• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Unicorn

JVC HA-S500 are probably the best sounding this range, either those or the RHAs

Completely unrelated, but I looked up an Amazon review for these and it led me to this question about "burn-in" or breaking in headphones.

What's the best, quickest route to getting a new pair of headphones to sounding how they should? They mentioned white/pink noise for 100hrs.

Ashhong

Hey guys I'm back! Can anybody tell me the best IEM from meelectronics for under 20$?

I'm going for MEE because they have a lifetime warranty and my gf keeps breaking her headphones lol

HiResDes

Completely unrelated, but I looked up an Amazon review for these and it led me to this question about "burn-in" or breaking in headphones.

What's the best, quickest route to getting a new pair of headphones to sounding how they should? They mentioned white/pink noise for 100hrs.
Dont worry about that all just listen to your headphones for a while to give yourself time to become acclimated to them.

"Burn-in" is pretty subjective: some think it works, some don't. I'm in the former camp and burn new headphones in for anywhere from 50-100 hours. I use two tracks on repeat; Track 1 is 20 minutes of pink noise followed by Track 2, which is 2 minutes of silence. I set the volume to a comfortable listening level and let the headphones burn in while I'm asleep or at work for about 10-14 days.

I know many people would tell me I'm wasting my time, and burn-in might be a placebo effect, but I believe it makes a difference. You can try it for a few hours and see if anything changes for you, or just use your headphones as much as possible and let your ears get used to the sound. But if you do burn-in, don't set the volume too high or you could cause some irreversible damage.

LCfiner

You know what's annoying? going to the head-fi thread after getting a new set of IEMs, wanting to talk about them and seeing the last 20 pages are about the need to "burn in" a new silver cable.

burning in cables, folks. fuck that noise. that place is bonkers.

Arkanius

You know what's annoying? going to the head-fi thread after getting a new set of IEMs, wanting to talk about them and seeing the last 20 pages are about the need to "burn in" a new silver cable.

Burning in cables?
Bro do you even copper?

Septimius

Burning in a cable? Is silver cables really a thing? Gotta get that 5% less resistance?

God, head-fi is a fucked up place, indeed. The fact that trying to google the issue brings only up forum posts proclaiming what a difference in sound it made, makes it quite obvious that it's not a thing. With braided cables, I can understand a difference in direction. With braided cables, I can even understand a difference over time. Somewhat. I don't know.

But burning in a cable is so unscientific it hertz.

Arkanius

Burning in a cable? Is silver cables really a thing? Gotta get that 5% less resistance?

God, head-fi is a fucked up place, indeed. The fact that trying to google the issue brings only up forum posts proclaiming what a difference in sound it made, makes it quite obvious that it's not a thing. With braided cables, I can understand a difference in direction. With braided cables, I can even understand a difference over time. Somewhat. I don't know.

Braided cables make sense, scientifically.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

You know what's hilarious? Remember that exchange we had about Anakchan calling in mods to "clean up the thread?" Well... He's a mod now lol But yeah, that's 100 percent of the reason why I don't post in several of the threads even if I do own the phones in question. I'm LTTP so everyone's just talkin about cables. That and I don't really get along with the 1P2, which just results in people endlessly questioning my source, my tips, what I'm listenin to etc. etc. There's too much emotion and ego wrapped up in that shit

You know what's even worse? I can actually detect changes when using the Silver/Gold cable that came with my 1plus2. It's the only cable where I've actually noticed something. I don't particularly know what it is that causes it, but its likely increasing the resistive properties of the phone or whatever (by whatever insanely minute degree) The thing is, I only notice a difference on the ES5 and the ASG-2, since both those phones have more note weight to the midrange and bass. It makes the sig leaner by lessening midbass so the whole signature is tighter. It's not night and day, but its noticeable to a degree where you'd be confident to say, "okay, yeah, that's pretty fucking weird."

I actually didn't want to believe it having always thought cables were total bullshit. And in fact, I thought the Silver/Gold cable was bullshit cause when I first swapped out that cable for my cheapo Westone Elite cable, i couldn't really tell a difference. I've basically pinned it on the fact that the1plus2 is so lean as is, that its a, "maybe I hear it, maybe not?" I'm gonna try to buy a 15 ohm resistive adaptor and see if I can't replicate its effects of that cable.

Rin Choi's blog does have interesting information in regards to how phones measure and modifications he makes to "improve" the sound. Only problem is he tends to miss the forest for the trees with his obsession with how phones graph, so he tends to overlook why particular phones are special in the first place. But I guess the stuff he does is similar to converting the ER-4P to the ER-4S, similar principles anyhow

FoxSpirit

"Burn-in" is pretty subjective: some think it works, some don't. I'm in the former camp and burn new headphones in for anywhere from 50-100 hours. I use two tracks on repeat; Track 1 is 20 minutes of pink noise followed by Track 2, which is 2 minutes of silence. I set the volume to a comfortable listening level and let the headphones burn in while I'm asleep or at work for about 10-14 days.

I know many people would tell me I'm wasting my time, and burn-in might be a placebo effect, but I believe it makes a difference. You can try it for a few hours and see if anything changes for you, or just use your headphones as much as possible and let your ears get used to the sound. But if you do burn-in, don't set the volume too high or you could cause some irreversible damage.
Burn is does exist but from emasurements nothing is visible anymore beyond 20 hours. And the difference is mostly in your head, you adapt to a sound signature. Even knowing you burned them in will skew your perception.

I spent so much money on speakers until I learned what really makes a system tick :-\

TheExodu5

Banned

Audiophile "science" just angers me. All to get you to needlessly spend money on thousand dollar cables, amps, DACs, USB cards, etc... Audiophiles try to convince me that a $1000 media player on Mac sounds better than any other media player.

I'm a firm believe in AB testing. Out of personal experience, I see the extra money spent on headphones/speakers makes a big difference. I have a hard time even justifying amps/dacs that are a few hundred dollars because the differences are so minute, and when they're pronounced, I get the impression that the device is just purposefully coloring the sound.

Septimius

Braided cables make sense, scientifically.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

There's a difference between braided and twisted :) Braided would be taking strands of copper and actually braiding them. I guess it might be in the same vain as the logic behind twisted pair, but I don't know.

I actually didn't want to believe it having always thought cables were total bullshit. And in fact, I thought the Silver/Gold cable was bullshit cause when I first swapped out that cable for my cheapo Westone Elite cable, i couldn't really tell a difference.

Well, gold is 54% more resistant than silver. I don't know how that resistance translates to reactance, but a gold cable could quite easily become a filter of some sort, to a 54% bigger extent than a silver wire.

Audiophile "science" just angers me. All to get you to needlessly spend money on thousand dollar cables, amps, DACs, USB cards, etc... Audiophiles try to convince me that a $1000 media player on Mac sounds better than any other media player.

I'm a firm believe in AB testing. Out of personal experience, I see the extra money spent on headphones/speakers makes a big difference. I have a hard time even justifying amps/dacs that are a few hundred dollars because the differences are so minute, and when they're pronounced, I get the impression that the device is just purposefully coloring the sound.

Yeah, I went with the equipment that NwAvGuy made, and I love it, because science. And just look at the opposition he met, trying to fight the ignorance going around in the audiophile community. It's pretty clear that it's turning into a conglomerate of people spending too much money on something they can't explain themselves, and thus clinging on to whatever made them do it in the first place.

And the difference is mostly in your head, you adapt to a sound signature.

This. Soo much this.

My audio engineer professor at uni did a test with us, claiming that burn in is a placebo effect. Now, even audio engineers are pretty split at this, but he had an accurate test that convinced us that it's not real.

He showed up to class one day with two pairs of MDR-V6's... one still inside the UPS box that Amazon shipped him, and the other was a pair that's been used inside the studio for the past 2 years or so. He opened up a Pro Tools session and dropped a flat EQ over it, then ran it to our Yamaha mixing board, and that too was set to a flat EQ. He then let us A-B them over a bunch of songs, but he didn't tell us which V6 was which. Out of 15 people in the class, only 1 guy claimed that there was a difference between both of them... and he mistook the new one for the old one lol. He said the new one sounded much more smoother so it must be the old pair... nope haha.

Sure it's anecdotal evidence, but, anything about burn in is practically anecdotal evidence anyway. Somebody can use graphs or whatever tool to prove that burn in exists, but at the end of the day, it won't matter as your ears adapt to whatever you're listening to.

Either way, I'm of the belief that burn in = adapting to the sound signature and playing white noise over them for god knows how long is an unnecessary thing. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Septimius

I don't have a problem with burn in. So long as it's not a fucking silver cable. Any engineer can understand that the materials will spend a little time settling to their function. It might not be as pronounced as breaking in shoes, but things will expand and contract, shift and figure itself out. So I'm not one to say it doesn't happen. However, how pronounced the effect is, is probably not that much. I'd also guess the first 10-20 hours would be the only place it would be able to change.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think what would have a greater effect than burn in would be that the more you use a pair, the cushions will flatten a bit and the whole thing kind of twists to the angles of your head, and you subconsciously adjust them to be comfortable, and the mix of it all just changes the seal, angles, and distances in the cup to change the sound.

Any which way, I think it's not worth getting too picky about. You do adjust to different sound, your mood can change how you perceive what elements stand out, or if you've been out in the noisy world, etc. Once you get to a certain level of quality, the variables of life take over any importance the differences would have had. Same goes for when you are producing.

Arkanius

There's a difference between braided and twisted :) Braided would be taking strands of copper and actually braiding them. I guess it might be in the same vain as the logic behind twisted pair, but I don't know.

Well, gold is 54% more resistant than silver. I don't know how that resistance translates to reactance, but a gold cable could quite easily become a filter of some sort, to a 54% bigger extent than a silver wire.

Yeah, I went with the equipment that NwAvGuy made, and I love it, because science. And just look at the opposition he met, trying to fight the ignorance going around in the audiophile community. It's pretty clear that it's turning into a conglomerate of people spending too much money on something they can't explain themselves, and thus clinging on to whatever made them do it in the first place.

It's based on the same Maxwell law though.
The principle is the same on the twisting

FoxSpirit

I think what would have a greater effect than burn in would be that the more you use a pair, the cushions will flatten a bit and the whole thing kind of twists to the angles of your head, and you subconsciously adjust them to be comfortable, and the mix of it all just changes the seal, angles, and distances in the cup to change the sound.

Any which way, I think it's not worth getting too picky about. You do adjust to different sound, your mood can change how you perceive what elements stand out, or if you've been out in the noisy world, etc. Once you get to a certain level of quality, the variables of life take over any importance the differences would have had. Same goes for when you are producing.
Oh god yeah, your daily condition can impact the love for your gear so hard. One day you love it, one day you hate it, back and forth. Today too little bass, tomorrow too much.

I still wanna spring for the O2+ODAC combo at one point, just to have reference gear.

lupinko

I finally decided on headphones, after much deciding, I'm going with the AKG Q701s. Going with black even tho the white is tempting. I'll also pick up a Fiio E7 too. Tried them out today and they were marvellous, putting to shame the Sennheiser, Sony, Pioneer, Wilkes and Boothes comparative models.All the while making Beats and similar brands look, sound and feel like garbage.

Picking them up at the end of the month. :D

Burn is does exist but from emasurements nothing is visible anymore beyond 20 hours. And the difference is mostly in your head, you adapt to a sound signature. Even knowing you burned them in will skew your perception.

I spent so much money on speakers until I learned what really makes a system tick :-

I kept hearing numbers like 20 hours, 50 hours, even over 100 hours. I just went "fuck it, just gonna burn in for 50 hours, a few hours more or less wouldn't hurt if it happened." I'm aware about the change of sound being mostly in my head, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to add more burn-in time.

I don't buy new headphones anymore because I'm content with my setup, so I don't really think about burn-in nowadays.

And LOL at the cable burn-in nonsense. Some people on Head-Fi are just crazy.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I finally decided on headphones, after much deciding, I'm going with the AKG Q701s. Going with black even tho the white is tempting. I'll also pick up a Fiio E7 too. Tried them out today and they were marvellous, putting to shame the Sennheiser, Sony, Pioneer, Wilkes and Boothes comparative models.All the while making Beats and similar brands look, sound and feel like garbage.

Picking them up at the end of the month. :D

Nah, you want to get the updated version, the Fiio E70K. Same price, better sound.

Septimius

Oh god yeah, your daily condition can impact the love for your gear so hard. One day you love it, one day you hate it, back and forth. Today too little bass, tomorrow too much.

I still wanna spring for the O2+ODAC combo at one point, just to have reference gear.

The O2+ODAC is a no-brainer for any serious headophile. Not to say that if you don't invest that kind of money you're lesser than anyone, despite what head-fi might have you think. The build-quality on the JDS labs one is superb. It might not look like audiophile equipment, but I really respect what NwAvGuy did to the audiophile community, before sadly disappearing. If you're considering spending that amount or more on amp/dac, there really is no justification for not getting O2+ODAC. The things it's been measured against it beats or is equal to (only fully equal to the several thousand dollar DAC1 from Benchmark).

To me, I could understand wanting a certain color from the headphones. But amp and DAC should always always always be perfectly transparent. And the ODAC and O2 is exactly that. And they rock. Really.

Hello again HeadphoneGAF. Sorry to interrupt your discussion (which is interesting to read) but my girlfriend is looking for some headphones so I'm looking for some advice.

She wants some closed ear headphones under $100 that are noise cancelling (I know, I know). Because it will be used with a laptop it needs to not need much to drive it. Suggestions?

Septimius

Hello again HeadphoneGAF. Sorry to interrupt your discussion (which is interesting to read) but my girlfriend is looking for some headphones so I'm looking for some advice.

She wants some closed ear headphones under $100 that are noise cancelling (I know, I know). Because it will be used with a laptop it needs to not need much to drive it. Suggestions?

Really, do you know about the noise cancelling? Because if you did, you'd have talked her out of it. You know how mp3 works? Masking noise? The idea is that your ear is literally unable to hear something that's a lot more quiet than the loudest thing you hear. Transfer this to most settings where you're listening to music, outside of a mall or a tram or bus, and your music will actually noise-cancel for you. Get some closed ones and the isolation is even better. I'd recommend against it, as below $100 and noise cancelling is a risky business. I know some just don't cancel anything.

Anyway, I did pick up some Pioneer SE-NC70S at an airport on my way home from my last long flight. They're, what, 50$? 70$? They're lopsided to the bass, in my view, and lack a bit in the top, but they're flat lop-sided, which still is much better than the Beat By Dre, as a comparison, because they just poop out bass and don't give a shit how unflat the frequency response graph is.

The noise-cancelling worked fantastic on my flight home, so I can really recommend them for an air travel set. They actually sound OK, which is also a complete gamble in this budget range. As I said, it's too heavy on the bass and falls short on the highs, but it's a comfortable bass, so it sits nice. The fact that it's not completely overdoing the mids or something is what makes these somewhat good.

That's about what I know about noise cancelling headphones. Other than the fact that they'll forever alter my music, and I'll be staying away from them. I mean, I love them for airplanes, but nothing else.

Really, do you know about the noise cancelling? Because if you did, you'd have talked her out of it. You know how mp3 works? Masking noise? The idea is that your ear is literally unable to hear something that's a lot more quiet than the loudest thing you hear. Transfer this to most settings where you're listening to music, outside of a mall or a tram or bus, and your music will actually noise-cancel for you. Get some closed ones and the isolation is even better. I'd recommend against it, as below $100 and noise cancelling is a risky business. I know some just don't cancel anything.

Anyway, I did pick up some Pioneer SE-NC70S at an airport on my way home from my last long flight. They're, what, 50$? 70$? They're lopsided to the bass, in my view, and lack a bit in the top, but they're flat lop-sided, which still is much better than the Beat By Dre, as a comparison, because they just poop out bass and don't give a shit how unflat the frequency response graph is.

The noise-cancelling worked fantastic on my flight home, so I can really recommend them for an air travel set. They actually sound OK, which is also a complete gamble in this budget range. As I said, it's too heavy on the bass and falls short on the highs, but it's a comfortable bass, so it sits nice. The fact that it's not completely overdoing the mids or something is what makes these somewhat good.

That's about what I know about noise cancelling headphones. Other than the fact that they'll forever alter my music, and I'll be staying away from them. I mean, I love them for airplanes, but nothing else.

Haha, ease up! I've told her how it destroys sound quality, will make them needlessly more expensive and isn't worth it. She doesn't want crap headphones but doesn't think my Ultrasone 580's do a good enough job blocking out sound. To her, noise cancelling headphones will work unless she hears the difference from other headphones which she can't without buying them (we don't have any stores in the area with higher quality stuff).

I'll keep the suggestion about the Pioneers in mind since it will be a little bit before we buy something. Other or more suggestions based on this new info is welcome for sure.

Septimius

Yeah, I'm just so tired of this noise cancelling fad. People buy those ridiculously expensive Bose headphones that do not sound great, miles away from the DT880 at 60% the price, and go "yaay, noise cancelling". It's useless for most people, so it's just one of those things that annoys me that people think they need.

HiResDes

Exactly you're going to pay a premium price for a feature that tarnishes clarity. So much that they aren't virtually any decent noise canceling headphones for under $100.

Unicorn

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002D03ZW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I posted earlier about this, but was able to get these for about 45$.

I'd really like to replace the pads, but:
1. Don't know what to get.
2. Don't entirely know how to do it.
3. I guess my ears are large, since the stock pads leave little room for my ears to be comfortable.

Currently running these through a 1/8" adapter that is shit, but until I set something up with a 1/4" port or find a better adapter, I'm sort of bottlenecked now.

I'm hoping for a few closed headphone recommendations for an upcoming trip involving 14-hour plane rides. My usual headphones are quarter modded Grado SR-60s from 2004 or so, and I absolutely love the Grado sound - enough to have them repaired when the cable's Y broke a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, they let in too much noise for such a long plane ride, so I need something else - and since it's been so long since I bought myself headphones, I'm willing to go up to $200 or so.

In the time I've been using my SR-60s, I've bought my brother two pairs of closed headphones (since I'm into this stuff and he isn't, he lets me handle his listening hardware): ATH-A700s and ATH-M50s. I like both of these, but not nearly as much as my (cheaper) Grados, which seem to me to have better instrument separation and soundstage and even better bass (I know that sounds crazy). I haven't listened to the A700s in a while - he broke them, and I fixed them by soldering on another plug, and then they were too "ugly" and he wanted something else - but I got a chance to listen to the M50s when I visited him this past weekend. They sounded dark and muddy compared to my bright, open Grados. I had a pair of Sony MDR-D22s (the cheaper Eggos) that were alright before the cables frayed, but kind of puny if not exactly tinny.

I had been planning on getting a pair of M50s for myself, but now that I've heard them I'm really looking for other options. What I'd love to do is get a higher-end Grado or try out some Sennheiser HD595/HD598s, but I really need closed cans for this trip around the world. When I'm at home I use a Fiio E10 DAC/amp but I don't have a portable amp.

Any ideas?

LCfiner

Consider the Sennheiser HD 25 1-II. It has an exciting sound like grados. Not exactly the same as it emphasizes treble more than mids, but it's generally a lively sound. plus it isolates very well

if you can get a used Amperior (like the HD 25 but a bit more refined) go for that. It's out of your budget when new but can sometimes be found used for ~200

lupinko

I seriously have not been this excited for a product since the PS3 way back in 2006, so much hype for me on the AKG Q701.

I'm planning on getting it along with a Fiio E07k and a Fiio HS1. I'm going to find out if the local specialty headphone store can give me a discount or deal or something.

If not, I'm still getting a good deal/comparable prices.

I've been reading/watching reviews and promo stuff on it lately too. lol

Pie Lord

Any suggestions for a pair of IEMs in the $50 dollar range? I'd be using them for general audio on my laptop and a bit of music (mostly classic rock) on my phone.

I just grabbed an E17 for ~90 and I really dig they way it matches up with my KH-K1000s.

Does anyone else on here have the same pair of cans?

My Sen555s broke on the right side.

That is the plastic cracked in two near the joint. I had it taped but that's falling apart.

What should I use to fix it. I was thinking rubber cement.

Halp?

GBONZZZZ

Does anybody own a pair of Yurbuds Ironman inspire limited editions? I'm thinking of buying some for the gym and I'm wondering how good the sound quality is. They're half off right now where I work.

andylsun

I'm hoping for a few closed headphone recommendations for an upcoming trip involving 14-hour plane rides. My usual headphones are quarter modded Grado SR-60s from 2004 or so, and I absolutely love the Grado sound - enough to have them repaired when the cable's Y broke a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, they let in too much noise for such a long plane ride, so I need something else - and since it's been so long since I bought myself headphones, I'm willing to go up to $200 or so.

In the time I've been using my SR-60s, I've bought my brother two pairs of closed headphones (since I'm into this stuff and he isn't, he lets me handle his listening hardware): ATH-A700s and ATH-M50s. I like both of these, but not nearly as much as my (cheaper) Grados, which seem to me to have better instrument separation and soundstage and even better bass (I know that sounds crazy). I haven't listened to the A700s in a while - he broke them, and I fixed them by soldering on another plug, and then they were too "ugly" and he wanted something else - but I got a chance to listen to the M50s when I visited him this past weekend. They sounded dark and muddy compared to my bright, open Grados. I had a pair of Sony MDR-D22s (the cheaper Eggos) that were alright before the cables frayed, but kind of puny if not exactly tinny.

I had been planning on getting a pair of M50s for myself, but now that I've heard them I'm really looking for other options. What I'd love to do is get a higher-end Grado or try out some Sennheiser HD595/HD598s, but I really need closed cans for this trip around the world. When I'm at home I use a Fiio E10 DAC/amp but I don't have a portable amp.

Any ideas?

I'd also recommend the Sennheiser HD-25-i. They do take a few weeks to loosen up though. Mine clamped tight until I'd had them for a month and are now lovely. Don't know if I'd want to use them for a 14 hour flight straight out of the box, but now I would. Took them on a flight last week, in fact.

scottzorus

Neo Member
Looking for a pair of IEM's to use with my computer when listening to music and playing games
Right now I have a pair of Logitech G930's, but for some reason they hurt the top of my head where they are resting. Has anyone else experienced this with headphones? That's kind of a big part why I want to go IEM, but not opposed to over the ear headphones if they wouldn't hurt my head.
Looking for something that will give me great sound from all directions when playing a game and the rest of the room won't hear it; for under $200

Thanks

suko_32

My Beyer DT 880 Premium came in today from Amazon Warehouse...but the right side doesn't work. That said from what I can tell I am liking it so far coming from a HD-555. That said looks like I'll have to do a return.

Top Bottom