• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

Koss Pro DJ100 are the best out of those (it's not even close IMO), fantastic headphones if you're okay with neutrality, but they don't have big bass and sound better amped.

HiResDes

what about compared to the headphones you have already mentioned?

JVC HARX700

Creative Aurvana Live

Superlux HD440

etc...

Creative Aurvana Live are basically the same headphone with better bass, better portability, and are easier to drive....But the isolation and build quality aren't as good as the Koss.

Mononoke

Banned
Currently rockin Audeze LCD-2's and HD-600's.

Using a Schiit Lyr tube amp + Schiit Bifrost DAC.

EDIT: I really want to try Electrostats - but they are too damn expensive - and I hate how you have to order them from specialty shops. I wish Sennheiser would just come out with electrostats again. Although knowing them, they would charge double was STAX is. =/

MormaPope

Banned
I'm a huge headphone noob, just got my first pair of headphones to use as a replacement for anything sound related. Picked up pair of Sennheiser HD 203's and was instantly blown away. None of my friends have a decent sound set-up or a decent pair of headphones.

Simply using the HD 203's without anything else has already shown me the light. I can definitely use tips or consumer input to make my experience better.

I'm a huge headphone noob, just got my first pair of headphones to use as a replacement for anything sound related. Picked up pair of Sennheiser HD 203's and was instantly blown away. None of my friends have a decent sound set-up or a decent pair of headphones.

Simply using the HD 203's without anything else has already shown me the light. I can definitely use tips or consumer input to make my experience better.

bad idea. Don't get into this hobby. It's a horrible hobby.

Currently rockin Audeze LCD-2's and HD-600's.

Using a Schiit Lyr tube amp + Schiit Bifrost DAC.

EDIT: I really want to try Electrostats - but they are too damn expensive - and I hate how you have to order them from specialty shops. I wish Sennheiser would just come out with electrostats again. Although knowing them, they would charge double was STAX is. =/
King Sound stat system that's coming out later is really affordable. $800 for the cans and energizer. Reputedly sounds amazing for the price.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/648624/king-sound-emperor-new-electrostatic-headphones

Ostinatto

my Quincy Jones arrived today, my old akg k240 mkII died for mysterious reasons last week.

pros: better middles, more bass, bigger cable.
cons: they are not so confortable as the K240, i have a big head, does feels a little tighter, could be an issue if you use headphones for a long period of time.

g7CG5W3.jpg

I posted this a few pages back but I don't think it ever got any traction.
I have a pair of mdr v6s that I like and that I've had for about a year. They were my first foray into halfway decent headphones.

Amazon has the ATH M50s for 100.00 right now. Would there be a noticeable jump in quality between these two headphones? Is it worth upgrading?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm not sure that's an upgrade, man. I mean if you're really tired of the V6 sound it might be worth it to keep things fresh, but "upgrade" may not be the word. V6s are a highly regarded classic.

As for me, I'm trying to pick a mid-range closed-back circumaural to work with a Schiit Asgard. The whole point of getting closed would be for something other than what my Grados do, so big reverberating soundstage mostly for bass and sparkly highs.

I'm looking at...

Beyerdynamic: DT-770 Pro
Beyerdynamic T70 P
V-MODA Crossfade M100
Audio Technica ATH W5000
Sony MDR-1R

Three main issues aside from the sound character:

1) What it's like wearing them. My SR 325is are HEAVY AS FUCK and also like to fly off my head if I even so much as look down. I'm tired of that shit.

2) The ATs are probably more pricey than I should be going for, and maybe too good for the Asgard to do them justice. Hopeful on a sale, but I should at very least keep it under $500 and under $300 even better if the quality among these sets is pretty close.

3) I have impedance options here. I don't have to crank my amp very far to get a lot from my Grados, but I'm not sure exactly how far is recommended with the amp. I think a 250 set should be okay but a 600 probably not? It is worth even worrying about differences between 32, 80, and 250ohm cans?

Also I'm not scared of getting cheaper not-famous things if, say, Superlux are a legit value. Cheaper is good if there are no big cutbacks on sound. I'd list Denon stuff but they are confusing the fuck out of me these days. I know nothing about Ultrasone except they are apparently unique/acquired taste?

I'm not sure that's an upgrade, man. I mean if you're really tired of the V6 sound it might be worth it to keep things fresh, but "upgrade" may not be the word. V6s are a highly regarded classic.

Yeah that's what I was wondering. I'm not tired of the V6s but have enjoyed them enough that I would consider dropping a chunk of change to move up a tier. I was thinking 100-150 range if that would do the trick.

HiResDes

Yeah that's what I was wondering. I'm not tired of the V6s but have enjoyed them enough that I would consider dropping a chunk of change to move up a tier. I was thinking 100-150 range if that would do the trick.

Sennheiser HD25 would be more of a complete upgrade.

As for me, I'm trying to pick a mid-range closed-back circumaural to work with a Schiit Asgard. The whole point of getting closed would be for something other than what my Grados do, so big reverberating soundstage mostly for bass and sparkly highs.

I'm looking at...

Beyerdynamic T70 P
V-MODA Crossfade M100
Audio Technica ATH W5000
Sony MDR-1R

1) What it's like wearing them. My SR 325is are HEAVY AS FUCK and also like to fly off my head if I even so much as look down. I'm tired of that shit.

2) The ATs are probably more pricey than I should be going for, and maybe too good for the Asgard to do them justice. Hopeful on a sale, but I should at very least keep it under $500 and under $300 even better if the quality among these sets is pretty close.

3) I have impedance options here. I don't have to crank my amp very far to get a lot from my Grados, but I'm not sure exactly how far is recommended with the amp. I think a 250 set should be okay but a 600 probably not? It is worth even worrying about differences between 32, 80, and 250ohm cans?

Also I'm not scared of getting cheaper not-famous things if, say, Superlux are a legit value. Cheaper is good if there are no big cutbacks on sound. I'd list Denon stuff but they are confusing the fuck out of me these days. I know nothing about Ultrasone except they are apparently unique/acquired taste?

It seems kind of backwards to go closed if you want a big wide-open soundstage, but since you have a decent setup the Mad Dogs seem like an obvious choice.

Septimius

I'm looking at...

Beyerdynamic T70 P
V-MODA Crossfade M100
Audio Technica ATH W5000
Sony MDR-1R

Remember that higher impendance doesn't necessarily mean lower volume. Sensitivity rating is what matters, and simply put, there's the relationship between current and voltage that does this.

In the market for my first pair of good quality closed headphones, $250 range. Friend of mine is recommending the AT M50's, while I see here in the thread the 900x's are on sale for only $40 more. Any suggestions on which or a better third choice?

amnesiac

In the market for my first pair of good quality closed headphones, $250 range. Friend of mine is recommending the AT M50's, while I see here in the thread the 900x's are on sale for only $40 more. Any suggestions on which or a better third choice?

The ATH-M50s are incredible. Can't comment on the 900x though.

HiResDes

Logitech UE6000 would be my pick.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
my Quincy Jones arrived today, my old akg k240 mkII died for mysterious reasons last week.

pros: better middles, more bass, bigger cable.
cons: they are not so confortable as the K240, i have a big head, does feels a little tighter, could be an issue if you use headphones for a long period of time.

More bass, really?

Do you feel it was a good upgrade in terms audio quality?

I have the k240 mkii's and have been considering the q701's but was always apprehensive because I don't want less bass, I'm looking for more clarity in the mid range and more pace and control and tighter base, I'm starting to find the k240 mkii's a bit too warm sounding these days.

HiResDes

More bass, really?

Do you feel it was a good upgrade in terms audio quality?

I have the k240 mkii's and have been considering the q701's but was always apprehensive because some I don't want less bass, I'm looking for more clarity in the mid range and more pace and control and tighter base, I'm starting to find the k240 mkii's a bit too warm sounding these days.

I think the Brainvwavz HM5 would also meet this criteria and they can be had for $65 if get the Lindy or Jaycar rebrands.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It seems kind of backwards to go closed if you want a big wide-open soundstage, but since you have a decent setup the Mad Dogs seem like an obvious choice.
It's hard to explain what I mean. Open makes things wider, but on every set I've heard it's like the bass is flying off into space and I'm just overhearing it's journey. On some closed cans (certainly not all) it feels more like it's coming in on me from walls of a room. It feels more physical than airy, more alive and energetic. Even though technically things are less wide like that, it makes it feel more like it's creating an atmosphere in the sense of a place where things are happening interactively with me rather than just music existing at points in space. It's important to me because I play instruments so that tangible connection feeling is part of what I love in music. IEMs can do this, but there is the complication of shit in my ear and I want the comfort of a headset. Thanks for the recommendation.

Izayoi

Banned
Now I've gone and done it.

fuck05uk0.png

Thanks for the advice a few pages back, guys. Made me really look into the alternatives and these are what I decided on. You also saved me a thousand bux.

I'm excited, in any case. I may or may not have my broken-in DT-880s up for sale after these babies get here.

The ATH-M50s are incredible. Can't comment on the 900x though.

Logitech UE6000 would be my pick.

Any more recommendations? I listen to a wide variety of music, so something that's got a nice balance all around (though if anything, I may prefer a slightly stronger bass than most). Active noise-cancellation is not required, though a nice plus obviously. Most important is something that'll be pretty durable, not necessarily needing to stand up to abuse, but being something that I won't need to replace for at least 4-5 years. EDIT: Also preferably something not requiring an amp or any kind of external stuff. Keep it simple.

So I decided to roll with the ATH-900x's. No amplification, closed, good isolation, somewhat comfortable from what I've read, and a good balanced performance. I've never owned a high end pair of headphones before, though. Will I need to "burn in" this pair?

Ok, I finally took the plunge in to vinyl. I have been putting it off for too long.

I am hoping with a 300$ budget to get a turntable and headphone amp. I was looking a the Audio Technica AT-LP60 or a turn table so ~$200 for the headphone amp unless that turn table is junk.

I will be using Sennheiser HD555 with the setup.

I've been looking for some noise canceling headphones and a lot of people suggest the Bose QuietComfort 15. I've always heard Bose was way overpriced. Bear in mind that I'm not much of an audiophile, so moderate sound quality is acceptable.

Edit: I see a lot of feedback on recent pages. Seems like the sound quality is shit with actives. I just need something to drown on this window air unit in my house. Sounds like a goddamn jackhammer =(

pax217

Thrift stores are a gold mine for record players chec them before paying full price

Yeah, I've seen a million Denon players at my local Goodwill. I want to say I once saw a Nakamichi table there too, but I can't recall Nak ever making turntables. I can't say what kind of working condition they were in, but as far as appearances they looked like they needed nothing more than a dusting.

I've been looking for some noise canceling headphones and a lot of people suggest the Bose QuietComfort 15. I've always heard Bose was way overpriced. Bear in mind that I'm not much of an audiophile, so moderate sound quality is acceptable.

Edit: I see a lot of feedback on recent pages. Seems like the sound quality is shit with actives. I just need something to drown on this window air unit in my house. Sounds like a goddamn jackhammer =(

Have you tried a pair of closed headphones, without any "active noise canceling"? I don't know how loud your A/C unit is, but ATH M50's could do just the trick. The aforementioned V-Modas are getting really popular, too. You should also mention a price range or eliteists like Dynamite and LC will just tell you to buy something made of platinum that costs $150k.

The rule with Bose has been for years "No highs, no lows-- it must be Bose."

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
My JVC HA-S500 just shipped, wtf?? I read the reviews saying how great these sounded but I was shocked to actually hear how good they are. For 40 bucks this is the best deal out there bar none. Wow!

Woah, super happy this thread popped up.

Now I'm not an audiophile or anything, but I do love listening to music and watching my movies with some good sound.

Today I purchased the Sennheiser HD 598. They're supposed to be really good from what I've read.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Was it a wise purchase? Is there anything I should know about them? Thanks.

grendelrt

Now I'm not an audiophile or anything, but I do love listening to music and watching my movies with some good sound.

Today I purchased the Sennheiser HD 598. They're supposed to be really good from what I've read.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Was it a wise purchase? Is there anything I should know about them? Thanks.

I have a set, they have been great headphones. They do well unamped, but really do benefit from amping. The soundstage on them is really good as well. I used to use them for everything, but now they are my Vita and PC gaming headphones. They are super comfortable, I have had long gaming sessions with them, forget you have them on. I picked up a set of HE-500s to take over the music duties last week.

HiResDes

If you have to go noise-canceling Bose QC 15's are one of the best pairs, though they are still a bit overpriced for what they offer.

If you want to save some money and don't care about aesthetics whatsoever definitely get the Rock-IT Sounds R-Shield

Here's a review of them

Would anyone here recommend the Sennheiser HD 558 headphones? I'm mostly going to be using them with my computer for music and monitor for gaming.

I've been using the HD 448's for the past 2 years, and I think that I should upgrade them.

Also, since I'm mostly going to be using them on my iMac and monitor, do I need to buy an amp or external DAC or anything of the sort?

HiResDes

Would anyone here recommend the Sennheiser HD 558 headphones? I'm mostly going to be using them with my computer for music and monitor for gaming.

I've been using the HD 448's for the past 2 years, and I think that I should upgrade them.

Also, since I'm mostly going to be using them on my iMac and monitor, do I need to buy an amp or external DAC or anything of the sort?

All reports point to the Sony MDR-MA900 being better than both the Sennheiser 558 and 598.

x-Lundz-x

Just got my skull candy skullcrushers in today. The white ones, the look awesome and sound amazing. Compared then to a coworkers beats and they are just as good if not better for half the price. Highly recommended.

HiResDes

How about the Audio Technica AD700? I heard those are really good for gaming (for the price at least).

Yeah those are good, but the lack of bass really doesn't make them very fun for games and movies.

Just got my skull candy skullcrushers in today. The white ones, the look awesome and sound amazing. Compared then to a coworkers beats and they are just as good if not better for half the price. Highly recommended.
The only Skullcandy's I'll openly endorse are the Aviators.

I need a headset/mic, for my gaming needs. Thinking about getting the Turtle Beach, since I had used my friends before and I thought it was pretty awesome (apparently they aren't so great, from you guys) So, blow my mind!

My budget, probably $60-$100, it'll be my first pair and for my birthday day which is coming in 3 days. :3

pax217

Yes, and they get better with time (ie. There is no rate of diminishing marginal utility as you listen, and your consumer surplus actually grows over use). They're a staple as far as mid-to-high-end headphones go.

Top Bottom