• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Rich!

So I got a pair of Beats headphones free with my HTC One. They arrived today at my parents house. Can't remember which model they are, only that they're about £150 in retail stores.

Do I keep them or try to resell them? I don't know how good they are, and I already have a ridiculously expensive pair of sennheisers. Would I be able to flog off the beats for a decent price?

HiResDes

Thanks, I think I'll get those when I return these ones. I'll check back in a week or so. If it really is better quality then the kinovo's I was using then I'll keep them for sure.

I learned in communications class that it's best not to hype anything or it kinda sets the expectations so high that even when something turns out to be good it's not good enough, but I really really liked these for the short period of time I spent with them. The call quality is even good.

Hmm... I guess this would be a good time to remind you guys of a post I made

Hmm...

I've been thinking about it, and I think, although it's nice to check these headphones out when I have the time, I think I'd also like some suggestions for headphones that don't (quite) need an amp.

Also... I think I'm also getting interested in headsets lately. If I end up getting a headset, I think I'll mostly use it on my laptop (which uses separate headphones and microphone jacks), but I think I'll be using it on other things, too. (No USB-only headsets, in other words. I don't mind dangling a microphone plug, even if it's not optimal, but if said headset comes bundled with a 2-to-1 adapter... yeah!) Any headsets that are versatile enough to be used in gaming and music without ending up with poor music reproduction?

(Oh, and I'd like to add onto that. Should I stick with getting a pair of headphones?)

HiResDes

Phiaton MS400, House of Marley Exodus, V-Moda M80...All would be excellent choices. I would also suggest the Creative Aurvana Live, but they are a bit fragile.

Ferr986

I was thinking on getting an E7, I heard they make the ATH M50 (what I have) sounds much better (I already love its sound).

Anyone tried an E7 with the M50? Now I have a Xonar DGX, wonder if its worth, the E7 is kinda expensive...

HiResDes

I was thinking on getting an E7, I heard they make the ATH M50 (what I have) sounds much better (I already love its sound).

Anyone tried an E7 with the M50? Now I have a Xonar DGX, wonder if its worth, the E7 is kinda expensive...

Not worth it. Especially if you already have an upgraded soundcard.

Spruce

Neo Member
Which is the better pair of headphones Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO or the Audio Technica ATH-M50? Or is there better alternative in the same 150-200 range. The V-Moda M80 look nice as well hmm. Alot of good stuff out there. What would you guys suggest?

So I got a pair of Beats headphones free with my HTC One. They arrived today at my parents house. Can't remember which model they are, only that they're about £150 in retail stores.

Do I keep them or try to resell them? I don't know how good they are, and I already have a ridiculously expensive pair of sennheisers. Would I be able to flog off the beats for a decent price?

Most definitely.

You can probably fob them off on some sucker for 20-30 under retail price. I would sell them in a second.

Septimius

Which is the better pair of headphones Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO or the Audio Technica ATH-M50? Or is there better alternative in the same 150-200 range. The V-Moda M80 look nice as well hmm. Alot of good stuff out there. What would you guys suggest?

The M50 and 990 are as opposing as you can get them. 990 is open design (the sound will be as loud outside as inside the headphones, more or less) and strives to be neutral and brighter due to being open. The M50 is a closed design, and is rather bass heavy. So it's really, really night and day.

I'm a sucker for the DT880s. They're neutral, semi-open and pretty fantastic. Depends on what you'd like, I guess.

HiResDes

Amped DT990 & Fischer Audio FA-011 >>>>>> M50

M80 >>>> M50 as well, unamped.

provin

Neo Member
I'm considering the Takstar Hi2050 or TS-671. Main use for listening on the computer and Wii U gamepad (Nintendo makes great orchestral music.)

Any ideas? Thanks!

DedValve

Banned
I learned in communications class that it's best not to hype anything or it kinda sets the expectations so high that even when something turns out to be good it's not good enough, but I really really liked these for the short period of time I spent with them. The call quality is even good.

Didn't really hype, I just have limited knowledge with wireless cans so after searching around and constantly being referred to the sennheisers I said why the hell not.

Will probably get it returned within next week and I'll test out the air-fis. Really the only problem with kinovo is that they aren't tight enough so a lot of sound leaks, everytime I push them closer to my ears I really hear the difference in quality so as long as air-fis can keep pressed against my ears they have my money.

I was also looking at wireless earbuds but am unsure about those...how would you even charge them?

Nekrono

Which cans would you guys recommend for someone that will mainly use the headphones for gaming?

I need primarly great audio positioning for competitive games (BF3, etc), but also a bit of bass since I don't only play competitive games, I play a lot of single player games and games that aren't even shooters so I don't want a completely flat sounding headphone.

Secondly they need to be comfortable, I need to be able to wear them for long periods of time (4 hours for example) without them hurting my head/ears.

And third is build quality, they need to last and also have a detachable cable. I don't want to buy new ones because of a broken cable/jack.

So far these are my options:
AKG Q701
Sennheiser HD 598
Sennheiser HD 558
Audio Technica ATH-AD900
Audio Technica ATH-AD700

I can't decide, maybe you guys can recommend me others or offer better advice/experience.

I will be using them with Dolby Headphone Virtual Surround by the way.

HiResDes

Which cans would you guys recommend for someone that will mainly use the headphones for gaming?

I need primarly great audio positioning for competitive games (BF3, etc), but also a bit of bass since I don't only play competitive games, I play a lot of single player games and games that aren't even shooters so I don't want a completely flat sounding headphone.

Secondly they need to be comfortable, I need to be able to wear them for long periods of time (4 hours for example) without them hurting my head/ears.

And third is build quality, they need to last and also have a detachable cable. I don't want to buy new ones because of a broken cable/jack.

So far these are my options:
AKG Q701
Sennheiser HD 598
Sennheiser HD 558
Audio Technica ATH-AD900
Audio Technica ATH-AD700

I can't decide, maybe you guys can recommend me others or offer better advice/experience.

I will be using them with Dolby Headphone Virtual Surround by the way.

Check out the sony mdr ma900 or if you are wealthy and can afford them the http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3QD94O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Echo Six

Neo Member
Check out the sony mdr ma900 or if you are wealthy and can afford them the http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3QD94O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Check out the Soundmagic HP100 (closed) or HP200 (open). Over on the gaming headphones thread at head-fi people are comparing them very favorably with the X1 in terms of sound and build quality while still being cheaper. They do have a removable cable but apparantly it has a locking mechanism on it if that matters to you. I'm just about to order a pair myself. Course they don't look anywhere near as nice as the X1s though. I was very keen on the X1s but got put off by the lack of removable ear pads (and the fact I couldn't find any outside of Amazon).

HiResDes

HP100 don't quite have the bass of the X1 nor the soundstage, but everything else is gravy. I'd definitely recommend going Open for gaming, the soundstage will really help in shooters.

vilmer_

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new pair of canz with a microphone but there are just so many lol. Been using a Razer Carcharias for ages and I'm at the point where I need to switch to something else. Not looking to spend those insane amounts on the HD900's and the like, I'd say I'm willing to pay $300 or so max.

Echo Six

Neo Member
HP100 don't quite have the bass of the X1 nor the soundstage, but everything else is gravy. I'd definitely recommend going Open for gaming, the soundstage will really help in shooters.

Yeah they do edge out the HP100s. If there was a reputable place I could get the X1s without getting stung for a hundred bucks in duty I probably would have given in and bought them instead

So guys I'm kind of weighing up my options here but I'm bad at making a choice

I'm jumping between the Sennheiser HD-600, Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880 and DT990, and the Phillips X1 at the moment. But there seem to just be so many choices out there I can't decide

I want something that will be good for a wide variety of music. The problem I'm finding in the reviews is that a lot of them lack good bass, and the ones that do have good bass lack good treble. I'd love to listen to something like Teardrop by Massive Attack without one or the other being washed out. I don't know if this is just audiophiles exaggerating though, and that the bass or treble issues are something I won't notice at all.

I can't really buy something I've tried out either, as buying online in Australia will get you about $100 -$200 off, so I'll be going in relatively blind (or deaf).

Anyway can you guys help me make a choice? Also I'd like to use it for gaming and music

Shining

Hello headphoneGAF!

I could really use some help. I've been using the Logitech Z-5500 sound system for years along with the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II headphones mostly for gaming. About a month ago the Z-5500 gave up the ghost and i've been connecting my headphones directly to the 3,5mm headphone jack on the TV since then. Compared to the Z-5500 the sound is now really flat and the bass is lacking. So i've been thinking about getting a headphone amp. Is that the best option for me not wanting to invest in a new sound system with speakers/reciever?

My setup is like this:

PS3 - HDMI - TV - Toslink optical out from TV
PC - HDMI - TV - Toslink optical out from TV

Would something like the Mixamp Pro do the trick, or should i invest in something more expensive?

Septimius

Hello headphoneGAF!

I could really use some help. I've been using the Logitech Z-5500 sound system for years along with the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II headphones mostly for gaming. About a month ago the Z-5500 gave up the ghost and i've been connecting my headphones directly to the 3,5mm headphone jack on the TV since then. Compared to the Z-5500 the sound is now really flat and the bass is lacking. So i've been thinking about getting a headphone amp. Is that the best option for me not wanting to invest in a new sound system with speakers/reciever?

My setup is like this:

PS3 - HDMI - TV - Toslink optical out from TV
PC - HDMI - TV - Toslink optical out from TV

Would something like the Mixamp Pro do the trick, or should i invest in something more expensive?

Isn't TV-out always 2 channel sound? If that's your dedicated setup, the FiiO E17 is likely a better amp. That'll make things sound a bit better, not much, but a bit better. You'll get quite the handful of possibilities to connect with the E17, but a bit more with the Mixamp. I don't get what the big knob does, and it seems it'll mix down a 7.1 surround to translate to any headphones? Might be a good feature, might not. I don't know.

To me, there are just too many bells and whistles. Of course, if you rely on voice chat, and you have a mic-wire that you need to plug into a microphone port, the Mixamp can help you out.

To me, the Mixamp has too many bells and whistles. It could be interesting with the surround mix-down, but games that have proper support for headphones do this way better, anyway. Just search up some binaural videos on youtube (try virtual barber shop). So I can't really talk specifically for the gaming aspect of it. I'd definitely not use the EQ provided, it just seems tacky. And boosting bass for media experience? It just comes off as too much catering to the dudebro and not enough audiophile.

If you'll use these exclusively to listen to things, the FiiO E17 is probably a higher quality amp. It'll amplify what you listen to, and nothing else. You can control the EQ yourself.

I use the FiiO E17 with optical (there's an included adapter from TOS->jack optical) for gaming every day. All my gaming consoles -> HDMI -> TV -> FiiO E17 -> Headphones. Pure bliss. I use them at every computer I'm at (work, home, laptops), too. I tried a handful of other headphone amps, and I didn't get a quality difference until I tired the E17, so it seems it'll have you covered both for audio experience, and for connectivity possibilities.

They're about the same price, it seems.

So guys I'm kind of weighing up my options here but I'm bad at making a choice

I'm jumping between the Sennheiser HD-600, Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880 and DT990, and the Phillips X1 at the moment. But there seem to just be so many choices out there I can't decide

I want something that will be good for a wide variety of music. The problem I'm finding in the reviews is that a lot of them lack good bass, and the ones that do have good bass lack good treble. I'd love to listen to something like Teardrop by Massive Attack without one or the other being washed out. I don't know if this is just audiophiles exaggerating though, and that the bass or treble issues are something I won't notice at all.

I can't really buy something I've tried out either, as buying online in Australia will get you about $100 -$200 off, so I'll be going in relatively blind (or deaf).

Anyway can you guys help me make a choice? Also I'd like to use it for gaming and music

I own two pairs of DT880s, and they'll forever be a part of my arsenal. DT770 is heavy on the base, closed, but lacking in the highs. They're not neutral like the other DTs you've mentioned, and lack clarity and a certain audiophile feel. They're more akin to M50 and the sort of good for listening to music-on-the-go type headsets. M50, DT770, Shure SRH840 are in that boat. Of which I think the SRH840 are best. So for that closed, base-heavy, but not neutral and clear sound, these are definitely awesome. The 880 and 990 are what some call "not bass heavy" and I like that. They don't overdo it on the bass, and that's not a bad thing. You'll experience your music in a whole new way, since it'll feel more open and with such clarity. It's sort of like cleaning your windows and realizing how transparent they really can be. The 880s do house music as much justice as electronica, from The Album Leaf to Miles Davis to Pink Floyd, they've never let me down. The 990s are open, so they might have a better soundstage, but I'd only consider these if I knew I'd always be alone when I'd use them. You'd bother people on a bus if you used them out, you'd bother someone in the same room as you if you used them there. DT880s are semi-open, so some leaks out, but if, say, someone's watching TV in the same room where you're playing PC games, it won't be a problem.

Can't weigh in on the HD600

Alucrid

Banned
Isn't TV-out always 2 channel sound? If that's your dedicated setup, the FiiO E17 is likely a better amp. That'll make things sound a bit better, not much, but a bit better. You'll get quite the handful of possibilities to connect with the E17, but a bit more with the Mixamp. I don't get what the big knob does, and it seems it'll mix down a 7.1 surround to translate to any headphones? Might be a good feature, might not. I don't know.

To me, there are just too many bells and whistles. Of course, if you rely on voice chat, and you have a mic-wire that you need to plug into a microphone port, the Mixamp can help you out.

To me, the Mixamp has too many bells and whistles. It could be interesting with the surround mix-down, but games that have proper support for headphones do this way better, anyway. Just search up some binaural videos on youtube (try virtual barber shop). So I can't really talk specifically for the gaming aspect of it. I'd definitely not use the EQ provided, it just seems tacky. And boosting bass for media experience? It just comes off as too much catering to the dudebro and not enough audiophile.

If you'll use these exclusively to listen to things, the FiiO E17 is probably a higher quality amp. It'll amplify what you listen to, and nothing else. You can control the EQ yourself.

I use the FiiO E17 with optical (there's an included adapter from TOS->jack optical) for gaming every day. All my gaming consoles -> HDMI -> TV -> FiiO E17 -> Headphones. Pure bliss. I use them at every computer I'm at (work, home, laptops), too. I tried a handful of other headphone amps, and I didn't get a quality difference until I tired the E17, so it seems it'll have you covered both for audio experience, and for connectivity possibilities.

I own two pairs of DT880s, and they'll forever be a part of my arsenal. DT770 is heavy on the base, closed, but lacking in the highs. They're not neutral like the other DTs you've mentioned, and lack clarity and a certain audiophile feel. They're more akin to M50 and the sort of good for listening to music-on-the-go type headsets. M50, DT770, Shure SRH840 are in that boat. Of which I think the SRH840 are best. So for that closed, base-heavy, but not neutral and clear sound, these are definitely awesome. The 880 and 990 are what some call "not bass heavy" and I like that. They don't overdo it on the bass, and that's not a bad thing. You'll experience your music in a whole new way, since it'll feel more open and with such clarity. It's sort of like cleaning your windows and realizing how transparent they really can be. The 880s do house music as much justice as electronica, from The Album Leaf to Miles Davis to Pink Floyd, they've never let me down. The 990s are open, so they might have a better soundstage, but I'd only consider these if I knew I'd always be alone when I'd use them. You'd bother people on a bus if you used them out, you'd bother someone in the same room as you if you used them there. DT880s are semi-open, so some leaks out, but if, say, someone's watching TV in the same room where you're playing PC games, it won't be a problem.

Can't weigh in on the HD600

Big knob is volume. Unsure if it works with the line out, pre out and headphone out though.

Septimius

It's the fact that noise canceling will end up removing frequencies from the material you're listening to, and otherwise causing unwanted distortion and intermodulation. It's a cool feature for a flight or train-ride, but it's definitely more a fad than it's useful. All constant humming are things our brain can weed out themselves. Used active noise-canceling on the plane ride home from Tokyo. It's sort of like 3D. It's a cool feature, but unless you simply turn it off once in a while, it's as if you don't have it at all.

ngower

Hello,

I'm in the market for a pair of 'work headphones.' I've got a pair of HD555s at my house and I used to have a pair of the Sennheiser Adidas wraparound headphones, which I loved. My job won't let us listen to music at our desks unless it's through headphones (counter-productive if you ask me, but whatever). I'm wondering what people use at their offices? I have a headphone amp at home, but I don't need anything like that. Just something that's comfortable and can be worn for long periods of time, and probably can't be open considering the noise pollution to the rest of the office. Budget's $100-ish, but don't let that limit your recommendations, I just won't be spending $1000 on a pair.

Shining

Thanks for the detailed reply. I think i will be getting the Fiio e17 instead as i won't be using a mic nor Dolby Headphone. Would you say the HD25-1 II's i'm using now is suitable for single player gaming or should i get another ones with greater soundstage? I'm thinking maybe the DT990's (non pro) 32Ohm combined with the E17 would be great for gaming?

HiResDes

Hello,

I'm in the market for a pair of 'work headphones.' I've got a pair of HD555s at my house and I used to have a pair of the Sennheiser Adidas wraparound headphones, which I loved. My job won't let us listen to music at our desks unless it's through headphones (counter-productive if you ask me, but whatever). I'm wondering what people use at their offices? I have a headphone amp at home, but I don't need anything like that. Just something that's comfortable and can be worn for long periods of time, and probably can't be open considering the noise pollution to the rest of the office. Budget's $100-ish, but don't let that limit your recommendations, I just won't be spending $1000 on a pair.

You have a few options in that range:

Jaycar (Link provided because hard to find)
Sennheiser HD-280 PRO
Sony MDRV6
AKG K181DJ
Philips O'Neill SHO9560/28
Ultrasone HFI-450

...I'd probably recommend the Jaycar, unless you really like a lot of bass, then I'd go with the AKG.

Okay how'd I go guys?

beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro.jpg

Beyerdynamic dt 990 pros 250 ohms

images

FiiO e09k desktop amp

ce96a6a6_mixamp.jpg

Astro gaming mixamp pro for dolby surround - for hooking up to PS3 (and PS4 hopefully)

First time buying audio stuff, so hopefully I did well :)

TheExodu5

Banned
Well, I'm now a believe in wireless headphones. I got the Sony Wireless Headset with The Last of Us for $50. The sound isn't too bad...these headphones have the usual gaming headphone characteristics: overemphasized bass, recessed midrange, but the overall sound quality is fine apart from that.

Still, the implementation is great. You plug a USB dongle into the PS3 or PC and it just works right away. There's no noticeable noise or artifacts from wireless transmission. These headphones work as well as any other. The freedom from having wireless headphones is really nice for my current setup. They would never replace my audiophile level system but for general usage I'm loving them. This is making me wish that an audiophile company would make a decent effort to get a good quality wireless headset out there.

Septimius

Thanks for the detailed reply. I think i will be getting the Fiio e17 instead as i won't be using a mic nor Dolby Headphone. Would you say the HD25-1 II's i'm using now is suitable for single player gaming or should i get another ones with greater soundstage? I'm thinking maybe the DT990's (non pro) 32Ohm combined with the E17 would be great for gaming?

I can't say I know the HD25-1 II, but DT880/990 is definitely fantastic. If you need a bit of sound isolation, as in if you game with others nearby, the DT880 is the way to go. Otherwise, you can go wild with the 990, if you feel it suits you better.

Despite the impedance not really mattering today, I'd opt for the 250 ohm version. The FiiO E17 has up to +12dB gain, and vol from 0-60. I use 30-40 on 0 gain with my 250 ohm DT880, so you'll definitely get enough juice for these headphones. Hell, they have more than enough to drive the Tesla T1s too. More than enough voltage in that thing, at least.

The ohm thing is a small difference. I'd say if you know you'd hook these up to a smart-phone for music, 32 is unproblematic, but you have the E17 - you can use it with your smart-phone.

TheExodu5

Banned
Are there any good wireless headphones that I can hook up to my receiver?

Hmmm maybe not. Part of the reason I like the Sony ones I got is that the transmission is done through USB, which means no wireless noise. Any wireless headphones that would work with a receiver would likely use analog RF which wouldn't be immune to this. Maybe with the wireless Astro Mixamp you could turn any headphones into wireless headphones.

Shining

I can't say I know the HD25-1 II, but DT880/990 is definitely fantastic. If you need a bit of sound isolation, as in if you game with others nearby, the DT880 is the way to go. Otherwise, you can go wild with the 990, if you feel it suits you better.

Despite the impedance not really mattering today, I'd opt for the 250 ohm version. The FiiO E17 has up to +12dB gain, and vol from 0-60. I use 30-40 on 0 gain with my 250 ohm DT880, so you'll definitely get enough juice for these headphones. Hell, they have more than enough to drive the Tesla T1s too. More than enough voltage in that thing, at least.

The ohm thing is a small difference. I'd say if you know you'd hook these up to a smart-phone for music, 32 is unproblematic, but you have the E17 - you can use it with your smart-phone.

So i ordered the E17. Excite! But i have come to the conclusion that i need closed headphones. I will drive my girlfriend crazy with open headphones as our apartment is rather small. So i have done some more research and i think the DT770 Pro 80Ohm's will fit me perfeclty for now. They seem to be ideal closed headphones for single player gaming with a big soundstage and great bass. The bass might actually be a bit too much but hopefully i can slightly adjust this with the E17. Further down the road i will upgrade to the premium DT880/990's.

Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom