• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Arkanius

For anyone with the PC350 or some knowledge about it:

I need new Ear Pads for it since they are basically destroyed.
Do I get the PCX 450 Ear Pads or the HD 595 ear pads?

These headphones are closed, and they were modded to give me more bass, I'm afraid that the HD 595 pads (since they are open) make me loss all the gains from my mod.

Shining

So i just got the Fiio E17 amp to go together with my DT770 Pro's. Awesome stuff. Now i also want to connect my speaker setup to the E17. Could that damage the E17? It will be connected like this:

Optical out from TV > E17 > 3,5mm cable from headphone out to 3,5mm input on the speaker setup.

Boston_Acoustics_SoundWare_XS_Digital_Cinema_Bild_Breit_2_670.jpg

Septimius

So i just got the Fiio E17 amp to go together with my DT770 Pro's. Awesome stuff. Now i also want to connect my speaker setup to the E17. Could that damage the E17? It will be connected like this:

Optical out from TV > E17 > 3,5mm cable from headphone out to 3,5mm input on the speaker setup.

No, it can't damage the E17. But why do it like this? The only difference would be the DAC-stage. It won't be a noticeable difference. Anyway, I use my FiiO E17 as a DAC to my Objective2 headphone amp when I'm gaming, and I took a volt-meter and measured at what volume the E17 produced the Line-Out voltage. The E17 produces as much voltage as the ODAC when you set the E17 to Gain +6dB and volume at 45.

So to use the E17 as a line-out device, plug it into the headphone port and set this as the volume. Line-Out is what you want when you're connecting it to any device that can control its own volume, which means that the next stage (the speakers in this case) can handle the amplification.

HiResDes

Fuck I misplaced my Fischer Silver Bullets : ( : (

...They were so so dear to me, and I waited a month to get them from Russia.

...Anyway I'm going to get a new IEM go along with my A161s, to replace the warmth of the Silver Bullets. Any particularly new IEM you'd guys like to see reviewed?

Shining

No, it can't damage the E17. But why do it like this? The only difference would be the DAC-stage. It won't be a noticeable difference. Anyway, I use my FiiO E17 as a DAC to my Objective2 headphone amp when I'm gaming, and I took a volt-meter and measured at what volume the E17 produced the Line-Out voltage. The E17 produces as much voltage as the ODAC when you set the E17 to Gain +6dB and volume at 45.

So to use the E17 as a line-out device, plug it into the headphone port and set this as the volume. Line-Out is what you want when you're connecting it to any device that can control its own volume, which means that the next stage (the speakers in this case) can handle the amplification.
I know it sounds silly but this speaker system (used only with retro systems/games) lacks any kind of treble/bass/EQ settings and sounds kind of muffled. With the E17 it sounds a lot better :)

Septimius

I know it sounds silly but this speaker system (used only with retro systems/games) lacks any kind of treble/bass/EQ settings and sounds kind of muffled. With the E17 it sounds a lot better :)

That's a good enough reason for me. If you can adjust the volume on the speakers, just set it to the settings I mentioned, and you'll be good to go :)

Unicorn

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002D03ZW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So I bought these and finally got a chance to put them on tonight. The foam on the headband and earpieces feels almost like tissue paper - something that feels like it won't last.

Overall, from a quick listen to the WipEout XL soundtrack it is a really full spectrum.

Is there a way to replace the ear pads down the line? I fear the headband padding will eventually be a lost cause.

Edit:

Also, the jack is 3.5mm and I was only able to find a really cheap-ass converter to 1/4". It is fucking terrible. it'll cut the sound to only 1 ear or be grainy. I feel like it is single-handedly hindering my sound, even when I get it to where I think it is good.

Any recommendations for a 3.5mm>1/4" converter? All of the ones on Amazon have pretty terrible reviews since they all seem to be cheapies from China

HiResDes

I had those at one time and found the M30 to be much better overall even though the name might project inferiority. They are just kind of muddy sounding, with decent bass quantity, but little detail.

flippedb

Banned
Tis a little too high for my blood, will wait for the inevitable price drop.

It seems like it's worth the price, judging by head-fi's hands on. I will wait too, mainly because there aren't many units in the first batch and I don't want to be a semi-beta tester, I'd rather get the finished product.

I want to get it mainly because my Clip+'s headphone jack can't take the weight of the cable and plug of my AD900, and the soldering just keeps breaking.

DeSo

Banned
Recently picked up the Shure SRH440s for under a hundred bucks in Australia.. These closed headphones sound almost as good as my ATH-AD700s, I am so impressed with these things.

Reporting in!

I'm a happy owner of ATH-AD700's, and they've served me well for a bit over 5 years now. Paired them with an AudioEngine D1 DAC/amp and they are just glorious.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hey guys

I'm looking for a good pair of closed headphones. My budget is $100-250. I plan on using them for work. I'm looking for mid to full sized, but would I guess rather not be wearing huge things on my head if possible.

HiResDes

Hey guys

I'm looking for a good pair of closed headphones. My budget is $100-250. I plan on using them for work. I'm looking for mid to full sized, but would I guess rather not be wearing huge things on my head if possible.

If you're okay with on-ear, why not just go with the DT-1350

But if you'd rather have over-the-ear, check out the HP100

Trojita

Thanks! I mainly mentioned overhear because I figured it would give the best sound isolation. My reasons for it are two fold, one to make sure other people aren't bothered by the noise coming out of my headpones and two so that I don't hear the annoying breathing of a new person that just got hired.

HiResDes

While you're right in that most on-ear headphones can't compete in isolation with over-the-ears the DT-1350/Sennheiser HD25 are a notable exception. They isolate and leak very little.

Arkanius

People with DACs
I'm thinking of buying my first one, AudioEngine D1

I have a X-fi Titanium (non-HD) on my PC, driving a pair of Senheiser PC350 (They are basically a HD595 with an headset), and my question is, will I really notice a difference in noise and higher quality sound? The DAC will still be connected to my soundcard through Optical cable, since I want to use my Soundcard sometimes for Binaural sound in gaming, but for music, it would be ASIO -> DAC -> Headphones.

I know this is all relative, but I'm afraid of buyers remorse :(

Trojita

Have you tried the DT-1350's at all? I'm just a little worried about the comfortability. The reviews seem mixed leaning on the side that they do start bothering your ears after awhile.

I don't have any mid sized headphones to my collection, so something like this would be cool to have. I have a ATH-AD700, Sennheiser 598HD, and a pair of shure iem's from 2009. I was thinking about getting a new pair of iem's, but I think a mid sized pair will serve me better at places like work.

People with DACs
I'm thinking of buying my first one, AudioEngine D1

I have a X-fi Titanium (non-HD) on my PC, driving a pair of Senheiser PC350 (They are basically a HD595 with an headset), and my question is, will I really notice a difference in noise and higher quality sound? The DAC will still be connected to my soundcard through Optical cable, since I want to use my Soundcard sometimes for Binaural sound in gaming, but for music, it would be ASIO -> DAC -> Headphones.

I know this is all relative, but I'm afraid of buyers remorse :(

I went from a ASUS Essence STX to the AudioEngine D1. Honestly, I am not sure I noticed any difference. Nothing major anyway.
Only really changed because my STX died.

Best thing about the D1 is the portability, being tiny and USB powered, it can be used on my desktop or laptop.

You don't get Dolby Headphone or anything like that though, if that matters.

Mordeccai

I was looking at those V-MODAS and wasn't sure just how good they were. I had a pair of ATH M50s for a year and those were pretty nice cans, anybody know how the MODA and the M50's compare?

Its a damn good price on Amazon right now. $75 bucks is a pretty sweet price point for what it looks like you get with those.

HiResDes

I was looking at those V-MODAS and wasn't sure just how good they were. I had a pair of ATH M50s for a year and those were pretty nice cans, anybody know how the MODA and the M50's compare?

Its a damn good price on Amazon right now. $75 bucks is a pretty sweet price point for what it looks like you get with those.

Crossfade LPs are basically Beats Studios, they're not as good as the M-80 nor M-100. Still that's a damn good value. Crossfade LPs < M50...Vmoda M-80 > M50

Chocobro

Hey guys! I need assistance in choosing an IEM. I commute on the NYC subway and in my mind an IEM will decrease the progress of hearing loss assuming I listen to music at an acceptable volume (correct me if I am wrong). So to make things easier to read and concise:

Music I usually listen to: K-Pop, classical, symphonies, 90s music, some trance.
What I need: Good to great isolation for subway commutes, very low microphonics (I hate them so much!), soundstage, and whatever that matches the genres of music I listen to.
Choices: MEElectronics A151, Vsonic GR06, Shure SE215, and Astrotec AM90. I'm open to recommendations, my budget is $100.

AFAIK, the Shure SE215 provides the best isolation of the choices and the Vsonic GR06 has the best soundstage of the choices.

HiResDes

Edit NVM, that's the AM800

RE400 would be perfect for the genres and sports a pretty good sounstage. The MEElectronics A161 would be my second choice.

VSonic VC02 for around 50

Chocobro

Edit NVM, that's the AM800

RE400 would be perfect for the genres and sports a pretty good sounstage. The MEElectronics A161 would be my second choice.

VSonic VC02 for around 50

I had all of them as potential choices, so maybe your opinions (and those of other GAF members) can push a few higher in my list. I feel pretty bad for dismissing the RE-400 and MEELectronics A161 because of micrphonics. Is it low with the RE-400 worn over-the-ear? How's the isolation? I plan to use them mostly for subway commutes. I know they're different but I used my M50s on the subway two winters ago and the isolation was acceptable (maybe my glasses decreased the amount of ambient noise isolated and it would've been better if I didn't wear them), so using that as a benchmark, would the RE-400 do a better job?

I should probably note that my choices are based on the Multi-IEM Review and a few review threads on Head-Fi.

HiResDes

With IEMs, anything with say an isolation rating over 3 or over on that list blocks out more sound than most closed headphones. I wouldn't worry about isolation unless unless it's really poorly rated or you're gonna be using a jackhammer. If you don't want microphonics wear them over the ear like all the real ballers.

images

I recommended the RE400 and A161 because I believe the level of clarity they bring to the table is superior to the IEMs you have listed, but I will say the Shure do isolate better, almost to the level of being dangerous if you're walking around places lol.

The VC02 isolate almost as well because of their deep insertion are incredible clear, but sport microphonics when worn cable down, so don't wear them cable down.

Chocobro

Thanks a bunch HiResDes; you've been extremely helpful and insightful!

I'm going to order the RE-400 and see how it goes from there.

Random (and possibly weird) question: How is the RE-400 for gaming? It's too hot during the summer to use my ATH-AD700 and I end up using the Apple earbuds.

Got these in the mail today:

The Monoprice 9927, aka the black version of the 8320's. I've never tried the 8320's before until now, but I've heard from Head-Fi and the other audiophile centric places that the 8320's are ridiculously amazing... $10 bucks for something that sounds almost like a $100 pair of IEM's.

And they are correct.

The package was average, just the IEM's and a tiny ziplock bag with 2 other pair of rubber tips. They also don't look decent or "fashionable" if anything, they look like a piece of junk actually. But the moment I stuck them in my ear and I started playing Contact from DP's RAM and I realized what these are capable of. To put it simply, they're fncking fantastic for $10 bucks.

Comfort's not that great, as it can be a little uncomfortable for long periods of use. The stock tips are terrible for me, I had to grab the V-Moda "BLISS 2.0" rubber tips and sat for a while figuring out the best one and even then they still don't feel that great. I'm gonna research and see if I can grab some foam tips or something. The cable quality is great, it feels like a cloth or something like that and it seems durable. But, the cord leading up to the headphones have some really bad cable noise especially if you run your fingers from the headphone to where both the L/R converge. And another negative for me is the lack of controls for my iPhone.

Sound quality though is, again, fantastic especially for $10 bucks. I've only used them for 2 hours with iTunes on a flat EQ so it's obviously not a proper review but I can say that the bass, despite it being branded as a "enhanced bass" IEM, is at a decent level where it doesn't kick you in the face no matter what song you play. The mids are a hair muddy, and the highs, while existent they too aren't as clear as they should be. But they definitely are better than the MeElec S6/M6 and Apple EarPods that I have and that's already an amazing start considering those retail for more than $20.

I'll post a proper review sometime next week if anybody wants me to.

Anyway, if you've got $10 bucks to spare, grab a pair.

Arkanius

The Monoprice 9927, aka the black version of the 8320's. I've never tried the 8320's before until now, but I've heard from Head-Fi and the other audiophile centric places that the 8320's are ridiculously amazing... $10 bucks for something that sounds almost like a $100 pair of IEM's.

And they are correct.

The package was average, just the IEM's and a tiny ziplock bag with 2 other pair of rubber tips. They also don't look decent or "fashionable" if anything, they look like a piece of junk actually. But the moment I stuck them in my ear and I started playing Contact from DP's RAM and I realized what these are capable of. To put it simply, they're fncking fantastic for $10 bucks.

Comfort's not that great, as it can be a little uncomfortable for long periods of use. The stock tips are terrible for me, I had to grab the V-Moda "BLISS 2.0" rubber tips and sat for a while figuring out the best one and even then they still don't feel that great. I'm gonna research and see if I can grab some foam tips or something. The cable quality is great, it feels like a cloth or something like that and it seems durable. But, the cord leading up to the headphones have some really bad cable noise especially if you run your fingers from the headphone to where both the L/R converge. And another negative for me is the lack of controls for my iPhone.

Sound quality though is, again, fantastic especially for $10 bucks. I've only used them for 2 hours with iTunes on a flat EQ so it's obviously not a proper review but I can say that the bass, despite it being branded as a "enhanced bass" IEM, is at a decent level where it doesn't kick you in the face no matter what song you play. The mids are a hair muddy, and the highs, while existent they too aren't as clear as they should be. But they definitely are better than the MeElec S6/M6 and Apple EarPods that I have and that's already an amazing start considering those retail for more than $20.

I replaced My Shure's IEMS that were eaten by my dog with this
Oh I'm so happy.

The price is absurd

terrible

Banned

And they are correct.

I have the 8320's and the cable noise is awful for sure unless you put the wire over your ear (HiResDes's diagram several posts earlier shows what I mean). It's fine once you wear them like that.

I'd say your mini review reflects my experience as well. Excellent value at the sub $10 price range.

Either Ultrasone has some serious quality control issues, or I am the unluckiest guy on Earth at buying headphones. The first pair of DJ1's I received had a connection to the left earpiece which steadily loosened over the first week of ownership until it was making the sound cut out if I moved around while wearing them. I sent those back and got another pair from Amazon, and this pair has noticeable crackling noises when listening to music. It's completely defective.

I'm debating on gambling on a third pair of headphones and hoping I get a good pair, or just giving up and buying another brand. The build quality seems a bit dubious to begin with, even though they cost more than twice as much as my old pair of Sony V6's, they feel much more cheaply made.

It's a shame because these headphones sounded great when they worked.

I have the 8320's and the cable noise is awful for sure unless you put the wire over your ear (HiResDes's diagram several posts earlier shows what I mean). It's fine once you wear them like that.

Interesting. I'll try that and see if it works.

On another note, I found my V-Moda IEM's.

I've been looking for them for the last 2 months and I bought the MP 9927 since I couldn't find them. Cue this past Wednesday morning when I was checking out the pockets of my suit jacket. Lo and behold it was sitting there comfortably since May when I used my jacket for a class presentation.

-________-

Couple of new things to play around with here:

Yu78vku.jpg

Aurisonics ASG-2

120YmUp.jpg

Final Audio Design 1601

Ozr5UZN.jpg

Final Audio Design Piano Forte VIII

That gold phone there? Jesus flippin Christ man. Those things are mind blowing.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
^Holy crap man, I'm so jealous.
If anyone is interested I snagged a pair of J2's on Amazon today for $14.25 usd. Figure that's cheap enough for me to give them a shot.

Down to $6.95, so I grabbed one for no good reason. Well, actually, my RE-400 has developed a short near the plug, and I can't hear through the left ear unless I jiggle the cord. Time for RMA, I guess. The J2 should hold me over. I have had the Monoprice buds for ages, but they are just too uncomfortable for my ears.

The two Piano Fortes are on loan unfortunately. They don't have the greatest genre bandwidth, in fact, some music just sounds plain wrong on them, but for things like vocal, classical, jazz, electronic, some rock? Jesus dude. I have not heard a more convincing phone. It makes some phones I've previously thought to be relatively transparent (FitEar 334, ASG-2, 1Plus2) sound utterly phony and artificial. I can't even explain it, just that the huge vented dynamic driver being utilized is the real deal. It's tuned to emulate a speaker horn system or something, so it's wildly colored and exaggerates certain frequencies to just leap straight out of the recording. The sound is extremely effortless, clear, hyper vivid and open. Again, it does jack up some music, but when it's on, it's on like nothing I've heard and this is straight out of an iphone with mp3s! Now that I've heard a number of representatives from the FAD line, I gotta say, this is likely the most underrated company out there. In terms of raw emotion, timbre, and clarity? They've got it in spades. Pick up something even as low end as the Heaven C and you'll know what I mean.

I'm looking for some budget on-the-go cans and I'm eyeing the Koss Portapro. I'd rather have a closed headphone since I don't want everyone around me to enjoy my music, but I simply like the design of the Portapros. So I was wondering: how bad is the sound leaking? I have a pair of AD700's which leak sound like a sieve and I hope the Portapros aren't that bad.

HiResDes

I'm looking for some budget on-the-go cans and I'm eyeing the Koss Portapro. I'd rather have a closed headphone since I don't want everyone around me to enjoy my music, but I simply like the design of the Portapros. So I was wondering: how bad is the sound leaking? I have a pair of AD700's which leak sound like a sieve and I hope the Portapros aren't that bad.
They leak just as bad if not worse.

Top Bottom