price?

LCfiner

Any IEM's have a good soundstage like an open full sized headphone and bass like I've heard the IE80's described to have, but with a cheaper price?

Another option in addition to HiResDes's recommendation:

For big soundstage I would recommend the Sony EX600 or, if you can spend a bit more, the Sony MDR 7550. bigass 16mm dynamic driver delivers great bass and a wide soundstage. 7550 is less sibilant, a little darker sound, and a bit more refined.

But they stick out of your ears and can pick up on wind noise if you use them outside.

Tantric

I wouldn't recommend them. Well, of course it all depends on usage and desired sound, but the DT880 and DT990 are similar in characteristics, whereas the 770s kind of aren't. They're heavier on the bass and are overall not close to the neutral emphasis the 880 and 990 have. If you do wish to go for closed, there are several other alternatives I'd consider. I had a bout with this when I was figuring what headphones to bring to work. I didn't end up buying them, since I just started bringing my 880s everywhere I go. But I tried everything from M50, 770 and a lot of 100-200$ range. My clear favourite for this type of usage (wearing outside, closed, passive noise canceling) were the Shure 840. They're what, 150$? They sounded good, and while they might colour the sound, at least they do it consistently, and not just an outrageous amount of emphasis on the 20-50Hz, and muddy mids. They were generally heavier on the bass, but in a nice, comfortable way, that gives you a sort of.. Just imagine sitting in a heavy textured couch that you just sink into. It might not be your favourite chair, like these headphones wouldn't be my favourite pair, but damn it's a nice feeling once in a while.

If you are a studio guy, remember that closed is a big advantage when it comes to vocals. If noise bleeds out of the headphones, you will pick it up with a good mic. If you're concerned about hearing your own drumming against the electric kit through open headphones, I think there's no need to worry, even with open headset. Generally, healthy volume (think 40% lower volume than the average music listener uses today) will mask the drumming. I have never played an electronic kit with open headphones, though, so I can't say. I think the 880s would be a safe bet, anyway, for you. They've been my main set for the last 5 years (three iterations worth) and they sound great. The semi-open build will be a nice compromise for all the things you've set forth, and they generally considered to be top-tier, only beat by those pesky 1000$ headphones in many regards.

Thanks for this information. You've given me a lot of good stuff to think about. Just gotta pull the trigger now. :)

Just bought a pair of Sony MDR-1R headphones to replace my beautiful pair of MDR-7506s that were stolen last October.

Got them for $250 + tax at the Sony Store. They sound great but the bass is somewhat strong, especially in comparison to the MDR-7506s. The comfort is fantastic and I think the build quality is a little better this time around.

Anyway, pleased with my purchase.

Trojita

Fischer Audio Silver Bullets Rev. 2

I don't see these for sale anymore. Are they an older model?

Another option in addition to HiResDes's recommendation:

For big soundstage I would recommend the Sony EX600 or, if you can spend a bit more, the Sony MDR 7550. bigass 16mm dynamic driver delivers great bass and a wide soundstage. 7550 is less sibilant, a little darker sound, and a bit more refined.

But they stick out of your ears and can pick up on wind noise if you use them outside.

Thanks! I'll look into them.

Joe

i finally got myself a sansa clip (it's so laughably small but in a good way).

do i want to install rockbox on it?

I've got a pair of Grados SR80i for home but I'm needing an IEM for work. The max I want to spend is $100 and I already have two IEM's in mind.

Velodyne's vPulse and Astrotec AM800. The price is attracting me to the Astrotec but the bass response is attracting me to the vPulse. Can anyone offer a recommendation? Or another suggestion?

Trojita

No they are just Russian and a bitch to find, check out noisy motel or just enter Fischer silver bullet v.2 into Google lol

If I could spend more money than this, is there a step up you would recommend?

The IEM's I currently own and don't use much unfortunately are the Shure SCL4 from way back in 2008.

I think I'm always worried about hurting my hearing when using IEM's.

I saw the miles Davis trumpets for 180 the other day online, which is a crazy good price for those iems. Equivalent, but different sound signature with much less micro phonics than the etymotic er4 's that I also own. I like the trumpets a lot.

HiResDes

The IEM's I currently own and don't use much unfortunately are the Shure SCL4 from way back in 2008.

I'd just go with the EX600 if you want to spend more.

consider the new hifiman RE-400.

I concur, but if you really want that elevated bass response also consider the new DUNU DN-23 Landmine

I'd personally swing for the Ex-600 in that price bracket, just cause the presentation is really impressive for the price. The RE-400 has a really intimate, in the head feel to it, whereas the Ex-600 feels more like a full sized headphone with an outdoor venue feel - the way it spreads instruments out, laterally, with adequate spacing inbetween coupled with some degree of forward projection reminds me of that anyway. That and it's got impressive build quality and comes with a surplus of accessories. You definitely won't be left wondering where your money went. Great bang for the buck phones

i finally got myself a sansa clip (it's so laughably small but in a good way).

do i want to install rockbox on it?

Nothing to lose, it's got dual boot in the firmware. I keep wondering whether or not to pick up a 64 gig micro sd or wait for the 128 ones to come out.

Cheers

very, very nice. The 323s is a really nice amp - I had one and enjoyed it a lot. At this point, the only way to go up for amplification is to get one of those limited production, hand built units like a BHSE or Liquid Lightning. :)

I haven't broken the news about the $3800 headphones to the wife yet, not sure how'd I'd retail it if it came with a $5000+ amp :x

The 323s is the little electrostat amp that could, after much listening I can't help but be impressed. It's dogmatically transparent and neutral, yet very smooth and easy going. I don't find it to be lacking in any way, shape or form for the 009s. I'm very, very pleased with it.

What made you decide to leave Stax? Fell down to earth a bit like with the LCD3s?

The tralucent 1plus2 are absolutely incredible. bass impact that's almost like a good full size - think TH900 or LCD2 - with a very wide soundstage and excellent clarity. no veil, no muddiness, very fast and crystal clear. And, thankfully, no sibilance or glare at all. Highs sound very lively and sparkle but there's no discomforting bite to them. And it can be driven to (imo) 90% of its potential out of a tiny ipod nano. so, yeah, very happy with it.

I did have to change the stock cable for ergonomic reasons. that heavy braided silver cable was stiff and micorophonic. I'm using a very pliable and well made Magnus 1 cable now (I had received this free from Heir as a gift to apologize for shipping problems).

I can't recommend anyone spend over a grand on an IEM (or even over $300 considering how good the cheaper stuff like the Philips S2 or Sony MDR 7550 are) but if you already got the money and value portability in any way I would recommend the 1pus2 over full size cans like the LCD2 or HD800.

Yeah I haven't heard the 1plus2, but I keep hearing such amazing things about it that it's hard not to be tempted.

Rule of thumb is that universals generally can't match the sonic performance of customs, but the Fit Ear to Go 334s (another entry in the $1000+ club) are simply stunning. From what I've heard the 1plus2 could be even better still and I'm even more impressed that it can be driven well enough from an iPod Nano.

As you say though, fairly hard to recommend (same with anything high end, for that matter). The Philips S2 are amazing as are the new Hifiman RE-400s, though I'd be cautious about build quality/QC issues on the latter. If I'm not using Earsonics SM3s on the go, I've got $50 Phiaton PS20s and I love them.

Dayum,

I just ordered a stax 007 mk1 which I will pair with Eddie current Electra (whenever Craig wants to ship it....).

Wow nice! You'll love the MK1s with the Electra. I have a friend with that setup and a BHSE, but he prefers the Electra.

Don't forget to post impressions when you get it ;)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Any recommendations for a lightweight pair good for wearing at the gym?

Was looking at these but saw some review suggesting it's not the best for running.

Was looking for either earbuds of over ear ones. Not large headset pair tho.

Probably 60 is the highest I'd be willing to go. Would appreciate any help

LCfiner

I haven't broken the news about the $3800 headphones to the wife yet, not sure how'd I'd retail it if it came with a $5000+ amp :x

The 323s is the little electrostat amp that could, after much listening I can't help but be impressed. It's dogmatically transparent and neutral, yet very smooth and easy going. I don't find it to be lacking in any way, shape or form for the 009s. I'm very, very pleased with it.

What made you decide to leave Stax? Fell down to earth a bit like with the LCD3s?

Yup, it's a good thing that Stax offers such a capable amp for a relatively low price. Although I was always bummed out that I could never pair my old stax stuff with a KGSS which was also decently priced compared to what's out there now. Headamp stopped making them a while ago to focus on the BHSE, of course.

I left stax and other super duper expensive high end large headphones because I finally found a desktop speaker setup that makes me happier. QUAD 12L actives. they are extraordinary. I had never found desktop speakers before that I had enjoyed as much my top flight headphones. I just hadn't found the right ones, it seems.

And since I'm a bit of an early bird, anyway, and head to bed before 10 PM, the times that I need headphones for quiet listening are few are far between. so I downsized the headphone setup at the desk and thought about focusing on TOTL portable sound. I still have a lovely Magnum/Grado can that I'll be keeping and I have a lawton modded D7000 that I am currently trying to sell as I prefer the 1plus2.

Yeah I haven't heard the 1plus2, but I keep hearing such amazing things about it that it's hard not to be tempted.

Rule of thumb is that universals generally can't match the sonic performance of customs, but the Fit Ear to Go 334s (another entry in the $1000+ club) are simply stunning. From what I've heard the 1plus2 could be even better still and I'm even more impressed that it can be driven well enough from an iPod Nano.

I've read quite a bit about the 334. impressions form people who have heard both tend to follow a common theme: the 1plus2 have more bass impact plus sub bass and a wider soundstage but the 334 have a richer midrange and more intimate sound. A matter of taste, it seems.

ease of driving is one reason I'm enjoying this recent plunge into higher end IEMs.

HiResDes

Any recommendations for a lightweight pair good for wearing at the gym?

Was looking at these but saw some review suggesting it's not the best for running.

Was looking for either earbuds of over ear ones. Not large headset pair tho.

Probably 60 is the highest I'd be willing to go. Would appreciate any help

Anything but those, as they have absolutely horrible microphonics and are no longer even a good value at $35

Joe

Nothing to lose, it's got dual boot in the firmware. I keep wondering whether or not to pick up a 64 gig micro sd or wait for the 128 ones to come out.

Cheers
The regular clip can read 64gb and 128gb cards? I was under the impression it didn't read anything above 32gb?

LegendX48

I'm torn between the sennheiser 558/598 and the 449. I don't know if I should bother with the former(s) seeing as they're open or if I should stick to something closed like the 449. Sound leakage is irrelevant, my main concern is if background noise (ie a noisy computer, family, swamp coolers, etc) would ruin everything the 558/598 have to offer or if the 449s would ultimately be the better/smarter option here. Also, I suppose I should mention that they'd be strictly for my desktop pc but anywho, what do you guys think would be the better option?

HiResDes

449s really aren't that great, and those new Sony MDR-MA900 are supposed to be an even better value than the 558s. Why are you so set on Sennheiser?

The regular clip can read 64gb and 128gb cards? I was under the impression it didn't read anything above 32gb?

You need to rockbox and format the card to fat32 (do a google with something like sansa clip plus, 64gig micro sd) and it should be fine.

Cheers

could someone give me their honest opinion on Which headphones is the best out of the Sony V55, XB500 and XB600? They are all a similar price range but I cant decide

Im going to be using them mostly when im traveling to work. I listen to alot of bass heavy music like UK bassline/4x4, bashment/Dancehall, UK garage and hiphop.

Ive heard the XB500 are the best but they look slightly naff and cant be worn for long periods

Ive heard the XB600 are good, but they arent as good as the XB500 and they are of a lower build quailty

Ive heard the V55 are almost as good as the other two but they are cheaper. Ive also heard they are most uncomfortable to wear.

My prorities are :-

Clearest Bass
Comfort over 2 hours
looks
price

Septimius

could someone give me their honest opinion on Which headphones is the best out of the Sony V55, XB500 and XB600? They are all a similar price range but I cant decide

Im going to be using them mostly when im traveling to work. I listen to alot of bass heavy music like UK bassline/4x4, bashment/Dancehall, UK garage and hiphop.

Ive heard the XB500 are the best but they look slightly naff and cant be worn for long periods

Ive heard the XB600 are good, but they arent as good as the XB500 and they are of a lower build quailty

Ive heard the V55 are almost as good as the other two but they are cheaper. Ive also heard they are most uncomfortable to wear.

My prorities are :-

Clearest Bass
Comfort over 2 hours
looks
price

Why are you so hung up on Sony? Well, I guess it's a sort of hard price-range. I was at the Sony building in Tokyo just the other day, and I actually did try out the XB-something. I remember they said "extra bass", but honestly, they were kind of horrible. All kinds of horrible. Way too much bass at the 20-60Hz region, which totally kills the tonality of everything else. If you do want something that brings out the bass more, but still don't sound like the bass going plllrrrrrrrphhhhh over the rest of the song, I'd recommend the ATH M50s. I think it's hard to get into the 60-70$ range, and there might be a lack of experience in this thread, as most talk is about 100-10,000$ headphones (honestly, I'm really envious of your guys with the electrostatic setups).

Generally, I'd say avoid anything with things like "extra bass" labels. That's just a very bad sign. You can always EQ better all-round headphones into your own liking. I just never did get the double dipping in the sense of "my music is extra heavy on the bass, so I need headphones that have extra bass to get even more". But that's just me.

Why are you so hung up on Sony? Well, I guess it's a sort of hard price-range. I was at the Sony building in Tokyo just the other day, and I actually did try out the XB-something. I remember they said "extra bass", but honestly, they were kind of horrible. All kinds of horrible. Way too much bass at the 20-60Hz region, which totally kills the tonality of everything else. If you do want something that brings out the bass more, but still don't sound like the bass going plllrrrrrrrphhhhh over the rest of the song, I'd recommend the ATH M50s. I think it's hard to get into the 60-70$ range, and there might be a lack of experience in this thread, as most talk is about 100-10,000$ headphones (honestly, I'm really envious of your guys with the electrostatic setups).

Generally, I'd say avoid anything with things like "extra bass" labels. That's just a very bad sign. You can always EQ better all-round headphones into your own liking. I just never did get the double dipping in the sense of "my music is extra heavy on the bass, so I need headphones that have extra bass to get even more". But that's just me.

Not really hung up on anything, but ive been told the Sonys are best for bass.

And this is an example of what I listen to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rC_ZqKbzOc

So yeah, without heavy bass.. there isnt much song left lol

I looked at the ATH 50's but there is no way on earth im paying £130-150 (UK Gaffer) for a pair of headphones. My damn ipod didn't cost that much.

I understand where you are coming from, but my logic is I dont want to be fiddling with the EQ setting for every device I own (some of my older mp3 players dont even have a eq) and potentially every song I play. Much simpler to just plug in and go.

what about the Superlux HD681?

HiResDes

I like the JVC HARX700 more than the XB500 by a bit. Superlux HD681 are better all around, but there are semi-open...Also you'll want to get the Samson SR850 instead because of the added comfort.

The Superlux HD440 might be more of what you're looking for anyway

Septimius

Not really hung up on anything, but ive been told the Sonys are best for bass.

And this is an example of what I listen to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCb4KToGX6M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rC_ZqKbzOc

So yeah, without heavy bass.. there isnt much song left lol

But why do you set out to color the song with EVEN MORE bass? There's plenty there to begin with. Normal headphones don't remove bass. Neutral headphones would have more than enough bass with those songs, because bass heavy songs are mixed and mastered to promote the bass. It makes more sense to add more bass to songs that you wish had more bass.

Again, I'd say stay clear of things with "extra bass" labels. To me, it's like an admittance that the other aspects of the headphones will be poor. And these were. Muddy mids, way too little volume at 100Hz, which is funny in 'extra bass' that just drops the high-bass frequencies. Non-existant clarity in the top. It just sounded like the bass distorted everything else, and the frequency response curve was out of whack, and they sounded cheap. I might be too harsh on them, for being what they are, but the thing to take away with this is that they are too hard on the bassiest bass, and too light on the high bass.

Maybe go for some IEMs or something smaller than headphones? I'm sure 70$ can get you some pretty decent IEMs.

I like the JVC HARX700 more than the XB500 by a bit. Superlux HD681 are better all around, but there are semi-open...Also you'll want to get the Samson SR850 instead because of the added comfort.

The Superlux HD440 might be more of what you're looking for anyway

But why do you set out to color the song with EVEN MORE bass? There's plenty there to begin with. Normal headphones don't remove bass. Neutral headphones would have more than enough bass with those songs, because bass heavy songs are mixed and mastered to promote the bass. It makes more sense to add more bass to songs that you wish had more bass.

Again, I'd say stay clear of things with "extra bass" labels. To me, it's like an admittance that the other aspects of the headphones will be poor. And these were. Muddy mids, way too little volume at 100Hz, which is funny in 'extra bass' that just drops the high-bass frequencies. Non-existant clarity in the top. It just sounded like the bass distorted everything else, and the frequency response curve was out of whack, and they sounded cheap. I might be too harsh on them, for being what they are, but the thing to take away with this is that they are too hard on the bassiest bass, and too light on the high bass.

Maybe go for some IEMs or something smaller than headphones? I'm sure 70$ can get you some pretty decent IEMs.

Hmm.. I i will investigate further thanks

Septimius

I'm just ranting a bit, just to clarify :) I would not wish to get in the way of someone's wishes when it comes to audio. I'm a neutral kind of guy. I want a as neutral sounding setup as I can get, to the extent of serious scientific scrutiny.

If you want more bass, I wouldn't stop you if you wanted to get headphones that exclusevly played bass and nothing else in the songs. I think the important thing to remember is that there are options. Maybe we've been told by our brother that heavy bass is important. Maybe we have friends who all use bass-heavy equipment, and that's what we're used to. Surely when we change headphones to some that aren't bass heavy, in that case, they'd sound weak and strange. I used to think my 20$ headphones were the shit. It's funny how quickly we get used to a certain balance of the headphones.

The important thing is to go beyond our comfort zones. Try bass heavy things, try less bass heavy things, try neutral headphones. Go out and try some 200$ headphones. Hell, try finding some place you can find 1000$ headphones. Stores that have them will usually break them and a nice amp out if you do show interest. Maybe you'll find a new world of clarity and details and crisp image sound that you didn't know existed. Try Audio Technica's ATH M50. Maybe they're the right headphone for you, and you want to throw an extra hundred on them.

If you like bass, that's fantastic. But I don't think we should miss out on the details, sound stage or muddy mids to get the most boomy bass we can. I think the M50s are a great compromise to that.

EDIT: Remember that our brains adjust everything. When we go outside, we don't perceive the world as the blue mess it really is. Our brains add more yellow so we get a better balance of color. The funny thing is that if you imagine a device that could add more yellow to the sunlight on a block, our eyes would balance that right back, too. The same thing happens to headphones. When we're used to extra bass, our brains stop being that sensitive to bass, and focuses on other things. When we then switch to lighter-on-bass headphones, our brains don't follow the switch, and suddenly there's not enough bass. That adjustment takes about a week, and it's pretty important to keep in mind. It's like everything in life. If there's ALWAYS extra bass, in reality, there's NEVER extra bass.

Ok on further investigation its a toss up between these two:-

JVC HARX700

Superlux HD440

As they together are cheaper than the Sony's I may buy both but HiResDes, If you don't mind could you be a bit more specific why you feel they are more appropriate? And whats the cons of each?

and Septimus, I really do think you have a valid point, however I must still remind myself that these are only headphones. I don't want to get carried away on such a non-essential item. I will start checking out some of the more expensive brands in the future, but for now, £60 is my budget.

edit: The Lindys look cool, but a bit cumbersome for a commute. Maybe they would be good as indoor headphones.

HiResDes

The JVC HARX700 have better soundstage and sport slightly better treble, both have great midranges, and somewhat boomy bass...But the HD440 is lighter, isolates slighty better, and would work better for commute.

So I'd say the JVC when a close battle in sound quality, and the HD440 when a close battle in intangibles.

...Both sport better all around sound quality than the XB500 to me.

Edit: Actually forget every headphone I recommended prior and get the Creative Aurvana Live, had no idea they had dropped in price even further!

LegendX48

449s really aren't that great, and those new Sony MDR-MA900 are supposed to be an even better value than the 558s. Why are you so set on Sennheiser?

Well I used to have the 448s and heard the 449s are basically an all around step up from them and those Sony headphones are also much more expensive than the 558s. As for why I'm so set on Sennheiser, well... I guess you could say I'm a bit of a fanboy >.> but my concern is whether or not background noise will or will not interfere with open headphones.

Septimius

and Septimus, I really do think you have a valid point, however I must still remind myself that these are only headphones. I don't want to get carried away on such a non-essential item. I will start checking out some of the more expensive brands in the future, but for now, £60 is my budget.

Of course. I'd still recommend trying some more expensive ones. It's fun to try, and then you get a better feel of headphones all together. Just try an expensive pair next time you walk past some in a shop if you can :D

HiResDes

Well I used to have the 448s and heard the 449s are basically an all around step up from them and those Sony headphones are also much more expensive than the 558s. As for why I'm so set on Sennheiser, well... I guess you could say I'm a bit of a fanboy >.> but my concern is whether or not background noise will or will not interfere with open headphones.

These are supposed to compare favorably to the 558s...Background noise does not interfere with most open headphones

Urgh this whole thing is starting to hurt my head. Everyone seems to have a different opinion.

My mate is swearing blind i need the Sennheiser Hd 215

another likes the Koss PRO Over Ear DJ100

I really like the look of the Philips SHL5905BK/10

Sigh.. decisions decisions.

Im not going to buy anything now until ive tested several makes and models for myself.

Top Bottom